PDA

View Full Version : Backpage.com raided, CEO arrested for sex-trafficking

Draz
10-07-2016, 07:27 AM
[CENTER][quote]DALLAS (AP)

christian1923
10-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Took the Feds this long to find enough evidence?

CelticBaller
10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
its a public site, this is like arresting the owner of a residential because there's some tenants selling drugs smh

FillJackson
10-07-2016, 10:20 AM
its a public site, this is like arresting the owner of a residential because there's some tenants selling drugs smh
I thought that at first, but reading through this, it's seems they are going to argue that this is more like knowingly renting out a house to be a crack house.

That they were aware of what was going on and profiting from it.

and it relation to Christian's question, they arrested him at the airport as he returned to America. So they probably couldn't arrest him before.

it will be interesting trial, questions of responsibility and 1st ammendment issues.

UK2K
10-07-2016, 10:23 AM
I thought that at first, but reading through this, it's seems they are going to argue that this is more like knowingly renting out a house to be a crack house.

That they were aware of what was going on and profiting from it.

and it relation to Christian's question, they arrested him at the airport as he returned to America. So they probably couldn't arrest him before.

it will be interesting trial, questions of responsibility and 1st ammendment issues.

That is a very, very, fine line.

FillJackson
10-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Since the same advertisers advertise over and over, perhaps they can prove they were aware they were dealing with pimps. DAs might have been in contact with them previously.

FillJackson
10-07-2016, 10:52 AM
There was a case in New York where they went after a nightclub owner because drugs were being sold on his premises, in fact the witnesses said the club owner was aware of this fact. The club's director testified against him.
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/12/nyregion/limelight-owner-is-acquitted-after-long-fight-in-drug-case.html

He was acquitted despite evidence like this
Other jurors included a collector of money from vending machines, a clerk and a retired pharmaceutical supervisor, and all heard vivid accounts of hallucinogen-spiked punch being doled out from vats and of nights on which an area of Limelight was set up to resemble a medical emergency room, with drug dealers dressed as doctors writing out ''prescriptions'' for patrons who said they did not feel well. The prescribed cures, according to the witnesses, were illegal drugs like cocaine or Ecstasy, an amphetamine derivative that produces euphoric highs and mild hallucinations.

He had a very good lawyer.

dunksby
10-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Unless he got complaints/reports that there were underaged prostitutes being forced to sell themselves on his website, I don't see this case having much ground to stand on. Still, I believe owners of such services should employ strict measures to fight such ads.

FillJackson
10-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Unless he got complaints/reports that there were underaged prostitutes being forced to sell themselves on his website, I don't see this case having much ground to stand on. Still, I believe owners of such services should employ strict measures to fight such ads.

They certainly were aware of this (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-backpage-ceo-arrested-charged-20161006-snap-story.html)

[QUOTE]he website has long been a target in the crusade against human trafficking. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has repeatedly faulted the site for encouraging an online environment for child sex trafficking and failing to implement preventative steps to stamp out abuse.

The site has been the focus of a recent Senate committee investigation into allegations of online sex trafficking.

Backpage fought a Senate subpoena and eventually asked the U.S. Supreme Court to block a judge

dunksby
10-07-2016, 11:15 AM
They certainly were aware of this (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-backpage-ceo-arrested-charged-20161006-snap-story.html)

Interesting that the investigation seems to hinging on trafficking and underage crimes. Are they saying independent, non-coerced ads by adults are legal?
If the hosts can prove that they had taken good enough measures to fight such ads, I think they have a good chance to fight this off. Considering the accusations, I believe they are going by "human trafficking" and "underage manipulation" to gather sympathy and use stir public outcry since just going by sex ads would mean they'd have to go after a lot of other people and not just single out Backpage.
PS: for what it's worth, I didn't even know this shit even existed lol

FillJackson
10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
PS: for what it's worth, I didn't even know this shit even existed lol

So you claim.

just kidding.

The site is called backpage, because ads like this used to exist in the backpages of alternative newspapers. Then as craigslist destroyed the classified ad business of paper newspapers, sites like this sprung up.

Craigslist used to do this as well, they had an adult services section that they shut down after complaints like this. (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2010/09/pimp_mobile.html)

dunksby
10-07-2016, 12:02 PM
So you claim.

just kidding.

The site is called backpage, because ads like this used to exist in the backpages of alternative newspapers. Then as craigslist destroyed the classified ad business of paper newspapers, sites like this sprung up.

Craigslist used to do this as well, they had an adult services section that they shut down after complaints like this. (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2010/09/pimp_mobile.html)
Regardless of where one stands on the issue of prostitution, anything is better than having whores lining up beside the streets.

bdreason
10-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Interesting that the investigation seems to hinging on trafficking and underage crimes. Are they saying independent, non-coerced ads by adults are legal?

They can't go after the website for adult prostitution because I don't think any of the people who advertise on the site explicitly claim they're selling sex. Sounds like they're going to try and prove that the site owners were in contact with people who they knew were pimping underage females on the site. That's gonna be tough to prove in a court of law, especially if these guys have good lawyers.

bdreason
10-07-2016, 01:00 PM
And although I find prostitution gross, I don't understand why it isn't legalized and regulated. If a woman (or man) wants to sell sex for money, they're going to. The least we can do is provide a safe working environment for these people and their customers, and if the industry is taken out of the dark, maybe we can develop programs to show these people that they have other options besides prostitution.