PDA

View Full Version : The easiest way to solve flopping

Annyong!
09-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Allow rougher basketball again. Weak ticky tack calls have made it easy for people to fake ticky tack contact. You fling your head up, and the whistle blows. If contact is allowed, it takes something much more obvious for a foul to be called, thus faking hard contact is hard to do. Think of it this way, it is much easier to fake that somebody touched you than to fake that somebody pushed you back 3 feet. If you flop by jumping back 3 feet, it will need to be obvious that some strong contact was made, thus complete fabricated fouls will mostly disappear.

FKAri
09-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Players are more athletic than they were 30 years ago. There will be more injuries if you allow more contact inside or when a player is airborne. They could allow more perimeter contact tho.

Vancouver-Grizz
09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Easiest way is to suspend obvious flopping with no pay.

There were a lot of terrible flopping through out last season and if they implement this, I am sure they will stop it ASAP.

RedBlackAttack
09-08-2016, 03:40 PM
The rules are already in place to essentially kill the kind of flagrant flopping we often see in the NBA. They just need to follow the protocols and, when reviewing the film, take appropriate action and fine/suspend the offenders.

These guys do not want to be labeled as "floppers." If a guy actually has to think about potential consequences of over-selling a call or manufacturing one by tricking the official, that will kill the worst of the worst... especially any of the big names who might be taking part.

The problem is, the NBA rarely enforcing its own rules and they continually allow flagrant flopping. Yes, guys are occasionally fined, but there seems to be no consistency and they never really drop the hammer so everyone stands up and takes notice.

Silver is the best commissioner in sports, imo, but this is one area he needs improve upon.

Hey Yo
09-08-2016, 04:12 PM
I don't recall any player last season being fined for flopping. Not that there wasn't but.....just saying.

Annyong!
09-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Players are more athletic than they were 30 years ago. There will be more injuries if you allow more contact inside or when a player is airborne. They could allow more perimeter contact tho.
Contact was still allowed just 12 years ago, and contact wasn't an issue for injuries then :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
09-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I don't recall any player last season being fined for flopping. Not that there wasn't but.....just saying.

That is because they have phased out the flopping rule for no good reason whatsoever... which is the point I clumsily tried to make above.

History of the anti-flop rule:

2015-16

4/23/16
The NBA fined Marcus Smart (Bos) $5,000 for his flop during Friday's
Bos-Atl game.

2014-15

5/20/15
The NBA fined Stephen Curry (GS) $5,000 for his flop during Tuesday's
GS-Hou game.

5/9/15
The NBA fined Glen Davis (LAC) $5,000 for flopping during Friday's LAC-Hou
game.

5/7/15
The NBA fined Corey Brewer (Hou) $5,000 for his flop during Wednesday's
Hou-LAC game.

3/19/15
The NBA fined Marcin Gortat (Was) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Wednesday's Was-Uta game.

1/15/15
The NBA fined P.J. Hairston (Cha) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Wednesday's Cha-SA game.

1/6/15
The NBA fined C.J. Watson (Ind) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Monday's Uta-Ind game.

2013-14

6/9/14
The NBA fined Dwyane Wade (Mia) $5,000 for flopping during Sunday's Mia-SA
game.

5/29/14
The NBA fined Lance Stephenson (Ind) $10,000 for his flop during
Wednesday's Ind-Mia game. It was his 2nd flop ruling of the playoffs.

5/29/14
The NBA fined Roy Hibbert (Ind) $5,000 for his flop during Wednesday's
Ind-Mia game.

5/28/14
The NBA fined Tiago Splitter (SA) $5,000 for his flop during Tuesday's
OKC-SA game.

5/21/14
The NBA fined Lance Stephenson (Ind) $5,000 for flopping during Tuesday's
Mia-Ind game.

4/1/14
The NBA fined Brandon Jennings (Det) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Monday's Det-Mil game.

2/19/14
The NBA fined P.J. Tucker (Pho) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Tuesday's Den-Pho game.

2/6/14
The NBA fined Mario Chalmers (Mia) $5,000 for his 2nd flop ruling of the
season.

1/21/14
The NBA fined Lance Stephenson (Ind) $5,000 for his flop during Monday's
GS-Ind game (his 2nd flop ruling of the season).

12/9/13
The NBA fined Corey Brewer (Min) $5,000 for his 2nd flopping violation.
The incident occurred during Friday's Min-Mia game.

11/11/13
The NBA fined James Harden (Hou) $5,000 for his second flop violation of
the season.

2012-13

6/15/13
The NBA fined Chris Bosh (Mia) $5,000 for his flop during Thursday's
Mia-SA Game 4.

5/30/13
The NBA fined LeBron James (Mia) $5,000 for his flop in Tuesday's Mia-Ind
Game 4.

5/30/13
The NBA fined Lance Stephenson (Ind) $5,000 for his flop in Tuesday's
Mia-Ind Game 4.

5/30/13
The NBA fined David West (Ind) $5,000 for his flop in Tuesday's Mia-Ind
Game 4.

5/24/13
The NBA fined Tony Allen (Mem) $5,000 for his flop in Tuesday's Mem-SA
game 2.

5/10/13
The NBA fined J.R. Smith (NY) $5,000 for his flop during Sunday's Ind-NY
game.

5/6/13
The NBA fined Derek Fisher (OKC) $5,000 for his flop during during
Wednesday's OKC-Hou Game 5.

5/5/13
The NBA fined Jeff Pendergraph (Ind) $5,000 for his flop during
Wednesday's Atl-Ind game.

3/29/13
The NBA fined Omer Asik (Hou) $5,000 for his 2nd flopping ruling for his
flop during the March 24 SA-Hou game.

1/23/13
The NBA fined Kevin Martin (OKC) $5,000 for his 2nd flopping ruling. The
flop occurred during the January 20 OKC-Den game.

1/21/13
The NBA fined J.J. Barea (Min) $5,000 for his 2nd flop ruling of the
season. The flop occurred during the January 14 Dal-Min game.

12/30/12
The NBA issued flopping warnings to Gustavo Ayon (Orl) (during the 12/26
NO-Orl game), Royal Ivey (Phi) (during the 12/26 Phi-Mem game), and Tony
Parker (SA) (during the 12/28 Hou-SA game).

12/12/12
The NBA issued a flopping warning to Zaza Pachulia (Atl) for his flop
during Friday's Atl-Was game.

12/5/12
The NBA fined Gerald Wallace (Bro) $5,000 for flopping during Saturday's
Mia-Bro game [a fine is issued for the 2nd ruling of a player flopping].

12/5/12
The NBA issued a warning to Chauncey Billups (LAC) for flopping during
Wednesday's Uta-LAC game.

11/21/12
The NBA fined Reggie Evans (Bro) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flopping
offense, which occurred during Tuesday's Bro-LAL game.

11/5/12
The NBA issued a warning to J.J. Barea (Min) for flopping in the 11/2
Min-Sac game.

11/5/12
The NBA issued a warning to Donald Sloan (Cle) for flopping in the 11/2
Cle-Chi game.

Hey Yo
09-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Phased it out or players doing it less blatantly (less dramatized) to where they're letting the smaller incidents go w/o a fine?

Crazy looking at the numbers over the last few years and there was only 1 player fined last season.

RedBlackAttack
09-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Phased it out or players doing it less blatantly (less dramatized) to where they're letting the smaller incidents go w/o a fine?

Crazy looking at the numbers over the last few years and there was only 1 player fined last season.
You tell me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7QPt9E4218

That was as bad an attempt to fool an official as I've ever seen on the game's biggest stage. And, to make it worse, he did it successfully ... and, because there was no enforcement of any rule, he continued to do it throughout the series.

And, I'm not even blaming Varejao. He flopped for us for years and I guess it was weird cosmic karma that he ended up coming back and biting us with that bullsh!t, but that is just one example that immediately popped in my head.

Here is the one time they did enforce the fine the past season. Marcus Smart performs probably the worst flop I have ever seen in my life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjCWcrtH_M

If anything, the flopping has gotten worse imo.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
09-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Maybe incentivise it for players who don't flop like Steph? You have WB, KD, Kyrie and Bron looking like fish over any small contact and getting to the line but what about players with too much pride and self respect to flop?

fourkicks44
09-08-2016, 04:56 PM
TBH I just except it has part of the game now. Especially since the Miami championships with Wade and Lebron taking it to a new level. The game has changed and that is part of it.

Sarcastic
09-08-2016, 04:58 PM

No they're not, and that has nothing to do with why they restrict physical play. The reason they don't want physical play is that they don't want to see another Malice at the Palace incident. That was the turning point for the NBA.

Hey Yo
09-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah...both bad, but is the same amount happening over the course of the season as the previous years and they're just not calling them out with a fine?

I just don't recall a massive amount committed last season/big deal being made by fans (not that I watch every game) to where the league should be questioned whether they're still enforcing the rule closely or not.

Hey Yo
09-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Maybe incentivise it for players who don't flop like Steph? You have WB, KD, Kyrie and Bron looking like fish over any small contact and getting to the line but what about players with too much pride and self respect to flop?
Steph fined 5 grand for flopping.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/originals/2015/05/20/curry-flop-fine.nba/

Hey Yo
09-08-2016, 05:09 PM
No they're not, and that has nothing to do with why they restrict physical play. The reason they don't want physical play is that they don't want to see another Malice at the Palace incident. That was the turning point for the NBA.
Physical play didn't cause Artest to go into the stands. His idiocy got the best of him.

With so much money invested in players over the last 10yrs, compared to 30yrs ago.....league doesn't want to lose star players due to physical play which can lead to fist fights, which leads to major injuries.

Bite it in the ass before it even has a chance to escalate.

FKAri
09-08-2016, 06:05 PM
No. That's the Malice is why they are quick to call technicals and they have more security at games. In terms of contact in the paint: It's the same as it was in the early 00's.

Regarding the OP: They could definitely be doing more than they are right now to prevent flopping.

tpols
09-08-2016, 07:21 PM
that would make the game a true competition though ... the league wants to have control over outcomes .. they dont want a repeat of spurs detroit .. they want ratings, they want money.

tpols
09-08-2016, 07:23 PM
No. That's the Malice is why they are quick to call technicals and they have more security at games. In terms of contact in the paint: It's the same as it was in the early 00's.

:biggums:

no way.. the flagrant rules are way tighter, and the camera has become a much bigger microscope.

FKAri
09-08-2016, 10:07 PM
:biggums:

no way.. the flagrant rules are way tighter, and the camera has become a much bigger microscope.
That's what I mean. Technicals and flagrants are tighter but contact fouls (in the paint) are called the same.

iamgine
09-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah just enforce the fine and maybe add suspension as well. That's all, enforcement.

ILLsmak
09-08-2016, 11:24 PM
I don't think people even care about flopping anymore. I think fans get wet when they see their team flop and the refs get tricked into it. It's just like hack a Shaq, sucks when it's happening to your team but when it's happening on your side you're like yessss yesss!!!

-Smak

iamgine
09-09-2016, 12:57 AM
I don't think people even care about flopping anymore. I think fans get wet when they see their team flop and the refs get tricked into it. It's just like hack a Shaq, sucks when it's happening to your team but when it's happening on your side you're like yessss yesss!!!

-Smak
I don't know about that. I think most people when they see flopping are glad when their team gains an advantage, but they realize it's shameful method. While hack a Shaq isn't shameful at all, it's simply exploiting the opponent's weakness.

fourkicks44
09-09-2016, 04:38 AM
I don't know about that. I think most people when they see flopping are glad when their team gains an advantage, but they realize it's shameful method. While hack a Shaq isn't shameful at all, it's simply exploiting the opponent's weakness.

Lebron stans realize it is shameful?