PDA

View Full Version : Where does James Harden rank? Top 10 PGs this season

CuhGetsBucks
11-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Beard is a PG now, so this season only, where does he rank among PGs?
I got it right now as
1) Westbrook
2) Harden
3) Lillard
4) Irving
5) Walker
6) Curry
7) Paul
8) Wall
9) Thomas
10) Hill
I repeat this is just for this season and the 8 maximum games a team has played,I factored in W/L, stats, role on the team and overall impact on the game.

Even though I don't think Westbrook's playstyle is winning play he's obviously the best PG at the moment in this season. Harden is putting up some crazy #s though, idk if they're sustainable but if he manages to do it and the Rockets are a top 5 seed how can you not give it to him? Watching the Rockets play without Harden on the floor is pitiful. No one can create for themselves and it's like watching awkward high schoolers play pick up. We knock him for his defense but he hasn't been that bad this season. (Racking up more steals than Curry) and he's a generational offensive talent. Dude's a beast.

Everyone is sleeping on Kemba, having a great season thus far.

John Wall needs some help, living in this area it almost seems as if Wall hates this place and his team losing when he's accounting for almost 40% of their points isn't helping. He could easily lead a team to a ECF with a consistent wingman or bigman. Beal needs to step it up.

Young X
11-08-2016, 04:55 AM
If it's just for the first 8 games Chris should be no lower than 4th.

And like only 3 of those guys are point guards.

CuhGetsBucks
11-08-2016, 04:57 AM
If it's just for the first 8 games Chris should be no lower than 4th.

And like only 3 of those guys are point guards.
What are they then?

Young X
11-08-2016, 04:58 AM
Shooting guards.

CuhGetsBucks
11-08-2016, 04:59 AM
Shooting guards.
Im sharp, Harden the best SG in the league and second best PG, aint that some shit?:cheers:

FreezingTsmoove
11-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Shooting guards.

James plays exactly like a PG

Smoke117
11-08-2016, 03:18 PM
The only PG's that actually play like a PG these days are Chris Paul, John Wall, Rajon Rondo, Rubio, and a couple more. James Harden is a SG playing pg like Lillard, Irving, Thomas are pg's playing sg. My point being that's clear as day he's not a natural PG like those four I named up there.

CuhGetsBucks
11-08-2016, 03:36 PM
The only PG's that actually play like a PG these days are Chris Paul, John Wall, Rajon Rondo, Rubio, and a couple more. James Harden is a SG playing pg like Lillard, Irving, Thomas are pg's playing sg. My point being that's clear as day he's not a natural PG like those four I named up there.
"The positions were made just to teach a novice how to play the game, just because you're a PG doesn't mean you're a playmaker and just because you're a 2 doesn't mean you're skilled to run around chucking up 3s"

It's 2016, I think it's clear as day that just because you're a 1 doesn't mean you have to have a playmaking, pass first mentality.

Smoke117
11-08-2016, 03:40 PM
"The positions were made just to teach a novice how to play the game, just because you're a PG doesn't mean you're a playmaker and just because you're a 2 doesn't mean you're skilled to run around chucking up 3s"

It's 2016, I think it's clear as day that just because you're a 1 doesn't mean you have to have a playmaking, pass first mentality.

It's the rule changes that made all these little guys scorers...you can't play any physical defense anymore which has allowed them to flourish in scoring roles. Now we're seeing more forwards with playmaking roles like Draymond, Giannis, Griffin, and Batum.

TommyGriffin
11-08-2016, 03:45 PM

James Harden will finish the year averaging more APG than Chris Paul.

CuhGetsBucks
11-08-2016, 04:18 PM
It's the rule changes that made all these little guys scorers...you can't play any physical defense anymore which has allowed them to flourish in scoring roles. Now we're seeing more forwards with playmaking roles like Draymond, Giannis, Griffin, and Batum.
So how does that change the fact that they are still point guards??

FreezingTsmoove
11-08-2016, 04:26 PM

I wouldnt put Harden in the same category as Lillard Irving Thomas they are all definitely undersized SGs

Harden reminds me of a CG, combo guard

bizil
11-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Thus far, Harden has been the LEGIT PG for Houston. He's playing with a true SG (Gordon) and a true SF (Ariza) on the perimeter. Before this season, he was Houston's primary playmaker. BUT he was playing alongside a PG in Beverly in the starting lineup. So he was still an SG technically in that kind of setup.

Most of today's top PG's are score first ANYWAY! So Harden falls in line with that. Many of the all time great PG's like MJ, West, Kobe, AI, Wade, Pete, Monroe, etc. could play the PG at a very high level if needed. But it would be from a score first mindset. So at this point, I consider Harden a top 4 PG in the world. Right there with Curry, Westbrook, and CP3. BUT at SG, he's #1 in the world! BECAUSE the SG position isn't as deep as the PG spot.

bizil
11-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Jalen Rose has made a couple of great points concerning PG's. For starters, positions were only created so novices could follow the game. Because on offense, guys have different skillsets at various sizes. A 6'9 Magic played PG BECAUSE he was BORN to play PG. A 6'0 AI played SG because he was best suited to play that spot. On defense, you can do cross matchups to complement the offensive ability of a Magic or AI.

Secondly, Rose has also said there's a difference between PG and point forward. Or a PG and a primary playmaker SG. Rose played in all three of those capacities. Magic was a LEGIT PG because he played with a true SG in B Scott and true SF-PF in Worthy on the perimeter. It was Magic's primary position for most of his career.

In the case of Pippen, G Hill, and Bron, they played as point forwards MOST of the time. Because they were usually on the court with a true PG and a true SG in the starting lineup. But ALL THREE also played and thrived as PG's in certain instances too. But Pip, Hill, and Bron will ALWAYS be seen as the blueprint for the modern day point forward.