PDA

View Full Version : Is the Winslow hype justified?

BigKAT
10-04-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure how much of a hype he actually has among Heat faithfuls.
Any fans here to testify? You guys see him as your next cornerstone?

I've seen him get lots of attention on the Media and on the Heat's advertising for the next season. And he does seem to get lots of minutes.

The most I've watched him play is during the playoffs and he seemed pretty good for a rookie.

His offense isn't that special and he doesn't seem to be top 5 in his rookie class in that regard. But his physical build is one that makes you wonder if he could get points sheerly by forcing himself to the line and finishing plays created by others with success.

His defense is a given, since Spo trusted him with some nice minutes and even placed him at C in the playoffs (Which he was okay in, not extraordinary, and had reasonble limitations.)

But the thing is, adding athleticism is impossible, improving as a defender seems less common in that age, improving a jumpshot is more feasible so I think his potential is quite interesting.

All-star in the making? Or just the next MKG? (Which is not a bad thing at all. Just, not THAT impressive. MKG is great.)

HenryGarfunkle
10-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Winslow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMw1GmJzF6A

BigKAT
10-04-2016, 12:06 AM
Winslow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMw1GmJzF6A

Yes - 0
No - 1

G-train
10-04-2016, 12:23 AM
The hype is pretty limited and realistic IMO.

The expectation is that he will be a solid starter in 16/17 and hopefully improve to near allstar level over 4-5 years.

The expectation is based on his elite NBA body, age of 20, strong defensive skills, strong IQ and good work ethic.

His shot was broke last season, but he has worked to improve it. It was already better than MKG last season, so he will surpass him offensively I would say.

FKAri
10-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Lebron with a jumpshot

GrapeApe
10-04-2016, 12:46 AM
Is he really all that hyped? I'm excited about his potential, but he's obviously still very raw offensively. He'll be a perennial all-defense player, so at the very least he'll be valuable in that regard. He has a high floor. He's a good rebounder, a solid ball handler for his size, and he's shown a nice first step. I also like his acumen for the game. The Heat experimented with him at point forward at times last season.

His jumper needs a lot of work and he needs to improve his finishing ability. I think he can and will improve in those areas, but he's not a naturally gifted offensive player. I don't expect him to ever be a game-changer on that end, and his realistic ceiling is probably 18-20 ppg.

He also seems to be a high intangible guy, and he does a lot of little things that don't always show up in the box score. I know raw +/- can be misleading, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Winslow was frequently on the court when the Heat made big runs. His high activity level and disruptive defense was often the spark.

FreezingTsmoove
10-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Type of guy who will always be a starter in this league because of his defense so yes it is. Feminds me of Trevor Ariza