PDA

View Full Version : GM David griffin have made JR Smith incredibly competitive and aggressive offer

Lebron23
09-28-2016, 01:34 AM
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/27/gm-david-griffin-cavaliers-have-made-j-r-smith-incredibly-competitive-and-aggressive-offer/

It's about damn time.

bdreason
09-28-2016, 01:49 AM
Turn it down JR. You deserve more. They don't appreciate you.

G-train
09-28-2016, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't be signing for any less than Luol Deng who got 4/72m

G-train
09-28-2016, 02:29 AM
And you can call it crazy, but Deng got that, Turner got 4/70, mozgov 4/64, Parsons 4/94, Fournier 5/85, Noah 4/72, Bazemore 4/70, Mahinmi 4/64, Barnes 4/94, Crabbe 4/75...........

HenryGarfunkle
09-28-2016, 02:29 AM
Stupid. JR Smith is gonna be a major bust next season. Kick him to the curb and sign Gary Neal for cheap.

32MJ32
09-28-2016, 02:45 AM
And you can call it crazy, but Deng got that, Turner got 4/70, mozgov 4/64, Parsons 4/94, Fournier 5/85, Noah 4/72, Bazemore 4/70, Mahinmi 4/64, Barnes 4/94, Crabbe 4/75...........

Yep.

It's wrong, but it's right.

You are not crazy.

Orlando Magic
09-28-2016, 09:05 AM
How quickly people forget that JR Smith was considered a throwaway back when he first came to the Cavs.

It's probable that living in boring Cleveland, having a legit shot at a title and LeBron's guidance are what "righted" him, so to speak. He's not worth 4/70. No way. You don't sign guys to bad contracts because the rest of the league is giving away bad contracts. That's shortsighted at best and idiotic at worst.

That being said, he is an important part of the Cavs' success and if they don't re-sign him they're going to hurt badly.

They both need each other.

Jameerthefear
09-28-2016, 10:27 AM
most of those guys are better than jr tho

HurricaneKid
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Its so aggressive and competitive he wouldn't even leak the offer? Doesn't sound too aggressive to me...

RedBlackAttack
09-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Deng has never crashed and burned the way JR did in New York. Where are all the other teams lining up to pay JR $15 million a year? Because Deng tested his worth and that was the salary that the market dictated.

Smith has been free to do the same thing in the last couple months and I'm sure if he were getting offers of $17.5 million a year for 4 seasons, the Cavs would be made aware of it.

JR is important to the Cavs, but on teams that aren't as talented and don't have LeBron James on them? Well, that's a little riskier than Luol Deng ... as evidenced by the Knicks having to lose Shumpert and a 1st round pick in order to unload JR's $6.5 million a year contract

All things considered, he should take this offer and be thrilled that he has landed in such a perfect situation with his career on the skids.

DukeDelonte13
09-28-2016, 02:27 PM
nothing to see here. Rich Paul just being an ass with contract negotiations just like he was with Eric Bledsoe and Tristan Thompson.

I could honestly care less if the Cavs sign JR this year. Sure they could use him, but I hope the cavs and the rest of the NBA stop empowering Rich Paul's ransom demands.

PP34Deuce
09-28-2016, 02:37 PM
JR has no leverage. Like others said, if he was a commodity someone would have snatched him by now.

I believe the Cavs have no issue paying him 15 million a year, they just want to do a short deal and I believe he wants a 4-5 year deal. If I'm the Cavs, giving JR that much security can be dangerous.

Give JR a 3 year deal at 15-16 million with a player option for year 3. If he takes year 3, you have an expirer for a 3 and D player.

jrjim
09-28-2016, 02:41 PM

You're worth what you can leverage, and you cant really leverage much without a competing offer. I'm sure whatever JR ends up signing for wont be much higher than the offer he got in July. Same thing happened with TT last year, and he only got like 500K/year extra

HurricaneKid
09-28-2016, 04:34 PM
You're worth what you can leverage, and you cant really leverage much without a competing offer. I'm sure whatever JR ends up signing for wont be much higher than the offer he got in July. Same thing happened with TT last year, and he only got like 500K/year extra

Is that all? 500k/yr for 5 years? And for all that the only thing he had to do was not show up for work? To extend his vacation?

Bill Gates would take that deal. You must be some kind of high roller.

Here is JRs leverage:

Kyrie is an injury prone PG. They lost his backup to FA. They lost the backup to the backup PG to retirement. The only other PG on the squad right now is a 5'7" late second round pick. The SG spot is far worse. Without JR they have Iman Shumpert, who was dreadful last year AND is REALLY injury prone. His backup is Jordan McCrae who is a decent slasher but horrific defender and non-NBA player JUST LAST YEAR (played on several different 10 day deals for multiple teams but spent the majority of the year playing in the NBDL).

That's it. Not only do they need to pay JR, they need to get at least another G. Because from where I sit, they have 1 G that would see any min for GSW on their roster without JR.

RedBlackAttack
09-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Is that all? 500k/yr for 5 years? And for all that the only thing he had to do was not show up for work? To extend his vacation?

Bill Gates would take that deal. You must be some kind of high roller.

Here is JRs leverage:

Kyrie is an injury prone PG. They lost his backup to FA. They lost the backup to the backup PG to retirement. The only other PG on the squad right now is a 5'7" late second round pick. The SG spot is far worse. Without JR they have Iman Shumpert, who was dreadful last year AND is REALLY injury prone. His backup is Jordan McCrae who is a decent slasher but horrific defender and non-NBA player JUST LAST YEAR (played on several different 10 day deals for multiple teams but spent the majority of the year playing in the NBDL).

That's it. Not only do they need to pay JR, they need to get at least another G. Because from where I sit, they have 1 G that would see any min for GSW on their roster without JR.
So ... his leverage is that he can sit out the season if he doesn't get more than what the Cavs are offering? I guess that is true, but $15 million is more than $0. He doesn't have any offers -- as far as we know -- even close to what the Cavs are giving him.

Sitting out and burning bridges with the franchise who you've resurrected your career with while they have a perfectly reasonable offer on the table seems counterproductive to me.

bdreason
09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
I thought the Wolves were offering him $15m per. Don't settle for anything less JR. This is your last big payday, even though you'll be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement regardless of how much you make.

HurricaneKid
09-28-2016, 06:35 PM
So ... his leverage is that he can sit out the season if he doesn't get more than what the Cavs are offering? I guess that is true, but $15 million is more than $0. He doesn't have any offers -- as far as we know -- even close to what the Cavs are giving him.

Sitting out and burning bridges with the franchise who you've resurrected your career with while they have a perfectly reasonable offer on the table seems counterproductive to me.

He didn't get any serious offers because he professed his love for Cleveland. Why would a team bother to make an offer?

And when Kyrie rolls his ankle a week into the season and the Cavs roll out a 5'7" 2nd rd pick and Shump, with NOTHING to back either of them up, JR can double his demands.

Without JRs 8 pt run in the 3rd qtr of G7 they lose. He was a HUGE part of that championship and his advanced metrics **** on any of his peers that are getting significantly more money.

NBAGOAT
09-28-2016, 06:57 PM
JR deserves 15 and I think he'll take that if the Cavs offer it to him.. He's basically a 3 and D guy with shot creation ability but also knows his role on the Cavs. That's a fantastic player.

G-train
09-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Deng has never crashed and burned the way JR did in New York. Where are all the other teams lining up to pay JR $15 million a year? Because Deng tested his worth and that was the salary that the market dictated.

Smith has been free to do the same thing in the last couple months and I'm sure if he were getting offers of $17.5 million a year for 4 seasons, the Cavs would be made aware of it.

JR is important to the Cavs, but on teams that aren't as talented and don't have LeBron James on them? Well, that's a little riskier than Luol Deng ... as evidenced by the Knicks having to lose Shumpert and a 1st round pick in order to unload JR's $6.5 million a year contract

All things considered, he should take this offer and be thrilled that he has landed in such a perfect situation with his career on the skids.

JR Smith would 100% have $15-17m a year over 3-4 year offers available to him.

But he wants to stay in Cleveland, and not play for the 76ers or the Nets.

Deng crashed and burned last season. He was horrible for than half the season, then finally relented to playing power forward.
He owes Spo about half that money.

G-train
09-28-2016, 07:12 PM
most of those guys are better than jr tho

And?

I said he should get the Deng money, and put the other guys that are a bit better getting 20m more than that.

He's at least the equal of Deng and Turner IMO.
And much better than Mozgov.

RedBlackAttack
09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
He didn't get any serious offers because he professed his love for Cleveland. Why would a team bother to make an offer?

And when Kyrie rolls his ankle a week into the season and the Cavs roll out a 5'7" 2nd rd pick and Shump, with NOTHING to back either of them up, JR can double his demands.

Without JRs 8 pt run in the 3rd qtr of G7 they lose. He was a HUGE part of that championship and his advanced metrics **** on any of his peers that are getting significantly more money.
If teams wanted him badly enough, they'd make offers.

I'm not minimizing his role on the team. I'm saying he will end up taking what the Cavs are willing to offer ... which will be far and away the most.

G-train
09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
People need to be up to speed with the current and incoming salary climate.

What should I expect though, when I said TT was doing the right thing last season and ended up underpaid and was MOCKED.

He'd get 90-100m if he was a FA today.

G-train
09-28-2016, 07:17 PM
If teams wanted him badly enough, they'd make offers.

I'm not minimizing his role on the team. I'm saying he will end up taking what the Cavs are willing to offer ... which will be far and away the most.

3 and D championship players get paid.
The average starter salary is $15m now.

A 3 and D starter starter with explosive 3 point shooting would be getting offers starting at $60m.

The problem is JR let it known (to his agents disgust) that he wasn't going anywhere.

RedBlackAttack
09-28-2016, 07:19 PM
People need to be up to speed with the current and incoming salary climate.

What should I expect though, when I said TT was doing the right thing last season and ended up underpaid and was MOCKED.

He'd get 90-100m if he was a FA today.
Not mocked by me. I thought his contract last year was perfectly reasonable and I knew this was going to happen.

TT is also proven to be one of the best lockerroom guys in the league and exactly the kind of person you'd want on any team. He hasn't missed a single game since he was drafted and is quickly becoming one of the best of the NBA's ironmen.

Teams aren't just going to dismiss what happened with JR in New York, nor should they. On any other team, he's a real risk. The reason he has "professed" his love for the franchise is because he is smart enough to know this is the perfect situation for him.

He was being paid $6.5 million a couple years ago in New York and they did everything in their power NOT to have to pay him. That matters quite a lot.

retaxis
09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
People name dropped Deng here so lets have a look.

Deng is asked to do the following
- defend 2-4 (more wear and tear playing in the post)
- Be a veteran and a teacher on the team
- Do a lot of losing on the Lakers (great to win on the lakers, not so much to lose)
- Also Deng has a 6-9 length and frame which automatically makes him more valuable as he can take guards down in the post (something JR can not do reliably)
- Deng is also a proven veteran and good locker room presence

This is why Deng is getting paid for his services

JR is getting paid for one thing and one thing only
- Get open and shoot the 3 pt shot

He doesn't have to be a veteran leader, He can't take advantage of any switches (unless his name is Stephen Curry), he doesn't have to be a locker room presence and best of all, he gets to do a lot of winning which is great (who wants to lose right?)

Also RBA mentioned and I totally agree that JR smith on any other team is likely to be a net loss due to slacking off once he gets paid and likely going back to his old habits..Imagine if JR goes to Philly and gets Ben Simmons hooked on weed? What if JR goes to Minny and shows up Wiggins as a poor shooter/player and destroys the confidence of one of their cornerstone guys?

JR is valuable to the Cavaliers however his role of spot up shooting and playing some defence is not worth the money someone like Deng or Parsons is getting because they are asked to do a lot more on and off the court.

D-Wait
10-15-2016, 02:20 AM
Give JR a 3 year deal at 15-16 million with a player option for year 3. If he takes year 3, you have an expirer for a 3 and D player.

You were almost correct. :lol 3 years guaranteed at 15 mill./per... 4th year is apparently a Team Option