PDA

View Full Version : LeBron's Game 7 Finals vs. Warriors (2016) or Magic's Game 6 Finals vs. Philly (1980)

mehyaM24
10-23-2016, 05:38 PM
the two greatest closeout games, on the biggest stage, from the 2 most well-rounded perimeter players in history.

on one hand, you have lebron and his cavs coming back in historic fashion, beating the juggernaut 70-win warrior team with 27/11/11 and "the block".

but on the other hand, ROOKIE magic fills in for kareem (injury), plays center, and ends up with 44/15/7 against doctor j, who alongside kareem, was arguably the best player at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au7WJbus5BM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DZHvy-AaA

so which single-game performance is considered "greater" in your opinion?

SouBeachTalents
10-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Magic's easily. You would've been better off comparing LeBron's Game 5 or 6 from this years Finals

TommyGriffin
10-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Both were great performances. Warriors were missing Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala though and Magic was a rookie playing out of position. I would say Magic's was better.

mehyaM24
10-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Magic's easily. You would've been better off comparing LeBron's Game 5 or 6 from this years Finals

well, both came off of championships and individual accolades (fmvp).
taking into account circumstance? i think lebron's game 7 fares pretty well actually....despite the inferior raw numbers.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/lebronblock2.gif?w=650

LAZERUSS
10-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Magic's game six was BY FAR, the greater game. In EVERY facet of the game.

And Magic didn't fade down the stretch like Shrinkage did in his game.

mehyaM24
10-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Magic's game six was BY FAR, the greater game. In EVERY facet of the game.

And Magic didn't fade down the stretch like Shrinkage did in his game.

wilt isn't being discussed itt man.

but i can also understand why you would think magic was "BY FAR" greater in every facet.

aj1987
10-23-2016, 06:34 PM
wilt isn't being discussed itt man.

but i can also understand why you would think magic was "BY FAR" greater in every facet.
:roll: :roll:

Lozerus still on that fixation.

colts19
10-23-2016, 07:57 PM
This one is clearly Magic. He was only 19 years old. I don't see how anyone can see this as even close. I have watched a lot of basketball and would say given the totality of the circumstances, it would be almost impossible to come up with a greater game than Magic's. Maybe if it had been a game 7, it would have been more impressive.

egokiller
10-23-2016, 08:02 PM
This one is clearly Magic. He was only 19 years old. I don't see how anyone can see this as even close. I have watched a lot of basketball and would say given the totality of the circumstances, it would be almost impossible to come up with a greater game than Magic's. Maybe if it had been a game 7, it would have been more impressive.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgD-2f-zjs

aj1987
10-23-2016, 08:10 PM
:facepalm

LAZERUSS
10-23-2016, 08:48 PM
:facepalm

What a gross exaggeration right? Magic was 20. Not 19.

LAZERUSS
10-23-2016, 09:00 PM
the two greatest closeout games, on the biggest stage, from the 2 most well-rounded perimeter players in history.

on one hand, you have lebron and his cavs coming back in historic fashion, beating the juggernaut 70-win warrior team with 27/11/11 and "the block".

but on the other hand, ROOKIE magic fills in for kareem (injury), plays center, and ends up with 44/15/7 against doctor j, who alongside kareem, was arguably the best player at the time.

The two greatest "closeout" games?

The Court Jester wasn't even the best player on the floor in that game seven.
Draymond Green led BOTH teams in scoring, rebounding, FG%, eFG%, FT%, 3pt %, and TS%...and by a wide margin in nearly all of those categories. And his 9 assists were just behind LeFlop's 11.

Magic was miles ahead of everyone in scoring and rebounding, and his TS% was a spectacular .720.

colts19
10-23-2016, 10:04 PM
I knew he was 20, I don't know why I typed 19. Like LAZ say's so what he was 20 instead of 19 big deal.

SouBeachTalents
10-23-2016, 10:22 PM
If you wanted to use a Finals Game 7, better examples would've been either

Frazier's 36/7/19 in the '70 Finals
Worthy's 36/16/10 in the '88 Finals

How would you guys rank those two and Magic's?

aj1987
10-23-2016, 10:25 PM
What a gross exaggeration right? Magic was 20. Not 19.
A 20 year old rookie Magic had a better Finals game than ANY postseason game Ilt Chokerlain had. :roll:

Bawkish
10-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Lebron's game 7 is now getting overrated

Hey Yo
10-24-2016, 04:19 AM

The only time in that game Magic filled in for Kareem was for the jump ball at the beginning of the game. Him playing Center that game is just a myth.....it never happened

AintNoSunshine
10-24-2016, 05:32 AM
:facepalm This has got to be agenda driven. Lebron's game 7 was great, but Magic's was clearly greater.

Bawkish
10-24-2016, 05:38 AM
The only time in that game Magic filled in for Kareem was for the jump ball at the beginning of the game. Him playing Center that game is just a myth.....it never happened

and?

doesn't change the fact that Magic still have what most people says the greatest finals performance in NBA history

Hey Yo
10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
and?
and????

Just correcting/educating the OP that Johnson didn't play C that game. This way he and others won't make the same mistake in the future.

doesn't change the fact that Magic still have what most people says the greatest finals performance in NBA history
It was a very good performance but certainly not the greatest Finals performance ever. The myth of him playing Center is what makes some people think that.

Jamaal Wilkes' career high 37pts and also had 10TRB was the leading scorer until Magic got some free throws at the end of the game when Philly started purposely fouling.

Magic had a great game 6, but certainly had a lot of help that night.

Bawkish
10-24-2016, 12:06 PM
It was a very good performance but certainly not the greatest Finals performance ever.

really? who'd you think had the GOAT single game finals performance?

Magic's & MJ's 1998 performance were among the top

SouBeachTalents
10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
really? who'd you think had the GOAT single game finals performance?

Magic's & MJ's 1998 performance were among the top

I mentioned them earlier, but I'd go with either Frazier's Game 7 in the '70 Finals, or Worthy's Game 7 in the '88 Finals

Bawkish
10-24-2016, 01:31 PM
I mentioned them earlier, but I'd go with either Frazier's Game 7 in the '70 Finals, or Worthy's Game 7 in the '88 Finals

am i asking the same poster?

tpols
10-24-2016, 01:49 PM
The Court Jester wasn't even the best player on the floor in that game seven.
Draymond Green led BOTH teams in scoring, rebounding, FG%, eFG%, FT%, 3pt %, and TS%...and by a wide margin in nearly all of those categories. And his 9 assists were just behind LeFlop's 11.

it is true.. the Cavs and Lebron needed dray's mid series nuetering.. he wouldve been FMVP in 5 if not for the interference.

colts19
10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
A 20 year old rookie Magic had a better Finals game than ANY postseason game Ilt Chokerlain had. :roll:

A 20 year old Magic had a better Finals game than ANY postseason game of ANYONE. So what's your point.

aj1987
10-24-2016, 03:35 PM
A 20 year old Magic had a better Finals game than ANY postseason game of ANYONE. So what's your point.
You're WAY off. For a dude who had watched a "lot" of basketball, you should know better. LeBron, MJ, Wade, Shaq, etc. had arguably (or even just flat out better) Finals games than Magic's G6.