PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Playoff bound!!!

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Ready or not! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2017, 05:47 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/13/utah-jazz-impending-free-agents-plenty-prove-playoffs/

one valid concern that exists is that at Hill’s high points, perhaps he’s been almost too good and he may end up costing more than the Jazz feel comfortable spending.

His injuries may end up costing him too?

the thought of having both he and Hayward on max contracts would make it hard to afford the additional help that Utah will certainly need if they hope to leapfrog the likes of the Spurs or Warriors in the Western Conference.

Not necessarily. Hayward at 30-35% of the cap is the scariest thing to me and not one I've heard mentioned anywhere. Everyone seems to to think they can keep him because of that but it would be similar to AK's killer contract on the team.

he had flashes of utter brilliance this season, two things that were often called into question were his durability and his consistency.

His consistency was related to his toe as far as I can tell. He's been durable most of his career. He is getting older though so it is something to consider. Healthy Hill has been better than Hayward as far as I'm concerned.

even if Hill is less than stunning in the playoffs, it’s a near-guarantee that there will be plenty of teams desperate enough out there that will be willing to throw massive amounts of money at the much-improved point guard. And based on how well or poorly Hill performs in the playoffs, the Jazz could potentially be in an extremely difficult situation when deciding whether or not to match any offers

Don't think they will necessarily have to match offers. I can't see him going to a crappy team even if it's for more money. He's a winner. He wants to play in meaningful games and no one has utilized him as well as the Jazz. If Hayward stays I think he'd want to stay unless another top team wants him and I'm not sure how many of them will have the money? If Hayward leaves I'm not sure the Jazz would want to keep him or Ingles or would he want to stay but I would hope they would for the right price of course. I think they can win without Hayward. Gobert is the key to it all.

I’d like to believe that the competitor in him would be willing to take at least some degree of a pay cut to stay with a Utah team where he has fit so well

You would hope that for all of them. Parker, Ginobli and Duncan all played for less than market value to win championships. That's what they need here. Rudy has committed to that already. Who's next?

one of Utah’s most pleasant surprises this season has been Joe Ingles. If someone had told me prior to this season’s start that the Jazz may have a hard time retaining Joe this offseason, I probably would have just laughed. Sure, he had been a nice compliment off the bench and a good glue guy in the past, but a reliable and crucial contributor? On a nightly basis? I honestly did not see that coming.

He's been great down the stretch the past two seasons so I certainly knew he could play it was just a matter of doing it from the get go and he has. I certainly thought he could be in the mix this year despite their depth but of course he has exceeded that as their 4th most important player and his value has only went up recently as he has seemed to have became the primary playmaker as long as their secondary defensive stopper and main threat from deep. Definitely the ultimate glue guy! :applause:

let’s make one thing very clear, Joe Ingles is in fact a restricted free agent, therefore Utah has complete power to retain him if they wish to do so. Other teams can extend offers to him, but if he accepts any of those, the Jazz will still have the opportunity to match and keep him on board.

that can go both ways. Sometimes those guys don't get offers because they expect the team to match and they don't want to waste their time or have their money tied up while they wait. And sometimes guys get ridiculous offers because they don't want the team to match.

With the Jazz having Hayward and Hill ahead of Ingles on their priority list and Ingles being a great fit anywhere I imagine he will get some big offers. I could definitely see him taking less to stay here especially since him and Hayward are close and he seems to be close to the coach as well.

the most important of the three players is without a doubt Gordon Hayward

I think there's doubt. Right now my money would be on a healthy Hill. You have to decide if you think Hayward can be a leader like Hill when he is the same age I guess. Right now I'd rather have a healthy Hill. I think Ingles could be more important too depending on the price tags.

perhaps the highest stake the Jazz have this postseason is doing enough as a team to convince him to stay in Utah, if they haven’t done so already.

Hayward has shown plenty of signs that he is indeed committed to staying, so hopefully an impressive showing on his part in the postseason leading to an incredible performance from the rest of his team will help lock him down long-term.

I think Hayward has to show he can step up and I have my doubts. If he doesn't how much do you want to pay him? And from his perspective I could see him wanting to go to somewhere like Boston where he wouldn't be the go to guy which I think would be a better role for him.

Don't forget Mack and Withey! If Hill goes they need to sign another vet. You would hope someone that's a better fit than Mack but considering how he's played for them he could definitely still be in the mix.

If they are able to trade Favors, which I think will have to wait until next season in the hope of him returning to form and increasing his value, than Withey could still be in the mix but ideally I think they have to look for someone that fits better.

Also after they let Diaw's option expire they may look to bring him back on a much cheaper deal. I wouldn't mind him at the end of the bench. Not in the rotation though!

The big unknown right now is how the legacy deal may affect rather they go into luxury tax territory or not. The money is all supposed to go back into the team so I'd think it's a possibility that they will be a tax team to some extent anyway

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2017, 06:05 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/13/can-the-fifth-seed-be-better-than-the-fourth-utah-jazz/

Should Derrick Favors come off the bench? Which backup point guard can defend Chris Paul and/or Austin Rivers the best?

Don't forget Neto outplayed Paul in a game last year. He will be missed at least early in the series.

These questions along with others can be answered in the first two games of the series. Having relatively low expectations lets the Jazz find out the best strategy for them to earn a series win without feeling the dread if they were to drop a home game.

There's high expectations regardless. The Clippers have the same road and home splits as the Jazz and until recently the Jazz had played better on the road. But I can't see being 5th seed better in any way especially with an inexperienced team like this one.

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2017, 06:22 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5174907-155/monson-the-jazz-now-seek-a

Hayward was particularly overwhelmed. He played 123 minutes in the four games, averaging 7.3 points. He took 33 shots and made six. He went 1-for-12 on deep balls, and, in total, hit just 18 percent from the floor. Favors was a bit better, making 41 percent of his attempts and hauling 38 boards. Burks played a minor role.

Hayward's came a long ways since then and hopefully Hill can take some of the load off and he'll play well but I'm doubtful. Would sure take 10 boards a game from Favors now!

The Jazz back then had some promising young talent on their roster — Hayward was in his second year, Favors in his second, Enes Kanter was a rookie — but the team was dominated by a mishmash of veterans, such as Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, CJ Miles, Devin Harris, Jamaal Tinsley, and Raja Bell. It was as though the roster had been put together by the tipping of a junk drawer and gathering in the loose parts. The effectiveness of the group, the plan for its future seemed … jangled.

The biggest problem was that they were built around Jefferson instead of Millsap. Should have gotten a real center to play next to the future all-star not Jefferson. Harris could have been good off the bench like the role he plays now.

The Jazz face the Clippers with a collection of burgeoning talent, with a rock-steady future that, if they retain their key parts, will continue to ascend over the next five seasons.

Big if. This could be as good as it gets which is why I don't understand not being all in. Yes they are young. But they are about to get too expensive to keep everyone.

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2017, 06:33 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677729/We-looked-at-all-the-Utah-Jazz-Los-Angeles-Clippers-games-this-season-Heres-what-we-learned.html

Rivers is very good against Utah, and he could miss at least part of the first round with a strained hamstring.

Some good news! :D

the Jazz played incredibly well and won this game by just six points. The Clippers just have so many players who can make shots, which is challenging for even a team that is as good defensively as Utah.

The biggest problem has been that the Clippers have came to play like it meant something which they have. The Jazz only showed up once.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 09:42 AM
https://theundefeated.com/features/utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-is-coming-to-the-playoffs/

Sounds a lot like Rudy except Rudy wouldn't have been backing up Smits!:lol

Too bad we didn't get to see him in the NBA

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 10:16 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677782/Derrick-Favors-is-ready-for-playoffs-and-will-play-any-role-he-is-asked.html

[QUOTE]Snyder hasn

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 05:59 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677814/Hayward-and-Gobert-The-new-Stockton-and-Malone.html

[QUOTE]Gobert deserves some of the credit for opening things up for Hayward because of his offensive improvement. Lindsey pointed out the French player

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:04 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5178850-155/utah-jazz-the-clippers-have-home-court

"We've lost at home about every playoff series, or something like that," point guard Chris Paul said this week.

In 2012, the San Antonio Spurs won two in a row at Staples Center to bounce the Clippers from the second round of the playoffs. In 2014, the Oklahoma City Thunder celebrated a decisive Game 6 victory on the Clippers' home court.

Paul's teams have also suffered home playoff defeats to the Memphis Grizzlies in 2013, the Houston Rockets in 2015, and the Portland Trail Blazers last season.

Sounds good! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:08 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5171437-155/utah-jazz-for-gordon-hayward-and

"All the veterans can do at this point is try to lead by example," Hill said. "There's nothing we can tell them about. They are going to have to experience it for themselves and go through it."

Let's hope you set the example you did before you hurt your toe! They might actually have a chance.

"The first time around, it was all Paul and Al. Our offense was to throw it into the post and cut off those two.

It was actually just throw it into Al and count how many pump fakes before he put it up! :rant

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:14 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5171350-155/utah-jazz-quin-snyder-to-test

Lindsey's biggest move since coming to Salt Lake City has arguably been the hire of Quin Snyder as his head coach. Snyder is the one who has taken the talent and molded it into a cohesive unit, managed egos, made difficult rotation decisions and developed the younger players.

Please! This is like those that try to give Jerry the credit for John and Karl's greatness. Again without Rudy he might be looking for a job again

Snyder will have a worthy adversary in Clippers coach Doc Rivers, a well-respected veteran in the profession who won a NBA title as Boston Celtics coach.

Another great example! Boston sucked in the east despite Pierce before Garnett and Allen arrived. Look at the talent he has now! They should be one of the top teams in the league not 4th seed.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:20 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5168644-155/utah-jazz-derrick-favors-thinks-he

Favors has hardly been himself. A year removed from All-Star consideration, when he was averaging better than 16 points and eight rebounds per game

all-star? :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:24 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5169653-155/kragthorpe-jazzs-first-playoff-win-will

And then the Jazz were swept by the Lakers in the Western Conference semifinals. The restructuring of the roster began that summer when Gordon Hayward was drafted and Boozer, Wesley Matthews and Kyle Korver left as free agents.

Imagine Matthew, Millsap and Demarre as part of their rebuild. :rant

Hayward's avenue to an NBA title would be easier elsewhere than in the West, where the Jazz always will have to deal with Golden State.

Hayward logically needs some proof that the Jazz can compete with the Warriors in the coming years. The only way that will become apparent is if the Jazz beat the Clippers in the first round, then play well against Golden State in the West semifinals.

I think the question is can Hayward win a title as the go to guy. The answer is no so Boston as the #2 guy makes perfect sense

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:27 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5170233-155/monson-the-jazz-and-their-arena

One thing to watch will be Snyder's rotation. Often, coaches shorten their rotations in the playoffs, limiting them to somewhere around eight players. But a strength of the Jazz this season, as evidenced in the last week of the season with the win at Golden State, when three starters couldn't go, has been their depth. Contributions have come from nearly every corner. With the starters essentially healthy again, and with the usefulness of the backups evident, who sits now? Who will come off the bench and when, for how long?

He's already shortened it. Burks was benched. Only other move I see is hopefully Exum benched. He's not ready! They aren't deep!

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:40 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5168624-155/utah-jazz-after-years-of-struggles

"Look, if I was in your seat, I couldn't do this," Lindsey recalled O'Connor telling him. "I couldn't intentionally rebuild. But I'm telling you it's the right thing to do."

We know Kevin! :banghead:

"Rudy Gobert is not here today unless Kevin O'Connor is part of our organization," Lindsey said. "Greg and Steve Miller didn't know me and I was asking them to do something they had never done before because I really wanted the guy. Kevin was able to saddle up and explain the rationale why. Thank the Lord he was in the room."

Yay Kevin! The Miller's hired him. Why would they do that if they weren't confident in him doing the job? :confusedshrug:

It took the Hall of Fame point guard five seasons to become a starter in Utah

Was the 3rd I believe. Typical Jazz idiocy. First time I saw him I thought they should have traded Rickey Green. He had value. They ended up losing him in an expansion draft for nothing! :rant

Lindsey sees some of the same things now in Hayward, whom Jazz officials threw into the fire four years ago and have watched emerge as an All-Star ready to lead his team into the playoffs.

"There's a similar path," Lindsey said.

Please! Stockton was awesome from day 1. Hayward was a good player from day 1.

I think the cool thing about us is guys have a lot of room to improve and we can still get a lot better. So that's the exciting part."

that was the case but now everyone needs to be paid

Snyder has helped turn the Jazz into one of NBA's stingiest defensive units (third-best overall), while helping transform Hayward and Gobert into All-NBA candidates. That, while dealing with an injury depleted squad for most of the season, should be enough to earn him some Coach of the Year votes.)

:facepalm

"Quin's done an unbelievable job to get us to 50 given what's happened," Lindsey said.

Given you didn't improve the team with the cap space or exception? :rant

[QUOTE]This time last year, the lockers in Vivint Smart Home Arena had been cleared out, and Lindsey couldn't help but feel responsible.

The Jazz had missed out on the postseason, despite an injury-plagued season that saw Gobert, Favors and Alec Burks all miss substantial time.

"To be honest, last year was a disappointment," Lindsey said. "There were more wins on the table.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 06:47 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5169326-155/utah-jazz-mailbag-how-do-they

The Jazz have to shoot well. They have to play offense well. They have to defend well. They have to coach well.

They have to show up to play which only happened once.

Gordon Hayward has to be a central figure. Rudy Gobert has to play well against DeAndre Jordan. George Hill has to at least slow down Chris Paul. Quin Snyder has to outcoach Doc Rivers.

Hill has to play like he did early in the year. I don't Hayward having a big series. Rudy will hold his own. Out coaching Doc shouldn't be that tough but we'll see.

What you typically see in a playoff series is teams going with their regular-season rotations then making adjustments as needed.

And that's one difference between Snyder and Sloan. He will try new things. Rather they are the right things remains to be seen

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 07:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/11/first-round-playoff-series-preview-la-clippers-vs-utah-jazz

Can Gordon Hayward force the Clippers to make constant adjustments? In three games against the Clippers (he missed one with injury) this season, Hayward was dangerous in only one (a 27-point effort in a 114-108 win in March 13). The Clippers don’t offer a strong, athletic swingman to put him on lockdown. Utah will require Hayward to score either at his average or beyond to give coach Doc Rivers some headaches. Otherwise it could be a short series.

says it all

Can George Hill keep his dream season going? Anyone who thought Hill would be this impactful on the Jazz was perhaps kidding himself. And yet Hill’s first season in Utah ranks as one of the season's bigger surprises. With the Jazz hurting for clever and steady point guard play since Deron Williams left, Hill came and stabilized the position. But now, Paul looms.

I think it's about what could have been hoped for in terms of pure numbers. The numbers he put up pre toe problems couldn't have been hoped for though nor the injuries.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 08:00 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...er-rudy-gobert

When I watch DeAndre, I watch the way he sets screens. This summer, I wanted to be one of the best screeners in the game, and you study and take things from these players.

thanks DeAndre!

What do you think when you hear your general manager Dennis Lindsey say that they want you to be the Utah Jazz's version of Bill Russell?

Gobert: That means that they want to win games. Bill Russell is one of the greatest players of all time. I've never been a big fan of comparisons. It's a totally different era, a different time, but he's a guy that won 11 championships. I wouldn't be mad if that happens to me.

Rudy!

ESPN.com: Are you convinced that you can win a championship with Gordon Hayward as your go-to guy and the core that you have in place?

Gobert: I'm convinced that we can win a championship as a team, yeah. It's not about who the go-to guy is. Gordon is a big part of our team.

Love the guy. All about team and wins!

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 08:17 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2017-five-things-to-know-about-the-clippers-jazz-series/

The funny and frustrating thing about Utah is it is the most effective transition team in the league. Per Synergy Sports, it averages 1.217 points per possession in transition. It also only used 9 percent of its possessions that way, which is less than every team in the NBA aside from the extremely deliberate Dallas Mavericks (8.8 percent). As a point of reference, the Warriors finished second at 1.207 PPP, but they were in transition a league-high 18.5 percent of the time.

run more?

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 08:18 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/14/utah-jazz-sloan-gobert-bolomboy-win-state-sport-awards/

Rudy! :bowdown:

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2017, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE]Tim MacMahon: Backup PG Raul Neto (out, left ankle sprain) is the only player on the Jazz injury report entering their series against the Clippers.

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Marc Stein: NBA dunk leaders for the season that just finished: DeAndre Jordan 253; Rudy Gobert 235; Dwight Howard 199; Giannis Antetokounmpo 199

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 02:03 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677858/Jazz-Clippers-Who-has-the-edge-in-postseason-matchup.html

[QUOTE]Utah's litany of injury woes forced Snyder to juggle his lineup on an almost daily basis.

But that may have actually been a blessing in disguise to the Jazz because the absence of Favors, Hill and Hood, among others, for long stretches of time allowed guys who were expected to primarily come in off the bench

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 02:08 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677837/Jazz-arent-only-made-of-playoff-newbies.html

I wouldn't expect much from Diaw. Hopefully a few solid minutes each half anyway. Hill has to be huge and Johnson has to play a big role as well.

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677884/Los-Angeles-Clippers-Jazz-defense-poses-a-problem.html

"When you play in the playoffs and the game slows down just a tad, it makes a great defensive team even greater," Rivers said. "That poses a problem for anybody."

The question is can it get any slower for the Jazz than it already has been? Could be a good or bad thing for the Jazz. We'll soon see

The Clippers plan to concentrate their defensive focus on point guard George Hill and 7-foot-1 center Rudy Gobert.

Good plan. Not even worried about Hayward! :cry:

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 02:47 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677862/How-a-series-of-savvy-moves-patience-discipline-and-luck-transformed-the-Jazz-into-something.html

[QUOTE]the franchise proactively traded away Deron Williams, not knowing if he'd stay in free agency, following Jerry Sloan

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 02:52 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865677878/Jazz-coach-players-want-to-enjoy-playoff-experience.html

[QUOTE]Snyder wouldn

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 03:07 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5169668-155/utah-jazz-gordon-haywards-status-clouds

General manager Dennis Lindsey will have to deal with the possibility of losing forward Gordon Hayward and point guard George Hill from the roster he has constructed.

Ingles has to be mentioned too!

Boston also would be appealing to Hayward, for multiple reasons. The Celtics' Brad Stevens coached him for two years at Butler University, where they established close ties. Boston also is in the Eastern Conference, with less competition to reach the NBA Finals than in the West.

And they will spend money. They have more young talent and more on the way. I wouldn't blame him for leaving

The Jazz acquired Hill last summer to upgrade themselves at point and would have to retool the position if he departs. They may choose to do something before free agency begins July 1, such as trading for another point guard around the time of the NBA draft in late June.

Just a guess or have you heard something? I hope they do something with what cap space they will have left after they give everyone on the team a raise for not paying the minimum cap amount so I can stop being pissed off about it. Hill will be hard to replace. He fits perfectly

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 03:22 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43871509&nid=304&title=utah-jazz-mailbag-talent-gap-between-the-jazz-and-the-clippers

[QUOTE]Andy Larsen: One exercise I tried in an attempt to figure this out was rank the players from best to worst in the series, from 1 to 20, based on current form. Here

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 03:31 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43873786&nid=304&title=previewing-jazz-vs-clippers-position-by-position-small-forward

Of all five positions, this is where the Jazz find themselves with a clear advantage: All-Star Gordon Hayward against the Clippers' rotating cast of small forward options, all of which aren't starting caliber, and most of which aren't even bench caliber.

And yet they have shut Hayward down in all but one game.

Paul Pierce is now old, your dad on a basketball floor. He can't defend anymore, he can't create separation for his own shot anymore, and he's not such a good catch-and-shoot guy that it makes sense to keep him on the floor. That's why he's only played in 25 games all year long.

They're saving him for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do something

That leaves Luc Mbah a Moute, who has started 76 games at the small forward spot for the Clippers. He actually has been a key to the dominant Clippers starting lineup, for two reasons: stellar wing defense and better-than-expected shooting. That starting lineup has played 871 minutes this season, and outscores opponents by 15.1 points per 100 possessions. It's the key to the Clippers' success.

And it's the defense that Mbah a Moute provides that has bothered Utah the most. Gordon Hayward had one great game against the Clippers this year, and it's no coincidence that it was the matchup in which Mbah a Moute found himself in foul trouble early. Hayward finished with 27 points on 9-18 shooting. Again, no coincidence: that's the only game the Jazz won against the Clippers in the regular season.

In the other two games (Hayward missed October's game due to a broken finger), Hayward scored only 10 points per game and shot just 25 percent from the field. It's entirely due to Mbah a Moute. In those three games, when he's on the court, Hayward shot 32 percent from the floor, and the Jazz were outscored by 8 points per 100 possessions. When someone else was guarding him, he shot 54.5 percent, and the Jazz outscored the Clippers by 4.3 points per 100 possessions.

How? Basically, Mbah a Moute's length gives him real problems. Like here, Hayward catches the ball right under the basket. Against most defenders, Hayward would have no problem with going up and scoring here, or at least drawing a foul. But Mbah a Moute just keeps one hand annoyingly vertical, preventing Hayward from doing anything but taking a difficult fallaway, even with that position.

advantage non all-star :banghead:

So, what do the Jazz do? There are a couple of schools of thought here. First, just as they did in Game 3 of the regular season, you could try to get Mbah a Moute in foul trouble early. It might work, just as it did then.

He doesn't generally get into foul trouble so good luck with that plan! What Hayward does is step up like so called all-stars are supposed to do!

Another alternative is to use Hayward as a decoy, playing 4-on-4 on offense as Hayward stays in a corner or even further out. You'd have to be very confident in Hill, Hood, Favors (or Johnson), and Gobert to generate good looks, though. They probably can do this approach with Johnson spacing the floor and Hill and Hood at their best. Unfortunately, that's rarely consistently been true.

That should be the plan. You would hope Hill can take a lot of pressure off of the all-star like he has when healthy.

If he can cut and finish through contact, work hard on the glass, and set up teammates when the Clippers key on him, he can be Utah's best player. If he's successfully slowed, though, the Jazz's job becomes nearly impossible.

Wouldn't count on it. They have their hands full in this series

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 03:41 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43872717&nid=304&title=previewing-jazz-vs-clippers-position-by-position-shooting-guard

Though some fans won't like to admit it, J.J. Redick is the best player of the shooting guards above.

Crawford probably is against the Jazz but I'd take Ingles over any of them any day. He does too many things.

Alec Burks won't play other than garbage time or in desperate emergencies. He's shooting less than 40 percent from within 3 feet of the rim. Getting Burks layups isn't good offense, and while he's a better 3-point shooter than even he thinks, he's such a mess defensively or in a team concept that he's really hard to put on the floor. That's why Dante Exum has been playing minutes at the backup SG spot recently. Keeping Exum off the ball probably leads to a higher standard of decision-making on the court, and defensively he's definitely big enough to stay with most matchups.

Burks biggest problem is that they've tried to change his game and have him thinking too much. He's an instinctive player. Need to just let him play. They let Hood play that way but not Burks. Seems like he doesn't get calls at the rim for some reason either. He's been pounding the glass. Dante is playing because he is their wonder boy. I'll take Alec over Dante anyday. He's not ready!

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 03:48 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43866414&nid=304&title=previewing-jazz-vs-clippers-position-by-position-point-guard

Here's one thing that's for sure, though. Hill is the only healthy Jazz point guard who can consistently guard Paul. Mack is just too slow. He struggles at screen navigation and lateral movement, and Paul will tear you to shreds if that's the case. Exum's length could theoretically bother Paul's shots, but Exum has the same screen navigation problem, plus a penchant of fouling frequently. Paul's excellent at baiting contact and getting to the line. Neto could guard him fairly well if he were at 100 percent, but given his sprained ankle, his status is certainly in doubt for the early parts of this series.

Neto outplayed him in a game last year. Probably his best game. Hopefully he'll return later next week

If I'm Quin Snyder, I play Hill for exactly as long as Paul plays, and Mack (or another backup) when Felton plays. Paul will still win the matchup, but Hill makes every shot, pass and dribble harder for the Clippers' star. On offense, Hill's clever movement makes him a tough cover. Paul is probably the series' best player, but Hill at close to peak performance can make the matchup closer than many would expect. That might make Hill less effective offensively, but keeping Paul in check would be huge for the Jazz's chances in the series.

I'd look to play Hill more if he's able especially when Neto can play alongside him and maybe take Paul on some possessions. Hill has to play big!

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 04:19 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/prediction-roundtable-playoff-edition-jazz-vs-clippers/

Utah is still a young team on an upward trajectory

Might not get better than this year. that's reality.

They might get another shot, but if not now, when for the Clips?

Could be even more true for the Jazz. The Clippers have the money to keep their guys together if they want. Jazz don't

If guards get dumb fouls on Paul, Rudy gets into foul trouble or just the count gets out of hand the Clippers could cruise through this series.

doubt it's much of an issue

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 04:34 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-clippers-battle-of-the-bigs/

Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan are slightly better than Rudy Gobert and either Derrick Favors or Joe Johnson, because Blake is very, very good. However, once either of them sits the Jazz should have a huge advantage. Bench minutes will decide which unit of big men wins this series.

huge advantage over Speights? Bass doesn't suck either. After Rudy Jazz have a lot of inconsistency.

I’m expecting the Clippers playing small basically whenever Jordan sits. I have to assume they play small and have Luc or Blake guard Rudy. Then on the other side they pull Rudy out of the paint with Mbah a Moute or force him to guard Blake.

Their lack of quality backup is countered by using a big to pull Rudy toward the perimeter.

Snyder will probably pull Rudy when Jordan comes out. Otherwise they will try to take him out of the paint

Popular opinion is that Joe Johnson is getting huge minutes. Look at him getting at least 28 minutes per game with the rest.

Hasn't shown he can be effective in big minutes anymore

If Favors is actually healthy this will be a three-man rotation, but I still think Jazz coach Quin Snyder stays light on him.

What do you mean actually healthy? He's played 20 some odd minutes all year when he's played. I'd expect the same

The scenario above leaves about 10 minutes. Boris Diaw, Joel Bolomboy and Jeff Withey have played real minutes recently, but I’m assuming these last 10 will be split between Joe Ingles and Gordon Hayward.

Bolomboy won't even be dressed sadly. I think he could have helped him. Big opportunity missed and considering how much they love to play young guys that aren't ready sucks! Hayward hasn't played the 4 all year. I'd hope they would go with him and Ingles but Diaw starts and gets a few minutes at the beginning of each half anyway

I think we see some mad scientist stuff from Snyder in the playoffs. Lineups like George Hill, Rodney Hood, Ingles, Hayward and Johnson while DeAndre sits could be awesome.

doubt it

Ignore these names this series: Brandon Bass, Brice Johnson and Diamond Stone for L.A. with Trey Lyles, Joel Bolomboy and Jeff Withey for the Jazz. None of them should see the court, I mean literally they should be blindfolded and can only react on sound.

Withey and Bass could very well play.

Can DeAndre Jordan match Rudy’s intensity?

an Rudy match Deandre's should be the question

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 04:40 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-clippers-the-wings-take-flight/

[QUOTE]The Jazz have quietly turned into an exceptional three-point shooting team. Hayward, Johnson, and Ingles are all at 40% or better, and Hood isn

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-vs-clippers-previewing-the-point/

[QUOTE]if that March 13 win shows anything, it

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:14 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/14192186/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-george-hill-joe-johnson-boris-diaw-joe-ingles-three-wise-men

[QUOTE]The move to go from a

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:22 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/14192260/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-blake-griffin-jj-redick-rudy-gobert-gordon-hayward

10. The Gordon Hayward backdoor lob

It's been scouted now and hasn't been very effective recently

[QUOTE]28. Rudy Gobert freaks everyone out
I mentioned this in the most recent Pictures Video, but it

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:30 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/14192284/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-chris-paul-blake-griffin-deandre-jordan-lineups

Line-up 1: What should have been

According to the media notes submitted by the Jazz to NBA.com these are not the guys starting Game 1.

:cheers:

These are the guys that we all though should be starting this season together, though.

not all. Hood is a 6th man

It is one that goes Neto - Exum - Johnson - Joel Bolomboy - Favors

Doubt Bolomboy is dressed though I'd dress him befoe Lyles. Hohnson won't be at the 3 either. Takes away his advantages

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:34 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/14194640/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-meaningless-20-games-gordon-hayward-rudy-gobert

not sure that makes things look any better. been dominated this year

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/15/14246564/nba-playoffs-2017-boston-celtics-utah-jazz-free-agency-gordon-hayward-rudy-gobert

[QUOTE]But Hayward is the face of this franchise. He

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 05:54 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/14/14812006/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-roster-breakdown-chris-paul-rudy-gobert

[QUOTE]After all at the combine he was measured at 7

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 06:00 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/15/raul-neto-out-for-game-one-everyone-else-is-available/

Neto suffered a sprained ankle against Portland earlier this month. Although he had been playing well, even if he was healthy, he may not have been in the rotation regardless. Quin Snyder has decided to roll with Shelvin Mack for the most part as backup point guard.

Mack only got a shot because Neto got hurt. Neto should've and I think would've been the guy as much as it hurts the Dante lovers and front office and coach. Will be interesting to see who else doesn't dress if Neto returns. I'd think Lyles but who knows

[QUOTE]George Hill, Rodney Hood and Derrick Favors, all guys who recently returned from injury, will likely see a bump in minutes now that we

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2017, 06:10 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/14/utah-jazz-keys-to-a-first-round-victory-over-the-la-clippers/

[QUOTE]Considering the Clippers trio of proven All-Stars and their stark advantage in postseason experience, it

WayOfWad3
04-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Fun game one, finished watching it in a JCW's. That blows about Gobert though, I'm going to assume that he's out for the rest of the series and maybe more. No too surprised that Hayward shot 7/18, I think we should expect more of that for the series. Favors looked good, but clearly isn't in his last-season form and probably won't be until next year. Clippers are definitely favored without Gobert

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Clippers were already favored.

If Favors can play like that maybe they can still give them a series. Glad Exum didn't play but with Mack struggling(not to mention Hood) why not Alec?

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 05:12 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43889089&nid=304&title=the-triple-team-3-thoughts-on-jazzs-game-1-win-after-joe-johnson-buzzer-beater

Jamal Crawford is one of the 10 worst defenders in the NBA. Second, Joe Ingles recognized this, and wanted to get a switch so that Crawford was the one guarding Johnson, the ball-handler and Utah's best scorer Saturday night.

I asked Ingles what he was thinking on that play.

"Obviously, with Blake on him, it's not as easy to back down, or get to the spot he wants to get to. I knew Jamal was on me, and thought if I can, I'd try to make them switch," Ingles said. "They'd been switching a lot one through four, and so I set a half-decent screen. They switched it, and we got him with eight seconds to go with an iso."

Think about how smart this is! The Jazz didn't really have a play call here that they were planning on. It was just the players involved, especially Ingles, noting the situation in three seconds and sprinting over to set a screen to give Johnson enough time to take advantage. It's incredible.

Again, credit should also go to Snyder for believing in his players to get a good shot. Timeouts generally hurt the offensive team there, not help them. Snyder's actually one of the best coaches in the league at drawing plays after a timeout, he was fourth last year at 0.95 points per possession.

That's certainly well short of the value of a no-timeout, semi-transition possession that the Jazz got. Even after a made basket with no timeout this year, the Jazz are at 1.05 points per possession.

"Getting the ball in at that point is difficult," Ingles said, when I asked him about going with no timeout. "There's holding, it's for the game. We feel like we've got smart enough players to get a good shot off without calling one. On that one, coach trusted us to get a good shot off, and we got a layup."

Ingles is their coach on the floor! :bowdown:

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 06:31 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/16/wake-rudy-goberts-injury-utah-jazz-now-need-derrick-favors-ever/

Before Favors had to deal with nagging knee injuries this season, he was a beast. He was once considered an elite interior defender, able to protect the rim at a high level and hold his own when switching onto smaller guards on the pick and roll. He was also once a big-time finisher when rolling to the rim, and would often times out-muscle opponents in the low post for devastating dunks.

I know this has been said all season long, but if the Jazz can get that version of Derrick Favors back for the playoffs, it could be the missing link in the Jazz morphing from a good NBA team to a great one that can contend for a title.

They're not getting that guy though. If they can get the guy from yesterday they ought to ecstatic!

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 06:43 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245633/Tactical-Quandaries-Clippers-Vs-Jazz-Series-Preview

The Jazz could also get creative and try to force switches by having their wings screen for each other either on or off the ball, and then dump the ball in the post if Crawford winds up on Joe Johnson or Gordon Hayward.

they called it! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Aaron Falk: Joe Johnson: we can’t be overconfident. Game 2 is going to be a lot tougher than Game 1 – via Twitter tribjazz

Jody Genessy: Joe Johnson: “It’s great to see Rudy walking around. He looks normal. Hopefully we’ll get him back.” – via Twitter DJJazzyJody

They stole one. Next one should be a lot tougher.

The question is how effective can Rudy be even if he does return. No need to rush him back if he can't help them. Looking for Bolomboy to maybe get a shot while he's out though!

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE]Doc Rivers unloads on reporter asking about late-game strategy:

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE]David Locke: Doc Rivers

Xiao Yao You
04-16-2017, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE]ESPN Stats & Info‏: Joe Johnson has now made an NBA-best 8 game-winning buzzer-beaters (reg season and playoffs) in the last 10 seasons.

WayOfWad3
04-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Clippers were already favored.

If Favors can play like that maybe they can still give them a series. Glad Exum didn't play but with Mack struggling(not to mention Hood) why not Alec?
True. And they aren't going to give Alec (or Trey Lyles) a run because they have been beyond horrible for the better part of two months. Alec in particular cannot hit a layup to save his life, or make a three point shot. He's less than average at mid range and so it's better to have an injured Hood out there. At least George Hill looked pretty good in Game 1

WayOfWad3
04-16-2017, 07:47 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/16/wake-rudy-goberts-injury-utah-jazz-now-need-derrick-favors-ever/

They're not getting that guy though. If they can get the guy from yesterday they ought to ecstatic!
The writers are fools for even considering a healthy Derrick Favors. What we saw yesterday was a blessing and we'll be lucky to get it again. If anything we should be hoping Withey can do a good job in the time he's going to be getting

WayOfWad3
04-16-2017, 07:48 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245633/Tactical-Quandaries-Clippers-Vs-Jazz-Series-Preview

they called it! :applause:
It would have to be Johnson. Something the Clippers (and most teams in general do for some reason) is double Hayward whenever he's in the post even though he's far from the Jazz's greatest post threat. They let Johnson do what he wants though

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 10:57 AM
True. And they aren't going to give Alec (or Trey Lyles) a run because they have been beyond horrible for the better part of two months. Alec in particular cannot hit a layup to save his life, or make a three point shot. He's less than average at mid range and so it's better to have an injured Hood out there. At least George Hill looked pretty good in Game 1

Burks couldn't get a call. I think he can help them still if they let him play his game like they do with Hood and Joe Johnson. They've got him thinking too much. He was scoring and rebounding when they played him.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:00 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat/...rt-joe-johnson

[QUOTE]Yeah, the Boston Celtics didn

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:01 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/16/136...aw-george-hill

Rudy doesn't appear to be walking with a limp to me! Might play tomorrow?

[QUOTE]Rodney Hood shot only 2/7 in this game. But he

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:03 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5183881...atus-uncertain

Can Utah push on and win without Gobert long-term? That is now the dominant question as the series moves on to Tuesday night's Game 2.

Can't see it unless Hayward and Hood step up and they are firing on all cylinders and even then I'm not sure they have enough especially if the Clippers are getting Rivers back for game 3. I wonder how much Favors will even have left after the last one.

Assuming Gobert is out on Tuesday, a lot of responsibility will fall on Favors, who played one of his best games in months Saturday night.

Might have been his best game all season. He was done by the end of it though so it will be interesting to see how he responds on 3 days rest

I didn't have any pain in my knee, no discomfort. I was just a little fatigued."

great news if true.

The Jazz have survived a major injury this season to most of their main players not named Gordon Hayward.

Hayward's was major it just happened in pre-season luckily so he didn't miss many games

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:04 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5184043...moutes-defense

Believe Mbah a Moute is a free agent too. I imagine he'll be on the Jazz list if they have some money available

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:04 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5184039...doesnt-want-to

Jazz coach Quin Snyder, with Rudy Gobert likely out for Game 2, said the Jazz will have to embrace a pack mentality in rebounding the ball. Gobert usually gobbles up most of the defensive rebounds. Without Gobert, everyone will have to help, like Gordon Hayward did by grabbing 10 in Game 1.

"We lost one of the best rebounders in the NBA," Snyder said. "So we're going to have to change our approach."

Burks taking minutes from Mack and Hood if they are struggling again? He pounds the glass.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:05 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ts-injury.html

It took an All-Star performance of 19 points, 10 rebounds and three assists from Gordon Hayward,

Come on already! He did some things but I wouldn't call it an all-star performance when you aren't hitting shots

Gobert even said on Twitter that he was trying to crawl back on defense after the injury happened.

that was something to see. What a competitor!

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Rudy Gobert: All my condolences to @Isaiah_Thomas

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:06 AM
I just finished watching the game. Favors was done by the end of it. Hopefully 3 days off is enough for him. 32 minutes was too much obviously. Bolomboy may be able to help them next game.

Need Hood to step up or give Burks a shot. Overall that might be the best they've played as a team yet though. Not sure if it will be enough without Rudy.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:11 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2017-10-players-who-have-the-most-to-prove-this-postseason/

Here are the players with the most to prove this postseason.
Rudy Gobert C / Utah
The Stifle Tower added offense to his game without suffering on the defensive end -- in fact, his defense got even better. Gobert led the league in defensive win shares and blocks while raising his scoring average nearly five points to 14.0 per game. He's becoming one of the best all-around centers in the league, but he needs to prove that he can do it in the playoffs before we can put his name alongside the game's best centers.

Confident he will if he gets healthy

many still don't think he can be the best (or even second-best) player on a championship team. A strong performance in his first trip to the playoffs against an experienced Clippers team would do wonders to shake that label -- and help shape his free-agency decision this summer. He'll likely get a max contract anyway, but if Hayward can prove he can be "the guy," he might be more willing to stay in Utah as the primary scorer rather than heading to, say, Boston to share the ball with a ball-dominant guard like Isaiah Thomas. And the better he performs in the playoffs, the more teams that will bid for his services.

Yep. I don't think he's a number 1 option. Boston makes lots of sense for him. Do the Jazz want to give him 30-35% of the cap?

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:16 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/16/nba-playoffs-clippers-problems-blake-griffin-jazz-joe-johnson

[QUOTE]Gobert

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 11:38 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/16/13609432/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-injury-update-los-angeles-clippers-lakers-larry-nance-favors

[QUOTE]That

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE] the one individual who is most capable of filling Gobert

WayOfWad3
04-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Gobert is still getting his reps in
https://mobile.twitter.com/utahjazz/status/854062379398606848/video/1

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Cool he looks good there. Got some bounce in him. He'll be back at some point in the series. Hopefully game 3!

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE]Ingles will be a restricted free agent this summer and figures to get a hefty pay raise from the $4.3 million he

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Aaron Falk: Hayward said the Jazz have gone through a lot of adversity this year and that they are stronger for it

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 05:11 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43912552&nid=294&title=ben-anderson-5-things-we-learned-from-the-jazzs-first-playoff-victory

Winning on the road, against a star-studded frontcourt featuring Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, without Gobert proves the Jazz frontcourt can compete with anyone in the league.

for one game anyway. that's 8-15 without him the past two years though

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43912552&nid=294&title=ben-anderson-5-things-we-learned-from-the-jazzs-first-playoff-victory

[QUOTE]He

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 05:29 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43906002&nid=304&title=jazz-practice-rudy-gobert-walks-derrick-favors-fighting-fatigue

Raul Neto has been upgraded to questionable for Game 2, still recovering from a left ankle sprain. He was moving well during the portions of practice we observed. I am curious, though, if he'll make the 13-man active roster. The Jazz had been sitting Joel Bolomboy in that spot, but now will probably like to have him available with Gobert's injury. On the other hand, the team has four healthy point guards now.

I asked Snyder how Neto can contribute during this series.

"The same way Jeff Withey and Fav did," he started. "Hopefully not. Just his presence on the bench. The same way he did against Portland, when Lillard got going, and we used him to come in. The same way he has when he started. You don't know how you're going to contribute, you just have to contribute in any way you can. Including being Chris Paul in practice."

That doesn't sound like Neto will be the primary backup option, even when healthy. I'd expect the Jazz to continue using Shelvin Mack, unless he gets burned too badly defensively.

Mack didn't play well. Neto is the better call here

The team was a little bit worried that the soreness would linger for Favors. That's happened after he's played major minutes in some games this season: the worst part was the day after a game, when his knee really started to hurt. But Snyder reported that that wasn't the case after Saturday's big minute game, a very good sign.

:applause:

It's going to be difficult. I expect the Clippers to attack the glass, and to be more variable in choosing their plays than they were in Game 2. But the Jazz can play better too: none of Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood, or Joe Ingles shot the ball well. The game could well be determined by which team's guard improves their shooting the most in Game 2.

I expected that from Hayward and who knows what you're going to get from Hood game to game.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 06:02 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678045/Jazz-notes-Rudy-Gobert-officially-out-for-Game-2-Favors-good-to-go.html

"His spirits are high," said Jazz big man Derrick Favors, who'll start in Gobert's absence Tuesday. "Hopefully, we'll get him back in a week or two."

2 will likely be too late

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 06:33 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5186408-155/utah-jazz-notes-rudy-gobert-out

Raul Neto, who has missed more than a week with a sprained ankle, is listed as questionable on Utah's official injury list. But the point guard told The Tribune that he plans to play in Tuesday's Game 2.

:cheers:

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 06:42 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5183881-155/utah-jazz-rudy-goberts-status-forces?page=2

[QUOTE]The Jazz have survived a major injury this season to most of their main players not named Gordon Hayward. Even Gobert

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 07:18 PM
http://www.clipsnation.com/2017/4/15/15311400/los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-2017-nba-playoffs-chris-paul-blake-griffin-rudy-gobert-gordon-hayward

JJ Redick is the weakest defensive player in the Clippers starting lineup, but I don't believe the Jazz have anyone who can consistently punish him. Rodney Hood and Joe Ingles are good players, but if the Jazz go to them frequently to attack Redick, that's a win for the Clippers, as it takes the ball out of better player's hands.

As I said before the series started the Jazz win that match-up. Now everyone knows Ingles is for real!

ISO Joe is actually a bad matchup for the Clippers, but it's kind of hard to imagine him turning the series.

lol!

I've admired the Jazz's method of rebuilding without tanking, and it's finally producing results.

If letting your best player go along with Demarre while playing youngsters that should be in the D-league isn't tanking what is? Only thing that wasn't tanking was Rudy's emergence

Wesley Matthews who became a starter left after one year.

they let him leave you mean

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 07:34 PM
http://www.clipsnation.com/2017/4/18/15342262/2017-nba-playoffs-first-round-game-1-recap-and-game-2-preview-with-slc-dunk

part of the reason why these two teams have only 51 wins this year is that at times they play down to their competition

Jazz have mostly dominated the weaker teams this year. What we haven't seen much is them stepping up against the top teams like in game 1.

Derrick Favors is a very nice stand-in, but Jordan is bigger, more athletic, and just better.

They are listed at the same weight though Derrick had supposedly lost a lot of weight and Jordan is listed one inch taller though at 7'5" Favors may have a longer reach. More athletic and at this point better sure but if Favors can play like last game than it's at least competitive

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 08:27 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/18/13122780/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-deandre-jordan-derrick-favors-stepping

Rant Point 5: Do You Really Think G-Time is Leaving?

I can see it

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/9/15236666/joe-johnson-highlights-jazz-clippers-blazers-20000-points

Johnson was never going to pass up that ball on Saturday night.

If the double had came he would have.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/17/13306958/nba-playoffs-2017-free-agency-golden-state-warriors-san-antonio-spurs-utah-jazz-bang-for-buck

[QUOTE]The Utah Jazz General Manager has been very smart, he and his scouts have made more hits than misses, and his number crunchers haven

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2017, 12:36 PM
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2017/04/19/emptying-the-noggin-jazz-fall-in-game-2-to-clippers/

I haven’t looked at the numbers, but the Jazz have not shown they can defend when Withey is at center in this series.

Give Bolomboy a shot? Too bad they didn't let us see more of him in regular season. Hard to throw him to the wolves now

This was a good performance with a lot of positives.

clipps have to be worried that they couldn't run away

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2017, 01:07 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5191079-155/jazz-notes-rodney-hood-comes-off

Jazz rookie Joel Bolomboy was placed on the active roster. The power forward from Weber State was inactive in Game 1. Snyder made the move because he needed another big man, in case of foul trouble. In somewhat of a surprise move, shooting guard Alec Burks was made inactive.

Has to be Lyles

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2017, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE]There

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2017, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE]Andy Larsen: Alec Burks is officially out of Game 3 against the Clippers due to a platelet rich plasma injection in his left knee, according to Jazz PR.

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Andy Larsen‏: Jazz statement on Jeff Withey: The Utah Jazz released the following statement:

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2017, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE]Utah Jazz center Jeff Withey has been accused of domestic violence in a police report filed by his Playboy Playmate of the Year ex-fiancee, Kennedy Summers

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2017, 11:55 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43942039&nid=304&title=jazz-investigating-withey-allegations-coach-says-its-irresponsible-to-comment-more

his lawyer says he is innocent

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 12:00 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43939711&nid=304&title=jazz-practice-rudy-gobert-out-for-game-3-is-hack-a-jordan-a-good-idea

I think the other situation is offensive rebounding. He's a heck of an offensive rebounder, so we're not going to get many of those."

Especially not when your strategy is to get back on D instead of hitting the offensive glass this year. Booker could sure help though and he couldn't be any worse at hitting 3's than Lyles and Diaw have been!

I agree with Snyder. It doesn't make a ton of sense to use Hack-a-Jordan when you're down multiple possessions in the fourth quarter. The most likely scenario for any Jordan trip to the line (a 48.9 percent free throw shooter this season) is him making one of two free throws. That means what otherwise could be a 6-0 run might be turned into a 6-3 run. In other words, it's a pretty low-variance strategy, and the Jazz needed something bigger to break their way.

Can't keep letting him dunk uncontested.

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678263/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Rudy-Gobert-out-for-Game-3-will-Jazz-use-Hack-a-Jordan.html

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 07:53 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678246/Jazz-are-going-nowhere-if-Gordon-Hayward-doesnt-play-like-a-star.html

[QUOTE]Either way, the Jazz can mitigate that if Gordon Hayward plays like the superstar he intends to be. If he doesn

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678195/Jazz-notes-Utah-better-without-Rudy-Gobert-Blake-Griffin-compliments-Jazz.html

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 08:22 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5200830-155/jazz-no-surprise-rudy-gobert-ruled

Gobert is making progress in his rehabilitation. He is walking without a limp or crutches, and has progressed to working out on exercise machines. He also is able to shoot free throws at team practices.

unless one of those exercise machines is a treadmill than he is a long ways off I imagine

the Jazz have decided that Gobert will not play until there is no chance of reinjuring his knee, which may take some time.

already saw that happen with Hood

Snyder said Favors is fighting through fatigue after he played 33 minutes in Game 2, the most action he has seen since playing 34 minutes on March 3 in a win over the Brooklyn Nets.

"He's trying to raise his level," Snyder said. "He's different than Rudy, so we have to play to his strengths. He's on the floor exclusively at center for 35 minutes, and that hasn't happened this year. So this is new to him."
He was the center before Rudy emerged. That was a different Favors though

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5200652-155/kragthorpe-utah-jazz-eager-to-stage

a team that went 22-19 on the road should have won roughly 36 home games this season. The Jazz instead were merely 29-12 at home.

The crowd hasn't been that crazy like it will be Tonite so hopefully things will be different even without Rudy.

home-court dominance has diminished leaguewide this season, with home teams winning 57.5 percent of games. That's an all-time low, according to ESPN The Magazine's recent analytics report.

guess that makes the Jazz record look a bit better?

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 09:00 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5194912-155/monson-jazz-have-one-key-to?page=2

The real solution is an unlikely intercontinental reach, wholly outside anyone's control: Gobert has to heal up. Not just heal up, but be ready to play.

I think even if he made it back to play just a few minutes each half off the bench could be huge

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-clippers-finding-adjustments-for-games-3-4/

[QUOTE]When Gobert plays, he has an elite ability to wall off the drive of a ball handler and still get back (more often than not) to defend the roller. Derrick Favors just doesn

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/these-weeks-in-the-utah-jazz-7/

[QUOTE]I know

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 09:56 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/21/15380828/the-downbeat-2075-the-utah-jazz-home-playoff-game-edition

He talks about how the 2007-2009 Carols Boozer and Deron Williams team went 37-4 at home. Compared to this team which is deeper went only 29-12.

but not deep

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 10:08 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/20/utah-jazz-chris-pauls-homer-comments-much-ado-nothing/

Homer: Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

sounds about right

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 10:18 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/19/hope-utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-return-series/

Rudy Gobert is without a doubt its heart and soul.

and not even part of your big 3 a few months ago! :roll:

[QUOTE]Utah

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 10:26 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/19/how-the-utah-jazz-can-rebound-in-game-3/

[QUOTE]Raul Neto remains the best backup point guard on the team and had he been 100 percent, I

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 05:21 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/21/utah-jazz-derrick-favors-capitalize-chance-redeem/

Favors was once considered one of the key components to this Jazz team. As recently as last season, many had him pinned as even more vital and talented than Rudy Gobert

As recently as this season you had him as part of the Jazz's big 3 along with Hood and Hayward! :wtf:

[QUOTE]That

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Andy Larsen: Diaw on Gobert:

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 08:11 AM
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2017/04/21/emptying-the-noggin-so-much-right-until-it-wasnt/

The Jazz went cold at the 7:50 mark of the fourth quarter. They got stuck in isolation basketball and the Jazz are not a good isolation team (27th in the NBA this season). They went over five minutes without a field goal and Chris Paul took over the game in that stretch. The Clippers went on a 15-0 run and that won the game for the Clippers.

They're so good when they move they ball too. :rant

Derrick has never wanted to be a center. He has always said he is not a center. This series, he is matching up against the biggest center in the NBA and the wear and tear is evident.

not close to the biggest center :facepalm

Raul Neto played the back-up point guard minutes in the second half and made two huge shots (for 5 points) in three minutes.

Why didn't you keep him in the game?

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 08:37 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43958581&nid=304&title=the-triple-team-jazz-let-4th-quarter-lead-slip-to-go-to-2-1-series-deficit-vs-clippers

Chris Paul took over and scored nine consecutive points between the four minute mark and the two minute mark of the game, that turned a two-point Clipper deficit into a seven point Clipper lead.

"He's just good, number one," Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. "He trusts the actions that we are running, number two, and he has an amazing feel. He really does. He's just a tough, tough guy. He's stubborn in a very, very positive way. All the great ones have that in them. They are stubborn enough like they aren't going to lose."

That's the difference between Hayward being a very good player and a great one. You really have to think about how much you want to pay Hayward.

And then some of it was that the Jazz got very isolation heavy in the fourth. That worked better when the Jazz were able to get the switch so that Raymond Felton or Jamal Crawford was defending the action, but it's still not a reliable way for the Jazz to score.

We've seen this from the Jazz before: late in games, they rely on some simple sets. They don't get as many actions, nor as much movement. Referees swallow their whistles. And as a result, they find it difficult to score.

Is this the genius coach or the players?

But the Jazz aren't even close without Hayward's contributions.

I keep hearing he's an all-star. That's what he's supposed to do especially with their best player out

they also ran a lot of actions that got Paul switched onto Hayward. Paul likes to play centerfield on defense where he can intercept passes and gather steals, but he's not a tremendously effective defender on a wing with the size Hayward has.

They must think differently since they had him on Hayward when Johnson hit the shot

Hayward scored just four in the quarter, and the biggest factor was the way the Clippers defended him. They were holding, pressing, arm-barring him, and everything else they could think of to prevent him from getting the separation he got early in the game. All of those things are illegal, but the referees didn't call the fouls.

Again the greats make it happen somehow. Teams have tried to get physical with Rudy and he's learned how to get it done.

The biggest problem for the Jazz is at the center position

duh?

Derrick Favors played 38 minutes tonight, going just 1-for-3 from the field for two points. He had 0 points and 1 rebound in the second half. He wasn't an impact player at defending the rim, nor an effective rebounder, nor an offensive plus. As a result, he was a -17 in those minutes. That means the Jazz were a plus 10 when he wasn't on the floor.

So why not give Withey or even Bolomboy a shot?

Boris Diaw played at center during those other minutes, and it was actually an interesting look for the Jazz: it allows them to space the floor and play five-out where all five players have to be guarded. But Diaw's a flawed player too: he has trouble hanging defensively, and of course, he can't play all of the minutes at center if he's also starting at power forward.

He sucked too. But at least they have cap space for the draft!

it might be time to force Rudy Gobert's return, unless they feel Gobert is at risk to hurt it further by playing. Even a few minutes, and a walking Gobert, would really help.

can't rush him back. He is the future of the franchise. Without him they aren't going anywhere. Imagine the team playing as well as they have in this series with him. They can beat anyone

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 08:50 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43966362&nid=294&title=jazz-update-clippers-pf-blake-griffin-out-for-playoffs-with-toe-injury

Tim MacMahon ✔ @espn_macmahon

Jazz C Rudy Gobert is being evaluated on a daily basis, but a source says it's unlikely that he will be ready to play in Sunday's Game 4.

1:59 PM - 22 Apr 2017

oh well. Maybe they can win another without him

he brought in Raul Neto.

The Brazilian's solid defense wasn't a surprise, but his shotmaking on offense was.

not really. Was one of their best shooters last year and was starting to hit shots before he got hurt

And there are indications he may have earned the backup PG job for the time being. "He was playing those minutes before he got hurt," Snyder said. "While he was out, Shelvin came in and did a good job. We've played a lot of guys there, and we just try to feel the game. It felt like we needed some juice, and he gave that to us."

Why don't you need his juice more?

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 08:58 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678385/Jazz-crowd-can-get-ugly-but-is-it-really-the-worst.html

[QUOTE]Welcome to Vivint Arena, where the seats steeply slope all the way to the court. Fans are right on top of the action, just the way the late Larry H. Miller intended. It

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 09:14 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678410/Clippers-Chris-Paul-a-la-Stockton-again-shows-why-hes-one-of-NBAs-premier-point-guards.html

[QUOTE]he's the Los Angeles Clippers' version of legendary Utah Jazz guard John Stockton, proving once again that big

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5206705-155/utah-jazz-mailbag-how-do-you

When Favors is healthy, he's one of the better two-way power forwards in the league.

He was. Will he be again is the question? Haven't seen it all year and it started last season really/ That's worrisome. I thought maybe he'd raised his trade value in the first couple of games but game 3 was awful

Favors faces a pretty big summer. He has to come back next season with good health and show he can return to previous form. Failing that, the Jazz will have to make a decision on his future.

They'll be looking to move him I imagine. Even if he is healthy he may not be the best fit next to Rudy. I would guess they'll go into the season with him hoping he can return to form and increase his trade value. If Hayward bolts who know maybe he even signs an extension?

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 09:51 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5207130-155/clippers-notes-pick-and-roll-preparation-benefited-from

Guard Austin Rivers is expected to miss Game 4 due to a hamstring injury. The Clippers are doubtful that Rivers could return for Game 5 on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

doubt they'll rush him back unless the Jazz win a couple more games

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 10:25 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5206575-155/nba-playoffs-clippers-blake-griffin-to

[QUOTE]Speaking of Gobert

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 10:44 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5204119-155/kragthorpe-if-quin-snyders-bold-moves

The fans were equally angry about the officiating and supportive of the Jazz. As Hayward stood at the free-throw line, they chanted, "MVP!"

Yeah right! They got to watch an MVP performance by Paul though

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 10:52 AM
http://saltcityhoops.com/chris-paul-carves-through-jazz-defense-puts-clips-up-2-1/

[QUOTE]Griffin

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 11:06 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/22/15394932/why-i-still-have-hope-in-our-utah-jazz

At the end of the regular season the Jazz showed that (even though there were not much to play for games) they could even beat the Golden State Warriors and the San Antonio Spurs. I am not so sure the DWill teams could do that even under the same circumstances.

More like a Sloan team. Can't see Sloan making the adjustments that Snyder has

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 11:18 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/22/15392486/nba-playoffs-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-chris-paul-gordon-hayward-deandre-jordan-blake-griffin

[QUOTE]Paul Pierce played 21 minutes. The man is slower than frozen molasses. The Jazz should have taken better advantage of his being on the floor than they did. Doc Rivers tried everything he could to give the Jazz this game and they just couldn

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2017, 05:39 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5208901-155/utah-jazz-shootaround-rudy-gobert-upgraded

Snyder did confirm Gobert is back to running. Should he be able to play, Gobert would probably be inserted into the starting lineup.

jumping? He didn't practice so I doubt he plays. A few minutes each half off the bench could be the difference

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE]Andy Larsen: Quin Snyder on if Gobert has a minutes restriction:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 08:53 AM
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2017/04/23/emptying-the-noggin-an-incredible-win-an-incredible-series/

despite playing two of the next three on the road in LA, there is a possibility this series is pointing in the favor of the Jazz. For the first three games of the series, when the Jazz were without Rudy Gobert, the Clippers were the better team. With the Jazz getting Gobert healthy and the Clippers without Griffin, there is a legitimate chance the Jazz are the better team.

I don't think there is much doubt even with Griffin. They lost close games without Rudy. He's back. Clipps are done despite Paul's greatness!

Favors had 17 points and six rebounds in 24 minutes. Favors was active and terrific. Doc Rivers singled Derrick Favors out for his huge game.

He looked a lot more like his old self tonite diving to the hoop for baskets. He was certainly happy Rudy was back too!

Joe Ingles had a career-high 11 assists. He did a wonderful job running the high pick and roll.

He's became their best pg. Their best perimeter defender and best 3 point shooter. You think he's going to get paid? :bowdown:

The Clippers really miss Austin Rivers when they go to these lineups. He would change who they are. The Jazz were able to counter this lineup.

Sounds like he's probably out at least one more

Dante Exum played and hit an incredible 3 that in a game that was big.

I thought he played well

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43983841&nid=304&title=the-triple-team-joe-johnson-carries-jazz-to-game-4-win

it looks like we'll get something approaching 100 percent Rudy Gobert for the rest of the playoffs.

"I didn't think I would be back this early," Gobert said. "But I put the work in and the training staff, my guys, they helped me heal so quick and it's been great."

And Gobert said his knee wasn't in any pain after the game, either. "I feel pretty good. It's going to get better every day, and I feel good right now," Gobert said. "I've got one more day to recover too."

That's great news for the Jazz. Good work from a maligned training staff to get Gobert ready in time to contribute, just when the Jazz needed him most.

Woo hoo!

Hayward should be non-contagious and would go on the team's flight to Los Angeles tomorrow for Game 5. But even he is healthy, he'll still not be 100 percent: being that degree of sick all day can have an impact on your body for days to come.

Hood never has returned to form after the losing weight with the flu. Hayward is tough. I expect he'll be ok

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 09:17 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43983407&nid=304&title=johnson-scores-28-jazz-beat-clippers-105-98-to-even-series

Utah guard George Hill understands after missing 16 games with a big toe injury this season.

"You've got to think, your big toes are the main part of your body to help with balance and explosion and things like that," Hill said. "Just like if you didn't have thumbs, it'd be hard to do a lot of things in your daily life. Just think about your thumbs and big toes are your main points of your body. I'm sure it's something that's excruciating pain for him because I've been in that situation."

The question is how is your toe now? Because if it's not bothering you I'm not sure I would want to give you a max contract. I'm thinking maybe the Jazz can just pay Ingles and they can run the offense through him.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 09:27 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5207887-155/monson-with-gobert-back-the-battle

[QUOTE]Added Snyder: "Can't say enough about Derrick Favors, and Rodney picked up his level. Joe Johnson

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 01:45 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5207931-155/jazz-notes-utah-hopes-to-wear

Jazz backup center Jeff Withey was a healthy scratch for Sunday's Game 4. He was placed on the inactive list, while rookie Joel Bolomboy was active.

It was the first time in the series that Withey didn't dress.

Withey reportedly was accused on Tuesday by his ex-fiancee of domestic violence.

innocent until proven guilty? I can see putting Bolomboy on the roster but Lyles should be the first to go

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:08 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678450/Brad-Rock-Jazz-are-winning-the-only-way-they-can-with-a-cast-of-thousands.html

[QUOTE]we hadn

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:16 PM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/while-you-werent-watching-the-utah-jazz-got-good/

[QUOTE]Usually, it

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:26 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678447/Twitter-reacts-to-late-Utah-Jazz-run-led-by-the-clutch-play-of-Joe-Johnson-Rodney-Hood-and-Joe.html

Positive Residual @presidual

In the first 3 games, the Jazz had an 11% offensive rebound and a 77% defensive rebound rate. With Rudy Gobert tonight: 22% OREB, 85% DREB.

9:44 PM - 23 Apr 2017

a different team :bowdown:

Andy Bailey @AndrewDBailey

Dead serious. I'd be totally fine with Joe Ingles playing full-time point guard for the Jazz next season.

Something to consider. He's become their best playmaker. Still love to have Hill around too though!

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678441/Jazz-notes-Game-4-first-Sunday-NBA-contest-in-Salt-Lake-since-2008-Jeff-Withey-inactive.html

[QUOTE]JEFF WITHEY INACTIVE: Jazz backup center Jeff Withey was inactive for the game. The team called it a

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:33 PM
NBA.com/Stats ✔ @nbastats

Joe Ingles is just the 20th player in @NBA history to have his 1st career game w/ 10+ ASTS come in the #NBAPlayoffs.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Tate Frazier @tatefrazier

It's amazing to think Joe Johnson believed in Gobert and Hayward over CP3 and DeAndre and could be proven right

Doubt the Clippers offered 22 million and 2 years.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Joe Johnson is 35. This year, he's posting playoff career highs in Player Efficiency Rating, Box Plus-Minus and Win Shares per 48 Minutes.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:43 PM
NBA on TNT ✔ @NBAonTNT

"His decision to go to Utah, made me realize that he was trying to win over everything." - @TheJetonTNT on Joe Johnson

Who else was offering the money or the 2nd year?

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Angie Treasure ✔ @snark_tank
Doc Rivers on Rudy's influence:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 03:01 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/game-4-relived-every-moment-of-a-crazy-close-in-jazz-clips/

[QUOTE]The Jazz are finally able to sub in Derrick Favors, who has been waiting to take over for Gobert, ostensibly because of the latter

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 03:10 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat/2017/4/24/15409150/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-los-angeles-clippers-chris-paul-blake-griffin-joe-johnson-joe-ingles

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojVerticalNBA

Sources: Clippers expect guard Austin Rivers to return from hamstring injury for Game 5 vs. the Jazz on Tuesday.

10:46 AM - 24 Apr 2017

that will help them

J.J. and Jamal are online from outside once again

Redick has done nothing

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2017, 03:29 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/utah-jazz-game-coverage/2017/4/23/15404088/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-105-los-angeles-clippers-98-recap-joe-johnson-joe-ingles-rudy-gobert

J.J. Redick and Jamal Crawford both broke out of their shooting slumps (hitting a combined 7 threes in 14 attempts).

and Rudy and Hill were 10-17 from the field!

JJ was 3-11 and 2-7 from 3 with 4 turnovers. Way to break out! :wtf:

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 11:53 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678473/Jazz-are-making-their-own-Stayward-statement.html

Win or lose their series with the Clippers, the Jazz have shown promise in their first postseason appearance since 2012. They feature a blend of crafty experience and youthful optimism.

Had the Jazz been swept in the first round, it could have given Hayward pause.

Anyone really think they were getting swept before Rudy went down?

[QUOTE]Instead, they

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5213294-155/utah-jazz-joe-johnson-has-reshaped

Rivers again engaged in talks, though the Clippers' salary cap crunch left little hope of signing him in free agency.

"Hey, we're going to give you a hundred grand," Rivers jokingly pitched Monday when asked about their discussions last summer. "I'm a sweet talker, but I'm not that good."

there it is. He didn't actually choose the Jazz because of winning.

"There's something to be said for someone who's as respected as he is in the league, and the kind of mind he has for the game, to identify this place as somewhere that he wants to be. I think that's a nice compliment to our players and our organization. And he certainly made a good decision."

did anyone else offer him close to 22 million for 2 years? :rolleyes:

Obviously it's paid off."

Ka-Ching$$$$$$$ :lol

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 01:18 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5213152-155/clippers-notes-austin-rivers-expected-to

"Gobert's a great defender, but we've been really good with Gobert on the floor in the regular season," Doc Rivers said, adding that the Defensive Player of the Year candidate may have had a greater impact on the offensive end. Clippers guard Jamal Crawford also downplayed Gobert's role in the Jazz's win on Sunday, saying the center's return gave Utah "more of an emotional lift than anything."

keep on telling yourselves that. The series is over!

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 01:24 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5212233-155/utah-jazz-bigs-play-big-change

Gobert's presence, as the series moves to Los Angeles for Tuesday night's Game 5 at Staples Center, could prove to be a game-changer. The Clippers were able to win two straight games in large part because of Jordan's dominance in the lane. Without Gobert, the Jazz had no answer for his length and athleticism.

That changed Sunday. The Jazz won the rebounding battle for the first time in the series. The Jazz also outscored the Clippers in the paint for the first time in the series.

Gobert and a rejuvenated Favors also made things difficult for Chris Paul. The Clippers point guard was still great, scoring 27 points, handing out 12 assists and grabbing nine rebounds. But the open lanes to the hoop he enjoyed for three games were largely not there. The Jazz forced him to shoot under 50 percent (10-of-21) from the field for the first time in the series. And he didn't dominate in the fourth quarter.

Bring on GS! :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 01:28 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5212396-155/monson-quin-snyder-is-the-nbas

Quin Snyder is a smart, passionate man.

Nobody doubts that.

He should be the NBA's coach of the year.

homer!

He certainly has been the match of Doc Rivers, a coach who's already won an NBA title.

not saying much

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/24/15411004/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-doc-rivers-rudy-gobert

[QUOTE] I thought Favors had more of an impact on the game, to be honest, tonight. Again, both of those are offense. Defensively, we do what we do. You know? We don

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 01:58 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/25/utah-jazz-enjoy-favorable-injury-report-ahead-game-5/

[QUOTE]Neither Gordon Hayward nor Rudy Gobert appear on the injury report at all for Tuesday

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 08:06 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44003602&nid=304&title=jazz-shootaround-gordon-hayward-rudy-gobert-ready-to-play-normally-in-game-5

The good news: he's back at 100 percent for Tuesday's Game 5.

"I got it from a sandwich from a place," Hayward said, trying to avoid putting the offending restaurant out of business. He did say he wouldn't be going to that restaurant ever again.

Clippers fan working there?

To me, that says that the knee contusion isn't as big of a deal as the hyperextension, which he wears a brace to protect. That's very different from Derrick Favors' knee contusion, which gives him pain and limits his explosiveness at varying levels.

May just be that they are different guys. Hood had the same thing as Gobert months ago and still hasn't recovered. Rudy is the man! :bowdown:

We'll see how he does in his second game back from injury, but it seems like he thinks that he'll play at about 100 percent. With only eight days between when the injury happened and his return, that's a major win for the Jazz.

Clippers are done for!

"It's a chance to have some level of impact on the game that during the 82-game regular season there isn't as much preparation time," Snyder said. "You're also able to impact the game negatively too, so it goes both ways."

like making Withey inactive instead of Lyles?

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 08:23 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43998250&nid=304&title=ben-anderson-playoff-magic-alive-for-the-utah-

From pushing the Showtime Lakers to seven games in 1988

blowing it to the Lakers

Rodney Hood missed a total of 12 games in 15 outings with a similar hyperextension.

as I said different guys

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 08:26 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678577/Twitter-reactions-Gordon-Haywards-food-poisoning-comes-from-a-sandwich-from-a-place.html

[QUOTE]Coach Quin Snyder is happy to have Hayward back in the lineup tonight and said there shouldn't be any limitations on his minutes.

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 08:40 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/25/15428620/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-vs-los-angeles-clippers-austin-rivers-gordon-hayward-injury-update

SG: Alec Burks is out of the rotation, so maybe the PRP treatment in his left knee is more PR spin than anything else. It seems just like a really fishy time of the season to have that done.

might have been out of the rotation because of his knee. If he can't help them it seems like the perfect time. Maybe he can help them at some point this year still?

PF: Joel Bolomboy is likely to be selected as a fellow Inactive for this game, along with Burks.

Was Withey last game so I imagine it will be again though it should certainly be Lyles

[QUOTE]Rivers is going to come off the bench, and I don

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2017, 08:48 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/25/15426360/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-chris-paul-joe-johnson-joe-ingles-marreese-speights-threes

[QUOTE]I am putting Luc Mbah a Moute and Joe Johnson here as wings though, you could argue for them to be

El Kabong
04-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Well that 4th quarter was a nice reminder on what a bitch Chris Paul can be.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Yeah he's a great player but a sore loser apparently.

About time Kabong made an appearance. Is Ingles a national hero yet? :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Having earned the nickname

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE]Gobert wouldn

El Kabong
04-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Yeah he's a great player but a sore loser apparently.

About time Kabong made an appearance. Is Ingles a national hero yet? :cheers:
Hasn't been much on him at all. They probably won't unless the Jazz make the finals.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Too bad. He's a huge part of this.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 09:58 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705404-rudy-gobert-is-daydreaming-of-a-utah-jazz-championship-and-a-rap-career

"He can be a leader," Jensen says with a sort of wide-eyed conviction. "It comes with the maturity. Making the playoffs, winning in the playoffs. That leadership, people listening to you, just comes."

Already is. In Rudy we trust! :bowdown:

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44009539&nid=304&title=the-triple-team-jazz-clutch-resilience-leads-to-game-5-win-over-clippers

another minute later: Hayward and Paul end up on the ground, struggling for the loose ball and rebound. Even though it's after the whistle, Hayward fights Paul for it, even eliciting a Paul shove.

The double T was a joke. Should have been on Paul for the shove. I'm not one to complain about the refs generally but they've been horrible in the series especially towards Paul.

Hood co-led the Jazz (along with Hayward) in fourth quarter scoring with nine points, making three of five 3-point shots.

took the most shots on the team. That can't happen when he's not hitting

One of the interesting subplots about this series was how a very deep team (the Jazz) would compete against a very-evenly matched star-laden but shallow team (the Clippers).

I'd say they're pretty close on depth actually. After Rudy, Hayward, Ingles, Johnson, Hill and Favors the Jazz have problems as they've had all year. At least they'll have cap space for the draft! Might be time to try starting Johnson again and leave Diaw on the bench.

Being versatile is the Jazz's biggest strength, and they're showing it again in this critical playoff series.

I think Snyder is just doing a better job than the overrated Rivers.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 10:22 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44009278&nid=304&title=hayward-scores-27-jazz-beat-clippers-96-92-to-take-3-2-lead

They fell to 1-11 all-time in Game 5 of a playoff series that was tied 2-2.

:roll:

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
moni @monilogue

Did y'all catch Quin giving CP3 the death glare after he & Hayward fought for the ball? Jerry-like and I love it.

probably be a good fight!

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
NBA History ✔ @NBAHistory

.@rudygobert27 2nd @utahjazz player with 10+ pts, 10+ reb, 5+ stl in a playoff game; Karl Malone (33/11/5) did that in 1990. @EliasSports

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
David J. Smith @davidjsmith1232

JJ Redick was terrific, too. A few dubious calls went his way, but he played a really good game. #UTAatLAC

yes he did but after being a no show for 4 games :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:23 AM
"Joe Johnson has been amazing. Other than LeBron, he's arguably been the best player in the Playoffs." - Charles Barkley

Jazz swept without him. He's earned his 22 million! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 03:37 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678609/LA-Clippers-notebook-Loss-of-Griffin-forces-Clippers-to-go-deeper-down-the-bench.html

"We have to have the desperation going up to Utah," Doc Rivers said. "We've won there before. We've won in the playoffs there before

without Rudy! good luck :D

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey and coach Quin Snyder have done everything right in constructing a burgeoning Western Conference contender, but they’ll have to withstand the Boston Celtics’ push for Hayward on July 1. Winning a playoff series, getting a crack at the Golden State Warriors, gives Hayward a better prism with which to imagine his Utah future. The plan for Utah is unmistakable: Offer Hayward a max deal, re-sign point guard George Hill and turn these 51-win Jazz toward 60 victories and push for a conference finals appearance sooner rather than later. – via Yahoo! Sports

Wouldn't say everything right. Ingles may have move ahead of Hill in importance?

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 10:30 PM
For the Clippers, this is dire. Without Griffin on the court, the Jazz are a better team. With Griffin, the Clippers might have lost, too. The Jazz are deeper, better connected and ferociously determined. If this feels like the end for the Clippers, it is truly the beginning for the Jazz.

The Jazz have looked better with or without Griffin. Not sure they are deeper or that this is the beginning. Jazz are in much the same position as the Clippers with 3 of their 4 top guys potential free agents. The difference is Gobert is signed for 4 years! :rockon:

[QUOTE]The Clippers are selling themselves on that idea, because, in part, there

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 10:33 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678611/Hayward-back-to-form-after-being-sidelined-because-of-bad-sandwich.html

[QUOTE]Like most other NBA arenas, the Clippers provided white shirts on every seat for the fans. The shirts read

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:11 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/25/15429292/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-chris-paul-rudy-gobert-gordon-hayward-joe-johnson

[QUOTE]George Hill | Gordon Hayward | Joe Johnson | Derrick Favors | Rudy Gobert

This line-up has NEVER played together on the court this season. Not in the playoffs, nor in the regular season. This was my desire for the Jazz starting line-up this year if everyone was healthy. (I found it unfair to not start Johnson after all he had accomplished.) Sure, we don

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2017, 11:20 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/26/utah-jazz-rodney-hood-is-stepping-up-this-postseason/

Given the recent impressive play of Utah Jazz shooting guard Rodney Hood, one has to wonder, has he taken the next step in the development of his game?

He's hit some big shots but missed a ton! He had taken a small step early in the year before he had the fl and lost weight. Hasn't been the same since

Hood is definitely a pivotal player for the future of the Utah Jazz.

Depends on what happens in the off-season. If they don't sign other guys he may get an extension. If they do he's probably gone

He has improved defensively and is now growing into an NBA player that can be relied upon. Having a tough wing defender that can knock down the three ball and drive the lane like Hood is something that the Utah Jazz have to love.

They sure would. None of that sounds like Hood though! :wtf:

El Kabong
04-27-2017, 04:49 AM
Too bad. He's a huge part of this.
Still very much Patty Mills-centric over here unfortunately.

There was this recently, which was focused on what the Aussies will get paid next year since all of Ingles, Baynes, Mills and Bogut will be FA's

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/nba-executives-reveal-how-much-upcoming-australian-free-agents-could-demand-in-2017-offseason/news-story/216434dcd0af1ecb14e02e6c369196e5

“Joe (Ingles) has a very big range,” one Western Conference executive said. “$US5-to-10 million a year, I’d say.

“If he continues to play this way in the playoffs, he’ll get over 10.”

Ingles, who will turn 30 in October, is coming off a career-best regular season — averaging 7.1 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per game, as well as shooting 44.1 percent from beyond the arc — and has carried that form over to his first NBA post-season.

Entering Game 5 of the Utah Jazz’s first round series against the Los Angeles Clippers, the Adelaide-native is averaging 8.5 points per game, and has just come off a career-high 11-assist performance.

“I really think Joe deserves to get paid,” one NBA scout said. “He could make a really interesting sixth man. Not sure he’s a starter, but he’s shown he’s such a reliable shooter.”

When it comes to what team Ingles may sign with, this executive believes it’ll all come down to the Jazz’s desire to retain George Hill, along with the amount they’re willing to pay the point guard. Ingles’ restricted free agent status will also come into play, with the team likely to hold a certain amount of leverage over the small forward.

“He should (earn eight figures),” the executive said. “The only reason it’d be less than that is if he doesn’t play the restricted game right.”

The increased salary cap has seen the earnings of NBA players rise immensely, and Ingles will likely be among the next beneficiaries of that. The NBA scout we spoke with put it bluntly: “If Moe Harkless can make over $US10 million, then Ingles is deserving of that.”

Wonder if we'd be willing to move Favors on for nothing if it helps us keep Ingles? He's a bit of an odd man out at this stage and will be in the final year of his deal paying him $12 million in 2018.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 09:35 AM
thanks for the article and feedback

Mills was one of the guys mentioned in an article I posted a while about possible replacements for Hill and it made a great case for him. With Parker on the downside of his career you'd think the Spurs will want to keep him around though

Ingles numbers don't jump out at you but every team in the league would love him on their team. Not really a 6th man but he could certainly start on the right club as a 3 and D and playmaker at 4 positions! Restricted free agency will either help him or hurt him. Some team will offer him a lot early on when the Jazz are still dealing with Hayward and Hill or will stay away thinking the Jazz are going to match. At this point I think he might be ahead of Hill for the Jazz depending on how much they think Hill's toe is affecting his play. They might even see him as their pg possibly

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 09:50 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44016468&nid=304&title=jazz-notes-jazz-great-in-game-6s-clippers-could-change-starting-lineups

They're also 3-8 in Game 6s, so that's a very lackluster record. One very notable exception, though: in 2015, the Clippers won Game 6 and Game 7 of the series against the defending champion San Antonio Spurs to advance in the first round.

Didn't see that one but the Jazz look like the better team and should win this. Paul is a great player though so who knows.

Meanwhile, the Jazz are 5-0 in series when they're up 3-2, according to 1280's Spence Checketts.

Who cares? With the Clippers a lot of that is with the current guys.

the Jazz will be giving out T-shirts to every fan in attendance. Preliminary word is that they hope to vary the designs on these shirts if the Jazz are able to continue in the playoffs.

I was a little disappointed they didn't. My friend and Way of Wade(I assume?) will have 3 of the same shirt and towel.

You could also start Jamal Crawford, but man, that makes their bench completely punchless, and gives the Jazz someone to switch on with their best attackers on the floor.

Unless Rivers can put up 10-15 like he was during the season. Felton has played well too.

the Clippers were extremely aggressive early in doubling ballhandlers. That meant the Jazz just swung the ball around to the open man. This time, the Jazz usually missed, but that won't always be the case.

if they move the ball they usually win

For two stretches last night that totaled just under four minutes, the Jazz played without a point guard, preferring to play four of their versatile wing players together.

The Jazz finished those minutes with a plus-minus of zero, so we can't really conclude that it was a massive success or anything. But it is an interesting look for the Jazz, and solves a problem of putting an inexperienced player on the floor who might be a liability at one end.

"It's always a little bit nerve-wracking for me to do it, but our guys have confidence in it, so usually I just go with it," Snyder said.

And when I asked Joe Ingles about it, he didn't even know that the no-PG minutes happened, even though he was usually the guy bringing the ball up the floor. So it's safe to say it's a look that the Jazz are comfortable with.

Everyone on the team can handle it except the centers. I think Neto needs to play though.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 09:59 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5221656-155/utah-jazz-notes-jazz-have-slowed

Utah has dictated the pace, and the tempo of the series. Instead of the open-court style the Clippers prefer, much of the series has been played in the halfcourt. Instead of lobs, there have been rebounds. Instead of excitement, there have been groans through the Staples Center.

Clippers dominated them at the Jazz pace during the season though

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 10:29 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5220478-155/kragthorpe-game-6-will-be-the

By winning Game 5 on the road in a best-of-seven series that stood 2-2, these guys already have done something that the Jazz of John Stockton/Karl Malone and Deron Williams/Carlos Boozer never did in other eras.

wow!

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 02:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-waiters-mcgee-among-32-most-fascinating-players-set-to-hit-market/

Joe Ingles, Jazz (restricted): Keeping Ingles won't be the Jazz's top priority (more on that soon), but he has evolved into a vital part of the team. Few players combine his size, shooting, passing and defensive versatility, making him one of the league's most underrated role players before the playoffs started. After all the damage he has done to the Clippers, it's unlikely Utah will be able to re-sign the 29-year-old on the cheap.

Don't think he would have been cheap before the playoffs but his price keeps going up. He's played great against GS this year too so hopefully a lot more to come for him!

They are also as vulnerable as any team going into the offseason with their No. 1 option and their starting point guard hitting free agency. Giving Hayward a maximum contract is a no-brainer, but HIll's situation is murkier. After trading a lottery pick for Hill and then seeing him fit as well as they hoped, watching him walk would be almost as awful as losing Hayward.

Stating shooting guard too not to mention Diaw's team option at starting PF. How much of a max for Hayward is the question that no one else if asking though. Hill comes down to his toe and how much it is affecting his play now. I'm thinking he might be sorry he didn't take the money from the Jazz when he had the chance. He's hardly looking like a max player right now and might get quite a bit less than the 17 million he could have gotten a couple of months ago. Ingles may get more

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678688/Jazz-Clippers-series-has-all-the-hallmarks-of-two-teams-going-in-separate-directions.html

The situation underscores a growing suspicion the Jazz and Clippers are going opposite directions at high speed. Los Angeles is on the verge of a bust-up that is almost sure to happen if it fails. Several players are free agents this summer, including Griffin and Paul. Rivers is both coach and president of the Clippers, so the obvious question is whether he should fire himself. Conversely, the Jazz have thrived in the playoffs, ignoring a three-game absence by Rudy Gobert and a one-game absence by Gordon Hayward. Every time the Jazz lose a star, they win.

Jazz could be in the same position. Jazz with Gobert and pieces. Clippers with DeAndre and pieces.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 03:01 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat/2017/4/27/15446376/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-quin-snyder-evan-fournier-downbeat

I'm more excited about Joe Johnson.I think his experience and being a former go-to-player will be so beneficial to the Jazz

I always liked Joe but Hill was the guy to be excited about. Too bad about his toe

Evan Fournier ✔ @EvanFourmizz
Best feeling in the world. #WestRimTrail #Utah
9:41 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Orlando will certainly be looking to shake things up. Maybe they can get Rudy's buddy here? Not sure if he plays enough D or not

moni @monilogue
Did y'all catch Quin giving CP3 the death glare after he & Hayward fought for the ball? Jerry-like and I love it.
7:17 AM - 26 Apr 2017

He is bigger than Chris and looks like a serial killer

David Locke‏ @Lockedonsports 16h16 hours ago
Jazz will play basketball on Sunday at 1:30 mtn on ABC-TV and local radio. Opponent yet to be determined

Not much prep for GS

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-jazzs-poise-against-clippers-shows-last-summers-plan-worked-perfectly/

Despite ample preseason hype, the 2015-16 version of the team finished 40-42, thanks largely to a series of significant injuries and a lot of losses in close games.

The main reason is because the front office was basically still tanking despit the great finish the year before. No excuse for not having a vet pg at the very least last year. We saw what a 3rd stringer in Mack did once he joined

Boris Diaw was basically a gift from the Spurs, who needed to clear cap space to sign Pau Gasol.

A gift that has been wildly inconsistent and cost them a pick and the 1st or 2nd best guy on their summer league roster depending on how you feel about Lyles selfish play.

In other words, he's a perfect Jazzman.

at the end of the bench sure!

On Tuesday Snyder recalled meeting with him in free agency and selling him on taking on a different kind of role. He had played a bit of power forward with the Miami Heat last season, and Utah wanted him to sort of do a lot more of it. Johnson knew his minutes would decline significantly, and he also knew he could help the Jazz handle high-pressure situations.
"He knew that we had wings and understood that his role would be -- I think he'd started every game since like 2003, I think that's right," Snyder said correctly. "That's a long run, and we talked about it. I was like, 'Are you sure?'"

He's been great at the 4. Wildly inconsistent like Diaw at the 3. His starting days are over. He's best off the bench though with the rest they get in the playoffs he's been able to handle big minutes. Would love to know how much of it was about the 22 million though and if anyone else was offeing close to that!

they won 51 games anyway. Part of that was because of major improvement from Gobert and Gordon Hayward, who made his first All-Star appearance, but a lot of it was simply because there were more rotation-caliber players on the bench.

The main reason was Rudy

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 03:44 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/research-statistics-analytics/2017/4/27/15447308/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-three-pointers-jj-redick-chris-paul-jamal-crawford

[QUOTE]For the season the Clippers played at a 96.1 possession game. The Jazz were slower at 91.6. In order to minimize the potential damage done in transition Quin Snyder dialled the throttle back in the regular season. In their head to head games (again, the 3-1 season series that was taken by LAC) the pace was only 90.0 possessions. Now in the playoffs it

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 03:51 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/research-statistics-analytics/2017/4/27/15447170/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-gordon-hayward-rudy-gobert-joe-johnson-nba-math

[QUOTE]Raul Neto and Jeff Withey are good at both, above the line here, but not really, really good at any thing. They are net positives on both ends of the court and don

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 04:15 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/27/win-lose-game-6-utah-jazz-will-play-sunday/

[QUOTE] there

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2017, 04:28 PM
David Locke: Quin Snyder

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE]Connor Letourneau: Green:

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE]Ben Dowsett: Rudy Gobert with pointed comments on physicality/refs:

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 11:48 AM
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2017/04/29/emptying-the-noggin-clippers-hold-off-flurry-and-have-some-answers/

[QUOTE]In the regular season, the Clippers only allowed Rodney Hood to get four catch-and-shoot shots in 30 attempts, but in the playoffs, they have allowed him to have at least 25 in six games. This either is because the Jazz are doing something dramatically different or because the Clippers have decided they are okay letting Rodney Hood shoot. Moreover, Rodney has not made a shot in the midrange all series, so when the Clippers run him off the line it hasn

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 11:53 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44035489&nid=304&title=interest-in-the-jazz-peaking-for-the-playoffs

Welcome back band wagon fans :D

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 12:03 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44046511&nid=304&title=the-triple-team-3-thoughts-on-jazz-98-93-game-6-loss-to-clippers

the new Clippers lineup deserves a lot of credit. They played small for the entire game, and the Jazz's small look didn't handle the quicker Clippers. Austin Rivers looked healthy, playing 34 minutes of good defense on Gordon Hayward, Rodney Hood, and any other player he faced.

Maybe it's time for the Jazz to throw a new look like Hayward at the 4 finally? Throw out Exum, Neto and Hill? I thought Neto played well. He needs to be in the mix for sure

Hood was pretty bad. The most notable problem was 2-10 shooting, and 0-6 3-point shooting. Early in the game, Hood missed good looks, and then late in the game, he tried to take difficult shots to get himself going and missed those too. That's acceptable, and the Jazz have enough faith in Hood regaining his shooting ability to have him keep shooting.

But he also needs to be more of an impact player on the defensive end. The Clippers toasted him on that end of the floor, getting separation on straight line drives, and even baiting him into bad fouls to get to the line.

Hood ended with four points, three rebounds, no assists, one turnover, and a -21 plus-minus in a 24 minute effort.

needs to be on the bench when he isn't shooting well not having plays continually run for him

Getting rid of the unnatural 3-point shooting foul

I hate this call more than any other thing in basketball right now:

Chris Paul, trying to get contact, runs hard into the screen. He makes some sort of indeterminate contact with either DeAndre Jordan or George Hill, and forces up a stupid 3-point shot that's only saved by the whistle that comes.

This is a scourge against the game. It's not basketball.

Chris Paul's not the only one who does this, either. George Hill used a similar move to get shots tonight, and the Rockets had 13 fouls called in their favor on 3-point shooting attempts in their shorter 5-game series. No matter the culprit, the crime needs to be stopped.

Agreed. Offensive players going into a defender and the defender being at fault is wrong. They better do something. It's horrible

Kevin Pelton @kpelton

The NBA won't solve call-seeking behavior until it starts calling fouls based on who created the contact rather than who owns the space.

9:51 PM - 27 Apr 2017

get it done. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Apparently the stars getting more calls will never go away. Yes I'm looking at you Chris Paul. :banghead:

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 12:12 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44040750&nid=304&title=jazz-shootaround-quotbuckle-upquot-freeway-signs-snyders-player-coach-relationships

"He's been so good for our team," Hayward said. "His preparation, his passion. He's always trying to find ways to help me, help the other guys on the team be successful. So detail-oriented. I think he's a huge part of our turnaround from 25 to 30 to 40 to 50 wins. He's been our leader, and we appreciate everything he's done."

Hayward told a story of when he first learned Snyder was going to coach the Jazz moving forward.

"I remember in Chicago, going out to eat when he got hired with my wife and him. We talked about life. We didn't talk about basketball at all. He started building the foundation then, and we've had talks and meals since then, and our relationship has really gotten pretty strong. I think you need a good relationship, coach-player, to take the team to the next level."

He's staying?

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 12:33 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5228173-155/kragthorpe-missed-shots-may-have-ended

So for the ninth straight time, a streak that began in 2001, the Jazz probably will go into the offseason having lost their last home playoff game.

a bit early for that isn't it? :wtf:

Rivers' adjustment for Game 6 was starting his son Austin in a three-guard look. Austin Rivers entered the series in Game 5 after being injured late in the season. He played 34 minutes, far beyond his supposed restriction, and scored 13 points. As Doc Rivers said, "What are we saving him for?"

I figured the minute restriction wouldn't matter in a do or die game

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 12:36 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5228259-155/utah-jazz-young-team-unable-to

[QUOTE] the core of this team lies at the feet of Gordon Hayward, Rudy Gobert, Hood and Derrick Favors. Making the postseason was one thing

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 12:40 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5228340-155/utah-jazz-notes-gordon-hayward-finds

Hayward and Snyder are close as player and coach. And after each game, the two have pored over film, offering mutual feedback, tossing suggestions back and forth.

He's staying?

Snyder shrunk his rotation in Friday's first half, playing seven people big minutes. Raul Neto and Derrick Favors played seven and five minutes, respectively.

Neto played well. Would have rather had him in there than Hood

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5226809-155/kragthorpe-utah-jazz-maximizing-iso-joe

The Iso Joe element is more like the Al Jefferson days of earlier this decade, when he operated in the low post and the offense often stagnated.

don't miss Al Ball! Joe will pass out of double teams too unlike Al

So Snyder plays along. "For a coach, you need to adapt to how you see the game," he said, "based on situations."

Something Jerry wasn't good at and that he had done better than Rivers before last night

Yet other than the season-opening game at Portland, where Johnson scored 29 points in Hayward's absence, few signs surfaced during the season to suggest he would have this kind of impact in the playoffs. Johnson scored 20-plus points only two other times, while producing shooting nights such as 0 for 4, 0 for 5, 0 for 5, 1 for 7 and 1 for 8.

Been doing it since before the break. They got him for the playoffs. They said it then. Someone that can isolate in the playoffs

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 01:41 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5225834-155/monson-two-rarities-honesty-and

Some of the criticism that's out there has been fair relative to maybe our payroll being low, our team being young, us not addressing a couple of issues at the trade deadline, and so I welcome all those questions. I'm eager to jump into analysis. It's a little quick to digest. But we'll do as good a job as possible answering those questions as best we can."

So what answers did you give? The team obviously is still shorthanded but you have cap space for the draft!

[QUOTE]It's impossible or irresponsible, then, to witness the progression of the Jazz, who are still a ways from authentic contention, without reflecting back on that day a year ago when Lindsey confessed his shortcomings, said he would analyze them and fix them. While they only partially may be repaired or built at this point

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678719/A-win-Friday-would-finally-put-Jazz-ahead-of-schedule.html

[QUOTE] Since being named general manager in August 2012, Dennis Lindsey has preached progress with patience. But a win in Game 6 of the playoffs can put a lot of that behind him.

No more

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 04:22 PM

As @Peter_J_Novak mentions, the Jazz could afford Millsap if Hill goes elsewhere. In that scenario, they could add a lower-cost vet PG.

Love to have him back! At the moment I'd trade him for Hill but is Hill the player he was early for the Jazz or the player post toe or somewhere in between?

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 04:30 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678851/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Haywood-doesnt-bother-Gordon-Hayward-Joe-Johnson-feeling-young.html

[QUOTE]There

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 04:42 PM
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-joe-johnson-resurgence-contract-utah-jazz-atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-clippers-bbd57ff5b1d8

At 6-foot-8 and 230 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan, Mbah a Moute is one of the longest and most active perimeter defenders in the NBA, with Synergy Sports placing him in the 92nd percentile of isolation defenders and the 95th percentile when defending the screener in the pick-and-roll.

definitely on the Jazz off season list!

[QUOTE]Johnson probably won

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 04:50 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678777/Jazz-following-their-leader-Quin-Snyder-on-their-road-to-success.html

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 05:51 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/28/15479642/nba-playoffs-2017-blizzard-overwatch-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-joe-johnson-mccree-high-noon

Joe has gone to the playoffs with each and every team he has been a part of by playoff time: the Phoenix Suns, Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets, Miami Heat, and now Utah Jazz. I suspect that part of the reason why he signed the Jazz was because he knew that this team would make it to the post-season. Another reason was because he knew that this team would need a guy like him when they got there.

No one ever mentions the 22 million! :rolleyes:

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 05:59 PM
http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2017/04/28/orlando-magic-also-ran-dennis-lindsey-could-provide-blueprint-for-success/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting. As I've said recently Lindsey could easily be Hennigan right now without the Gobert pick. Hayward would have been traded before they lost him and they might be in a similar place as Orlando.

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 06:13 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/4/28/15476538/nba-playoffs-2017-los-angeles-clippers-utah-jazz-chris-paul-john-stockton-history-books

Is CP3 even in the Top 3 at his right now? Really? In an era of Stephen Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas, and man, non-playoff version of Kyle Lowry?

Not sure I'd want any those guys over him myself.

Stockton CRUSHES Paul in everything besides shooting the ball a lot as a pass-first point guard and TV ads.

I'd say that's what would put Paul ahead. Stockton was too unselfish.

Xiao Yao You
04-29-2017, 06:52 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/28/utah-jazz-win-series-gordon-hayward-will-hard-time-justifying-departure/

[QUOTE]Take away the injuries that Utah had to wrestle with all year long and there

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 12:58 PM
The Golden State Warriors hope to get injured reserves Shaun Livingston and Matt Barnes back from injuries for the second round of the playoffs after having more than a week off between series. The Warriors said Saturday that Barnes has been upgraded to probable for Tuesday night

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 01:01 PM
The injury kept Gobert out of the final minutes of the Game 6 setback, which evened this entertaining first-round series at three wins apiece.

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Jody Genessy: Quin Snyder on Jazz going into Game 7:

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE]Chris Vivlamore‏: Paul Millsap finally admits he will

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 01:24 PM
The Golden State Warriors will celebrate the 2007

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 02:32 PM
David Locke @Lockedonsports
Boris Diaw has the best plus minus for any Jazz player in the series and the best defensive rating of any Jazz player

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 03:07 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/29/the-oddity-jazz-management-cant-control/

Management and ownership are committed to winning a title.

As in 13 million under the cap committed?

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 03:09 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/04/29/jazz-depth-may-be-a-mirage/

As Utah prepares to face a first-round Game 7, the only remaining question needing an answer is what happened to all that Jazz depth?

never had it

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE]Spencer Checketts: Quin on physicality of series:

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Aaron Falk: Tribune sources: Alec Burks may be shut down for the remainder of the playoffs with current knee injury. Final decision yet to be made

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Jody Genessy: Doc Rivers:

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 11:22 PM
Andy Larsen: Jazz win in Game 7 on the road 104-91! They win the 1st round series against LAC thanks to great games from Hayward (26p/8r), Favors (17/11)

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Ben Golliver: Chris Paul:

El Kabong
05-01-2017, 02:58 AM
Favors hasn't been great this year, but he came through when the team needed him in this game.

And hooboy, some of that officiating just stunk of the NBA wanting a LA/GS series more than a Utah/GS one.

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 04:00 AM
Favors hasn't been great this year, but he came through when the team needed him in this game.

And hooboy, some of that officiating just stunk of the NBA wanting a LA/GS series more than a Utah/GS one.

Yeah I'm not one to complain about the refs much but they were horrible especially when Paul was involved.

Favors had a nice series. The rest between games helped him. Hood not so much!

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 12:30 PM
The Clippers don

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Jamal Crawford: Tip your hat to the Jazz, hard fought series..

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE]After two straight losing seasons, the Jazz didn

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/jazz-back-warriors-get-used-seeing-playoffs-041131762.html

Lindsey has engineered a textbook rebuilding job: Draft well, hire a great, young innovative coach with a penchant for player development, and slowly, surely supplement the roster with winning veterans.

You forgot luck. Without Gobert they are the Orlando Magic

Lindsey adored All-Star forward Paul Millsap, but let him leave in free agency because there were limits to his spending with a young, developing roster.

Along with Demarre his first mistake. If they had been high priced contracts they left on it would have been one thing but I think they got like 11 million between them per year for 2 years! Or if they'd been like Al Jefferson. But Millsap and Demarree are the type of guys you want on your team.

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:24 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-paul-appears-kick-something-053049652.html

I thought it should have been a T. If the Jazz had done that over Paul it certainly would have been

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.1280thezone.com/recap-it-took-everything-for-jazz-to-win-game-7-104-91/

[QUOTE]Chris Paul

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.1280thezone.com/steve-cleveland-says-the-utah-jazz-should-take-confidence-into-series-against-golden-state/

[QUOTE]He said that good sign was that players who hadn

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 01:39 PM
http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2017/04/30/emptying-the-noggin-jazz-win-the-series/

[QUOTE]In some ways, as Ron pointed out, Favors was the more important big in this series. He is better at playing up on the pick-and-roll and he has a better chance to hit a midrange jump shot that DeAndre will give up every possession. In the series, Favors was 1-10 from outside 10 feet but today he nailed a few midrange shots. In addition, the amount of times on the broadcast that I said

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 02:24 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5234417-155/kragthorpe-jazzs-game-7-win-impresses

The world will frame this Game 7 outcome as something only the Clippers could do, crumbling with a home-court opportunity to advance. That's unfair to the Jazz, and so is the suggestion that the Clippers would have won this series with a healthy Blake Griffin.

Jazz looked better with or without Griffin. Rivers may have made a difference early on though. But the Jazz are the last team to look to for sympathy! :roll:

Game 7 was another moment that should help persuade Hayward to stay for more than just another playoff round.

I'd use could not should

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5234427-155/jazz-derrick-favors-owed-his-teammates

"I was struggling a lot this season with injuries and my teammates had to hold it down for me while I was out," Favors said later. "I felt like I owed them, especially in this game."

Consider the bill paid in full.

He's barely started to pay it

"He's different than Rudy," Snyder said. "He's a different style of player, and I think some of who he was tonight was a good fit for what we needed."

Where Gobert would roll to the rim and look for lobs, Favors' short-rolls led to open free-throw line jumpers. Where Gobert might sag back in pick-and-roll defense to protect the rim, Favors was asked to push up on the ball handler, helping hold L.A.'s Chris Paul to his lowest scoring total of the series.

Favors was not hitting those shots and the game plan as far as going out on the pick and roll was the same with Rudy. Rudy is just better at doing that and getting back to the rim

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678924/Jazz-beat-Clippers-in-Game-7-to-advance-to-conference-semifinals-against-Golden-State.html

"Not having Blake (Griffin) obviously is a major wound when you take your best scorer, your second-best rebounder, your second-best passer off a team, but give Utah credit.

Jazz were missing their 2 best players in games. Boo Hoo! :cry:

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 02:57 PM
MarkJonesESPN ✔ @MarkJonesESPN
The Jazz proved 2 things this year
1) Aquire proven vets (Iso Joe,Hill & Diaw) if you're serious about winning.
2) If you stay young=losing

already known facts. Why it took the jazz so long to figure out is the question

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 03:22 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2017/04/30/utah-jazz-star-gordon-hayward-nba-playoffs-golden-state-warriors-looming/101138186/?hootPostID=e43ec9ad8496f5199a9c141c76ffa1a7

[QUOTE]It was only three seasons ago that

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 06:34 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865678946/Clippers-notes-Down-a-star-Los-Angeles-cant-find-the-winning-solution-in-series-loss-to-Jazz.html

:cry:

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2017, 06:52 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat/2017/5/1/15498286/nba-playoffs-2017-utah-jazz-golden-state-warriors-los-angeles-clippers-derrick-favors-downbeat

[QUOTE]Derrick Favors, who we all universally love and want him to stay with the Jazz. He