PDA

View Full Version : Referee Points of Emphasis for 2017

LostCause
09-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Couple of things the refs are gonna be cracking down on next year:

Groin hits - Draymond Green rule. They'll be more attentive to catching these things and getting rid of them

Traveling - Mainly the dribble after a shooter is run off the line. They've routinely gotten away with an extra step, apparently they're going to be calling this more often (Obviously won't last long)

More freedom of movement without the ball - Easily a rule to free up shooters. Will probably lead to more foul calls when physical defense is played to moving shooters, ie bumping and pushing while chasing them around. Think how Cleveland defended Curry. Prepare to see more 3's

Replay Refs get more power - Apparently there's an owners vote going around to determine how much power replay refs get and allow them the final say on reviewed calls.

Thoughts? :confusedshrug:

aj1987
09-23-2016, 03:08 AM
Couple of things the refs are gonna be cracking down on next year:

Groin hits - Draymond Green rule. They'll be more attentive to catching these things and getting rid of them

Traveling - Mainly the dribble after a shooter is run off the line. They've routinely gotten away with an extra step, apparently they're going to be calling this more often (Obviously won't last long)

More freedom of movement without the ball - Easily a rule to free up shooters. Will probably lead to more foul calls when physical defense is played to moving shooters, ie bumping and pushing while chasing them around. Think how Cleveland defended Curry. Prepare to see more 3's

Replay Refs get more power - Apparently there's an owners vote going around to determine how much power replay refs get and allow them the final say on reviewed calls.

The third one is just retarded. Now we'll get to watch more chuckers bricking over 65% of their threes every game.

Don't mind the rest though. They should also clamp down on flopping. For instance, the first one could be a warning and the second onwards a suspension (flop number +2 games suspension for each additional flop).

BigKAT
09-23-2016, 04:39 AM
I hate replay center.

They use it so much nowdays, I mean yeah it's crucial late game and on important stuff. But you need to wait 3-4 minutes just to get that stuff done with. Really ruins the flow of the game.

I can't argue with the benefits of having it, but I just wish it could be done faster.

Annyong!
09-23-2016, 10:28 AM
I hate replay center.

They use it so much nowdays, I mean yeah it's crucial late game and on important stuff. But you need to wait 3-4 minutes just to get that stuff done with. Really ruins the flow of the game.

I can't argue with the benefits of having it, but I just wish it could be done faster.
This is why it is best to give more power to non-court refs watching replays. It will speed things up if the on-court refs don't have to stand to the side for 3-4 minutes watching replays.

RedBlackAttack
09-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Hilarious.

This is obviously the penalty the teams around the NBA will suffer due to teams in the playoffs finding ways of defending the Warriors. It would be fine if they also cracked down on moving screens and making sure the screener is completely set before picking off a defender, on and off the ball. But no. We get an ambiguous "freedom of movement" emphasis... but it only applies to the offense. Defensive players will continue to have their movement restricted I'm sure.

LostCause
09-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Yeah, and here I thought Curry couldn't have a better shooting season than the one he just did but this will certainly make that task significantly easier for him if defenders will be penalized for being physical chasing him around\

Though while its obvious it helps GSW far more than anyone else, most other teams should get a boost out of this as well. Offensive players becoming more and more untouchable

ralph_i_el
09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
The third one is just retarded. Now we'll get to watch more chuckers bricking over 65% of their threes every game.

Don't mind the rest though. They should also clamp down on flopping. For instance, the first one could be a warning and the second onwards a suspension (flop number +2 games suspension for each additional flop).

Who wants to see players being held down off the ball? How is that even basketball?

I played water polo in college, and it is similar. In polo, holding guys is legal most of the time, because they guy is allowed freedom to break out of the hold. In NBA that isn't the case. You shouldn't be allowed to stop a player from running around off the ball.

sammichoffate
09-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Don't mind the rest though. They should also clamp down on flopping. For instance, the first one could be a warning and the second onwards a suspension (flop number +2 games suspension for each additional flop).They're never gonna do that for players like Lebron, so they added in the third rule to benefit players like Steph

bdreason
09-23-2016, 03:04 PM
:

Game. Set. Match. :applause:

qrich
09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Adam Silver continues on with the magic of helping his favorite team. :applause:

RedBlackAttack
09-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Who wants to see players being held down off the ball? How is that even basketball?

I played water polo in college, and it is similar. In polo, holding guys is legal most of the time, because they guy is allowed freedom to break out of the hold. In NBA that isn't the case. You shouldn't be allowed to stop a player from running around off the ball.

There is a pretty obvious counter argument to this, though, and also something that has been brought up countless times since the growth of the "pace and space" offense.

If they're going to crack down on physical play by the defense off the ball, they need to do the same thing for being overly physical offensively off the ball. Golden State, in particular, has developed a system of screening that is almost purposely exploiting officials' tendancies to not call moving screens. Multiple times on every possession they toe that line and often go well over it with no whistles.

Bogut was the master of it, and that includes being physical with a screen up to holding a guy's arm and making it look like they just got tangled up or even that it was initiated by the defender.

In fact, this is written in a way to make it clear that only freedom of movement on offense is important to the league... further incentivizing the screeners to continue toeing the line between a legal and illegal screen, because the defense can't fight fire with fire and get physical back.

The softening of the league continues with the advantage clearly given to a specific team. I've never quite seen anything like it.

El Gato Negro
09-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Following the NFLs lead in trying to handicap defense, so that more points get scored. Just going to lead to more blowouts and one sided games. Depending on who is hot from three.

El Gato Negro
09-24-2016, 03:50 AM
There is a pretty obvious counter argument to this, though, and also something that has been brought up countless times since the growth of the "pace and space" offense.

If they're going to crack down on physical play by the defense off the ball, they need to do the same thing for being overly physical offensively off the ball. Golden State, in particular, has developed a system of screening that is almost purposely exploiting officials' tendancies to not call moving screens. Multiple times on every possession they toe that line and often go well over it with no whistles.

Bogut was the master of it, and that includes being physical with a screen up to holding a guy's arm and making it look like they just got tangled up or even that it was initiated by the defender.

In fact, this is written in a way to make it clear that only freedom of movement on offense is important to the league... further incentivizing the screeners to continue toeing the line between a legal and illegal screen, because the defense can't fight fire with fire and get physical back.

The softening of the league continues with the advantage clearly given to a specific team. I've never quite seen anything like it.to be fair the cavs got dam good at using those same moving screens against gs, this could back fire as gs lost their best screener and I'm not sure they are capable of playing defense without grabbing, hacking, holding and kicking their opponents.

Kblaze8855
09-24-2016, 12:15 PM
This is obviously the penalty the teams around the NBA will suffer due to teams in the playoffs finding ways of defending the Warriors.

ITs more the penalty for playing modern sports. Leagues like offense because casual fans do.

The NBA has been killing defenses ever since they saw the Pacers/Pistons have that series around 04 with 6 games under 70 points. Game 6 I think was like 67-69.

Pistons/Nets/Pacers/Knicks/Heat/Spurs pretty much ushered in this nonsense by being too focused on slowing it down and winning ugly. It didnt bother me....but go look at some of those scores. Same season the Pistons/Pacers uglied it up in the playoffs the Pistons held like 6 teams under 70 points in a row...then the Nets hit 71 on like...a buzzer beater. Remember Sheed clowining them for trying so hard not to be held to 69 points?

They played in the playoffs and the Pistons won something like 75-58.

Stern wasnt gonna allow that to continue.

Kblaze8855
09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
The Nets had 39 points in the 4th quarter of a playoff game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDfs4rQUIY

You just know someone walked into a meeting with David Stern the next morning to:

http://i66.tinypic.com/fbltw2.jpg

Charlie Sheen
09-24-2016, 12:38 PM

There's an emphasis on traveling every year. It lasts maybe the first few weeks of the season before loosening up to the way it was called the years before. Not a big deal.

Warriorsfan86
09-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Things will be back to normal by the end of November. Happens all the time

Achilleas
09-24-2016, 01:25 PM
they only call travel on rookies :confusedshrug: