PDA

View Full Version : Curry vs Bron

Jasper
10-23-2016, 10:39 AM
This should have some interesting answers :

If you eliminated Curry's jump shot , what kind of player would you have ?

__________________________________________________ _______

If you eliminated Bron's slashing , what kind of player would you have ?

__________________________________________________ ________

* feel free to use stats, all-star selections , winning a finals etc ..

sunnyboy91
10-23-2016, 10:56 AM
If Curry had a league average jump shot, he would be around Jeff Teague level of effectiveness maybe.
Lebron, with league average slashing would still be a top player, maybe around PG13 level.

LBJ has a much more well rounded game, and is capable of elite defense.
Lucky for Curry, he is by far the best shooter in NBA history.

BigKAT
10-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Please explain my friend.

I can understand the mechanics of losing a Jump shot.

But I don't quite understand the slashing thing.

1. Does he lose his speed?
2. Does he lose the ability to finish in traffic?
3. Does he lose the ability to catch the ball on the move?
4. Does he lose the ability to finish at the Rim?

I think you need to base it down to something more concerte.
Perhaps consider those.

What if Lebron was an average athlete?
What if Lebron wasn't a good passer?
What if Lebron wasn't a good defender?
What if Lebron never picked up post play?

And taking away curry's jumpshot seems redundent.
He's got some nice moves inside, and can get by his defender.
But that is -because- of his jumpshot. His passing is enhanced by the attention he gets -because- of his jumpshot. Same with Lebron's passing and his post play, you take away his size and he isn't going to do much with it. Or be as good as a defender.

Really, I think players are too complex to just 'remove one attribute'.
This isn't 2k my friend.

Orlando Magic
10-23-2016, 12:05 PM
I'll keep this simple... if Curry had an average to below average jumper, he's out of the league.

Without driving, LeBron still is an NBA player. He's more of a slightly above average type though... bordering on an all star..
definitely not an all time great.

Curry's D is mediocre at best and if you take away his jumper, teams don't collapse on him and there goes the vast majority of his assists or hockey assists and he essentially becomes a non issue. What are teams to fear? His drive and finish? His drive and kick? LOL. RIGHT.

LeBron could still pass and hit the right man on the court every time and his jumper would improve. His defense is far above average so there's no problem there.

Before people say if LeBron's jumper could improve why couldn't Curry's ability to finish at the hoop? It could... just not as much. Height is height. A jumper can be improved and height can't.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
I'll keep this simple... if Curry had an average to below average jumper, he's out of the league.

Without driving, LeBron still is an NBA player. He's more of a slightly above average type though... bordering on an all star..

Curry's D is mediocre at best and if you take away his jumper, teams don't collapse on him and there goes the vast majority of his assists or hockey assists and he essentially becomes a non issue. What are teams to fear? His drive and finish? His drive and kick? LOL. RIGHT.

LeBron could still pass and hit the right man on the court every time and his jumper would improve. His defense is far above average so there's no problem there.

Before people say if LeBron's jumper could improve why couldn't Curry's ability to finish at the hoop? It could... just not as much. Height is height. A jumper can be improved and height can't.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
http://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_mt7zdsIpUM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

hold this L
10-23-2016, 12:33 PM

It's one of the best in the league. His % was 5th-7th in the league last season, with only centers and one other player that play SF or PF.. forget who it was. I see Jasper is still making moronic posts about Curry. :lol

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Remove Brons Athleticism and Height and He would be working in McDonalds.

Jasper
10-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Perhaps consider those.

But that is -because- of his jumpshot. His passing is enhanced by the attention he gets -because- of his jumpshot. Same with Lebron's passing and his post play, you take away his size and he isn't going to do much with it. Or be as good as a defender.

This isn't 2k my friend.
You figure out why he isn't an effective slasher , that is critical to his game.

CuhGetsBucks
10-23-2016, 12:58 PM

Perhaps consider those.

This isn't 2k my friend.
Lol anyone noticing that KAT tryna get sassy in his posts now?:oldlol:

PP34Deuce
10-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Remove Brons Athleticism and Height and He would be working in McDonalds.

Legit 6 8 250 pound SF with even average athleticism will get drafted.

If Ryan gomes could be am NBA player so could average athlete bron.

Orlando Magic
10-23-2016, 01:59 PM
It's one of the best in the league. His % was 5th-7th in the league last season, with only centers and one other player that play SF or PF.. forget who it was. I see Jasper is still making moronic posts about Curry. :lol

You don't think teams would play Curry differently if he didn't have a jumper? Keep dreaming, lol.

hold this L
10-23-2016, 02:02 PM
You don't think teams would play Curry differently if he didn't have a jumper? Keep dreaming, lol.
I'm sure they would, but you said his inability to finish at the rim which is wrong. He's an elite finisher at the rim with some of the best handles in the game after Kyrie.

CuhGetsBucks
10-23-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm sure they would, but you said his inability to finish at the rim which is wrong. He's an elite finisher at the rim with some of the best handles in the game after Kyrie.
Curry is an elite finisher but I can name about 5 players who have better handles than him.

Orlando Magic
10-23-2016, 02:24 PM

A lot of his shots in the paint are what you could consider uncontested because his jumper is so ****ing good that his man has had to massively "overplay" him defensively which when combined with curry's handles explains how he gets those shots.

If his defenders played him like a normal shooter those stats in the paint would ****ing TANK.

Like I said... out of the league.

egokiller
10-23-2016, 02:35 PM
There's not enough time in a day, week, month, year or eternity to work on every single aspect of your game to have it all be perfect. If there was, every player for their position in the NBA would be equal, barring drastic genetic differences. These players have to pick and choose what they want to work on based on their genetic attributes.

Do you think Curry became a good shooter by practicing his slashes to the basket?

Do you think Lebron became a good slasher by practicing jump shots?

These guys realize they are good at something, so they work to perfect that aspect of their game.

Could Lebron work to become as good of a 3 point shooter as Curry? He could try but his genetics and frame effect his balance and shot mechanics. The physics of his shot even at perfect form is different than that of Curry's. It would make zero sense for Lebron to only practice mainly 3's and not focus as much on the rest of his game the way Curry does. What I will tell you is that if Lebron had the frame of say John Stockton where working on certain aspects of his game that he currenlty works on would be pointless and therefore his career would be like that of a stockton or Nash, he'd be the best passer the game has ever seen.

hold this L
10-23-2016, 03:42 PM
A lot of his shots in the paint are what you could consider uncontested because his jumper is so ****ing good that his man has had to massively "overplay" him defensively which when combined with curry's handles explains how he gets those shots.

If his defenders played him like a normal shooter those stats in the paint would ****ing TANK.

Nice mental gymnastics you jump to pull your imaginary what if scenario. But I can see I'm talking to a complete moron who thinks someone who has some of the best %s ever in the paint for a PG would tank if defenders would mark him differently.

Nash
10-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Lee
Brawn
Raymone
GOAT
James

TommyGriffin
10-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Last season I honestly have to say Curry was better.

Inferno
10-23-2016, 06:35 PM

Curry had the second highest % at the rim last year behind LeBron, but he'd be out of the league with an average jumpshot. Goes to show what kind of people post on this board :oldlol:

jlip
10-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Since Curry is technically a pg I'm trying to think of an all star caliber pg with no jumper. Prime Rondo is the first player that comes to mind. So if Curry lost his jumper does he have the passing and defense to be as effective as prime Rondo?

Lebron is a versatile forward. If he lost his dominant driving ability he could probably still be a Draymond Green caliber player.

BigKAT
10-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Lol anyone noticing that KAT tryna get sassy in his posts now?:oldlol:

If that's sassy by your book than you might've experienced some difficulties in particular situations, my friend.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
10-23-2016, 10:48 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: You're a fkn Idiot.

CuhGetsBucks
10-24-2016, 12:07 AM
If that's sassy by your book than you might've experienced some difficulties in particular situations, my friend.
Lol like the difficulty you had explaining that you're "not" a mod?

AintNoSunshine
10-24-2016, 05:40 AM
Cuckry without the jumpshot = regular 9 to 5 guy off the street.

Bron without elite slashing ability = Magic

BigKAT
10-24-2016, 06:14 AM
Lol like the difficulty you had explaining that you're "not" a mod?

Difficulty that stems from real situations, my friend.
But that is besides the point, and I am not here to boast about anything.

We're here to discuss basketball, and we should do just that.

To the topic at hand:

What you're really asking is this in my opinion,

Which of the two is less reliant on -one- ability.
The answer, at this point in time, and likely forever, is Lebron.
While Curry is a transcendent player, his impact comes mostly in his shooting.

Lebron has been capable of being extraordinary in multiple fields, among them defense, playmaking and leadership. (Changing Cleveland's culture.)

Jasper
10-24-2016, 01:14 PM
There's not enough time in a day, week, month, year or eternity to work on every single aspect of your game to have it all be perfect. If there was, every player for their position in the NBA would be equal, barring drastic genetic differences. These players have to pick and choose what they want to work on based on their genetic attributes.

Do you think Curry became a good shooter by practicing his slashes to the basket?

Do you think Lebron became a good slasher by practicing jump shots?

These guys realize they are good at something, so they work to perfect that aspect of their game.

Could Lebron work to become as good of a 3 point shooter as Curry? He could try but his genetics and frame effect his balance and shot mechanics. The physics of his shot even at perfect form is different than that of Curry's. It would make zero sense for Lebron to only practice mainly 3's and not focus as much on the rest of his game the way Curry does. What I will tell you is that if Lebron had the frame of say John Stockton where working on certain aspects of his game that he currenlty works on would be pointless and therefore his career would be like that of a stockton or Nash, he'd be the best passer the game has ever seen.

Something wrong with this post :confusedshrug:
All players are different , because they are human.
They are all professional athlete's and I can guarantee they work on all parts of their games , and most importantly their weaknesses.
Other wise they would not be professionals.

pauk
10-24-2016, 07:29 PM
Curry without a jumpshot is a ridicilous downgrade, his shooting ability/touch is probably the best we have ever seen and thats all he has, he wins/dominates with only that, its that good of a shooting ability... thats all that makes him him... waaaaaaay to dependant on this very thing, anything else would be no problem but shooting... ouch... you take away this and you have yourself a 6 footer with nice ballhandling, average passing skills and bad defense... a guy you can find at any of your random street court... its so much of a downgrade i honestly think he wouldnt be an nba player, more of an office clerk posting on ISH...

Lebron with no slashing however sounds like a Magic Johnson clone (more posting up, less athletic, more reason to exploit his insane vision/passing skills, less lockdown & chasedowns).... no biggie... he still has everything else... lebron is lebron due to his crazy versatility... you take away anything and he still is an nba player, still maybe the best...

You take away his defense that means he just has more energy to exploit offensively.... and vice versa...

You take away his passing and he now focuses on scoring much more than he already is/has.... and vice versa....

You take away his height and he is a PG... a rondo with much better scoring and athleticism.. or a westbrook with better passing and defense...

You take away his athleticism and he is more of a Magic Johnson...

He is not one dimensional, Curry is.. and that one dimension he has is goat level, its so good so it more than overcompensates to a point where he can even be the best player... he is nothing without it, immediately...