PDA

View Full Version : Curry Doesn't Look Like The Same Guy

BeastMode24
11-05-2016, 03:05 AM
he seems way more hesitant and less willing to take guys off the dribble. I don't know if he still hasn't fully recovered from the MCL Injury or what but he doesn't look like the same guy that was torching the league last season.

Flower_
11-05-2016, 03:17 AM
What MCL INJURY. It's a myth. Kyrie just broke him. UMVP my ass.

warriorfan
11-05-2016, 03:23 AM

Perhaps the most critical segment of this series came at the end of the third quarter of Game 4, Cleveland cutting the Warriors lead to three. The Q was rocking. The Finals hung in the balance.

Curry calmly called for the ball, shook a defender and drained a three, pushing Golden State to a six-point lead. In a reversal of roles, a gassed LeBron tried to answer with a three of his own at the buzzer, only to miss badly. When James went to the bench to rest at the start of the fourth quarter, the Warriors seized control of the game and the Finals.

Curry finished with 22 that night. He then dropped 37, including 17 in the fourth quarter, in Game 5. On Tuesday, he dropped a couple of massive threes to help stem a fourth-quarter Cleveland surge, then when double-teamed, hit a wide-open Klay Thompson for another.

Not only did Curry average an MVP-like 26 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals in 43 minutes per game, but as Kerr told his point guard, sometimes a point guard has to put his own game now in favor of managing the game for his teammates.

That is what Curry relayed when he said in the postgame press conference, "The Finals are not that different from normal NBA games. It's just the spotlight is different, and soar are the expectations. When you have an average game, you find out in the Finals that people were expecting more. But really, that stuff doesn't matter. It's all about winning. That's what I've learned. I just need to impact games, be myself every other night, do other things to help my team win and be OK with that. Manage the game from a point-guard standpoint, find a way to win and that's what we did … At the end of the day, stats really don't matter. It really doesn't matter."

This coming from a man who still had 25 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists in 43 minutes from a Game 6 that he was supposedly managing the game for others, downplaying his own role.

This coming from a man who still scored 156 points in a six-game Finals with a .585 true shooting percentage—a scoring total and efficiency only topped by three players in NBA Finals history (who all also did it coincidentally in six-game series): 1992 Michael Jordan, who scored 215 points with a .617 TSP; 2011 Dwyane Wade, who scored 159 points with a .614 TSP; 1987 Magic Johnson, who scored 157 points with a .590 TSP.

They did it with a wizard, Stephen Curry, at point guard. Curry nailed three key threes in Golden State’s 105-97 Game 6 victory in Cleveland Tuesday night, because that’s what he does. In the clincher, however, the regular-season MVP’s passing stood out. He patiently let the Cavs double-team him far from the basket – what choice did the Cavs have against a guy who can sink shots from Cincinnati? – and hit cutters down the lane. Or flipped one-handed passes down low. Or skipped the ball cross-court, or into the corner, to open three-point shooters. Curry had eight assists. Golden State finished with 13 three-pointers.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4bYYPLGiZavZr6odQMT2_61HGAc=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3783750/warriorsball.0.gif

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/55785bd86da811a06574389c/draymond%20miss%201.gif

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/game-3-4.gif

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/557856666bb3f7950ef731a9/stephen%20curry%203.gif

Most 4th Quarter Points during the Finals

1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

2015 Steph Curry had one of the most clutch performance in NBA history. The only player to score more 4th Quarter Finals points than Steph Curry was Shaquille Oneal, and he didn't even score one point more than Curry while Curry scored 14% more efficiently than Shaquille

In the 2016 Finals he was not able to play as well as he did in 2015

What happened in 2016 that didn't happen in 2015? The major MCL injury

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/m_8DziMFB8s/0.jpg

The MCL is one of four ligaments connecting the femur bone to the tibia at the knee. It helps keep the knee stable as it moves from the outside to the inside.

So the lateral movements are going to put pressure on the ligament.

Athletic trainers refer to what’s called a “valgus” position — that’s when the knee is turned inward toward the center of the body, and the MCL stretches to keep the joint stable.

Most people naturally stand in a slight valgus position, meaning they are putting a little pressure on their MCL without even trying. Playing basketball just adds to that stress, especially during quick lateral movements

“That valgus position occurs pretty often in basketball,” said Meredith Petschauer, an exercise and sports science professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, “because what you have to do in basketball all the time is plant your foot and turn in a different direction.”

Curry had a lack of lateral quickness and ability to change direction because of his MCL injury

Here is a clip of healthy Curry showcasing his excellent lateral quickness and change of direction

https://media.giphy.com/media/vJJxhc46rAsnK/giphy.gif
These types of plays were routine for Curry before the MCL injury

The time table for return of an MCL sprain is 2 to 4 weeks.

(Keep in mind that healing timetable is for every day activity, nothing more strenuous than walking up one flight of stairs, NOT playing professional basketball)

Stephen Curry returned from the injury after only 2 weeks because the Warriors were struggling against Portland without him.

Stephen Curry re-aggravated his knee injury by coming back too early and then playing 40+ minutes of playoff basketball plus overtime in his record setting performance against Portland.

Therefore we can conclude that Curry's MCL injury was the differentiating factor which lowered Curry's production

LAZERUSS
11-05-2016, 03:25 AM

Same MYTH that LeCHOKE broke his wrist at the end of game seven of the Finals.

spidey102279
11-05-2016, 03:28 AM
Excuses. He just got destroyed. Live with it. Look how he so scared to go for an open layup this season. First got blocked by Simmons, then missed a layup because he released it quickly maybe wary that somebody will block him agains Suns. He even reversed an open layup earlier to avoid somebody catching up to him and block his shots.

Megabox!
11-05-2016, 03:35 AM
Same MYTH that LeCHOKE broke his wrist at the end of game seven of the Finals.
TBH that myth is a helluva lot more believable than those shitty Wilt myths.

AintNoSunshine
11-05-2016, 04:40 AM
he seems way more hesitant and less willing to take guys off the dribble. I don't know if he still hasn't fully recovered from the MCL Injury or what but he doesn't look like the same guy that was torching the league last season.
:facepalm What MCL injury??

Or do you mean his torn anus inflicted by a Bron/Kyrie DP?

Spurs m8
11-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Excuses. He just got destroyed. Live with it. Look how he so scared to go for an open layup this season. First got blocked by Simmons, then missed a layup because he released it quickly maybe wary that somebody will block him agains Suns. He even reversed an open layup earlier to avoid somebody catching up to him and block his shots.

Good post.

Dudes lost a fair bit of confidence.

aj1987
11-05-2016, 05:13 AM
TBH that myth is a helluva lot more believable than those shitty Wilt myths.
Agreed. :cheers: :cheers: :applause: :applause: :applause:

GimmeThat
11-05-2016, 05:22 AM
he's still fairly young, and there's a pretty long road to go after life with the NBA.

he'll do well on a none contending team baring whatever happened to Mr. Curry

GimmeThat
11-05-2016, 05:32 AM

you're going to tell me, a player can fake and lie about an injury then have no problem performing.

this is not steroids we are talking about here I don't think. unless Mr. Curry had decided somehow at that point in his career, he would be better off living with a MCL injury for the rest of his life/career.

I also certainly wouldn't understand why the media would give him an MVP he didn't deserve. unless you apply that same logic onto the voting party of the media.

retaxis
11-05-2016, 07:36 AM
you're going to tell me, a player can fake and lie about an injury then have no problem performing.

this is not steroids we are talking about here I don't think. unless Mr. Curry had decided somehow at that point in his career, he would be better off living with a MCL injury for the rest of his life/career.

I also certainly wouldn't understand why the media would give him an MVP he didn't deserve. unless you apply that same logic onto the voting party of the media.
No. He is gonna tell you that Curry dodged his chance of olympic gold medal because he couldn't bear to face Kyrie on the Olympics team.

AirBonner
11-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Healing time is 2-4 weeks. It has been 6 months. You guys are pathetic. :facepalm

chosen_wun
11-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Hes still injured fam

paksat
11-05-2016, 08:32 AM
it won't be till 2018 till that mcl recovers

C-Green
11-05-2016, 08:47 AM
How bout he had a sh*tty game.

Durant being on the team and taking over has messed up his head a little bit, but he's healthy. He's actually had some really good games already this year.

Jasper
11-05-2016, 09:29 AM
This is bull shit = he only thinks of his shoot and never sets up an offense.
His label is a PG , I see him bring ball up and look for a shot first at 40 feet, looking to HERO ball even in a losing cause.

He would be the guy 20 points down , make a 3 and act like he shoot the game winning shot. :wtf:

He had 11 dimes = most this season , on all busted plays, or just passing the ball and someone doing all the work.
Value on those 11 dimes would be equal to 3-5 worthy assists(.)

MP.Trey
11-05-2016, 09:31 AM
it won't be till 2018 till that mcl recovers
:oldlol:

sfballa13
11-05-2016, 10:36 AM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4bYYPLGiZavZr6odQMT2_61HGAc=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3783750/warriorsball.0.gif

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/55785bd86da811a06574389c/draymond%20miss%201.gif

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/557856666bb3f7950ef731a9/stephen%20curry%203.gif

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

2015 Steph Curry had one of the most clutch performance in NBA history. The only player to score more 4th Quarter Finals points than Steph Curry was Shaquille Oneal, and he didn't even score one point more than Curry while Curry scored 14% more efficiently than Shaquille

Curry had a lack of lateral quickness and ability to change direction because of his MCL injury

Here is a clip of healthy Curry showcasing his excellent lateral quickness and change of direction

(Keep in mind that healing timetable is for every day activity, nothing more strenuous than walking up one flight of stairs, NOT playing professional basketball)

Stephen Curry returned from the injury after only 2 weeks because the Warriors were struggling against Portland without him.

Stephen Curry re-aggravated his knee injury by coming back too early and then playing 40+ minutes of playoff basketball plus overtime in his record setting performance against Portland.

Therefore we can conclude that Curry's MCL injury was the differentiating factor which lowered Curry's production

3-1 lead

two straight losses at home

choked away the biggest game of Draymond's career, missing shot after shot, throwing the ball away carelessly instead of focusing

but yeh thats all due to his supposed MCL injury

lmfao enjoy your L cuz bc the entire world not just Cleveland is still loving it!

Rocketswin2013
11-05-2016, 11:00 AM
his confidence looks somewhat shot. which is unbelievable.

BeastMode24
11-05-2016, 01:28 PM
his confidence looks somewhat shot. which is unbelievable.

yeah he's not playing with that same killer "swag" he used to. looks like he's overthinking things and overall just being hesitant besides that 3rd quarter at Portland. Guess its part of the adjustment playing with Durant and sharing the #1 scoring role.

RedBlackAttack
11-05-2016, 01:38 PM

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

I thought we agreed that the copypasta would stop? If you want to argue that this "injury" somehow persists, fine ... do it. But for the love of god please stop spamming the board with this same post ... one of about 5 or 6 that you constantly copy and paste.

We all understand your position on this. Is it an OCD thing or what?

moongaze
11-05-2016, 02:43 PM
He doesn't look the same after getting molested by Kyrie

jstern
11-05-2016, 03:03 PM
It sounds like he's really scared. Perhaps traumatized from past experience. Eventually he'll get over it.

nba_55
11-05-2016, 03:16 PM
:facepalm What MCL injury??

Or do you mean his torn anus inflicted by a Bron/Kyrie DP?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jrong
11-05-2016, 03:46 PM
It's sad but predictable to see him like this. Durant is a more versatile and, more importantly, more assertive scorer. Curry is dealing with what Wade dealt with after he handed over the Heat to LeBron.

He's used to having his preferred offensive sets run for him when and where on the court he wants them, and now that's not happening as much. The floor spacing has changed and suddenly he can't get to his sweet spots the way he used to. He begins to force shots. Every possession he uses seems to take on additional urgency because he doesn't get as many any more. He doesn't get to be unfazed by a 2/10 start because then he may not get the ball enough to redeem himself with an 8/10 finish.

In short, his rhythm has been severely disrupted.

Wade managed to adapt to LeBron very well even though it radically limited him as a player. Kyrie probably handles playing with James even better since he's mainly looking to score instead of duplicating James' scoring PG role, as Wade did.

But, whether or not Steph finds a way to thrive in this situation, to me it's just proof that The Decision ruined basketball. None of these players should have ever been teaming up in the first place.

FireDavidKahn
11-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Of course he doesn't, he longer is the #1 option on his team. He is shook beyond belief5