PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Phil could coach a championship team around a Westbrook/Cousins Duo?

Purch
10-14-2016, 10:01 AM
I was just having a moment of thought around the triangle offense in todays game. One of the issues I tend to see with it, is that it just doesn't play to a lot of players strengths. So I decided to brainstorm two stars who's games really fit into the triangle.

The two I came up with are Russell Westbrook and Demarcus Cousins.

In this scenario I'd have Westbrook at the position people have been arguing about for years, Shooting guard. Westbrook's ability to pull up from mid range, post up, and attack the rim aggressively perfectly fit the kind of opportunities the triangle affords it's perimeter scorers (Melo, Kobe and Jordan). The triangle would allow Westbrook to dominate 1-1 with his speed against other two guards in the league.

In regards to Demarcus, I definitely think there's no other big in the league who would be as effective as Cousins in a Shaq like role in the triangle. He can bang down low, finish against contact, draw fouls, draw consistent double teams, and rebound the ball. I think he would absolutely benefit from being able to have the space down low to work in the post, rather than having to float out to the perimeter.

So my question becomes a three parter.

1. In a scenario where Phil Jackson had Westbrook as his 2-guard, and Cousins as his center (Surrounded by solid role players, and a good bench), do you think he could lead the team to a championship utilizing the triangle?

2. Do you think the triangle plays to the strengths of Westbrook/Cousins game? And do you think they could maximize their opportunities under it?

3. In the case that you answered yes to both the previous two questions, who would you surround them in the starting lineup?

PG:?
SG: Westbrook
SF:?
PF:?
C: Demarcus

Jasper
10-14-2016, 10:05 AM
He did it with Shaq and a ball hog Kobe ...
So it would work with Westbrook.

His wing players would have to be 40+% 3 point shooters for spot up open looks.

ralph_i_el
10-14-2016, 02:12 PM
PG: Mario Chalmers
SG: Westbrook
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Paul Milsap
C: Demarcus

This lineup wins a championship in the triangle

Bankaii
10-14-2016, 02:31 PM
This lineup wins a championship in the triangle
Outside of maybe Malone, Millsap is better than anyone superstar Shaq/Kobe played with, so that wouls balnxe the talent out. I still dobt know if thet coukd beat GSW or Cavs, even with Boogie dominating.

On topic, I dont trust Westbrook in a system that requires ball movement. And as soon as Boogie goes a few trips without touching the ball, he'll shut down. 2 low IQ players will never work. Kobe was a ball hog, but outside of his dumb shot selection, he was still a high iq player.

LostCause
10-14-2016, 03:30 PM
I think Pop would get more success out of these guys but Phil should be able to make it work also assuming he gets them to buy in

BigKAT
10-14-2016, 04:11 PM
I must say I'm somewhat worried about Cousins size and defensive abilities. He is listed 6'11 but he always feel somewhat shorter when standing next to guys like Durant or Giannis.

He has yet to prove he can really dominate the game in terms of W's.
He's got the stats but I don't know if the guy can actually win games.

The obvious comparison that comes to mind is Kobe/Shaq, but keep in mind that Shaq was a winner before Phill, Kobe and Lakerland. He wasn't a Champion, but he was a winner. He was a serious force in the league without an all-time coach, though he did have one heck of a teammate.

I think Cousins is the Anti-Gasol.
What I mean by that is if you compare the two,
Marc Gasol Vs Demarcus Cousins
One's stats look far, far more impressive. Cousins putting up 27 and 12 and Marc Gasol's PEAK being 17/8. Yet when you watch Gasol play you notice alot of things, how he position himself, how he sets the picks at the right time or a lot of good hocky-assists (Passing to the assisting player)

Marc Gasol is a Winner. He execute winning plays. Cousins? Not so much.
To me, thus far, he is the definition of empty stats. His peak season was less then 40 wins, and even if we do cut him slack for the shitfest that Sactown is, he is not in the same category as Shaq.

Prime Howard/Westbrook? Yes. I think they do win a championship.
Because Howard, say what you will about him, before his decline, brought you W's.

LostCause
10-14-2016, 04:38 PM
To be fair to Cousins, his teams and coaches have all been shit

He has all the tools you'd want out of a dominant big offensively and defensively. In a good system with a solid defensive coach and team, I can see him excelling. Not as good defensively as Howard of course, but good.

Not too sure he's a 1st option for a championship team though, if that's what you were referring to KAT. His inefficiency tells me no

Purch
10-15-2016, 04:21 AM
With all the deep catches generated by the triangle, I'm sure Cousins' efficecy would skyrocket, and he'd probally cut down on his jumpers

Smoke117
10-15-2016, 04:43 AM
To be fair to Cousins, his teams and coaches have all been shit

He has all the tools you'd want out of a dominant big offensively and defensively. In a good system with a solid defensive coach and team, I can see him excelling. Not as good defensively as Howard of course, but good.

Not too sure he's a 1st option for a championship team though, if that's what you were referring to KAT. His inefficiency tells me no

Cousins problem offensively is that he's always fallen in love with the the jumper...that and he's not a great finisher at the rim for a big man...only has a career .625% within 0-2 feet...which is pretty bad compared to the likes of Howard, Jordan, and now Whiteside. You could say they are all much more physical specimens...but even Marc Gasol has a career .689% in the 0-2 feet range and all four are more athletic and explosive than him. It's not just numbers too...I've seen it. He goes up soft a lot when he should be going up strong.

scm5
10-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Whiteside and Westbrook tho...

FKAri
10-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Westbrook is too dumb to win anything with anybody. lol @ him operating in the triangle :lol

Jasper
10-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Westbrook is too dumb to win anything with anybody. lol @ him operating in the triangle :lol
Give and go .... Give and pop :confusedshrug:

what is the triangle :confusedshrug:

Cousins problem offensively is that he's always fallen in love with the the jumper...that and he's not a great finisher at the rim for a big man...only has a career .625% within 0-2 feet...which is pretty bad compared to the likes of Howard, Jordan, and now Whiteside. You could say they are all much more physical specimens...but even Marc Gasol has a career .689% in the 0-2 feet range and all four are more athletic and explosive than him. It's not just numbers too...I've seen it. He goes up soft a lot when he should be going up strong.
Gasol had and outside jumper , and won a title under Phil.
Cousin's is a better shooter on top of it.

Ironically the jumper that Melo has on the wing would work with these guys as well

Purch
10-15-2016, 02:26 PM

I always find this intresting...because if you look through the google archives people were pretty critical of Mj's game until he finally put it all together under phil

FKAri
10-17-2016, 07:27 PM
I always find this intresting...because if you look through the google archives people were pretty critical of Mj's game until he finally put it all together under phil
MJ's criticism at the time was that he was a ball hog not being dumb.

SamuraiSWISH
10-17-2016, 10:44 PM
No. Too dumb. Too emotional.

Purch
11-01-2016, 06:09 AM
No. Too dumb. Too emotional.
Emotion can be good if you can channel it properly as a coach

Overdrive
11-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Is Tex on board?(I honestly had to check if he's still alive)

Cousins settling for jumpers wouldn't be as big a problem as to pass up on not so good looks and reset the offense. Shaq and Gasol were great and willing passers from the post.

Purch
11-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Is Tex on board?(I honestly had to check if he's still alive)

Cousins settling for jumpers wouldn't be as big a problem as to pass up on not so good looks and reset the offense. Shaq and Gasol were great and willing passers from the post.

I don't belive if Cousins was in an offense centered around post offense.. That he would even want to shoot threes.

But to your point his playmaking is a question mark indeed