PDA

View Full Version : Joel Embiid. Meeting expectations? Exceeding? Discuss.

oarabbus
11-02-2016, 02:39 AM
Sky is the limit if he stays healthy

JohnMax
11-02-2016, 03:46 AM
exceeding

bobopenguin
11-02-2016, 03:47 AM
i was expecting 8pts and 4rbs..

he really showed up.

Inferno
11-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Definitely exceeding. Hope he stays healthy

sunnyboy91
11-02-2016, 04:40 AM
Meeting expectations (I had huge expectation of him).
Huge work in progress though. He needs to be more aware offensively and needs to work on his footwork. He seems wait too long when he gets the ball in the post, and then rush his post moves when he gets into it. Its just rust tbh.
Saric fits well with him as the 4. He needs to be surrounded by better perimeter shooters. Will be interesting when Simmons comes around. By the end of the year he will be a top 3 Centre. In 3 years he will be the best big man in the NBA. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Bankaii
11-02-2016, 05:03 AM
For it being his first 3-4 games of competitive ball in like 2 years he's definitely exceeding.
Dude is showing far more skill in the mid range/post than most other centers today. All while being able to hit free throws and showing glimpses of a legit 3 ball (although he'll get too comfortable settling for it).
Defensively he looks like he could grow into a solid rim protector/anchor.

The only thing really off is his awareness. He looks absolute lost when he gets doubled and it's almost always a turnover.

Lebron23
11-02-2016, 06:24 AM
Exceeding. I hope he stays healthy.

sixerfan82
11-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Definitely exceeding expectations.

He's healthy, he's playing competitively and like he trusts his body, which is good. He's putting up good numbers and is proud to be in Philly.

can't wait to get simmons back and watch these guys play together.

oarabbus
11-02-2016, 03:32 PM
His post moves are a breath of fresh air. I still worry that Philly has too many bigmen and that they may focus on Simmons at Embiid's expense.

Captvic
11-02-2016, 03:43 PM
He's pretty darn good

J Shuttlesworth
11-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Are they still trying to tank?

dirkdiggler41
11-02-2016, 04:06 PM
exceeding

Ca$H
11-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Exceeding. I hope he stays healthy.

He will definitely surpass Bran if he can stay healthy.

Bosnian Sajo
11-02-2016, 04:36 PM
He's averaging 17ppg/6rpg/3bpg in 21 minutes.

That's crazy. :lol

Gougou
11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Do you guys think 76ers will trade way Okafor and Noel?

Bosnian Sajo
11-02-2016, 04:53 PM

There is no more need for Okafor (and it looks like his value has plummeted), Noel however could still have a place on the team as the starting 4/backup 5.

Dave3
11-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Wanted to post about this during yesterday's game. He looks ridiculous. He's getting 24 minutes and doing so much in them. Yesterday he had 3 blocks in the first quarter alone and still got a double double in his limited minutes. HE's so mobile yet at the same time so strong. He was shoving Vucevic around yesterday like he was a small forward, yet he's so agile and has pretty good ball control for such a big guy.

If he stays durable he can be the next great big man.

sunnyboy91
11-03-2016, 01:07 AM
They should trade both. Stick with Embiid and Holmes. Why did they trade for Ersan Ilyasova? They dont need more 5s, they just need young 1-4s who can shoot and play a 1-in-4-out offense to compliment Embiids post game.

I would try to go after someone like Tyler Johnson if I were them. Right now, their roster is awful outside of Embiid, Saric, Simmons and Rodriguez (at least he's a capable pg). Keep Holmes too as a backup 5. =

sunnyboy91
11-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Wanted to post about this during yesterday's game. He looks ridiculous. He's getting 24 minutes and doing so much in them. Yesterday he had 3 blocks in the first quarter alone and still got a double double in his limited minutes. HE's so mobile yet at the same time so strong. He was shoving Vucevic around yesterday like he was a small forward, yet he's so agile and has pretty good ball control for such a big guy.

He looks like a future DPOY candidate at the least. I cant wait to see him with a better roster and once he develops more and shakes off his rust.

fourkicks44
11-03-2016, 09:31 AM
There is no more need for Okafor (and it looks like his value has plummeted), Noel however could still have a place on the team as the starting 4/backup 5.

Completely wrong.

Firstly it is Noel that is not needed, Holmes can essentially perform his role and is better on offense. The big man line up for the Sixers' future should/will be Saric, Holmes, Okafor and Embiid.

Expect Noel to be traded once he is healthy. His contract is up soon and there are plenty of teams that require a player like Nerlens (Looking at you Boston, and you already had your chance to get him and f#cked it up).

Embiid and Okafor are the ultimate tandem. Minute restrictions have limited their time together on court. Brett Brown has expressed his excitement in having them both on court at the same time, but also does not want this as a regularly rotation yet (I assume he is cautious of injuries and/or has been told this from above).

However, circumstances have come up thus far where we have seen glimpses of how it can work. Okafor plays the the 'tradtional' 5, while Embiid uses his length and speed to stretch out to the perimeter, but also his athleticism to protect the rim.

Watch the footage of how devastating this can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoMJrCA-rM

This is also only an example of defense. The prospect of these two both on the offensive is just as attractive. We all know how effective Okafor is in the post, but now we also know a lot more about how dangerous Jojo is on offense. He has a fadeaway (unstoppable at his height), a three point shot plus he can take his man (smaller opponents too) of the dribble to the rack. This means he can space the floor more and open the lane up for Okafor.

You can see the possibilities. The Sixers' organisation is full of surprises but I don't think Jahlil is going anywhere at the moment.

Trust the process.

FKAri
11-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Completely wrong.

Firstly it is Noel that is not needed, Holmes can essentially perform his role and is better on offense. The big man line up for the Sixers' future should/will be Saric, Holmes, Okafor and Embiid.

Expect Noel to be traded once he is healthy. His contract is up soon and there are plenty of teams that require a player like Nerlens (Looking at you Boston, and you already had your chance to get him and f#cked it up).

Embiid and Okafor are the ultimate tandem. Minute restrictions have limited their time together on court. Brett Brown has expressed his excitement in having them both on court at the same time, but also does not want this as a regularly rotation yet (I assume he is cautious of injuries and/or has been told this from above).

However, circumstances have come up thus far where we have seen glimpses of how it can work. Okafor plays the the 'tradtional' 5, while Embiid uses his length and speed to stretch out to the perimeter, but also his athleticism to protect the rim.

Watch the footage of how devastating this can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoMJrCA-rM

This is also only an example of defense. The prospect of these two both on the offensive is just as attractive. We all know how effective Okafor is in the post, but now we also know a lot more about how dangerous Jojo is on offense. He has a fadeaway (unstoppable at his height), a three point shot plus he can take his man (smaller opponents too) of the dribble to the rack. This means he can space the floor more and open the lane up for Okafor.

You can see the possibilities. The Sixers' organisation is full of surprises but I don't think Jahlil is going anywhere at the moment.

Trust the process.
Embiid will get destroyed on the perimeter by stretch 4's. Not only will he not be able to guard them out there, he will also be pulled away from the paint preventing him from protecting the rim. In the gif you used he had basically completely abandoned his man. This is not something that can work consistently.

oarabbus
11-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Embiid will get destroyed on the perimeter by stretch 4's. Not only will he not be able to guard them out there, he will also be pulled away from the paint preventing him from protecting the rim. In the gif you used he had basically completely abandoned his man. This is not something that can work consistently.

I mean sure, Embiid will have trouble guarding a guy like Kevin Love on the perimeter. But I'm not worried about him guarding Marcus Morris.

MrFonzworth
11-03-2016, 08:05 PM
I mean sure, Embiid will have trouble guarding a guy like Kevin Love on the perimeter. But I'm not worried about him guarding Marcus Morris.

Yes, Embiid is capable of guarding most NBA 4s, but I don't want to see him wasting his energy closing out on shooters. He should be primarily an interior defender so his inside/outside game on offense can be as effective as possible.

I do like Jahlil more, but Philly should trade him rather than Noel.

sunnyboy91
11-03-2016, 08:34 PM
It would be stupid to have a lineup of Okafor and Embiid. You cant just use Embiid on the perimeter. That completely negates his biggest advantage (post moves). Same for Okafor. If they both try to play on the inside, the paint will be WAY too clogged. Also, Simmons cant shoot jumpers yet, there will be massive spacing problems.
Also defensively, Okafor cant check stretch 4s, and Embiid is a rim protector. Why put him on the perimeter on defense guarding stretch 4s.

They need to play a 1-in-4-out offense, playing to everyones strengths, which is having enough space in the post for Embiid to go to work, and if he gets doubled, he can kick it out to shooters/slashers (Dario is the perfect 4 for this offense).

Just get rid of Okafor and Noel. Noel is leaving anyway (he wont sign an extension, and they have 5 Centres on their roster. I have a hunch that he actually wants to play some minutes in the NBA), and Okafor wont be happy in a bench role, because he and Embiid will fail on the court together.

Dave3
11-03-2016, 11:42 PM
He looks like a future DPOY candidate at the least. I cant wait to see him with a better roster and once he develops more and shakes off his rust.
And isn't limited to 20 minutes a night. I've gotta admit though, I'm always afraid he might get hurt while watching him but if he's durable and is able to get up to 36 minutes a game, he's going to put up some great numbers.

ClipperRevival
11-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Definitely got that Hakeem type fluidity. His ceiling is ultra high for sure if he maxes out. He could almost be transcendent in that scenario. Sky's the limit.

And his body from his Kansas days is like night and day. I didn't know he had it in him to bulk up that much.

Annyong!
11-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Clearly exceeding. If he hadn't missed 2 seasons, then this is what I expected, but I was expecting Oden level of return.

Meticode
11-04-2016, 11:15 AM
He's exceeding mine. I didn't think he would look this good right out of the gate. If he can stay healthy he would be the steal of the draft...from two years ago.