PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone around me crazy? (Shaq Top 10 Argument)

Springsteen
11-28-2016, 05:43 PM
I was in philosophy class (prerequisite before some of you start calling it a waste of money) and my professor was making some comparison about a concept of mental willpower and fortitude to Shaq.

He said that if Shaq had the mental fortitude to keep himself in shape rather than just relying mainly on his physical gifts, he could've been a legendary basketball player (somewhat agreeable).

I said in response, "Well, at the very least he's top 10 all time."

Everyone in the class who cared about the subject began muttering disapproval and various "no way"s in my direction, including the professor. One student who I KNOW is an avid basketball fan told me that I was tripping suggesting that.

I was completely befuddled that such a statement was crazy to suggest, but I didn't want to get the whole class off track so I let it go. I even stayed after class to argue it with the professor and a couple of other students but I just got similar results!

Am I crazy or is this what the consensus thinks of Shaq? I thought it was common knowledge he was at least top 10. :biggums: Am I losing my mind?

SouBeachTalents
11-28-2016, 05:48 PM
I've seen more than a few lists ranking Shaq outside the top 10, even SI had him 15th on their list earlier this year. Imo he is a clear cut consensus top 10 player, and to have him outside the top 10 is ludicrous

LAZERUSS
11-28-2016, 05:50 PM
I was in philosophy class (prerequisite before some of you start calling it a waste of money) and my professor was making some comparison about a concept of mental willpower and fortitude to Shaq.

He said that if Shaq had the mental fortitude to keep himself in shape rather than just relying mainly on his physical gifts, he could've been a legendary basketball player (somewhat agreeable).

Everyone in the class who cared about the subject began muttering disapproval and various "no way"s in my direction, including the professor. One student who I KNOW is an avid basketball fan told me that I was tripping suggesting that.

I was completely befuddled that such a statement was crazy to suggest, but I didn't want to get the whole class off track so I let it go. I even stayed after class to argue it with the professor and a couple of other students but I just got similar results!

Am I crazy or is this what the consensus thinks of Shaq? I thought it was common knowledge he was at least top 10. :biggums: Am I losing my mind?

With any rational arguments, he is around #7.

KungFuJoe
11-28-2016, 05:51 PM
He's top ten. Right above Lebron.

warriorfan
11-28-2016, 05:51 PM

college white boys do not know a basketball hope from their asshole

Orlando Magic
11-28-2016, 05:52 PM
If you had a magic machine that was able to rewind everyone's career to start at the same year without knowing what their futures would be... only knowing what people knew on draft day... Shaq goes #1 overall in the NBA draft. If I recall correctly everyone at the draft lottery had an O'Neal jersey already made out to match their team. That hadn't happened prior nor has it since.

And his career lived up to it.

Could he have been even better if he worked harder? I think so... almost guaranteed... which is scary.

He is undoubtedly top 10 all time and he might just have the single highest peak of any player ever in terms of dominance.

The only other team I can ever remember having a jersey prepped on the night of the LOTTERY was the Cavs with James... but with Shaq, it was every team in attendance.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2016/0906/r122844_400x600_2-3.jpg

^ THAT IS THE LOTTERY. They went into the night with a jersey for him already made up, that is insane. lol.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
11-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Your professor and classmates are idiot.s

http://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_mt7zdsIpUM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

NBAGOAT
11-28-2016, 05:58 PM
shaq has an argument for top 5. still there are 10 guys you could maybe argue over him so they're not completely crazy. still guessing their arguments mostly focused on him underachieving career wise.

Big164
11-28-2016, 06:23 PM
1. MJ
1. Wilt
3. Russell
4. KAJ
5. Shaq

Springsteen
11-28-2016, 06:42 PM
http://67.media.tumblr.com/4589887e105f7ae491ea7aff7d766c08/tumblr_mt7zdsIpUM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

first proper use of this gif :applause:

feyki
11-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Probably your prof. Know Shaq is top 10 all time . But in his speech , he's right . Shaq could've been a better career , easily . He(prof.)just want to make stronger his main point , which is irrelevant to Shaq's all time ranking .

miggyme1
11-28-2016, 07:45 PM
uhhhhhh idk mane....shaq was great but idk about top 10....he pretty close though

knicksman
11-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Anyone who has a brain knows its kobes team. He was the closer.

AintNoSunshine
11-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Shaq is without a doubt top 10.

OP needs to go to a real school

sammichoffate
11-28-2016, 08:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVI9lcWSz8

Bosnian Sajo
11-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Lmao, if Shaq ain't top ten, then who is....literally the best big man of all time outside of Kareem and Hakeem, he usually gets the nod over Hakeem purely because of team success.

I hate dumb people, I feel bad for OP. You know your shit and your classmates are dumb.

DaHeezy
11-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Lmao, if Shaq ain't top ten, then who is....literally the best big man of all time outside of Kareem and Hakeem, he usually gets the nod over Hakeem purely because of team success.
Hakeem purely out of team success? :lol
You would have sounded a tad smarter if you would have said Wilt or Russell.

Bosnian Sajo
11-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Hakeem purely out of team success? :lol
You would have sounded a tad smarter if you would have said Wilt or Russell.

Are you retarded? Do you not know how to read?

I said Shaq is listed as better than Hakeem BECAUSE OF SHAQ'S TEAM SUCCESS. He has 4 titles compared to Hakeem's 2, but Hakeem is the more skilled player...easily one of the most skilled to ever play.

How would it be smarter to say Wilt had more team success than Shaq did? How many Titles did he win doe??

****ing dumbass.

Real14
11-28-2016, 08:42 PM
He's is on my top 10 for sure.

soots
11-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Hes already legendary and top 10. But your professors right, he had a legit opportunity to dethrone MJ if he put in the effort.

Wilt and Shaq easily more athletically gifted than MJ despite MJs ridiculous hops/speed.

gigantes
11-28-2016, 08:52 PM
shaq was the best player in the league for many years, even though they only gave him one official MVP.

i agree that he was somewhat of a lazy fatass who could have been even better, but your prof is ridiculous to scoff at a top ten suggestion. he obviously didn't think this one through and you busted him on it.

Marchesk
11-28-2016, 08:54 PM
If you had a magic machine that was able to rewind everyone's career to start at the same year without knowing what their futures would be... only knowing what people knew on draft day... Shaq goes #1 overall in the NBA draft.

Shaq, Wilt, Kareem in whatever order. Even knowing everyone's future, those three still go first over MJ, Lebron, Curry. Even today.

NBAGOAT
11-28-2016, 09:26 PM
shaq with just 70% ft shooting could be considered the greatest offensive player ever.

rmt
11-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Next time ask those who disagree with you to name their top 10 and then show them how peak-wise and career wise, there aren't 10 players with better peak or career than Shaq.

LAZERUSS
11-28-2016, 09:40 PM
While there is no question that a motivated Shaq would have put up even bigger numbers, it is amazing to me to read so many that claim that he had a short prime. His prime began DAY ONE, and by his second season, he was matching his numbers that he would put up in his 2000 season. Furthermore. he was a Top-5 player in the league up until 2006...some 15 years.

And as was pointed out, he was considered the best player in the game for many seasons...arguably every year from '98-99 thru '04-05. I'll give Duncan a couple in there, but again, Shaq was ranked by GM's as the their first pick in a number of seasons in that time frame.

raprap
11-28-2016, 09:46 PM
The only people I've heard saying that shaq is outside of top 10 are hardcore kobe Stans. :confusedshrug:

CuhGetsBucks
11-28-2016, 09:57 PM
If I may ask, what school is this?

Prime_Shaq
11-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Shaq is without a shadow of a doubt Top 10, the real argument is if he is Top 5 material.

Penny37
11-28-2016, 11:05 PM
If it's at their peak then Shaq is definitely top 5.
If we're talking about career he could definitely fall out of the top 10, although I'd probably still have him in mine.

Cold soul
11-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Shaq is without a doubt top 10.

aj1987
11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Anyone who doesn't have Shaq in their top 10 is a mouth breathing retard.

4x NBA Champ
3x FMVP
1x MVP
14x All-NBA
3x All-Def
2x Scoring Champ

Career average of 24/11/3/1/2 on 59% TS in the RS.
Career average of 24/12/3/1/2 on 57% TS in the PO's.

Averaged 35/15/3/3/1 over 3 straight Finals.
Averaged 30/15/3/1/2 over 3 straight PO runs 3peating.

Shaq is top 5 dead or alive. Only people who haven't actually seen him play would say otherwise.

Dray n Klay
11-28-2016, 11:32 PM
I have Shaq at around 11th, fighting with Hakeem for that 10th spot

aj1987
11-28-2016, 11:34 PM
I have Shaq at around 11th, fighting with Hakeem for that 10th spot
Please list your top 10.

Dray n Klay
11-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Please list your top 10.

Sure.

1) Kareem
2) LeBron
3) Jordan
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Russell
7) Magic
8) Wilt
9) Jerry West
10) Hakeem
11) Shaq

:confusedshrug:

Rocketswin2013
11-28-2016, 11:48 PM
Freethrows would've done more for him than work ethic IMO. Can you imagine Shaq if he could've made 70 - 75 percent of them?

aj1987
11-28-2016, 11:59 PM
Sure.

1) Kareem
2) LeBron
3) Jordan
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Russell
7) Magic
8) Wilt
9) Jerry West
10) Hakeem
11) Shaq

West, Ilt, and Duncan over Shaq? I know that entire list is retarded AF, but West over Shaq?? :facepalm :facepalm

Young X
11-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Shaq is without a shadow of a doubt Top 10, the real argument is if he is Top 5 material.He is.

jlip
11-29-2016, 12:14 AM
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Bird
Magic
MJ
Lebron
Duncan

These eight are the only players IMO that a case could be made for them being greater than Shaq. A few of them on this list have a verrrry weak case, and I would hesitate to or simply not try to make it myself.

pedromarinho
11-29-2016, 12:22 AM
If Shaq and Kobe had continued how many rings would they get?

SouBeachTalents
11-29-2016, 12:24 AM
If Shaq and Kobe had continued how many rings would they get?

Honestly, they win 1 more at best in '06. Shaq declined greatly after that

jstern
11-29-2016, 12:54 AM
It's just the way the world works.

Here we discuss basketball all day long. We have fanboys and all. But in the discussion we have arguments and counter arguments, and counter arguments to the counter arguments, until the subject falls into place.

Outside of insidehoops I've seen people legitimately believing that Shaq was Kobe's sidekick. These are your kids, teenagers, people too young to have seen Shaq, but knew Kobe as an extremely popular superstar. And these are actual fans that follow the game, who would consider themselves true fans, but who would never do anything such as look deeper than the last couple of games they saw, or recent highlights.

Next time you go to class ask them, who was the man during those Lakers 3 championships. Check to see if they even know who won Finals MVP.

inclinerator
11-29-2016, 01:08 AM
i have him ranked 33 all time

Smook A.
11-29-2016, 01:21 AM
Yes, everyone around you is crazy. Shaq is without a doubt in the top 10

Zeppelin
11-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Anybody who thinks Shaq is not top 10 all time has never seen him play before 2004 or is medically, certifiably retarded.

Zeppelin
11-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Jordan
Wilt
KAJ
Russell
Bird
Magic
Lebron
Duncan
Shaq

These guys, in no particular order are all among the the ten greatest of all time

MrFonzworth
11-29-2016, 01:45 AM
Jordan
Wilt
KAJ
Russell
Bird
Magic
Lebron
Duncan
Shaq

These guys, in no particular order are all among the the ten greatest of all time

Take out Wilt for Hakeem.

Zeppelin
11-29-2016, 01:49 AM
Take out Wilt for Hakeem.

Not a chance. Both have 2 championships. Only one is by and far the most statistically dominant player to play the game.

Hakeem along with Kobe, Oscar is fighting for the last spot.

Prometheus
11-29-2016, 01:58 AM
They're not crazy, they just don't know basketball like that. Most people don't, even if they like the sport. You have to recognize that you're a nerd for this shit.

Some guy I work with said if LeBron retired today he hasn't done enough to be in the Hall of Fame. Another said Durant is way better than Jordan was. These are guys who watch the game and really like it too. They just use their imagination to form opinions and have no idea what the f*ck they are saying. Ignore them.

Springsteen
11-29-2016, 02:20 AM
If I may ask, what school is this?

Baruch College (Zicklin School of Business), NYC

MrFonzworth
11-29-2016, 03:53 AM
Not a chance. Both have 2 championships. Only one is by and far the most statistically dominant player to play the game.

Hakeem along with Kobe, Oscar is fighting for the last spot.

Hakeem 2 FMVP, Wilt Chamberlain 1 FMVP

Wilt played in a much weaker era, yet Hakeem still put up more PPG than Wilt in the playoffs. That should say something. If Wilt was as great as his numbers indicated, he would have more rings. 2 rings in the 90s is more significant than 2 rings in the late 60s & early 70s. Regular season numbers are overrated and, when comparing them in two different eras, isn't an appropriate decider to determine who trumps who.

Hakeem is clearly the superior player.

GimmeThat
11-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Shaq is in no way to be considered top 10 as a bodybuilder

argument about Shaq not being top 10 might also hold true, if physical gifts could play defense

Zeppelin
11-29-2016, 04:47 AM
Hakeem 2 FMVP, Wilt Chamberlain 1 FMVP

Wilt played in a much weaker era, yet Hakeem still put up more PPG than Wilt in the playoffs. That should say something. If Wilt was as great as his numbers indicated, he would have more rings. 2 rings in the 90s is more significant than 2 rings in the late 60s & early 70s. Regular season numbers are overrated and, when comparing them in two different eras, isn't an appropriate decider to determine who trumps who.

Hakeem is clearly the superior player.

Wilt was the clear FMVP in 1967, when the award was not given out. If Hakeem was as great as you say, he ought to have more than a handful of seasons as a true contender as well. Before Jordan's first retirement the best players after him were said to be Chuck, Drexler and Magic. After his return it was Shaq, Malone.
Hakeem is great, don't get me wrong. But nostalgia about what he accomplished in the two year vacuum created by Jordan has led him to be remembered as greater than he was.

CuhGetsBucks
11-29-2016, 04:51 AM
They're not crazy, they just don't know basketball like that. Most people don't, even if they like the sport. You have to recognize that you're a nerd for this shit.

Some guy I work with said if LeBron retired today he hasn't done enough to be in the Hall of Fame. Another said Durant is way better than Jordan was. These are guys who watch the game and really like it too. They just use their imagination to form opinions and have no idea what the f*ck they are saying. Ignore them.
This is facts, even the least educated poster on this site knows more about basketball than the casual fan.

StephHamann
11-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Shaq was a lazy fat bum doe

CelticBaller
11-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Sure.

1) Kareem
2) LeBron
3) Jordan
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Russell
7) Magic
8) Wilt
9) Jerry West
10) Hakeem
11) Shaq

this retard really ranked jerry west over shaq, and low key ranked Jordan 3rd

Yo someone put his helmet on before he gets hurt :roll: :roll: :roll:

DaHeezy
11-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Are you retarded? Do you not know how to read?

I said Shaq is listed as better than Hakeem BECAUSE OF SHAQ'S TEAM SUCCESS. He has 4 titles compared to Hakeem's 2, but Hakeem is the more skilled player...easily one of the most skilled to ever play.

How would it be smarter to say Wilt had more team success than Shaq did? How many Titles did he win doe??

****ing dumbass.

That's exactly what I was quoting dumbass. Saying Shaq is better due to team success is stupid to say considering Shaq is recognized as the most unstoppable force in NBA history. It doesn't matter who won what titles. The eye test is very clear.

So FU Fackface.

And yes Wilt would sound smarting considering his statistical dominance. He's argued as the GOAT from some sources. Hakeem has never even considered a top 5 and battles Kobe and Oscar just to crack the list.

So try again moron.

I swear, I think you really do believe you're some intimidating ISH Grimm Reaper. You're as frightening a a box of old newspapers. :lol . Quit playing the role and post like a normal poster.

Spurs5Rings2014
11-29-2016, 10:38 PM
While there is no question that a motivated Shaq would have put up even bigger numbers, it is amazing to me to read so many that claim that he had a short prime. His prime began DAY ONE, and by his second season, he was matching his numbers that he would put up in his 2000 season. Furthermore. he was a Top-5 player in the league up until 2006...some 15 years.

And as was pointed out, he was considered the best player in the game for many seasons...arguably every year from '98-99 thru '04-05. I'll give Duncan a couple in there, but again, Shaq was ranked by GM's as the their first pick in a number of seasons in that time frame.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Whooped that boy ass twice without Parker/Manu/rookie Parker/Manu while he had another top 12 player all-time by his side. Duncan was better than Shaq '99, '02, '03, '05 and '06 easily (Rang/higher MVP voting, H2H domination/MVP, rang/MVP, rang, still in prime/not a sidekick getting outscored by 15 PPG :oldlol: