PDA

View Full Version : Is Isaiah Thomas Underrated?

CTbasketball92
11-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Right now he's averaging 26 points 7 assists with a pretty damn good TS%. Is it time that we start mentioning him as a candidate for the Eastern Conference's best point guard?

FreezingTsmoove
11-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Not with that defense

BIG FURB
11-07-2016, 03:57 PM
I don't think he gets the respect he deserves for carrying that team offensively most nights

CTbasketball92
11-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. He's actually an elite scorer, and at least a "good" passer. He scores in every way imaginable, and he's even dropped 40 points in the playoffs before.

antonAC
11-07-2016, 04:19 PM
yes, because his size doesn't actually seem to cause him any set backs yet it's constantly in the back of everyone's mind when assessing him. he finishes around the rim just as consistently as any of the point guards in the league, he's an elite scorer and a very good passer and his defense isn't even any worse than the best offensively minded guards.

the celtics haven't really come together yet but he doesn't seem to be playing above himself so no reason this isn't sustainable.

I had hoped though his 3pt shot would show improvement this year, if he added that he's the best guard in the east.

CTbasketball92
11-07-2016, 04:26 PM
yes, because his size doesn't actually seem to cause him any set backs yet it's constantly in the back of everyone's mind when assessing him. he finishes around the rim just as consistently as any of the point guards in the league, he's an elite scorer and a very good passer and his defense isn't even any worse than the best offensively minded guards.

the celtics haven't really come together yet but he doesn't seem to be playing above himself so no reason this isn't sustainable.

I had hoped though his 3pt shot would show improvement this year, if he added that he's the best guard in the east.

Yeah, I swear it's just the whole idea of being undersized that gets him underrated. He's not really a worse defender than many other point guards, and really, he's not definitely offensively worse than any of them except maybe Curry, Westbrook (Consider westbrook's volume) and Dame (I think he's playing a bit above his head). IF IT keeps this up, he's in my mind a top 6 PG for sure.

Current rankings

1. Curry/Westbrook
2. Westbrook/Curry
3. CP3/James Harden
4. Harden/CP3
5. Dame
6. IT
7. Wall
8. Kyrie
9. Lowry
10. Somone else

So many great PG's this year, though I'd imagine at least a few people are going to drop off/and or rise at some point.

Nick Young
11-07-2016, 04:52 PM
overrated. Horrible defender, low percentage AI Jr. style chucker.

ClipperRevival
11-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Hell yeah he's underrated. Dude is freaken 5'9" without shoes, meaning he's just an average sized guy. And look what he's doing against the best in the world in basketball. The odds of a guy like him making it in the NBA must in like 1 in several hundred million. The way he can break down defenders time and time again, get to the rack and still score over those NBA trees? It's ridiculous.

Height is a HUGE factor in the NBA. The shorter you are, the greater the odds are of you failing. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that out.

theaussieguy
11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Hell yeah he's underrated. Dude is freaken 5'9" without shoes, meaning he's just an average sized guy. And look what he's doing against the best in the world in basketball. The odds of a guy like him making it in the NBA must in like 1 in several hundred million. The way he can break down defenders time and time again, get to the rack and still score over those NBA trees? It's ridiculous.

Height is a HUGE factor in the NBA. The shorter you are, the greater the odds are of you failing. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that out.

he is actually 5'8 without shoes, dude is an absolute freak with a 40 plus inch vert, he also has a huge skillset and a good head on his shoulders.

https://youtu.be/TChB5nLOfLg?t=1m54s

this pullup is so ****ing nasty, the amount of torque his knee has to endure...strong little bastard

Smoke117
11-07-2016, 05:17 PM
No...if anything, I think he's overrated.

tpols
11-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I swear it's just the whole idea of being undersized that gets him underrated. He's not really a worse defender than many other point guards, and really, he's not definitely offensively worse than any of them except maybe Curry, Westbrook (Consider westbrook's volume) and Dame (I think he's playing a bit above his head). IF IT keeps this up, he's in my mind a top 6 PG for sure.

Current rankings

1. Curry/Westbrook
2. Westbrook/Curry
3. CP3/James Harden
4. Harden/CP3
5. Dame
6. IT
7. Wall
8. Kyrie
9. Lowry
10. Somone else

So many great PG's this year, though I'd imagine at least a few people are going to drop off/and or rise at some point.

how can you possibly have isaih thomas above kyrie after what we saw in the playoffs last year? Lowry and Wall just off the eye test are better too imo..

i thought he was just flying under the radar pretty good, but youre overrating him big time. He's a little chucker.. that gets to take a lot of shots on a team with no offensive stars.

pedromarinho
11-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Harden
4. Lillard
5. Kyrie
6. Westbrook
7. Wall
8. Lowry
9. IT

Brodie has stats, yeah, but a team leaded by him would never win. Hurts the team.

CTbasketball92
11-07-2016, 05:56 PM
how can you possibly have isaih thomas above kyrie after what we saw in the playoffs last year? Lowry and Wall just off the eye test are better too imo..

i thought he was just flying under the radar pretty good, but youre overrating him big time. He's a little chucker.. that gets to take a lot of shots on a team with no offensive stars.

Lol i think Kyrie is better, but so far this season, IT has been absolutely elite. Just a six game sample that I do think is fairly sustainable, though Irving has also been really good and will likely step it up a notch soon.

Bankaii
11-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Harden
4. Lillard
5. Kyrie
6. Westbrook
7. Wall
8. Lowry
9. IT

Brodie has stats, yeah, but a team leaded by him would never win. Hurts the team.
There is no way in hell Westbrook is the 5th best PG in the league.
Kyrie>Westbrook is just :roll:
And I'm still not listing Harden as a PG, screw D'antoni

CTbasketball92
11-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
2. CP3
3. Harden
4. Lillard
5. Kyrie
6. Westbrook
7. Wall
8. Lowry
9. IT

If Westbrook were on the Blazers, they'd easily lock up the third seed in the West. Easily.

bdreason
11-07-2016, 06:41 PM
I underrate him. It's just hard for me to get behind a guy his size being a teams 1st option. Especially a team with goals of being a legit playoff threat out East.

bigt
11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
I underrate him. It's just hard for me to get behind a guy his size being a teams 1st option. Especially a team with goals of being a legit playoff threat out East.

This is ultimately my issue with him. He's a tremendous player and doing a tonne for the Celtics right now, but I just can't see a team succeeding when it matters (playoffs) if he's the best player

AirTupac
11-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Too small and garbage on the defensive end. Ship ass out.

antonAC
11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
judging by everyone's lists there needs to be a thread about kemba walker next.

Wally450
11-07-2016, 10:51 PM
I think he's rated pretty fairly. As people have mentioned he is a liability on defense mainly due to his size. But the offense he produces for the Celtics is huge. Unfortunately, I don't think a 5'7 PG can be the first option on a contender. 26/7 isn't bad for a guy his size. When the guys that are currently injured come back, this will be a fun team to watch.