PDA

View Full Version : What does Golden State do with Curry's salary next year?

BigKAT
09-28-2016, 03:02 PM
He's earning about 11-13 million right now.

Next year he'll be a free agent, and likely due to a 30 million contract. (Or close to it.)

What does Golden state do?
Who do they unload?

What kind of team can they possibly assemble with an extra 20 million on an already problematic salary distribution?

west_tip
09-28-2016, 03:40 PM
What kind of team can they possibly assemble with an extra 20 million on an already problematic salary distribution?

I don't know much about the financials in the NBA, is the extra $20 million offset by the fact that the salary cap is going to expand or has expanded?

TheWinningFam
09-28-2016, 03:45 PM
probably let iguadala go or get destroyed by luxury tax.

Honestly GS will have problems with depth in the future cuz of cap space, an injury to prone durant/curry will \ FK them bad...

http://replygif.net/i/804.gif

Spurs m8
09-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Trade Klay

HurricaneKid
09-28-2016, 04:23 PM
As long as KD takes a 20% increase when he opts out they can go as far over the cap as they want to resign him. And if KD takes his 20% pay raise they won't need to get rid of ANYONE.

Understand, taking that 20% pay increase is a considerable amount less than he could make, but if he DOES demand the max the Warriors would have to trade Iggy. Which wouldn't go over well in the locker room.

Klay and Dray are locked up long term at 16-18M/. The Dubs cap looks breathtaking. They WILL lose Livingston after this year.

But so what.

I wish SOMEONE here had any kind of clue when it comes to the CBA. Its like playing ball without knowing the rules. ALWAYS KNOW THE RULES.

BigKAT
09-28-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't know much about the financials in the NBA, is the extra $20 million offset by the fact that the salary cap is going to expand or has expanded?

Will likely expand.
I'm not overly familier with the details but it still seems like a major problem to suddenly add 20 million to a team that already had to let go of some good bench players.

But yeah Iggy seems like the most likely victim next year.

Crown&Coke
09-28-2016, 04:44 PM
They have his bird rights and have already stated they will go over the cap to field a great team.

The sequence of events is the only thing to think about. If KD opts out, they have to sign him first with the available cap space they got because they wouldn't have his bird rights. Then they max out Steph.

Think of how the Spurs got LA. They had to deal Splitter to ATL to get the max slot for LA via cap space and then maxed out Leonard using his bird rights. Two max players, while only needing to create enough cap space for one max slot.

They will probably keep Iggy and Livingston as they will have their full bird rights too, to they can go over the cap to re-sign them if they wish.

The influx of cap space probably benefited GSW more than any other team imo

BigKAT
09-28-2016, 04:49 PM
They have his bird rights and have already stated they will go over the cap to field a great team.

The sequence of events is the only thing to think about. If KD opts out, they have to sign him first with the available cap space they got because they wouldn't have his bird rights. Then they max out Steph.

Think of how the Spurs got LA. They had to deal Splitter to ATL to get the max slot for LA via cap space and then maxed out Leonard using his bird rights. Two max players, while only needing to create enough cap space for one max slot.

They will probably keep Iggy and Livingston as they will have their full bird rights too, to they can go over the cap to re-sign them if they wish.

The influx of cap space probably benefited GSW more than any other team imo

What does that mean for their Tax paying?
Assuming their payroll would be in the 130 Million, if nothing changes.
Can they field this team as long as they pay the tax?

Crown&Coke
09-28-2016, 04:57 PM
What does that mean for their Tax paying?
Assuming their payroll would be in the 130 Million, if nothing changes.
Can they field this team as long as they pay the tax?

I'm not totally clear on their luxury tax, as it is tiered now. I don't know if they were a tax paying team last year; that will impact their tax amount in the coming years if they don't dip below the luxury tax by the end of a bball year.

But as it stands, there is nothing preventing them from ballooning their payroll via paying their own guys using their bird rights (or KD if they sign him first via cap space)

As long as the ownership is willing to pay the taxes associated with fielding the team, there is nothing stopping them.

Spurs m8
09-28-2016, 05:43 PM
As long as KD takes a 20% increase when he opts out they can go as far over the cap as they want to resign him. And if KD takes his 20% pay raise they won't need to get rid of ANYONE.

Understand, taking that 20% pay increase is a considerable amount less than he could make, but if he DOES demand the max the Warriors would have to trade Iggy. Which wouldn't go over well in the locker room.

Klay and Dray are locked up long term at 16-18M/. The Dubs cap looks breathtaking. They WILL lose Livingston after this year.

But so what.

I wish SOMEONE here had any kind of clue when it comes to the CBA. Its like playing ball without knowing the rules. ALWAYS KNOW THE RULES.

You're dreaming.

HurricaneKid
09-28-2016, 06:25 PM
You're dreaming.

Dreaming what? That KD takes 32M instead of 35.7M? If that money means the team will keep Iggy I'm sure its already been discussed and acknowledged as a certainty.