PDA

View Full Version : The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 02:41 PM
another big one ahead

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:00 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44180652&nid=304&title=ben-anderson-gordon-hayward-saved-his-best-for-last

Without Hayward, the Jazz would likely struggle to compete for a playoff spot in 2018.

No reason they can't make the playoffs without him. See OKC.

Only time will tell if the Jazz waited too long to surround Hayward with competent veteran pieces capable of pushing the Jazz toward playoff competitiveness.

They waited too long regardless.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Kareem Copeland @kareemcopeland
Shelvin Mack said his offseason focus is on catch and shoot 3s since Snyder's system often has wings with the ball running pick and roll.

doubt you are back but you need to work on the 3 ball regardless

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:03 PM
David J. Smith @davidjsmith1232
I think Ingles could continue as the starting SG. Would love to see him be more aggressive. 10 PPG, 4 APG, 4 RPG could be doable.

Based on his performance in Oakland I would only want him as an end of the bench vet on the cheap. Doubt he'll come cheap though

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Tony Jones @tribjazz
Joe Ingles on Hayward: I truly believe he loves it here
19m

kristen kenney ✔ @kristenkenney
Ingles agrees with Hill that Gordon Hayward's heart is in Utah. #JazzNation
17m

kristen kenney ✔ @kristenkenney
Joe Ingles - "I'm pretty close to Gordon ... all the guys who are free this year would much rather stay" #JazzNation
21m

Great words to hear from Jazz fans. And, IMO, Ingles' re-signing would go a long way with Hayward.

Hayward will be signed before Ingles unless he makes the all-NBA team abd opts in which seems unlikely. If Hayward wants to leave some money on the table for Hill and Ingles I'm sure that would be welcome.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE]Jody Genessy @DJJazzyJody
George Hill said Gordon Hayward's decision will factor into his decision: "He

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Joe Johnson didn't really think there was a big need for next year. Bring everyone back and be healthy so roles are more established.

Plenty of need from what we just saw in that series. Hayward, Gobert and who?

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:14 PM
George Hill, obviously, said Gordon Hayward's decision will influence his this summer. Said they'll be in contact throughout the process.
2h

Tony Jones @tribjazz
Hill: The group we have here is more than enough

Sounds like Hayward, Hill and Ingles could be a package deal. Doubt Boston or anyone else can offer that

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Johnnie Bryant's role in Hayward's free agency should not be ignored. Hayward success is connected to Bryant's hard work over many years.

So was Millsap's but he was told to go! :rant

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Dennis Lindsey, one of the league's best up-and-coming GMs is also in place for several years. He made moves around GH & RG.

Tell me how goo he is now that he doesn't have money and time to play around with anymore!

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5271088-155/utah-jazz-george-hills-first-season

Hopefully we can continue to build in the future here and have fun doing it."

Sounds like he wants to be here

"Most of it was they were trying to recommend that I would sit out a lot longer earlier in the season because they thought it would come back if I didn't let it rest right," Hill said. "But I'm hardheaded and wanted to play and took that chance."

Cost yourself and the team. :rant

"The group that I have here," he added, "is more than enough."

:applause:

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Tony Jones @tribjazz
Favors says he feels 100 percent heading into the offseason, which wasn't the case last year at this time
1h

Tony Jones @tribjazz
Derrick Favors said his top priority this offseason is to get healthy and get back to the player he once was

He's 100% but wants to get healthy? Haven't looked 100%

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Andy Larsen: Dennis Lindsey will not be available today, because he

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Boris Diaw had some nice games in the Playoffs. Do you think the Jazz pick-up his $7,5M team option?

can't see it

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Will Alec Burks be on the Jazz roster come training camp?

yes. has to show value first

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Withey also said he'd love to be here, but understand the business side of things. I think his situation depends on who UTA drafts.

He's gone regardless. The fact that he was in street clothes instead of Lyles already tells you that. They think he's guilty already and he doesn't shoot 3's

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Jazz need to draft a center

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Dante Exum was pretty clear about point guard being his preferred position.

prove you can play at all first!

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:29 PM
I agree. Seemed a bit frustrated. You can tell he has motivation to make a jump next season.

I would hope so! He could be playing in the Australian league if he doesn't!

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Dante Exum doesn't plan on playing Summer League. Wants to work on midrange game this summer - floater and pull-up.

You should play in summer league along with Lyles. Work on your finish? 3? D without your hands?

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE]Jody Genessy: Derrick Favors said he likes his role in Utah going forward:

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE]1280 The Zone‏: Alec Burks: Alec Burks:

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Assuming both are on the Jazz roster next season, who do you think should eb the starting shooting guard?
Rodney Hood
Joe Ingles
Alec Burks

Exum ideally

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE]DJJazzyJody: Rodney Hood: "Coming off the bench was an adjustment for me. I

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 05:02 PM
DJJazzyJody: Rodney Hood's offseason plans: "Just lock myself into the gym this summer, do whatever it takes to become the player I want to become."

i.e. contract year!

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Brandon Judd @brandonljudd
🎥: Raul Neto on learning from George Hill: "He helped me a lot with understanding the game and being more aggressive"

too bad he can't teach you length. You might play over lesser players!

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Could Joel Bolomboy develop into a solid back-up center as early as next season? He's guaranteed for 17-18.

He's too small for the 4 now. I'd say back-up PF and possibly starter once Favors is moved

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Trey Lyles: "I think Gordon (Hayward) has a few incentives to stay here. I think we will see him back here next year for sure."

He eats with Hayward and Ingles so he may know something

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 08:25 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679586/Standing-pat-will-get-Jazz-near-the-top-but-contending-requires-more.html

[QUOTE]So if being good is good enough, the Jazz should stand pat and keep as many players as they can. But if greatness is the goal, they

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 08:43 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5271408-155/kragthorpe-jazz-must-find-permanent-solution

Deron Williams? He'll be available as a free agent, and his playoff performance in Cleveland has shown he can help a team in the right role.

the right role is a back-up

Hill, who played for a bargain salary of $8 million in 2016-17.

not necessarily a bargain on a per game basis.

Hill clearly was worth the trade for the No. 12 pick in last June's draft.

not if they lose him

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 09:09 PM
The Exum fans are apparently ready to can Snyder because of Dante's interview! :roll:

I think they are reading way too much in to it. I've been very critical of both for good reason. But Quin proved a lot to me in the playoffs. Dante has proven he's an NBAer probably but certainly a lot to prove as far as being a rotation player or a starter as his fans would like. Show us you are as great as you and your fan club apparently think you are. You've had plenty of opportunity to do so. 1 more year.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 09:37 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/09/utah-jazz-despite-improvements-point-guard-once-again-major-focus/

All throughout the 2015-16 season, one of the biggest issues facing the Utah Jazz was their lack of a solid and reliable point guard. With Dante Exum sidelined with the ACL injury, the point duties largely fell to Raul Neto, who earned his spot as the starter for much of the season, and the disappointing Trey Burke, who served as his backup.

Actually I'd say both were solid and reliable. Burke was a bad fit and Neto is probably better suited to a back-up role for a top team and I guess a bad fit too since He doesn't have 6'8" length or better.

[QUOTE]Then there

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Bryant says he also talks regularly with Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving, MVP candidates James Harden and Russell Westbrook and Utah Jazz star Gordon Hayward, whom Kobe spent three days training with in Orange County last summer.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2017, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE]Team president Steve Starks announced Tuesday that the Utah Jazz Summer League will be back for a second year. The event will take place July 3, 5 and 6 at the Huntsman Center at the University of Utah and will feature the same teams that were involved in 2016, with the San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers joining the Jazz.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 09:17 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19345960/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-decided-opt-become-unrestricted-free-agent

Snyder said he has tried to emphasize to the Jazz's free agents that "until they're somewhere else, they're part of us."

Can't see that including Withey when Lyles dressed ahead of him!

Hill said that Hayward's decision will influence his own free-agent future.

You think? I doubt the Jazz would sign you or Ingles without him. I could actually see them tanking again despite Rudy already proving it's very hard to do with him on the floor

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 09:46 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44188554&nid=304&title=jazz-players-talk-about-haywards-free-agency-other-notes-from-jazz-end-of-season-interviews

But knowing Ingles wants to stay in Utah (and that the Jazz want him back as well) will definitely decrease interest from other teams.

Hopefully it brings the price down because after his play in Oakland I don't think they should pay much to have him back at his age.

"If Favors was healthy, why wasn't he much of a contributor in the second round? Why did he seem limited moving up and down the floor? Is this the new Favors?"

Well that's the fear. His knee has supposedly been bothering him since summer though the brief moment we saw him in pre-season before he was first shut down I thought he looked improved and was expecting big things from him this year. He also mentioned being happy with his role. Maybe he will be with them past this year as Rudy's back-up on a much cheaper deal? Not sure I really like that because he's still too up and down. His ups are a pretty good back-up but unless he starts hitting the 3 consistently they wouldn't want him anyway. Maybe more likely he gets dealt before the season stars if he's not going to get any better than what we've seen though.

Burks does hope, though, that he'll be back to full athleticism by the time next season begins.

That was the plan last year too! Hopefully he does. He was a good player and one of the funnest to watch play even if the Jazz don't appreciate him

Lyles plans on regaining form and consistency in his jump shot this summer.

Well if the only thing you are going to do is shoot you better be very good at it. I hope he's going to work on other parts of his game like defending, rebounding and yes passing the ball. Summer League? I know everyone thinks he dominated there last year but all he did was shoot the ball as we saw this season. Would love to see him dominate the summer league by involving his teammates and making everyone around him better however it takes. He should have been in the D-league doing that.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 10:00 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679565/Jazz-season-recap.html

a Northwest Division title

who cares!

[QUOTE] The Stifle Tower

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 10:12 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3895/0/Utah-Jazz-A-look-at-each-players-contract-status-and-outlook-for-next-season.html

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE]what? no takers?
well what I really meant to post was that I can

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE]Lol I really do think you are right. There is clearly a divide between the two.
At this point if it

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 10:49 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/10/reactions-utah-jazz-end-season-interviews/3/

it made me realize even more how beneficial it is for the younger players to have an experienced and talented guy like him on the team

too bad the Jazz hadn't figured it out earlier. Might have helped Exum for example

[QUOTE]given how little of an impact he

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 05:14 PM
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-utah-jazz-gordon-hayward-dante-exum-d651f847be78

it’d be hard to say the team’s style is a detriment (it’s really not)

They still have too many bad possessions because of rushed shots at the end of the clock

Should Hill depart and Utah not be able to lure a player on the caliber of Kyle Lowry, the Jazz will be taking a huge step back in the short term

I'm not sure there is a better fit out there than him at the one but what if they get Mills and Millsap for example? Is that a huge step back?

the Jazz landed three ABC broadcasts over the course of the season (the first time they’d been on an over-the-air network since 2001); I’d bet that number plummets back down to zero if Shelvin Mack is the team’s full-time starter next season.

I'm guessing they are on national tv a lot more next year if Hayward stays and probably on Christmas. Hill staying or leaving won't change that. I highly doubt Mack will be back regardless though they better have a proven vet other than Neto.

Exum has offered enough in the Warriors series to convince the team that his potential is worth investing in.

They're already invested for another year. Beyond that he's got a lot more convincing to do

But entrusting him with starting point guard duties, even as he enters his fourth season, is a dicey proposition.

Would be idiotic! No way he should be ahead of Neto right now.

as Jazz fans will tell you, Dante will soon be entering his first real NBA offseason (his past two were spent in rehabilitation).

He had a good couple of months after his rookie year including the infamous summer league game

If Game 4 brought any positive to the organization, it’s that Exum exuberantly reclaimed a spot within the team’s core.

It was one quarter! He sucked in the second half. We've seen it before from him.

They’ve become the model for how quickly a team can ascend from the dregs of the league to get a seat at the table among the elites.

Really? Let 2 of your best young vets go. Get lucky with Gobert and after he makes you a top 6 team you continue to tank instead of going all in. Only when Hayward is ready bolt and the league has a one time boost in tv money and you have little choice but to spend a little of it do you finally get some vets to surround your youth. Not what I'd call a great plan really. Without Rudy they are Orlando.

Xiao Yao You
05-10-2017, 05:43 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/09/utah-jazz-nba-offseason-preview-gordon-hayward-george-hill

Utah let Hayward hit restricted free agency and sign an offer sheet with the Hornets for three seasons (with a fourth–year player option) instead of a longer contract with them.

This doesn't seem like a great model either!

NBA’s rules concerning free agency are tremendously unfair to players who join the league when they are older, as Ingles will be in his 30s before his first time on the truly open market.

Especially since this will be his 2nd time as a restricted free agent. Didn't know it even worked like that!

If Hayward and Hill return, Utah will need to maximize the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception and sign a big man whether or not they retain Diaw.

Don't count on it. First off I see Favors starting at the 4 and backing up Rudy until he shows he is his old self and they trade him after the December deadline for off season guys being able to be traded.

Second I'm not sure they will have any money left especially if they pay Ingles. Probably still be paying Burks until he too can show he is back and they can trade him after December. Likely have Johnson backing up Favors though I'd trade him after his 2nd round.

Third, they have Bolomboy and Lyles in line to play especially Bolomboy I'd think after the brief glimpse we had of him. I'd be looking to move Lyles too though I'm not sure there's much of a market after the year he had though he is skilled. Another reason why it made little sense to not at least showcase him in the D-league once he was finally benched for good. Maybe a draft day deal packaged with picks, cap space etc. Might have to hope for a big or 2 coming after December in a Favors/Burks deal.

Willie Reed, Roy Hibbert or Tiago Splitter could back up Gobert.

They don't shoot the 3! Might as well bring the girlfriend beater back. I could see Diaw being back on a cheaper deal. Though hopefully at the end of the bench not in the rotation

One fascinating possibility would be former Utah Ute Andrew Bogut if he cannot find a suitor offering a larger role.

They supposedly liked him after his buyout but he doesn't shoot the 3. Might still have Booker if they weren't in love with the 3

After all, Hayward knows all too well how hard it can be to win without a talented point guard and it would make Boston look much better by comparison.

Than he goes to a team without a rim protector and arguably the best center in the league

Favors’s free agency next summer may put some pressure on the team to move him ahead of time if they are worried about bringing him back.

Seems likely he is gone regardless. The good news with him if he returns to form he could have a lot of trade value because he can sign an extension and isn't just an expiring deal. Maybe former teammate Earl Watson takes him into cap space and the Jazz get some cheap young assets for him for example?

While Utah could simply cut Diaw to clear extra salary cap or luxury tax room, another team could be very interested in him at his $7.5 million salary for next season, which could create another small asset.

that would be nice after giving up a potential young player to get him

The other key element which may affect the Jazz this off–season is ownership’s willingness to pay the luxury tax long term. Utah’s crop of talented young players have largely moved from bargain rookie scale deals to more fully valued contracts and that sets the table for very expensive teams moving forward. If their ownership is concerned about those costs, they could seek to mitigate them as early as this summer. Utah can also negotiate extensions with both Rodney Hood and Dante Exum, but that will likely occur after they have a clearer vision of what the rest of their team will look like. Even so, it adds to a truly massive off–season for Lindsey and the Jazz.

The big thing I've yet to seen addressed is how the legacy deal will affect them possibly paying some tax moving forward. I doubt they will pay any but that could change things as the profits are supposed to go back into the team though those might already be gone with the renovations going on at the arena and practice facility

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 09:12 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44198673&nid=304&title=what-does-dant-exums-future-with-the-jazz-hold

[QUOTE]One of which is the improvement of Dant

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44198227&nid=304&title=joel-bolomboy-develops-with-the-stars-jazz-over-rookie-season

"We got to the end of the year where there were some situations where we felt Joel could really help," Snyder said in his end of season interview. "We were prepared to play him, but it didn't turn out that I did."

Twice he got quality minutes! It's too bad. From what we saw he could have helped them. They should have sent Lyles and Exum to the D-league when they weren't playing and Bolomboy had proved himself down there.

I keep hearing them say he's a center and he did a good job there when he helped bring them back the one night but he's built more like a small forward. He could defend on the perimeter and hit a 3. I'd look to make him more of a 3 small ball 4 unless he can get a lot stronger.

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679668/Point-guard-position-for-Jazz-uncertain-going-forward-with-free-agent-George-Hill-and-3-part-time.html

the Jazz may not be able to pay him what another franchise may offer.

I don't think they necessarily have to depending on the franchise. I don't see him going to NJ for example. SA I could see if they can pay him. Not sure they can or even want to with Parker, their own free agent in Mills and their 1st rounder from last year in the fold

[QUOTE] he dismissed the idea that he is injury

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 09:59 AM
http://saltcityhoops.com/staff-scrimmage-2016-17-macro-and-the-road-ahead/

[QUOTE] if two of Derrick Favors, Rodney Hood and Hill had played 75-80 games at near 100 percent, how many games do the Jazz win? And aren

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 10:05 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/utah-jazz-game-coverage/2017/5/11/15621596/nba-playoffs-2017-golden-state-warriors-121-utah-jazz-95-game-4-recap

[QUOTE]Nearly 40 points, in a quarter, on our home court! This is like the school bully coming over to your house and slapping your mom. I don

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Tony Jones: Former Lone Peak star Frank Jackson will meet with 12 teams at the Draft combine, including the Utah Jazz, league sources tell The Tribune

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:26 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Frank-Jackson-89588/

Another big pg with some length but he can shoot and score. Might need work with D and passing

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:30 PM
David

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE]Diaw, 35, would be owed $7.5 million if the Jazz picked up his option for next season.

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5279609-155/monson-many-jazz-players-love-utah

Joe Johnson was asked what he thought about coming and playing here, a place he knew little about before arriving.

"I've played in some great cities, and [Salt Lake's] a great city, as well. But for me, it was kind of stepping out of the box a little bit."

He also was asked if he'd use his persuasive power, his considerable cred among fellow NBA players, after playing in the league for 16 years, to get free agents to sign in Utah. He said he would.

He won't if they trade him and they need to

Second-year player Trey Lyles said he feels completely comfortable in Utah, although his response carried some baggage: "It's a lot nicer than what you would think."

Beats Indiana!

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Rod Beard: #Michigan

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 07:34 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Moritz-Wagner-85701/

Doesn't look like anyone to get too excited about

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Adam Zagoria: Duke

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 10:37 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19343807/nba-execs-stay-draft-return-school

Mo Wagner, Michigan Wolverines

A skilled, 6-foot-11 Germany native, Wagner is intriguing. His is a small sample size, though. He had a huge game against Louisville in the NCAA tournament with 26 points but was mediocre in the other two tournament games. "He has a lot of holes in his game," one NBA executive said. "He needs to become a better rebounder and defender." Added another executive: "I know he can shoot it, but he needs to get stronger and be more physical."

Range: Second round to undrafted

NBA says: Back to school

Frank Jackson, Duke Blue Devils

This is an interesting one. And it's about more than what will happen this week at the combine. It also has to do with the impending decision of top-ranked high school senior point guard Trevon Duval. Jackson wasn't able to showcase that he was a point guard as a freshman in Durham but should get an opportunity in front of NBA guys to play with the ball in his hands. Jackson is a likely second-rounder, and his decision is complicated by the return of Grayson Allen and the possible addition of Duval. "If he goes back to school, I think he can definitely play his way into a first-rounder," one NBA executive told ESPN.

Range: Second round

Eric Mika, BYU Cougars

Mika, a 6-foot-10 big man, came back from a two-year mission trip and was extremely productive, averaging 20.3 PPG and 9.2 RPG. Most NBA guys feel he would go somewhere in the middle of the second round. They are torn about whether he should go back to school, largely because he turns 23 in January. "I'd like to see him go back and work on extending his range," one NBA executive said.

Range: Mid second round

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 10:40 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-draft-combine-dates-start-time-details-television-players-attending-full-list-050817

[QUOTE]Frank Jackson, G, Duke

In a topsy-turvy season at Duke that was filled with injuries, a month-long absence from Coach K and one, ahem,

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
https://fansided.com/2017/05/09/nba-free-agency-2017-5-offseason-needs-utah-jazz/

The 7-foot-0 big man from Gonzaga can really stretch the floor and shoot from the perimeter, something the Jazz are desperately missing from their bigs. Collins played 17.2 minutes per game this season as a true freshman. The most impressive thing to Collins is how he glides like a gazelle on the floor, combined with a pure shooting stroke from deep. The Gonzaga freshman shot 47.6 percent from 3 and even possess the potential to be an elite shot blocker at times with 1.8 blocks per game in college. Having Derrick Favors in house will allow Utah to be patient if they are able to draft Zach Collins, and also provides an insurance policy if they need to move on from Favors.

I don't remember him particularly sticking out in the games against BYU but a 3 point shooter and potential rim protecting center sound like their guy! Could he play alongside Rudy eventually? I could see packaging Lyles and Wallace in a deal with picks too.

[QUOTE]With plus handles and the ability to defend, Trey Lyles

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 11:07 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5281581-155/nba-combine-byus-eric-mika-looks

[QUOTE]Mika, meanwhile, is asking himself how he can develop faster as a player

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 11:19 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5280502-155/utah-jazz-derrick-favors-out-to

There was the bone contusion in his knee that wouldn't go away, a consistent pain that bothered him from day one of training camp.

So how did it not get better during the summer when it was supposedly bothering him? The one pre-season game he played he looked great. Never looked as good again. May never?

Favors looked forward to the summer Tuesday, and to the day when he finally will be pain free.

But he says he's 100%! :rolleyes:

Favors will go home to Atlanta for the offseason and train there. He will take a few weeks off, then begin working on his skillset. He wants to lose at least 20 pounds this summer, which he hopes will help his knees. Like the past two summers, Favors wants to extend his range and hone his jump shot out to the 3-point line.

He supposedly had already lost a bumch of weight. Interesting that he's going back to Atlanta. He lives in SLC now and has been working out here mostly I believe. His 3 looked pretty good the few times he let it fly. Needs to shoot a ton of them so it becomes 2nd nature. He showed signs of being able to maybe become a different kind of player on the perimeter with shooting and passing.

If Favors comes back healthy and he's able to consistently make jumpers, his defense along with Gobert makes the Jazz a special team. But his future with the Jazz becomes clouded if they continue to play him as a backup center.

"We understand it's a business," Prather said. "Derrick loves the Jazz and wants to be here. But we also know he could be the odd man out. Right now he's just focused on getting healthy and playing like he knows he can."

The question will be even if he gets healthy rather they will be a better team with him or without him and rather they will be able to afford him. If he doesn't get healthy they may keep him as Rudy's back-up for a lot less money especially if he could start hitting the 3.

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2017, 11:30 PM
https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2017/05/11/bits-from-locker-room-cleanout-2017/

[QUOTE]Rodney Hood: Just lock myself in the gym this summer. You know, that

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE]Eddie Sefko: Baylor

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 10:37 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/11/2017-nba-draft-combine-measurements-scrimmages-hamidou-diallo-rawle-alkins

[QUOTE]measured well at 6

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 10:46 AM
http://hoopshabit.com/2017/05/10/gordon-hayward-5-potential-landing-spots-free-agency/6/

[QUOTE]Unless the Celtics planned on playing small with Hayward and Crowder at the 3 and 4, they

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 10:55 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/12/should-the-utah-jazz-target-kyle-lowry-this-summer/

[QUOTE]He isn

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: Duke freshman guard Frank Jackson will remain in the 2017 NBA Draft and hire an agent, league sources tell @The Vertical.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44220038&nid=304&title=who-played-well-who-disappointed-in-2016-17-for-the-jazz

Ingles was one of the Jazz's most important players all season long and deserves the raise he has coming his way.

Hopefully someone else is paying it

I don't know that Lyles' defense got worse too, but it became more irksome that he was bad defensively when he wasn't adding anything on offense. And it seems like he could be a better playmaker for others: he has the passing and floor reading skills, but too often seems to focus on his own look.

Lyles has to get right this offseason. The first step is figuring out his shot and what went wrong there. He has to be a consistent shooter. But even beyond that, you'd like for him to add secondary skills to be a truly positive player in the league. In a season where he could have earned the starting spot, Lyles ended up out of the rotation.

Not often but almost always he is playing 1 on 5. If he'd been hitting shots you maybe get away with it but he wasn't. He could be out of the league in a year if he doesn't get it together. Bolomboy has already passed him

Rodney Hood didn't take the expected leap forward this year, in fact, he probably regressed.

He was better before the flu

not the healthy Favors we're used to. His scoring went from 16 points per game all the way down to nine, and he couldn't finish at the rim with his usual explosion. He also found his role of big man screener usurped by Gobert's development, leaving him without natural scoring opportunities. He actually had the best mid-range shooting year of his career, but just didn't fit with the rest of the Jazz's starting unit, which performed better without Favors on the floor. I'd be somewhat surprised if he's still a Jazzman next season

Never really been healthy. I'd think they start the year with him if they think he can regain his form/

Exum's trademark defensive stickiness disappeared because of reduced lateral quickness

Which I warned may be the case coming off hat injury. Everyone assumed he wouldn't miss a beat

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 02:37 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5283947-155/utah-jazz-dant%C3%A9-exum-believes-hes

Exum believes he could be an "energy guy" for the Jazz next season, helping to avoid some of the slow starts that troubled them throughout the season and certainly during their postseason run.

"I've been able to bring that on the floor," he said. "It's not just being that ra-ra guy. Just kind of come out and defend and do the right thing and guys will follow, just lead in that type of way. I think that's important for us."

He usually played with little energy though

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 05:59 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/12/utah-jazz-shift-gears-preparation-2017-nba-draft/

[QUOTE]One player who drew interest locally was French national Jonathan Jeanne, who was one of several players that met with the Jazz.

Jeanne is represented by Bouna Ndiaye, who is also the agent for Jazz center Rudy Gobert. The two have actually met on multiple occasions and Jeanne posted some Gobert-like numbers at the combine. The 19-year-old checked in at 7-foot-2 in shoes with a 7-foot-6

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Vincent Ellis: Michigan

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 07:29 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/D.J.-Wilson-82837/

Long and shoots the 3. In their draft range too it would appear

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 07:43 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/12/utah-jazz-alec-burks-become-untradeable/

I'm sure they could trade him. It's a matter of throwing in picks for someone to take on the contract.

As far as his play I thought he looked good for someone that supposedly was far from 100%. I can see him back to his old self again. He's not old. Probably not a great fit for the Jazz but hopefully he returns to form and they can move him after December.

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2017, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE]Rudy Gobert announced he won

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 10:22 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5287103-155/monson-heres-how-the-jazz-could

That alignment starts with Gordon Hayward returning. With all the work and opportunity the Jazz handed over to Hayward, watching that flow down the drain in free agency would be a kick to the tenders. If they lose their primary guy, short of signing a replacement free agent such as Jimmy Butler, they'd be hard-pressed to get back to 45 or 50 anytime soon.

Still have Gobert. They can build a winner around him. They are a year behind. This year they should have been pushing 60 anyway.

No. 2 is the potential hole at point guard being spackled. If George Hill leaves, what are the Jazz going to do? Dante Exum believes he's the answer. While that kind of confidence is encouraging for Quin Snyder, it's far from a sure thing. Exum has to eliminate the frequent trips of the past when he got himself into situations that caused either a turnover or a bad shot. If he's capable of the kind of improvement that served Hayward and Gobert so well, he will play in the NBA for many years and make a whole lot of money. If he can't, he'll be seen as a dubious fifth overall draft pick.

Hayward was a good NBA rotation player immediately! Gobert was by the start of his 2nd year. They played well with Dante as a rookie but he was no NBA player offensively and still isn't except for flashes. Can't see going into next year with him even penciled in the rotation. He needs to earn that still.

There are a few good floor leaders who will be on the move this offseason.

Not sure any fit as well as Hill. I think they need to pay him. It's easier now because I think you can let Ingles walk. Trade Johnson. Move Favors and Burks after the season start. That's more than enough to pay Hill this year. In years to come it may get more difficult as some of their young guys get paid. Front load it if you can? Go with a mix of rookie contracts and cheap vets and the exception to fill out the rest of the roster.

No. 3 is gaining another quality wing player who can straight shoot or shoot straight.

What the Jazz have now is inadequate for their intentions. It's a position management thought was covered by Hayward, Rodney Hood, Joe Johnson, Joe Ingles and Alec Burks. That's one of the reasons the Jazz took Trey Lyles in the draft two years ago instead of Devin Booker. They figured the need was greater at the 4 rather than the 3 or the 2. Exum can also play shooting guard, or so it was thought.

But Hood, in particular, was erratic this season, and it could be attributable, at least in part, to his bad knee. Hood shot 40 percent during the regular season and 35 percent during the playoffs, including 26 percent from deep. When he was hot, he was really hot. When he was cold, his attempts were ricocheting off the rim and glass like hucked Super-balls. That really hurt the Jazz, at times.

Hood started out the year good. He was consistent before he lost weight with the flu and the injuries that followed. They really need Exum to step up here. Neto could handle the back-up pg duties. I think Burks could be big too though they will probably trade him. Need some cheaper options than Ingles and Johnson that can hopefully match up with the Warriors though.

Ingles was a revelation, if the Jazz can re-sign him, that would help. Johnson is terrific because of his versatility, playing both forward spots. He's also got many rings around the trunk, making it problematic for the Jazz to rely too heavily on him. They need more.

It's all about catching up with the Warriors now. Johnson couldn't and Ingles only did at home. Ingles has to go unless it's cheap or Hayward insists on it. If Hayward wants him he needs to take less money. I see him as an end of the bench guy now ideally

Burks has become an enigma on account of his nagging injuries. He spoke confidently last week about his ability to return to action and help his team. Still, at some juncture, you have to wonder if it will ever happen. He's a unique athlete, but if an athlete is perpetually in rehab, he could hit from anywhere and jump through the roof, and nobody would care.

Unlike Johnson and Ingles he is young and no one else wants him now. Have to hope he can get healthy because he is owed a lot!

Or if they should make a major move, at some expense, to ensure the weakness is made a strength.

Can they make a major move after Hayward and Hill? To me the major move will have to come during the season if Favors and Burks return to form and can be moved

[QUOTE]No. 4 has less to do with decisions by Jazz executives and more with good fortune, or better preparation and prevention

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 11:05 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5287040-155/kragthorpe-gordon-hayward-will-stay-with

I would endorse Hayward's departure if it involves reuniting with Stevens in Boston and joining a Celtics team that performed better in the playoffs against Golden State than the Jazz did. If the Celtics come reasonably close to winning a championship, while the Jazz's hopes of overtaking Golden State in the Western Conference appear unlikely, that combination would create a strong argument for Hayward's moving.

Regardless I wouldn't blame him for leaving. While the Jazz are counting money the Celtics will do whatever it takes to win it all.

When I wrote similar words in July 2014, as Hayward shopped for offers as a restricted free agent, some percentage of Jazz fans took the opposing viewpoint. They wondered why the Jazz would spend a lot of money for an undistinguished player. And when the Jazz matched Charlotte's offer and I quoted Hayward as saying he wouldn't feel pressure living up to his contract, they became more angry.

He wasn't worth the max at the time he signed it. Thanks to the tv deal it became a bargain this season. If they had any foresight they would have given him the max and not matched Charlotte's offer. They might have two more years of him on that contract instead. Obviously he has now earned however much he wants based on his playoff performance.

My advice: Cheer for the Cavs.

If the Celtics get destroyed by GS it may be better for the Jazz

But in the Jazz's case, winning another 50-plus games in 2017-18 seems impossible, if he's playing anywhere else.

I don't think so. They should have been a 50 win team last year and should have won a lot more this year. Imagine a healthy Favors, Hood and Burks and a healthy and re-signed Hill with money left to sign some help. Portland didn't fall apart when Aldridge left. No reason they can't be a better defensive team without Hayward. Put some more shooting around Gobert.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 12:11 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679907/Big-questions-loom-2-Hayward-Hill-Ingles-2-but-Jazz-confident-going-into-offseason.html

[QUOTE]The Jazz have only eight other players who are certain to be under contract with them next season, barring a trade: Derrick Favors ($11.8 million), Alec Burks ($10.6 million), Joe Johnson ($10.5 million), Dante Exum ($5 million), Trey Lyles ($2.4 million), Rodney Hood ($2.4 million), Raul Neto ($1.5 million) and Joel Bolomboy ($1.3 million).

The returning Jazz players

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 12:21 PM
https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2017/05/13/these-weeks-in-the-utah-jazz-last-of-the-season/

[QUOTE]The question is, how scarred is he from the first three years? And

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Now the Jazz have to make the toughest decision of the offseason; whether to re-sign Hill or to let him walk.

I think it's easy unless another star caliber player becomes available to them.

Put simply, even if the Jazz trade Alec Burks and his huge contract, and re-sign Ingles and Hayward cheaper than expected, they still won’t have the money to throw at a ‘superstar’ if they keep George Hill.

Who is this superstar they can get? Hill was playing like a star in November. Johnson and Diaw's contracts are probably close to what you need to pay Hill.

The decision to keep or cut Hill will largely be decided by how much he requests on his contract. I say, anything over 12 million a year and you have to let him go, because it takes away any chance of getting another great player this summer. He will almost definitely demand that kind of money, and if the Jazz won’t give him upwards of that, I’m sure a lot of other teams will.

I have a reason as to why the Jazz have to take a risk and cut Hill. I hate to be a bummer to all you die-hard Jazz fans out there, but as long as LeBron James is still roaming an NBA court and playing at that once-in-a-generation level, and Golden State has that much star power, the Jazz will never beat either team with their current roster.

They match up well with Cleveland actually. Their length gave them issues. GS is the team you are gunning for. It's why you let Johnson and Ingles go. They are old and didn't play well against them. You pay Hill unless you can get someone else of his caliber and I don't think there are many of those out there.

No disrespect to Hill, but with a couple added years of development to Exum, Gobert, Hood, Lyles, Bolomboy, etc. they could contend if you put a player like Jimmy Butler, Paul George or Chris Paul (you’d learn to love him) in the place of Hill.

George wants to play in LA from the sound of it. Paul isn't coming and actually isn't as good of a fit as Hill. I'd give them everyone but Hayward and Gobert and I don't think you get Butler. Boston can offer more even if they get Hayward. They were trying to get Butler and George on the same team from the sound of it. That's why Boston is probably the place for Hayward. The young guys you love may or may not be able to play with GS. Hood and Exum have until February to prove themselves or you probably look to trade them too.

Tell me you wouldn’t want to see Chris Paul, the best pick and roll player of the last decade and the NBA’s best point guard in a lineup with a more developed Dante Exum, Rodney Hood, Gordon Hayward and Rudy Gobert. Now that team has a chance against the star-studded Warriors and LeBron’s Cavaliers.

Realistic? :facepalm

If George Hill stays, he will almost surely be on a contract big enough to destroy the possibility of an All-Star signing this offseason. Thus, the next thing to do would be to keep all of the key pieces that turned the Jazz into a playoff team this season. This starts by re-signing Boris Diaw.

Diaw has to go unless it's on a cheaper deal and for an end of the bench role

Joe Ingles made it perfectly clear that he wants to play with the Jazz next season so I’m praying that he’s happy to take a slight discount to stay with the Jazz. I’m going to say $10,000,000 for next year (for the following calculations anyway). If George Hill stays, I have him on roughly $17,000,000.

Good bye Joe!

If the above is correct (it won’t be, but it should be close), Utah will be paying their 13-man roster $130,865,869, before you take away the contract of Alec Burks who the Jazz will likely trade. The Jazz would also have to re-sign Shelvin Mack and Jeff Withey to maintain their current roster (minus Burks). So Utah would have already burst the salary cap. In other words, they can not possibly keep under the cap if they re-sign Hayward, Hill, Diaw and Ingles.

So after adding it all up, Boris Diaw only stays if Hill leaves and they are unable to pay a big-time player, or either Joe Ingles or Gordon Hayward don’t re-sign. The other possible scenario is Derrick Favors being traded which could clear enough cap space.

Mack, Withey, Diaw, Ingles, Johnson gone. Hayward and Hill signed. Diaw possibly to a cheaper deal. Go into the season like that possibly over the tax line. Can make trade later to get under the tax line once some guys improve their stock. Also have 2 G-league/NBA duel contracts this year. Should have mostly vets at the end of the bench ideally now.

If the Jazz were to lose George Hill this offseason, the first priority would be to sign a good veteran point guard on a relatively small contract. Former Utah Jazz star Deron Williams comes to mind. He will be a free agent this summer and could likely come back to the Jazz for his final years.

Not ideal. They need a vet starter. He would be best on the bench. Neto should be the back-up there

Another player I’m sure the Jazz will have their eyes on is Patty Mills. He is tailor made for the offense in Utah and could come at a nice price. Patty Mills took a very small contract in hopes he could win a title with the Spurs. Let’s hope he would take the same discount to play with the Jazz.

He's my guy if Hill is gone. Might take Hill going to SA for it to happen though and I'm not sure if that's in the works or not? Parker is out until the middle of next season but they have their first rounder from last year as well as Hanlan and probably many others waiting for their shot. A chance to start in Utah might be enough to get him but he's probably starting in SA at least until Parker gets back

The Jazz could target players such as Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Kyle Lowry or Paul Millsap. The two that make the most sense from a salary standpoint are Griffin and Millsap because you can manufacture a way to trade Derrick Favors in order to keep Diaw as the backup power forward.

Maybe they could get Griffin? He actually could be a great fit. He can play much like their most of their team plays. With and without the ball. He could get the ball in his hands more with the Jazz than he does with the Clippers. His lack of D could be hidden maybe. He's the player you are dreaming of Lyles suddenly being! :lol

But fans can rest easy knowing that the masterminds in the front office will make the right decisions to give the Jazz the best chances to win a championship going forward.

We can? Like the brilliant move of letting your best player and another great role player go? The great trade for Burke?....

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 03:13 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/14/offseason-objectives-for-the-utah-jazz/

We are talking about a player who carried what was essentially the second unit of a team through two playoff series and managed to be competitive.

Gobert and him carried them

[QUOTE]there

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 03:25 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/13/utah-jazz-joe-ingles-big-year-price-range/

[QUOTE] I think it

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Joe Johnson was obviously a bright point at the power forward position where he played for much of the latter part of the year. However, age and fatigue certainly caught up to him in the series against Golden State, leaving the legitimate question of how much he has in the tank and how productive he can be in that position over the long haul.

Not much question about it. He needs to go. Thanks for the Clippers series. Who wants him?

[QUOTE]Then there

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 05:53 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/14/position-utah-jazz-roster-needs-upgrade/

All 15 positions that aren't Gobert and Hayward.

[QUOTE]which position on the Jazz roster is in the greatest need of an upgrade?

For these intents and purposes, we

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 06:09 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/13/utah-jazz-george-hill-will-likely-choose-money-fit/

[QUOTE]Beyond Hayward, Joe Ingles is also an unrestricted free agent and although, as Purple & Blues

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2017, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE]Sam Amick: Pop:

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2017, 11:22 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708677-2017-nba-offseason-every-teams-biggest-flaw-to-address-this-summer

The Utah Jazz's roster works.

They'll have to hang onto Joe Ingles, Gordon Hayward and George Hill, but it does work. It'll be expensive to keep everyone in place, but it does work. They'll need confidence in their vision, but it does work.

It didn't work against GS. Changes have to be made especially when it's older guys making big money like Johnson, Diaw and soon Ingles.

There's no reason to mess with that, which makes improving the health of the roster even more of a pressing priority.

and how do they do that? It's likely that they will have less depth next year so it's certainly important but some guys are just injury prone maybe?

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Griffin’s acquisition would likely mean parting with Derrick Favors

Not immeditately

I believe the most likely course of action is that Griffin will stay in LA and even if he left, despite the basketball appeal in Utah, I still doubt he would be interested in joining the team

I don't know. He's from OKC. He might like it here. Could be a perfect fit offensively and he could have the ball in his hands more. The questions with him would be injuries and defense

It also may very well result in the departure of Boris Diaw. That could be a tough decision for the Jazz, but given Randolph’s ability to grind, rebound and score in the post with the best of them, I think it would be a wise decision for the Jazz to make.

Doesn't hit the 3 or defend. You don't seem to be very familiar with the Jazz. Just throw names out there. Last year it was said they only wanted something like 5 guys in free agency including Joe and that was when they had excess money.

Hypothetically, he could start at the power forward position while Derrick Favors would officially slide to backup center, helping the Jazz shore up both of those areas.

I see Favors starting until he can show he's a trade asset again unless it's Millsap or Griffin coming

That doesn’t necessarily mean that the Jazz couldn’t add him, but it likely means that if they can afford him they failed to make a bigger splash elsewhere. Although, adding an under-the-radar talent such as James Johnson could very well to be a bigger splash in its own right than many would presume.

He's one of the best fits you found. He's very long. Versatile. Hit the 3 at a decent rate for a 4. Can pass. He would be a huge splash actually. Be tough to get him away from the Heat I imagine. Could start once Favors is dealt or come off the bench

Durability is definitely one worry for Holiday, but he has played over 60 games the past two seasons and the majority of his missed time this past year was for personal reasons due to his wife’s brain surgery and ensuing recovery, not due to health issues of his own.

His injuries are worrisome. I like Mills more

Taj Gibson

Doesn't shoot the 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is it that you don't get about the Jazz and the way they want to play? They want to spread the floor. They want either a 3 or a lay-up. They want everyone to shoot the 3 except Rudy(someday maybe:?)There's a reason they got Diaw, Lylesm Bolomboy and Joe Johnson instead of keeping Booker or playing Withey! There's a reason that Favors has finally said he will be shooting 3's all summer. Withey said he was working on the corner 3 last year too. Never saw it though.

If the Jazz find themselves with the right amount of money after adding key guys or perhaps if Joe Ingles ends up signing an offer sheet with another team that Utah is unable to match, Covington could provide somewhat of a solution for them.

Ingles has to go! Covington is a 3 and D 4. Could be a great fit. If I'm him I would want out of Philly where they have Simmons, Embiid, Saric and Okafor. Could start here

I’d much prefer the Jazz avoid the “lukewarm” option and instead of adding Collison, either go all in on a better point guard such as Holiday, Teague or Kyle Lowry, or designate that money elsewhere and instead sign a reliable veteran such as Deron Williams.

I'd probably want him more than any of those guys except the injury prone Holiday but ideally he's a back-up. Start Neto again?

I love the scoring that Gay would bring, but Utah will likely look to make a splash with players that aren’t quite so one-dimensional or risky.

Not a great fit

San Antonio may also look to make a big push to replace the aging Tony Parker with a solid point guard such as Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul or even former Spur George Hill. That combined with the quick improvement of the young Dejounte Murray could result in Mills becoming the odd man out.

That's the question with him. He could be starting on the Spurs now even when Parker returns. Do they try to get Hill? Mills could start for the Jazz and maybe not many other teams and with Exum around(hopefully Ingles is gone) he might feel right at home

Of course adding Lowry would only make sense if the Jazz decided to part ways with George Hill, but if the choice came down to spending max money on Hill or spending max money on Lowry, that’s a pretty clear and easy decision.

Hill is a better fit!

As I’m sure you’ve gathered by now, there’s certainly no shortage of options for the Utah Jazz this summer. Of course their first order of business will be resolving the situations involving their current key free agents – Gordon Hayward, Joe Ingles and George Hill.

But beyond that the sky is likely the limit for this Utah Jazz team

The sky is the limit as long as you don't pay luxury tax! There are a shortage of guys that fit as we saw from this. They only went after a handful of guys last year. I say you have to pay Hill unless you can get someone like Millsap or Griffin. After that you go after a Johnson or Covington. Going to need to fill out the roster with rookie contracts, vet minimums and the exception.

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2017, 12:44 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/14/utah-jazz-top-free-agent-prospect-across-league/

[QUOTE]they

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE]Donatas Urbonas: Motiejunas on possibility to stay in New Orleans Pelicans:

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 07:44 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679919/Upon-further-review-Hayward-has-earned-max-money-contract.html

[QUOTE]Almost three years ago in this space, I questioned and criticized the Utah Jazz for matching the Charlotte Hornets' then-max money offer to Gordon Hayward.

At that time, quite frankly, I wasn't sure if the 6-foot-8 small forward was worth the money

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 07:49 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679970/Trey-Lyles-Jazz-looking-toward-future-after-sophomore-setbacks.html

With the addition of veterans Boris Diaw and Joe Johnson to Utah's roster during the 2016 offseason, Lyles wound up getting pushed closer and closer to the end of the Jazz bench as the 2016-17 season progressed.

He had more opportunities than last year. All he did was shoot and miss. It's all on him.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 08:04 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679959/Alec-Burks-is-hoping-frustration-of-last-three-seasons-is-behind-him-as-he-looks-to-the-future.html

[QUOTE]Towards the end, my leg wasn

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 08:26 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/15/presumed-jimmy-butler-sightings-slc-likely-insignificant/

People on Jazz fans Facebook group have posted photos of Jimmy Butler in Salt Lake City. Sounds like he has family that lived here.

Kurt Kragthorpe @tribkurt
@davidjsmith1232 Butler has close ties to family of former BYU receiver Jordan Leslie, which may or may not be what those photos are about.

interesting

while the Jazz have little of value that they’d actually be willing to trade

I wouldn't say that. They'd be stupid not to trade anyone but Gobert. I'm just not sure it's enough compared to what the Celtics could offer

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l9dt8kr

Not sure if this works after they pay the 3 million or so they are under the minimum cap( I guess that doesn't have to be paid if they spend it before July 1st?) but this with picks, cash, Tomic and Wallace isn't bad if they really want to rebuild. Healthy Favors could be an all-star possibly in the east and could sign an extension. Hood could be at least a 6th man in the league if not a big time scorer and was a solid starter already. Neto has already proven himself as a solid starter and back-up.

The rest all have lots of potential not to mention however many picks it takes to get it done. Neto is non guaranteed and Bolomboy is only a partial as well. It looks like the Bulls might only have between 5-7 guys left on their roster too so they can take on all these guys. The Jazz get almost 3 million more under the cap to sign Hayward and maybe Hill(or Millsap/Griffin,...) if they can still afford him. I'd look to trade Joe Johnson too which is another 11 million they'd have to fill out the roster with as well as Diaw's 7 million. Could trade Burks later after he's proven he's healthy. The Jazz would need to sign around another dozen guys but a team built around Gobert, Hayward(how does he go to Boston now?) and Butler is probably a top 3 team in the league at least 4. They would get vets wanting to play with them for cheap.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 08:48 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/15/nba-rumors-donatas-motiejunas-wants-utah-jazz/

[QUOTE]If healthy, he could make for a strong addition to Utah

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 08:57 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/15/examining-utah-jazz-cap-situation-post-hayward-world/

David Locke @Lockedonsports
All NBA teams unveiled on Thursday. If Gordon Hayward makes all NBA he is eligible for Designated Player Exception
10:09 AM - 15 May 2017

Cool! I figured that wouldn't be announced until the awards show. Hayward looks unlikely. Rudy first team! :bowdown:

Finally, the Jazz have more money coming off the books next offseason (Derrick Favors and Joe Johnson account for $22.5 million alone).

If Favors is healthy they could sign him to an extension

The team could technically shed Raul Neto and/or Joel Bolomboy salaries as well, but given the roster and money situations, let’s say the Jazz hang on to them.

Bolomboy has a partial guarantee so he'll likely be around until January

In all likelihood, the Jazz would probably be forced to overpay for/take a risk on someone like Washington Wizards wing Otto Porter (13.4 PPG, 6.4 REB, 43.4 3P%), Danilo Gallinari (18.2 PPG, 5.2 REB, 38.8 3P%) or Rudy Gay (18.7 PPG, 6.3 REB, 37.2 3P%) to replace Hayward.

The next big hole would be at point guard, where they could be looking at players like Jrue Holiday (15.4 PPG, 7.3 APG, 3.9 RPG) or Patty Mills (9.5 PPG, 3.5 APG, 41.3 3P%) to take the place of George Hill.

They'd look to fill the roster with young guys again. Tank! :rant

The other option would be to play it cheap this summer, then hit the market with more money in 2018. However, in today’s NBA, even if the Jazz are flush with cash, there’s always going to be other teams with money to spend or a more desireable market.

Usually there's less than a handful of teams with cap space to take on a big contract. After this year it will be back to normal and I think even this year most teams have a lot less too spend than last year

The bottom line here is that, if Hayward leaves, there may be tough times ahead.

Won't be that tough. They have someone to build around that's not Al Jefferson or young Hayward and Favors

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 09:01 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/15/utah-jazz-2016-17-player-review-shelvin-mack/

He should get paid to be a back-up somewhere next year if not start for a tanking team.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Alex Kennedy: The Utah Jazz are meeting with James Blackmon Jr., Tidjan Keita, Antone Warren, Jeremy Morgan at the @ProBBallCombine.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE]CSKA will soon engage in one the greatest decisions the franchise had in a long time. Milos Teodosic

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 04:42 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44265502&nid=304&title=ben-anderson-former-utah-high-school-star-could-be-fit-for-jazz

they may try to improve the roster enough that the budding star would be enticed to stay, and also stay playoff competitive should he choose to leave.

Don't think they'll be thinking playoffs if he leaves. They would have tanked this year if he didn't have his opt out

Jackson will now have to work out for NBA teams, hoping to lock in a spot as a first-round draft pick, guaranteeing a set contract for the first three years of his career.

It was two. Did that change with the new CBA?

The most likely strategy will be to add an immediate impact player to the roster that could help the roster in year one and assume a bigger role as his career progressed. To do that, the Jazz would likely have to move up in the draft by packaging their first-round draft picks for one higher selection.

The Jazz could, however, choose to select more proven college players with picks 24 and 30, hoping to get rotation players to help the roster at a discounted price.

Unlikely they get an impact player in the draft regardless of where they pick. It's time to understand that draft picks need to be in the D-league until they prove otherwise especially with the new roster spots designated for that.. See Lyles and Exum.

[QUOTE]Don

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 04:58 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709218-free-agency-rankings-top-available-small-forwards

ranking second among free-agent small forwards in ESPN's defensive real plus-minus on the year, the 33-year-old hit 34.2 percent of his threes and cut his turnover rate to the second-lowest figure of his career.

He's not a perfect three-and-D wing, but Sefolosha is a low-usage standstill shooter who can convert an open look and guard the opponent's most dangerous perimeter scorer. Not bad for the 10th-best free agent at the position.

He might be a fit for a cheap end of the bench role

Last year, he found the right mix of quality and quantity, posting that career-best 39.1 percent hit rate on 110 attempts.

Why does this matter?

It matters because if Mbah a Moute is almost a 40 percent shooter from deep on a decent volume, he's immensely valuable. Throughout his strange shooting evolution, he's always been a rangy, bothersome defender who, at 6'8", can even handle some big men down low.

Do you trust Mbah a Moute's development?

Asking for the 30 teams who could use a (maybe) deadeye shooter who can defend.

He should be on the Jazz's list

Of the 24 players to attempt at least 300 catch-and-shoot triples last season, only five converted at a more accurate rate then Miles, who shot 42.6 percent: Stephen Curry, J.J. Redick, Otto Porter Jr., Klay Thompson and Ryan Anderson.

Miles is a true sniper who could be put to even better use in a higher-volume role. The Indiana Pacers only gave him 23.4 minutes per game last year, which is difficult to understand considering their net rating was positive when he played but negative when he sat.

Miles, 6'6", has the size to defend either wing and even spent spot minutes at power forward in small lineups. Stick him in an offense that moves the ball and features a rim-rolling threat, and he'll bury threes all day long (shot 41.3 percent last campaign).

Be great to see him back in Utah! Sounds like a great fit too.

And if Utah wants to keep the momentum going on its four-year upward trajectory, it had better not forget about him.

Ingles outperformed Rodney Hood and Alec Burks all season, and he was better (and healthier) in the playoffs as well.

Yeah but they are young and wil get better and Hood is still cheap. We've seen the best of Ingles and GS was too much for him. Thanks and bye!

Iguodala runs Golden State's offense as a de facto point guard most of the time he's on the floor, and he usually does it while defending the opponent's best wing scorer. His turnover rate of 11.2 percent was a career best in 2016-17, and his three-point shooting mark (36.2 percent) was the second-highest figure of his career.

He ranked seventh in RPM among small forwards overall and second among free agents at the position.

Maybe they should look at him

it's worth noting too that his continually improving athleticism and strength made him the Jazz's most reliable perimeter defender.

That was Ingles actually

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 05:07 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/16/boston-celtics-success-may-be-nerve-wracking-for-utah-jazz-fans/

[QUOTE]while Jazz brass has done everything in their power to prove to Hayward that they

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE]Jay King: Horford said he

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE]In an interview with Chris Mannix, Adrian Wojnarowski says the Nets are willing to take on a salary dump

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Goodbye Hayward?

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 10:09 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44270967&nid=304&title=jazz-rumor-roundup-star-international-point-guard-milos-teodosic-wants-to-play-for-utah

Teodosic was asked if there was a specific NBA team he'd like to be a part of. Teodosic mentioned two: the San Antonio Spurs and the Utah Jazz.

And than it was said the Spurs weren't interested. Not sure the Jazz would be either if his D is as bad as I'e heard

Signing Teodosic using that exception would cap the Jazz at spending at most six million dollars above the luxury tax line, or about $127 million. That might necessitate finding a way to dump Alec Burks' salary on another team, as well as the waiver or trade of Boris Diaw.

Diaw, Johnson and Ingles should be gone. Burks and Favors after they return to form

Teodosic has good size (he's 6-foot-5)

What is his length? That's all that really matters anymore

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 10:13 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680117/Joel-Bolomboy-reflects-on-rookie-season-spent-with-Jazz-Stars.html

[QUOTE]There

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2017, 10:18 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/16/nba-rumors-utah-jazz-look-sign-milos-teodosic/

[QUOTE]If that ends up being the case, Hill walks and the Jazz aren

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE]Raphielle Johnson: BYU just announced that forward Eric Mika will hire an agent and remain in this year

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Mike McGraw: I still don

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:39 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-mock-draft-lottery-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics-new-york-knicks-051617

Utah Jazz: D.J Wilson, PF, Michigan (Sophomore)
Per-game averages: 11.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.5 blocks, 53.8 FG%, 37.3 3P%, 2.9 3PA, 83.3 FT%

Height: 6'11"; Weight: 234 lbs; Age: 21 (Feb. 19, 1996)

The Jazz would love to take Jeanne as a Gobert backup if he's still on the board here. If not, though, they'll likely settle for a young power forward with range and raw defensive skills to take Derrick Favors' place down the line, should he become a salary cap casualty.

With Lyles and Bolomboy it seems PF is the last position they should be looking at.

Utah Jazz: Frank Jackson, PG, Duke (Freshman)
Per-game averages: 10.9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 54.3 FG%, 39.2 3P%, 3.6 3PA, 75.5 FT%

Height: 6'4"; Weight: 202 lbs; Age: 19 (May, 1998)

Jackson played high school ball just south of Salt Lake City, and the Jazz could use another point guard prospect if they're not sure Dante Exum is the long-term answer anymore.

He's an explosive athlete and a fairly decent defender already, which would make him a great fit in Utah.

At the pg they have Exum, Wallace and Neto though Jackson Exum and Wallace could play on the wing.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:45 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2017/05/17/nba-mock-draft-post-lottery-results-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-los-angeles-lakers/101769542/

24. Utah Jazz: SF Rodions Kurucs, Latvia

Predicting which team likes which international player is always a challenge, but everyone seems intrigued by Kurucs. He has a smooth game and good size, and as a 19-year-old, he would make an ideal draft-and-stash fit to bring over in two years, when his deal with Barcelona ends.

This makes more sense though center should be their first pick ideally. At least he's a stash.

30. Utah Jazz (via Golden State Warriors): PG Jawun Evans, Oklahoma State

The biggest gap between Evans and the point guards in the top 10 is size; he measured to be under 6-foot at the combine. But he’s a brilliant natural playmaker with enough speed and strength to be a factor on pick-and-rolls. The Jazz may need a point guard, and Evans is a potential steal.

What's his length? Doesn't sound like their guy. Can he shoot? Play without the ball? You need to be multi dimensional to play with the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:51 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-mock-draft-after-winning-top-pick-celtics-go-with-dukes-jayson-tatum/

24 Jazz

Caleb Swanigan, PF, Purdue: Short vent session here: I've heard enough about how Swanigan's body, size and athleticism aren't NBA-ready. It's BS. This is a guy who is one of the hardest workers I've been around in college basketball, both off the court and on. He understands what his primary role will be in the NBA: As a rebounder who outworks his opponents. No, he doesn't fit into the nice pretty box of what we think of as NBA power forwards. But he's such a high-character guy with so much tangible and intangible basketball talent that he'll absolutely become a positive presence on a winning basketball team.

Can he shoot?

30 Jazz

Bam Adebayo, C, Kentucky Check this dude's birth certificate, because there's no way a 19-year-old can be as cut as Adebayo is. He's like a 6-10 linebacker out there. While Adebayo may never be a creative offensive force, he can make a difference on both ends of the court based on sheer size, athleticism and motor.

A center! Someone might actually be aware of the Jazz roster.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:54 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709708-nba-mock-draft-2017-post-lottery-edition

24. Utah Jazz: Luke Kennard (Duke, SG, Sophomore)
24 OF 33

Luke Kennard unsurprisingly skipped athletic testing at the combine, an area where he'd struggle.

It could backfire and raise questions from teams in the top 20. But his 19.5 points and 88 threes on 43.8 percent from deep should be enough for the Utah Jazz at No. 24.

The Jazz saw Rodney Hood plateau in 2016-17, and Joe Ingles is entering free agency. Kennard offers wing insurance and one of the more accurate shooting strokes in the draft.

Makes more sense though I think Exum could play the 2 if he ever finds his stroke as well as Burks having 2 more years

30. Utah Jazz (via Warriors): Jordan Bell (PF/C, Oregon, Junior)
30 OF 33

Jordan Bell was a standout at the NBA combine, even drawing a Dennis Rodman comparison from one NBA executive.

His athleticism and motor consistently led to easy baskets, and he covered tremendous ground defensively, just as he did at Oregon. The flashes of passing and mid-range shooting were only bonuses.

Either way, he's the type of player who can make an impact without taking a dribble all game. The Utah Jazz can bring Bell off the bench for energy, activity and defense.

This makes more sense as well. A center who could also play alongside Gobert

El Kabong
05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Burks and Favors?
Got the #30 pick to dangle too. Whether that's enough to get the Nets to bite on Favours and/or the last two years of Burks contract is something else though.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709708-nba-mock-draft-2017-post-lottery-edition

Makes more sense though I think Exum could play the 2 if he ever finds his stroke as well as Burks having 2 more years

This makes more sense as well. A center who could also play alongside Gobert

42. Utah Jazz (via Pistons): Omer Yurtseven (North Carolina State, C, Freshman)

Yurtseven lacks toughness, but at nearly 7'0", his size, mobility and touch are worth looking into this late. He had a strong first game at the combine Thursday by consistently making himself available for easy finishes and finesse shots in the paint.

Sounds like a 2 way contract project

55. Utah Jazz: Tyler Dorsey (Oregon, SG, Sophomore)

Highly skilled, Dorsey took over in the NCAA tournament and played well at the combine. There will be a dozen teams wondering if he can produce against pros without great size, length or athleticism.

doesn't sound like their guy

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Got the #30 pick to dangle too. Whether that's enough to get the Nets to bite on Favours and/or the last two years of Burks contract is something else though.

I think they'll go into the season with them and hope they return to form. Favors could still bring a lot in a trade since he's eligible for an extension. Burks could still have value too with 2 years on a very reasonable contract if he's putting up 15 a game again off the bench. They trade them now they are giving picks away like they did with Pleiss.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 11:00 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

4 wings?

El Kabong
05-17-2017, 11:02 AM
I think they'll go into the season with them and hope they return to form. Favors could still bring a lot in a trade since he's eligible for an extension. Burks could still have value too with 2 years on a very reasonable contract if he's putting up 15 a game again off the bench. They trade them now they are giving picks away like they did with Pleiss.
Have to look at the minutes available too. Burks gonna get enough time behind Hood, JJ and Ingles to put up 15 a game?

Favors I could understand keeping because the big man depth is thin and I doubt Lyles is ready for starting minutes, but i'd be happy with them moving him on and finding someone in free agency who fits better with Gobert on the floor.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 11:43 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

[QUOTE]24 JONATHAN JEANNE C - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Have to look at the minutes available too. Burks gonna get enough time behind Hood, JJ and Ingles to put up 15 a game?

Favors I could understand keeping because the big man depth is thin and I doubt Lyles is ready for starting minutes, but i'd be happy with them moving him on and finding someone in free agency who fits better with Gobert on the floor.

First off I think they need to let Ingles and Johnson go. They need to build a team that can compete with GS. They sucked against GS and I just can't see paying them the big money at their age. They had great years. Love the Joe's but it is a business. With the Jazz track record I would certainly expect them to keep them though especially since Hayward and Ingles are apparently close and he appears to have a great relationship with the coach as well. They have a long history of keeping guys beyond their usefulness.

You got to try to showcase Burks and Favors if they are up for it. Better than paying teams to take them off your hands.

I think if if Favors returns to form that he will be dealt unless he starts hitting the 3 which I doubt. The best line-up will be Rudy with 4 guys that can spread the floor. I can see Bolomboy in the rotation ahead of Lyles right now

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/17/utah-jazz-2016-17-team-awards/2/

[QUOTE]MVP

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE]Tom Westerholm: Al Horford says the Celtics

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE]Chris Forsberg: Brad Stevens on developing young talent while winning:

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 09:27 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/17/utah-jazz-2016-17-player-review-of-raul-neto/

Coach Ty Corbin believed Burke was the future at point guard for the Jazz.

Don't try to lay that on Ty. That's on your can't do no wrong front office as are all their lottery picks since then and it's looking pretty grim with Lyles and Exum left to show for the tanking

an undersized rookie

He's an inch shorter than Mack and Hill. Wouldn't call him undersized exactly

[QUOTE]But will that be enough to earn him a roster spot on next year

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2017, 09:48 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/17/theres-a-silver-lining-to-the-boston-celtics-winning-lottery-for-the-utah-jazz/

[QUOTE]David J. Smith @davidjsmith1232
Jazz fans would be absolutely fine with this course of action for the Celtics. https://twitter.com/MarkJonesESPN/status/864924860203585538

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 07:37 AM
http://nesn.com/2017/05/nba-insider-believes-celtics-targeting-gordon-hayward-as-no-1-option-this-summer/

[QUOTE]The C

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE]Now, Burke will enter restricted free agency and likely won

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 07:53 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680213/All-NBA-selection-could-influence-Gordon-Haywards-decision.html

the Jazz will have the luxury of offering him a fifth year on a new deal if he opts out. Other teams will only be able to give him four years.

He's going to want an opt out regardless. I'm guessing he opts out and signs a 2 year deal with a player option for the 2nd. Than he will be eliglble for the 35% I believe. That's assuming he signs with the Jazz of course which might not be in his best interests if winning is most important like he says. What's the difference between 132 million and 180 million really?

El Kabong
05-18-2017, 08:27 AM
First off I think they need to let Ingles and Johnson go. They need to build a team that can compete with GS. They sucked against GS and I just can't see paying them the big money at their age. They had great years. Love the Joe's but it is a business. With the Jazz track record I would certainly expect them to keep them though especially since Hayward and Ingles are apparently close and he appears to have a great relationship with the coach as well. They have a long history of keeping guys beyond their usefulness.

You got to try to showcase Burks and Favors if they are up for it. Better than paying teams to take them off your hands.

I think if if Favors returns to form that he will be dealt unless he starts hitting the 3 which I doubt. The best line-up will be Rudy with 4 guys that can spread the floor. I can see Bolomboy in the rotation ahead of Lyles right now
JJ probably has decent value at the moment thanks to his performances in the playoffs and the fact he's only gonna cost a team $10 million or so. I could certainly see an also contender like LA Clippers thinking about adding him if they decide to go around again, especially since they're losing Paul Pierce and he'd mean they might not need to play guys like Felton, Rivers or Mbah a Moute as much.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 10:20 AM
JJ probably has decent value at the moment thanks to his performances in the playoffs and the fact he's only gonna cost a team $10 million or so. I could certainly see an also contender like LA Clippers thinking about adding him if they decide to go around again, especially since they're losing Paul Pierce and he'd mean they might not need to play guys like Felton, Rivers or Mbah a Moute as much.

He's got to have value after what he did to the Clipps for sure and they wanted him in the off-season as well. If they'd had 22 million over 2 years I imagine he would have been there too! :lol

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 10:29 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/18/utah-jazz-player-review-derrick-favors/

The starting lineup for the Utah Jazz entering the 2016-17 season seemed to be set in stone.

Not to me. Hood seemed to make the most sense as a 6th man and still does despite his feelings on the matter

Early in the season he suffered a knee injury that he never came back from. Favors even admitted that he never really felt 100 percent, even when he came back from his injury.

Was hurt in the summer!

Nevertheless, despite the struggles, the Jazz are going to stand by Favors and support him, hoping for a redemption next season.

Probably until they can raise his trade value anyway

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Ian Begley: One team that

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 12:09 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-19393608/every-team-best-worst-lottery-picks

Utah Jazz

Best: Deron Williams, No. 3, 2005 (KP)/Gordon Hayward, No. 9, 2010 (CF)

Could argue Deron was one of the worst with Paul available

Worst: Dante Exum, No. 5, 2014 (KP)/Trey Burke, No. 9, 2013 (CF)

Kanter was picked higher

While they haven't made many lottery picks (nine in 33 years), the Jazz's track record is surprisingly checkered after All-Stars Hayward and Williams

especially considering all the praise Lindsey gets and he picked neither

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Xiao Yao You]http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-19393608/every-team-best-worst-lottery-picks

Could argue Deron was one of the worst with Paul available

Kanter was picked higher than Exum and Burke. None worked out for the Jazz either.

Lindsey is a mastermind?

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE]Adrian Wojnarowski: With Paul George, Gordon Hayward left off All-NBA teams, Pacers and Jazz lose chance to re-sign them to 5-year, $207M super-max contracts.

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Way to go Rudy. Hayward can be the all star. You're all NBA even if you were robbed of 1st ream. :bowdown:

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE]The deadline for Tacko Fall to make his NBA decision is fast approaching and the UCF center still isn

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:14 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-teams-paul-george-gordon-hayward-cant-happy-183715791.html

[QUOTE]He may decide to spend his prime on a team rife with cap space and a closer view of the championship

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:24 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680226/Ranking-the-best-NBA-players-drafted-at-No-30.html

I sure hope they get someone better than Eisley

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:27 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5306396-155/utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-named-to

The 24-year-old is reportedly set to earn a bonus in his contract for making All-NBA.

They can give him a bonus for a contract that starts next season?

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:44 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/18/15659434/all-nba-team-2017-utah-jazz-rudy-gobert-gordon-hayward

[QUOTE]And although many have argued that the Celtics are nearing title contention, that they

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 06:49 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/18/2017-utah-jazz-summer-league-schedule-officially-set/

[QUOTE]There

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2017, 11:28 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/05/18/gm-dennis-lindsey-focused-on-jazz-retaining-their-own/101853578/

Dennis Lindsey knows significant hurdles remain before the team becomes a true contender.

His first priority is making sure the Jazz are able to retain key players.

"Player retention would be the next step," Lindsey said Thursday. "Player development. A strategic add that can complement the group where there's just a really good fit. Whether that fit is mentality, experience or skill-set."

The big thing is to know when it's time to say good bye to players. Always been a problem with the Jazz. See how Lindsey does. After what we saw against GS I can't see paying the older guys that were healthy big money. Young guys or guys that are injured is different.

The Jazz rose to this moment with a patient rebuild that included allowing a young core to develop and not adding outside pieces too soon that would stunt that growth.

big mistake as we saw this year. The vets helped the young guys. Imagine that!

internal growth was the biggest difference and Lindsey is banking on more of the same.

Yeah but without Hill we saw what happened against GS. Without Johnson and Ingles they don't beat the Clippers.

Lindsey's not sure if he's ever seen a better offseason improvement than Hayward made last year, and that includes leaps made in the past by the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan and Clyde Drexler.

highly debatable if he made a bigger leap than Gobert. I'd say no

WayOfWad3
05-19-2017, 12:35 AM
Way to go Rudy. Hayward can be the all star. You're all NBA even if you were robbed of 1st ream. :bowdown:
Rudy definitely got robbed of 1st team. I argue that with my friends down here that while Davis is better (debatable), Gobert had a better year and a greater impact in his team/the league. Hayward though I could see not getting an NBA team

WayOfWad3
05-19-2017, 12:41 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/05/18/gm-dennis-lindsey-focused-on-jazz-retaining-their-own/101853578/

The big thing is to know when it's time to say good bye to players. Always been a problem with the Jazz. See how Lindsey does. After what we saw against GS I can't see paying the older guys that were healthy big money. Young guys or guys that are injured is different.

big mistake as we saw this year. The vets helped the young guys. Imagine that!

Yeah but without Hill we saw what happened against GS. Without Johnson and Ingles they don't beat the Clippers.

highly debatable if he made a bigger leap than Gobert. I'd say no
It's going to be tough to retain everyone (obviously). I'd say Hill has to be the priority as far as non-star players go, and then Ingles. If the Jazz can dump Diaw and Burks that would certainly help as that's ~$17 million the Jazz will have extra to spend. Problem is the Jazz will have to rely on Bolomboy and Lyles more which is a lot of uncertainty.

As for who made the bigger leap, I'd say it's close, but yeah Gobert. Hayward went from fringe All-Star to All-Star whereas Gobert went from decent center to All-Star snub and DPOY type player

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 01:43 AM
It's going to be tough to retain everyone (obviously). I'd say Hill has to be the priority as far as non-star players go, and then Ingles. If the Jazz can dump Diaw and Burks that would certainly help as that's ~$17 million the Jazz will have extra to spend. Problem is the Jazz will have to rely on Bolomboy and Lyles more which is a lot of uncertainty.

As for who made the bigger leap, I'd say it's close, but yeah Gobert. Hayward went from fringe All-Star to All-Star whereas Gobert went from decent center to All-Star snub and DPOY type player

Got to roll the dice on Hill. He was too good in November. That Hill might have made the GS series a bit more interesting. They would have had 3 guys to go against them anyway instead of the 2 that they did. I think you have to let Ingles go unless it's to keep Hayward and/or he comes cheap somehow as a restricted FA. He didn't show up in Oakland despite being their 2nd best player against the Warriors this year and having a great year overall. You have to build a team to beat them. If he was young I could maybe see it but he's not. Joe Johnson has to go for the same reason despite the Clippers series.

Diaw actually did ok against the Warriors but I wouldn't pick up his deal. Would consider signing him to a cheaper deal to be at the end of the bench. You will have to give the other team picks to take Burks right now. I say you go into the season with him and show he can play again first.

I think Bolomboy might be able to give them some rotation minutes. He looked good the couple times he played and was great in the D-league something neither Lyles or Exum have proven. He needs to get stronger. Lyles has the talent but Kobe being his idol might be a problem it seems.

Rudy was a lot more than a decent center. He got votes for DPOTY last year. He's been the heart and soul of the team for more than 2 years now. The big difference this year was the catching and finishing and we may have seen that last year if Favors hadn't been dominating people down there.

They were one of the worst teams in the league before he emerged despite the continual talk of Hayward and Favors being all-star type players. Last year without Gobert they sucked again. The game he missed this year they sucked. They have played good without Hayward. The playoffs is the first time they showed they could compete without Gobert and they lost 2 of 3 once the Clippers adjusted and once again won without Hayward. Hayward's play in the playoffs is the only reason I think they should pay him whatever he wants. Would have been hard to swallow before that

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 01:48 AM
Rudy definitely got robbed of 1st team. I argue that with my friends down here that while Davis is better (debatable), Gobert had a better year and a greater impact in his team/the league. Hayward though I could see not getting an NBA team

The one game against the Jazz when Davis wouldn't go near Gobert was enough for me. If you're supposed to be one of the top players in the league you're not afraid of anyone. Rudy certainly isn't even when the guy has an advantage strength wise. Davis is soft. Him and Cousins can put up all the gaudy numbers they want. Where's the wins?

WayOfWad3
05-19-2017, 03:08 AM
The one game against the Jazz when Davis wouldn't go near Gobert was enough for me. If you're supposed to be one of the top players in the league you're not afraid of anyone. Rudy certainly isn't even when the guy has an advantage strength wise. Davis is soft. Him and Cousins can put up all the gaudy numbers they want. Where's the wins?
Wins and the fact that the defense of both is nothing compared to Gobert. Defense is half the game, and Gobert happens to be the premiere player at that end of the floor, and he is the third most efficient offensive player in the league to boot. He should definitely cement himself as better in the minds of most next season when he improves even more so than he already has.

WayOfWad3
05-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Got to roll the dice on Hill. He was too good in November. That Hill might have made the GS series a bit more interesting.

Diaw actually did ok against the Warriors but I wouldn't pick up his deal. Would consider signing him to a cheaper deal to be at the end of the bench. You will have to give the other team picks to take Burks right now. I say you go into the season with him and show he can play again first.

I think Bolomboy might be able to give them some rotation minutes. He looked good the couple times he played and was great in the D-league something neither Lyles or Exum have proven.
Yeah I'd do my best to keep Hill too. No other pg on the roster will do, and Exum might be better off as a 2-guard. While he was injured a lot this season, they were almost all freak injuries like getting nailed in the head every other week, never a recurring problem with any particular part outside of his toe.

I don't know if Diaw's option is team or player, gotts check that out. I'd let him go regardless though seeing as Bolomboy and Lyles both need minutes, and I really think the Jazz should try and go back to the Favors/Gobert lineup even though David Locke doesn't think it's viable anymore.

As for Burks, while it would be nice to see him play, I think if the opportunity presents itself to unload him in order to keep Ingles/Hill, I think they should go for it. Will cost more than just unloading Alec though.

El Kabong
05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Celtics seem pretty confident on getting Hayward. Will make the off-season an interesting one if he does leave.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Wins and the fact that the defense of both is nothing compared to Gobert. Defense is half the game, and Gobert happens to be the premiere player at that end of the floor, and he is the third most efficient offensive player in the league to boot. He should definitely cement himself as better in the minds of most next season when he improves even more so than he already has.

Not playing for France this year for the first time since the Jazz got him. Look what just a short time off last year while France was qualifying for the olympics did for him! We'll see the face up and post game next year. :bowdown:

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Yeah I'd do my best to keep Hill too. No other pg on the roster will do, and Exum might be better off as a 2-guard. While he was injured a lot this season, they were almost all freak injuries like getting nailed in the head every other week, never a recurring problem with any particular part outside of his toe.

I don't know if Diaw's option is team or player, gotts check that out. I'd let him go regardless though seeing as Bolomboy and Lyles both need minutes, and I really think the Jazz should try and go back to the Favors/Gobert lineup even though David Locke doesn't think it's viable anymore.

As for Burks, while it would be nice to see him play, I think if the opportunity presents itself to unload him in order to keep Ingles/Hill, I think they should go for it. Will cost more than just unloading Alec though.

Diaw has a team option. They have until Jul 15th to decide. They should know about Hayward and Hill by then maybe Ingles. But I think you have to let him go regardless. Maybe sign him to a cheaper deal for an end of the bench role. He wasn't consistent enough to be in the rotation. They can use him as a trade piece before Jul 15 too!

I think you start the season with Favors and Gobert. Hopefully Favors shows he can play again because he could still have a ton of value with him being eligible for an extension and not just an expiring deal. If Hayward leaves they might have to stick with Favors and even sign him to an extension but Locke is probably right. We never got to see Favors at 100% all year so it's hard to say for sure though. Maybe the Warriors would have had a hard time matching up with a healthy Jazz team playing big? We don't know for sure. Diaw definitely was better than Johnson against them. Diaw plays more of a stretch four but can also bang down low.

They don't have to unload anyone to sign their guys. They can go into the season over the tax line. Just need to be under the tax line at the end of the year. Can trade guys to Philly before the break for picks if it comes down to it. Johnson, Diaw and Ingles are the guys I'm looking at to keep the payroll down(that's probably 30 million or so depending on what Ingles gets) and later on you can look at Favors, Burks and maybe others. I'd see if Burks can come back this summer. He didn't look bad to me this year and he says he wasn't close to 100%. Needs to get his leg stronger this summer. See what happens.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Celtics seem pretty confident on getting Hayward. Will make the off-season an interesting one if he does leave.

He says winning is most important not money. If he means that it's Boston to me. They have better young talent with more on the way and more depth on their roster. They also might get Butler too! But the biggest thing to me is that they will spend whatever it takes to win titles.

It's possible that the new Legacy Trust will allow the Jazz to go into the tax since the profits of the team are supposed to go back into the team but we'll have to see how that goes. i'm not counting on things changing in Utah. The things in Utah's favor would be Gobert which is the big thing Boston is missing right now and maybe Snyder who has helped make Hayward a better player. Also Johnnie Bryant is the guy he works out with. I'd rather live here than Boston especially in the winter. Hayward is in San Diego now so I'm not sure his family would like a Boston winter.

Before the playoffs I wasn't sure I wanted him to get 30% of the max but we saw a Hayward we had never seen and you have to pay him whatever he wants and maybe even sign Ingles if he wants. Hopefully if he does stay in Utah he will leave some money on the table so they can put a team around him and Rudy and hopefully Hill.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE]Gordon Hayward will be a free agent this summer, and buzz regarding a reunion with Brad Stevens is starting to ramp up. According to The Vertical

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5307558-155/utah-jazz-for-gm-dennis-lindsey

Beyond drafting Trey Burke, Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey has made very few missteps during the last five years of what has been a meticulous rebuild. He has gathered assets, his staff has developed players, he has lured some key free agents and pulled off some shrewd trades.

Come on! He let their best player go to start the rebuild not to mention Demarre. Millsap it has been reported that they have wanted him back since. He drafted Exum and Lyles. He left 14 million and an exception on the table this year. They got lucky with Gobert. If not for that I could see them being in the same place as Orlando and he and Snyder might be looking for work and Hayward would have been traded already and the tanking would have continued. This summer he needs to show what he can do now that the money isn't unlimited anymore. Why can't we just let people prove themselves instead of claiming greatness all the time?

Lindsey knows the roster he has built is capable of more. Should Hayward stay and the team remains reasonably healthy, a 55- or 60-win season could be in the cards, along with a push beyond the second round of the postseason.

How will you put a team around the big 2 now though? We saw against GS they are not really deep and they need a lot of help and it will likely have to be done cheaply

He has $13 million in cap space he has to use by July 1.

He doesn't have to but it might keep me quiet anyway! If he can do something big with that at the draft it might be big for Hayward

he has an ownership group in the Miller family that has given him the financial freedom to make the moves needed to keep things rolling.

Rolling as long as they don't pay tax?

"We feel the quality of this team was that of a three seed.

I think they were probably a top 3 or 4 team in the league but could have been better. 13 million and an exception! Can they get better is the question? Have they peaked before they got rolling?

we wanted health to supersede seeding."

Yet health killed them anyway!

The Jazz have others who are entering free agency. Point guard George Hill is coming off a solid statistical season that was cut short by a nagging toe injury. Lindsey wants him back, but also knows the market may be robust for a veteran of his caliber.

"George is obviously a good fit," Lindsey said. "We want to let him rest and recover, and then we want to have open and honest conversations. George is a terrific player and a terrific guy. He's one of my pride and joys. If he gets a crazy offer somewhere else, we won't have one poor thought about him. There's also a very good chance we're each other's best option come July."

So they aren't giving George the max or the 5 years they could give him! An open and honest conversation means we want you but not that much?
Lindsey has always been known as a patient and calculating general manager. The Jazz are at a crossroad this summer. Will they emerge as an even stronger contender? Or, like ongoing construction at Vivint Smart Home Arena and the Zions Banks Basketball Center, will Lindsey have to build again?

Can't really be patient anymore. You're always going to be building

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680311/Jazz-GM-Lindsey-talks-about-priority-of-keeping-Hayward-Hill.html

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 10:23 AM
http://saltcityhoops.com/hayward-watch-threats-in-the-eastern-conference/

With the basketballs back on the rack and the locker stalls cleaned out, the next six and a half weeks in Utah Jazz territory will primary be about three things:

Gordon. Daniel. Hayward.

Hill is big too as we saw in the GS series. Two guys isn't enough to get it done

How much do Jazz fans need to worry? Here’s a look at the threat level behind all 29 of Utah’s competitors, starting today with the Eastern Conference.

Every team! He says it's about winning and really he could demand a sign and trade for any of them if he wanted. Going to this for Hill as well? That might be more interesting

It really all depends on Paul Millsap. If he walks, the Hawks will have the ability to create a max slot, but only if they make restricted free agent Tim Hardaway Jr. wait for his payday. If Millsap opts in, or if he opts out but the Hawks keep his rights, Atlanta will probably operate as an exceptions team.

Millsap is the one guy that may be an even better fit than Hill. Would love to get him back and it seems possible actually

they can easily get to Hayward’s $30.3M number by offloading a role player or two.

They could do a sign and trade and the Jazz may even get something useful in return. Celts are loaded with young talent

So the case could be laid out to Hayward that, when you back out all the games missed by key players, the Jazz are already ahead of the Celtics.

They are but may have peaked while the Celts aren't close and will keep spending until they are. That's the big difference that I see

Why Jazz fans should be afraid: Hayward already signed a contract with Charlotte once: the 2014 max offer sheet that Utah matched. That at least adds some intrigue in that we know the Hornets once like Gordon and he liked them back.

That was about money not winning. He knew the Jazz would match

And even if Hayward said yes, it’s a non-starter unless the Jazz are interested in taking salary back from the Hornets — why would they aid and abet Charlotte in stealing their own franchise star away from them?

Because Hayward says that's who he wants to play for and you possibe get something in return even if it's not much.

The Cavs just don’t have a means of adding Hayward.

Love for Hayward I imagine. I'd take Love if Hayward wants to be there

People forget that these dudes are human, and the opportunity for Hayward, a family man, to raise his two daughters close to his family has to be a little appealing, right?

But it's Indiana. He's living in San Diego at the moment for good reason!

However, it could be argued that their three best players are all naturally wings: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Khris Middleton and Jabari Parker2. Hard to imagine where Hayward fits there, unless the Bucks just decide that with enough length and skill, they can just be a glorious, positionless, chaotic mass of arms.

Play all 4 with Maker. Could be something else actually! Parker is co ming off another knee injury too

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 10:44 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/18/prospects-watch-utah-jazz-nba-draft/

[QUOTE]he

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/18/utah-jazz-rumors-celtics-really-focused-acquiring-gordon-hayward/

They also have more potential for internal growth with Rudy Gobert and youngsters Rodney Hood, Dante Exum and Trey Lyles yet to hit their peaks.

Have you looked at the Celtics young guys with 2 high lottery picks still to go and more guys stashed away? :rolleyes:

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 03:53 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have worked out Cal State Fullerton guard Tre

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE]Spencer Checketts: Text from NBA Executive:

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE]Seven-foot-six sophomore Tacko Fall of Central Florida headlines a group of six prospects who will audition for Jazz brass at Zions Bank Basketball Center.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tacko-Fall-81843/

He looks thin but 300 ibs!

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:12 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rawle-Alkins-82169/

Pretty long for his height but maybe not so much for his position, athletic

both look like 2nd rounders

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:15 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deng-Adel-82124/

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:16 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Amida-Brimah-7286/

very long

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:18 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wesley-Alves-Da-Silva-89025/

fairly long but not so much for his position

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:46 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44303737&nid=304&title=dennis-lindsey-on-keeping-gordon-hayward-and-other-offseason-plans

That first clause was interesting to me, as it shows that the Jazz don't seem to be likely to offer Hill the max deal that he wants. If Hill's salary demands stay reasonable, they'd love to keep him on the team; like Lindsey said, there's a good shot that Hill doesn't find that crazy offer and the Jazz retain an excellent point guard. But if not, they may look elsewhere for a player who is a better value in the long term.

Not necessarily that they wouldn't give him the max, He could be talking they don't want to give him 4 year max at his age. I think a max next year with a team option or partial guarantee for the next year might be perfect. See what he can do healthy for a full year and the development of some of their young guys like Exum in particular. U wonder if the Jazz even offered him the maximum they could have for the extension. Everybody assumed they did.

Joe Ingles is also a free agent, but Lindsey spoke as if Ingles was already a likely part of the team for next season. "Joe is a connector. And we love his humor, but we love even more that he's banging 44 percent of his threes, and makes people play him so Gordon has more space to do his thing." Ingles' improvement between the ages of 28 and 29 is rare, but he really did expand his game in such a way that he was a capable NBA starter for the Jazz this season.

His performance in Oakland nullifies that unless he comes cheaply and I doubt he will. Not going to beat them with the same players

"The team functioned better when Dante was playing a wing rather than point guard. But there's point guard in his future. There's two guard, even three because of his size and speed. It's really one through three," Lindsey added. "And the way we play, it's really all five guys who are touching it."

Exactly. If Dante can hit open shots and not foul he will play. Doesn't matter where

And what does Exum need to do to get better? "We have to map out his schedule minute-by-minute," Lindsey said. "Dante's urgency has to match mine and Quin's urgency for him."

good idea in a contract year

What in particular will Exum be working on this summer? "A long layup game, a floater game, a hard pullup game. I think a lot of Dante's mistakes come from that middle area and getting stuck with it," Lindsey said. "He also has to use his speed to break through the line to create shots for others. There's a lot of finishing stuff. Now that he's getting there, non-dunk finishes that are deep. We've got to catch up for some lost time."

He's not going to get to the rim if he doesn't hit shots. No reason to guard him out there until he does. No reason he should be getting to the rim.

I asked Lindsey about the team's approach to the tax line.

"The only reason we've operated under the cap was strategy. We wanted to take picks, buy picks, take opportunities," Lindsey said.

It's called tanking

"We're at the stage where we have a good team, and we want to keep it together. They're fully committed to that.

had a good team 2 years ago, A shame that last season was wasted

"I head into the draft portion and then free agency with full confidence that we're fully funded. Look at the legacy trust. The Miller family can draw no income, all of the money is being invested back into the team," Lindsey said.

So what was the lowest payroll in the league last season may become one of its highest in 2017-18.

here it is finally. Sounds like they may pay the tax! They may keep Hayward afterall. Now it's about spending it wisely. Last time they paid tax they didn't. The Okur deal was stupid even before he got hurt and not trading AK for Marion's expiring deal come to mind. That's why you can't pay Ingles, Johnson and Diaw. Got to spend wisely.

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680361/7-foot-6-center-Tacko-Fall-headlines-group-who-will-work-out-for-Utah-Jazz-on-Saturday.html

[QUOTE]they

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 06:05 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-free-agency-class-blake-griffin-gordon-hayward-among-top-30-free-agents/

Paul Millsap PF / Atlanta (Rank: 7)
Potential fits: Atlanta, Denver, Boston, Toronto, Portland

Why not Utah? Lindsey just said they'd be looking to add a piece and we know they like Millsap. If they are paying tax they could sign Paul, Hayward and Hill! Then you can talk executive of the year!

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 06:19 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/hayward-watch-part-ii-threats-in-the-west/

[QUOTE]Cap situation: Could have upwards of $60M in raw space (less cap holds), but they will most likely use it to re-up with stars Kevin Durant and Steph Curry. They also have three other expiring rotation players who made more than the minimum last season, starting with 2015 Finals MVP Andre Iguodala.

Why Jazz fans should be afraid: Playing with these guys would be fun, right?

Why they shouldn

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Spencer Checketts: Jeff Van Gundy follow up:

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Rudy Gobert: Same. RT David J. Smith: I can

Xiao Yao You
05-19-2017, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE]Marc Stein: EuroBasket 2017 team to watch: Slovenia with @Goran Dragic, top 2018 draftee @Luka Doncic & sharp Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov as head coach

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 12:05 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44311741&nid=304&title=rudy-gobert-named-finalist-for-defensive-player-of-the-year-most-improved-player

The Most Improved Player trophy is more up in the air. The award will be given to one of Gobert, Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Denver's Nikola Jokic. Both Antetokounmpo and Gobert were Second Team All-NBA, while Jokic improved to become one of the league's top five, and most fun to watch, players.

I'd say Jokic

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 12:13 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680368/Utah-Jazz-are-reportedly-pursuing-Serbian-guard-Milos-Teodosic-Here7s-why-he7d-be-a-good-fit.html

[QUOTE] Unable to adjust to the NBA

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 12:17 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680361/7-foot-6-center-Tacko-Fall-headlines-group-who-will-work-out-for-Utah-Jazz-on-Saturday.html

Arizona freshman guard Rawle Alkins was originally scheduled to be the sixth participant, but the Jazz announced Friday afternoon that Hill would be replacing him.

a change

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 12:25 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/20/utah-jazz-2016-17-player-review-of-joel-bolomboy/

[QUOTE]His contract for next season is fully guaranteed, and I

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE]Tony Jones: Former Utah forward Kyle Kuzma will work out for the Utah Jazz Tuesday, league sources tell The Salt Lake Tribune

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz exec Walt Perrin on BYU big Eric Mika:

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 05:34 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5307824-155/utah-jazz-new-basketball-campus-aims

The area for sports science will nearly triple in size, officials said, incorporating more of the technology the team has coopted from its collaborations with the P3 training facility in Santa Barbara, Calif. Their strength training space will now be the largest among the NBA's 30 teams, Lindsey said.

That sounds big. They had been going to P3 just after the season and before the next season. Now they'll be able to do at least some of that year round it sounds like. They made Gobert even longer so that sounds like a good thing!

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/20/15670388/nba-awards-mvp-rudy-gobert-defensive-player-of-the-year-dpoy-most-improved-quin-snyder-utah-jazz

[QUOTE]Omitted from these awards is Quin Snyder. Many feel that Quin Snyder was slighted from this list. Erik Spoelstra made the list for his efforts in Miami for turning their season around and finishing the season with a 30-11 record. I feel conflicted about this. Not because I don

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 09:40 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/20/15670484/2017-nba-offseason-utah-jazz-george-hill-nba-draft-trade-rumors-eric-bledsoe-ricky-rubio-dante-exum

Now Dennis Lindsey has hinted that the Utah Jazz and George Hill might be farther apart on money than what it may appear.

With his age it could be more the years than the amount. I'd give him max next year with a partial guarantee or team option for the 2nd year. If his play in November was real he's worth the money. You have another year to see and also how the rest of the team develops including the great Dante

George Hill when he was healthy looked like a near max player. The Utah Jazz can’t afford to spend max money on Rudy Gobert, Gordon Hayward, AND then add George Hill to the max.

Rudy took less than max for this very reason. If they become a tax team as Lindsey has said the Miller's and the Legacy Trust are willing to do, they can.

Dennis Lindsey has been a master at finding players whose value exceeds their contract value see also Joe Ingles, George Hill, Rudy Gobert, Boris Diaw, and Raul Neto.

Rookie contracts and an underpaid vet who cost a lottery pick and missed the final round of the playoff? Diaw is highly debatable as well at his price and the loss of assets to get him. Master :rolleyes:

with Utah poised to start their balancing act with the luxury tax they might look at the NBA draft with their two first round picks and the contracts of Derrick Favors and Alec Burks as ammunition

shooting blanks with Favors and Burks until they show something. You forgot their cap space and other young players who might have some worth

The Minnesota Timberwolves have young guards Dunn and LaVine ready to take the reigns. This leaves Ricky Rubio as a possible trade target for the Utah Jazz. This is a dicey proposition trading inside the division.

Don't see Rubio as a fit. It's like no one is watching the Jazz. The Jazz want guys that can shoot at every position and that can play without the ball as well.

Another trade target could be Eric Bledsoe. If the Phoenix Suns decide to clear the books and trade away the contracts of Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight that allows them to build their young core of Ulis, Booker, Bender, and their 4th pick. Then Phoenix is able to be a trade partner throughout the 2017-2018 season and beyond for teams seeking to shed salary. A perfect place for a rebuilding team. Utah can help them achieve those goals by trading the expiring contract of Derrick Favors + picks to the Phoenix Suns for Eric Bledsoe.

Phoenix was reportedly interested in Favors last year with Earl at the helm. They also have a couple young PF's Not sure how well Bledsoe plays without the ball and his 3 point shooting has been up and down and he also has been injury prone.

The Long Shot
Dante Exum.

Can't go into the season with him penciled in the staring line-up at any position especially pg or even the rotation. I think if he can show he can hit an open shot and defend he could start at the 2 or at least be in the rotation. That would be a start for him at least. But all they are talking about is a mid range game. Hit the open 3's first. He was 31%. Even getting it into the mid 30's might be enough to open up drives to the hoop where he needs to learn to finish. After that work on your mid range game.

If you want to talk Neto I will listen. He's already shown he's a solid starter or back-up at worst. But I know you won't because he wasn't the 5th pick of the draft. He's just a proven NBA player.

Next...

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 10:11 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680429/Still-young-but-Dante-Exum-hasnt-yet-justified-the-hype.html

Just as the air was leaking from the 2016-17 Jazz season, Dante Exum finally appeared. Where had this version been?

We saw it a few times. Got one summer and maybe a few months to show it all the time. Can he do it? I'm doubtful at this point. He might be better off in Australia or Europe learning to play the game first and than coming back in a few years when he has. The D-league is there for guys just like him usually AAU products not overseas guys though. He's a great athlete not an NBA player.

[QUOTE]Game 4 of the conference semifinals was an Exum reintroduction. He bull-rushed through the paint and dunked; rebounded and reversed off the glass; drained a 3-point shot. Late in the first half, he kept the Jazz from collapse. In the fourth quarter he drove again and scored, hit a pair of free throws, stole the ball. But he also missed an open 3 and a layup.

Mr. Someday Maybe was at it again.

Exum finished the game with his second-highest point total of the season (15). As he later explained, he had been called upon to be

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 11:14 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/21/15671164/2017-nba-free-agency-nba-draft-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-boston-celtics-trade-rumors

[QUOTE]Depending on Hayward

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 11:41 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/21/icymi-jeff-van-gundy-has-high-praise-for-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz/

[QUOTE]Whether or not you

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/20/utah-jazz-2016-17-a-player-review-of-trey-lyles/

Rudy Gobert is well on his way to greatness.

not there yet?

Were there any disappointments? Unfortunately, there was one distinct let down.

You're a unicorn and rainbows type of guy I guess. 1? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Trey rocked out during summer league. Purple and Blues contributor Hayden Van de Maat recapped Trey

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 04:52 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/21/is-it-unreasonable-for-hayward-to-expect-his-teammates-to-be-healthy/

The tricky question about the Jazz future relates to player health.

The big question about the luxury tax was just answered. Get Millsap, Sign Hill and Hayward. Dominate! :cheers:

Dante Exum has yet to regain form following a knee injury two seasons ago

How do you know what full form is since he was a better offensive player this year?

What if Gordon asks how the franchise is going to improve the health of its most injury-plagued players. Is there even an answer to that question? Will the Jazz commit to Gordon that players who cannot stay healthy will be replaced?

Add better depth and yes some of those could be replaced as well

[QUOTE]There is nothing more frustrating in today

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Arizona wing Rawle Alkins announced Sunday he will return to the Wildcats for his sophomore season after testing the NBA draft process by posting a statement on Twitter. Alkins was invited to the NBA combine earlier this month and worked out for the Nets and Raptors before making his decision. He was replaced for a workout with Utah on Saturday, fueling speculation he might return to Arizona.

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 10:44 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/21/utah-jazz-2016-17-player-review-dante-exum/

[QUOTE]Dant

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2017, 10:58 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/21/utah-jazz-quin-snyder-snubbed-coach-year-finalists/

Given the incredible season that Quin Snyder orchestrated for the Utah Jazz amidst a constant onslaught of injuries, he was absolutely snubbed by not being named a Coach of the Year finalist.

Supposed to be the deepest team in the league and their two stars were playing most of the time

[QUOTE]Instead, the three finalists for the prestigious coaching award were the San Antonio Spurs

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Teodosic told TASS reporter Andrey Kartashov after Sunday

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 09:56 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44340185&nid=304&title=whats-next-for-the-jazz-a-conversation-with-gail-miller

This past season the Jazz had an all-star on their roster in Gordon Hayward and a potential NBA Defensive player of the Year in Rudy Gobert.

All-NBA trumps all star sorry!

[QUOTE]Now that we put it in a legacy trust, it will be here forever," said Miller, who sees herself as the steward over the trust. "That is my way of saying this stewardship is secure. We are here to stay and that was Larry

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 10:01 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44339424&nid=304&title=jazz-rewind-2016-17-what-was-your-favorite-moment-of-the-season

[QUOTE] the season will also be marked by Rudy Gobert

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Atlanta Hawks All-Star forward Paul Millsap has opted out of his $21.4 million contract for next season to become a free agent, league sources told The Vertical. – via Yahoo! Sports

Bobby Marks: Paul Millsap will have a $30.1m hold against the Hawks cap. Millsap has bird rights and ATL can sign him to the max ($35.3m). – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

Time to bring him back home where he belongs! Sign him first than you can bring in Hill and Hayward. Tax paying the right way! Teamed with Rudy they become at least the 3rd best team in the league. If they don't get him maybe Griffin if the Clipps are looking to make changes?

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE]Jeff Goodman: The younger Kanter (Kerem Kanter) also told ESPN he is happy and relieved that his brother, Enes, is safe and back in the United States.

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 02:21 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5297317-155/utah-jazz-can-trey-lyles-bounce

Lyles apparently was told during his exit interview that his minutes were slashed due to the additions of Johnson and Diaw.

"They went with the older guys because they felt like they could do something with them as far as making a run," Lyles said, relaying his conversation with Snyder and general manager Dennis Lindsey.

Could have made a run last year. He shouldn't have been ahead of Withey especially at the first of the year. This year they gave him every opportunity to play and he failed. It was his play that landed him on the bench. They want him in the rotation. Now he has Bolomboy on his heels and more young guns on their way. This is the NBA. You have to produce or someone will replace you no matter where you are drafted. Why no D-league once he was benched?

Next season, however, Lyles very well could be needed.

He is needed. He's got the skill set to fit in offensively if he figures out it's a 5 man game and he's not Kobe. Needs to get in shape and use his size and length to defend and hit the boards. Get in prime shape and shoot a bunch of shots!

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 02:24 PM
http://herosports.com/nba/mvp-awards-breakdown-roy-coach-of-year-westbrook-harden-gobert-alal

Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
Kawhi Leonard, Houston Rockets

Gobert goes 1-of-2 for the night. And yes, he deserves this statue over Green and Leonard. The Jazz big man was a monster in the middle this year and led the league in basically every defensive statistical category. And he did it all without his wingman Derrick Favors, who sat out much of the season with a knee injury.

Who Deserves to Win: Gobert

Who Will Win: Green

probably Green and it's hard to dispute after watching him destroy the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 02:35 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/05/19/will-gordon-hayward-remain-the-face-of-the-utah-jazz/?utm_term=.c62f3180f709

Not the face

[QUOTE]2017-18 salary cap space (with projected $102 million cap)

$31.3 million. (Eight players with $65.7 million in guaranteed contracts, four draft picks worth $4.6 million). Doesn

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 02:46 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/22/15676424/nba-rumors-utah-jazz-milo-teodosic-atlanta-hawks-brooklyn-nets-sacramento-kings

[QUOTE]In addition to Teodosic

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Utah

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Kentucky

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 10:44 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680480/Analysis-Big-summer-ahead-for-Jazz-forward-Trey-Lyles.html

“This offseason is gonna be big for me in terms of continuing to get better, continuing to be more consistent, I think, in certain areas, and just taking ownership of everything,” he said.

2 comments on this story
Asked what he’d like to focus on, Lyles referred to three areas: (1) hitting corner threes, (2) making reads on the court and (3) increasing his upper body strength.

Everything is a good place to start. Making reads like passing to someone else occasionally? He never got to the corner to shoot 3's. Needs to get into shape

If it's true he may bot be traded because Bolomboy has moved past him

Ideally, Lyles would generate a stronger gravitational pull on opposing defenses, creating space for wings to drive and bigs to dive.

Got to hit shots and show you will pass as well

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 11:13 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/22/15678312/nba-offseason-rumors-milos-teodosic-utah-jazz-george-hill-brooklyn-nets-atlanta-hawks-toronto-raptor

I like the connection with he and Quin having been together at CSKA Moscow. I think that's the driving force behind the rumors.

The driving force is he said he wanted to play for the Jazz or SA and it was rumored SA didn't want him but a more recent rumor said otherwise

I'm really just hoping that the Jazz sign a mid-level point guard and that he and Exum split time next year. I just think George Hill is too expensive and would further complicate an already tight cap situation.

Why would anyone hope for this? The Jazz basically had two guys going against GS. Hill looked like that 3rd guy in September. Maybe they can get Millsap or Griffin as that 3rd guy but they don't grow on trees. And if they are really ready to pay tax they could get a 4th guy. Exum has yet to prove he belongs in a rotation and this Moscow guy sounds like a bench player not a starter.

Well this pretty much confirms that George Hill is gone.

It does? Says to me they would want this guy as Hill's back-up and the Dante fans will have to deal with him being at best a sg.

Vlade is so enamored with Buddy Hield that I don't think they're going to bring in another alpha PG.

Isn't Hield a sg?

Toronto The Dinos are in the same boat as the Jazz, as they would be stupid not to shop for a new PG with Lowry's impending free agency. Not gonna lie, Toronto is probably an attractive fit.

Lowry's back-up?

[QUOTE]Atlanta Does this mean the end of the Dennis Schr

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 12:02 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/23/worth-gsws-smallest-margin-victory-came-utah-jazz/

In the case of the Utah Jazz, they can find one such moral victory in noting that they held Golden State to the smallest average margin of victory of any of their Western Conference playoff foes.

:wtf:

[QUOTE]San Antonio most certainly has the most plausible

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 12:27 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/22/utah-jazz-pursue-2010-reunion-free-agency/

[QUOTE]A big reason why I liked that squad so much was because it featured Deron Williams playing at full force (he averaged a whopping 24.3 points in those playoffs), Paul Millsap who was clearly emerging as the future number one option at power forward as he averaged 18 points per game, just under Carlos Boozer

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 12:33 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/22/utes-standout-kyle-kuzma-draft-possibility-utah-jazz/

[QUOTE]The Jazz are currently stocked at the power forward position with Derrick Favors and Trey Lyles both under contract for next season, while the team also holds the option on the final year of Boris Diaw

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE]ASM SPORTS‏: ASM client @Mospeights16 has officially opted out of his contract with the @LAClippers

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44354878&nid=304&title=ben-anderson-jazz-at-center-of-nbas-wild-western-offseason

The Blazers have firepower, but lack size.

Have to be able to defend size or not. Two smaller guards doing the same things isn't great either

The Spurs may be losing legend Manu Ginobili to retirement and will need Pau Gasol to opt out of his contract to have any hope of retooling their roster financially.

It's the Spurs. They'll just keep winning

the Jazz are going to be fighting tooth and nail to retain Gordon Hayward when free agency opens in July.

Maybe? Van Gundy says he's already decided

the Houston Rockets need help around James Harden

Defense. The Warriors play great D and score. There's a difference between them and other high scoring teams

the Memphis Grizzlies may be forced to reimagine their image.

Going to be hard. Need Parsons to get healthy and contribute

the Jazz are loaded with expiring contracts that they can look to move this offseason or let expire going into the summer of 2018 for added free-agent flexibility. Between Joe Johnson, Derrick Favors and Boris Diaw, the Jazz could shed close to $30 million in contracts next year.

First I've seen of someone saying to possibly trade Joe! After his performance against the Warriors you have to. Thank you for the Clipper series. You will always be part of Jazz playoff lore. Good bye. That's what the great teams can do and has always been a problem in Utah where they like to keep their guys too long

Behind the Warriors, only the Rockets and Spurs appear as close to competing for a championship as the Jazz in the West

Don't see the Rockets in the conversation. Clippers could still be loaded. Westbrook gets some help? A team like Minnesota will come on quickly at some point like the Jazz this year though it was really a couple years ago when the Jazz came on only for the front office and coach to continue tanking

as the Warriors payroll grows too large to maintain.

We'll see. Maybe they pay everyone. No rule against it

Without Hayward, the Jazz must go back to the drawing board, though with Gobert on the roster, a total rebuild is out of the question.

Another first read! I can see this front office trying to tank though when they could be really good even without Hayward

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 05:16 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5322788-155/utah-jazz-does-derrick-favors-still

The Jazz then may have to dole out significant money to unrestricted free agent point guard George Hill and restricted free agent shooting guard Joe Ingles, as well.

With Dante Exum and Rodney Hood also eligible for possible contract extensions, things could quickly get quite expensive for the Jazz.

Love Joe but he has to go unless Hayward insists on it or he somehow doesn't get paid big bucks. Hood and Exum have to prove they deserve to get paid still. Hood has to some degree. I see 6th man. He sees starter. That could be a problem until he realizes it. But Exum is at best a young end of the bench guy with potential.

Favors and Prather have done the math. They know the possibility of a trade exists this summer or at the trade deadline next February.

Between December and the deadline seem more likely. He could be a valuable trade asset once he shows he's healthy since he is still eligible for an extension. There's still a chance they keep him if they think they can impose their will on other teams playing big against them instead of going small like everyone else

Favors is entering the final year of a team-friendly contract that will pay him $12 million in 2017-2018.

Hardly team friendly this year!

Favors was eligible for a renegotiation and extension of his contract this past season, but the two sides never came close to a deal.

Hard to believe! :rolleyes:

They can keep him and hope he returns to previous form, which would increase his value by next February.

I think that's the best option even if it means a big change to the line-up mid season which isn't ideal

"That's the one way I can see Derrick staying long-term," Prather said. "If Gordon leaves, Derrick becomes much more important."

Possibly but it may be even more reason to trade him. The Jazz will be resetting. Doubt they'd sign Hill or Ingles though I'd still try to get George

Favors is working out in Atlanta

instead of Utah. That might say a lot

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680588/Analysis-Did-the-Jazz-win-the-George-Hill-trade.html

Hill opts to go to the highest bidder

Don't see him going to the Nets or any crappy team

[QUOTE]Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry and Jrue Holiday

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 06:11 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/23/gordon-hayward-2016-17-season-review/

Hardly a mention of the playoffs where he went from very good to a pay anything you can to keep him player. :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 10:00 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44361104&nid=304&title=jazz-work-out-talk-about-pro-potential-of-byus-eric-mika-utahs-kyle-kuzma

Perrin agreed with that assessment of his shot, and added, "I thought Kyle had a very good workout. Kyle was by far the best player in this workout."

He's certainly on the radar now

Frank Jackson is scheduled to work out for the Jazz on Saturday, May 27, KSL.com has learned.

The Lone Peak two I guess. Mika and Jackson

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 10:13 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/23/15681672/nba-offseason-utah-jazz-vivint-arena-renovations-quick-reaction-miller-family

I think a statue of Jerry Sloan is in order.

Doesn't deserve it. Had great players and a boss that wouldn't fire him no matter what. Longevity doesn't get you statues. They already watered down the retired jerseys with Frank and Eaton. Keep the statues for all-time greats.

[QUOTE]I

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 10:17 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/23/san-antonio-spurs-threat-take-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz/

[QUOTE]free agent options for the Spurs, Leroux mentions none other than Utah

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2017, 10:24 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/23/unfortunately-utah-jazz-free-agent-shooting-guard-market-thin/

[QUOTE]I alluded to the hope that Derrick Favors will be able to round back into form and solve at least some of the power forward issues, but that I don

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE]Adam Zagoria: Teams considering Kentucky

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Looking at the current free agent list since it looks like the Jazz will be buyers with a lot of cap space and a willing tax spender. Need to be able to play with and without the ball, shoot the 3, pass, set screens and defend. Not sure all of these guys do all of these things but they all shoot the 3!

Bojan Bogdanovic-maybe not much D but can spread the floor and put the ball on the floor as well. Hits free throws which the Jazz certainly need more of. Favors back-up to start the year. Maybe Bolomboy starts once Favors is traded depending on what the trade brings back or what Trey Lyles shows. Restricted but Washington has Wall and Porter to pay first. Might be able to steal him.

Vince Carter still hitting the 3! Not sure where he fits unless he just wants to be part of a championship contender at the end of the bench

Casspi- He's been talked about before. Looks like a fit offensively. Back up Hayward and play some small ball 4

Ian Clark- Maybe back-up George Hill or at least an end of the bench piece? Hits 3's now like the Jazz hoped for when they signed him. Rudy was close with him I believe too. Bring him back home?

Covington- Looks like a possible fit but has a team option and did play big minutes for them but with Simmons and more draft picks do they pay him? 3 and D? Hits free throws. Back-up Favors and maybe start if he's traded.

Dante Cunningham- He's hitting the 3 now. Might be a great fit. Back-up Favors and Hayward maybe? Player option. I'm guessing he doesn't make much. Could be in line for a big deal now that he hits the 3

Tyler Ennis-Hits 3's, free throws, gets assists. Not sure if he's a combo or what but not yet 23. Could be someone to target hard.

Tyreke Evans- Could be a good fit for right price. Lots of injuries. Be wary.

Gallinari- Not sure about D and it looks like he is probably staying in Denver but if he wants to be part of a top 3 team He could start in Utah and play a huge role. Hits free throws

Galloway. Player option. Looks like a possible fit. Good fit age wise with their young core of Gobert and Hayward. hits free throws

Pao Gasol - sounds like he's staying in SA but he could be a great fit obviously especially now that he's shooting 3's

Gay- Not sure he really fits but coming off an injury maybe he accepts a bench role to prove his worth for a team friendly price. hits free throws

Jerami Grant- team option and I think they like him- could be a good fit though. hits free throws

JaMychal Green- Restricted. Probably be hard to get him but he should be high on the list. hits free throws

Griffin ETO Should be high on the list if the Clipps blow it up. Great fit offensively. injuries the past 3 years though. hits free throws

Kris Humprhries - now hits the 3. hits free throws. Might be a great end for end of the bench option anyway. Bring him back home!

Ibaka - should be high on the list. hits free throws

Ersan Ilyasova - back up Favors. hits free throws

Jonas Jerebko - possible fit. at least for the end of the bench

Amir Johnson - could be great fit. back-up Favors. Possibly starter if he's traded

James Johnson- might be hard to get away from Miami but should try

Korver - not sure he's the best fit. Yes he can shoot but not much else. Jazz have versatile guys

Joffrey Lauvergne- possible back-up for Rudy and Favors? at least the end of the bench. restricted

Liggins - team option. could be a fit. at least the end of the bench possible 3 and D?

Lowry- not the best fit

Mbah A Moute, Luc- I'd go after him- 3 and d. Not sure how Hayward feels but depending on who you can get in free agency I'd think of moving Hayward to the 4 especially if Favors gets moved. player option

Mclemore - might be a fit for an end of the bench development role. restricted

Meeks- might be a fit for the end of the bench. recent injury history hits FT's

CJ Miles-Bring him back home! great fit now. hits FT's. player option

Patty Mills - My Aussie for pg if Hill is gone. Could start in Utah and have a bigger role though he might in SA too with Parker out, Hits FT's

Millsap! My guy before this Gobert character. One of the top guys, Do it!

Morrow - good end of the bench shooter. hits FT's

Motiejunas, Donatas if he's cheap maybe

Muscala Rudy back-up? hits ft's

Olynyk - perfect fit offensively. passing and shooting. defense? restricted

Patterson - might be available with Toronto looking possibly at big tax bill. back-up

Porter - someone they should target hard but might be for not. restricted

Redick great fit for bench. will get too much money from someone

Roberts - might be a good get for the end of the bench hits FT's

Rodriquez - someone I think Jerry would have liked. Not sure he fits as well currently but should be able to because of his European game. D?

Rush - Might be a fit now that he's recovered from his knee surgery

Scola - always liked him and now he hits 3's! D?

Scott - a fit if the Jazz can get past his arrest that he was non guilty of. hits ft's

Snell - restricted. probably not getting him. hits ft's

Speights, Marreese should be high on their list for Rudy's back-up. player option

Teague - played in Atlanta but not the best fit. hits ft's

Terry - can still shoot. hits ft's. Once a restricted FA signing for the Jazz. better late than never?

Waiters - player option. Not sure if he's the best fit or not based on his part history. looks like he may have finally arrived though

Deron. Not sure he is the best fit really though I like the idea of him coming back

Nick Young on paper this year looks like a fit, Not sure Utah is ready for Swaggy though

I'd be surprised if they sign any NBA player not from this list. If they do it will be because they could get these guys.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 09:39 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5325856-155/kragthorpe-warriors-coach-takes-jazz-influence

Collins is doing his part, just as he always did for eight seasons as a Jazz center. He's well remembered by teammates and coaches, who appreciated him beyond his 4.3-point scoring average in 480 games from 2001 to 2009. That's why he was No. 41 in The Salt Lake Tribune's all-time rankings of New Orleans/Utah Jazz players in '09 and would remain solidly inside of the top 50 on an updated list.

Pretty sure I could come up with 50 ahead of him.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 09:44 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/vertical-mock-draft-version-3-0-204544892.html

Wonder if this Jeanne guy is even on their radar. A few mocks have them taking him. Not sure they need another Rudy

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 10:24 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/24/nba-draft-rumor-utah-jazz-guarantee-michigans-d-j-wilson/

Wilson injured his quad during a workout with the San Antonio Spurs earlier this month. The only team that was able to see him full-bore before the injury was the Jazz, who had him in for a workout on April 29.

That works in their favor if they really made him a promise. Room for him, Lyles and Bolomboy on the roster? He should be about the same age as Lyles too.

[QUOTE]With strong measurables

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2017, 10:39 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/24/four-reasons-utah-jazz-fans-root-against-golden-state-warriors/

If I had to cite a singular time or event that spawned my Warriors hatred, this is it. The infamous Golden State Tank Job of 2012. One of the more shameful examples of a long-hated practice in NBA circles.

Funny! The Jazz were the 6th best team to end the 2015 season yet were worse last year. They might not be as good at tanking or drafting in the lottery as the Warriors but they still haven't fully stopped tanking to my eyes! :rolleyes:

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE]The wing, who had an extremely impressive 2016-17 season, is currently a restricted free agent, with the teams across the league able to give him an offer sheet, which the Utah Jazz are allowed to match. Because of his free agency status, the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Garry Parrish: Hamidou Diallo is withdrawing from the NBA Draft and returning to Kentucky, a source told @CBSSports.

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2017, 01:31 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680703/Report-Former-Lone-Peak-star-Frank-Jackson-undergoes-foot-surgery-expected-to-be-out-until-July.html

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/25/15686490/why-im-a-fan-of-the-utah-jazz-cj-miles-indiana-pacers-slc-dunk-redesign

Bring him home!

El Kabong
05-26-2017, 06:47 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/25/15686490/why-im-a-fan-of-the-utah-jazz-cj-miles-indiana-pacers-slc-dunk-redesign

Bring him home!
Not the worst target, especially if we move JJ on.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE]Big man Kelly Olynyk, who rescued the Celtics with Game 7 heroics against Washington, is a restricted free agent, and while Boston does not want to lose him outright, a sizable offer from another team could price him out of the Celtics

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE]The Nuggets have all kinds of options, but there is a sense in NBA circles that the right offer for Barton would get real consideration, especially considering the Nuggets have so much depth to manage as things stand, swapping out Barton, drafting a new young guy and getting value in the moves might be smarter in the long run.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 04:03 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44387055&nid=304&title=jazz-practice-facility-renovation-to-keep-players-happy-healthy-in-utah

sounds pretty sweet!

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 04:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nbas-most-wanted-top-30-summer-targets-via-trade-free-agency-or-the-nba-draft/

26. George Hill | PG | Utah Jazz
Would be in the top-15, but he's a free agent who is over 30, coming off his worst injury season of his career, looking for something close to a max deal. Like Holiday, why would a club pay top dollar for an aging player who isn't top ten at his position?

In November he was arguably top 10. That's why the Jazz need to keep him ideally.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 04:47 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865680481/Upstill-Gordon-Hayward-has-a-lot-to-consider-this-offseason.html

[QUOTE]In 2011, the Utah Jazz had a dilemma: What to do with their superstar? Deron Williams was 1 1/2 years away from unrestricted free agency. Do the Jazz ride it out and hope to sign him in the offseason or trade him so they won

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 05:46 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/26/five-replacements-if-utah-jazz-cant-retain-free-agents/

[QUOTE]What Hayward opts to do with his unrestricted free agency will certainly influence the rest of Utah

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2017, 05:50 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246059/Playoffs-Could-Have-Fewest-Games-In-Expanded-Format-Era-Bring-Down-Cap

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Multiple league sources have told CSNNE.com in recent weeks that the Celtics are focused on landing an All-Star caliber talent in the frontcourt. That makes sense when you consider how guard-dominant the Celtics were this season and how that had a negative impact on the team

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2017, 07:12 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44410709&nid=304&title=likely-lottery-prospect-donovan-mitchell-complimentary-of-jazz-at-workout

Mitchell is a talented player. While he's only 6-foot-3, making him short for an NBA shooting guard, his measured 6-foot-10 wingspan

Sounds like their guy. Maybe they can move to get him somehow

we're not a franchise that gives guarantees unless we're absolutely sure. And we're not absolutely sure.

I could have guessed that not that they would admit to it

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2017, 03:17 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/28/utah-jazz-dont-panic-sky-isnt-falling-gordon-hayward-may-just-come-back/

[QUOTE]Looking beyond Gobert, the Jazz have a roster brimming with talented young players like Rodney Hood, Dante Exum and Trey Lyles. Each had their struggles last season, but they also present an opportunity for internal growth not present with Hayward

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2017, 03:37 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/28/utah-jazz-2016-17-player-review-rodney-hood/

Hood was completely injury-free for the first 19 games of the year. He missed just one game with illness before a hamstring injury set him back and knocked his great season off course.

19 games! Was the illness that started things off-track

In these first 19 games, Hood averaged 16.1 points per game and looked like a more than capable contributor whose starting role was never in question.

It should have been. He looks like a 6th man then and now

[QUOTE]he was very athletic and knew how use every bit of his 6-foot-8 frame. This was taken from him with the hamstring soreness, the hyperextended knee, the plantar fasciitis that

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2017, 11:28 AM
The season was a surprise, considering Ingles was told he

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2017, 12:18 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/joe-ingles-free-agency-the-priority-is-utah-negotiations-on-roughys-sofa-and-a-healthy-jazz/news-story/ba7b128546c9a02529e6265a73d31932

[QUOTE]The season was a surprise, considering Ingles was told he

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Jack Stockton, the former owner of Jack and Dan

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2017, 02:43 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/28/utah-jazz-fans-billboards-boston-celtics-fans-shamrock-emojis/

There are a lot of good things going on in Jazz land, including an incredible rim protector in Rudy Gobert, a great young core, a rising coach in Quin Snyder and excellent management.

Could we start pushing the great young core? It was Gobert and Hayward vs the Warriors from what I saw. he Celtics certainly have better young players and Ainge is proven unlike the hyped Lindsey. Snyder is better than Rivers but who isn't?

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2017, 11:34 PM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/29/utah-jazz-need-to-find-a-closer/

[QUOTE]George Hill has hit several clutch shots in his career, and you can find a few of them here, here and here, but he has never been considered a

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 10:13 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/29/derrick-favors-days-with-the-utah-jazz-may-be-numbered/

[QUOTE]The one scenario where Prather can see Favors staying in Salt Lake City is if the team misses out on retaining Hayward. His belief is that Hayward

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 10:28 AM
http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/29/dante-exum-key-utah-jazzs-success-2017-18/

[QUOTE]Dante Exum the key to Utah Jazz

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE]Marc Stein: NBA Draft scuttle: Hearing Detroit is open to discussing trades for its No. 12 overall pick in hopes of acquiring more of a win-now veteran.

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 02:54 PM
or Diaw?

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Indiana Pacers swingman C.J. Miles will decline his player option for the 2017-18 season and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, league sources tell ESPN. Miles, 30, is forgoing a salary of approximately $4.8 million in hopes of securing an extended, lucrative deal this offseason.

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2017, 08:12 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44440709&nid=304&title=ben-anderson-jazz-can-build-for-the-best-prepare-for-worst-in-hayward-sweepstakes

Theoretically, the Jazz could make all four picks with an eye on keeping Hayward in Utah. The team could select more NBA ready players in the form of college upperclassmen, and hope one of them steps in as an immediate contributor.

Need to quit expecting draft picks to come in and play for anyone other than the Stars especially immediately. Ideally later on in the year maybe.

the Jazz could be left with good, not great, players with low upside on a rebuilding roster.

No excuse for rebuilding when you have Gobert

The Jazz's general manager Dennis Lindsey showed last summer he has a knack for adding veteran pieces to his core who can step in and provide immediate help, needing very little time to gel. In addition to Hill, Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw carved out valuable roles in their first seasons with the Jazz.

Johnson didn't gel until later in the year when he was moved to the 4 . Diaw was up and down all year.

trading for non-star-level veterans could complicate the development of Dante Exum and Trey Lyles, should Hayward leave, placing the Jazz in no-man's land, somewhere between a true rebuild and a roster competing for something meaningful.

Exum is in the last year of his contract! They will play if they deserve to play regardless

[QUOTE] if the Jazz were willing to move Hood, they likely wouldn