PDA

View Full Version : True Or False: AI Was More Athletic Than John Wall

CTbasketball92
09-12-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm saying true. Wall is bigger and prob. jumps as high

but I don't actually think he's quite as quick or as fast as AI and his lateral quickness and body control in the half court aren't nearly as good.

CuhGetsBucks
09-12-2016, 08:25 PM
I think this is false, John Wall is the fastest player in a time where we are at the peak of extremely athletic Point Guards. No knock on AI, Wall is just a freak of nature.

egokiller
09-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Was John Wall also recruited by top level schools for his ability in football? If not, how can he even be considered against 2-dimensional AI?

ImKobe
09-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Wall is 3-4 inches taller and just as fast (if not faster) with more hops

CTbasketball92
09-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Wall is 3-4 inches taller and just as fast (if not faster) with more hops

Definitely not more hops. I'd say these dunks are more impressive than any Wall had in college or the NBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cft2Cv5Ojvo

But yeah, I think it's close. It's just that AI was legitimately a five star football prospect as well as being the top bball player in the nation. He was so skinny, but also so strong and changed directions more fluidly than Wall, while also being able to weave his way through defenders mid-air better.

AI's athleticism is prob. a bit slept on. Wall is still great, though.

LostCause
09-12-2016, 10:10 PM
Probably Iverson. As for hops, Iverson had a higher vert (41 to Wall's 39)

Kool Boy
09-12-2016, 10:17 PM
AI and his sexy Bod tbh

JohnMax
09-12-2016, 10:33 PM
If Curry had Iverson's athleticism, he'd be GOAT.
If Curry had Wall's athleticism, he'd be a worse player.

Wall/Westbrook/Lebron need a head of steam, can run only in straight lines or jump off one foot (left leg). Iverson is more athletic than all of them combined.

CuhGetsBucks
09-12-2016, 11:25 PM

Wall/Westbrook/Lebron need a head of steam, can run only in straight lines or jump off one foot (left leg). Iverson is more athletic than all of them combined.
Bob yall really just be on this website saying anything huh? How would having one of the top if not the top athleticism in the league harm you?

Ben Simmons
09-13-2016, 12:01 AM

Iverson is more athletic than westbrook and lebron combined? :biggums:

RRR3
09-13-2016, 12:17 AM
JohnMax has the IQ of a severely disabled hamster.

Bankaii
09-13-2016, 01:30 PM

There is literally not one true statement in this entire post. Not one.
People joke when they call you retarder but it's looking kinda true lol.

artificial
09-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Definitely not more hops. I'd say these dunks are more impressive than any Wall had in college or the NBA

Man, Iverson unguarded in so many of those dunks, a testament to how fast he was. He literally got there before anyone else. Even in those where there are other players, it looks like only he is in fast-forward :oldlol:

Smoke117
09-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Iverson is quicker and more nimble...Wall is more explosive.

ralph_i_el
09-13-2016, 02:17 PM

But yeah, I think it's close. It's just that AI was legitimately a five star football prospect as well as being the top bball player in the nation. He was so skinny, but also so strong and changed directions more fluidly than Wall, while also being able to weave his way through defenders mid-air better.

AI's athleticism is prob. a bit slept on. Wall is still great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSmE0ELHEE

Wall also has 2 360's layups through contact.....in consecutive games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSmE0ELHEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CRRHeNrHBg

Wall would have been a highly recruited football player, but he was forbidden to continue playing by his basketball coach. One site I found actually compared him to a young Allen Iverson as a football player.

Pointguard
09-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Iverson has quickness, explosion, agility, balance and jumping. Wall has speed, coordination and strength. I would give AI endurance as well. So I got AI.

Clifton
09-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Wall is so overrated. It makes my soul hurt every time he's talked about on here.

A better athlete than ALLEN IVERSON? Is there no limit to the mass delusion that can surround this player?

NBA players who are greater athletes than Allen Iverson, you can probably name me a half-dozen. But after Jordan and Lebron, it gets really dicey, and I would start to argue with you. It wouldn't reach John Wall.

Red Flame
09-15-2016, 01:25 AM
false John Wall is the better athlete

G-train
09-15-2016, 02:03 AM
Iverson

CeltsGarlic
09-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Havent seen much J Wall, huh?
He is one of those strange guys, like my one friend, who feels more comfortable going of right foot and dunking with left hand.

GimmeThat
09-15-2016, 06:07 AM
what's with the Dwayne Wade agenda as of late?

kshutts1
09-15-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure anyone that has played is more athletic than Iverson.

But the people I'd consider are...
Wilt
Lebron
MJ
Westbrook
Nate Robinson

But then there's a line between athleticism and size, and with Wilt and Lebron, while they're impressive.. how much of that is because we're not used to someone that large being that athletic? As opposed to just their flat-out athleticism?

bizil
09-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Both for their sizes I would consider freak athletes! But I think might lean to Wall EVEN THOUGH the guys like an AI and KJ seemed more impressive to me because of their smaller stature. But overall, u could make the case that Westbrook, Rose, and Wall are the three most athletic PG's of all time.

theaussieguy
09-16-2016, 04:33 AM

Wilt
Lebron
MJ
Westbrook
Nate Robinson

But then there's a line between athleticism and size, and with Wilt and Lebron, while they're impressive.. how much of that is because we're not used to someone that large being that athletic? As opposed to just their flat-out athleticism?

true, Iverson is just a freak. Wall is an elite athlete in every sense of the word but he isn't a freak like Iverson. Iverson did things someone of his size and height just isn't supposed to.

Clifton
09-16-2016, 07:02 AM

Wilt
Lebron
MJ
Westbrook
Nate Robinson
Exactly. Wilt probably had the more amazing body, but he didn't do as much with it as Iverson did. Is Wilt still the greater athlete? I'd contend that he's not.

Westbrook and Nate Robinson are freaks as well. They have also proven to be fairly durable. The reason I have AI over them is because of all the invention that he could do in the halfcourt. The ballhandling, creating space, finding the right spot for himself or for the ball every time... his athleticism was a combination of physical and mental. His brain told him where to go and he was able to go there. That's why, to me, no one who wasn't one of the best players in the league at some point could be on a level with AI as an athlete. If you're just a dumb body, who cares?

Pointguard
09-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Exactly. Wilt probably had the more amazing body, but he didn't do as much with it as Iverson did. Is Wilt still the greater athlete? I'd contend that he's not.

Westbrook and Nate Robinson are freaks as well. They have also proven to be fairly durable. The reason I have AI over them is because of all the invention that he could do in the halfcourt. The ballhandling, creating space, finding the right spot for himself or for the ball every time... his athleticism was a combination of physical and mental. His brain told him where to go and he was able to go there. That's why, to me, no one who wasn't one of the best players in the league at some point could be on a level with AI as an athlete. If you're just a dumb body, who cares?
Wilt used his athletism as much as anybody. Coaches didn't use him to run or on back screens where he would have stood out even more. Pretty sure you were using him as a example anyway.

Great point about using your athleticism. Dominique was a freak very similar to Iverson. Would have lead the league in scoring four or five years if it weren't for Jordan I think. It was on agility, explosion and jumping - he was a more active Vince Carter of athleticism as both weren't the fastest or quickest.

I did a thread of the few players that had the whole gamut of speed, quickness, balance, strength, explosion, jumping, endurance, agility, dexterity coordination and balance. The elite were Wilt, Jordan, Lebron, healthy Wade and Rose as these guys were the most complete athletes. And all had at least three categories were they were the best at their position in (except Wade obviously). The next tier of Dominique, Iverson, Nate Robinson, David Robinson, Pippen, Westbrook and Doc all were great but had two or more categories where they weren't elite or great in.

Annyong!
09-16-2016, 11:46 AM
False, but he did have a quicker first step.

ralph_i_el
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Wall is stronger and faster than AI

AI may be the most agile player ever though.

Wall is like 5 inches taller than AI. Can't expect him to be as graceful

PeroAntic
09-16-2016, 04:10 PM
DRose is Iverson and Wall combined.

kshutts1
09-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Wilt used his athletism as much as anybody. Coaches didn't use him to run or on back screens where he would have stood out even more. Pretty sure you were using him as a example anyway.

Great point about using your athleticism. Dominique was a freak very similar to Iverson. Would have lead the league in scoring four or five years if it weren't for Jordan I think. It was on agility, explosion and jumping - he was a more active Vince Carter of athleticism as both weren't the fastest or quickest.

I did a thread of the few players that had the whole gamut of speed, quickness, balance, strength, explosion, jumping, endurance, agility, dexterity coordination and balance. The elite were Wilt, Jordan, Lebron, healthy Wade and Rose as these guys were the most complete athletes. And all had at least three categories were they were the best at their position in (except Wade obviously). The next tier of Dominique, Iverson, Nate Robinson, David Robinson, Pippen, Westbrook and Doc all were great but had two or more categories where they weren't elite or great in.
Speaking only of Iverson, Nate and Westbrook, as they're the 3 I mentioned, in what areas are they not elite?

Iverson -- Strength is the only one I can fathom. But that's all relative. I'm pretty sure he was ridiculously strong for his size (one of the few times when size matters)

Westbrook -- ? Dexterity maybe?

Nate -- Pretty clueless here, too.

Smoke117
09-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Speaking only of Iverson, Nate and Westbrook, as they're the 3 I mentioned, in what areas are they not elite?

Iverson -- Strength is the only one I can fathom. But that's all relative. I'm pretty sure he was ridiculously strong for his size (one of the few times when size matters)

No...he was never particularly strong..how could he be? He hated to train and barely ever did any weight lifting to get stronger. He and CP3 are around the same size and Paul is clearly much stronger if you watched both players.

ai9
09-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Don't forget that AI was going at it for 40+ minutes per game.

Pointguard
09-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Nate and Westbrook are not in the same class as Rose or Iverson in agility, quickness, dexterity and coordination. Rose and AI crossovers are better because of superior balance as well. Nate jumps high but shouldn't be in the conversation otherwise. Rose is the only player I ever seen start behind Lebron and dunk on him going full court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04uyfgVgjY

Kool Boy
09-18-2016, 10:38 AM
true

Euroleague
09-18-2016, 10:30 PM
WTF? Young AI was way more athletic than Wall is.

Why is this even a debate?

julizaver
09-20-2016, 08:18 AM
AI was considered among the fastest player in college history prior to his NBA debut. I cosnider Wall close to AI in atletic department not the opposite.

AI rookie All-star game in 1997 (alley oop at 2:44 and no only this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9XdVREDfuY

ralph_i_el
09-20-2016, 11:46 AM
WTF? Young AI was way more athletic than Wall is.

Why is this even a debate?

:rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJArUkDnrjg

Not only has Wall been the fastest player with the ball in his hand, he doesn't lose speed with his left hand. Nobody is "way more athletic than Wall is"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk4rGK6d0OY

almost dead even with a gold-medal sprinter:

CTbasketball92
09-20-2016, 02:50 PM
That alley oop from the 97 rookie sophomore game is ridiculous. Iverson's standing reach prob. isn't more than like 7'10"-8'0," and both of his hands are about 15 inches above the rim. If he were just putting his one arm up, he'd be about 17-20 inches above the rim. That's insane for someone who's 6 feet tops, and he did it so casually.