PDA

View Full Version : Why is Wiggins so bad at assists, rebounding, and overall defense?

Screamin A Smit
09-18-2016, 07:59 PM
The funny thing is that the dude was hyped as an all-around player back in 2014.

Is he just a black-hole on offense?

LostCause
09-18-2016, 08:05 PM
He's no Lebron type all around player but he has the potential to be a great two-way player. Just needs to develop, he's only been in the league 2 years and improved between them. He takes far too many long 2's, though

Thibs should help him reach his potential and we'll see some significant improvements from him all-around, imo

Screamin A Smit
09-18-2016, 08:10 PM
He's no Lebron type all around player but he has the potential to be a great two-way player. Just needs to develop, he's only been in the league 2 years and improved between them. He takes far too many long 2's, though

Thibs should help him reach his potential and we'll see some significant improvements from him all-around, imo

Umm.. he's been a below average defender so far. Advanced stats and eye-test back this up.

IGOTGAME
09-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Umm.. he's been a below average defender so far. Advanced stats and eye-test back this up.

okay, what did want out of this thread? just confirmation.

Kid has the tools to improve defensively. You'd know that if you've watched him.

LostCause
09-18-2016, 08:14 PM
That's why I said he still needs to develop. Thibs should help considerably to get him focused more defensively, especially

GrapeApe
09-18-2016, 08:15 PM
He was never hyped as a playmaker, and even in college he was regarded as an average ball handler at best. His rebounding has been a bit disappointing though. With his length and athleticism, there's no reason he should be averaging less than 4 rpg. Personally I always thought his defense was overrated. More than anything, people were enamored with his physical gifts. He LOOKS like a great defender, but he's never really shown that ability. He's still young though. I think he will develop into a very good defender under Thibs.

Ben Simmons
09-18-2016, 08:18 PM
he was never a good rebounder or assist maker, nor should he have been projected to be

His defense though needs work

RunWithThePack3
09-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Based on the pure athleticism he has, he definitely has the potential to be a good defender. Thibs will bring that out of him. If he improves his shooting as well, he will be a big problem for the rest of the league.

Screamin A Smit
09-18-2016, 08:35 PM
LeBron at Wiggins current age: 31/7/6 on 48% FG :yaohappy:

G-train
09-18-2016, 08:42 PM

Lebron is arguably one of the few best players ever.

RunWithThePack3
09-18-2016, 09:11 PM

This would be a fantastic post if anyone in the world thinks Wiggins is going to be anywhere near Lebron. Just stupid man.

GrapeApe
09-18-2016, 09:23 PM

Those were Lebron's numbers in his 3rd season. Not that Wiggins is going to produce like that next year, but nobody is claiming he's Lebron. I could see Wiggins in the neighborhood of 23/5/3 on 47%, which is pretty damn good for a 21 year old.

Dray n Klay
09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Those were Lebron's numbers in his 3rd season. Not that Wiggins is going to produce like that next year, but nobody is claiming he's Lebron. I could see Wiggins in the neighborhood of 23/5/3 on 47%, which is pretty damn good for a 21 year old.

He was the same age as last years Wiggins :confusedshrug:

egokiller
09-18-2016, 11:20 PM
This would be a fantastic post if anyone in the world thinks Wiggins is going to be anywhere near Lebron. Just stupid man.

Kid makes lebron look worse every time he posts. Never seen anything quite like it. Maverick Carter would probably pay OP to not post online if he was aware of the kid's existence.

LostCause
09-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Ego has been shitting all over the Lebron dickriders :roll:

Pointguard
09-18-2016, 11:32 PM
He has the coach now that will make sure all of that will change now.

ClipperRevival
09-19-2016, 01:52 AM
Wiggins has so far played 163 games on 35.7 mpg while putting up these numbers.

4.1 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg, .6 bpg

For a guy 6'8", long and ultra athletic, that's pretty bad, especially his reb numbers. Everyone knew he had motivational, "killer instinct" type issues coming out of college. Defense is also about desire. All these things tell me he's not as engaged as he should be when he's on the court. He's got to correct this. But sometimes this stuff is not correctable. You can't teach desire. If he keeps playing half interested, he might end up like a Gay type player. He's capable of so much more tough.

Im so nba'd out
09-19-2016, 05:29 PM
not the best handles so he cant break down the defense like that to get people open

cherry picker

he would try harder on defense is someone held him accountable and the team was good.

answered all your questions

WolfGang
09-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Never going to be an Allstar. He isn't very good at actually playing basketball. He just has a gifted body. Jabari imo is miles ahead of him as a player even though he has played less. Wiggins could be a badass trash man tho.

Milbuck
09-19-2016, 09:50 PM
His defense will be fine long term. His lack of focus and motor isn't going to fly under Thibs. Young wings often suck defensively unless they have the right coach (PG/Vogel, Kawhi/Pop, etc). Wiggins has that now, I think he'll be one of the better defenders in time.

I'm concerned about his offense though. Doesn't have that natural court vision to elevate his teammates, nor is are his handles smooth beyond 2-3 dribbles. He's going to be a volume scorer but I don't think he's going to be a dynamic, high impact player offensively. His playmaking instincts and weak handles are something that are always going to limit him imo.

JtotheIzzo
09-19-2016, 10:46 PM
The Wolves were a poor defensive team last year, most players have bad defensives stats.

Rubio and Lavine hold onto the ball way too long, Wiggins is not often in a postition to be a playmaker or creator.

Wiggins was often set up too far from the rim to be an effective rebounder.

Too many Wolves coasted last year.

With good coaching the Wolves will see big improvements across the board, Wiggins stands to gain the most from Thibs.

Lets see year three before we cast aspersions.

And RE: LeBron, he is the third best player of all time, lets adjust our projedtions slightly.

How about Dominique Wilkins:

yr. 1 17.5ppg
yr. 2 21.6ppg

sound familiar?

ClipperRevival
09-19-2016, 11:01 PM
The Wolves were a poor defensive team last year, most players have bad defensives stats.

Rubio and Lavine hold onto the ball way too long, Wiggins is not often in a postition to be a playmaker or creator.

Wiggins was often set up too far from the rim to be an effective rebounder.

Too many Wolves coasted last year.

With good coaching the Wolves will see big improvements across the board, Wiggins stands to gain the most from Thibs.

Lets see year three before we cast aspersions.

And RE: LeBron, he is the third best player of all time, lets adjust our projedtions slightly.

How about Dominique Wilkins:

yr. 1 17.5ppg
yr. 2 21.6ppg

sound familiar?

Nique then went on to average 28.0 ppg over the next 10 years. Wiggins needs to worry more about impacting the game in more ways than trying to do something he almost has no chance of doing. He's got the tools, it will be his mind that determines how far he goes. But talent only takes you so far, there has to be something inside that drives you to be great.

PP34Deuce
09-20-2016, 10:50 AM
He's going to be very good defensively. Thibs won't play you if you don't play adequate defense.

That Minny team has potential scaring talent. They are uber athletic at 3 positions with great size.

bizil
09-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Some people need to calm down!!! LOL Dude is ONLY 20 years old. BUT he's averaged 19 points during his career so far. So AT LEAST he's coming along good there.

He was projected to be a swingman who can be a great two way player. I'm not really worried about his assists as much BECAUSE he was never seen as primary ballhandler kind of player. Or a guy who would play in a point forward capacity.

So over time, I think Wiggins will start growing into his body and become more physical. Those two things ALONE should help him on the boards and defense. But it's TOO EARLY to get on Wiggins too hard. He's only 20 AND has already shown very good promise scoring the rock.

BigKAT
09-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Some people need to calm down!!! LOL Dude is ONLY 20 years old. BUT he's averaged 19 points during his career so far. So AT LEAST he's coming along good there.

He was projected to be a swingman who can be a great two way player. I'm not really worried about his assists as much BECAUSE he was never seen as primary ballhandler kind of player. Or guy a guy who would play in a point forward capacity.

So over time, I think Wiggins will start growing into his body and become more physical. Those two things ALONE should help him on the boards and defense. But it's TOO EARLY to get on Wiggins too hard. He's only 20 AND has already shown very good promise scoring the rock.

:rockon:
Nothing more to add to that.