PDA

View Full Version : T-Mac RARE CLIP, one of the most INSANE layups ever!

eliteballer
10-05-2016, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tg5nlw0M_o&t=6m6s

Look how far away from the basket he releases he ball!!:eek:

Pause when he releases the ball.

Crystallas
10-05-2016, 10:05 PM
I like how there is an obvious goaltend in this highlight video.

LostCause
10-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Nice video

McGrady was far and away my favorite player starting in his Orlando years until he fell off the map in New York.

So damn talented

RedBlackAttack
10-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Beautiful move.

TMac had one of the most aesthetically pleasing skillsets in the last 15 years. I know that isn't exactly a "bold" statement, but when you think about all the great players that have come and gone in that span, it's high praise.

Unfortunately, his incredible ceiling was only scratched for a few years and he even battled injury through those seasons. We just never saw the player that he could have been, even when he was playing his best ball. He had the athleticism, physical features, talent, and skill to be an all-timer.

It just never worked out that way. Still, there are few players that are as fun to study in retrospect.

SamuraiSWISH
10-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I still maintain McGrady at his peak / prime when healthy is better than Durant.

RedBlackAttack
10-05-2016, 10:27 PM
I still maintain McGrady at his peak / prime when healthy is better than Durant.
Who knows given their circumstances. McGrady never played with the kind of cast that Durant has had basically since the team moved to OKC. KD's entire peak has been spent playing alongside at least one All-Star/All-NBA guy and high-end role players.

McGrady spent a large portion of his peak playing with a couple of nice role players and that was it.

Who knows how things could have gone if they swapped places. But, Durant is also a 7-footer who has unlimited range and has become a pretty menacing defender with his length.

It might depend on the team.

Milbuck
10-05-2016, 10:42 PM
One of the most naturally talented players the league has ever seen. He's like a shorter but more athletic and fluid Paul George with Harden's handles, playmaking, footwork, etc. Talent and skill-wise he had literally everything you could ever ask for from a wing.

Pointguard
10-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I thought that layup was a bit sloppy for him but still a miraculous shot. I lost my mind when Rose did this and its basically the same shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoqps9ZsOfU

Tmac was really special.

They put him on Dirk one series and Dirk couldn't shake him at all. He really put the locks on him. Tmac still scored 30ppg in that series. So I definitely have his defense being better than Durants. Durant shoots better. Tmac can take it to the hoop better. Its a hard call.

Pointguard
10-05-2016, 10:56 PM
One of the most naturally talented players the league has ever seen. He's like a shorter but more athletic and fluid Paul George with Harden's handles, playmaking, footwork, etc. Talent and skill-wise he had literally everything you could ever ask for from a wing.
I'm pretty sure Tmac was taller than PG. I could be wrong but sight wise I think so.

HenryGarfunkle
10-05-2016, 11:02 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369588

SamuraiSWISH
10-05-2016, 11:06 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369588
Dude made all that up. He didn't even name the actual program director. Why would I lie about being a coach for an AAU team?

This same guy who made up the thread was apparently PMing countless long time ISH board members trying to acquire details about my personal life. Creepy.

I have no clue who he was either, or if he's another poster's alt. Most likely the former poster Mehyam24.

TommyGriffin
10-05-2016, 11:16 PM
Dude made all that up. He didn't even name the actual program director. Why would I lie about being a coach for an AAU team?

This same guy who made up the thread was apparently PMing countless long time ISH board members trying to acquire details about my personal life. Creepy.

I have no clue who he was either, or if he's another poster's alt. Most likely the former poster Mehyam24.
Thanks, Coach.

AintNoSunshine
10-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Better than Kobe

Too bad he can't stay healthy

SamuraiSWISH
10-05-2016, 11:54 PM
McGrady wasn't better than Kobe. Defense. Intangibles.

Round Mound
10-06-2016, 01:04 AM
His FG% is very low. He was a better rebounder than Kobe thats about it.

Smoke117
10-06-2016, 01:21 AM
He had EXACTLY ONE decent year efficiency wise...and it wasn't even that great...he was always a high volume scorer...needed a lot of shots to get his points because he ALWAYS wanted to settle for the jump shot. By far the most overrated perimeter player of the 2000s...especially considering he accomplished exactly...NOTHING.

I'd love someone to give me a legitimate two paragraph reason why Tracy Mcgrady is better than say...Ray Allen. Go ahead. I'll wait. Ray Allen who carried the 2005 Sonics to the a 6 game series with the championship Spurs.

Kblaze8855
10-06-2016, 03:50 AM
In Tmacs prime he was the age Buddy Heild is right now. His best season...he was 22 when it started I believe. He wasnt who we will remember as prime Tmac after what...24? He probably had 2 70 game seasons after that.

Ray was in his prime with the real Tmac and asking Ray Allen or Tmac at the time....wouldnt get many serious responses. As serious as Ray had to be taken...he wasnt considered Tmac. Im not sure why we need to try to amend the record with 12-15 years of fog on top of events.

Ray had a better career. He stayed healthy. By the time he was the age Tmac turned into Tracy he had only been to the playoffs twice and lost to the Pacers both years. Houston Mcgrady was still nice and showed plenty of flashes....but they never got the guy from 01-03.

The guy people mean...when they say Tmac? Ray was in his prime with him....while he was younger than guys like Kyrie and Anthony Davis are now. And Ray was not considered better. Him having a better career cant really change that.

A lot of people have better careers than injury plagued superstars. Doesnt make them better at basketball. Penny didnt have the best career. But I dont think we are really using post 98 Penny against him when the issue is better player are we?

Anyone really need Knicks or Suns Penny evaluated when the issue is him vs Reggie Miller?

Tmac fell off at the age Bird was in his second season.

What he accomplished for his career is hardly fair to judge his ability by.

We bringing up David Thompsons years on coke and alcohol when the issue is how good he was? Or are we talking about when he was the real Skywalker?

Gatorade Sax
10-06-2016, 05:12 AM
The name of the video paints a pretty grim picture of poor old T-Mac..wouldn't say he's been forgotten just yet.

Euroleague
10-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Damn, that was beyond even Jordan like.

Euroleague
10-06-2016, 07:09 PM

WTF? No way was T-Mac shorter than Paul George.

SamuraiSWISH
10-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Who the hell argues Ray Allen was better than peak / prime McGrady?

Jasper
10-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Durant is not even close to this baller.

OP - Vid commentator is doing speculation..... you could do that with 98% of the leagues players. :rolleyes:

Smoke117
10-06-2016, 10:44 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Upset-Michael-Jordan-Laughs-to-Himself.gif

tpols
10-07-2016, 09:34 AM
He had EXACTLY ONE decent year efficiency wise...and it wasn't even that great...he was always a high volume scorer...needed a lot of shots to get his points because he ALWAYS wanted to settle for the jump shot. By far the most overrated perimeter player of the 2000s...especially considering he accomplished exactly...NOTHING.

I'd love someone to give me a legitimate two paragraph reason why Tracy Mcgrady is better than say...Ray Allen. Go ahead. I'll wait. Ray Allen who carried the 2005 Sonics to the a 6 game series with the championship Spurs.

dat hipster hot take. :pimp:

HenryGarfunkle
10-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Anyone who thinks T-Mac was better than Durant knows nothing about basketball. Nothing.

It's funny watching guys talk about winning intangibles in other threads while propping up T-Mac over Durant in this one. Be consistent coach, before I bump that thread again you lying psychopath.

Durant's better without the intangibles, but when you factor in his winning mindset it's not even a close discussion. And no, Durant going to Golden State has nothing to do with his winning mindset on and off the court. He's just taking those intangibles with him to a new city like LeBron did.

Euroleague
10-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Anyone who thinks T-Mac was better than Durant knows nothing about basketball. Nothing.

It's funny watching guys talk about winning intangibles in other threads while propping up T-Mac over Durant in this one. Be consistent coach, before I bump that thread again you lying psychopath.

Durant's better without the intangibles, but when you factor in his winning mindset it's not even a close discussion. And no, Durant going to Golden State has nothing to do with his winning mindset on and off the court. He's just taking those intangibles with him to a new city like LeBron did.

Peak T-Mac was definitely better than Durant. But peak T-Mac was very shot-lived.

SamuraiSWISH
10-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Durant has shown to have everything but winning intangibles hah ... see his jersey this year.

3ball
10-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Damn, that was beyond even Jordan like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULz_YIAty0Q

that's the exact same shot... except Jordan makes it look way easier, because he did that shot all the time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBc395dSg4&t=6m11s) as a regular part of his repertoire.

so it was a STANDARD shot for him, not a big deal like it was for tmac (tmac celebrated like he made a half-court shot.. :rolleyes: )... Tmac's shot-making ability is a few dimensions below Jordan's - perhaps you need a refresher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBc395dSg4

Smoke117
10-08-2016, 02:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULz_YIAty0Q

that's the exact same shot... except Jordan makes it look way easier, because he did that shot all the time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBc395dSg4&t=6m11s) as a regular part of his repertoire - so it was a STANDARD shot for him, not a big deal like it was for tmac (tmac celebrated like he made a half-court shot.. :rolleyes: ).

1-9