PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Player Breakdown - Gordon Hayward

BigKAT
10-05-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm going to do my own personal breakdown of a few Franchise players.
If these threads interest anyone, I might do more.

*At the end I'll give them my personal rating. From 1star (Empty stat padder) to 5 Star (Finals MVP Material)

*I'll do my best to stick to 'Lone Wolves' (Aka Paul George, Kemba Walker, Current James Harden, Gordon Hayward.) It doesn't mean their team is bad, only that they are considered the only 'all star caliber' in the eyes of many.

*This is mostly my opinions. I'll use some data and other articles but I'll mention them at the end.

*Feel free to disagree with me (lol, like you guys need permission for that)

Let's start.

Gordon Hayward

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wFpI9YTW--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/qx104ho05lldc3gwtwaz.jpg

How did he get to the team:
Picked 9th by the Utah Jazz. His draft featured quite a few interesting talents. Most notebly John Wall at 1st, Demarcus Cousins at 5th, and Paul George at 10th. Two players sharing Hayward's spots were picked before him, Wesley Johnson at 3rd by the Timberwolves, and Al Faruq Aminu 8th by the Clippers.

What the Team looked like before he arrived:
The end of the Deron Williams era. A potent Jazz squad that finished 5th in a very top heavy West, where the difference between 5th and 1st (Lakers) were a mere 4 wins. They reached the Semi-Finals of the West, where they were swept by the eventual Champion lakers. Perhaps a sign that Deron Williams was not going to remain with the team.

Improvement Graph Over the Years:

Rookie Season:
Utah's 2010-2011 Season was a great disappointment. After a superb 8-0 start to the season they started fumbling around January, declining from a 27-13 start to 31-23, going 4-10. Jerry Sloan, the longest tentured coach in the league at the time, resigned and Star Point guard Deron Williams was traded to Brooklyn. Hayward himself seemed somewhat promising while coming off the bench in a team that still had Al Jeffreson and Paul Millsap as the incumbent Stars of a rather medicore Jazz Squad. Hayward averaged 5.4 Points off the bench on a stellar 48% shooting. And 47% from 3pt range.

Sophmore Season and onwards:
Utah retained neither Millsap or Jeffreson, it also hired Quin Snyder to guide the rebuilding process. Hayward blossomed when given the reins to the team, elevating his scoring to about 12 points per game on rather good efficency. Also his uptick in assists and rebounds promised good all around game. Several years later in his 4th and 5th season Gordon Hayward averaged about 19 points and 4-5 rebounds and assists. His efficency went down somewhat, but he mostly hovered around 42-43% from the Field and 34-37% from 3pt range.

Contract:

16,000,000 Per year. Not overpaid, but not quite a 'Catch' until this year's insane spike.

Strengths:

https://media.giphy.com/media/n7lT12Qb4Rtm0/giphy.gif

*Fearless. Let's be honest. He's not the most athletic guy on the team. But he drives to the basket with fierceness. He averages about 5 FTA per game which is an integral part of his scoring, as he shoots quite well from the line. He also provided some highlight reels by challanging capable defenders at the rim.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/trevor-booker-shot-of-the-year-against-oklahoma-city.gif

*All around player. He can pass the rock, rebound the ball, operates well on fastbreak and is considered an intelligent player. Yes, that particular example was a fluke. But I couldn't resist adding it here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/eeo4mHIJSsEZW/giphy.gif

*We know that blocks don't always reflect defensive ability. But Gordon Hayward always shows effort. He also seems to see things in slow motion at times on the fast break, not fouling and still getting the clean swat.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/QvCHlCSlteycqkXgfDlnZ4cXaj8=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3356288/hayward.0.gif

*Smooth handle and Jump shot. He can create his own shot, and doesn't turn over the ball that often for a main option. If you need a Franchise guy, you need him to be able to create when all else fails. The Jazz ran an ISO, and he cashed on it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8qpFfgl32pGBG/giphy.gif
*Clutch. Gordon Hayward seems comfortble with the Win-Lose shot. He almost made NCAA history when his heave in the Championship game from half-court clanked against the Rim. Fearless.

Weaknesses:

*I bet you're dying to say it yourself already. Can you win with Gordon Hayward as your best guy..? They have yet to enter the Playoffs since the reins were handed to him despite the West being remarkbly easy last year. When it comes to W/L, other Franchise players got their teams to the playoffs earlier. Both in the East and the West.

*He seems to lack that 'Superstar' scoring gear that Franchise players need to have. His career highs were in the 30's. His current career high a pedestrian 37 points. Not that impressive for someone who spent the last few years as the preimere scoring threat on his team. For reference, an often frowned upon player in D'angelo Russel had a career high of 39 in his rookie season despite having less credit from his coach.

*He has '2nd' option written all over him. He is considered a nice, dorky and pleasant person. He is very serious about winning, as seen in his Butler days where he led his team to the Championship game under Coach brad stevens, but one has to wonder - Does he have what it take to demand responsibility not only from himself, but his teammates?

*Advanced stats actually show a slight decline in his stats over the last two seasons, which some has to wonder if he really hit his peak as a player. Hayward will turn 27 years old soon, and many wonder if he exhausted his progress in terms of potential. Perhaps this is who he is, a 20/5/5 Guy. Which is superb if you need someone to act 2nd fiddle on your championship team. But unless this guy is a 2-time DOPY, it's likely not going to get you far.

Conclusion:
In my honest opinion? Hayward is a great player. Underrated by most. Clearly the best player on a exciting Jazz team. But every young team experiences the same cycle, young and promising- knocking on the door- contending - Winning / Blowing up / Declining. The Utah Jazz is knocking on the door for two years now. And one has to wonder if Gordon Hayward is the guy that can break in.

Rating as a Franchise Player-
2/5 Stars.
Excellent player. But sans some injuries to opposing teams, you won't be much more then 1st round fodder if this is the best you've got.

Credits:
Grantland - Can the Hot Jazz keep their climb?
Wikipedia - Utah Jazz Page
Basketball Reference - Stats

Previous Entries:
Kemba Walker - http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418915

Lebron23
10-05-2016, 07:48 AM
He's now 26 yrs.old and at the prime of his NBA Career. I can see him leading the Jazz in the playoffs this season.

iamgine
10-05-2016, 08:56 AM
He's around Jimmy Butler level. Mid tier star.

BigKAT
10-05-2016, 09:03 AM
He's around Jimmy Butler level. Mid tier star.
A poor man's Jimmy Butler maybe.

He is a 2-time all star, scoring slightly more, defending better and shooting on better percentage.

Plus, he was a playoff's team best player. Something Gordon still has not been.

Not saying the gap is huge, probably they are in the same tier, but Butler is still a superior version of Hayward.

I<3NBA
10-05-2016, 09:11 AM
i would argue he's not the jazz's best player. gobert is.

D-Wait
10-05-2016, 10:41 AM
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/trevor-booker-shot-of-the-year-against-oklahoma-city.gif

:wtf:

pudman13
10-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Weakness: inconsistency. A franchise player gets something major done in every single game. Hayward has too many games where he scores 6 points.

AintNoSunshine
10-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Props for creating an original thread and putting a lot of effort into it apparently.

But Gordon Hayward is not a franchise player, not even close. He just happens to be the best player on a team without a franchise player..

bobopenguin
10-05-2016, 11:16 AM
rich man's chandler parson.

i would trade julius randle + pick for him.

Xiao Yao You
10-05-2016, 01:38 PM
i would argue he's not the jazz's best player. gobert is.

Gobert is unquestionably their most valuable. They sucked before he emerged and they sucked last year when he was hurt though if their supposedly genius coach had played Withey during that time they may have done a lot better. Not sure their improved depth can change that if he goes down again? Rudy is certainly the guy you should be building the team around.

Father Prime
10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Make your own website. Put some ads on it. Make some money while producing awesome content.

RoseCity07
10-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Watched the Blazers vs Jazz game the other night. We were roasting Hayward a bit. My friend said he's the worst "best" player on his team. I'm not even sure he's a franchise player. I think of him as a slightly better Chandler Parsons.

Xiao Yao You
10-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Hayward looked great in the opener. Hopefully he's still got another level to take his game to.

StephHamann
10-05-2016, 02:15 PM
He is not even the best player on his team, Gobert is.

bluechox2
10-05-2016, 02:27 PM
did u copy this from 7 years ago

BigKAT
10-05-2016, 02:47 PM
did u copy this from 7 years ago
Wrote it all myself. Did you enjoy it?

Smoke117
10-05-2016, 04:04 PM
He's not a franchise player.

BigKAT
10-05-2016, 04:23 PM
He's not a franchise player.

Not a good one anyway.

I gave him a rather low rating. 2/5.

4- Decent and 5 would be contenders caliber.

sammichoffate
10-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Jimmy Butler and him have nearly identical stats from last season. He's not an all-star because there's so many strong forwards out West(Durant, Leonard, now Green, a dozen great PG's)

RedBlackAttack
10-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Jimmy Butler and him have nearly identical stats from last season. He's not an all-star because there's so many strong forwards out West(Durant, Leonard, now Green, a dozen great PG's)
We have to take into account that Butler is a far superior defensive player, no? I can't imagine how good his on-ball defense would be with Gobert and Favors behind him.

I say that knowing that Hayward is really good. He's definitely comparable to Butler offensively ... more versatile probably.

sammichoffate
10-05-2016, 08:54 PM
We have to take into account that Butler is a far superior defensive player, no? I can't imagine how good his on-ball defense would be with Gobert and Favors behind him.

I say that knowing that Hayward is really good. He's definitely comparable to Butler offensively ... more versatile probably.He's a good defender, just not all-team defense like Butler or Leonard. He doesn't have personality issues like Butler, at the very least. I think he needs to be the leader of the team at this point if they're gonna make noise though.

Gotterdammerung
10-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Hayward is one of the most underrated guys in the league - but he has to take the Jazz to the playoffs to get rid of that label.
:kobe:
As the OP explained, Hayward has improved by leaps and bounds every year:
5.4 ppg as a rookie. Then 11.8 ppg, then 14.1, then 16.2, then 19.3 and 20 ppg last year.

He can hit from 3 point land, take the ball to the basket, and is a good passer, rebounder & defender. Sometimes Hayward does dribble into traffic too much, making poor decisions, but he's a solid guard/forward. :cheers:

Prime_Shaq
10-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Underrated, well-rounded player. Just not a first option type.

BigKAT
10-06-2016, 03:09 AM
Hayward is one of the most underrated guys in the league - but he has to take the Jazz to the playoffs to get rid of that label.
:kobe:
As the OP explained, Hayward has improved by leaps and bounds every year:
5.4 ppg as a rookie. Then 11.8 ppg, then 14.1, then 16.2, then 19.3 and 20 ppg last year.

He can hit from 3 point land, take the ball to the basket, and is a good passer, rebounder & defender. Sometimes Hayward does dribble into traffic too much, making poor decisions, but he's a solid guard/forward. :cheers:

He is fearless. You see him dunking on guys like Paul George, Lebron James and even big men without hesitating. That fearlessness sometimes lead to him jumping into traffic.

But I think that will change as he grows more mature and figures the game out more. I actually think he can do well in the playoff since his game isn't built on a march to the free throw line like Harden, Derozen and other perimeter stars.

Either way, I think his rebounding is going to decline (It already has) because there's only so much boards to have when you got guys like Exum and Gobert on your squad. But I do hope his passing will improve along with his field goal percentage.

Definetly underrated.
But still a 2nd fiddle on a contending team imo.

bizil
10-06-2016, 05:05 PM
If Hayward is a team's 3rd best player, then they are in DAMN GOOD SHAPE! Because often times, the 2nd best player on a team IS a superstar or close to one. For example, if he was on the Clippers he would add a lot to that squad. But u can't be a superstar if u AREN'T DOMINANT at anything! Gordon at this point isn't dominant at ANY FACET! Even guys like a peak Rondo could be a dominant passer, defender, and rebounder for his postion. But Gordon is good to very good at most things and he's All Star caliber. BUT NOWHERE CLOSE to superstar status.

WayOfWad3
10-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Just some corrections. Hayward's career high is 37 which he notched against the Thunder in 2014, and he has reached 36 on a couple other occasions. However he only has about 10 thirty point games in his career. That's all just nitpicky though.
I agree with you on most points of your argument though; I love hayward and love to watch him play, but until he actually carries the team (somewhat) deep in the playoffs, he'll just be a Kevin Love type of franchise star. Puts up good numbers, lead guy, white, but can't lead his team to the playoffs. This year will really determine his true value, no more excuses

BigKAT
10-07-2016, 04:10 AM
Just some corrections. Hayward's career high is 37 which he notched against the Thunder in 2014, and he has reached 36 on a couple other occasions. However he only has about 10 thirty point games in his career. That's all just nitpicky though.
I agree with you on most points of your argument though; I love hayward and love to watch him play, but until he actually carries the team (somewhat) deep in the playoffs, he'll just be a Kevin Love type of franchise star. Puts up good numbers, lead guy, white, but can't lead his team to the playoffs. This year will really determine his true value, no more excuses

Thanks mate!
I'll edit the corrections, appreciated.

Glad you liked it.

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 01:12 PM

That goes for the whole team. From the GM, coach, Favors, Exum, Hood, etc. They've all been getting a lot of hype for years now. The results have been very disappointing thus far though. :banghead:

tamaraw08
10-07-2016, 01:44 PM

For his team to actually advance to the playoffs, I strongly believe that they need a better coach than Quin Snyder plus a much better PG. I am not saying their coach is really bad, but given the competition, having to face the likes of Pops, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr etc plus no other great players to support him, I think it will be a reach to be in the playoffs.
If you put Hayward in the Celtics uniform, esp the weaker East, I say his team advances. Not sure how far tho.

BigKAT
10-07-2016, 01:48 PM
For his team to actually advance to the playoffs, I strongly believe that they need a better coach than Quin Snyder plus a much better PG. I am not saying their coach is really bad, but given the competition, having to face the likes of Pops, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr etc plus no other great players to support him, I think it will be a reach to be in the playoffs.
If you put Hayward in the Celtics uniform, esp the weaker East, I say his team advances. Not sure how far tho.

I would love seeing him on the Celtics.
Reunited with his Coach from Butler.

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 03:59 PM

the coach just got an extension so he's not going anywhere. He certainly has a lot to prove still.

Kool Boy
10-07-2016, 04:23 PM
breakdown Tyreke Evans next please

BigKAT
10-07-2016, 04:31 PM
breakdown Tyreke Evans next please

I think I'll either do Brook Lopez or Demarcus Cousins next. I wanna do a big man. Which one do you prefer?

Kool Boy
10-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I think I'll either do Brook Lopez or Demarcus Cousins next. I wanna do a big man. Which one do you prefer?
Brook Lopez

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Jody Genessy: Bad news. Gordon Hayward suffered a dislocated and broken finger on his left hand. He

BigKAT
10-07-2016, 06:49 PM
at least it's not Gobert! :bowdown:

Damn. That sucks.
But yeah, I think they should hold the fort. Especially if Favors is as good as advertised. Exum looks good and Gobert is back in the mix.

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Aaron Falk: League source says surgery option is on the table for Hayward, but hasn

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Guess Joe Johnson is starting after all

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2016, 07:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/breaking-down-the-most-important-defensive-player-for-each-nba-team/

Hayward's ability to really limit top-tier offensive wings makes him more central to their level of success than Gobert ... but Gobert's awesome as well.

:rolleyes:

SamuraiSWISH
10-07-2016, 08:09 PM
rich man's chandler parson.

i would trade julius randle + pick for him.
Racist.