PDA

View Full Version : Which young player would you rather have - Justise Winslow or Devin Booker?

Human Error
09-13-2016, 09:10 PM
I think Miami should have drafted Booker in last year's draft and I think Booker will have a better career, but Ira Windermann who is a beat writer of Miami Sun-Sentinel says that Winslow fits the Miami Heat culture better and will be a better pro than Booker. What do you all think?

FKAri
09-13-2016, 09:20 PM
I don't see a lot of natural offensive ability in Winslow. I see him as being a workhorse type of player in his career; not a star. Booker has star potential.

GrapeApe
09-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Booker may indeed have a higher ceiling, but I'd rather have Winslow. At worst he'll be a perennial all-defense guy. He's more versatile than Booker and he can defend 1-4. He's athletic enough to defend smaller players and strong enough to defend bigger players. I also think he's a guy who will bring championship level intangibles. He may never be a true championship centerpiece, but he's the type of player who does the little things that every contender needs.

His offense is obviously a work in progress, but he's a solid ball handler and has a good first step. He's also intelligent. His acumen for the game is extremely impressive for a 20 year old. The Heat used him as a point forward at times last season, mainly because they trusted him to make good decisions. His main weakness is his perimeter shooting, which admittedly is downright ugly. If he can develop into a somewhat decent shooter, he'll be an all-star.

Jameerthefear
09-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Booker. Winslow is a bit overrated

RRR3
09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Winslow, although I'm really biased.

People on ISH act like Booker is the second coming of Steph Curry.

G-train
09-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Winslow, based on what we know now.
Far more advanced defensively, and I believe his offence will improve. Proven solid player on playoff team.
Not 100% on how good Booker is yet, put up numbers on horrible team.
But definitely has big potential and could be a star one day.

Smoke117
09-14-2016, 12:01 AM
Winslow is raw...but he has the talent and work ethic to be an all star. Now it's about building and refining skills for him. With Wade gone his development should accelerate.

Proctor
09-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Winslow is severely overrated somehow. He's promising for sure but he's way too raw to justify picking him over Booker. Booker is legitimate right here and right now.

Milbuck
09-14-2016, 12:06 AM
I'd take Booker, and this is coming from a guy who thinks Winslow will be an all-star in his prime if he can get his jumpshot together.

Booker is extremely talented offensively..crazy naturally skilled and has an outstanding feel for the game. He just gets it offensively, I found myself in disbelief that he was 18-19 at times watching him. Dude has handles, shoots from everywhere, has playmaking potential, great footwork, smooth athlete, crafty. He has a really good shot to be the best SG in the game in his prime imo. Had his struggles and his advanced metrics aren't good but that's going to be the case at his age and on a terrible team. But the flashes were there. I think he tops out as a Klay/Harden hybrid.

FreezingTsmoove
09-14-2016, 12:26 AM
Ill take the guy with the potential to be an elite defender over a guy who was arguable the worst defender in the NBA last year (given how many minutes he played)

I need to see more from Booker defensively because he and Phoenix as a whole were absolutely terrible on defense

BigKAT
09-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Booker is awesome.

But like someone here mentioned,

I think you get stats from booker.
But something about Winslow makes me think he'll get you wins.
Much like other underrated guys who don't put on monster stats.

Marc Gasol, for example doesn't blow your mind if you read the box score, but if you watch the game you see he does a ton of little, intelligent things on defense, and even on offense, lots of hocky assists, moving in the right direction, stuff like that.

I think Winslow can optimally grow to be that kind of guy. Maybe a super glue guy. But I don't think he's a franchise player. Neither of them is, imo.

atljonesbro
09-14-2016, 12:44 AM
Easily Booker. The only reason people say Winslow is because he plays for Miami "doe".

PJR
09-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Justise Winslow.

Booker showed a high level of shot creation for a young player, but was nothing short of abysmal on defense. And he's got physical limitations that I believe will always keep him a minus defender.

Winslow was on the opposite end of the spectrum, where he was largely a train wreck on offense, but a grown man on defense. Showing the versatility on that end to guard three posistions. We'll see how much Winslow can grow offensively, but I certainly feel more confident in Winslow's development on offense, than I do Booker becoming a plus defender.

It's like picking between JJ Reddick and Michael Kidd Gilchrist right now.

tpols
09-14-2016, 05:36 PM
winslow cant shoot at all .. his cieling would be a tony allen type to me. Booker has all the skills to light the current league up.

G-train
09-14-2016, 06:54 PM
winslow cant shoot at all .. his cieling would be a tony allen type to me. Booker has all the skills to light the current league up.

He is a vastly better shooter than Allen at the same age.

He shot the same %, but has made 32 in one season, to Allen's 106 in 11 seasons.

His form is more correctable than Allen's clunky brick hack heave hoe garbage.

FreezingTsmoove
09-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Justice Winslow is his prime is basically a rich mans Robeson from the Thunder

tpols
09-14-2016, 07:44 PM
He is a vastly better shooter than Allen at the same age.

He shot the same %, but has made 32 in one season, to Allen's 106 in 11 seasons.

His form is more correctable than Allen's clunky brick hack heave hoe garbage.

they are both very poor shooters.. and i highly doubt he ever becomes a good one. Guys that have relied on freak athleticism and strength their whole lives dont just become good to great shooters.. their muscle memory is for the most part already set, its not that pliable.

G-train
09-14-2016, 08:31 PM
they are both very poor shooters.. and i highly doubt he ever becomes a good one. Guys that have relied on freak athleticism and strength their whole lives dont just become good to great shooters.. their muscle memory is for the most part already set, its not that pliable.

He doesn't even need to be a good shooter, just respectable.
He has changed his form in the off-season so it is smoother, with a different stance, grip and shoulder position.
Keep in mind he shot 42% in 3 attempts per game at Duke, he just didn't adapt to the longer NBA distance well in his rookie season.
There are below average NBA shooters like JW, and woeful shooters like Allen.
I foresee a three a game at 30% for JW this season, and it slowly improving further over time. Much better than the likes of Allen. Comparing someone that made 32 threes as a 19 year old to someone who has made 100 in 11 seasons is not a good comparison.

FreezingTsmoove
09-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Miami also has some of the best shooting coaches in the league

They get the best out of everyone

tpols
09-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Miami also has some of the best shooting coaches in the league

They get the best out of everyone

you wouldnt be able to tell watchin them in the playoffs.

Prime_Shaq
09-14-2016, 11:47 PM
http://valleyofthesuns.com/files/2015/12/devin-booker-nba-dallas-mavericks-phoenix-suns1.jpg

This handsome mofo

Pushxx
09-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Devin Booker.

NuggetsFan
09-14-2016, 11:58 PM
I'd take Booker right now pretty easily. Just because he has a much higher ceiling. I think Winslow had one of the safest floors you can find in the draft. He has a chance to wind up an amazing high end role player/solid 3rd option type but at the very worst he's a capable player who can play a decent role on a winning team. His height seems fudged too. They added an extra 2 inches in shoes and he measured on 6'4.5 without them. He's fine defensively but he's not tall enough to just use his big body/athletic ability to bully people offensively especially given he'll see time at the 4.

He just is very limited offensively. Not a great shooter, not a great passer, not a great 1 vs 1 player, not great in the post, doesn't have a great handle. He's athletic, can finish plays, play in transition, and finish around the basket. Someone like Jaylen Brown is raw offensively but shows potential in certain areas. Best case for Winslow to me anyways is he becomes average in those areas and that along with his elite defense, rebounding, positional versatility will make him an elite role player. Booker has the passing, shooting, offensive talent to be a focal point offensively and while his defense is brutal I'm more confident that improves to atleast slightly below average than Winslow developing into an All-Star offensively.

I loved Winslow in the draft because how safe he was a prospect but even offensively in college with him playing alot of PF at Duke kinda helped hide his offensive flaws a little bit. Miami used him as a SF/SG/PF this year and didn't they also play him at C for a little bit in the playoffs? His defense makes him crazy versatile but offensively he's never going to be that guy. I'd rather an offensive superstar or star with average D than an elite defensive role player with average offense unless I already had those "star" pieces.

Ceiling = Booker
Floor = Winslow

Unless your Cleveland/GS/Clippers etc. not sure why you'd take the guy with the lower ceiling after there rookie season. Maybe 2 years from now if Booker hasn't took off you take Winslow.

G-train
09-15-2016, 12:09 AM
you wouldnt be able to tell watchin them in the playoffs.

4th in FG% and 7th in 3PT% in the playoffs.

G-train
09-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Best case for Winslow to me anyways is he becomes average in those areas and that along with his elite defense, rebounding, positional versatility will make him an elite role player.

Elite 'role players' are stars amongst their organisations, just maybe not on the allstar ballot.
This guy is gonna be a 6'6 Tony Allen, but with better offence (already is better). That's just an ELITE player.

Booker has shown he can average 17 a game on an abhorrent team (when they played him 30+ mins). I've seen a lot of guys do that. Potential is there for more obviously. However he may not even start this season with both guards back. With NO defence.

And physically, Booker is like a 6'6 Lebron. He is a 230 pound bull with 5% body fat. Which impacts games alone, as he knows how to use it. Booker has alot of physical development to come.

I still prefer Winslow for his known contributions on a relatively successful team and in meaningful games.

And when you look at advanved stats like VORP, BPM, WS, WS/48... Winslow comfortably was better last season already.

NuggetsFan
09-15-2016, 12:49 AM
Elite 'role players' are stars amongst their organisations, just maybe not on the allstar ballot.
This guy is gonna be a 6'6 Tony Allen, but with better offence (already is better). That's just an ELITE player.

Booker has shown he can average 17 a game on an abhorrent team (when they played him 30+ mins). I've seen a lot of guys do that. Potential is there for more obviously. However he may not even start this season with both guards back. With NO defence.

And physically, Booker is like a 6'6 Lebron. He is a 230 pound bull with 5% body fat. Which impacts games alone, as he knows how to use it. Booker has alot of physical development to come.

I still prefer Winslow for his known contributions on a relatively successful team and in meaningful games.

And when you look at advanved stats like VORP, BPM, WS, WS/48... Winslow comfortably was better last season already.

Yeah among there teams, not the league. Lately for most fans it's just about 3-4 teams in the league and championships. Everybody else needs a franchise player. A guy who they can build around to make playoff runs. That's far more valuable than an elite role player. The elite role player is more valuable to the teams that already have those guys. Booker has potential to be that guy which is why more people are higher on him. Winslow is without a doubt that safer choice tho. Personally on the Nuggets I'd take Winslow. A few years ago would have preferred Booker. Booker to me has potential to be the better individual player.

Winslow deff isn't LeBron. He's more Jimmy Butler with less height. Winslow got an extra 2 inches in shoes for some reason. Butler is 1.5 inches taller with similar strength, body, and a more natural offensive feel for the game.

Bookers numbers take a hit during the first 2 months of the season. To me the most underrated area of his game was his playmaking. He showed some serious potential there and combined with his shooting/scoring that screams potential star to me. Guys who can do both offensively tend to have bright futures regardless of there defense which is easier to improve than it is to hit an entirely different level offensively. Booker isn't just Kevin Martin or something or atleast his game doesn't project to be that.

I agree with the averaging good numbers on bad teams. Anything under 25 wins is scary territory. PHX was there last year. Booker was a rookie tho, and the talent in PHX simply wasn't there. If they were in there 3rd year than yeah I'd be with you but too early for that argument especially given Winslow was simply on a much better team. Elite defense and intangibles look much worse when surrounded with no talent if your not a big man. Winslow wouldn't have carried PHX defensively. I just don't think you take 1 rookie over another because he helped contribute on a good team when there situations were entirely different. Similar situations sure. I mean Carmelo made the playoffs as a rookie and LeBron missed out.

ClipperRevival
09-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I would say this is true for the most part.

Crown&Coke
09-15-2016, 02:30 PM
I have very high hopes for Booker. A little bit of young BRoy in his game. Kid is someone I want to watch all the time. He has a fearlessness that oozes out of his game

Winslow's problem is the game is trending away from his type. RonRon type, muscles bursting, defense first are going towards the way of the stretch 4. Dude does a lot, but the lack of shooting is not just a glaring hole, it is a sinkhole that will only get bigger if he doesn't remedy it.