PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie vs Curry, a closer analysis

egokiller
10-31-2016, 05:38 PM
It's clear who the better player is.

Kyrie can stop Curry while scoring at will on him.
Curry cannot stop Kyrie, and will get his, but will also be denied a considerable amount of times.

This video is a compilation of their match ups. Curry litterally has no argument. It's only going to get worse from here as Curry gets older and kyrie approaches his prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdudfIEFFs

ScalsFan21
10-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Kyrie has made Steph look silly plenty (and yeah, he does seem to have his number somewhat), but head-to-head play is far from the only indicator of who the better player is.

egokiller
10-31-2016, 05:57 PM
Kyrie has made Steph look silly plenty (and yeah, he does seem to have his number somewhat), but head-to-head play is far from the only indicator of who the better player is.

It's the only indicator that really matters when we both know that it will be GSW vs Cavs in the finals.

Smoke117
10-31-2016, 06:01 PM

This.

bizil
10-31-2016, 06:06 PM
At this point, Curry is the better player! Steph is a better passer and he's the best shooter of all time. BUT Kyrie has a better scoring skillset and can score just as good! Kyrie is more physical going to the rack, utilizes the midrange game more, and he has arguably the best handles of all time. But Kyrie is ONLY 24 and has gone though his share of injuries. AND YET he's still a dominant PG. So ONE DAY, Kyrie could possibly be seen as the superior player. But when it comes to combining shooting, handles, and passing as package, Steph is the Bret Hart of NBA! The Excellence of Execution!

egokiller
10-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Kyrie doesn't throw stupid behind the back passes that result in turnovers in the finals tho.

scm5
10-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Curry is the better team player. He's better off-ball and makes everything easier when he's on the court because he's so dangerous. More spacing, more wins just from being on the court.

Kyrie is the better iso player for sure. It depends on what you need.

moongaze
10-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I've been watching a lot of Kyrie for the past two years. He can get a little better at scoring IQ. Meaning knowing how to still score when his shot is off. There are times he falls in love with his outside shot and when it's not going in he becomes more hesitant and loses confidence. He should drive to the basket more. This is just nitpicking because he is one of the best scorers in the league .

ScalsFan21
10-31-2016, 06:26 PM
I've been watching a lot of Kyrie for the past two years. He can get a little better at scoring IQ. Meaning knowing how to still score when his shot is off. There are times he falls in love with his outside shot and when it's not going in he becomes more hesitant and loses confidence. He should drive to the basket more. This is just nitpicking because he is one of the best scorers in the league .

Notice the same thing. But actually IIRC prior to last season when he was still hurt, he made a few comments hinting that he would stop driving as much and avoiding unnecessary physical contact. It's probably smart; he still has the skills to get into the lane, but during the regular season (and really, the first three rounds in his situation :lol ) there's just no point other than to do it just enough to keep defenses honest. Staying healthy is #1 so I don't blame him for that as much.

SamuraiSWISH
10-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Kyrie is the better all around scorer, and individual ISO talent.

Curry yet still has more impact on that end due to being the best shooter ever, the gravity it creates and being a better passer.

When locked in they're about equal defensively. Slightly above average. But on average they both aren't good, and need to be hidden.

Curry has been at his prime for the past 3 years and his peak was last year. He's the better player as of now because of his gravity even without his hands on the ball.

But Kyrie is still young and improving.

In a total 1v1 setting, Kyrie has consistently out performed Curry however. And that's indisputable.

egokiller
10-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Let me put this candy down while there's a break from the kids ringing the door bell...

What better way to measure the impact of both players than by their individual performances in the finals.

This year Kyrie will be even more experienced come finals time.

Curry will be coming back with something to prove, but it won't be enough I don't think.

If both are healthy, it's going to be a BLOODBATH with Kyrie absolutely destroying Curry.

tpols
10-31-2016, 06:58 PM

Curry yet still has more impact on that end due to being the best shooter ever, the gravity it creates and being a better passer.

When locked in they're about equal defensively. Slightly above average. But on average they both aren't good, and need to be hidden.

Curry has been at his prime for the past 3 years and his peak was last year. He's the better player as of now because of his gravity even without his hands on the ball.

In a total 1v1 setting, Kyrie has consistently out performed Curry however. And that's indisputable.

the thing is kyrie is probably just as good a long range shooter, he just opts to attack more.. only thing curry has on him is slightly better defense, and a more balanced playmaking / scoring skillset.

miggyme1
10-31-2016, 07:29 PM
kyrie is a glorified drew league player.......greta player...hall of famer...but he wont win you a ring by himself and we will see that once LeBron hangs them up. curry on the other hand is what grant hill was,penny hardaway etc. uber talented dudes that were flashy but somehow always managed to put the team first and elevated guys...barring injuries both guys would have led teams deep into the playoffs an dpossibly led team to ships

egokiller
10-31-2016, 07:35 PM
If kyrie is doing all this at 24, I don't even want to know how good he's going to be once Lebron hangs them up.... It just sounds scary.

scm5
10-31-2016, 07:47 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&hint=Stephen+Curry&player_id1_select=Stephen+Curry&player_id1=curryst01&hint=Kyrie+Irving&player_id2_select=Kyrie+Irving&player_id2=irvinky01

It is definitely disputable.

Curry consistently out performs Kyrie every single time they have matched up EXCEPT for the finals last season where Curry was coming back from his MCL sprain.

Curry was definitely healthy enough to play, but if you watched the finals at all you would know he wasn't 100%.

CTbasketball92
10-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Love Kyrie and he's definitely the most complete scorer I've seen, but IMO, he'd have to average 30 ppg on 60 TS or better to be in the convo. His efficiency is really good and he's very complete, but before last year's playoffs, I don;t think he ever averaged 25+ points for over a month. Curry's done it for a year. Skillset is nice, but you've got to have the raw counting numbers to be a better scorer than Curry, when that's the one thing you're great at. I think Kyrie's inability to get to the freethrow line 3-4 times a game prevents him from getting elite scoring numbers, because if you look at his field goals, he's been getting nearly as many made as harden on better efficiency. Difference is at the line. That's why when Kyrie's shots off he'll generally be done as a scorer, whereas Harden will get like 15 freethrows and whatnot cuz hes a 6'5" linebacker. Kyrie is a solid 6'3" with great strength, so id like to see him at the line more .. but then again, want him to be healthy too. Either way, Let Kyrie average over 27 ppg on over 58 TS% and this will be a slightly more viable comparison.

With that said, I've always said Kyrie would outplay steph or play at the same level in a playoff matchup. He's a PG with Kobe Bryant iso moves and MJ-like midrange efficiency and the GOAT handle. Curry isnt that, and no one can stop Kyrie.

Curry is also an above average passer and a better defender as well.

RedBlackAttack
10-31-2016, 09:53 PM
People say things like "head-to-head matchups don't matter much," and I might tend to agree with them if we are talking about the regular season. Sure, it counts for something when you consistently outplay another guy, but there are variables involved that don't always get recognized. Was one guy on the second night of a back-to-back? Had he come off of great performances in previous games and thus due to come back down to earth? Were his teammates up to par? Etc.

But, we are talking about going head-to-head in the NBA Finals, here. This isn't some random game in March. These are games that we wait the whole season for. The whole reason you play those games from October through May is to get a chance to show what you have on the biggest stage.

And, both teams have the same amount of rest, the same time to gameplan, etc.

The variables that can help sway regular season matchups don't exist on that level of basketball.

And, when a guy consistently out-performs his opponent on that stage? Yeah, it counts for a hell of a lot more than any other game possibly could.

These two guys have now played eight Finals games against one another, and Irving has clearly out-played Curry in at least five of the eight, with the other three being close enough that there wasn't a clear winner.

That is amazing when you're talking about a 23-year-old going up against the MVP of the league.

moongaze
10-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Notice the same thing. But actually IIRC prior to last season when he was still hurt, he made a few comments hinting that he would stop driving as much and avoiding unnecessary physical contact. It's probably smart; he still has the skills to get into the lane, but during the regular season (and really, the first three rounds in his situation :lol ) there's just no point other than to do it just enough to keep defenses honest. Staying healthy is #1 so I don't blame him for that as much.

I saw where he said that, Also. It makes sense. Is still like to see him work on drawing contact and getting to the line more. Kyrie would be a legit superstar if he could get to the free throw line more. His scoring average would increase by a few points. He doesn't get enough free throws. It seemss like he got to the line more pre knee injury

CTbasketball92
10-31-2016, 11:12 PM
I saw where he said that, Also. It makes sense. Is still like to see him work on drawing contact and getting to the line more. Kyrie would be a legit superstar if he could get to the free throw line more. His scoring average would increase by a few points. He doesn't get enough free throws. It seemss like he got to the line more pre knee injury

The sample size is too small for this year, but last year he was more or less on his averages, especially during the playoffs. During the finals he shot like five fts a game. So much of Kyrie's "superstar status" has always been about what he's ultimately capable of. He's capable of rising to any level and dominating on any night, but outside of last year's playoffs, he's never put together an incredible stretch of big time scoring. Really looking for him to do that this year. If he doesn't, I think it'd be safe to say we've more or less seen his ceiling -- which is a pretty high one.

Orlando Magic
10-31-2016, 11:17 PM
Anyone actually believe Cleveland would be worse with Curry instead of Irving?

No? Didn't think so.

Case closed.

Curry > Irving.

I admire both greatly and I think Curry has been way the **** overhyped in the past 2 years, but it's clear he's better than Irving.

RRR3
10-31-2016, 11:19 PM
I seriously question your intelligence if you think Kyrie is better than Curry.

Yes he outplayed him in the finals. Jason Terry>LeBron in 2011 by this "logic"

El Gato Negro
11-01-2016, 01:36 AM
If you want to make a fair comparison, 24 year old kyrie and his growing list of awards shits all over Steph at the same age. And it is not even close.

jstern
11-01-2016, 01:50 AM
Last year the Curry comparisons were with players like Michael Jordan, and better than Lebron James. I'm so glad that's over.

FreezingTsmoove
11-01-2016, 01:56 AM
We will see who wins the rematch

iamgine
11-01-2016, 02:39 AM
People say things like "head-to-head matchups don't matter much," and I might tend to agree with them if we are talking about the regular season. Sure, it counts for something when you consistently outplay another guy, but there are variables involved that don't always get recognized. Was one guy on the second night of a back-to-back? Had he come off of great performances in previous games and thus due to come back down to earth? Were his teammates up to par? Etc.

But, we are talking about going head-to-head in the NBA Finals, here. This isn't some random game in March. These are games that we wait the whole season for. The whole reason you play those games from October through May is to get a chance to show what you have on the biggest stage.

And, both teams have the same amount of rest, the same time to gameplan, etc.

The variables that can help sway regular season matchups don't exist on that level of basketball.

And, when a guy consistently out-performs his opponent on that stage? Yeah, it counts for a hell of a lot more than any other game possibly could.

These two guys have now played eight Finals games against one another, and Irving has clearly out-played Curry in at least five of the eight, with the other three being close enough that there wasn't a clear winner.

That is amazing when you're talking about a 23-year-old going up against the MVP of the league.
Sometimes it's just a bad matchup tho. iirc, Deron always got the better of CP3 back then. But clearly no one would think that Deron was the better player.

Also, it could be argued that Curry was limited. Even if not, he played uncharacteristically horrible, fumbling passes and missing shots he normally makes. And I'm not sure it's Kyrie's doing.

GimmeThat
11-01-2016, 02:47 AM
I once said that Jeremy Lin isn't a championship caliber starting PG, and I know that he holds that quite closely to heart against me

the question really becomes, what players do Kyrie or Curry make them look like bench players, or reversal, bench players who appear to be starter like quality

sure, this is when the greats, and going back 2-3 years, comments of Lebron comes to mind, a player who can't play with other greats/all stars, one who diminishes their impact.

with that said, Curry is the current record holder of NBA 3 pointers if I'm not mistaken. He breaks a few more 3 point record now with Durant on his team, and I suppose OP might have to give respect to where respect is due.

Curry is a bit too young to just have such a drop off in ability to get open for 3's now that his team just improved, wouldn't you say.

bizil
11-01-2016, 03:10 AM
Curry, Irving, and Lillard are ALL EPIC blends of shooting and handles. They are similar in that way. YET they are also different from each other. Curry is the best floor general and shooter. Kyrie has the best handles and scoring skillset. Lillard is the most athletic and would be the one that finishes in traffic with some sick dunks.

The KEY with Steph is how he opens up the game! He makes his teammates better than Irving and Lillard. When Irving and Lillard match up with Steph (defending him and vice versa the majority of the game), SURE they can win that particular battle. Irving 's scoring skillset CAN BE the most UNPREDICTABLE in the league. Cause he's basically GREAT at every facet of scoring for his size. And utilizes ALL of those weapons!

BUT what gives Steph THE EDGE on those guys is being the greatest shooter of all time AND his passing ability. ITS NOT ABOUT the scoring or 1on1 shit in comparison to Lillard and Irving. In other words, Steph's IMPACT on the game is greater than Irving. And IMPACT is the NUMBER ONE THING u judge the greats by.

antonAC
11-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Curry is clearly the better player.

My argument is I watch basketball and have eyes.

moongaze
11-01-2016, 08:50 AM
The sample size is too small for this year, but last year he was more or less on his averages, especially during the playoffs. During the finals he shot like five fts a game. So much of Kyrie's "superstar status" has always been about what he's ultimately capable of. He's capable of rising to any level and dominating on any night, but outside of last year's playoffs, he's never put together an incredible stretch of big time scoring. Really looking for him to do that this year. If he doesn't, I think it'd be safe to say we've more or less seen his ceiling -- which is a pretty high one.

Last year was the lowest free throws attempted for him. It was similar to his first year, his lowest, after 3 years of being close to 5 attempts per game . Last years playoffs would have been second lowest free throws attempted per game if you just look at his years pre knee injury. I know he has a good stretch scoring and shooting for 10 games or so last year. He had good stretches in the 2014-2015 season. One where he scored 37+ twice and had that big 55 point out against Portland.

Jasper
11-01-2016, 10:16 AM
It's clear who the better player is.

Kyrie can stop Curry while scoring at will on him.
Curry cannot stop Kyrie, and will get his, but will also be denied a considerable amount of times.

This video is a compilation of their match ups. Curry litterally has no argument. It's only going to get worse from here as Curry gets older and kyrie approaches his prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdudfIEFFs

Vid shows Erving owns Curry.

Curry is the prototypical NBA wing player in a PG position that is average defender, but hones his career not by passing , but shooting long range shoots - hero ball.
If Curry worked on his defense , and would be a stopper , I myself could not deny him a top 10 in our current NBA.
Kyrie has a much better out look / Curry looks like the prototypical HERO baller.

RedBlackAttack
11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I seriously question your intelligence if you think Kyrie is better than Curry.

Yes he outplayed him in the finals. Jason Terry>LeBron in 2011 by this "logic"
That's a silly comparison. LeBron and Jason Terry don't play the same position and were rarely matched with one another, if ever.

If Curry had come into the league at 23 and immediately started outplaying CP3 in the WCF, that would be comparable to what Kyrie has done to Steph.

Also, for those saying it is just a "bad matchup," Kyrie outplayed every PG he went up against in the playoffs and was unarguably, imo, the second best player in last year's playoffs. His numbers and big shot after big shot speak for themselves.

People are so apprehensive about praising him for it.

CTbasketball92
11-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Last year was the lowest free throws attempted for him. It was similar to his first year, his lowest, after 3 years of being close to 5 attempts per game . Last years playoffs would have been second lowest free throws attempted per game if you just look at his years pre knee injury. I know he has a good stretch scoring and shooting for 10 games or so last year. He had good stretches in the 2014-2015 season. One where he scored 37+ twice and had that big 55 point out against Portland.

Yeah, I don't think he's going to drive to the rim much anymore. That's sad, so entertaining to watch him do it. He's had good stretches as a scorer, but never like ... truly elite. Kobe scored 40 points in nine straight games (!) and Gilbert Arenas was ballin' out of control back in 2006. I think Kyrie should have his best scoring season this year, though im not sure how he'll do it. His increased usage rate should remain and I have a feeling he'll take more threes. He should, I could definitely see him making around three a game.

moongaze
11-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think he's going to drive to the rim much anymore. That's sad, so entertaining to watch him do it. He's had good stretches as a scorer, but never like ... truly elite. Kobe scored 40 points in nine straight games (!) and Gilbert Arenas was ballin' out of control back in 2006. I think Kyrie should have his best scoring season this year, though im not sure how he'll do it. His increased usage rate should remain and I have a feeling he'll take more threes. He should, I could definitely see him making around three a game.
My bad on the typos. Typing on phone sucks at times

PP34Deuce
11-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Curry is a better player. I agree with that.

Kyrie plays bigger at 6 3 though. Seems like he's just stronger physically while still being a very good shooter.

Curry has shooting and overall pg ability.

RedBlackAttack
11-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Curry is a better player. I agree with that.

Kyrie plays bigger at 6 3 though. Seems like he's just stronger physically while still being a very good shooter.

Curry has shooting and overall pg ability.
Kyrie's game goes to another level when the stakes raise. I'd say that is a major difference between them.

Dragonyeuw
11-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Kyrie seems like he can handle the physicality of playoff basketball better, so regardless of Curry being a better player in the general sense, in a head to head playoff matchup Kyrie's going to more than hold his own.

MrFonzworth
11-01-2016, 07:28 PM
It's an Eli-Brady relationship.