PDA

View Full Version : Did jordan receive much hate throughout his career?

NZStreetBaller
11-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I was a 90s kid and dont really recall anybody hating michael jordan, plus internet and social media wasnt what it is today. Maybe the older generatiom can shed light on that. But im sure he had tones of haters.

Mj kobe and lebron have been the biggest stars in nba history and it seems the more famous you become the more hate you generate (see kim kardashian, justin beiber, john cena, michael jackson)

And although i remember loads of hate towards kobe and lebron i cant remember jordan being hated

BigKAT
11-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Not basketball related,

But people don't hate Kim Kardashian because she is famous.
They hate her, or dislike her in my case, because she's famous for being famous. (And making a sex tape.)

That's the worst form of being famous.

She's not talented, her entertaintment is being rich, and buying rich shit, and going to rich joints, and she is -rich- because she is fliming herself doing it, so it's a never ending circle of why the fukk she's even relevent.

But that's besides the point.

About Jordan I dunno I was born 94' and I figured what basketball even was when Maccabi won the Euroleague in early 2000's.

FKAri
11-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Corporations had more control over a star's public image back then because stars interacted through the highly filtered media machine. There was no twitter, snapchat, youtube, blogging, or TMZ to give the public any kind of unfiltered access. On top of that MJ also always avoided controversial issues whenever dealing with the public and was extremely PC. Stories like Chamillionaire's encounter with MJ wouldn't have gotten out in the 90s.

Marchesk
11-11-2016, 04:27 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/j7giec.jpg

There were people who hated him and didn't want the Bulls to win. But not like people hating on Lebron or Kobe, plus we never heard anything bad about Jordan. If you hated him, it's because he was so good and you didn't want a Bulls dynasty. Or you were a Pistons fan.

jstern
11-11-2016, 04:33 PM
It was more natural back then. You didn't have internet fanboys picking sides and antagonizing each other to the point where they refuse to see anything good in the player that threatens their favorite player. People were more free to make up their minds based on what they saw as individuals.

So yeah, there were people who hated players, but it was more for their own unique personal reasons.

FreezingTsmoove
11-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Obviously. A lot of Knick, Pacer, Jazz, and Magic fans hated this dude, and a lot of NBA fans felt he got special treatment from the refs

NZStreetBaller
11-11-2016, 04:44 PM
I was born in 88 and jordan was the only basketball player i knew. Just that he was the best in the world and if i ever saw basketball gear it was always Chicago bulls stuff

Gimmedarock
11-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I don't think you can compare how much hate Jordan received to a player today. No internet back then. Hate spreads much easier now. Lol. I mean you might hear someone say Jordan was overrated or selfish but you didn't see forums discussing it. No internet & fewer games on tv. Honestly, I around 86, a kid at school mentioned Jordan & I thought he played football!! Internet changes the game.

Atheletes get kind of overexposed today & that can contribute to hate. Go to & Facebook & see a few articles on Lebron a week & people always complain. Jordan was seen on tv a few times a month & in a commercials. It's easier to get burnt out on a player today I think.

Fans of teams hated rivals but there was respect. It could get heated but there was still recognition when a guy really had game.

jbryan1984
11-11-2016, 05:04 PM
imo he was always respected as a world class athlete but fans of contending teams sure did not like him. But again, they respected him.

bdreason
11-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Plenty of people hated on MJ and/or thought the media hype was over the top early in his career. I was pretty young during MJ's first 3-peat, but I specifically remember my dad (Warriors fan) complaining about MJ being compared to Magic and Bird before he had the resume.

As a kid I was all-in on MJ. Got my first pair of MJ's in 5th grade and tried to emulate his game every time I stepped on the court.

jstern
11-11-2016, 06:29 PM
imo he was always respected as a world class athlete but fans of contending teams sure did not like him. But again, they respected him.
That's the difference with the vapid social media era versus the 90s. Back then Lebron would have been respected by the people who were not fans of him. In this more vapid social media era a good portion of fans feel threatened when another player gets praised by internet strangers, and it makes them insecure. It feeds the hate.

Now before the 90s, fans seemed to be more emotionally involved in the games, because it was an era of less distractions. The games became bigger part of the people's lives, and that's why you saw fans fighting players, I think in the 81 Finals. People were just more emotionally involved, so during the games there was hatred for the opposing team. But because of the lack of fanboys they still respected the players.

I remember someone here posting a link to basketball forums from back in 80s. And Laker fans, Celtic fans were saying things like, Jordan is the best player ever, but still didn't have the rings. They were judging it by his game, did not feel insecure saying that Jordan was perhaps better than Bird and Magic.

Now, in the less rational, fanboy era, any type of critical analysis is thrown out the window for more simplistic agenda points. This player had 4 rings, this other player has 3, 4>3.

Even this thread probably has an agenda behind it of, "See Jordan would be hated if played now." How much of a waste of useless time is that, compared to more serious discussions? (I don't know if this thread has an agenda, I'm just using it as a type of example.)

Lebron23
11-11-2016, 06:47 PM
That's the difference with the vapid social media era versus the 90s. Back then Lebron would have been respected by the people who were not fans of him. In this more vapid social media era a good portion of fans feel threatened when another player gets praised by internet strangers, and it makes them insecure. It feeds the hate.

Now before the 90s, fans seemed to be more emotionally involved in the games, because it was an era of less distractions. The games became bigger part of the people's lives, and that's why you saw fans fighting players, I think in the 81 Finals. People were just more emotionally involved, so during the games there was hatred for the opposing team. But because of the lack of fanboys they still respected the players.

I remember someone here posting a link to basketball forums from back in 80s. And Laker fans, Celtic fans were saying things like, Jordan is the best player ever, but still didn't have the rings. They were judging it by his game, did not feel insecure saying that Jordan was perhaps better than Bird and Magic.

Now, in the less rational, fanboy era, any type of critical analysis is thrown out the window for more simplistic agenda points. This player had 4 rings, this other player has 3, 4>3.

Even this thread probably has an agenda behind it of, "See Jordan would be hated if played now." How much of a waste of useless time is that, compared to more serious discussions? (I don't know if this thread has an agenda, I'm just using it as a type of example.)

I don't think you can compare how much hate Jordan received to a player today. No internet back then. Hate spreads much easier now. Lol. I mean you might hear someone say Jordan was overrated or selfish but you didn't see forums discussing it. No internet & fewer games on tv. Honestly, I around 86, a kid at school mentioned Jordan & I thought he played football!! Internet changes the game.

Atheletes get kind of overexposed today & that can contribute to hate. Go & Facebook & see a few articles on Lebron a week & people always complain. Jordan was seen on tv a few times a month & in a commercials. It's easier to get burnt out on a player today I think.

This

KungFuJoe
11-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Jordan was like a God. I wouldn't say he was loved. Magic was more loved. Jordan was a deity. People were just in awe. Everyone wanted to "be like Mike". But he was always all business and he had that "I'll rip your soul out" aura to him.

No one hated him except opposing teams and die hard fans of those teams. But even then there was always the utmost respect. I hated the Bulls (Lakers fan) but loved Jordan.

Can't really compare him to any other player in the history of the game. He was supernatural. You knew you were witnessing the GOAT.

Marchesk
11-12-2016, 12:21 AM
No internet back then.

Jordan started winning titles when the web was invented. The internet goes back to DARPAnet.

ChrisKreager
11-12-2016, 01:44 AM
Lack of social media.

Back then, you either watched Jordan on TV, read newspapers, watched sports shows, or read articles.

That was basically it- there were no blogs and all of the stuff of today.

theaussieguy
11-12-2016, 01:51 AM
nah generally only the very best players of all time get a lot of hate so naturally Jordan didn't get much, comparable to Demar Derozen...pretty good player but not at that elite level, when was the last time anyone hated on that guy lol?

On the other hand u get guys like Curry and Lebron, straight up killers and they make a lot of people insecure, remember that old saying...if you got haters you be doing something right.