PDA

View Full Version : NBA Supposedly Talked With EuroLeague Clubs About Expansion

Euroleague
10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Supposedly, the NBA has recently talked with several EuroLeague clubs about the possibility of them becoming NBA expansion franchises. These EuroLeague clubs are rumored to be:

Real Madrid (Spain)
FC Barcelona (Spain)

CSKA Moscow (Russia)

Fenerbahce Istanbul (Turkey)

Panathinaikos Athens (Greece)
Olympiacos Piraeus (Greece)

The possible expansion could supposedly happen fairly soon. Since the NBA and these EuroLeague teams are rumored to have been recently discussing the details.

Before these EuroLeague clubs could become NBA expansion franchises, they would supposedly first have their junior clubs converted into a new NBA Europe Junior League. This will supposedly be done as a test run. Apparently, after the NBA Europe Junior League has been established, then the NBA Europe senior league could be established.

1manfastbreak
10-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Link??

qrich
10-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Link??

That word is not in his dictionary.

egokiller
10-21-2016, 09:21 PM
None of those teams can even beat a D-leauge NBA team. It wouldn't make any sense to move them into the NBA when you got guys in the D-leauge who are more deserving of a shot in the NBA and are better players.

jbryan1984
10-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I just don't ever see it happening. The travel is the problem. I could see the NBA having an NBA Europe or something like that. But, I can't see like the Cavs or the Warriors flying over there and vice versa.

EricGordon23
10-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Last I read was after they finished negotiating the new CBA they were going to discuss Seattle and Vancouver getting a team.

AirBonner
10-22-2016, 01:42 AM
None of those teams can even beat a D-leauge NBA team. It wouldn't make any sense to move them into the NBA when you got guys in the D-leauge who are more deserving of a shot in the NBA and are better players.
This. Pointless to take a 9hour flight to blow out your opponent by 40pts :oldlol:

bluechox2
10-22-2016, 02:26 AM
um...thats the point, dleaguers have a better chance at the nba joining those euro teams and expanision teams in seatle/vanc... those teams gets to choose from teh nba/american crop as well

euro scrubs will eventully go to thier 2nd tier euroleague while nba absorb all the assets of the first tier teams/stadiums and its base...

though to minimize travel time, teams would have to go to europe after playing an atlantic divisson team or east coast (toronto/boston/ny/DC)

LAZERUSS
10-22-2016, 03:01 AM

The only way this would occur, is if the NBA would put up an expansion draft from current NBA rosters. And even then, the crap that the Euro teams would draft from those NBA rosters would ensure nothing but bottom-feeders in Europe.

It would probably take at least five years of building thru the general draft, and signing free agents before the Euros would be competitive.

Of course, the result would still be a vast majority of US grown players filling those rosters, as well.

K.dot ShowTime
10-22-2016, 03:56 AM
Spanoulis for the MVP

-DJ Strawberry

BigKAT
10-22-2016, 04:03 AM
Isn't the flight distance a bit far?

Greece to USA is about 10 hours, or 16 depends on where you're coming from.
It would be impossible to incoporate this in an NBA season properly while giving those teams 82 games.

I just don't see it happening.

Yes, games could happens.
Maybe even a Playoff berth for the European teams, but that would mean their 'Home' games will have to happen on American or Canadian soil.

Tbh, I feel like it's not worth the hassle.
European teams will not be able to compete with American Payrolls (with the exception of maybe Real Madrid.)

My country's best team Maccbi Tel Aviv (The one that won triple crown with David Blatt and the Euroleague champs in 2014, giving him that cleveland job) Is one of the top 4 Euroleague teams all time, and had some seriously good stretches during the early 2000's. Yet I don't think it would be good for them to compete in the NBA. Same for Real Madric and Barcalona.

You'd lose all the talent to the NBA, the logistics are too difficult to be worth it.

How about focusing on more Canadian teams?
I don't know about your 'sources' OP, but I have seen actual articles about new expansion teams in Las Vegas, Vancuver and Seattle.

That seems like a much more reasonble and effective way to expand the NBA.

Plus, I think Seattle is long due to have a team back. (If they can get their affairs in order, and get a new Arena set up.) Also, A team in Las Vegas would be dope as hell.

swagga
10-22-2016, 09:35 AM
the same motherfukking thread each year. euroleague :roll:

Euroleague
10-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Every D-League team would go 0-30 in EuroLeague.

Euroleague
10-22-2016, 04:24 PM
The only way this would occur, is if the NBA would put up an expansion draft from current NBA rosters. And even then, the crap that the Euro teams would draft from those NBA rosters would ensure nothing but bottom-feeders in Europe.

It would probably take at least five years of building thru the general draft, and signing free agents before the Euros would be competitive.

Of course, the result would still be a vast majority of US grown players filling those rosters, as well.

Draft systems are illegal under European law, you freaking idiot.

Euroleague
10-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Isn't the flight distance a bit far?

Greece to USA is about 10 hours, or 16 depends on where you're coming from.
It would be impossible to incoporate this in an NBA season properly while giving those teams 82 games.

I just don't see it happening.

Yes, games could happens.
Maybe even a Playoff berth for the European teams, but that would mean their 'Home' games will have to happen on American or Canadian soil.

Tbh, I feel like it's not worth the hassle.
European teams will not be able to compete with American Payrolls (with the exception of maybe Real Madrid.)

My country's best team Maccbi Tel Aviv (The one that won triple crown with David Blatt and the Euroleague champs in 2014, giving him that cleveland job) Is one of the top 4 Euroleague teams all time, and had some seriously good stretches during the early 2000's. Yet I don't think it would be good for them to compete in the NBA. Same for Real Madric and Barcalona.

You'd lose all the talent to the NBA, the logistics are too difficult to be worth it.

How about focusing on more Canadian teams?
I don't know about your 'sources' OP, but I have seen actual articles about new expansion teams in Las Vegas, Vancuver and Seattle.

That seems like a much more reasonble and effective way to expand the NBA.

Plus, I think Seattle is long due to have a team back. (If they can get their affairs in order, and get a new Arena set up.) Also, A team in Las Vegas would be dope as hell.

WTF are you talking about? Every single one of those teams is owned by either multi billionaires, or by multi billion corporations. CSKA is far, far, far richer than any NBA team is.

jrjim
10-22-2016, 04:52 PM
NBPA wont agree. TF would wanna live in Europe when you can live the US of freakin A

Euroleague
10-24-2016, 01:40 PM
CONFIRMED

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/332443/dont-see-teams-europe-playing-nba-now

Confirmed the NBA discussed it with EuroLeague teams.

Confirmed that if it happens it will be more than one team and will be a European conference.

Confirmed that they are starting with a Junior European NBA conference involving the teams first.

Euroleague
10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Junior NBA EuroLeague CONFIRMED

http://www.eurohoops.net/nba-news/332272/olympiacos-panathinaikos-launch-jr-nba-leagues

qrich
10-24-2016, 01:58 PM
There are going to be two leagues, Jr. NBA Panathinaikos Basket League and Jr. NBA Olympiacos Basket League, for both boys and girls ages 10 to 12.

Expansion is happening :rockon:

Euroleague
10-24-2016, 02:01 PM
There are going to be two leagues, Jr. NBA Panathinaikos Basket League and Jr. NBA Olympiacos Basket League, for both boys and girls ages 10 to 12.

Expansion is happening :rockon:

You are just mad because what I said is obviously true, and once again I was proven right, and once again I broke the story before any media in USA ever even knew about it.

qrich
10-24-2016, 02:14 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/vv41HlvfogHAY/200.gif

12-year olds will be the European NBA participants

MrFonzworth
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM
The average Euroleague player is suffering from premature balding.

LAZERUSS
10-24-2016, 09:50 PM

12-year olds will be the European NBA participants

Boys and GIRLS, too.

Interesting too, that the US could send their best 10-12 year olds, and they would dominate in Euroleague.

Smook A.
10-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Who gives a shit, it's not gonna happen

Euroleague
10-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes, it is.

qrich
10-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Boys and GIRLS, too.

Interesting too, that the US could send their best 10-12 year olds, and they would dominate in Euroleague.

I wonder if we can send our 7-9 group and still win?

fiddy
10-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Deserving? NBA doesnt know the meaning of that word. They are obviously after making money and Europe is a huge market. The thing that turns off europeans about NBA is the time zones.

1manfastbreak
10-27-2016, 06:44 PM
It would be pretty cool to have NBA teams play Euro League teams.

I can't see it ever feasibly happening outside of preseason, and even with that you will not get the best play from the NBA players, because it's preseason.

Euroleague
10-27-2016, 06:55 PM

I can't see it ever feasibly happening outside of preseason, and even with that you will not get the best play from the NBA players, because it's preseason.

EuroLeague teams use their bench players more than the NBA teams do, in almost all of those games.

qrich
10-27-2016, 06:58 PM

The games would be very lopsided though unless you want the bottom 1/3 of the NBA. It'd be like the MLS facing the top level La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga/Premier League sides.