PDA

View Full Version : Why do we praise clutch over consistency?

NZStreetBaller
10-16-2016, 07:40 PM
A guy can literally suck all game but hit the game winner and we worship him like a god. Yet some one else can be great all season or all game or all playoffs but miss one lousy shot and we laugh at them :wtf:

LostCause
10-16-2016, 07:48 PM
A guy can literally suck all game but hit the game winner and we worship him like a god. Yet some one else can be great all season or all game or all playoffs but miss one lousy shot and we laugh at them :wtf:

I don't agree that this is true

Lebron was disparaged early in his career for faltering in the clutch, but thats only because his play was at a level where people compared him to similary consistent AND clutch players like Kobe/MJ/Bird etc

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play bad all season and hit a big shot and get worshipped

NZStreetBaller
10-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Ray allen was treated like a god lol.

NBAGOAT
10-16-2016, 08:09 PM
someone brought up a similar thread but it had more to do with how guys get credit for elevating their play in the playoffs when it's really just not going all out during the Rs. Inconsistent play especially when it's from someone who's a great player can always be written off as he's not engaged because it's a rs game.

Prometheus
10-16-2016, 08:11 PM
For the same reason that you're taught to put the shit you want them to remember at the end of your letter.

Red Flame
10-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Being consistent doesnt guarantee a dub but being clutch most likely does

AirBonner
10-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Clutch rebounds don't

iamgine
10-16-2016, 11:32 PM
I think in that scenario one wins and the other came up short so...we tend to favor winners?

Bawkish
10-17-2016, 12:52 AM
"It's not how hard you push along the way, it's having something in you to finish"

guess who said this quote

FKAri
10-17-2016, 01:38 AM
I think in that scenario one wins and the other came up short so...we tend to favor winners?
That's an illusion because its a team game. You can suck all game long and get carried until that one play in the end where you actually did something. What you're saying only has meaning in individual sports.

As for OP, I somewhat agree but there's more subtlety to clutch/choking than what you'll hear from stans on ISH. The assumption with both should be that the player played otherwise average the rest of the game and either dipped or raised his game at the end. Though like you say, that not always the case.

"It's not how hard you push along the way, it's having something in you to finish"

guess who said this quote

Ted Bundy?

Nilocon165
10-17-2016, 01:49 AM
That's an illusion because its a team game. You can suck all game long and get carried until that one play in the end where you actually did something. What you're saying only has meaning in individual sports.

As for OP, I somewhat agree but there's more subtlety to clutch/choking than what you'll hear from stans on ISH. The assumption with both should be that the player played otherwise average the rest of the game and either dipped or raised his game at the end. Though like you say, that not always the case.

Ted Bundy?
http://66.media.tumblr.com/33405d90dee9a498f7f3625ac7151e7c/tumblr_npuhoiRPqy1tezwydo2_r1_1280.gif

jstern
10-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Op worded it wrong. It should be why is it that some guys come through in the clutch 25% of the time and then get treated like gods. For example Lebron has better clutch numbers than Kobe, but Kobe is treated as one of the clutches player of all time.

keep-itreal
10-17-2016, 05:46 AM
Kyle Lowry

Big164
10-17-2016, 05:52 AM
I don't agree that this is true

Lebron was disparaged early in his career for faltering in the clutch, but thats only because his play was at a level where people compared him to similary consistent AND clutch players like Kobe/MJ/Bird etc

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play bad all season and hit a big shot and get worshipped
7 rings made a career out of it

swagga
10-17-2016, 01:42 PM
not a single mention of kobe in this thread? :facepalm

AirBonner
10-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Because he wasn't really that clutch :coleman:

scm5
10-17-2016, 01:52 PM

He was clutch in the sense that he hit at or above league average and took nearly all the game winners for the Lakers. He would have 2-3 players draped on him at times and still get a decent look/shot off. It's something most players can't do given the amount of time and the defensive attention he got.

AirBonner
10-17-2016, 02:02 PM
He was clutch in the sense that he hit at or above league average and took nearly all the game winners for the Lakers. He would have 2-3 players draped on him at times and still get a decent look/shot off. It's something most players can't do given the amount of time and the defensive attention he got.
You only remember the ones he made (which were not a lot) I cant consider 20something % average shooting in the final 24 seconds of playoff basketball games to be clutch.

swagga
10-17-2016, 02:04 PM

y'all nigggas got no sense of humor tbh.
kobe was consistent and clutch with his kobe assists.:lol

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Rent Free.

What do you do in your Free time other than thinking of KObe

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-17-2016, 02:18 PM
:cry: :cry: Meltdown

AirBonner
10-17-2016, 02:20 PM
:cry: :cry: Meltdown
How is this a meltdown? Truth hurts.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-17-2016, 02:21 PM
How is this a meltdown? Truth hurts.

I'm not even a Kobe fan. But The man lives rent free

j3lademaster
10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
For the same reason that you're taught to put the shit you want them to remember at the end of your letter.Underrated post, should be /thread here.

Whether it's a Dean from a university, a hiring manager from Goldman Sachs; it's human nature to remember the last thing you see or read.

swagga
10-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Rent Free.

What do you do in your Free time other than thinking of KObe

why I don't know, I often think of kobe tbh.

HenryGarfunkle
10-17-2016, 08:36 PM
LeBron has both..

More memorable game-winners in the playoffs than anybody and the most consistent player ever

MrFonzworth
10-17-2016, 11:57 PM
LeBron has both..

More memorable game-winners in the playoffs than anybody and the most consistent player ever
http://i42.tinypic.com/2icbfnm.jpg