PDA

View Full Version : Curry was never better than LeBron, and we all knew it

CTbasketball92
10-20-2016, 11:34 AM
lol seriously. Imagine LeBron losing the chip while missing Kevin Love. No one would let him use that as a solid reason for losing, but Curry loses Draymond Green for one game, and he loses andrew bogut for two games and curry's out here doing 360 dunks in warmups, and yet people still wanted to give Curry excuses. We never expected actually expected too much from Curry. If you switch LeBron and Curry, there's no way the cavs had any shot at winning. LeBron with GSW could lose Draymond, Bogut and Harrison barnes and they'd still have won.

So no matter what happens, just remember games 5-7 of this past year's finals when thinking about who the better player is.

10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Agreed. Kobe fan here so no horse in this race but Lebron just has that extra gear that Curry doesn't. When LeBron puts in the highest gear he's simply at the level that very few can match historically. Curry is a great player but it isn't really close between him and LeBron.

ClipperRevival
10-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I was convinced he had surpassed LeBron last season before the playoffs. And most of the world did too.

The problem with Curry is that he is the shortest person ever to be considered the best in the world. And you add in his average athleticism and he had no way to physically impose his will on the game like other greats can. Most greats have some sort of physical/athletic advantage that they can use to "turn on the switch." Curry had no such luxury, especially in the playoffs when it's more physical. So it's a credit to him to have reached such heights. And I think that's why the world didn't go all out bashing on him like they would've done to a more physically blessed player.

ArbitraryWater
10-20-2016, 12:03 PM
I was convinced he had surpassed LeBron last season before the playoffs. And most of the world did too.

The problem with Curry is that he is the shortest person ever to be considered the best in the world. And you add in his average athleticism and he had no way to physically impose his will on the game like other greats can. Most greats have some sort of physical/athletic advantage that they can use to "turn on the switch." Curry had no such luxury, especially in the playoffs when it's more physical. So it's a credit to him to have reached such heights. And I think that's why the world didn't go all out bashing on him like they would've done to a more physically blessed player.

Blah

feyki
10-20-2016, 12:05 PM
8 points , 6 rebounds Kevin Love ?

plowking
10-20-2016, 12:14 PM
I like how people want to pretend it is farfetched to call him better right now.

Curry may well be better right now. Bron played better in the finals. We get it. He played at an all time great level. Yes. Because he is one of the best players ever, and clearly is capable of it.

SouBeachTalents
10-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Curry was pretty clearly the best player in the league during the regular season, obviously that narrative changed after his horrendous Finals performance and LeBron's GOAT level performance

tpols
10-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Lebron is better than Curry in a vacuum.. the playoffs have proven that. Curry needs goons, Lebron is a goon.. that's the main difference.

A lot of OP's evidence is very poor though.. comparing Love and Dray's impacts in that series, saying Bron could win with just klay by his side apparently, whole lot of dumb stuff.

it would have been a good post if just the last sentence was present

CTbasketball92
10-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Lebron is better than Curry in a vacuum.. the playoffs have proven that. Curry needs goons, Lebron is a goon.. that's the main difference.

A lot of OP's evidence is very poor though.. comparing Love and Dray's impacts in that series, saying Bron could win with just klay by his side apparently, whole lot of dumb stuff.

LeBron could def. have won with just Klay and a bunch of the Warriors' great role players. He damn near beat the Warriors with all of their best players completely healthy with JR smith and delly as his 2nd and third best players LOL. The Draymond mention was a superficial thing to bring up though, I'll admit that. It's just saying he's GSW's third best player, Love is Cavs' third best player. There's no situation where LeBron losing his third best player for one game would be deemed a good excuse for losing. It's because we've seen him beat great teams by himself and carry horrible teams to greatness by himself. As for Draymond's impact ... Draymond had like 3 straight single digit games, and Kyrie and LeBron both went off on the whole GSW defense, so what, exactly, was he doing that was of any worth? Lmao

PistonsFan#21
10-20-2016, 12:50 PM
I like how people want to pretend it is farfetched to call him better right now.

Curry may well be better right now. Bron played better in the finals. We get it. He played at an all time great level. Yes. Because he is one of the best players ever, and clearly is capable of it.

What is your argument for Curry being better? They are about equal on offense but the gap defensively is huge. Lebron beats him by a solid margin on man to man, help defense, rebounding, block, etc.

I<3NBA
10-20-2016, 12:52 PM

thinking about it though, Lebron with Klay would be devastating. he'd have Livingston as PG and Iggy as SF.

Livingston
Klay
Iggy
Lebron
Ezeli/Speights

with Draymond, and Bogut injured

vs a healthy Cavs team of:

Curry/Kyrie/Delly
JR Smith
Shumpert
TT
Love/Mosgov

Haymaker
10-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Curry's hype came because he improved drastically from one season to another, and his team peaked with him, making him look even better than he was. Both Klay and Green elevated their games and their bench came around too. He's still the best shooter in the whole planet though.

Bankaii
10-20-2016, 12:54 PM

Klay and a much better supporting cast/bench.
Curry had no reason to not lead his team to victory, regardless of the circumstances.

And not to long ago Love was being called a superstar and Dray a system player. Why is now all of sudden Love's basically being equated to a role player and Dray is now some superstar?

DaHeezy
10-20-2016, 01:00 PM
One thing I could say is he transcended his position despite his shortcomings and achieved something never seen before by any other player. He's by far the greatest long distance shooter in the history of the game. He's currently the most replicated player in the league right now. His regular season stands up there with any player all time on paper. Is he better than LeBron? Eye test says no. But as we all know team sports is all about the perfect storm. One game separated Curry as a lock top 10 and LeBron boarderline top 10 to what it is right now.

I don't believe in ranking individual greatness as I firmly believe sports is subjective. If I had to pick I'd say yes LeBron is better than Curry. One game changed that perspective.

CTbasketball92
10-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Klay and a much better supporting cast/bench.
Curry had no reason to not lead his team to victory, regardless of the circumstances.

And not to long ago Love was being called a superstar and Dray a system player. Why is now all of sudden Love's basically being equated to a role player and Dray is now some superstar?

Lol seriously. People are getting so out of control. Love was only a role player in the NBA finals.

Orlando Magic
10-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Curry was never better nor will he ever be... switch them... look at the rosters and say that shit with a straight face, lmao...

2015 Finals

LeBron
Klay
Iggy
Green
Bogut

vs

Curry
JR
Shumpert
Thompson
Mozgov

LMAO 4 game sweep. ****outta here, ******s.

plowking
10-20-2016, 01:12 PM
What is your argument for Curry being better? They are about equal on offense but the gap defensively is huge. Lebron beats him by a solid margin on man to man, help defense, rebounding, block, etc.

Curry produces more on the court and was the more consistent player throughout the regular season.

I didn't say either is better than the other, but to act as if there is some gap either way is stupid. Bron has clearly declined a little bit, but obviously can still have moments of greatness like the finals. Curry didn't step it up then... It happens. Plus, I think he was playing more injured than he let on.

Upsets happen. Bron winning over Curry in the finals happened. Dirk beating Bron and the gang in 2011 didn't make him a better player. So I don't think this clearly swings the pendulum one way either.

tpols
10-20-2016, 01:28 PM
LeBron could def. have won with just Klay and a bunch of the Warriors' great role players.

klay was choking just as bad as curry was dude .. all of the back up bigs were awful and getting picked apart, livingston fell off after a hot start, your argument is still very exxagerative and unrealistic, which takes away from your point. And it's an easy point to make.

Youre running up in here acting like you just had some brilliant revelation .. when this has been one of the more talked about things here for months since the Finals.. i expect the captain obvious poster to make an appearance

CTbasketball92
10-20-2016, 01:39 PM
klay was choking just as bad as curry was dude .. all of the back up bigs were awful and getting picked apart, livingston fell off after a hot start, your argument is still very exxagerative and unrealistic, which takes away from your point. And it's an easy point to make.

Youre running up in here acting like you just had some brilliant revelation .. when this has been one of the more talked about things here for months since the Finals.. i expect the captain obvious poster to make an appearance

No I'm not, it's another dimension. The whole summer people were kind of using the fact that LeBron won the chip to say that he was better than Curry, as if this chip was ever going to decide who was better, like it was a box to be checked in or something. What I'm saying is that we've actually had much lower standards for Curry the whole time, even when he was in the regular season. No one would ever use one of LeBron's missing role players as an excuse if he lost. They just wouldnt, because he can do everything and score at a superstar level. We make excuses for him because he's human ... meanwhile, LeBron pretty much isn't. I don't even think Curry is as good as 2006-2011 DWade fwiw.

Considering what LeBron did in 2015, i just don't see how what I said was an exaggeration. Livingston got stretched beyond his capabilities. He had a huge couple of games because curry couldnt get it done, meanwhile, LeBron wouldn't have needed all of his roleplayers to bail him out in the first two games. He'd get his 30+ points and get the ball to Klay, and Iggy and Livingston and there other role players would ball tf out because they wouldn't be over-extended. Curry, Kyrie, Love, TT and JR and Iman vs LeBron, Klay, Iggy, Livingston, Brazillian blur, bogut, etc? Yeah, give me the LeBron/Klay team all day. No one would bet against them, honestly.

Prometheus
10-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Curry had, on paper, as good a season as anyone ever.

On the court though, he's literally not even in the same class as LeBron. Offensively even, he gets great numbers, but they result from him being in a perfect situation. LeBron's offensive numbers are comparable to Curry's, but LeBron runs his team's entire attack whereas Curry is just his team's best weapon.

The defense is what makes the comparison so ridiculous though. LeBron is an ATG defensive monster - Curry is literally his team's biggest defensive liability.

Really, it is not close.

tpols
10-20-2016, 02:01 PM
The whole summer people were kind of using the fact that LeBron won the chip to say that he was better than Curry

no they havent.. it has been repeated ad naseum how bron led in every category and outplayed every one and went GOAT mode etc. People havent been like "well lebrons team won, guess hes better", the fact that he PLAYED better has been harped on in hundreds of topics.

What I'm saying is that we've actually had much lower standards for Curry the whole time.

and this.. this has been repeated over and over again as well. Any poster on this site can tell you this as its been common knowledge since the Finals ended and another repeated topic of discussion. this was talked about across major sports shows right after the Finals.

CTbasketball92
10-20-2016, 02:32 PM
no they havent.. it has been repeated ad naseum how bron led in every category and outplayed every one and went GOAT mode etc. People havent been like "well lebrons team won, guess hes better", the fact that he PLAYED better has been harped on in hundreds of topics.

and this.. this has been repeated over and over again as well. Any poster on this site can tell you this as its been common knowledge since the Finals ended and another repeated topic of discussion. this was talked about across major sports shows right after the Finals.

What I meant was that LeBron has been better this whole time, and we shoulkdnt have even really needed the finals to see that. He clearly played better, but he's also been capable of more, and still is.

I haven't seen too many threads about it tbh or heard too many journalists talk about it to be honest.People rarely harp on how much Curry and all the other Warriors need each other, because Curry and Draymond are pretty damn overrated.

KirbyPls
10-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Curry had, on paper, as good a season as anyone ever.

On the court though, he's literally not even in the same class as LeBron. Offensively even, he gets great numbers, but they result from him being in a perfect situation. LeBron's offensive numbers are comparable to Curry's, but LeBron runs his team's entire attack whereas Curry is just his team's best weapon.

The defense is what makes the comparison so ridiculous though. LeBron is an ATG defensive monster - Curry is literally his team's biggest defensive liability.

Really, it is not close.

:applause:

Unfiltered Ether Bomb, neat.

IGOTGAME
10-20-2016, 02:42 PM

I don't think Curry stans understand how little the regular season actually matters. Lebron dominated him in all facets, he didn't just play better...he talk an inferior team and dominated him. Then he emasculated him with those blocks, guy was scared and shaking.

Lebron scared the 2nd and 3rd best players in the league so much they did the unthinkable and teamed up against him. That is how much they are scared of this man.

warriorfan
10-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Curry was better for the entire 2016 season until his MCL injury

guy
10-21-2016, 09:54 AM
LeBron could def. have won with just Klay and a bunch of the Warriors' great role players. He damn near beat the Warriors with all of their best players completely healthy with JR smith and delly as his 2nd and third best players LOL. The Draymond mention was a superficial thing to bring up though, I'll admit that. It's just saying he's GSW's third best player, Love is Cavs' third best player. There's no situation where LeBron losing his third best player for one game would be deemed a good excuse for losing. It's because we've seen him beat great teams by himself and carry horrible teams to greatness by himself. As for Draymond's impact ... Draymond had like 3 straight single digit games, and Kyrie and LeBron both went off on the whole GSW defense, so what, exactly, was he doing that was of any worth? Lmao

He didn't nearly beat them. By game 4 the Warriors figured them out and never looked back. They were clearly the better team. A series going 6 games isn't necessarily "close". 6-7 Game series where one team is clearly better then the other happens all the time for whatever reason.

Jasper
10-21-2016, 10:10 AM
lol seriously. Imagine LeBron losing the chip while missing Kevin Love. No one would let him use that as a solid reason for losing, but Curry loses Draymond Green for one game, and he loses andrew bogut for two games and curry's out here doing 360 dunks in warmups, and yet people still wanted to give Curry excuses. We never expected actually expected too much from Curry. If you switch LeBron and Curry, there's no way the cavs had any shot at winning. LeBron with GSW could lose Draymond, Bogut and Harrison barnes and they'd still have won.

So no matter what happens, just remember games 5-7 of this past year's finals when thinking about who the better player is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MSh8zPpv8

Jasper
10-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Curry was never better nor will he ever be... switch them... look at the rosters and say that shit with a straight face, lmao...

2015 Finals

LeBron
Klay
Iggy
Green
Bogut

vs

Curry
JR
Shumpert
Thompson
Mozgov

LMAO 4 game sweep. ****outta here, ******s.as your line ups = yes
But these were not the lineups = TRUTH

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-21-2016, 10:48 AM
So people won't even acknowledge that the man was playing Injured?

Alright. Not Going to be like the Bron Stans that were literally making daily threads on how they wish Curry got hurt and were happy once he got hurt.

It would be terrible if Bron or Kyrie suffered a season-ending injury wont it?
:biggums:

BeastMode24
10-21-2016, 11:23 AM
hope lebron gets hurts in the playoffs like steph did so these idiots will realize the impact an injury has on a player's performance.

SouBeachTalents
10-21-2016, 11:42 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT4uQnvr1dCPmIzros/giphy.gif

Funny how Curry's injury didn't affect him when he dropped 40 his very first game back, or when he averaged 33/7/8 in Games 5-7 of the WCF to come back from 3-1

hold this L
10-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Funny how Curry's injury didn't affect him when he dropped 40 his very first game back, or when he averaged 33/7/8 in Games 5-7 of the WCF to come back from 3-1
It did affect him? He played like garbage for 3 1/2 quarters that entire game. Curry was flat out blocked once in the entire season with over 800 3PA. He was blocked twice by Adams in that semi-final. You guys just don't want to admit it and that's fine. Just make sure this upcoming postseason, you keep the tears to a minimum when he embarrasses teams.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-21-2016, 12:01 PM
https://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_meqhy6jGDx1rnjksoo1_500.gif

CTbasketball92
10-21-2016, 12:13 PM
So people won't even acknowledge that the man was playing Injured?

Alright. Not Going to be like the Bron Stans that were literally making daily threads on how they wish Curry got hurt and were happy once he got hurt.

It would be terrible if Bron or Kyrie suffered a season-ending injury wont it?
:biggums:

What Curry did or didn't do this year doesn't even matter that much to me. He just isn't the all around force that LeBron is. If you're being honest with yourself, you definitely expect a team with LeBron on it and only LeBron to go way farther than a team with just Curry.

Spurs m8
10-21-2016, 06:53 PM
It did affect him? He played like garbage for 3 1/2 quarters that entire game. Curry was flat out blocked once in the entire season with over 800 3PA. He was blocked twice by Adams in that semi-final. You guys just don't want to admit it and that's fine. Just make sure this upcoming postseason, you keep the tears to a minimum when he embarrasses teams.

He was blocked twice by Adams because he couldn't handle the pressure and took some stupid shots.
Happened a few times in big moments in the playoffs..

He was fine, you weak dogs are pathetic.

Like your team

Spurs m8
10-21-2016, 06:59 PM

I can tell he doesn't even believe he's back, looks too shook and knows he's a 0/22 type player when it actually matters.

Fake guy lapped up by plastic fans.

egokiller
10-21-2016, 09:09 PM

The problem with his post is that it provides zero evidence that Curry wasn't inurjed to the point that he couldn't play like he did during the regular season.

It also doesn't address Iggy being 50% due to a f'd up back.

The cavs were at like 90% and the GSW after being up 3-1 were at like 45%.

The fact that a 90% team can win 4 games in a row against a depleated 45% team should not come as a surprise.

What was surprising however is that we got to see a 24 year old phenom shoot 71% and score 40 points. If someone can tell me another 24 year old that has done this or better in a finals game, I'd love to discuss it.

LAZERUSS
10-21-2016, 11:34 PM
The problem with his post is that it provides zero evidence that Curry wasn't inurjed to the point that he couldn't play like he did during the regular season.

It also doesn't address Iggy being 50% due to a f'd up back.

The cavs were at like 90% and the GSW after being up 3-1 were at like 45%.

The fact that a 90% team can win 4 games in a row against a depleated 45% team should not come as a surprise.

What was surprising however is that we got to see a 24 year old phenom shoot 71% and score 40 points. If someone can tell me another 24 year old that has done this or better in a finals game, I'd love to discuss it.

This.

Iggy's injury obviously had the most impact. He had OWNED Lebron up until that point. And that's why I get a kick out of those that claim that LeChoke had no help in the '15 Finals. His teammates were shit offensively, but so was LeShrinkage. He averaged 36 ppg on a staggering 32 FGAs per game. And he did so while being SINGLED the ENTIRE series. And as poorly as he shot against the Warriors overall, he was just pure shit when defended by Iggy.

As for a 24 year old in the Finals...

Lew Alcindor (Kareem) hung a 31-17 game, in 33 minutes, in game one of the '71 Finals...on 13-16 from the field, and 5-5 from the line. I have long maintained that Kareem PEAKED at ages 23-24 (his 2nd and 3rd years in the league.) He was a MONSTER from mid-way thru his ROOKIE season (including the playoffs), then thru his entire '71 season (both regular season and post-season), and then thru his '72 regular season.

You had to have been around back at the beginning of the 71-72 season, but the young Bucks, who had just come off of a 66-16 regular season, and then a 12-2 post-season run, and with a PEAK Kareem, were universally picked to not only win their second title in a row, but many felt that they would be the next great dynasty. And KAJ was playing at prime Chamberlain levels in the process.

However, he was stunned when a fading Thurmond completely outplayed him in their first round of the '72 playoffs. And then was devastated when a old Wilt turned him into a brick-laying shot-jacker in the '72 WCF's.

He never fully recovered, and was never again as dominant as he had been. The Bucks slipped, as did Kareem, and within a couple of years he was traded to the Lakers, where he languished, unmotivated, and ultimately headed for a career that would have been considered one of the most disappointing in NBA history.

Fortunately, Magic arrived in the 79-80 season, and the rest was history.

warriorfan
10-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Golden State's three best defenders: Draymond Green(team's best defender), Andrew Bogut(team's only rim protector), and Andre Iguodala(prior year's FMVP) were all out of commission due to injury or suspension under dubious circumstances. The team that Kyrie Irving beat in the Finals does not accurately represent the record setting team that won 73 games during the regular season.

SouBeachTalents
10-21-2016, 11:42 PM
This.

Iggy's injury obviously had the most impact. He had OWNED Lebron up until that point. And that's why I get a kick out of those that claim that LeChoke had no help in the '15 Finals. His teammates were shit offensively, but so was LeShrinkage. He averaged 36 ppg on a staggering 32 FGAs per game. And he did so while being SINGLED the ENTIRE series. And as poorly as he shot against the Warriors overall, he was just pure shit when defended by Iggy.

As for a 24 year old in the Finals...

Lew Alcindor (Kareem) hung a 31-17 game, in 33 minutes, in game one of the '71 Finals...on 13-16 from the field, and 5-5 from the line. I have long maintained that Kareem PEAKED at ages 23-24 (his 2nd and 3rd years in the league.) He was a MONSTER from mid-way thru his ROOKIE season (including the playoffs), then thru his entire '71 season (both regular season and post-season), and then thru his '72 regular season.

You had to have been around back at the beginning of the 71-72 season, but the young Bucks, who had just come off of a 66-16 regular season, and then a 12-2 post-season run, and with a PEAK Kareem, were universally picked to not only win their second title in a row, but many felt that they would be the next great dynasty. And KAJ was playing at prime Chamberlain levels in the process.

However, he was stunned when a fading Thurmond completely outplayed him in their first round of the '72 playoffs. And then was devastated when a old Wilt turned him into a brick-laying shot-jacker in the '72 WCF's.

He never fully recovered, and was never again as dominant as he had been. The Bucks slipped, as did Kareem, and within a couple of years he was traded to the Lakers, where he languished, unmotivated, and ultimately headed for a career that would have been considered one of the most disappointing in NBA history.

Fortunately, Magic arrived in the 79-80 season, and the rest was history.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11499521&postcount=31

SpaceJammeR
10-22-2016, 12:30 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

hold this L
10-22-2016, 01:06 AM
He was blocked twice by Adams because he couldn't handle the pressure and took some stupid shots.
Happened a few times in big moments in the playoffs..

He was fine, you weak dogs are pathetic.

Like your team
He couldn't handle the pressure, yet averaged 30+ being down 3-1? :lol You realize he has historic 4th quarter numbers in the playoffs in terms of his % right from 2 seasons back?

Mr Feeny
10-22-2016, 02:40 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That was before lebron made and absolutely iron-clad case to leap wilt on the all time list.
After the greatest performance in finals history, it's rhetoric 3 J's (James, Jordan, and Jabbar) at the summit and fans of all other players are throwing fits.

LAZERUSS
10-22-2016, 02:42 AM

Exactly.

Jordan had his playoff flop jobs, too.

Doesn't detract from the Court Jester's horrific offensive ineptitude in his '15 Finals (and thru the first four games of the '16 Finals.)

The Shrinkage fans love to point out the pathetic surrounding offensive talent that LeFlop had in the '15 Finals...but those same teammates were dramatically reducing the Warrior's efficiencies, as well.

And the '16 Finals were well on their way to really exposing LeFoldo until the NBA stepped in and suspended Draymond (who was, BY FAR, the best player on the floor in game seven), and then the injuries to Bogut and particularly to Iguadala, who had just made LePuke look like a blind man shooting a bowling ball in a wind-tunnel from the '15 Finals, the two regular season H2H's in '16, and the first four games of the '16 Finals.

Game four of the '16 Finals was a great example of the Jester's stats-padding. Iggy held him to his usual poor shooting (8-18, and contributing nothing when they needed him.) Then, with the Cavs trailing by nine points and desperately needing treys, LeCoward drove down the lane, on three straight possessions, where the Warriors gladly exchanged layups for Chokurry's FTs. So, both LeCrap and Glass added empty points to their totals.

With everything that went wrong for GS...they still lost a game seven, on a Kyrie three. Oh, and in the last four minutes of that game...LeTiny went his usual 0-4 from the field (eerily similar to his game six of the '13 Finals...when it was Ray who saved his ass). And then the clown drove the lane, landed a little awkwardly, but was hardly hurt....then curled up in the fetal position, and cried like the baby he is. Of course, he was really prepping his fans for the inevitable...that he would whiff both FTs. He chunked the first one, and then somehow made the second one (I'm sure he even he was shocked when it went in.)

swagga
10-22-2016, 09:39 AM
whoever thinks or ever thought that curry was even comparable to lebron should quit watching basketball and stick to casual stuff.

Mr Feeny
10-22-2016, 10:19 AM
It's the 3 J's, and then the rest.
:applause:

Prime_Shaq
10-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Let's not act like Curry didn't have one of the best offensive regular seasons of all-time though, sure he played like shit in the finals but he had an absolutely remarkable RS.