PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol vs Shawn Kemp - who's the bette player?

Human Error
09-10-2016, 04:31 AM
Shawn Kemp
Career: 1,051 games, 14.6 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 bpg, FG 48.8%
Peak(95~96): 19.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, FG 56.1%

Pau Gasol
Career: 1,055 games, 18.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.7 bpg, FG 51.0%
Peak(08~11, 3 year avg): 18.7 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.5 bpg, FG 54.4%

I'd go with Gasol. More versatile, had a longer peak, and is consistent as hell.

AirBonner
09-10-2016, 04:35 AM
Shawn Kemp
Career: 1,051 games, 14.6 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 bpg, FG 48.8%
Peak(95~96): 19.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, FG 56.1%

Pau Gasol
Career: 1,055 games, 18.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.7 bpg, FG 51.0%
Peak(08~11, 3 year avg): 18.7 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.5 bpg, FG 54.4%

I'd go with Gasol. More versatile, had a longer peak, and is consistent as hell.
Gasol easily.

FreezingTsmoove
09-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Shawn Kemp

Go ask Bulls fans how they feel about Pau Gasol :oldlol:

BigKAT
09-10-2016, 05:04 AM
Wow.

Gasol just does not end.
Duncan-ish longetivity.

Did you see the guy become the MVP of the Euro Tournament in 15'?
He had some awesome games, shot 5-7 from 3pt range in one, I think.

Not to mention his performences for the Bulls, being an all star for them and what not.

I have not watched enough of Kemp, but boy Pau is awesome.

aj1987
09-10-2016, 05:23 AM
Shawn Kemp

Go ask Bulls fans how they feel about Pau Gasol :oldlol:
Dude, 19/12/3/2 on 49%. He defense wasn't all that, but I'd have that dude for $7M in a heartbeat.

Pau and it's not even close TBH.

Round Mound
09-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Gasol...get real.

Bless Mathews
09-10-2016, 05:32 AM
If I can have 5 year peak?

Shawn kemps 5 year peak.

Any day.

All day.

Uncle Drew
09-10-2016, 06:53 AM

Shawn kemps 5 year peak.

Any day.

All day.
5 year peaks don't exist. Hence why it's called peak.

AintNoSunshine
09-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Terrible comparison. Gasol miles better.

Lebron23
09-10-2016, 07:29 AM
Pau Gasol is the better player

2x NBA Champion
*2010 NBA Finals MVP

Human Error
09-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Shawn kemps 5 year peak.

Any day.

All day.
Kemp's peak didn't last long.

Kool Boy
09-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Gasol

raprap
09-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Gasol. Better post player, passer, defender and bball iq

Kemp was an insane athlete with scoring talent but didn't really have a long enough prime to compare with Pau's longevity

D-Wait
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
A much better comparison would be Kemp vs. Blake Griffin...

Gasol is just too different a player and pretty much everyone would go with him over Kemp

SamuraiSWISH
09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Meh, I take Kemp. Pre babies and weight gain of course. Gasol is more skilled due to his passing. But everything else is I'm the Reign Man's favor.

I think Paula Gasoft wouldn't be as effective in a bigger, and much more physical 90's NBA. He can't take physicality until this day.

tpols
09-10-2016, 11:23 AM
A much better comparison would be Kemp vs. Blake Griffin...

Gasol is just too different a player and pretty much everyone would go with him over Kemp

well thats wierd ... because blake griffin has shown himself to be damn near MVP caliber at times and pau has been a fringe top 10 player at his best... you guys are rewriting history something serious.

Rake2204
09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Loved watching Shawn Kemp play and easily one of my favorite dunkers of all-time. If I was going for flat out entertainment, I'd go with him.

Head-to-head in terms of ability and basketball skill though? It seems Pau Gasol would take that matchup easily. Kemp had moments where he was very good, but I don't think it's enough to overwhelm what Gasol displayed for years and years.

I think Gasol is destined to have himself a nice post-career following once people begin looking at his career as a whole instead of his game in the here & now (on the backside of career at this point).

Lastly, and this is not a bash on Kobe Bryant by any means, but I've always scoffed at the notion that Bryant "won two titles on his own". Winning two rings "on his own" would have been going back-to-back with the squads he had in the mid-2000's. And there's a reason teams like that don't win rings... because it's a team game. But then again, there's also a reason the Lakers rose back to prominence only after the acquisition of Pau Gasol (just the same, there's a reason Pau Gasol never won until he hit L.A.). Either way, I think he's way more responsible for those two Lakers championships than most have ever given him credit up to this point. Hopefully he gets more of that shine as time carries on.

Doranku
09-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Loved watching Shawn Kemp play and easily one of my favorite dunkers of all-time. If I was going for flat out entertainment, I'd go with him.

Head-to-head in terms of ability and basketball skill though? It seems Pau Gasol would take that matchup easily. Kemp had moments where he was very good, but I don't think it's enough to overwhelm what Gasol displayed for years and years.

I think Gasol is destined to have himself a nice post-career following once people begin looking at his career as a whole instead of his game in the here & now (on the backside of career at this point).

Lastly, and this is not a bash on Kobe Bryant by any means, but I've always scoffed at the notion that Bryant "won two titles on his own". Winning two rings "on his own" would have been going back-to-back with the squads he had in the mid-2000's. And there's a reason teams like that don't win rings... because it's a team game. But then again, there's also a reason the Lakers rose back to prominence only after the acquisition of Pau Gasol (just the same, there's a reason Pau Gasol never won until he hit L.A.). Either way, I think he's way more responsible for those two Lakers championships than most have ever given him credit up to this point. Hopefully he gets more of that shine as time carries on.

This is somewhat disingenuous. The Lakers were the #1 seed in the West halfway in the season before the Lakers even acquired Gasol in 2008.

Granted, that wouldn't have stuck since Bynum went down right before LA picked up Gasol, but still. It looked like the Lakers had found their way before Gasol even came to town.

GimmeThat
09-10-2016, 12:10 PM
whatever your choice is, it's most likely a direct challenge to H2H stats and it's way to evaluate players (player's greatness)

swagga
09-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Meh, I take Kemp. Pre babies and weight gain of course. Gasol is more skilled due to his passing. But everything else is I'm the Reign Man's favor.

I think Paula Gasoft wouldn't be as effective in a bigger, and much more physical 90's NBA. He can't take physicality until this day.

cmon son wtf, kemp was a dumb monkeyballer while peak pau was in the ****ing olympic squad ass two finals in a row while putting FMVP stats in the finals. It's not even a discussion. It's like between tmac and lebron.

bigkingsfan
09-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Kemp is the better playa.

D-Wait
09-10-2016, 09:09 PM
well thats wierd ... because blake griffin has shown himself to be damn near MVP caliber at times and pau has been a fringe top 10 player at his best... you guys are rewriting history something serious.

Meh... as far as impact on the game goes, Griffin is surely not on another level than Gasol was...
Also, the comparison between Kemp and Griffin was solely based on their playing style

L.Kizzle
09-10-2016, 09:23 PM
When they were at their absolute best, Kemp was the better player slightly. But Gasol has had a better career. I mean Kemp was from 91-00 at his best. 10 years is pretty consistent too. But Gasol was even more consistent. He's put up damn near the same numbers his whole career 16 seasons.

Kemp should have still be an All-Star level player by age 33, his last year in the league. By comparison, Karl Malone was still an All-Star in Kemp's last season.

Big164
09-10-2016, 11:39 PM
It doesn't say much for MJs legacy, when his strongest finals comp was barely gasol level.

D.J.
09-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Kemp/Blake or Kemp/Amare would be better comparisons. Pau's ball IQ is far superior to Kemp's.

Gotterdammerung
09-11-2016, 04:03 AM
If I was drafting a player, and my team was shitty? I'd pick Gasol over Kemp, obviously. Better health, stronger focus, longer career. Easier to build around. :oldlol:

But if I was in the Finals facing an all-time great team? And that I had everything else on my team, say a legitimate low post scorer and shotblocking center, plus a wide array of shooters and a passing system? Kemp would be the cherry on the sundae, the highlight dunker that fired up my team and the crowd. But he can't be my best player.

Kemp was the better player for a very short time during his career. A fierce weak side shotblocker, and a great roll man off the pick. Gasol has the edge in everything else: low post scoring, rebounding, passing.

It really depends on what you already have on your team, if we're talking about the NBA.

bizil
09-11-2016, 04:42 AM
Kemp was more of true PF while Pau was more of PF-C combo. At their peaks, I REALLY think u could go either way. GOAT wise, Pau wins this argument. Peak wise, it could really depend on what your team needs. A more true PF or a PF-C combo. But to be frank, THESE are the great comparisons in terms of peak value to debate about. Kemp made more All Star games, but overall Pau is more decorated across the board.

tanibanana
09-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Pau by a decent margin.

Won 2-championships, more impact in international hoops, been more relevant longer, and an overall better career.

JohnnySic
09-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Gasol was more skilled but I think Kemp would be an insanely difficult matchup for him. Quick, strong, ran the floor like a gazelle, and one of the most explosive athletes ever. Think prime Amare only bigger and more explosive. I could see Gasol getting dunked on ala Alton Lister: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2GaAWdHwsw

jbryan1984
09-11-2016, 10:15 AM
The answer is easily Gasol. 15-16 years in and he is still such a great player. Kemp fell off the map by about his 10th year. There was a time however Kemp was such a big name, probably bigger than GP on the Sonics even though Payton ended up having a far better career.

I remember when the Cavs got him, I was so excited as a 12 year old kid. I felt like we had a try franchise player. He made a few Allstar teams with us but he wasn't like his Seattle days. And by the time he left us, he was washed up.

JohnnySic
09-11-2016, 10:21 AM
As I remember it, the lockout of '98-'99 really hurt Kemp. That's when he got fat.

ClipperRevival
09-11-2016, 04:35 PM
It doesn't say much for MJs legacy, when his strongest finals comp was barely gasol level.

:oldlol: Stay salty Wilt fan, stay salty.

ClipperRevival
09-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Peak wise, it's close but I would take Gasol knowing what I know now. He is one of the more skilled bigs EVER. Old school, back to the basket game. His left was about as good as any big. He also had the size to provide some rim protection and grab a ton of boards. Also, in his prime, he had the mobility to run in transition. He wasn't just a stationary big.

Real14
09-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Pau is slightly better.

bizil
09-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Skill for skill across the board on both sides of the court, I think Gasol is a top 10 PF of all time in the all around sense. He has a great post game with lots of tricks. He has a great midrange game. He's a great passer for a big man. He can control the paint defensively better than most PF's.

In many respects, he's ACTUALLY similar to Duncan, but just not as dominant. But by the time his career is over, he's gonna have over 20,000 and 10,000 boards. He's easily an HOFer, I don't see how it can even be debated. Only negative is he wasn't as dominant as his peers like KG, Duncan, and Dirk.

RRR3
09-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Blake is fringe top 10 at best though lol