PDA

View Full Version : Clutchest player ever?

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 08:36 PM
You down by 4. 30 seconds to go. Location: United Center. You can choose any player from any era to lead your team. Who you got?

Jerry West? Larry Legend? John Stockton?

Give me John Stockton. If the shot ain't there, he'll make the right play.

AngelEyes
11-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Jordan

Uncle Drew
11-26-2016, 08:38 PM
I'll go with Kyrie Irving.

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Jordan

Certainly at an advantage, given it's in Chicago. Still going with Stockton.

JohnMax
11-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Curry and Durant

ShawkFactory
11-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Obviously Jordan was crazy clutch. But a part of that can be attributed to him just being so good in general. He could just play his normal game and win it in the end.

But of course the threat of losing added another gear for him. Same with Bird. Or Dirk. They were unstoppable regardless.

I'm thinking of clutch guys who are good players, but truly turn it up and play above themselves when it gets tense. Like an Andre Iguodala. I don't know who in the past last was like that.

SuperCereal
11-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Bird

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 09:04 PM
i'll have Nash lead my team for similar reasons to Stockton. Also, I would like to make sure Horry is on that team too for obvious reasons if that's allowed.

Lord P
11-26-2016, 09:05 PM
I want Ray Allen taking the last shot at all times

Cold soul
11-26-2016, 09:52 PM
Jordan or Bird.

KungFuJoe
11-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Jordan and then Bird.

Nilocon165
11-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Curry and Durant
http://the305.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Lebron-Sitcom-Funny-Laughing.jpg

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Why the United Center? lol

Anyway, I'll go with Larry Bird at his ABSOLUTE best. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rg1sFMxnbM#t=2m23s) is an interesting segment with James Worthy explaining the difference between guarding Larry and Mike (Doc's opinion was just before this but also similar). I'm a Jordan fan but even I have to agree to an extent. Just watch an 80s Boston game or even when dude had a f*cked up back before retiring in the 90s. Larry was always a step ahead. Every. Damn. Time.

Round Mound
11-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Bird

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 10:29 PM
WTF? Serious?

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 10:31 PM
WTF? Serious?

judging by how plenty of people are saying Bird, MJ is not that obvious a choice.

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:35 PM

Anyway, I'll go with Larry Bird at his ABSOLUTE best. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rg1sFMxnbM#t=2m23s) is an interesting segment with James Worthy explaining the difference between guarding Larry and Mike (Doc's opinion was just before this but also similar). I'm a Jordan fan but even I have to agree to an extent. Just watch an 80s Boston game or even when dude had a f*cked up back before retiring in the 90s. Larry was always a step ahead. Every. Damn. Time.

Payton said a very similar thing about Stockton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HqNHUCDNzw

PeroAntic
11-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Joe Johnson

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 10:36 PM
judging by how plenty of people are saying Bird, MJ is not that obvious a choice.

:biggums: Really son? You actually going to question who the GOAT clutch player was? Really?

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
:biggums: Really son? Go actually going to question who the GOAT clutch player was? Really?

It's about 50/50 whether MJ makes the final shot or misses. I'll take Stockton, he's simply more likely to make the shot, and if it isn't there, he'll find it for the team.

Real14
11-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Mj. Number 2 is between Mike Miller, Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving.

Nilocon165
11-26-2016, 10:40 PM
God Jordan stans are so ****ing annoying.

"All you kitties didn't get to see the best play"

"Sit down son, let the adults discuss ball as we witnessed the best"

**** out of here

Obviously he's the GOAT we get it but you fakkots are insufferable

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Mj. Number 2 is between Mike Miller, Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving.

Good sleeper pick, but I can think of 20 players I would have take the shot before Mike Miller.

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 10:41 PM
It's about 50/50 whether MJ makes the final shot or misses. I'll take Stockton, he's simply more likely to make the shot, and if it isn't there, he'll find it for the team.

Stockton? :roll:

:biggums:

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qobv8yUTJ_E

Over one of the GOATs, Charles Barkley. But hey, if you'd rather take the guy that pushed off, then you do you!

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2016, 10:43 PM
:biggums: Really son? You actually going to question who the GOAT clutch player was? Really?

You really don't think its close? Or that Larry...one of the most reputable clutch players in NBA history according to his peers...doesn't even have an argument? I actually think your post is more egregious than the guy who said Durant. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
11-26-2016, 10:44 PM
MJ, Logo, Dirk..

I aint losing close games.

egokiller
11-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Since this is an adult discussion of those who watched MJ play, I'm going to have to go with MJ.

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 10:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qobv8yUTJ_E

Over one of the GOATs, Charles Barkley. But hey, if you'd rather take the guy that pushed off, then you do you!

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:46 PM

Yep. The same guy that put your boy on skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADlvxFVt8k

ClipperRevival
You really don't think its close? Or that Larry...one of the most reputable clutch players in NBA history according to his peers...doesn't even have an argument? I actually think your post is more egregious than the guy who said Durant. :oldlol:

Bird is top 5 or 3 ever in this topic but #1 is MJ. Come on son. Keep it real. How the f*ck does Bird TOP MJ?

!@#$%Vectors!@#
Jordan ******s need to get his fking nuts out of their mouth. You guys are insufferable. Holy shit I wonder i you guys praise and suck off your wives as much as you do Jordan.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_mt7zdsIpUM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

ArbitraryWater

You're really gonna have a meltdown over this aren't you

egokiller
11-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Your point had no substance.

Much triggering going on here. Baby boys mad cause Jordan is the obvious answer.

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 10:48 PM
God Jordan stans are so ****ing annoying.

"All you kitties didn't get to see the best play"

"Sit down son, let the adults discuss ball as we witnessed the best"

**** out of here

Obviously he's the GOAT we get it but you fakkots are insufferable

the simple counter to them is almost none of them saw kareem play in his prime. How could they be so sure MJ is the GOAT over him then if they didn't watch Kareem(let alone russell or wilt)? A lot of them might fall back on stats and that's where you call them for not being consistent.

Nilocon165
11-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Jordan ******s need to get his fking nuts out of their mouth. You guys are insufferable. Holy shit I wonder i you guys praise and suck off your wives as much as you do Jordan.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_mt7zdsIpUM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
Copied my post but :applause:

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Your point had no substance.

Much triggering going on here. Baby boys made cause Jordan is the obvious answer.

so you're going just disrespect Bird and not even give him any consideration then?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Bird is top 5 or 3 ever in this topic but #1 is MJ. Come on son. Keep it real. How the f*ck does Bird TOP MJ?

Come on what? :oldlol: I'm legit curious how you think Bird can't top MJ in crunchtime. ESPECIALLY in OP's scenario.

Watch his games. Listen to the testimonials from HOFers and legends who played both WITH and against Jordan/Bird. They're rolling with Larry and there's no scoffing at it.

Nilocon165
11-26-2016, 10:50 PM
the simple counter to them is almost none of them saw kareem play in his prime. How could they be so sure MJ is the GOAT over him then if they didn't watch Kareem(let alone russell or wilt)? A lot of them might fall back on stats and that's where you call them for not being consistent.
Easy.

Jordan is the GOAT and you young kitties didn't get to watch Jesus Christ himself play basketball.

Atleast to them that's the answer...

MrFonzworth
11-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Jordan is clearly not the most clutch player of all time. After missing several game winning shots, and getting his ankles shattered by Stockton in the final 5 seconds of a game, I think it's fair to say he's out of the discussion.

Cocaine80s
11-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Lebron

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 10:54 PM
You don fu*ked up. :applause:

Nilocon165
11-26-2016, 10:55 PM
You don fu*ked up. :applause:
**** you.

egokiller
11-26-2016, 11:03 PM

Actually the simple counter is that those of the MJ era were told by those of the Kareem era that MJ was GOAT. Someone who's never seen Kareem, russell, wilt, OR MJ play has only one option regarding this topic. That is to listen to what those of the MJ era are telling them and stfu as they should. It's like me trying to argue against wilt when I never saw him play. Since I'm told by those who saw both wilt and MJ that MJ is GOAT, obvious answer is obvious.

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Actually the simple counter is that those of the MJ era were told by those of the Kareem era that MJ was GOAT. Someone who's never seen Kareem, russell, wilt, OR MJ play has only one option regarding this topic. That is to listen to what those of the MJ era are telling them and stfu as they should.

then why has Kareem popped up in GOAT lists from people who've watched both. Lists with Russell may not be as legit since very few people were even alive to have watched basketball back then but they still exist. Ofc there are also people who actually think Lebron or Kobe are better than MJ and have watched both eras(not many here but they exist). Ofc you would argue they just don't know their shit but that kind of supports my point. Watching is not a guarantee you know your shit. Just read a game thread here and some of the shit people say is unbelievably dumb. I wouldn't trust what they had to say about basketball 20 years from now either.

egokiller
11-26-2016, 11:14 PM
then why has Kareem popped up in GOAT lists from people who've watched both. Lists with Russell may not be as legit since very few people were even alive to have watched basketball back then but they still exist. Ofc there are also people who actually think Lebron or Kobe are better than MJ and have watched both eras(not many here but they exist). Ofc you would argue they just don't know their shit but that kind of supports my point. Watching is not a guarantee you know your shit. Just read a game thread here and some of the shit people say is unbelievably dumb. I wouldn't trust what they had to say about basketball 20 years from now either.

For the same idiocic reasons why Lebron or Kobe are claimed to be better than MJ by those that watched both. Main reason being MJ either shit on their teams or, a you said, they don't know what they are talking about.

KungFuJoe
11-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Bird was clutch as ****. Dude had ice in his veins. He'd tell you he was going to hit the game winner on you then go out and do it.

MJ or Bird. Those are the guys you want taking the last shot.

I still got MJ as my #1 but lemme tell as someone who grew up in the 80s and HATED the Celtics...Bird scared the **** out of me whenever the game was close. He broke so many damn hearts.

ClipperRevival
11-26-2016, 11:16 PM
Actually the simple counter is that those of the MJ era were told by those of the Kareem era that MJ was GOAT. Someone who's never seen Kareem, russell, wilt, OR MJ play has only one option regarding this topic. That is to listen to what those of the MJ era are telling them and stfu as they should. It's like me trying to argue against wilt when I never saw him play. Since I'm told by those who saw both wilt and MJ that MJ is GOAT, obvious answer is obvious.

Most important is winning as "the man." Both MJ and KAJ have 6 rings but MJ has 6 fvmp and KAJ has 2. Granted KAJ could easily have 3 (1980 finals). But even if you give him that, that is 3/3 vs 6/6.

These are universally the top 2 GOATs and MJ beats KAJ that hard where it matters most.

NBAGOAT
11-26-2016, 11:18 PM
For the same idiocic reasons why Lebron or Kobe are claimed to be better than MJ by those that watched both. Main reason being MJ either shit on their teams or, a you said, they don't know what they are talking about.

Based on some of your opinions about just the current game, you're not exactly an expert either.

ArbitraryWater
11-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Bird was clutch as ****. Dude had ice in his veins. He'd tell you he was going to hit the game winner on you then go out and do it.

MJ or Bird. Those are the guys you want taking the last shot.

I still got MJ as my #1 but lemme tell as someone who grew up in the 80s and HATED the Celtics...Bird scared the **** out of me whenever the game was close. He broke so many damn hearts.

you being that old and yet so childish in your views on selective players is scary

KungFuJoe
11-26-2016, 11:19 PM
you being that old and yet so childish in your views on selective players is scary

The hell you talking about?

JebronLames
11-26-2016, 11:28 PM
LeBron James

egokiller
11-26-2016, 11:30 PM
The hell you talking about?

He had no rebutal so he simply called it childish when actually it was a solid post.

Real14
11-26-2016, 11:32 PM
LeBron James
Damn u need to get off that crack man!!!(smokey's voice)

pedromarinho
11-26-2016, 11:59 PM
uncle drew

livinglegend
11-27-2016, 12:05 AM
Most important is winning as "the man." Both MJ and KAJ have 6 rings but MJ has 6 fvmp and KAJ has 2. Granted KAJ could easily have 3 (1980 finals). But even if you give him that, that is 3/3 vs 6/6.

These are universally the top 2 GOATs and MJ beats KAJ that hard where it matters most.

Russell has 11 as the man.

NEXT

raprap
11-27-2016, 12:25 AM
Alltime: Bird or MJ

Current: Kyrie or KD

Zeppelin
11-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Jordan or Bird. Can't pick.

pedromarinho
11-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Alltime: Bird or MJ

Current: Kyrie or KD
kd???????????:biggums:

steph so much clutch than him

ShawkFactory
11-27-2016, 12:52 AM

Best part of that video was Isiah saying that if you put Magic, Jordan, and himself in a room together..that Bird would be the one who walked out. I absolutely believe that.

Jordan was a better talent, and that translated to their career results. But even Michael Jordan couldn't fvck with Bird mentally. Jordan had that edge over everyone, but Bird was probably the only guy he didn't jaw at when it came down to it.

I wish I got to see him.

OldSchoolBBall
11-27-2016, 07:17 PM
This in unquestionably Jordan followed closely by Bird. Both would beat you with any facet of their game for the win.

Pointguard
11-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Weird that nobody has said Magic. Especially people claiming to have seen Bird and Jordan. Magic has more incredible clutch plays than both of them for sure. And that's not including his superior judgement of great pass plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJiGMFmVHO8 and that video not all of his clutch. 40 plus footers

ArbitraryWater
11-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Weird that nobody has said Magic. Especially people claiming to have seen Bird and Jordan. Magic has more incredible clutch plays than both of them for sure. And that's not including his superior judgement of great pass plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJiGMFmVHO8 and that video not all of his clutch. 40 plus footers

lol

Magic wasnt even their designed last shot taker.. Worthy was. And he doesnt have nearly as many clutch plays :oldlol:

Pointguard
11-27-2016, 08:55 PM
lol

Magic wasnt even their designed last shot taker.. Worthy was. And he doesnt have nearly as many clutch plays :oldlol:
:lol And before Worthy was designated it was Kareem. Designated doesn't make you the best, now does it? And he doesn't as many clutch shots as Worthy or Kareem? You can't be serious. And the video I showed wasn't all that there is on Magic.

But to shut you up, you grab a a video of some designated last shot taker, outside of Jordan, and I guarantee you I will embarrass the video with a Magic video. GUARANTEE. In fact you can take Worthy and Kareem together.

Da_Realist
11-27-2016, 09:49 PM

Can't believe they omitted the junior sky hook over Boston in the 87 Finals!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NGUpm4LHE

ArbitraryWater
11-27-2016, 09:53 PM
:lol And before Worthy was designated it was Kareem. Designated doesn't make you the best, now does it? And he doesn't as many clutch shots as Worthy or Kareem? You can't be serious. And the video I showed wasn't all that there is on Magic.

But to shut you up, you grab a a video of some designated last shot taker, outside of Jordan, and I guarantee you I will embarrass the video with a Magic video. GUARANTEE. In fact you can take Worthy and Kareem together.

If Magic would have been their designated last second shot taker that would have meant he was their best.. they didnt though, they rolled with Worthy over him... you know who's a clutcher last second shot taker than Magic? Reggie... Bron... hell, most all time greats that actually have a J, even guys like Melo.

tpols
11-27-2016, 10:00 PM
If Magic would have been their designated last second shot taker that would have meant he was their best.. they didnt though, they rolled with Worthy over him... you know who's a clutcher last second shot taker than Magic? Reggie... Bron... hell, most all time greats that actually have a J, even guys like Melo.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/d105d50639d42eb32539ef85fa00fde5/tumblr_inline_nv868cap0i1ryj2q8_500.gif

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1425/14251903/2662425-1361589542722.gif

Pointguard
11-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Why do you think you can define best when you don't even know basketball in the first place. Magic has more finals clutch shots than Reggie and Lebron together. Why? Dude, you sound foolish. Why does Magic have more clutch shots than Worthy? Its not even close. Heck Lebron is a player in the modern youtube era and he doesn't have the shots that Magic have. Why? Reggie hit some big shots but not as much as Magic did in the Conference Finals or Finals. Not remotely close.

Magic could hit the big shot at a much better rate than Lebron and Reggie. My challenge stands. And Magic didn't play in the video age. What is your argument.

Magic was always the first thought as to make the big play first. Worthy was the option. You don't know what you are talking about.

egokiller
11-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Clutch isn't all about shot %. Clutch also isn't only restricted to creating your own shot off the dribble. Clutch also encompasses a catch and shoot situation. Therefore we must go with my man, 7 time NBA champion, Robert Horry. He's only missed one clutch shot in his entire career and even that shot was half way down during his time as a laker during the 2003 playoffs against the Spurs.

Big shot Rob. Clutchest player in NBA history.

Lebronxrings
11-27-2016, 10:30 PM
lebron. I trust him to make the best decision with the ball.

ClipperRevival
11-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Russell has 11 as the man.

NEXT

Russell deserves 7-9 fmvp. He is the GOAT winner but MJ had to be dominant on both ends, while Russell focused more on D. That's harder to do and more impressive.

Pointguard
11-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Can't believe they omitted the junior sky hook over Boston in the 87 Finals!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NGUpm4LHE
Yes, and the 22 foot one hander off the backboard at the end of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rYhYRrxkU are amazingly ignored. Magic's two last second critical shots in the finals against an all time great team are among the greatest last second shots of importance in basketball history.

Da_Realist
11-28-2016, 12:12 AM
Clutch isn't all about shot %. Clutch also isn't only restricted to creating your own shot off the dribble. Clutch also encompasses a catch and shoot situation. Therefore we must go with my man, 7 time NBA champion, Robert Horry. He's only missed one clutch shot in his entire career and even that shot was half way down during his time as a laker during the 2003 playoffs against the Spurs.

Big shot Rob. Clutchest player in NBA history.

No. Big shot Rob had ice in his veins for sure, but he benefited by playing with guys that had the attention of the other team. Rob was left open because teams didn't want to get burned by Olajuwon, Duncan, Shaq or Kobe. He was the 3rd or 4th option that made you pay for leaving him open.

That's not the same as being the guy that has to shoulder the load and everyone in the building knows it.

egokiller
11-28-2016, 12:31 AM
No. Big shot Rob had ice in his veins for sure, but he benefited by playing with guys that had the attention of the other team. Rob was left open because teams didn't want to get burned by Olajuwon, Duncan, Shaq or Kobe. He was the 3rd or 4th option that made you pay for leaving him open.

That's not the same as being the guy that has to shoulder the load and everyone in the building knows it.

Most clutch isn't about being "the best player on the floor". It's about making a high pressured shot in a high pressure situation, open or not. This is why Horry is most clutch because he's made the most clutch shots in the highest pressured moments in post season play and has missed the least.

Da_Realist
11-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Most clutch isn't about being "the best player on the floor". It's about making a high pressured shot in a high pressure situation, open or not. This is why Horry is most clutch because he's made the most clutch shots in the highest pressured moments in post season play and has missed the least.

No doubt he made some clutch shots but the reason he got them in the first place is because teams were more concerned about other people. Would Horry have been just as clutch if teams focused on him first and foremost? I doubt it. His shots were wide open for a reason.

Bosnian Sajo
11-28-2016, 12:39 AM
Give me Kobe...easy.

soots
11-28-2016, 01:06 AM
The guy with more rings than MJ

http://static.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/-horry2-637549.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
11-28-2016, 01:10 AM
Kobe.

bean.

Bryant.

Nick Young
11-28-2016, 01:10 AM
1. Kobe Bean Bryant

2. Robert Horry
3. Derek Fisher

sportjames23
11-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Jordan. The only other players I'd consider would be Bird and Magic.

duskovujosevic
11-28-2016, 01:54 AM
Brandon Roy

Gougou
11-28-2016, 04:23 AM
Jordan - He has a lot of clutch games than other players period, both playoffs and finals.

Lebron - The game 7 vs Spurs and game 7 vs Warriors, those 2 championship-deciding games he performed extremely well, he is also the best player during elimination games.

Kyrie Irving - The game 7 vs warrior and USA Olympics games both of them makes him very clutch, he also made a lot of clutch plays in regular games.

Manu Ginobili - He is kinda clutch due to 05 Spurs game 7, 06 Argentina vs USA he showd up big too.

Bawkish
11-28-2016, 06:46 AM
i'd have MJ for me but wouldn't mind Bird over him though

if i were a coach & have them both as my players, i wouldn't mind who would take the last shot as i know whoevers gets it will probably give me a W

SwayDizzle
11-28-2016, 06:50 AM
kobe is at the top, mj close second

feyki
11-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Brandon Roy

He was amazing in the game 3 at 2011 , against us .

My pick is Sam Jones .

paksat
11-28-2016, 07:28 AM
06-08 wade

BigKAT
11-28-2016, 07:33 AM
In no particular order if I want the player to score:

Damian Lillard.
Larry Legend.
Michael Jordan.

Now if I'm looking for someone to make play/pass:
Magic Johnson
Lebron James
Tim Duncan

Robert Horry is badass af but I think most of his scores at clutch times is a catch and shoot, isn't it?

Flower_
11-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Give me Kyrie over anyone playing right now. Cold blooded m'f****

Harison
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Jordan or Bird.
This is the correct answer.

Runners up: Mr. Clutch (why so few mentioned him?) and Bill Russell (he was uber clutch and never lost Game 7. Although he was GOAT defender, what some people dont know, he could score at will and was the main offense hub. He also holds the GOAT game stat in Finals Game 7: 30 points, 42 rebounds and had nearly quadruple double with blocks and assists).

BigKAT
11-28-2016, 10:03 AM
This is the correct answer.

Runners up: Mr. Clutch (why so few mentioned him?) and Bill Russell (he was uber clutch and never lost Game 7. Although he was GOAT defender, what some people dont know, he could score at will and was the main offense hub. He also holds the GOAT game stat in Finals Game 7: 30 points, 42 rebounds and had nearly quadruple double with blocks and assists).

They didn't keep track of blocks in those years.

Marchesk
11-28-2016, 10:06 AM

If the film exists for that game, you could count how many blocks and steals he had.

BigKAT
11-28-2016, 10:13 AM
If the film exists for that game, you could count how many blocks and steals he had.

Of course you could.
My hunch is that the person who posted that didn't exactly do that.
In addition, many people from that time talk about the obscene amount of goaltending in those years.

Russell is GOAT-level without a doubt.
Probably would've led the league in blocks were they counted.
But still, just making a point my friend.

pauk
11-28-2016, 10:31 AM
http://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/poster/6.250/8.000/break/images-medium-5/magical-reggie-miller-choke-paul-van-scott.jpg

Harison
11-28-2016, 12:17 PM

I've read article about that game (it was also posted on ISH couple of years back), journalist counted blocks himself.

Prime_Shaq
11-28-2016, 12:19 PM
No disrespect to MJ, but its Larry Legend for me.

ArbitraryWater
11-28-2016, 12:36 PM
No disrespect to MJ, but its Larry Legend for me.

MJ was a much better elimination game and game 7 performer... Bird underperformed alot in the post-season. I dont get how one could take Bird over MJ, even if he's among the best for his last second clutchness.

BigKAT
11-28-2016, 01:41 PM
I've read article about that game (it was also posted on ISH couple of years back), journalist counted blocks himself.

Fair enough.

Pointguard
11-28-2016, 02:42 PM
So nobody is down for the Magic Johnson challenge? His incredible clutch shot video against your guy if he's carrying the load. We can do it by finals only or playoffs only. And Magic has the least amount of film than 90% of the guys mentioned.

AirFederer
11-28-2016, 06:45 PM
This guy https://instagram.com/p/BNXh9UxjEmF/

Or Bird.

Kyrie/Bron/Curry next.

Spurs5Rings2014
11-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Now if I'm looking for someone to make play/pass:
Magic Johnson
Lebron James
Tim Duncan

Baffled he wasn't mentioned more, tbh. Giving him the ball and getting out of the way in the clutch worked well even when he was an old man in 2014 en route to his final championship when the winning formula was to dump the ball to him on every possession with multiple defenders draped all over him against our most difficult rival of recent years in OKC in the finals clinching OT of Game 6 in the WCF.

:bowdown:

MrFonzworth
11-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Baffled he wasn't mentioned more, tbh. Giving him the ball and getting out of the way in the clutch worked well even when he was an old man in 2014 en route to his final championship when the winning formula was to dump the ball to him on every possession with multiple defenders draped all over him against our most difficult rival of recent years in OKC in the finals clinching OT of Game 6 in the WCF.

:bowdown:

He was pretty clutch, but never at the level of the likes of Jordan, Larry, Stockton, etc.

mr4speed
11-28-2016, 10:57 PM
So nobody is down for the Magic Johnson challenge? His incredible clutch shot video against your guy if he's carrying the load. We can do it by finals only or playoffs only. And Magic has the least amount of film than 90% of the guys mentioned.
If you have some video please share it!! Op's statement did not specifically say "last shot" but everyone tends to think that way. Magic admitted in his book "Touch" that in his early years the pecking order was Kareem, then Jamaal, then Norm, "I just got crumbs, but that was cool, thats all I wanted". But a peak Magic (his last 5 years) was a better player and had a different mindset about shooting. Show us what you have and give Magic his due!

MrFonzworth
11-28-2016, 10:58 PM
If you have some video please share it!! Op's statement did not specifically say "last shot" but everyone tends to think that way. Magic admitted in his book "Touch" that in his early years the pecking order was Kareem, then Jamaal, then Norm, "I just got crumbs, but that was cool, thats all I wanted". But a peak Magic (his last 5 years) was a better player and had a different mindset about shooting. Show us what you have and give Magic his due!

I agree, Magic is totally being overlooked. His playmaking and ball security was always on point in the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlWNU5_JVc

rmt
11-28-2016, 11:00 PM
MJ

Pointguard
11-28-2016, 11:50 PM
https://youtu.be/q8Qbo0WqvOI Start at 10:32
I posted two others earlier in the thread. There is some overlap.

Pointguard
11-28-2016, 11:58 PM
I agree, Magic is totally being overlooked. His playmaking and ball security was always on point in the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlWNU5_JVc

You're the guy that doesn't have Jordan in your top three right. Jordan made a commercial about his failures. Magic had his haters do his. Magic had that off year and it got blown way out of proportion.

mr4speed
11-29-2016, 09:23 PM
https://youtu.be/q8Qbo0WqvOI Start at 10:32
I posted two others earlier in the thread. There is some overlap.
Thank you for sharing! Most of these highlights I had seen but there were a few I had not seen. Nobody ( that I have seen) could throw bounce passes like Magic - IN TRAFFIC - and be spot on with the delivery to his teammate. He was able to see and create passes that did not seem to exist. He was truly gifted and really a gift for basketball fans!

MrFonzworth
11-29-2016, 09:26 PM
You're the guy that doesn't have Jordan in your top three right. Jordan made a commercial about his failures. Magic had his haters do his. Magic had that off year and it got blown way out of proportion.

He looked like a fish on land with the ball, dribbling out the game clock. He's had his moments, but simply didn't have the IQ to be as clutch as Stockton, Larry, Nash, etc.

Pointguard
11-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Thank you for sharing! Most of these highlights I had seen but there were a few I had not seen. Nobody ( that I have seen) could throw bounce passes like Magic - IN TRAFFIC - and be spot on with the delivery to his teammate. He was able to see and create passes that did not seem to exist. He was truly gifted and really a gift for basketball fans!

Yeah and precise 40 foot bounce passes. And the many precise leads where the recipient doesn't have to move much at all.

Pointguard
11-29-2016, 09:45 PM
He looked like a fish on land with the ball, dribbling out the game clock. He's had his moments, but simply didn't have the IQ to be as clutch as Stockton, Larry, Nash, etc.
Magic's whole career was about making it to the finals and those guys you named all together aren't close to making it nine times despite having played about three times as many games. Magic had that one weird year where he was indeed fumbling. I much would have wished Bird would have won it on his clutch play but the only time he beat Magic was when Magic beat himself.

Magic was more efficient than all of them (Stockton,Bird,Nash) because of his superior IQ and judgement. Right, how did Magic end up with better TS% than those guys - it was his smarts. But please continue.

Prometheus
11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
tbqh, kobe is the clutchest player ever by far

MrFonzworth
11-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Magic's whole career was about making it to the finals and those guys you named all together aren't close to making it nine times despite having played about three times as many games. Magic had that one weird year where he was indeed fumbling. I much would have wished Bird would have won it on his clutch play but the only time he beat Magic was when Magic beat himself.

Magic was more efficient than all of them (Stockton,Bird,Nash) because of his superior IQ and judgement. Right, how did Magic end up with better TS% than those guys - it was his smarts. But please continue.

You're bringing up pointless numbers. His IQ wasn't as great as you claim it was, as shown in the video. Please tell me what happened during that "one weird year." He just forget how to play basketball? Accidentally came across an extra chromosome that day?

Not arguing who was the better player. But players like Stock, Bird, Nash, Dirk were clearly more clutch.

Pointguard
11-29-2016, 11:11 PM
You're bringing up pointless numbers. His IQ wasn't as great as you claim it was, as shown in the video.
Bill Walton talked about Magic's quick clear headed intelligence above Birds.

Please tell me what happened during that "one weird year." He just forget how to play basketball? Accidentally came across an extra chromosome that day?
Humans have up and down lives. How old are you 12? I showed three videos and you show the aberration. You are showing one series in a two week span when a person can be off their game. Show the other years if you got the confidence. And I guarantee, you won't even try because you exist as a troll. Bird's first three years were pretty bad in the playoffs but I don't want to show it because it wasn't representative of him as a player.

Not arguing who was the better player. But players like Stock, Bird, Nash, Dirk were clearly more clutch.
Its the video age now and it wasn't when Magic played so show us where your imagination has foolishly lead you to this conclusion. Hell you can show all four in the finals together as one person and still lose. Bird in 84 was a thing of beauty. Dirk wasn't that great in the finals. Stock was very much mundane in comparison to his career.

Da_Realist
11-30-2016, 12:21 AM

The best. He made run and gun, full court basketball stylish. The 80's Lakers were the greatest show on earth. At the same time, he picked stout half-court defenses apart.

egokiller
11-30-2016, 12:27 AM
If it comes down to getting the ball into someone's hands for the last shot in a finals game, I want Horry taking the last shot. This isn't a 3 point contest. It's a high pressure game winning back to the wall, game tied in game 7 situation. Now as time passes, I'm sure we will see Kyrie immerge as even more clutch in the finals than Horry.

You either have it or you don't, and at 24 years old Kyrie has shown us that he's got it.

If it comes down to having the ball in the hands of someone to make the correct decision in a finals game, then I want the ball in MJ's hands. MJ is 4/8 in shooting the game winning/tying shot in the finals. Now this may not seem like much, but when you compare it to someone like Lebron who is 0/5 in game winning/tying shots in the finals, is rather impressive.

Now if MJ has the flu (no wait... scratch that.. we already know what MJ can do even if he has the flu) if MJ is not in the building, then Larry Bird with the honorable mention.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Bill Walton talked about Magic's quick clear headed intelligence above Birds.

Humans have up and down lives. How old are you 12? I showed three videos and you show the aberration. You are showing one series in a two week span when a person can be off their game. Show the other years if you got the confidence. And I guarantee, you won't even try because you exist as a troll. Bird's first three years were pretty bad in the playoffs but I don't want to show it because it wasn't representative of him as a player.

Its the video age now and it wasn't when Magic played so show us where your imagination has foolishly lead you to this conclusion. Hell you can show all four in the finals together as one person and still lose. Bird in 84 was a thing of beauty. Dirk wasn't that great in the finals. Stock was very much mundane in comparison to his career.

Sorry, but Stockton has never choked that hard, and has made bigger plays & hit bigger shots throughout his career. Magic is responsible for the biggest choke job of all time, while Stock hit the clutchest shot of all time.

Pointguard
11-30-2016, 12:38 AM
Sorry, but Stockton has never choked that hard, and has made bigger plays & hit bigger shots throughout his career. Magic is responsible for the biggest choke job of all time, while Stock hit the clutchest shot of all time.
:lol Awwwe, man I thought you had some fight in you. But hey, you tried.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 12:41 AM
:lol Awwwe, man I thought you had some fight in you. But hey, you tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DlH8g2B9Fw

Show me a Magic play that exceeds this, and I'll concede.

Until then, Stock > Magic

Stockton has consistently hit game winners throughout his career, and if Karl Malone didn't choke away a ring, he would be rightfully recognized as one of the most clutch shot takers of all time.

Big164
11-30-2016, 12:51 AM
Bill Russell

Da_Realist
11-30-2016, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DlH8g2B9Fw

Show me a Magic play that exceeds this, and I'll concede.

Until then, Stock > Magic

Stockton has consistently hit game winners throughout his career, and if Karl Malone didn't choke away a ring, he would be rightfully recognized as one of the most clutch shot takers of all time.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12687370&postcount=65

Lakers down one in the Garden with 7 secs to go. Magic with the junior sky hook over the outstretched hands of McHale and Parish for the win. By the way, Magic's 87 Finals is on the short list of the greatest performances of all time. You must be trolling. Stockton would have given his left nut to be the player Magic was.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 12:59 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12687370&postcount=65

Lakers down one in the Garden with 7 secs to go. Magic with the junior sky hook over the outstretched hands of McHale and Parish for the win. By the way, Magic's 87 Finals is on the short list of the greatest performances of all time. You must be trolling. Stockton would have given his left nut to be the player Magic was.

He was the better player, no doubt, but this play just doesn't cut it. The 3 over a top 3 PF to assure your franchise's first ever playoff berth is the superior play. It's close though.

LAZERUSS
11-30-2016, 01:02 AM

Are you KIDDING????

Magic was THE definition of CLUTCH. Hell, that "Tragic Johnson" you referenced, averaged an 18-8-14 and shot .560 from the field (Bird was at .488 and KAJ at .481 BTW), and with a .612 TS%.

Of course, ROOKIE Magic stepped up when Kareem went down and missed game six of the '80 Finals, and all he could do was hang a 42-15-7 game on 14-23 and 14-14 (and the next best rebounder was at 10 BTW.) He DICTATED PACE in that game, as well, and the Sixers just couldn't keep up. It was no coincidence that the Lakers had their largest margin of victory in that clinching game six. The Sixers were wore out by the end of the game.

You can go right down the list, too. In his '82 Finals he nearly averaged a triple-double. In his '87 Finals he was leading both teams in scoring, assists, hung a .541 eFG% and a .590 TS%. Just OWNED Boston in that series.

In the '88 EDF's, he hung a 21-6-13 .550 eFG%, .676 TS% Finals...against the same Piston team that held Bird to 19 ppg on a .351 just the series before.

In the '90 playoffs against the Suns, when it became obvious that the only Lakers hope was for Magic to score...he put up back-to-back 43 point games.

Magic certainly is in the discussion of Most Clutch Ever.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Are you KIDDING????

Magic was THE definition of CLUTCH. Hell, that "Tragic Johnson" you referenced, averaged an 18-8-14 and shot .560 from the field (Bird was at .488 and KAJ at .481 BTW), and with a .612 TS%.

Of course, ROOKIE Magic stepped up when Kareem went down and missed game six of the '80 Finals, and all he could do was hang a 42-15-7 game on 14-23 and 14-14 (and the next best rebounder was at 10 BTW.) He DICTATED PACE in that game, as well, and the Sixers just couldn't keep up. It was no coincidence that the Lakers had their largest margin of victory in that clinching game six. The Sixers were wore out by the end of the game.

You can go right down the list, too. In his '82 Finals he nearly averaged a triple-double. In his '87 Finals he was leading both teams in scoring, assists, hung a .541 eFG% and a .590 TS%. Just OWNED Boston in that series.

In the '88 EDF's, he hung a 21-6-13 .550 eFG%, .676 TS% Finals...against the same Piston team that held Bird to 19 ppg on a .351 just the series before.

In the '90 playoffs against the Suns, when it became obvious that the only Lakers hope was for Magic to score...he put up back-to-back 43 point games.

Magic certainly is in the discussion of Most Clutch Ever.

I wouldn't describe dribbling out the clock in a tie game as "clutch" no matter what kind of numbers he's putting up. Sure, he's had his moments, but was never on Stock's level.

Da_Realist
11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
He was the better player, no doubt, but this play just doesn't cut it. The 3 over a top 3 PF to assure your franchise's first ever playoff berth is the superior play. It's close though.

It was a jumpshot. Eddie Johnson hit a better shot than that 2 games earlier.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 01:06 AM
It was a jumpshot. Eddie Johnson hit a better shot than that 2 games earlier.

...A jumpshot over a top 3 PF that sent his team to the finals. He got it done in the clutch against tougher competition.

ISHGoat
11-30-2016, 01:06 AM
By far Lebron James. When people think of clutch, people often limit it to jacking up kobe bricks at the buzzer. Clutch is making the right play, and Lebron does that on offense and defense, not just shooting jumpers.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 01:08 AM
By far Lebron James. When people think of clutch, people often limit it to jacking up kobe bricks at the buzzer. Clutch is making the right play, and Lebron does that on offense and defense, not just shooting jumpers.

Stockton would like to have a word with you.

LAZERUSS
11-30-2016, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't describe dribbling out the clock in a tie game as "clutch" no matter what kind of numbers he's putting up. Sure, he's had his moments, but was never on Stock's level.

You find ONE example...and that's it?

So you would take Stockton's '98 Finals over any of Magic's right?

You know...the 9.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 8.7 apg on a .539 TS% Finals.

ISHGoat
11-30-2016, 01:09 AM
Stockton would like to have a word with you.

Ok but what about defense?

Da_Realist
11-30-2016, 01:14 AM
...A jumpshot over a top 3 PF that sent his team to the finals. He got it done in the clutch against tougher competition.

Magic hit his shot in the Finals to take a commanding 3-1 lead. Best player in the Finals by far. One of the best Finals performances ever. Left Bird saying, "Magic is unbelievable".

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 01:19 AM
You find ONE example...and that's it?

So you would take Stockton's '98 Finals over any of Magic's right?

You know...the 9.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 8.7 apg on a .539 TS% Finals.

Not necessarily.

But that's not what I asked in my original post, is it?

I'd rather have John Stockton take the last shot than Magic, because he's indeed the superior player in crunch time. He's simply less likely to dribble out the game clock and more likely to make the right play.

You bringing up finals numbers is irrelevant and pointless, and while I'm sure you got excited as you were copy & pasting numbers, I'm sorry to disappoint you. Stockton is more clutch than the guy who was ended by Donald Sterling.

MrFonzworth
11-30-2016, 01:21 AM
Magic hit his shot in the Finals to take a commanding 3-1 lead. Best player in the Finals by far. One of the best Finals performances ever. Left Bird saying, "Magic is unbelievable".

It didn't clinch the series though. Stockton's was superior, as it brought Utah to the finals for the first time.

Pointguard
11-30-2016, 03:53 AM
The poster is trolling or can't be taken serious because its at the level of not even being close to be taken serious. People just end up clowning the guys he's suggesting which might be what he likes.

SpreeS
11-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Reggie Miller by far. You cant defend this type of shots. Next would be Larry and Dirk...Roy was perfect too, but shits happens....MJ, Kobe, James, Curry, KD :no:

Da_Realist
11-30-2016, 07:07 AM
The poster is trolling or can't be taken serious because its at the level of not even being close to be taken serious. People just end up clowning the guys he's suggesting which might be what he likes.

This place is so overrun with ignorance and stupidity, I can't tell whether it's trolling or not. When you don't know much the only way you can consistently contribute is trolling, I guess.

Bawkish
11-30-2016, 09:12 AM
It didn't clinch the series though. Stockton's was superior, as it brought Utah to the finals for the first time.

too bad all i remember of Stockton's "clutch" was during the last 5 seconds of Game 6 of '98 NBA Finals