PDA

View Full Version : Next BITW for the Long Haul?

Naero
10-29-2016, 02:51 PM
For at least several years, LeBron has been the putative BITW--and still is, depending on the semantics one wants to play. Some have temporarily toppled him for the distinction--namely Stephen Curry in last year's regular season and Kevin Durant in '14--but it's ultimately been considered the the 4-time MVP's and 3-time Final MVP's throne at the end of the season, making him one of the longest-reigning BITWs in NBA history.

It's clear that his decline is imminent, however, and it begs the question on who his heir apparent will be soon. Several superstars could take that stead as LeBron truly starts to recede away from it soon, but the most likely candidates for the near future--namely Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry--are already in their peak years; therefore, it seems implausible that they'll hold it for nearly as long as The King has.

Who is most likely to become the next BITW for the long haul--specifically one who isn't even in the neighborhood of their peak yet?

To me, it boils down to either Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard--and possibly Karl-Anthony Towns, but I'll need to see more of his trajectory first. As far as reputation dictates, The Claw seems the most likely to me, because playoffs success is instrumental for such narratives and he is in the most viable position in that regard for the near future.

Discuss.

Bankaii
10-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I think it's AD. And no this isn't an overreaction to the past 2 games, even in 2015 he was concensus top 3-4.

He just needs to learn how to close out games, become a real defensive anchor, and impact his team greater. The Pels are shit but I honestly don't see Lebron, 2014 KD, 2009-11 Dwight, etc missing the playoffs in the weak West.

ArbitraryWater
10-29-2016, 02:58 PM
You hit the nail on the head.. KI will have more of a chance to prove himself than Davis if AD doesn't get some competent teams soon...

BigKAT
10-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Well, let's look it that way.

The way I see it,

It's Lebron --- > Kobe ----> Jordan in terms of BITW.
Yes, Kobe wasn't as dominant as Lebron or Jordan in terms of MVP's, but there's no doubt that the 00's belong to him, more than any other player. Maybe you could argue Duncan is up there, but I think most NBA players and GM's you'll ask will tell you that Lebron was heir to Kobe, and Kobe to MJ.

Now, let's look at the data -considering- you go along with my persumptions.

Kobe was drafted at 1996, at that point MJ was champion and several times MVP, on the down trajectory. About three years later his reign was over.

Lebron was drafted at 2003, with Kobe already considered by some the best in the world, he had about four more years until 09' when people I guess started considering Lebron superior at least individually.

So if we're looking at that, I'm guessing the most likely subject should come from the 2012-2015 Drafts in order to really be the 'Heir apperant' in terms of timing. Lebron's rivals could possibly take over as he declines, but their reigns, like you said, won't last that long when comparing to Lebron, Kobe or MJ.

So yeah you've got AD from the 2012 Draft, which is a likely suspect.
You also have Kawahi from the 2011 Draft, which is still young, and he's got the right system but you got to wonder what happens to him and his team the day Pop retires. (He's looking great so far tbh.)

As much as we like to prop big men, and as much as I like KAT, I think the next BITW will be a Point Guard or a Wing.

But honestly, other then Kawahi, I don't think there's anyone good enough.
And you know what? Maybe there won't be a consenus BITW. Maybe we'll go back to the 80s, with 2-3 players standing at the mountaintop, taking turns hoisting the championship. (Kinda like Kobe and Duncan across the 00's?)

Orlando Magic
10-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Well, let's look it that way.

The way I see it,

It's Lebron --- > Kobe ----> Jordan in terms of BITW.
Yes, Kobe wasn't as dominant as Lebron or Jordan in terms of MVP's, but there's no doubt that the 00's belong to him, more than any other player. Maybe you could argue Duncan is up there, but I think most NBA players and GM's you'll ask will tell you that Lebron was heir to Kobe, and Kobe to MJ.

Now, let's look at the data -considering- you go along with my persumptions.

Kobe was drafted at 1996, at that point MJ was champion and several times MVP, on the down trajectory. About three years later his reign was over.

Lebron was drafted at 2003, with Kobe already considered by some the best in the world, he had about four more years until 09' when people I guess started considering Lebron superior at least individually.

So if we're looking at that, I'm guessing the most likely subject should come from the 2012-2015 Drafts in order to really be the 'Heir apperant' in terms of timing. Lebron's rivals could possibly take over as he declines, but their reigns, like you said, won't last that long when comparing to Lebron, Kobe or MJ.

So yeah you've got AD from the 2012 Draft, which is a likely suspect.
You also have Kawahi from the 2011 Draft, which is still young, and he's got the right system but you got to wonder what happens to him and his team the day Pop retires. (He's looking great so far tbh.)

As much as we like to prop big men, and as much as I like KAT, I think the next BITW will be a Point Guard or a Wing.

But honestly, other then Kawahi, I don't think there's anyone good enough.
And you know what? Maybe there won't be a consenus BITW. Maybe we'll go back to the 80s, with 2-3 players standing at the mountaintop, taking turns hoisting the championship. (Kinda like Kobe and Duncan across the 00's?)

I respect the fact that your posts are thought out and sensible.

However, you are just wrong. You could not have watched the entire 2000s to truly believe that it was Kobe's decade. There wasn't a single year during that entire time span in which Kobe was even close to indisputably being the best player in the world.

Tim Duncan was the best player of the 2000s in terms of extremely high level play spanning the entire 10 years. And it's not particularly close TBH.

LeBron was a better player than Kobe by 07 or 08.

Kobe is one of the greatest ISO scorers ever and that's where the buck stops for him.

As for OP? In it for the long haul? As in let's just say 5+ years as pretty much undisputed best? I honestly don't know. I don't think that guy has arrived into the league yet. When you really take into account competition and who else is actually playing in the league, I think only Jordan and LeBron can claim "undisputed best" for a period of 5+ years. I'm not even sure another player besides those two can make that claim. Shaq might be the only other guy that can eek it out. 98-99 through 02-03.

Jacks3
10-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Tim Duncan was the best player of the 2000s in terms of extremely high level play spanning the entire 10 years. And it's not particularly close TBH.

Kobe is one of the greatest ISO scorers ever and that's where the buck stops for him.

As for OP? In it for the long haul? As in let's just say 5+ years as pretty much undisputed best? I honestly don't know. I don't think that guy has arrived into the league yet. When you really take into account competition and who else is actually playing in the league, I think only Jordan and LeBron can claim "undisputed best" for a period of 5+ years. I'm not even sure another player besides those two can make that claim. Shaq might be the only other guy that can eek it out. 98-99 through 02-03.

Wow. You're clueless.

Orlando Magic
10-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Wow. You're clueless.

Wow. You're clueless.

BigKAT
10-29-2016, 04:11 PM

However, you are just wrong. You could not have watched the entire 2000s to truly believe that it was Kobe's decade. There wasn't a single year during that entire time span in which Kobe was even close to indisputably being the best player in the world.

:cheers:

warriorfan
10-29-2016, 04:20 PM
If Curry can return to his 2016 form he will be number 1 for a few more years.

Next up for the long haul for best in the world are Davis and Leonard. I have always been high on Leonard and he keeps improving every year. He was already the best two way player in basketball last year and if he continues to improve he can solidify himself as the best player in the league. Davis is a no brainer, he is the most talented player in the league. He is going to put it all together pretty soon and hopefully find some better teammates too. If that happens he will be the best player in the league.

warriorfan
10-29-2016, 04:26 PM

LeBron only was maybe better than Kobe in 09, and it was still close. Kobe was more clutch and a better leader. People try to act like a team of Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, and Derek Fisher trying to sleep with everyones wife is going to be a naturally cohesive unit. All of those guys are big time headcases and cancers whom none of them didn't do anything without Kobe. If you put LeBron on that team it would of been a train wreck. He was talented and young but wasn't a leader of men like Kobe was at that point.

Rocketswin2013
10-29-2016, 04:27 PM
i actually miss curry with his own team. especially the curry without kerr. no one powerful enough to tell him to stop chucking and being super aggressive.

i think he would still be well in these talks if kd didn't go over.

but it's too hard to tell for me. i need more games to watch on all these guys. guys are in peak health coming out of the off-season, with a lot to prove(Leonard, Davis WB), kind of like curry last year. lets see how things are by december.

warriorfan
10-29-2016, 04:30 PM
i actually miss curry with his own team. especially the curry without kerr. no one powerful enough to tell him to stop chucking and being super aggressive.

i think he would still be well in these talks if kd didn't go over.

but it's too hard to tell for me. i need more games to watch on all these guys. guys are in peak health coming out of the off-season, with a lot to prove(Leonard, Davis WB), kind of like curry last year. lets see how things are by december.
Yes. Curry with Walton was amazing. When Kerr the meddler came back he ****ed it all up.

Orlando Magic
10-29-2016, 04:31 PM
LeBron only was maybe better than Kobe in 09, and it was still close. Kobe was more clutch and a better leader. People try to act like a team of Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, and Derek Fisher trying to sleep with everyones wife is going to be a naturally cohesive unit. All of those guys are big time headcases and cancers whom none of them didn't do anything without Kobe. If you put LeBron on that team it would of been a train wreck. He was talented and young but wasn't a leader of men like Kobe was at that point.

You think Kobe takes the Cavs to the Finals in 07?

I know the East sucked. No argument there. But look at the roster. No way.

Kobe is an indisputably better scorer than LeBron. Anyone that argues in favor of LeBron because of FG% hasn't watched a day of basketball in their life. But that's where it ends.

LeBron is a better leader. LeBron is a better passer. LeBron is a better rebounder. LeBron is a better help defender and man defender except for the rare instances in the past that Kobe was out to prove a point and make himself look good against big 1 on 1 matchups on the national stage.

Kobe is a better shooter and scorer.

LeBron's entire skillset is so much more conducive to creating a successful team it's not even funny.

I would honestly argue that LeBron has been better than Kobe since 2005 but I know that nobody is going to agree so I'm not going to argue it. Point being that there's no way in hell it lasted until 2010 for LeBron to surpass Kobe. No way.

SummrtimeEmbiid
10-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Jojo Embiid.....clearly. First 37 minutes of his career: 34 points, 9 rebounds & 4 blocks. Mans the middle, soft touch, quick on his feet, hits threes & fabulous instincts that grow greater & greater by the game (witnessed this at KU). Never seen a player soak up game like Jojo, just an all around natural.

I'm calling it now: Wilt 2.0. He, AD, & KAT are bout to lead the Big Man Renaissance & will each be MVP's at some point but I think Embiid's personality + appealing game will leave him as the BMR's official face.

..........if healthy

Orlando Magic
10-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Jojo Embiid.....clearly. First 37 minutes of his career: 34 points, 9 rebounds & 4 blocks. Mans the middle, soft touch, quick on his feet, hits threes & fabulous instincts that grow greater & greater by the game (witnessed this at KU). Never seen a player soak up game like Jojo, just an all around natural.

I'm calling it now: Wilt 2.0. He, AD, & KAT are bout to lead the Big Man Renaissance & will each be MVP's at some point but I think Embiid's personality + appealing game will leave him as the BMR's official face.

..........if healthy

Shaq dominated the **** out of the league from day 1.

Wilt's "legacy" is greater than Shaq's.

Embiid isn't touching Shaq.

Embiid isn't Wilt 2.0.

ScalsFan21
10-29-2016, 04:41 PM
To me the answer to this really depends on WHEN LeBron falls out of the #1 spot. If that time is almost here, then I'm going with Curry. If it's a few years down the road, maybe Kawhi. The King's got this through 2018-19 doe.

I highly doubt that the consensus BITW (in terms of actual game impact) will be a big man again, at least in the foreseeable future. And Davis of course has the added drawback of being one of the most injury-prone players in sports. Gotta give him credit for one thing though, to play his whole career until this year with a torn shoulder labrum... that takes toughness. This is the first time since stretches from his rookie year where he's been at 100%.

Mr Feeny
10-29-2016, 04:41 PM

Lebron surpassed Kobe by the 2008 season. He's been better than Kobe for the last 9 years (up till Kobe's retirement).

aj1987
10-29-2016, 05:05 PM
:roll: :roll:

Kobe in the clutch in '09:

https://s12.postimg.org/s1dw3a2z1/Screen_Shot_2016_10_29_at_5_03_15_PM.png

LeBron in the clutch in '09:

https://s12.postimg.org/7iizy7p1p/Screen_Shot_2016_10_29_at_5_03_34_PM.png