PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday marked 23yrs since Shaq's 24pts, 28boards and 15blks game.

Hey Yo
11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199311200NJN.html

It was Orlando's 4th game in 5 nights and Shaq only had 1FTA for the entire game....:biggums:

Some highlights below.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/800493807212974080

iamgine
11-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Against a rookie PJ Brown.

Prime_Shaq
11-21-2016, 09:25 AM
This wasn't even his final form, you could still see how unpolished he was inside and just completely dominated the opposition.

BigNBAfan
11-21-2016, 09:42 AM
That record is never going to be beat...

AintNoSunshine
11-21-2016, 10:14 AM

What record?

BigNBAfan
11-21-2016, 01:10 PM
What record?

pts 15+. reb 15+, blk 15+

only one i see having a chance is whiteside today.

PP34Deuce
11-21-2016, 02:47 PM
pts 15+. reb 15+, blk 15+

only one i see having a chance is whiteside today.

AD
Embiid
Whiteside

are the only guys with build, anticipation and length to sniff it.

I think all 3 guys will have one 20-14-10 game though with blocks.

dunksby
11-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Honorable mention:
Hakeem: 32/25/10 against the Magic (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198912170HOU.html)

Clifton
11-21-2016, 03:46 PM
I can't see a player getting 15 blocks today. Heck, when's the last time anyone's gotten 10? Nobody goes in the lane anymore unless it's wide open. Meanwhile, it's easier than ever for a big guy to notch 10 assists.

I wonder if we'll ever see another quadruple double.

TemporaMutantur
11-21-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't see a player getting 15 blocks today. Heck, when's the last time anyone's gotten 10? Nobody goes in the lane anymore unless it's wide open. Meanwhile, it's easier than ever for a big guy to notch 10 assists.

Whiteside had a 10+ block game last year I believe, I thought it was a statistical error when I first saw it that day.

Gatorade Sax
11-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Whiteside had a 10+ block game last year I believe, I thought it was a statistical error when I first saw it that day.

Thought he had a couple! He's easily the only hope of doing that these days.

aj1987
11-21-2016, 04:30 PM
AD
Embiid
Whiteside

are the only guys with build, anticipation and length to sniff it.

I think all 3 guys will have one 20-14-10 game though with blocks.
Whiteside already has one. 22/14/10 and another 19/17/11.

He had two last season.

Whiteside has a game with 11 and another with 10 blocks last season.

necya
11-21-2016, 04:30 PM
In fact, during that game he collected 24pts 21rbd and 8blk.
Never trust an NBA bosxscore, watch the games.

Hey Yo
11-21-2016, 04:37 PM
Nobody I know of personally, sit at home and keep track of stats while they happen. Then compare with boxscore later after the games over.

It all depends on the arena guy keeping the stats. Back then, very rarely did you see "tap ball back to the top of the key" rebounds. Who get's credit? The player who tapped it backwards and teammate got possession or the guy who caught the ball that was tapped backwards??

necya
11-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Nobody I know of personally, sit at home and keep track of stats while they happen. Then compare with boxscore later after the games over.

It all depends on the arena guy keeping the stats. Back then, very rarely did you see "tap ball back to the top of the key" rebounds. Who get's credit? The player who tapped it backwards and teammate got possession or the guy who caught the ball that was tapped backwards??

i hope that after 7500 posts, you know who should be credited for the rebound. A block shot is a block shot, how the hell can you mix up 8 and 15 ?

i'mcriticizing what should be more criticize (next to the ***** rules since a decade) instead of praising those suddenly elite levels that some players apprently reach.
Now in every games it's the same, the guy receives the ball, fakes, travels uses a perfect illegal moving screen and 3 dribbles after scores a bucket. And they reward a guy with an assist :facepalm

Smoke117
11-21-2016, 06:29 PM
I always think of Shaq's career as a let down...he would have been the GOAT if he had any work ethic and if he wasn't so goddamn insecure. He had all the tools to be a dominant defender, but only has a couple of years where he was. Why? Because of his insecurity and NEEDING to be popular...this is why his tenures with Penny and Kobe ended the way they did. Lucky for Wade, Shaq was older and he didn't have to deal with his insecure bullshit over being liked and praised. Scoring is what casual fans like and what makes you popular...so that's all he mostly cared during the majority of his career. It's hilarious watching him talk about how big men need to play defense when he was lazy as hell on that side for most of his career.

This is the guy who said: "You have to feed the dog if you want him to protect the yard" or some such bullshit. Do you think Hakeem would have ever said that? Robinson? Ewing? Mourning? Of course not...they actually took pride in doing things besides scoring.

Hey Yo
11-21-2016, 06:49 PM
i hope that after 7500 posts, you know who should be credited for the rebound. A block shot is a block shot, how the hell can you mix up 8 and 15 ?

i'mcriticizing what should be more criticize (next to the ***** rules since a decade) instead of praising those suddenly elite levels that some players apprently reach.
Now in every games it's the same, the guy receives the ball, fakes, travels uses a perfect illegal moving screen and 3 dribbles after scores a bucket. And they reward a guy with an assist :facepalm
In that situation, you never know (at times) who they'll give credit to. The player who catches it at the top of the key wouldn't have got it standing so far from the basket unless it wasn't purposely tapped back his direction....no??

I didn't mix up 8 and 15. I'm just the messenger. Look at the link I provided and see where "history shows" Shaq was credited with 15 blocks that game.....I didn't make it up, chico.

fourkicks44
11-21-2016, 07:20 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199311200NJN.html

It was Orlando's 4th game in 5 nights and Shaq only had 1FTA for the entire game....:biggums:

Some highlights below.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/800493807212974080

Ivan...make....basket.

necya
11-21-2016, 07:56 PM
In that situation, you never know (at times) who they'll give credit to. The player who catches it at the top of the key wouldn't have got it standing so far from the basket unless it wasn't purposely tapped back his direction....no??

I didn't mix up 8 and 15. I'm just the messenger. Look at the link I provided and see where "history shows" Shaq was credited with 15 blocks that game.....I didn't make it up, chico.

but why you take it personally, it's not against you

LAZERUSS
11-21-2016, 10:41 PM

You could be close.

https://lamarmatic.com/2015/08/19/an-unnecessary-breakdown-of-the-shaky-15-blocks-by-shaq/

The Total 15 Blocks for the Game: Six blocks, two probable goal-tends, two steal-blocks, one incorrectly awarded block and four obscure blocks.

Verdict: Shaquille O’Neal supposedly blocked ten shots in this game and probably should have been called for a goal-tending violation on one of them. You can make a case that two of the blocked shots were actually steals, but I imagine that at that point the scorekeeper was too excited by seeing O’Neal’s totals accumulating.

Having said that, though, this was probably a near-peak Shaq in terms of skill and athleticism. I have long maintained that a young Shaq was already at his peak by his second season, and at age 21. In that season he averaged 39.8 mpg, 29.3 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.9 bpg, 18.7 TRB%, .599 FG%, and a .605 TS%.

In his 99-00 season, he averaged 40.0 mpg, 29.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 3.0 bpg, .18.3 TRB%, 574 FG%, .578 TS%.

Of course, the '00 Shaq was much more dominant in his post-season run than a 21 year-old Shaq was in his.

And granted, he was considerably more powerful at age 27, but clearly he was hitting his prime, and near-peak, by age 21.

Prime_Shaq
11-21-2016, 10:44 PM
I always think of Shaq's career as a let down...he would have been the GOAT if he had any work ethic and if he wasn't so goddamn insecure. He had all the tools to be a dominant defender, but only has a couple of years where he was. Why? Because of his insecurity and NEEDING to be popular...this is why his tenures with Penny and Kobe ended the way they did. Lucky for Wade, Shaq was older and he didn't have to deal with his insecure bullshit over being liked and praised. Scoring is what casual fans like and what makes you popular...so that's all he mostly cared during the majority of his career. It's hilarious watching him talk about how big men need to play defense when he was lazy as hell on that side for most of his career.

This is the guy who said: "You have to feed the dog if you want him to protect the yard" or some such bullshit. Do you think Hakeem would have ever said that? Robinson? Ewing? Mourning? Of course not...they actually took pride in doing things besides scoring.
As a huge Shaq fan, even I agree with you

pedromarinho
11-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Every player has flaws god damnit. Learn to deal with that.

Harden should defend more, Westbrook should think more, Durant should blabla more, Curry should blabla more...

Every player should do more something...

Shaq was wat is was because of his personality, Kobe reached where he is at because of his personality. You think Kobe would be considered an All Time Great if he didn't play HIS game?

It's like Westbrook, I don't like his game but if he did play something else he wouldn't even be relevant!

There is only one Jordan and even his game had flaws.

Haymaker
11-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Even as a player Scott Skiles looked like he belonged to the coaching staff.

LAZERUSS
11-21-2016, 11:10 PM

Of course, you sound like ESPN, which conveniently ignores Wilt and his actual records. Granted, blocked shots were not "officially" recorded in Chamberlain's era, but there were newspaper recaps which credited Chamberlain with 20+ blocks on several occasions. There was even a nationally televised game on 12/25/68 in which he recorded 23 blocked shots. Sports Illustrated recapped that game in their now infamous 1/27/69 issue (more on that in a moment.)

http://www.si.com/vault/1969/01/27/559068/on-topbut-in-trouble

So the Lakers walk the ball up the court, get arranged and then, as VBK says, start "to grind it out." The Lakers do not often make 100 points now. "Defense is the thing we're really living on," van Breda Kolff admits, and Chamberlain has been superb, sometimes even awesome, on defense. In a recent game on national television he blocked 23 shots against Phoenix.

nbastats.net also used these newspaper recaps in tabulating a ton of Wilt's statistics (and records.)

In fact, they have Chamberlain with a staggering 44 point, 39 rebound, 22 block game on 11/4/60. As well as games of 33-18 with 16 blocks on 2/9/65; 53-21 with 15 blocks on 10/23/65; a monster 33-30 game with 16 blocks against Nate Thurmond's Warriors (and just six days after crushing Thurmond with a 45 point game); that nationally televised 15-15 23 block game; a playoff game on 4/20/69 of 16-29 16 blocks; and finally, he just missed the magical 15-15-15 mark with a game on 12/13/72 of 14-15-15.

Of course, much of Wilt's block data is missing from his career, but Julizaver, who posts here occasionally and is a contributor at nbastats.net, has Chamberlain with a KNOWN 590 blocked shots in his playoff career...which is ahead of Duncan's "official"playoff record of 568 in 241 games. Oh, and those 590 came in Wilt's 81 known playoff games, out of his 160 total playoff games.

As for the "infamous" 1/27/69 SI issue...

The main problem on the court is not that Chamberlain, Baylor and West do not get the ball enough. It is that Chamberlain will not—or cannot—go to the basket when he does get it. In other words, the fantastic Laker juggernaut lacks a sufficient offense to carry it; the team has been reduced to depending on its defense.

Again, that issue hit the newstands on 1/27/69. However, just the night before it was released, Chamberain unleashed a 60 point game, and followed it up a few days later with his last 60+ point game (66 points on 29-35 FG/FGA.)

iamgine
11-22-2016, 12:07 AM

On the other side, he might've been permanently injured by doing this.

Shaq was too heavy and played the power game. It's a marvel he didn't get injured more often ala Yao Ming.

necya
11-22-2016, 09:26 AM
You could be close.

https://lamarmatic.com/2015/08/19/an-unnecessary-breakdown-of-the-shaky-15-blocks-by-shaq/

Having said that, though, this was probably a near-peak Shaq in terms of skill and athleticism. I have long maintained that a young Shaq was already at his peak by his second season, and at age 21. In that season he averaged 39.8 mpg, 29.3 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.9 bpg, 18.7 TRB%, .599 FG%, and a .605 TS%.

In his 99-00 season, he averaged 40.0 mpg, 29.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 3.0 bpg, .18.3 TRB%, 574 FG%, .578 TS%.

Of course, the '00 Shaq was much more dominant in his post-season run than a 21 year-old Shaq was in his.

And granted, he was considerably more powerful at age 27, but clearly he was hitting his prime, and near-peak, by age 21.

Lamarmatic, funny...my version is a perfect quality 2dvd set, i'm surprised he used that crappy tape that was in the trade circle like 8 years ago.

LAZERUSS
11-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Lamarmatic, funny...my version is a perfect quality 2dvd set, i'm surprised he used that crappy tape that was in the trade circle like 8 years ago.

I wasn't really questioning your numbers, but rather just showing another opinion on the "15 blocks."

BTW, you only came up with 21 rebounds? Again, I am not challenging you, but just curious. From a 24-28-15 game down to a 24-21-8 game is a massive drop.

Big164
11-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Shaq could've, should've...had all the tools to surpass Chamberlain but was just too lazy.

He belongs in the 30.1 club with Wilt and MJ.

LamarMatic
11-22-2016, 10:02 AM
What can I say? It's a great performance, it wasn't out there on YouTube and so I used the version that I had. Unfortunately, I don't own a perfect quality 2dvd set.

Psileas
11-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Of course, you sound like ESPN, which conveniently ignores Wilt and his actual records. Granted, blocked shots were not "officially" recorded in Chamberlain's era, but there were newspaper recaps which credited Chamberlain with 20+ blocks on several occasions. There was even a nationally televised game on 12/25/68 in which he recorded 23 blocked shots. Sports Illustrated recapped that game in their now infamous 1/27/69 issue (more on that in a moment.)

Doesn't it get on your nerves when you read about "nationally televised" games that are nowhere to be found? Same goes for a crazy 1962 Wilt game (with a 44/28/5/28 statline :eek: ), mentioned by nbastats. Supposedly nationally televised...

LAZERUSS
11-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Doesn't it get on your nerves when you read about "nationally televised" games that are nowhere to be found? Same goes for a crazy 1962 Wilt game (with a 44/28/5/28 statline :eek: ), mentioned by nbastats. Supposedly nationally televised...

SMH.

ABC televised every 1972 WCF game, and all in prime time. And yet, there are only a few minutes (if that) of highlights available. Same with the '72 Finals. All nationally televised, and in prime time. Luckily, we do have almost all of the clinching game five. Of course, as you said, there were some extraordinary games that were nationally televised, as well, and yet...nowhere to be found.

Dragonyeuw
11-22-2016, 03:07 PM
I can only imagine how dominant Shaq *could have been*( as dominant as he was) if you took his Orlando physique and athleticism and matched it with the IQ and experience of the 2000-2002 Shaq.

MiseryCityTexas
11-22-2016, 04:06 PM
The NBA is just now going back to where it used to be with all the new talented centers.

necya
11-23-2016, 10:36 AM
What can I say? It's a great performance, it wasn't out there on YouTube and so I used the version that I had. Unfortunately, I don't own a perfect quality 2dvd set.

no, it's funny cause i know your name from youtube and, if i'm not mistaken, i know you from SSC. and the 2disc version was sold everywhere so i was surprised you didn't get it.

necya
11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
I wasn't really questioning your numbers, but rather just showing another opinion on the "15 blocks."

BTW, you only came up with 21 rebounds? Again, I am not challenging you, but just curious. From a 24-28-15 game down to a 24-21-8 game is a massive drop.

yes, don't know how many Lamarmatic has though. But it happens so many times, last one i've seen was Harden who was with Harden, dude was like 13pts and 9ast while the rockets didn't get enough baskets to reach the 9 assists recorded. well, it's NBA

LamarMatic
11-23-2016, 11:27 AM
yes, don't know how many Lamarmatic has though. But it happens so many times, last one i've seen was Harden who was with Harden, dude was like 13pts and 9ast while the rockets didn't get enough baskets to reach the 9 assists recorded. well, it's NBA
yeah, I was on SSC. somehow I must have missed out on it. oh well...

as far as Shaq's performance is concerned, my conclusion was that 10 blocks would have been somewhat fair. but even that was iffy so I don't disagree with you when you say that he deserved only eight to his name.

and, yeah, NBA assists are just the worst. if the scorers' table feels like giving the guy an assist, they will do it no matter what. it could even be a pass leading to a guy who scores after three seconds of contemplation and five dribbles.

once upon a time I also did an unnecessary breakdown on Van Exel's infamous 23-assist game. I concluded that he only had 15 assists in the game:

https://lamarmatic.com/2016/03/17/an-unnecessary-breakdown-of-van-exels-fudged-23-assists/

Clifton
11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Every player has flaws god damnit. Learn to deal with that.

Harden should defend more, Westbrook should think more, Durant should blabla more, Curry should blabla more...

Every player should do more something...
Could that be said of Bird, Magic, Kareem, or Jordan?

That's true of the players you mention only because they're not the greatest ever. Like Shaq.