PDA

View Full Version : NBA Awards will be revealed on T.V -- After the Playoffs are over

BigKAT
11-02-2016, 02:17 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17949606/nba-announce-award-winners-new-postseason-awards-show

I don't really mind the concept of showing it in a live show, I guess that's fine.
What does bother me somewhat is the 26th of June thing.

That means it will happen after the NBA Finals.

I really liked the narrative of getting MVP early postseason and hoisting it before games and watching how this year's MVP and DOPY and stuff fare in the playoffs.

(Narratives like Harden Vs Curry in the WCF (MVP and 2nd Place)
Or D-Rose Vs Lebron ( 2011, ECF, MVP vs previous one)
Or OKC Vs Memphis 2014 (Will the MVP be eliminated first round?)

Thoughts?

fourkicks44
11-02-2016, 02:33 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17949606/nba-announce-award-winners-new-postseason-awards-show

I don't really mind the concept of showing it in a live show, I guess that's fine.
What does bother me somewhat is the 26th of June thing.

That means it will happen after the NBA Finals.

I really liked the narrative of getting MVP early postseason and hoisting it before games and watching how this year's MVP and DOPY and stuff fare in the playoffs.

(Narratives like Harden Vs Curry in the WCF (MVP and 2nd Place)
Or D-Rose Vs Lebron ( 2011, ECF, MVP vs previous one)
Or OKC Vs Memphis 2014 (Will the MVP be eliminated first round?)

Thoughts?

I agree.

Sorta reminds me of when they decided to replace the dunk contest with that 2ball bullshit.

Hopefully they will scrap this too.

Sounds lame AF.

FreezingTsmoove
11-02-2016, 02:46 AM
If they had done this in the past the history of the nba would look a lot different

Its going to be hard not to pick the finals mvp for the mvp now

I would be against this but after seeing Kobe snubbed for the mvp in 09 and 10 I support this new set up

Smoke117
11-02-2016, 03:06 AM
If they had done this in the past the history of the nba would look a lot different

Its going to be hard not to pick the finals mvp for the mvp now

I would be against this but after seeing Kobe snubbed for the mvp in 09 and 10 I support this new set up

...you understand they are just going to reveal them after playoffs, right? They will still be chosen at the end of the regular season.

FreezingTsmoove
11-02-2016, 03:19 AM
...you understand they are just going to reveal them after playoffs, right? They will still be chosen at the end of the regular season.

That just doesnt make sense to me. So your saying if this award show happened last year that Curry would have still been the MVP over Bron?

The backlash would have been incredible

The playoffs are obviously going to be a huge factor for these awards now

Smoke117
11-02-2016, 03:23 AM
That just doesnt make sense to me. So your saying if this award show happened last year that Curry would have still been the MVP over Bron?

The backlash would have been incredible

The playoffs are obviously going to be a huge factor for these awards now

The playoffs have no bearing on the awards...this is just when they are going to be revealed which is why it's so goddamn stupid. Nobody wants to wait that long to find out who the winners are.

Nuff Said
11-02-2016, 05:33 AM
I don't believe the voting will be done before playoffs. Where's the proof? If true, what's the point?

L.Kizzle
11-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Isn't this the players awards, different from the league awards.
Harden was voted by the players the first year Steph won it.

guy
11-02-2016, 11:12 AM
What a terrible idea. So these repetitive constant MVP debates are going to be dragged out for another month and a half? And is anyone really going to give a shit about this stuff when the CF and Finals are going on?

tmacattack33
11-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Very pointless. Unless they make a new award called Playoff MVP.

raprap
11-02-2016, 11:37 AM
That sucks

Lord P
11-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Thats just turrible.

Kblaze8855
11-02-2016, 11:42 AM
2008, 2005, and 2003 are the only recent years we didnt all know who was winning MVP before the season ended anyway. Nobody was wondering who would get it last year....just if it would be undisputed.

Its still nice to have it during the playoffs though.

MMM
11-02-2016, 12:49 PM
i like the idea of an award show if done right it will keep people interested in the league after the finals and before the draft. I think the NHL does a similar type thing

BigKAT
11-02-2016, 01:21 PM
2008, 2005, and 2003 are the only recent years we didnt all know who was winning MVP before the season ended anyway. Nobody was wondering who would get it last year....just if it would be undisputed.

Its still nice to have it during the playoffs though.

I dunno, friend.

It seems like 2015 was awfully close as well. And while 2014 wasn't -THAT- close it could've still gone either way depending on the last 10 games and the way it went back and forth.

kshutts1
11-02-2016, 01:36 PM
As others have mentioned, if the voting is still done after the season but before the playoffs, then I do not understand this change, nor do I like it.

Now if the NBA wants to get some must-watch-tv to bump up ratings...
Have the VOTING done on live TV. Have all 100+ media members in one room, and do write-in votes (so that they can not be swayed by their peers). Each vote would have the name of the voter attached to it as well, so the individual voters can be interviewed on the "why" behind their votes. I would watch that.

1manfastbreak
11-02-2016, 02:36 PM
http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dirk2.jpg

That's really too bad.. who can forget sad Dirk receiving his MVP trophy days after getting bounced from the 2007 Playoffs from the We Believe Warriors?

BigKAT
11-02-2016, 02:47 PM
As others have mentioned, if the voting is still done after the season but before the playoffs, then I do not understand this change, nor do I like it.

Now if the NBA wants to get some must-watch-tv to bump up ratings...
Have the VOTING done on live TV. Have all 100+ media members in one room, and do write-in votes (so that they can not be swayed by their peers). Each vote would have the name of the voter attached to it as well, so the individual voters can be interviewed on the "why" behind their votes. I would watch that.

That's a great idea actually.
But having all 100 media members in the same room is a bit hard, as they are from all over the state.
Maybe you could just have them vote simultaniously, some being in attendance and others casting their ballots via other communications.

I like the interviews thing.

kshutts1
11-03-2016, 12:40 PM
That's a great idea actually.
But having all 100 media members in the same room is a bit hard, as they are from all over the state.
Maybe you could just have them vote simultaniously, some being in attendance and others casting their ballots via other communications.

I like the interviews thing.
If they want the honor and notoriety of voting for awards in a professional league, then they will make it.