PDA

View Full Version : Best Rebuilding by a Team

BigKAT
11-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Consider the following Criterias:
*Amount of Time spent at the gutter. What is more impressive to you, Spurs reloading during the early 10's without losing a step, or the Golden State warriors going from no playoff to 2nd round tussle with the Spurs mostly by drafting the right guys?

*Final result (Championship/Contending/Playoff) The Clippers pulled a succesfull rebuild, they're contending, putting asses on seats and breaking the 50 win mark year in and year out, but are you more content with the New Jeresey nets trading for Kidd and losing two finals in a row, then mostly becoming irrelevent?

*Did they do it by Trades? Drafted Gems late in the draft? Do they luck into a Marc Gasol at , Draymond Green or Deandre Jordan in the 2nd round, or do they pick surefire can't miss Kyrie Irving/Kevin Durant/Derrick Rose as a Top-3 pick?

My pick:

https://noontimesports.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/celtics.jpg

2008 Boston Celtics.
It's not secret that Danny Ainge is one of my favorite GM's. I think that what he pulled that year was nothing short of amazing. They got Rondo with the 21th Pick in the Draft, and then pulled off perhaps the most amazing sequence of trading the league has ever seen.

First, they traded for All-star Ray Allen, which in return convinced Former MVP Kevin Garnett to rescind his No-trade Clause, and traded for him as well. They formed a 'Big 3' purely on the capabilities of their GM to sell trades.

1. The mostly did it without convincing big free agents. Instead, a few Ring-hungry veterans feeled their needs.
2. They pulled the biggest swing in the W-L department by any team
3. Banner #17.
4. Stayed relevent for years, pulling huge upset on Lebron's Cavs, Dwight's Magic and were a few posessions away from 2 championships in 3 seasons.

To me the most impressive thing is that the Celtics did all that 'Out of the Blue'. Rather then go to the Draft, they figured they still have Pierce late in his prime, and decided to go into 'Win Now' mode. Now, that so often backfired on teams, as we've seen with the Lakers and Nets try to pull the same kind of thing.

So what's your pick?

BigNBAfan
11-21-2016, 09:43 AM
wtf celtics is considered a rebuild?

BigKAT
11-21-2016, 10:03 AM
wtf celtics is considered a rebuild?

42- Win difference between the season prior and the 2008 season.

antonAC
11-21-2016, 10:08 AM
basketball is not my first sport, so what surprises me is how little credit is given to coaches for developing players.

like, it seems to be people are of the opinion that if you draft a no.1 then he'll probably end up an all-star and if you draft a no.40 he won't because of "the ceiling".

in soccer a player of 19 is considered nowhere near the finished article and player often leave teams to deliberately join the clubs with repuations for developing players.

so for me what's most impressive is the teams that draft the right guys, because they're the teams that make the league better by spotting the potential a raw 2nd round pick has and working with it until they're producing the sort of results a lottery pick would. GSW didn't luck out into Green, they picked a player that had put up interesting numbers and had probably impressed with his attitude, and then they gave him the chance to shine. Spurs do the same, getting guys like Kawhi to superstar level.

Uncle Drew
11-21-2016, 10:19 AM
- Acquire a shitload of #1 picks.
- Trade them for Kevin Love
- Sign LeBron James
- Win a championship in two years

My pick would be the Cleveland Cavaliers.

west_tip
11-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Shout out to Sam Hinkie.

Trade for an injury prone player who is a known cancer, tank, draft players that are injured and cannot make an immediate impact for your team and stay losing.

BigNBAfan
11-21-2016, 01:07 PM

but you didnt build shit... you bought them.

A rebuild is what OKC did with harden, durant and westbrook. Granted that didnt end up in rings but they drafted well and built a contending team. Same could be said of the warriors last year.

scm5
11-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Lakers with Shaq and Kobe...

ZMonkey11
11-21-2016, 02:30 PM
How is this even a contest?

It's the early-mid 2000 Detroit Pistons.

This is a team that let go of Grant Hill (yes given foot problems, but he was still HIGHLY Regarded at that point as next) and Jerry Stackhouse (a scoring monster at the time) for cogs in a machine.

They draft Tayshaun Prince, the perfect no-ego glue piece.

They acquire Rasheed Wallace and win the championship. They stay winning, going to Eastern Conference Final after East Conference Final for more than half a decade.

At hardly any point in the playoffs could you say the Detroit Pistons had the best player on the court.

Mind you, this is the team that sent 4 perceived role players to the All-Star game. These 4 shutdown the West and got the East the win.

All the players the Pistons got while winning weren't great veterans hungry for a championship. They were hard working guys and Joe Dumars saw all of this.

There was no tanking involved.

Early-mid 2000s Pistons was the best rebuild ever and it's not even close.

Legends66NBA7
11-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Post 90's Dallas Mavericks.

Once Cuban took over the team and Dirk started to blossom, it really turned around that franchise. Most people today don't remember that the 90's Mavericks were the complete opposite of the 90's Bulls in that decade.

Sakkreth
11-21-2016, 02:45 PM
How is this even a contest?

It's the early-mid 2000 Detroit Pistons.

This is a team that let go of Grant Hill (yes given foot problems, but he was still HIGHLY Regarded at that point as next) and Jerry Stackhouse (a scoring monster at the time) for cogs in a machine.

They draft Tayshaun Prince, the perfect no-ego glue piece.

They acquire Rasheed Wallace and win the championship. They stay winning, going to Eastern Conference Final after East Conference Final for more than half a decade.

At hardly any point in the playoffs could you say the Detroit Pistons had the best player on the court.

Mind you, this is the team that sent 4 perceived role players to the All-Star game. These 4 shutdown the West and got the East the win.

All the players the Pistons got while winning weren't great veterans hungry for a championship. They were hard working guys and Joe Dumars saw all of this.

There was no tanking involved.

Early-mid 2000s Pistons was the best rebuild ever and it's not even close.

This.

2008 Boston is not a rebuild. If it is, then Miami by signing LeBron and Bosh had the best rebuild ever.

Fire Colangelo
11-21-2016, 02:52 PM
The thunder did pretty well drafting.

Sakkreth
11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
The thunder did pretty well drafting.

Yeah but it didn't ended with a chip. Detroit's rebuild landed a chip.

Im Still Ballin
11-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Sacramento 2019.

scm5
11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
This.

2008 Boston is not a rebuild. If it is, then Miami by signing LeBron and Bosh had the best rebuild ever.

Shaq and Kobe?

3peat legit dynasty

Overdrive
11-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Rebuilding means going from contention(or anyrelative success) to failure and back to success while abandoning the old path. The fastest way back with the best outcome would be the best rebuild.

Pistons are a good example. They ended the Grant Hill era and got a chip 4 years laters.

The Celtics needed 2 decades to rebuild. Clippers never had success.
90s to mid 00s Pacers where crazy same as early 90s to the present Spurs.
They rebuild on the fly around aging stars. The Spurs even twice.

Bosnian Sajo
11-21-2016, 04:43 PM
but you didnt build shit... you bought them.

A rebuild is what OKC did with harden, durant and westbrook. Granted that didnt end up in rings but they drafted well and built a contending team. Same could be said of the warriors last year.

Rebulding is restructuring your team completely, it doesn't HAVE to be through the draft. The 08 Celtics was definitely a rebuild lol, they brought in KG and Ray, which led to them playing a whole new style of basketball. Drafted Leon Powe and Rondo that year, both who were huge in the playoffs.

You using the term "bought them" is also pretty silly, as if it is frowned upon to sign free agents and trade for players.

Bosnian Sajo
11-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Rebuilding means going from contention(or anyrelative success) to failure and back to success while abandoning the old path. The fastest way back with the best outcome would be the best rebuild.

Pistons are a good example. They ended the Grant Hill era and got a chip 4 years laters.

The Celtics needed 2 decades to rebuild. Clippers never had success.
90s to mid 00s Pacers where crazy same as early 90s to the present Spurs.
They rebuild on the fly around aging stars. The Spurs even twice.

No it's not, where is this definition?? :oldlol:

A rebuild is starting over, doesn't matter if you had success before that or not...Sixers are currently in year 4 of a rebuild of the team, and they didn't have any success before that.

CuhGetsBucks
11-21-2016, 04:49 PM
No it's not, where is this definition?? :oldlol:

A rebuild is starting over, doesn't matter if you had success before that or not...Sixers are currently in year 4 of a rebuild of the team, and they didn't have any success before that.
Hmm what do you define as success, because iirc they made it to the ECSF prior to that.

Bosnian Sajo
11-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Hmm what do you define as success, because iirc they made it to the ECSF prior to that.

I definitely don't consider a team making it to the 2nd round a success...especially when they hardly made the playoffs that season (8th seed) and played a Bulls team without last years MVP Derrick Rose.

Another example of a rebuild with no prior success would be the Twolves.

Overdrive
11-21-2016, 05:04 PM
I definitely don't consider a team making it to the 2nd round a success...especially when they hardly made the playoffs that season (8th seed) and played a Bulls team without last years MVP Derrick Rose.

Another example of a rebuild with no prior success would be the Twolves.

I admit that would be rebuild, too, but teams like the 76ers, who float around for years sporting crap rosters without any coherent concept aren't rebuilding, just because they shuffle things up. I don't think you can rebuild if you haven't build anything in the first place.

miggyme1
11-21-2016, 07:19 PM
2008 Celtics a rebuild??? wtf?????? noooooo....im sorry a rebuild is anything through the draft...you cant considering banking on free agents a rebuild...its like a microwave...its a quick fix. you cant rebuild overnight...its never happened and it never will. I think the greatest rebuild ever will be the future timberwolves....look how long its been and look at all the young talent.....and look at all the turmoil...drafted love and Rubio thinking they were the future....didn't pan out.....so yea

kshutts1
11-21-2016, 07:30 PM
I do not think that the team has to be bad for any period of time in order for it to be considered a rebuild. That is just one type of a rebuild. Can also just change the major pieces; there's no guarantee that they will work. Some people prefer to call this a "shake up". But call it what you will; it's a rebuild.

That second example is my favorite type. A team coming to grips with the fact that they likely maxed out with their style, so they trade their stars or something like that for a different style, and it pans out.

I do not necessarily have an example in mind, though the current Spurs and Warriors are pretty much blueprints.

The Spurs have changed their style, and stay elite even after losing a top 10 player of all time. Sure, his role was lessened each year for the past few seasons prior to his retirement but, when you look at NBA history, I feel like most teams fall off a cliff when they lose a player of that caliber.

The Warriors, on the other hand, changed essentially just the coaches. Management believed that they had the correct pieces, and they just had the find the right person to put them together. Mark Jackson had done an admirable job, and lead them very close to a title. A lot of organizations would have been satisfied with that, and kept Jackson on. But instead they made the change, and I doubt any of them regret it.

Those are two of my favorite rebuilds.

Bosnian Sajo
11-21-2016, 09:11 PM
2008 Celtics a rebuild??? wtf?????? noooooo....im sorry a rebuild is anything through the draft...you cant considering banking on free agents a rebuild...its like a microwave...its a quick fix. you cant rebuild overnight...its never happened and it never will. I think the greatest rebuild ever will be the future timberwolves....look how long its been and look at all the young talent.....and look at all the turmoil...drafted love and Rubio thinking they were the future....didn't pan out.....so yea

......2008 Celtics...........overnight rebuild...........:hammerhead:

2007 one of the worst teams in the NBA, 2008 NBA champs. hmmmm...