PDA

View Full Version : 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Pages : [1] 2

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
This is really pathetic, and a major cause for concern in my opinion.

The guy is going to be a serious defensive liability. How will he keep any four off the block? How will he keep any three off the block for that matter? He probably bailed himself out with his height in college, now I see him being terribly exposed. Add to that his slow feet and it is a really interesting dilemma.

The last player I remember not benching the minimum was Shaun Livingston and look how he has turned out. Injury after injury (not having stength leads to injury) and SL was point guard. Durant will have to guard bigger stronger players.

Maybe he is a natural scorer and a gamer with a high bball IQ, but so was Adam Morrison and look how he made the jump (yikes).

Did this news drop your opinion of Durant's star potential in your mind as it did mine? I could be overvaluing this result and Durant could end up doing just what he did in college (dominating), but we could also have the next Brad Sellers on our hands.

adamcz
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Every other draft candidate can probably bench Durant at least once.

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Every other draft candidate can probably bench Durant at least once.

its shocking, 95% of average joe's in college can probably bench 185

mlh1981
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
He's still young and his body is growing. Cut him some slack.

He put up his numbers last season in a major conference, despite his lack of strength. We just need some patience with him, and his body will mature as he gets older.

melvinthompson
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM

The guy is going to be a serious defensive liability. How will he keep any four off the block? How will he keep any three off the block for that matter? He probably bailed himself out with his height in college, now I see him being terribly exposed. Add to that his slow feet and it is a really interesting dilemma.

The last player I remember not benching the minimum was Shaun Livingston and look how he has turned out. Injury after injury (not having stength leads to injury) and SL was point guard. Durant will have to guard bigger stronger players.

Maybe he is a natural scorer and a gamer with a high bball IQ, but so was Adam Morrison and look how he made the jump (yikes).

Did this news drop your opinion of Durant's star potential in your mind as it did mine? I could be overvaluing this result and Durant could end up doing just what he did in college (dominating), but we could also have the next Brad Sellers on our hands.

Hell no! Durant's going to be a monster in the NBA. Don't forget he's only 19 years old and he ACTUALLY looks like a 19 year old instead of some genetic mutated freak like Lebron or Oden. His first year in league he'll average 20+ and although he might struggle on the block, give him a year or two to pack on some muscle and he'll be fine.

adamcz
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Could Morrison bench it last year? I know Shawn Livingston couldn't do it in '04.

IGOTGAME
06-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Durant should be ashamed... But he did grow a little over an inch during the season. So I think maybe it payed off not lifting hard.

Im just excited that he is still growing. Dude is 6"10 with a 7"5 wingspan thats impressive.

clayton
06-07-2007, 01:05 PM
He probably started working out, later than most of the players out there.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM
he must have neglected to weight train in his teenage years because he wanted his body to g row to its full potential height.

being 6'10" is much harder than benching 300 pounds.

his rookie season I can see him have a terrible year plagued with fouls, but I think if he wants to succeed in the NBA he will need to hire a strength coach and he will need to lift like he's never lifteed before

tweedy bird loc
06-07-2007, 01:30 PM
he'll get stronger, he'll be benching 200+ this year with strength coaches, no problem.

bomber
06-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah its pathetic

JalenRawley
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Which would you rather draft?

A player who is a physically gifted player, that you have to teach the game of basketball to..

or

A player who is a gifted basketball player that you have to teach bodybuilding to?

Give me a lithe kid who can shoot over a musclehead who just can't learn how to shoot a jump shot. Give me Michael Redd over Ira Newble -any- day.

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
People, it is not basketball versus musclehead, it isnt even a matter of he'll improve once he starts working out...that is all irrelevant.

185 is VERY easy for most regular people to bench press. It isnt a hard thing for an every day kind of dude to do.

We are talking about a professional athlete who weighs 215lbs.

If he was weak I wouldn't worry, but to be abnormally weak is as shocking as it is worrying.

For a man in his position not to be able to do this is FREAKISHLY unathletic.

Lebron23
06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I think Kevin Durants wants his draft stock to drop so that he might finally be pick by the Boston Celtics.

Danny Ainge must be praying that the Celts might get Kevin Durant.

Loki
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
People, it is not basketball versus musclehead, it isnt even a matter of he'll improve once he starts working out...that is all irrelevant.

185 is VERY easy for most regular people to bench press. It isnt a hard thing for an every day kind of dude to do.

We are talking about a professional athlete who weighs 215lbs.

If he was weak I wouldn't worry, but to be abnormally weak is as shocking as it is worrying.

For a man in his position not to be able to do this is FREAKISHLY unathletic.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a big to-do over the bench press results for draftees, since many of them, especially the taller players, weren't able to do more than a few reps at 180 or 200 pounds (I forget what it was). They say arm length is a big factor.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Whats more pathetic Durant not lifting 185 once or everyone making topics about how the Cavs can beat the Spurs? I think if you read the first 3 pages you'll start disliking everyone being attention whores because they want you to look up under thier skirt (read thier enlightening thoughts on how the cavs can beat the spurs) more than Durant not being able to bench 185.

And honestly? In Durants defense if he never lifted a weight or used the bench in his life or even sparringly. There is no way he can just sit on the bench and push 185 off his chest just because he is tall and can play basketball. Lifting weights isnt exactly easy....not many are born strong. Most begginners when they first start lifting off the bench cant even bench thier own weight. So if he left high school not ever using the weight room (if they had one) or he didnt really target lifting 185 or better when he did. Then expecting him in college to hit the gym and start pushing 185 off his chest 8 times is reaching. When you're avg a double double in college having a phenominal season...chances of you being FORCED to weight train isnt likely. So until we know how Texas bball program incorporates weight training and how important it is there....then we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Him not lifting 185 just means he needs to get stronger. So get over it. Nash probably is a weakling.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Its really not. I bet a large % of the posters who actually post here (not just members) couldnt bench 185 if they havent been in the gym at all or in a long time. So thats a wrong assumption on your part. And if you take graduating highschoolers and freshman in college who never lifted weights or lifted them off and on...nothing consistent. Placing them on the bench and orcing them to push 185 off thier chest they couldnt do. He's 19. Every 19yr old can push 185 off thier chest? Thats hilarious...so we got a bunch of billy bad asses in America? So all it takes for kids to lift 300lbs is basically a year. If you can push off 185 easily then within a year you should be able to hit 300. According to your logic.

Loki
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
When I was 16-17 or so, I went with my friend in the morning's to the local gym. I was around 180 pounds at the time (I'm 6'1") and had never lifted a weight in my life, nor done much manual labor of any sort. I had no problem doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at 185 pounds.

I mean, I agree with you that everyone's different, but it's still pretty surprising that a guy who's in such great shape wouldn't be able to do it, since you'd think that he would have done other sorts of similar strength-building exercises over the years (push-ups, resistance training etc.) just by virtue of being active. I mean, not being able to do a set I can understand, but one rep?

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Adam Morrison doesn't have Durant's 7'5 wingspan and 6'10 height. And although Durant may struggle in man-to-man d (like most rookies) if his strength is such a problem compared to other picks, why were none of them ever able to exploit it? He's a small forward, not a defensive end, and if he plays the 3 most sfs won't be able to post him up that well at all because, remember, he's 6'10 with a 7'5" wingspan. If you could be an effective post player by just muscling then guys like Brandon Hunter would be great. but no 6'7/220 lbs. SF is going to succeed against Durant in the paint. This isn't football.

adamcz
06-07-2007, 02:18 PM
By the way, I think his physical limitations are more reason to pass on him at #1 and go with super-freak athelete Oden. It's not a reason to think twice about him at #2. He's still a way better prospect than anyone else in the draft, and anyone else from most drafts.

LakerRaider
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Panelists were talking about this on ESPN (Entertainment & Sporting Network)'s Around the Horn and one of the Panelists compared Kevin Durant's situation to Scottie Pippen's situation. Scottie Pippen was probably as thin as Kevin Durant until the Chicago Bulls staff got a hold of him and he turned out like he was - more muscular than he was when they drafted him.

They also made the point that this is not the NFL (National Football League) Combine. Lifting so much weight shouldn't matter. The only thing you need to worry about is the basketball which is one and a half pounds.

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:26 PM
By the way, I think his physical limitations
One thing: It's not a "limitation." It's just an extremely long-armed, skinny beginner doing poorly on the bench press, something that doesn't even matter much for perimeter players anyway. He can and will get stronger and it's only going to be important when he's trying to get And-1s. What's more important is leg strength and quickness. Most plays where upper body strength is important are fouls.

hippos
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
His weakness will effect his game obviously. I have been saying all along that he won't be able to back down anyone, get to the basket as easy as he did in college(rebounding and driving), or be able to defend many small forwards when they back him down from the very beginning.

I have been saying all along he will be a jump shooter to start (also has to do with his handles) and will rely on pump fakes to drive....but of course he better be hitting his shots his rookie season or he's going to disappoint many people this year.

Wouldn't suprise me if he's a lot like Tim Thomas his first season or at least the first half until he better acclimates himself to the NBA. Of course I feel he'll be a little bit better than that, but that is a worst case scenario.

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
I weigh 210 and can't bench 185. I'm not a weight lifter.

Have you never seen Durant play?

Kid will be just fine..........

vert48
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Panelists were talking about this on ESPN (Entertainment & Sporting Network)'s Around the Horn and one of the Panelists compared Kevin Durant's situation to Scottie Pippen's situation. Scottie Pippen was probably as thin as Kevin Durant until the Chicago Bulls staff got a hold of him and he turned out like he was - more muscular than he was when they drafted him.Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)

Also, ESPN stands for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network". If you are going to be annoying, at least get it right.

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Panelists were talking about this on ESPN (Entertainment & Sporting Network)'s Around the Horn and one of the Panelists compared Kevin Durant's situation to Scottie Pippen's situation. Scottie Pippen was probably as thin as Kevin Durant until the Chicago Bulls staff got a hold of him and he turned out like he was - more muscular than he was when they drafted him.

They also made the point that this is not the NFL (National Football League) Combine. Lifting so much weight shouldn't matter. The only thing you need to worry about is the basketball which is one and a half pounds.Seriously, guy.

You have got to cut that out. That is annoying and pointless.

vert48
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I weigh 210 and can't bench 185. I'm not a weight lifter.

Have you never seen Durant play?

Kid will be just fine..........So you are saying that Durant is just like you. Are you sure that is a compliment? How much did you sign for?

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
His weakness will effect his game obviously. I have been saying all along that he won't be able to back down anyone, get to the basket as easy as he did in college(rebounding and driving), or be able to defend many small forwards when they back him down from the very beginning.
He's got too much length for most SFs to post him. They can push him all they want to, but he's going to have over a foot of standing reach advantage on most of them so as soon as they get that ball up in the air he's going to swat it unless they fire it from awkward angles, which can be as bad as getting blocked.

GOBB
When I was 16-17 or so, I went with my friend in the morning's to the local gym. I was around 180 pounds at the time (I'm 6'1") and had never lifted a weight in my life, nor done much manual labor of any sort. I had no problem doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at 185 pounds.

I find that hard to believe. Maybe genetics played a part in that? But Durant is rail thin. When I first started lifting weights I had to start out using the bar to get down the technique then gradually add weight. Lifting 185 took time. And I played sports and boxed. So i was in shape. Just not strong. Just never lifted any weights. But I remember kids who just genetically had bodies like they lifted before and didnt. And they could do more weight then me. Maybe you were one of those kids.

185 is basically 2 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates. Bar is generally 45lbs on its own. I just dont see a mofo who never lifted sitting down and pushing that off thier chest like you did. I can see Durant not lifting 185 once before i can see 2-3 sets of 10 at 185 from someone who never lifted weights a day in his life. Sorry.

LakerRaider
Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)

What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.

MaxFly
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Again, it's amazing how this kid, who is being bashed as a weakling and underdeveloped, had managed to dominate the NCAA this year. We seem to be missing the big picture; all of this says an awful lot about athleticism vs. skill. If people want to let him drop in the draft... be my guest... some team will pick him up and we'll all be looking foolish in the near future.

hippos
06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
He's got too much length for most SFs to post him. They can push him all they want to, but he's going to have over a foot of standing reach advantage on most of them so as soon as they get that ball up in the air he's going to swat it unless they fire it from awkward angles, which can be as bad as getting blocked.

I'm not going to assume he's gonna block shots left and right. All a smart player needs to do on a rookie is pump fake and get under his arm. Draw a foul or have a clear 5 footer.

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)
He is prepared...to play basketball. And that is not the same thing, or even similar, to the bench press. If you want to talk about strenght, his leg press numbers are actually far more important. Question for anyone that thinks his bench press is a major issue: What plays will his inability to overpower opponents with his upper body be a problem? Other than getting and1s it doesn't matter.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Seriously, guy.

You have got to cut that out. That is annoying and pointless.

You're talking to a stubborn individual who will reply about how he isnt bothering you, he is talkin basketball blah blah blah ontop of asking you to relax because he takes your feelings into consideration. If you reply to him just start your post off with "You're a dyckhead..." then get into your point. Its what I would do.

vert48
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.I have never heard of the National Football League. Is there another, generally accepted name that it is known by?

LakerRaider
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I have never heard of the National Football League. Is there another, generally accepted name that it is known by?

NFL (National Football League)

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm not going to assume he's gonna block shots left and right. All a smart player needs to do on a rookie is pump fake and get under his arm. Draw a foul or have a clear 5 footer.
Here's the thing: If you have a foot of reach advantage you can wait for the shooter to jump before you go for the block. That's why length is such a major advantage. He'll have problems with d like most rookies do but that's definitely not something that ought to be held against him. If it was really so easy to post taller guys with naught but a strength advantage guys like Antonio Gates wouldn't wind up in the NFL.

hippos
06-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Again, it's amazing how this kid, who is being bashed as a weakling and underdeveloped, had managed to dominate the NCAA this year. We seem to be missing the big picture; all of this says an awful lot about athleticism vs. skill. If people want to let him drop in the draft... be my guest... some team will pick him up and we'll all be looking foolish in the near future.

Big 12 had no big men. See what happened when he went up against a group bigs that are aggresive and enjoy contact (MSU). He had a subpar game and Texas lossed.

Loki
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I find that hard to believe. Maybe genetics played a part in that? But Durant is rail thin. When I first started lifting weights I had to start out using the bar to get down the technique then gradually add weight. Lifting 185 took time. And I played sports and boxed. So i was in shape. Just not strong. Just never lifted any weights. But I remember kids who just genetically had bodies like they lifted before and didnt. And they could do more weight then me. Maybe you were one of those kids.

185 is basically 2 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates. Bar is generally 45lbs on its own. I just dont see a mofo who never lifted sitting down and pushing that off thier chest like you did. I can see Durant not lifting 185 once before i can see 2-3 sets of 10 at 185 from someone who never lifted weights a day in his life. Sorry.

Well, I did it. I have no reason to lie, really -- it's not like I'm flapping about pressing 300+ pounds or something. 185 isn't that big of a deal. And yeah, I've been told that I'm naturally strong; I'm also very broad-shouldered. If I lifted weights for a few years I'd probably look like DHoward, since everyone always thinks I lift as it is because of my chest/shoulders.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.

you've obviously never played at a high level of organized ball before.

strenght means everything.

if you are not strong, and you play against very tall and strong guys, you will get no layups. if you are in that situation, you better pray your jumpshot never fails

vert48
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
NFL (National Football League)Ahh, that makes sense. How 'bout using the generally accepted name from now on instead of making Laker fans look like retards.

hippos
Here's the thing: If you have a foot of reach advantage you can wait for the shooter to jump before you go for the block. That's why length is such a major advantage. He'll have problems with d like most rookies do but that's definitely not something that ought to be held against him. If it was really so easy to post taller guys with naught but a strength advantage guys like Antonio Gates wouldn't wind up in the NFL.

You lead me to my next point. How is he going to defend small forwards on the perimter that are much quicker than him? He doesn't have great lateral quickness. His stature and the way he defends makes me believe he's gonna get crossed up a lot.

LakerRaider
you've obviously never played at a high level of organized ball before.

strenght means everything.

if you are not strong, and you play against very tall and strong guys, you will get no layups. if you are in that situation, you better pray your jumpshot never fails

Look at Tayshaun Prince and how skinny he is, yet he's one of the better defenders of the league.

LakerRaider
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Ahh, that makes sense. How 'bout using the generally accepted name from now on instead of making Laker fans look like retards.

Wow, you think I'm a representative of all Los Angeles Lakers fans??? Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but unfortunately I don't represent all Los Angeles Lakers fans. Now, quit responding to me and get back on topic.

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
You lead me to my next point. How is he going to defend small forwards on the perimter that are much quicker than him? He doesn't have great lateral quickness. His stature and the way he defends makes me believe he's gonna get crossed up a lot.
That could be a problem, sure. But not getting posted up by sfs. Only centers and power forwards would have the height to really take advantage of Durant's lack of muscle.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Big 12 had no big men. See what happened when he went up against a group bigs that are aggresive and enjoy contact (MSU). He had a subpar game and Texas lossed.

21pts 9rbs 4blks in a 2pt loss that was Durants 3rd game of his college career. You f*cking idiot. :roll: And if you mention his FG (7-19) he went 1-8 from downtown. So basically his deep ball was off. Kudos for having a freshman in his 3rd game shoot bad from the feld. No really. I'm pretty sure we're gonna see those MSU forwards in the NBA someday (contributing). :sleeping

GOBB
06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Look at Tayshaun Prince and how skinny he is, yet he's one of the better defenders of the league.

Tayshaun Prince isnt weak. He's strong genius. Same with KG, Tyson Chandler. Whose frames didnt change that drastically when they were rookies. But what did improve was thier strength. And Prince spent years in college and learned HOW to play defense. Durant hasnt learned. But he has the ability, the long wingspan to be a heck of a defender.

LakerRaider
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Tayshaun Prince isnt weak. He's strong genius. Same with KG, Tyson Chandler. Whose frames didnt change that drastically when they were rookies. But what did improve was thier strength. And Prince spent years in college and learned HOW to play defense. Durant hasnt learned. But he has the ability, the long wingspan to be a heck of a defender.

I never said Tayshaun Prince was weak, I said he was skinny. Read to Achieve.

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
21pts 9rbs 4blks in a 2pt loss that was Durants 3rd game of his college career. You f*cking idiot. :roll: And if you mention his FG (7-19) he went 1-8 from downtown. So basically his deep ball was off. Kudos for having a freshman in his 3rd game shoot bad from the feld. No really. I'm pretty sure we're gonna see those MSU forwards in the NBA someday (contributing). :sleeping

He better not go 1-8 from downtown in the NBA or he will never see the paint.

And why do you think he took 8 threes against MSU? :roll:

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
So you are saying that Durant is just like you. Are you sure that is a compliment? How much did you sign for?Since you are too stupid to see what I'm saying.......

I don't lift weights. Kevin Durant probably doesn't lift weights. We don't lift weights. So in that area, yes, we are the same. As a result, we can't bench 185 pounds (I've never tried, but I'm sure I can't).

Kevin Durant is a badass basketball player, though. He couldn't bench 185 when he was averaging like 23 and 12 at Texas as a freshman. Why does it matter now?

GOBB
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I did it. I have no reason to lie, really -- it's not like I'm flapping about pressing 300+ pounds or something. 185 isn't that big of a deal. And yeah, I've been told that I'm naturally strong; I'm also very broad-shouldered. If I lifted weights for a few years I'd probably look like DHoward, since everyone always thinks I lift as it is because of my chest/shoulders.

Well there you have it. Genetics helped you in your case. Durant doesnt have the makeup that you have. 185 is THAT big of a deal when you put someone on a bench who has never lifted weights before let alone that weight.

I gurantee that point alone would be proven if we could take the 17-19yr olds here who havent benched press. Heck throw in those who have but nothing consistent. Meaning they did it but havent done it for awhile. Throw 2 45's 2 25's on the bar and spot them...i bet you would be picking it up off thier chest. :roll: Bunch of Kevin Durants on that bench minus the game.

You're just naturally strong and probably would look like Van Sniffmuesen from Switzerland in the Strongest Man comp that come on espn.

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 03:05 PM

He took 8 threes because he's a shooter, and "shooters shoot." Why did you reply after you got busted, anyway? People should learn to shut up sometimes (or just don't post the bs to begin with).

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 03:05 PM

And why do you think he took 8 threes against MSU? :roll:Wow.

The kid had one bad shooting game. Fantastic. All hail Michigan State! :bowdown:

Must be because he's weak and not strong.....

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Kevin Durant is a badass basketball player, though. He couldn't bench 185 when he was averaging like 23 and 12 at Texas as a freshman. Why does it matter now?
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a lack of upper body strength is going to so severely hold him back. Legs are actually far more important.

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow.

The kid had one bad shooting game. Fantastic. All hail Michigan State! :bowdown:

Must be because he's weak and not strong.....

Oden had lackluster games agaisnt MSU too.....I guess it was just a fluke.:rolleyes:

How did I get busted, Get Buckets? I said he was forced to take threes, Gobb disagreed. Where was I busted?:confusedshrug:

vert48
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow, you think I'm a representative of all Los Angeles Lakers fans??? Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but unfortunately I don't represent all Los Angeles Lakers fans. Now, quit responding to me and get back on topic.
I think you are representative of Laker fans that people love to hate. Now quit annoying people.

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Oden had lackluster games agaisnt MSU too.....I guess it was just a fluke.:rolleyes:

How did I get busted, Get Buckets? I said he was forced to take threes, Gobb disagreed. Where was I busted?:confusedshrug:Probably was seeing as how OSU won the Big Ten and went to the national championship game........

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Probably was seeing as how OSU won the Big Ten and went to the national championship game........

I'll let you take the easy road out. Have no time for guys that pretend to know about stuff they don't.

vert48
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Since you are too stupid to see what I'm saying.......

I don't lift weights. Kevin Durant probably doesn't lift weights. We don't lift weights. So in that area, yes, we are the same. As a result, we can't bench 185 pounds (I've never tried, but I'm sure I can't).

I do not care whether he can lift the 185 so much. What concerns me is that he did not see this coming.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Because he avg 6 3pt attempts per game as a freshman. And has shot 8 or more 3pt'ers 9 times last season. :confusedshrug:

His ball handling needs work. Does have Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Tmac ball handling abilities yet. They are good but they need to be better to suit his athletic ability as he drives to the rim. And also whats married with ball handling can be his physical strength which is needed when he does decide to drive. His game will most likely mirror Dirk but he is more athletic so he wont look like a STIFF out there (like Dirk does dispite his performance). But neither will back you down, have a low post game (I like Durants fadeaway over Dirk 1 hop step crap) until Durant gets stronger.

Like i said I dont expect amazing things like many see as a rookie. We'll see what happens but i think his lack of strength will limit him until he gets stronger. Durant is a scorer and a good shooter but I dont see Ray Allen out there. So maybe Durant shoots shoots and shoots his rookie season like he is Ray Allen (his teammate to be hopefully) :confusedshrug:

We agree he isnt strong and needs to improve his ball handling. By year 3 he will be a lock as a top 10 player and more than likely arguably a top 5 player. Those are my expectations. Oden and Durant by year 3 = will do that.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a lack of upper body strength is going to so severely hold him back. Legs are actually far more important.

He avg 11rpg in college. His lack of upper body strength will come into play on the offensive and defensive glass when he tries to rebound.

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Because he avg 6 3pt attempts per game as a freshman. And has shot 8 or more 3pt'ers 9 times last season. :confusedshrug:

His ball handling needs work. Does have Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Tmac ball handling abilities yet. They are good but they need to be better to suit his athletic ability as he drives to the rim. And also whats married with ball handling can be his physical strength which is needed when he does decide to drive. His game will most likely mirror Dirk but he is more athletic so he wont look like a STIFF out there (like Dirk does dispite his performance). But neither will back you down, have a low post game (I like Durants fadeaway over Dirk 1 hop step crap) until Durant gets stronger.

Like i said I dont expect amazing things like many see as a rookie. We'll see what happens but i think his lack of strength will limit him until he gets stronger. Durant is a scorer and a good shooter but I dont see Ray Allen out there. So maybe Durant shoots shoots and shoots his rookie season like he is Ray Allen (his teammate to be hopefully) :confusedshrug:

We agree he isnt strong and needs to improve his ball handling. By year 3 he will be a lock as a top 10 player and more than likely arguably a top 5 player. Those are my expectations. Oden and Durant by year 3 = will do that.

That's what I've been saying all along. Will be forced to shoot a lot of jumpers and better hope they're falling. He will be very good in the future. End thread.

fatboy11
06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I'll let you take the easy road out. Have no time for guys that pretend to know about stuff they don't.What are you trying to say then, man?

What kind of numbers do you think Durant is going to put up as a rookie?

vert48

I think that is being optimistic, but it would be great to see.

Real Men Wear Green

How did I get busted, Get Buckets? I said he was forced to take threes, Gobb disagreed. Where was I busted?:confusedshrug:
You talked about how the MSU forwards made him play such a bad game when he had 21 points, 9 boards, and 4 blocks. HE was just off from three. You should knock off the nonsense.

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
You talked about how the MSU forwards made him play such a bad game when he had 21 points, 9 boards, and 4 blocks. HE was just off from three. You should knock off the nonsense.

What nonesense. Why did he take 8 threes then? Is he just too stupid to know when he has a clear advantage then? Myabe GM's should be worried about his stupidity more than his athleticism.

vert48
06-07-2007, 03:20 PM
What nonesense. Why did he take 8 threes then? Is he just too stupid to know when he has a clear advantage then? Myabe GM's should be worried about his stupidity more than his athleticism.
That is my concern with the whole 'can't bench 185' thing. If he was too dumb to either get in the weight room for a few months or pass on the lift, then I would be concerned about his decision making ability.

Da KO King
06-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Why is Durant's bench so important yet people ignore the fact that Greg Oden decline to take part?

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM

I mean, I agree with you that everyone's different, but it's still pretty surprising that a guy who's in such great shape wouldn't be able to do it, since you'd think that he would have done other sorts of similar strength-building exercises over the years (push-ups, resistance training etc.) just by virtue of being active. I mean, not being able to do a set I can understand, but one rep?

exactly, it is very weird.

and Gobb, it is easy.

I love how people make excuses for a giant not being able to push a feather off his chest.

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Why is Durant's bench so important yet people ignore the fact that Greg Oden decline to take part?

wrong

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
He avg 11rpg in college. His lack of upper body strength will come into play on the offensive and defensive glass when he tries to rebound.
He's probably not getting 11 boards no matter what, and even that is more about leg strength (and sheer hustle) anyway. Leg power is how you establish post position and how you get up in the air. The upper body strength does matter some but it's a lot less important overall.

LakerRaider
06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I think you are representative of Laker fans that people love to hate. Now quit annoying people.

Wow, then you think too highly of me. I'm flattered. I didn't know that you respect me so much. Thank you.

Real Men Wear Green
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I forgot how determined you are to criticize Durant (and what lousy posts you make anyway). My mistake.

Oden didn't do it because he didn't want to risk re-injuring his wrist. Do you really think he's weak? The guy is obviously powerful. I seriously would not care what Oden's bench is if I was a GM.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
exactly, it is very weird.

and Gobb, it is easy.

I love how people make excuses for a giant not being able to push a feather off his chest.

Make excuses? I couldnt bench press 185 when i first started lifting. Too me awhile. Fatboy cant bench 185.

Thats 2 people. How are we making excuses again? I've played basketball, baseball, soccer, boxed. I was always active in sports. Was unfamiliar with weight lifting. When i tried it i was horrible. Why is Durant exempt at age 19? We dont even know if he ever lifted before. No one lifts before HS generally. So from ages 14-18 we are gonna ASSume Durant did? :confusedshrug:

His own Head Coach said lifting weights was never a top priority or that big of a deal. Durant played 35 college games. August to March. Thats 8 months. The time frame is short. When Durant comes out and says "I've never lifted weights in HS" what are you gonna say? Sorry for shytting on him for not being able to push 185 off his chest once? :confusedshrug:

Sure eventually Durant will HAVE to get stronger and in essence he will be pushing 185 off his chest with ease. And getting stronger will better help him in the NBA to become an elite player. But that aside until he is taught how to lift, until he is on a weight training program...why diss the guy? Again Joe Schmoe isnt coming off the street and pushing off 185 once without ever lifting weights. Unless he is naturally strong and Durant isnt. Not an excuse its called a reality. Wake up.

hippos
06-07-2007, 03:38 PM
What are you trying to say then, man?

What kind of numbers do you think Durant is going to put up as a rookie?

On Seattle, he could put up a lot because Allen is the only scorer on that team.

18-20ppg/4-5rpg/1-2apg.

But say he he took Deng's spot on Chicago. He'd average about 14/6/2.

JtotheIzzo
06-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Make excuses? I couldnt bench press 185 when i first started lifting. Too me awhile. Fatboy cant bench 185.

Thats 2 people. How are we making excuses again? I've played basketball, baseball, soccer, boxed. I was always active in sports. Was unfamiliar with weight lifting. When i tried it i was horrible. Why is Durant exempt at age 19? We dont even know if he ever lifted before. No one lifts before HS generally. So from ages 14-18 we are gonna ASSume Durant did? :confusedshrug:

His own Head Coach said lifting weights was never a top priority or that big of a deal. Durant played 35 college games. August to March. Thats 8 months. The time frame is short. When Durant comes out and says "I've never lifted weights in HS" what are you gonna say? Sorry for shytting on him for not being able to push 185 off his chest once? :confusedshrug:

Sure eventually Durant will HAVE to get stronger and in essence he will be pushing 185 off his chest with ease. And getting stronger will better help him in the NBA to become an elite player. But that aside until he is taught how to lift, until he is on a weight training program...why diss the guy? Again Joe Schmoe isnt coming off the street and pushing off 185 once without ever lifting weights. Unless he is naturally strong and Durant isnt. Not an excuse its called a reality. Wake up.

Wow, ride on the righteous bus with Gobb...

first of all I never said it will drop him below two, I simply said it is amazing, and it is.

the guy is a world class athlete, bench 185 is easy (sorry Gobb and Fatboy you guys must be unathletic) it is pathetic he cant do it once. Yes PATHETIC.

If you guys dont find this a little shocking I guess you have VERY low expectations of your future superstars

GOBB
06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Wow, ride on the righteous bus with Gobb...

first of all I never said it will drop him below two, I simply said it is amazing, and it is.

the guy is a world class athlete, bench 185 is easy (sorry Gobb and Fatboy you guys must be unathletic) it is pathetic he cant do it once. Yes PATHETIC.

If you guys dont find this a little shocking I guess you have VERY low expectations of your future superstars

World class athlete? :roll: Please explain this one. He's a f*cking basketball player.

And this is why i dont bone big bytches. I cant handle all that weight. But you and LOKI can...so have alllllllll the BBW's you want. :lol:

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
World class athlete? :roll: Please explain this one. He's a f*cking basketball player.

And this is why i dont bone big bytches. I cant handle all that weight. But you and LOKI can...so have alllllllll the BBW's you want. :lol:

post of the day.

back to the topic: Durant is still too athletically gifted to fall out of the NBA or ride the pine.

however, he simply will not become a future All Star, as so many people have pointed out, unless he bulks up, which in a year or two, he can get big enough. he does not have a wave of publicity like KG did entering the league.

Day La Ghetto
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
95% of men can lift 185:roll: where did you here that?

For one thing most people don't even lift weight. Maybe 15-20% of the population do and most of them don't lift enough to brag. Second of all when i was in college we had 50 kids in circuit training class and we were all in the 5'10-6'2 range and about 10-15 could lift 185, maybe 5 or 6 did it with out a problem and the other 10 struggled. The other 35 guys couldn't do it. FYI you're opinon on lifting is flawed right there.

And hypothetically if i saw a 6ft guy come into a gym and couldn't lift 185 I wouldn't look down on him on, i'd be suprised if he could lift 185 in fact. Hypothetically that is..

Da KO King
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Oden didn't do it because he didn't want to risk re-injuring his wrist. Do you really think he's weak? The guy is obviously powerful. I seriously would not care what Oden's bench is if I was a GM.
Sorry but I think that's BS.

Dude was medically cleared to play ball in Nov. and has had full range of motion on his wrist since Jan. yet we should ignore his not doing the bench cause he "looks" like he could do it???

Seems a little unfair to criticize Durant for his bench performance and totally ignore Oden's not taking part.

MaxFly
06-07-2007, 04:32 PM

I'm with VC... it's only 4:32 pm on the east coast, but this is already the post of the day.

Anyway, Durant will put on muscle. This is being made into a bigger issue than it needs to be.

vert48
06-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Dude was medically cleared to play ball in Nov. and has had full range of motion on his wrist since Jan. yet we should ignore his not doing the bench cause he "looks" like he could do it???

Seems a little unfair to criticize Durant for his bench performance and totally ignore Oden's not taking part.
If that is actually true, then it proves that Oden is significantly smarter than Durant.

Da KO King
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
So, Mountrose Christian doesn't do weight training, Texas didn't force Durant to do weight training... but Durant should have naturally been able to bench 185 lbs cause he's a high level basketball player?!?

Why is the number of people that find this ridiculous so small?

ppierce34
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Why are people so ****ing in love with the bench press anyway? I'll never understand it, there are a ton of ways to show strength and the bench press seems to be what people love to be enamored with. Weightroom strength doesn't always make you strong on the field or the court.

And no, 185 isn't the average and you couldn't just find college guys walking around that could do it no problem, a lot of them probably couldn't put up 155.

And Loki, is either lying or a freak. That's not normal for any beginner, nevermind a 16-17 year old weighing 180.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Why are people so ****ing in love with the bench press anyway? I'll never understand it, there are a ton of ways to show strength and the bench press seems to be what people love to be enamored with. Weightroom strength doesn't always make you strong on the field or the court.

And no, 185 isn't the average and you couldn't just find college guys walking around that could do it no problem, a lot of them probably couldn't put up 155.

And Loki, is either lying or a freak. That's not normal for any beginner, nevermind a 16-17 year old weighing 180.

LOKI as a toddler...

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/1c/cc/58/35441752.JPG-"Joe dan is da bess. hee heeheee *giggle*"

Day La Ghetto
06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
LOKI sounds rationale most of the time but he spits out some major bs every now and then to question him.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
LOKI sounds rationale most of the time but he spits out some major bs every now and then to question him.

The mofo said 2-3 sets of 10 with 185. :roll:

But ehhhh maybe he is telling the truth. His truth is abnormal. Definately not a mesuring stick with the avg mofo at that age or Durants for that matter to throw 185 off thier chest not ever lifting a single weight (assuming Durant hasnt, wouldnbt be shocked if he didnt touch weights much).

Only person I know who can do that is...

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/ChristopherReevePicture.jpg

http://www.hollywoodstandups.com/images/popeye.jpg

http://www.gavinshearer.com/photos/weblog/2005_08_09_mightymouse.jpg

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Lou-Ferrigno---The-Incredible-Hulk-Photograph-C10052499.jpeg

OneWay
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Shouldn't this kind of make Durant even more impressive?
Dude dominated college basketball like a very few players EVER and yet he is this "weak". Think about it.

hippos
06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Dude dominated college basketball like a very few players EVER and yet he is this "weak". Think about it.

Dominated to a second round exit as well as not leading his team to a reg. or post season conference title?

vert48
06-07-2007, 05:49 PM

But ehhhh maybe he is telling the truth. His truth is abnormal. Definately not a mesuring stick with the avg mofo at that age or Durants for that matter to throw 185 off thier chest not ever lifting a single weight (assuming Durant hasnt, wouldnbt be shocked if he didnt touch weights much).

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Lou-Ferrigno---The-Incredible-Hulk-Photograph-C10052499.jpeg
Gotta admit. This is right up there with the Quad Double Season.

LMFAO
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I remember a couple of years ago there was a big to-do over the bench press results for draftees, since many of them, especially the taller players, weren't able to do more than a few reps at 180 or 200 pounds (I forget what it was). They say arm length is a big factor. It is a big factor. Let the kid slide down as far as you want. He will be a baller and folks will make fun of the teams that past him up.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
LOKI story can be found here...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AXWGRC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:roll:

MaxFly
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM

I've been saying that since this all dropped. It's hilarious that people are overlooking this very fact. Are you telling me that this weakling dominated all of these superior athletes this well, and it's of little consequence?

GOBB
06-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I've been saying that since this all dropped. It's hilarious that people are overlooking this very fact. Are you telling me that this weakling dominated all of these superior athletes this well, and it's of little consequence?

Yeah but even GeeWiz can push 185 off his chest first try and he doesnt even lift weights. 185 is the standard weight to lift.

MaxFly
06-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Gobb, you're a h ater... How are you going to leave underdog out?

http://web.utk.edu/~hunderw1/graphics/underdog.gif

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/magehound/underdog-1.jpg

Especially with a movie coming out soon.

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Underdog%20-%20Poster.jpg

GOBB
06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Michael-Vick-R.article.jpg-"F*ck them dogs!"

Loki
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Maybe I was 185 or 190 at the time, but that's about it. My HS weight fluctuated between 180-190. And I'm not lying. I think if I wanted to lie I could find better tall tales to tell than that I benched a whopping 185 pounds. :oldlol:

Like I said, I've been told that I'm very strong naturally, and I have a very broad frame (shoulders/chest). Don't know what to tell you, really, but I did what I did. People have always asked me if I lift and I never had prior to a short stint this past year.

Loki
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM

:oldlol:

Wow, dudes are acting like 185 is some major stuff, here...

If I was a flapper, I'd talk about how I can curl 65 pounds or bench sets of 300, not how I can do 2-3 sets of 185. I mean, come on.

hippos
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I have to place 70-80 lbs boxes on stack above my head for 8 1/2 hours 4-5 days per week. **** kills you (i don't do it 8 1/2 straight).

GOBB
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM

If I was a flapper, I'd talk about how I can curl 65 pounds or bench sets of 300, not how I can do 2-3 sets of 185. I mean, come on.

2-3 sets of 185 10 times at age 16-17 without EVER lifting. Thats the equivalent of your examples you gave if you were a flapper. You're saying a whopping 185. But 185 isnt even the standard bench weight yet you were able to lift it 10 times 2-3 sets without ever lifting? F*ck technique, f*ck not lifting anything that heavy in life before. But yeah you did it and now the 185 isnt THAT big of a deal so everyone should be able to achieve it at age 16-17 let alone any age especially when you dont lift weights in general. Atleast ACKNOWLEDGE your story isnt something that is done a lot. I'm sure everyone you told that too, and/or who saw/heard about it didnt respond with "Cool". Gurantee it was like wow, how the f*ck did you do that. I mean look at the reples so far in here...not one poster believed you initially...and some dont. And if i post your comment on a bodybuilding.com msgboard I bet the replies would be the same. If i post it at any random board it would be the same. In fact i mentioned your post to a couple friends via IM. Jst a general do you believe this? Nothing where my answer persuaded them to side with me...a non bias approach and they all said hell no. And that maybe you got the weight mixed up. You read it wrong and thought you lifted that much.

I dont have an account on a bodybuilding.com board or I'd make a topic there and see what was said. And how common, easy it is for avg joe's to press 185 off thier chest without having any experience with weight lifting whatsoever. Dont act like your feat is not out of the ordinary not unbelievable. It is.

GOBB
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I have to place 70-80 lbs boxes on stack above my head for 8 1/2 hours 4-5 days per week. **** kills you (i don't do it 8 1/2 straight).

Flunky.

Loki
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
But yeah you did it and now the 185 isnt THAT big of a deal so everyone should be able to achieve it at age 16-17 let alone any age especially when you dont lift weights in general. Atleast ACKNOWLEDGE your story isnt something that is done a lot.

I never said that everyone could do it. I just assumed an elite athlete in great shape could since I did. I honestly had and have no point of reference for what would be considered "impressive" in weight lifting, since I've never been into it at all.

I'm sure everyone you told that too, and/or who saw/heard about it didnt respond with "Cool". Gurantee it was like wow, how the f*ck did you do that.

I actually never told anyone, because I didn't think it was a big deal. My best friend is the only person who knows, since we went to the gym together in the mornings before school for about a month.

You read it wrong and thought you lifted that much.

Possible, but not probable, because in the intervening years every time I'd hear someone mention how much they lift I'd always compare it to that number in my mind. But I guess it's possible that my friend and I counted the weighs up wrong.

And how common, easy it is for avg joe's to press 185 off thier chest without having any experience with weight lifting whatsoever. Dont act like your feat is not out of the ordinary not unbelievable. It is.

I never assumed that an "average joe" could do it. I just felt that a guy who is clearly in great shape and is active should be able to, that's all. Guess I was wrong.

AirGauge23
06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I got an account at BB.com. I'll make a topic if Loki's cool with it.

FireMcFailPlease
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
1 year has passed since you joined and youre still an idiot

Loki
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I got an account at BB.com. I'll make a topic if Loki's cool with it.

If I'm cool with it? :oldlol: What the heck could I possibly care? I shared something that, to the best of my knowledge, is true. No skin off my back. Even if people scoff, it doesn't change what happened. I mean, I never even thought it was that big of a deal until now -- hell, you guys are making me wonder if we counted the weight correctly. :oldlol:

hippos
06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Flunky.

what? Stop responding like some white dude wearing a pink shirt and sporting a faux hawk or whatever you call those horrible hair cuts.

el_locoteee
06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
http://www.tgprinting.com/temp/Duran.jpg

Durant in the test in Orlando.

dawsey6
06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't think he should enter the draft. He was s frosh this year, so think about this possibilty: I was his first year really getting in the weight room. His high school team doesn't really have an emphasis on lifting weights. The more he goes about doing it in college, the more he'll rapidly gain strength in that area. I don't think he should enter the draft. He should stay in college and develop more.

hippos
06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
That's sounds "not smart".

WoGiTaLiA1
06-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Leverage. It is all about leverage. I'm not saying he will have it but knowing how to use your body can overcome a lack of strength.

I'm also not really that shocked he couldn't do it. Most guys built like him cant do that kind of weight. The 215 is because of his height, he would be no heavier than a guy like AI if he was 6'. Durant would be a 150lb guy at a normal height. Find me the average 150lb guy who can bench 185. Add to the fact that his wingspan makes it even harder and its explained.

He does need to work on his strength, but guarding someone and injuries are more about core strength, not the arms. If his core and legs are strong than he wont have any major problems. Plus, how many 4's or 3s for that matter can guard him? He should at the very least be a threat to block shots and intercept passes, ie better than guys like Kobe, Tmac and LeBron are on defense. Hell... KG can guard just about anyone, he isnt any bigger than Durant.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Just read the thread and what Loki says isnt ridiculous. Impressive but not ridiculous.

We had 3 guys in my class in year 10 that were doing similar by the end of the year. Thats at 15. I only did sets of 6 on that kind of weight at years end, which means I built up to it but one guy was doing it from the start.

I can now do what he says fairly easily and I havent done any weights since year 10(2000). So I'm basically just coming in.

That all said, the massive difference is the build. I'm 5'11 and about 220. That makes me a lot bigger than Durant. No way Durant should be expected to do 185. Durant should only be doing reps in the 130-150 range anyway. If he was into weights he would get to a point where he was single repping 185. But I dont see what the shock is with what Durant did. He is skinny, Ethiopian type skinny. Why should he be putting up big bench numbers?

boozehound
06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Durant should be ashamed... But he did grow a little over an inch during the season. So I think maybe it payed off not lifting hard.

Im just excited that he is still growing. Dude is 6"10 with a 7"5 wingspan thats impressive.
this is true. Still, stay in college and finish growing! But the big money beckons, here I come

DatZNasty
06-08-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2096

But Can He Play? Analyzing the NBA Pre-Draft Combine Results

by: Jonathan Givony - President
June 5, 2007
He has a 7-6

Day La Ghetto
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
:roll: Everyone is circling LOKI now doing the Urkel
http://www.thetubevideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/Resized%20urkel.jpg

therealtran
06-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I think Durant will be fine, but he's not going to make a huge explosion his rookie year because he DOES lack a lot of strength that is 100% necessary to have in the nba. He's got the talent, but he's going to take some beatings (Hopefully Amare doesn't poster him) for at least a year, maybe almost 2 before he catches up with strength training and that combined with his high basketball IQ = basketball god.

icewill36
06-08-2007, 03:39 AM
i'd just like to say the thread starter is an idiot and needs to get a life....

kevin durant is about to get alot stronger lifting is fat WALLET and doing push-ups in and out of grade A pvssy.......while the threadstarter sits on this board talking about his bench press trying to make himself feel superior to a future nba all-star and jerking off to net-porn....

Lebron23
06-08-2007, 03:41 AM
He will be a better player than Rashard Lewis, Dirk Nowitski and Tracy Mcgrady in his prime :cheers:

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 04:56 AM
i'd just like to say the thread starter is an idiot and needs to get a life....

kevin durant is about to get alot stronger lifting is fat WALLET and doing push-ups in and out of grade A pvssy.......while the threadstarter sits on this board talking about his bench press trying to make himself feel superior to a future nba all-star and jerking off to net-porn....

oh really?

I am an idiot because I am surprised that a guy who is siuch a good athlete cant lift a simple weight?

Does my surprise make me feel superior?

Not sure really, Durant is going to be the number two pick, rich and was college player of the year as a freshman...so I guess to feel superior than him I would have to be like a dellusional person like you, you know, the kind of guy who writes irrelevant condescending posts about someone online.

STFU you piece of shiiit

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 05:00 AM

you have time to bang women in between your fifty thousand posts?

a man of your internet dedication is the LAST person who should ever comment about his personal life being one that is envied.

Gobb:

http://ambernight.org/Pictures/south_park_wow.jpg

I love it when a self admitted weakling("185 is Haaaaaaard to bench, jeez.") takes his smack talk to the "you bang fat chicks, I bang hot women" level. LOL, your greatest celebrity is the amount of posts you havehere, is that what scores hot chicks for a playa like you?

"Watch me post baybee, see the skills, perfect placement of the emoticon, deft timing on the picture upload. I am THE living legend on ISH woman! you heard of that girl? I own basketball fanatical fifteen year olds all over the globe, international playa baybee! damn beyotch! I rock, bring your fine ass over here and gimme some head. Watch the keyboard beyotch! Damn woman cant you see Imma bout to Pwn some punk kid. Recognize"

then again Gobbles, maybe pointing out someone's lack of strength really hits home with you so you instinctively lash out, as flashbacks to your high school days (Lord knows you didn't go to college) getting picked on by the jocks comes racing back into your head. The kind of memories that turned you into this meanspirited cantankerous internet bully in the first place.

Attila
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
My friend in the 8th grade can bench more.

and1
06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
wtf are 185lbs in kg.... im too lazy to figure out =(

i used to bench 85kg max, thats more than 185lbs right?

Sharas
06-08-2007, 08:05 AM
about 2% of people can lift 185 lbs if they never lifted weights before. lol at people claiming that "95% of normal guys can do it".

LJJ
06-08-2007, 08:18 AM
wtf are 185lbs in kg.... im too lazy to figure out =(

i used to bench 85kg max, thats more than 185lbs right?

85 is about the same as 185 lbs.

Day La Ghetto
06-08-2007, 08:21 AM

a man of your internet dedication is the LAST person who should ever comment about his personal life being one that is envied.

Gobb:

I love it when a self admitted weakling("185 is Haaaaaaard to bench, jeez.") takes his smack talk to the "you bang fat chicks, I bang hot women" level. LOL, your greatest celebrity is the amount of posts you havehere, is that what scores hot chicks for a playa like you?

"Watch me post baybee, see the skills, perfect placement of the emoticon, deft timing on the picture upload. I am THE living legend on ISH woman! you heard of that girl? I own basketball fanatical fifteen year olds all over the globe, international playa baybee! damn beyotch! I rock, bring your fine ass over here and gimme some head. Watch the keyboard beyotch! Damn woman cant you see Imma bout to Pwn some punk kid. Recognize"

then again Gobbles, maybe pointing out someone's lack of strength really hits home with you so you instinctively lash out, as flashbacks to your high school days (Lord knows you didn't go to college) getting picked on by the jocks comes racing back into your head. The kind of memories that turned you into this meanspirited cantankerous internet bully in the first place.
Guy is falling apart,meltdown !
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Wicked_Witch-melting.jpg

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 08:35 AM
What annoys me most is that when Durant is not the world beater as a rookie that many predicted a week ago people will ignore the concerns scouts have over his footwork and balance. Instead they will use it to validate their feelings over his bench press.

apriorist
06-08-2007, 08:41 AM
about 2% of people can lift 185 lbs if they never lifted weights before. lol at people claiming that "95% of normal guys can do it".

Yeah, no kidding. Anyone who says that has obviously never lifted weights before. Bigger people will be able to naturally lift more, but Durant is skinny as hell and tall as hell, so it'll be extra hard for him to lift 185. Dude can probably barely lift 150, even.

apriorist
06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't think he should enter the draft. He was s frosh this year, so think about this possibilty: I was his first year really getting in the weight room. His high school team doesn't really have an emphasis on lifting weights. The more he goes about doing it in college, the more he'll rapidly gain strength in that area. I don't think he should enter the draft. He should stay in college and develop more.

:wtf: Dude is going to be the 2nd pick! KG was skinny as hell when he entered the league. Durant would be stupid to stay at school. He can do weight training while he's in the pros. This ain't football.

ppierce34
06-08-2007, 09:45 AM

If I was a flapper, I'd talk about how I can curl 65 pounds or bench sets of 300, not how I can do 2-3 sets of 185. I mean, come on

Put it in perspective. If you could put up 185 for 2-3 sets of 10 without a problem, that means you could probably max out somewhere around 240-250, for a 180lb 16-17 year old beginner, that's ridiculous.

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 10:44 AM

whatever wig wog

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM

If I was a flapper, I'd talk about how I can curl 65 pounds or bench sets of 300, not how I can do 2-3 sets of 185. I mean, come on
Too bad you didn't tell anyone but your best friend.

3 sets at 185 would make you a top flight NCAA football prospect or the strongest player in the NBA draft.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Damn... Gobb got shut down in this thread. Killed.

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Too bad you didn't tell anyone but your best friend.

3 sets at 185 would make you a top flight NCAA football prospect or the strongest player in the NBA draft.

no it wouldn't.

NFL prospects push 225. 25 plus times. Some guys as much as forty. I thinkBrady Quinn got near thrity this year (and that is at 225 and he's a QB).

Look people, it doesn't mean Durant is less of a player it is just a little shocking. Most college basketball teams do this type of testing in the preseason with their team and I have rarely (if not ever) heard of someone not getting one rep.

Then to hear the most complete player in the draft (I still think he is a better player skill wise and savvy wise than Oden, but Oden will be a better prospect) cant do this relatively simple task is a bit surprising.

The strength it takes to hoist a hundred jumpers in practice should be enough to push 185 ONCE.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I meant high school to NCAA prospect. If I was talking NCAA to NFL I would have said NFL prospect. :confusedshrug:

Also, you continue to ignore the fact that Mountrose Christian doesn't do much if any weight training and Texas' head coach has said publically they did not have Durant on a real weight training regimine.

Lebron23
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.bicolbusinessdirectory.com/isulong-seoph/superman-pictures/superman-hellokity2.jpg

JintotheIzzo thinks he is Superman

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I meant high school to NCAA prospect. If I was talking NCAA to NFL I would have said NFL prospect. :confusedshrug:

Also, you continue to ignore the fact that Mountrose Christian doesn't do much if any weight training and Texas' head coach has said publically they did not have Durant on a real weight training regimine.

yeah yeah, I get that. But he's a big kid (6'10" 215) and a natural athlete, it just seems weird that the best player would be far and away the weakest.

I also think however that Rick Barnes is covering Durant a little bit by saying they never lift. It is really hard to imagine a major division one program not having their players on some kind of weight lifting routine.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not into skinny white chics but she's right. :cheers:

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
http://metropolisplus.com/Superman/Superman06.jpg

http://www.tshirtwatch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/lucy-pinder-superman-shirt.jpg

yeah, and the bottom picture is my girl:rolleyes:

funny thing is, you're such a piece of shiiit troll that by posting this hot woman's photo, you actually made a post that other people can enjoy...congrats...35ppd but we knew you'd eventually get there...pour some Tanduay for Letool23...he finally post something worthy of looking at, even if he did back into it.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah yeah, I get that. But he's a big kid (6'10" 215) and a natural athlete, it just seems weird that the best player would be far and away the weakest.

I also think however that Rick Barnes is covering Durant a little bit by saying they never lift. It is really hard to imagine a major division one program not having their players on some kind of weight lifting routine.
Many teams don't make weight training mandatory for certain players.

The strain between classes, on the court practice, travel, and games is enough that some teams don't feel the need to but more stress on their players bodies by adding mandatory weight lifting.

Especially for a kid you know will be a "one and done" player but has also done alot to attempt to revive your program.

Lebron23
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not into skinny white chics but she's right. :cheers:

http://www.tshirtwatch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/lucy-pinder-superman-shirt.jpg

She is fine to me

10/10

Love that sexy outfit :bowdown: :bowdown:

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.bicolbusinessdirectory.com/isulong-seoph/superman-pictures/superman-hellokity2.jpg

damn Letool23, now you've gone and edited the only good post you ever made, good thing I saved it above^

Does your bakla boyfriend know you are circulating his picture around a message board...he might get mad, no spooning for you tonight...:no:

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Many teams don't make weight training mandatory for certain players.

The strain between classes, on the court practice, travel, and games is enough that some teams don't feel the need to but more stress on their players bodies by adding mandatory weight lifting.

Especially for a kid you know will be a "one and done" player but has also done alot to attempt to revive your program.

true, if he signed late too he might not get into the gym seriously until after the first season, but you gotta think he was working out at least a little between March and now.

Lebron23
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
damn Letool23, now you've gone and edited the only good post you ever made, good thing I saved it above^

Does your bakla boyfriend know you are circulating his picture around a message board...he might get mad, no spooning for you tonight...:no:

I do not want to argue with you anymore so i say lets be good friends in this forum.

By the way i think Kevin Durant must atleasts gain 30 more pounds so that NBA Players would not even abused his defense.

http://img04.21cn.com/2006/08/16/el0608145091155712694550.jpg

By the way he will make Kevin Durant lift those weights if Durant see this chick infront of him.

boozehound
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
85 is about the same as 185 lbs.
85*2.12 (conversion kg->#)=180.2

GothamKnight
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM

this is up there with the quad season imo :oldlol:

and1
06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
oh this is about benching something just once...

i thought you meant something like 30 times in a row, in sets of 10...

JtotheIzzo
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
oh this is about benching something just once...

i thought you meant something like 30 times in a row, in sets of 10...

nope, one time only

185 in bar form, a 6'11" 215 lbs (98Kg) man couldn't get it off his chest once.

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Get real. Look at the man. Look at how easily he got position and how much stronger he was than anyone he faced. He's 280 lbs.and it clearly isn't fat. Do you seriously think there is a chance that he isn't one of the strongest players in the draft? There are certain times when you can "look" at a guy and know that he's strong. Do you think that Oden isn't?
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/apmegasports/200701022131775039785-pf.widec.jpg
And please note the brace around the wrist that he played with last season. Skipping the (unimportant) bench press was just a guy that is almost guaranteed the top pick intelligently not risking further injury.

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
nope, one time only

185 in bar form, a 6'11" 215 lbs (98Kg) man couldn't get it off his chest once.
Yes. He's not a weightlifter. It doesn't matter. Might as well get over it.

Loki
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
this is up there with the quad season imo :oldlol:

Whatever you say dude...:hammerhead:

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Get real. Look at the man. Look at how easily he got position and how much stronger he was than anyone he faced. He's 280 lbs.and it clearly isn't fat. Do you seriously think there is a chance that he isn't one of the strongest players in the draft? There are certain times when you can "look" at a guy and know that he's strong. Do you think that Oden isn't?Oden didn't easily get position on anyone all year. I doubt its due to weakness more to the fact he's a meek person by nature and doesn't establish a wide base.

He also "only" weights 257.

And please note the brace around the wrist that he played with last season. Skipping the (unimportant) bench press was just a guy that is almost guaranteed the top pick intelligently not risking further injury.The brace is irrelevant. The kid was medically clear and has had full range of motion since Jan.

Do I think Oden could have benched 185? Sure. However, am I not willing to join the dogpile bashing Kevin Durant when Greg Oden skipped it entirely.

GOBB
06-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Yes I do. Benching 185 2-3 sets of 10 at age 16-17 without ever lifting in your life is HARDER to do as opposed to getting ass and having a high post count on a messageboard. Thats a FACT.

Gobb:

I'm not white. I'm not overweight nor out of shape. I've always been in great condition because I played sports growing up. Baseball, soccer, basketball...never played organized football but played it around the neighborhood. I was a lifeguard for the city and I loved to swim so i was also on a swim team for this private pool in my neighborhood. I wasnt interested in pursuing it much but the point remains i was always swimming in the summertime. I used to box and trained at 3 gyms. Joe Fraziers, Champs (where Bernard Hopkins used to go daily) and Augies in South Philly where i stayed. Nope not a word class athlete, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson if you think that is what is being implied here. You know usually people like you tend to read what is typed, and to save face exagerrate what was posted. So i figure i save you the time typing out "Wow GOBB was Mr All America. Yet no one here ever saw you online ranked as a top athlete har har har. What else did you do? Let me guess, black belt in Tae Kwon Do har har har".

Majority here know what I look like. So atleast attempt to grab a photo that hasnt been recycled before and used to diss Howard5Dirk41. You think a bit of originality could enter your life someday? :confusedshrug:

1. Where did i admit i was a weakling? I said when i started lifting weights before during my active years playing sports or other recreations I've never lifted before...I found it difficult. At LOKI's age I couldnt throw 185...probably could get it up and it would slam down on my chest. In general anyone who has never lifted weights before in thier life would find lifting 185 difficult because its not a standard weight to bench. Thats another FACT. You see how I type facts and you type FABLES? Hello Aesop. :rolleyes:

Someone here has a username on bodybuilding.com. Ask them to create a topic and say what is the standard weight a person can bench without ever having lifted a weight before in thier life. Then proceed to ask would 185 be too much for someone who never lifted before. I would like for that poster to do that for me. Then post the replies back here so your dumbass can resemble a gigantic ass on a fat bytch.

2. When i posted my reply in here where did i brag about boning hot woman? Let me guess your insecurity levels are going up and down perhaps? My comment was in reference to you acting like MIGHTY MOUSE in here when it comes to bench pressing. Hence why you can have the big woman as you get off pinning thier heavy sets of legs to thier chest while beating up the ***** that resembles a body bag in a boxing gym. Go for it, manhandle the beasts in bed. Do your thing playa, big brawds need love too.

3. What gets me females is my good looks, my charm, my sense of humor, being a gentleman. It is what it is. Got them when i was a "weakling" and i get them now when I'm physically fit.

Damn you owned me there. What can I say to that? That is exactly how I get females. Put it like this...if i sent females in your family, friends my photos and they were asked to post thier thoughts without you flooding thier head with shyt like "Here is some guy on a bball msgboard who calls himself god of basketball. Would you give him the time of day? He swears he is a playa" I gurantee I'd recieve positive compliments from them. But knowing you, you would set it up where you paint this picture of nonsense, throw out negativity then proceed to ask what they thought. For fear of what you know they might say... "He is a handsome guy. He's really cute". Thats exactly what they would say you f*cking idiot. Is that bragging? No thats keeping it real. And again as you usually do...you'll exagerrate this point and pretend that means I'm gonna pipe (that means bone ie have sex) with them all. Because your mind operates that way.

I went to George Washington Carver Eingineering and Science (same school Lynn Greer former Temple Owl/Euros/Milw Bucks and Will Chavis who played for Texas Tech under Bobby Knight). I graduated and went to Temple University. Would you like me to scan my college ID that I still have? I'll take a cam phone photo of it...its blurry and the id could use a cleaning...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/templeuniv.jpg

Lord knows I didnt go to college tho. Well right? Never got picked on...wasnt the most popular nor the geek/nerds. In between, who always flexed his sense of humor when someone tried to clown a person who couldnt defend themselves. Or just having fun at lunch, going home...was always known to say funny shyt.

And no pointing out someones lack of strength doesnt hit home. But for someone to claim a 19yr old kid who cant bench 185 is pathetic when you have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE to if Durant ever lifted a weight before is hilarious. Do you have any info do what Durant was doing in Texas via their weight program? Are you an athletic trainer? Was you there so you can give the board an idea what Durant was or wasnt doing? No.

Then again i guess this is one of those things where casual fans get off, enjoy that they are able to do something that a talented sports figure cant. Here is your chance JtotheIzzo, this is the only time in life you will be able to say "I can do this and Durant cant". Lets check the care factor tho. *checks*

Currently at zero. :roll:

Dizzle-2k7
06-08-2007, 02:24 PM
that chick is off the chain.

and gobb that i.d. looks like its from the 80s.

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Oden didn't easily get position on anyone all year. I doubt its due to weakness more to the fact he's a meek person by nature and doesn't establish a wide base.

He also "only" weights 257.

The brace is irrelevant. The kid was medically clear and has had full range of motion since Jan.

Do I think Oden could have benched 185? Sure. However, am I not willing to join the dogpile bashing Kevin Durant when Greg Oden skipped it entirely.
If the brace was irrelevant then he wouldn't have worn it. That's not a fashion statement. My fault on the weight(though 257 still makes him a big player) but players don't wear things like that for no reason. And he was doing whatever he wanted offensively whenever he got the ball, being stronger than anyone he faced. I guess you saw things differently, but he was doing as he pleased vs. the Gators and in most other games.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
If the brace was irrelevant then he wouldn't have worn it. That's not a fashion statement. My fault on the weight(though 257 still makes him a big player) but players don't wear things like that for no reason. And he was doing whatever he wanted offensively whenever he got the ball, being stronger than anyone he faced. I guess you saw things differently, but he was doing as he pleased vs. the Gators and in most other games.
Might or might not be a fashion statement but could also be a security blanket/good luck charm. Think about it, Rip Hamilton still wears the face mask.

You bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted but its not the point.

Durant also did whatever he wanted yet people are still killing him over the bench numbers. How does that work?

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Might or might not be a fashion statement but could also be a security blanket/good luck charm. Think about it, Rip Hamilton still wears the face mask.

You bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted but its not the point.

Durant also did whatever he wanted yet people are still killing him over the bench numbers. How does that work?
Every single time they discussed that brace they said that it was to be sure he didn't re-injure himself. And the next time Rip Hamilton hurts his nose his career could be over, he has no cartilage there and has undergone three different surgeries on it. He doesn't just wear the thing for fun. Neither of them do.

I bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted because he did, in fact, get good position whenever he was of a mind to. I don't mention it in any kind of connection with Durant, I mention it to point out that he's obviously got more than enough strength for the NBA. Which is the only part of your argument I'm discussing, as I'm not one of the people arguing that Durant's bench press is a problem. He'll need to get stronger to play PF but his strength is fine for a perimeter player.

dgbigballer9329
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Whoa haven't read this in a couple days.......I missed this one

I'm gonna just jump on the bandwagon just because....

You are absolutely lying, and I don't care what your body shape is, unless you're Michael Clarke Duncan in Green Mile. And even still. You can say "it's not that impressive, I'm just naturally built broad" as much as you want, you still didn't do this.

If you're 6'1 180 bench pressing 185 10 times for 2-3 sets, with not a lick of former training.....you are Hercules. No bullsh*t. Because that defies pretty much everyone I've ever seen lifting weights. If you bench 185 10 times, 2-3 sets, that means you could bench press around 270 pounds. At 6'1 180 pounds, just getting on the bench for the first time. That's not rare, that's just not happening.

Getting the form of bench press down takes time for EVERYBODY, universally, that's why people make rapid gains so quickly -- not so much they're getting that much stronger. Herschel Walker, who built himself up to be a diesel, said he could only get up 135 (as he put it "one plate on each side") one time because his right side was stronger than his left side and it threw him off. I've seen firsthand that most HS offensive linemen don't lift close to what you supposedly did in their first go rounds.

dgbigballer9329
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Getting back on track, like someone said before, how many times does a higher bench press # actually make or break a play??? When you're backing down/getting backed down, that's almost all legs. Jump shot?? Maybe, but clearly he's fine in that area. Mixing it up inside for boards? Somewhat, but if he avg. 11 a game in college, he was able to compensate, probably with his huge wingspan.

It will help him absorb contact and help him keep control of the ball against extremely strong/physical defenders who are somehow also able to bother his shot. But there won't be too many in the NBA who can do that anyway.

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Getting back on track, like someone said before, how many times does a higher bench press # actually make or break a play??? When you're backing down/getting backed down, that's almost all legs. Jump shot?? Maybe, but clearly he's fine in that area. Mixing it up inside for boards? Somewhat, but if he avg. 11 a game in college, he was able to compensate, probably with his huge wingspan.
To rebound, quickness off the ground and pure hustle are more important than strength. Looking at the NBA's to 10 rebounders:

Kevin Garnett , MIN
Tyson Chandler , NOK
Dwight Howard , ORL
Carlos Boozer , UTA
Marcus Camby , DEN
Emeka Okafor , CHA
Al Jefferson , BOS
Chris Bosh , TOR
Ben Wallace , CHI
Tim Duncan , SAS

There are four guys that started out their careers as weaker players (Garnett, Chandler, Camby, and Bosh) and of that group only Boozer, Okafor, and Wallace are getting a significant edge from muscle. Maybe Duncan as well (but it's more lower-body muscle than upper in all of their cases and especially Duncan's). Chandler and Bosh are still low on upper-body strength. If Durant can just work himself up to a toned 225 he should be a good rebounder.

hippos
06-08-2007, 04:11 PM
To rebound, quickness off the ground and pure hustle are more important than strength. Looking at the NBA's to 10 rebounders:

Kevin Garnett , MIN
Tyson Chandler , NOK
Dwight Howard , ORL
Carlos Boozer , UTA
Marcus Camby , DEN
Emeka Okafor , CHA
Al Jefferson , BOS
Chris Bosh , TOR
Ben Wallace , CHI
Tim Duncan , SAS

There are four guys that started out their careers as weaker players (Garnett, Chandler, Camby, and Bosh) and of that group only Boozer, Okafor, and Wallace are getting a significant edge from muscle. Maybe Duncan as well (but it's more lower-body muscle than upper in all of their cases and especially Duncan's). Chandler and Bosh are still low on upper-body strength. If Durant can just work himself up to a toned 225 he should be a good rebounder.

Bosh is also 7' with shoes and depending on sources anywhere from 20-40 pounds heavier.

Loki
06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Whoa haven't read this in a couple days.......I missed this one

I'm gonna just jump on the bandwagon just because....

You are absolutely lying, and I don't care what your body shape is, unless you're Michael Clarke Duncan in Green Mile. And even still. You can say "it's not that impressive, I'm just naturally built broad" as much as you want, you still didn't do this.

If you're 6'1 180 bench pressing 185 10 times for 2-3 sets, with not a lick of former training.....you are Hercules. No bullsh*t. Because that defies pretty much everyone I've ever seen lifting weights. If you bench 185 10 times, 2-3 sets, that means you could bench press around 270 pounds. At 6'1 180 pounds, just getting on the bench for the first time. That's not rare, that's just not happening.

Getting the form of bench press down takes time for EVERYBODY, universally, that's why people make rapid gains so quickly -- not so much they're getting that much stronger. Herschel Walker, who built himself up to be a diesel, said he could only get up 135 (as he put it "one plate on each side") one time because his right side was stronger than his left side and it threw him off. I've seen firsthand that most HS offensive linemen don't lift close to what you supposedly did in their first go rounds.

Okay...

Would you be less incredulous if it was 180 pounds for 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps? Like I said, I've never mentioned this to anyone because I never realized it was that big of a deal. I do know that it was no less than 180 pounds and no fewer than 8 reps for 2 or 3 sets, because my friend and I knew that a "set" was 8-12 reps even then. So would, say, 2 sets of 8 reps of 180 be similarly improbable? I'm just curious, because like I said, I had no idea at the time that this was some sort of feat of strength. :oldlol: I know for certain that that's the bare minimum of what I did (2 x 8 reps @ 180), but I'm pretty sure I did 3 sets. Maybe not, though. You guys have started to make me question myself. :hammerhead: When I get home tonight I'm gonna call my best friend and see if he remembers. :D

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Bosh is also 7' with shoes and depending on sources anywhere from 20-40 pounds heavier.
According to nba.com he's 6'10 230. Durant is 6'10 and 215. That's 15 pounds, no inches. Plus Durant has that ridiculous wingspan. I think Bosh might have a more explosive leap, but overall there's no reason why Durant can't equal or surpass Bosh's physique.

JohnnyBravo5
06-08-2007, 04:41 PM
The real point is this. If you are some ham and egger from the And 1 tour and you can't bench 185 then that's understandable.

But if you are Durant who has played years of organized H.S., AAU ball and you attended one of the best athletic universities in the world and you can't bench 185, how is that possible? WTF was the UofT strength coach doing. What were they doing in practice all day, one of those "skip across the court with high knees" exercises?

GOBB
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Bosh is atleast 240. nba.com weight lists NEVER change. By this time next year Bosh will more than likely still be listed at the same weight. When Bosh has played on national tv or the Sixers...its always mentioned he bulked up and is between 240-245.

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
The real point is this. If you are some ham and egger from the And 1 tour and you can't bench 185 then that's understandable.

But if you are Durant who has played years of organized H.S., AAU ball and you attended one of the best athletic universities in the world and you can't bench 185, how is that possible? WTF was the UofT strength coach doing. What were they doing in practice all day, one of those "skip across the court with high knees" exercises?
Playing basketball, for the nth time, is not weight lifting.

hippos
06-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Bosh is atleast 240. nba.com weight lists NEVER change. By this time next year Bosh will more than likely still be listed at the same weight. When Bosh has played on national tv or the Sixers...its always mentioned he bulked up and is between 240-245.

word. nba.com is not the place to go for hard facts. OJ would be proud.

JohnnyBravo5
06-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Playing basketball, for the nth time, is not weight lifting.

I haven't seen it, but I am guessing that even the Magic skills DVD has a part where they tell you to lift some weights. You would think that he'd take it upon himself to lift a weight every now and then.

GOBB
06-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Probably never took weight training serious. He's done it but his core strength needed work and he wasnt taking any supplements to give himself an edge, a boost, more energy.

Until he reveals his method of weight lifting we wont know. Look at his frame, I'm surprised he even weighs over 200lbs. He had to be doing something since someone posted he put on 20-25lbs since arriving at Texas. Probably ate more. We'll have to see what he says when asked or maybe someone at Texas in the weight program leaks a story? :confusedshrug:

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
While I, like many, seriously doubt the validity of your claim I find it more amusing than anything else.

What you are saying you did at 16 years old with no prior weight training of any kind would make you one of the strength players in the NBA Draft. Not just this year but any year. The 30 or so reps you say you did would be one of the highest total in NBA Draft combine history.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I haven't seen it, but I am guessing that even the Magic skills DVD has a part where they tell you to lift some weights. You would think that he'd take it upon himself to lift a weight every now and then.
:wtf:

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Until he reveals his method of weight lifting we wont know. Look at his frame, I'm surprised he even weighs over 200lbs. He had to be doing something since someone posted he put on 20-25lbs since arriving at Texas. Probably ate more. We'll have to see what he says when asked or maybe someone at Texas in the weight program leaks a story?
No need to wait.

Rick Barnes, Texas' head coach, has already publically said weight training was never a focus for Durant at Texas. Also, if anyone cared to look into it rather than dogpile Durant they would have learned that Mountrose Christian doesn't do much, if any, weight training for its varsity basketball team.

hippos
06-08-2007, 05:00 PM
No need to wait.

Rick Barnes, Texas' head coach, has already publically said weight training was never a focus for Durant at Texas. Also, if anyone cared to look into it rather than dogpile Durant they would have learned that Mountrose Christian doesn't do much, if any, weight training for its varsity basketball team.

Durant is still gonna play a certain style of game that is directly related to his frail body. That is what this all comes down to in his rookie season.

Not saying he won't have a good rookie season (have said a million times that will depend on his jumper).

GOBB
06-08-2007, 05:06 PM
No need to wait.

Mountrose who? Sounds like the church in Sister Act with Whoopi. :oldlol:

But its funny how Durant not benching 185 once has generated so much buzz. Like he didnt leave college dominating the game and before the bench had people arguing he could go over Greg Oden. Already a better player right now than Oden. Al Thornton i heard was the workout warrior. Correct me if I'm wrong...but reading his numbers that dude put up some NFL numbers. I wonder if he'll be any good in the NBA. I rather take Jeff Green than him if Sixers have a chance at both. Altho Green played like a straight up bytch his final game in the tourney. Dissapeared

hippos
06-08-2007, 05:15 PM

But its funny how Durant not benching 185 once has generated so much buzz. Like he didnt leave college dominating the game and before the bench had people arguing he could go over Greg Oden. Already a better player right now than Oden. Al Thornton i heard was the workout warrior. Correct me if I'm wrong...but reading his numbers that dude put up some NFL numbers. I wonder if he'll be any good in the NBA. I rather take Jeff Green than him if Sixers have a chance at both. Altho Green played like a straight up bytch his final game in the tourney. Dissapeared

Green has no special skills. At least Thornton can jump.

But I'd still take Green first cause of his head and the possibility he can pick up a few tricks thanks to his maturity.

Da KO King
06-08-2007, 05:17 PM
As common place on this board people been ignoring my posts but I've been trying inform people that Durant's high school coach is not a big believer in lifting for high school kids. If any cared to find out they would see that vast majority of the basketball players to come out of that school are stick figures.

To me the Jeff Green vs Al Thorton debate will be the most interesting part of this draft class.

Green played in the Princeton offense so he has a good understanding of off ball movement, spacing, finding the open guy, and not relying on the dribble to get points. All that said, he's never been "the man" and didn't run many NBA style set plays.

Thorton on the other hand was Mr Do It All for FSU and had the ball in his hands alot. He'll have a good understanding of what NBA coaches expect on offense. However, he doesn't understand spacing, movement, etc. the way Jeff Green does.

Heilige
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes I do. Benching 185 2-3 sets of 10 at age 16-17 without ever lifting in your life is HARDER to do as opposed to getting ass and having a high post count on a messageboard. Thats a FACT.

I'm not white. I'm not overweight nor out of shape. I've always been in great condition because I played sports growing up. Baseball, soccer, basketball...never played organized football but played it around the neighborhood. I was a lifeguard for the city and I loved to swim so i was also on a swim team for this private pool in my neighborhood. I wasnt interested in pursuing it much but the point remains i was always swimming in the summertime. I used to box and trained at 3 gyms. Joe Fraziers, Champs (where Bernard Hopkins used to go daily) and Augies in South Philly where i stayed. Nope not a word class athlete, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson if you think that is what is being implied here. You know usually people like you tend to read what is typed, and to save face exagerrate what was posted. So i figure i save you the time typing out "Wow GOBB was Mr All America. Yet no one here ever saw you online ranked as a top athlete har har har. What else did you do? Let me guess, black belt in Tae Kwon Do har har har".

Majority here know what I look like. So atleast attempt to grab a photo that hasnt been recycled before and used to diss Howard5Dirk41. You think a bit of originality could enter your life someday? :confusedshrug:

1. Where did i admit i was a weakling? I said when i started lifting weights before during my active years playing sports or other recreations I've never lifted before...I found it difficult. At LOKI's age I couldnt throw 185...probably could get it up and it would slam down on my chest. In general anyone who has never lifted weights before in thier life would find lifting 185 difficult because its not a standard weight to bench. Thats another FACT. You see how I type facts and you type FABLES? Hello Aesop. :rolleyes:

Someone here has a username on bodybuilding.com. Ask them to create a topic and say what is the standard weight a person can bench without ever having lifted a weight before in thier life. Then proceed to ask would 185 be too much for someone who never lifted before. I would like for that poster to do that for me. Then post the replies back here so your dumbass can resemble a gigantic ass on a fat bytch.

2. When i posted my reply in here where did i brag about boning hot woman? Let me guess your insecurity levels are going up and down perhaps? My comment was in reference to you acting like MIGHTY MOUSE in here when it comes to bench pressing. Hence why you can have the big woman as you get off pinning thier heavy sets of legs to thier chest while beating up the ***** that resembles a body bag in a boxing gym. Go for it, manhandle the beasts in bed. Do your thing playa, big brawds need love too.

3. What gets me females is my good looks, my charm, my sense of humor, being a gentleman. It is what it is. Got them when i was a "weakling" and i get them now when I'm physically fit.

Damn you owned me there. What can I say to that? That is exactly how I get females. Put it like this...if i sent females in your family, friends my photos and they were asked to post thier thoughts without you flooding thier head with shyt like "Here is some guy on a bball msgboard who calls himself god of basketball. Would you give him the time of day? He swears he is a playa" I gurantee I'd recieve positive compliments from them. But knowing you, you would set it up where you paint this picture of nonsense, throw out negativity then proceed to ask what they thought. For fear of what you know they might say... "He is a handsome guy. He's really cute". Thats exactly what they would say you f*cking idiot. Is that bragging? No thats keeping it real. And again as you usually do...you'll exagerrate this point and pretend that means I'm gonna pipe (that means bone ie have sex) with them all. Because your mind operates that way.

I went to George Washington Carver Eingineering and Science (same school Lynn Greer former Temple Owl/Euros/Milw Bucks and Will Chavis who played for Texas Tech under Bobby Knight). I graduated and went to Temple University. Would you like me to scan my college ID that I still have? I'll take a cam phone photo of it...its blurry and the id could use a cleaning...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/templeuniv.jpg

Lord knows I didnt go to college tho. Well right? Never got picked on...wasnt the most popular nor the geek/nerds. In between, who always flexed his sense of humor when someone tried to clown a person who couldnt defend themselves. Or just having fun at lunch, going home...was always known to say funny shyt.

And no pointing out someones lack of strength doesnt hit home. But for someone to claim a 19yr old kid who cant bench 185 is pathetic when you have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE to if Durant ever lifted a weight before is hilarious. Do you have any info do what Durant was doing in Texas via their weight program? Are you an athletic trainer? Was you there so you can give the board an idea what Durant was or wasnt doing? No.

Then again i guess this is one of those things where casual fans get off, enjoy that they are able to do something that a talented sports figure cant. Here is your chance JtotheIzzo, this is the only time in life you will be able to say "I can do this and Durant cant". Lets check the care factor tho. *checks*

Currently at zero. :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

loot
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
so now we're discussing gobb's looks?

:confusedshrug:

GOBB
06-09-2007, 11:51 AM

The kid had a meltdown. :confusedshrug:

JtotheIzzo
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
The kid had a meltdown. :confusedshrug:

yeah a meltdown,:rolleyes: that is why I typed a five thousand word personal bio/reply and scanned my circa '89 student ID card...no wait, you did that.

GOBB
06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah a meltdown,:rolleyes: that is why I typed a five thousand word personal bio/reply and scanned my circa '89 student ID card...no wait, you did that.

O really? Recap...

World class athlete? Please explain this one. He's a f*cking basketball player.

And this is why i dont bone big bytches. I cant handle all that weight. But you and LOKI can...so have alllllllll the BBW's you want.

Gobb:

:rolleyes:

My reply was to counter and shyt on every silly tall tale you told in your reply. Now that ID is from the late 80's. In 89 I was 11yrs old. But somehow I was enrolled at Temple University. Chalk that blunder on your behalf to "I wasnt being serious" to save whatever face you have left.

HS grad photo...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/lmao2.jpg

What now? Gonna pull the ole "I got GOBB to do this. I turned the tables around on him and he didnt even kno it. Pure gold"? Make up another story Atreu minus the white dog swooping down to save you? The ball has been checked to you...or did you lose it and turn it over again? Tsk Tsk

GOBB
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Kid had a meltdown. :confusedshrug:

JtotheIzzo
06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
O really? Recap...

:rolleyes:

My reply was to counter and shyt on every silly tall tale you told in your reply. Now that ID is from the late 80's. In 89 I was 11yrs old. But somehow I was enrolled at Temple University. Chalk that blunder on your behalf to "I wasnt being serious" to save whatever face you have left.

HS grad photo...

What now? Gonna pull the ole "I got GOBB to do this. I turned the tables around on him and he didnt even kno it. Pure gold"? Make up another story Atreu minus the white dog swooping down to save you? The ball has been checked to you...or did you lose it and turn it over again? Tsk Tsk
oh you got me Gobbly, :rolleyes: another long winded post...yay!

btw, I really like the save face part above in bold, ya pegged me (my ISH rep is so crucial to everything), who keeps bumping this thread btw? Must be one of those fine chicks you are always bonin.

GOBB
06-09-2007, 03:05 PM
oh you got me Gobbly, :rolleyes: another long winded post...yay!

Translation: I'm done eating my foot, time to stick my head up my ass and become a vegan. Mmmm corn.

btw, I really like the save face part above in bold, ya pegged me (my ISH rep is so crucial to everything), who keeps bumping this thread btw? Must be one of those fine chicks you are always bonin.

Helige and Loot have bumped the topics today. I replied to loot because he saw how the topic went from Durant not being able to bench/avg person can bench 185 off the street to JtotheIzzo having a meltdown chaning HIS topic to center around GOBB. I posted my reply that made you snap like a twig. That made the avalanche come rolling down the side of the mountain. Now you're repeating yourself punch drunk. :roll:

Still on the fine chicks huh bruh? Thats what you're down too? Upset you deal with hefty hoes whose beds are snack machines turned on itself with egg carton foam, sheets and pillows? Eh guess no one is impressed you can outbench Kevin Durant seein as tho he would pull better brawds with his weak, pathetic self as Mr stud muffin over there. :rolleyes:

GOBB
06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/down.jpg

http://tvphotogalleries.com/data/578/1fi15.jpg-"JtotheIzzo, JtotheIzzo!"

JtotheIzzo
06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Translation: I'm done eating my foot, time to stick my head up my ass and become a vegan. Mmmm corn.

Helige and Loot have bumped the topics today. I replied to loot because he saw how the topic went from Durant not being able to bench/avg person can bench 185 off the street to JtotheIzzo having a meltdown chaning HIS topic to center around GOBB. I posted my reply that made you snap like a twig. That made the avalanche come rolling down the side of the mountain. Now you're repeating yourself punch drunk. :roll:

Still on the fine chicks huh bruh? Thats what you're down too? Upset you deal with hefty hoes whose beds are snack machines turned on itself with egg carton foam, sheets and pillows? Eh guess no one is impressed you can outbench Kevin Durant seein as tho he would pull better brawds with his weak, pathetic self as Mr stud muffin over there. :rolleyes:

:roll: :roll:

Gobb, youre a clown dude, your shiiiit above is really weak, and far removed from reality...saddest part is youre going to type a bunch more.

Youre like those "O'Doyle Rules!" brothers from the Sandler movies.

I can see you now sitting at your computer typing this drizzle up with a shiiit eating grin thinking how great it is screaming "Gobb Rules!" in appreciation of the 'pwniness' of it all, and again...the saddest part is youll come back with more.

West-Side
06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Bosh was in a similar position, everyone claimed he was too skinny to become a threat in this league...look him at now, Durant can easily get in shape. It is kinda sad that Boykins could bench press 300. lol

JoHnShOeZ1492
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
his BODY isn't NBA ready yett what more isn't there to believe?

JtotheIzzo
06-09-2007, 03:26 PM
HS grad photo...

http://www.espacioblog.com/myfiles/laguarde/carleton_banks.jpg

what did Uncle Phil get you for graduation Gobbles?

GOBB
06-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Gobb, youre a clown dude, your shiiiit above is really weak, and far removed from reality...saddest part is youre going to type a bunch more.

Youre like those "O'Doyle Rules!" brothers from the Sandler movies.

I can see you now sitting at your computer typing this drizzle up with a shiiit eating grin thinking how great it is screaming "Gobb Rules!" in appreciation of the 'pwniness' of it all, and again...the saddest part is youll come back with more.

Once again you are FAR from the truth. Saddest part is this...

World class athlete? Please explain this one. He's a f*cking basketball player.

And this is why i dont bone big bytches. I cant handle all that weight. But you and LOKI can...so have alllllllll the BBW's you want.

...brought you to meltdown. Look at the replies after that. You're ranting over there. One person called you out for it and the rest ignored and stuck to the topic YOU created.

:oldlol: This reply says it all.

DCL
06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
you guys are stupid.

strength training is the easiest element to acquire in basketball.

you can shoot 1000 jumpers a day and still not have a jumpshot. you can dribble with your off-hand for 8 hours a day and still not have ambidextrous handles. you can practice a lot for other things and still never reach an advanced level.

but strength training and muscle building?? this is the easiest sh!t to conquer. unless you have shawn bradley disease, if you put in your work in the workout room and commit to the diet, you will get strong. it is guaranteed, especially if you're a beginner when you are so far away from your strength ceiling.

looking at durant's body, he looks very inexperienced. but once in the nba, he will be put into a program with professional trainers, and i wouldn't be surprised if he added 20lbs between now and his rookie year.

JtotheIzzo
06-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Damn... Gobb got shut down in this thread. Killed.

this reply says it all

Kobe24
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
what did Uncle Phil get you for graduation Gobbles?

My goodnes, how lame was that?

GOBB
06-09-2007, 03:57 PM
My goodnes, how lame was that?

Heilige
06-09-2007, 07:21 PM

telephone
06-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Izzo did you really say durant was a world class athlete? Because he has yet to prove he is even an American class athlete. Let him get his trial in the NBA THEN we can evaluate him.

tweedy bird loc
06-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Youre retarded. Go to the gym, put a 45 and a 25 plate on each side, and I guarentee you cant do it. Most regular guys who dont life couldnt get uo 135 lbs.

Lebron23
06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Youre retarded. Go to the gym, put a 45 and a 25 plate on each side, and I guarentee you cant do it. Most regular guys who dont life couldnt get uo 135 lbs.

Exactly :D Jintotheizzo Just got pwned their.. hahahahahahaahhahaha

Day La Ghetto
06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/down.jpg

http://tvphotogalleries.com/data/578/1fi15.jpg-"JtotheIzzo, JtotheIzzo!"

I still haven't gotten over the fact that Jtoizzo thinks everyone and there mothers can bench 185 from point blank.

GOBB
06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I still haven't gotten over the fact that Jtoizzo thinks everyone and there mothers can bench 185 from point blank.

I know. The kid is retarded. He can bench 185 (and it wasnt from the first try on a bench ever) and is excited I guess. This is the only time he can say he is better than Kevin Durant. :confusedshrug:

GOBB
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Izzo did you really say durant was a world class athlete?

And when I challenged your boy? He has YET to return the answer to how Durant is a world class athlete. In fact thats when he snapped. Went ape shyts because he can bench press fat bytches and I cant. Poor me, I cant get Rosie Odonnel off my chest but JtotheIzzo can.

AirGauge23
06-09-2007, 09:52 PM

I'll do it right now.

Lebron23
06-09-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiegxmUu1M

:cheers:

DCL
06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
durant won't be skinny forever. why are people talking like he's going to have that same skinny ass body forever? anyone remember t-mac's rookie year pics? dude was a friggin' toothpick who looked like he ate two pieces of crackers for dinner a night. same with shawn kemp when he first got into the league (he was 6'10" 215lbs during the dunk contest against dee brown). but their bodies evolved after getting into some intensive weight training programs. by kemp's 3rd season, he was already posting up and dunking on friggin' karl malone. jut too bad kemp kept on eating and eating later in his career.... anyway, anybody who's done it should know that weight and strength gains are the easiest things to improve on if you've never done it before. you just put your time and effort in the weight room and you will see results. that part is pretty much guaranteed... unless you have some extremely lousy and sh.tty genes. but real stuff like skill and basketball iq? some can work on that forever and still never reach a dominant level. right now, durant obviously has the skill part down, which he could still improve on, but that strength part? it's not a worry. why are people tripping on a 19year old frame? he should and will gain weight after some time in the weight room.

hippos
06-09-2007, 10:53 PM
durant won't be skinny forever. why are people talking like he's going to have that same skinny ass body forever? anyone remember t-mac's rookie year pics? dude was a friggin' toothpick who looked like he ate two pieces of crackers for dinner a night. same with shawn kemp when he first got into the league (he was 6'10" 215lbs during the dunk contest against dee brown). but their bodies evolved after getting into some intensive weight training programs. by kemp's 3rd season, he was already posting up and dunking on friggin' karl malone. jut too bad kemp kept on eating and eating later in his career.... anyway, anybody who's done it should know that weight and strength gains are the easiest things to improve on if you've never done it before. you just put your time and effort in the weight room and you will see results. that part is pretty much guaranteed... unless you have some extremely lousy and sh.tty genes. but real stuff like skill and basketball iq? some can work on that forever and still never reach a dominant level. right now, durant obviously has the skill part down, which he could still improve on, but that strength part? it's not a worry. why are people tripping on a 19year old frame? he should and will gain weight after some time in the weight room.

there have been two responses to this.

1. posters like myself who use this as one way to back up our claims that he won't have as good a rookie season as some think. Not really talking **** about the kid, but understand that he is overrated.

2. those who thought he was god are now tripping out. These are the ones that are really freaking out about this.

telephone
06-09-2007, 11:23 PM
And when I challenged your boy? He has YET to return the answer to how Durant is a world class athlete. In fact thats when he snapped. Went ape shyts because he can bench press fat bytches and I cant. Poor me, I cant get Rosie Odonnel off my chest but JtotheIzzo can.

Man if that is how much rosie weighs then she needs to lose some weight. :lol:

Heilige
06-10-2007, 01:00 AM
GOBB OWNED Jtotheizzo!!!

GOBB
06-10-2007, 01:19 AM
The strength it takes to hoist a hundred jumpers in practice should be enough to push 185 ONCE.

:roll: So wait thats all someone has to do? Why lift weights...just buy a spalding basketball, go to a gym, playground and for 2hrs shoot over a hundred jumpers. Heck you can do this 7 days a week unlike bench pressing where you need rest. In 2 weeks you can bench press 185 because you shot a hundred jumpers. Brilliant. Who needs weights? Ballys is going out of business. Everyone invest in basketballs and a court. Just shoot jumpers all day, every day and you'll be able to bench press any weight you want!

Its 1:20am here and that reply sounds like a f*cking info commercial.

Day La Ghetto
06-10-2007, 01:25 AM
:roll: So wait thats all someone has to do? Why lift weights...just buy a spalding basketball, go to a gym, playground and for 2hrs shoot over a hundred jumpers. Heck you can do this 7 days a week unlike bench pressing where you need rest. In 2 weeks you can bench press 185 because you shot a hundred jumpers. Brilliant. Who needs weights? Ballys is going out of business. Everyone invest in basketballs and a court. Just shoot jumpers all day, every day and you'll be able to bench press any weight you want!

Its 1:20am here and that reply sounds like a f*cking info commercial.
Did he really post that? I mosta missed it.

GOBB
06-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Yup he did...check post #132 in this topic. Here is the full post...

no it wouldn't.

NFL prospects push 225. 25 plus times. Some guys as much as forty. I thinkBrady Quinn got near thrity this year (and that is at 225 and he's a QB).

Look people, it doesn't mean Durant is less of a player it is just a little shocking. Most college basketball teams do this type of testing in the preseason with their team and I have rarely (if not ever) heard of someone not getting one rep.

Then to hear the most complete player in the draft (I still think he is a better player skill wise and savvy wise than Oden, but Oden will be a better prospect) cant do this relatively simple task is a bit surprising.

Then he compares Durant who never lifted a weight in HS (as reported by Da KO King) to NFL prospect at the NFL combine???? Are you kidding me?

AirGauge23
06-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Here are some of the responses I got:

incredibly rare. I'd be surprised if a non-lifter could get 100 up.

you would probably seriously hurt yourself. not to mention you wouldn't even want to try to max out if you've never lifted before because your tendons are in worse shape than your muscles and you'll most likely hurt them.

Also factor in the force propriorception and the fact the CNS has never had to relay action potentials and engage as many motor units before in a position you take on the bench press. 185lbs would just plummet straight down to the ribcage and crack it.

135 is a pretty average weight for most men to put up with no training. though i've seen a lot of new years people come in, put 135 on the rack and get it stuck on their chest.

ye, even 135 lbs. is a lot. I would say 25lb plates on each side for a beginner...assuming the average person.

My bet would be around 135

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 01:30 AM
so that was the first time Kevin Durant EVER lifted a weight?

Is that what you're saying?

Something tells me that might not be the case.

I love how ten hours later, GOBB is still here in the same thread going at this impressing teenagers all over the net...classic.

Pretty insane to think that the likely #2 pick in the draft (that is what I meant by world class Telephone, since the draft is global and he is #2 out of everyone) NEVER touched a barbell before the Orlando camp...hmm...

A lot of posters above mentioned that after a short amount of time working out 185 is easy, and it is especially for someone as big as Durant (215lbs)..but oh yeah, Durant never worked out before, that was his first time, college coaches dont do any conditioning, especially at Texas, and I should not be surprised that the 2nd pick inthe draft (a 6'11" 215lbs) forward is by far the weakest player.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Yup he did...check post #132 in this topic. Here is the full post...

Then he compares Durant who never lifted a weight in HS (as reported by Da KO King) to NFL prospect at the NFL combine???? Are you kidding me?

I didn't realize Da KO King went to HS with Kevin Durant

hippos
06-10-2007, 01:36 AM
I still don't understand why people turned this into a debate on whether you can lift 185 lbs.

It doesn't matter because all you have to do is look at Durant to know he's weak.

Excentric
06-10-2007, 01:40 AM
WTF? What is JtotheIzzo smoking? I was a proffesional body builder for 10 years before I got into the marketing bizz and no way can you bench 185 for the first time unless you're a freak of nature. Also, you would get hurt since your body wouldn't be accustomed to supporting that much weight. You compare bodybuilding to shooting jumpers? If I could, I'd spit in your face.

Kobe24
06-10-2007, 01:42 AM
WTF? What is JtotheIzzo smoking? I was a proffesional body builder for 10 years before I got into the marketing bizz and no way can you bench 185 for the first time unless you're a freak of nature. Also, you would get hurt since your body wouldn't be accustomed to supporting that much weight. You compare bodybuilding to shooting jumpers? If I could, I'd spit in your face.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 01:44 AM

OK Mr Ten Year BodyBuilder, how about this:

Was it Durant's first time EVER lifting a weight?

Highly doubt it, infact I guarantee it wasn't.

How long would it take a athletic 6'11" 215 lbs guy, who has been around sports his whole life to get his max bench up to 185?

Not very freaking long.

That is the surprise, that Durant hasn't.

All you falkin ass clowns who think this is the first time Durant has EVER lifted a weight are being silly.

Excentric
06-10-2007, 01:47 AM
OK Mr Ten Year BodyBuilder, how about this:

Was it Durant's first time EVER lifting a weight?

Highly doubt it, infact I guarantee it wasn't.

How long would it take a athletic 6'11" 215 lbs guy, who has been around sports his whole life to get his max bench up to 185?

Not very freaking long.

That is the surprise, that Durant hasn't.

All you falkin ass clowns who think this is the first time Durant has EVER lifted a weight are being silly.

Why would you highly doubt it? He was strong for his age so he probably thought he didn't need to lift before entering the draft. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why you're still posting worthless crap.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Why would you highly doubt it? He was strong for his age so he probably thought he didn't need to lift before entering the draft. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why you're still posting worthless crap.

because he is thin for the next level

because he went to a Div One school and they train weights for basketball. All teams do weight training it is part of the conditioning routine

because he is worth tens of millions and if he doesn't take care of his body, the money becomes much less

what makes you think he never lifted before? That defies all logic.

besides that you never answered my question, because you know, that athletically inclined, big people would get their MAX BENCH to 185 in no time.

Maybe he never lifted before (highly unlikely), its still shocking.

Lebron23
06-10-2007, 01:57 AM
Jintotheizzo got killed in this thread :roll: :roll:

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Jintotheizzo got killed in this thread :roll: :roll:

wow, coming from a known retard like yourself, the opposite is probably true

GOBB
06-10-2007, 02:11 AM
so that was the first time Kevin Durant EVER lifted a weight?

Is that what you're saying?

Until he got to Texas he never lifted a weight. And I dount count BS'ing around in his friends basement while breaking wind then hoping on the joeystick to play video games lifting weights.

Something tells me that might not be the case.

Da Ko King posted info about weight training and the HS Durant attended. You choose not to buy it...I choose too. At my HS weight lifting wasnt a top priority...the players on the team made the call if they wanted to pursue that and how extensive/far they wanted to go with it.

This is basketball not football.

I love how ten hours later, GOBB is still here in the same thread going at this impressing teenagers all over the net...classic.

I didnt bump this topic...others did. Even later on. But feel free to do your classic "GOBB = Heliege....he has to be". Because your success rate at "exposing" posters aliases is about the same as Durants success rate benching 185. Zero.

Pretty insane to think that the likely #2 pick in the draft (that is what I meant by world class Telephone, since the draft is global and he is #2 out of everyone) NEVER touched a barbell before the Orlando camp...hmm...

Of course he did at Texas. He got there in August. August to March which was the end of Texas bball season is 8 months. If you wanna go August until the day he sat on the bench that'll make it what roughly 10 months. During those 10 months who knows what workout regime Durant was under when it came to lifting weights. He added on weight from the time he graduated HS to now. Who knows what weight he started out with benching. t could have been 135....it could have been LESS! He has to get down the technique, breathing first. He has to strengthen his core muscles in order to help aide him bench pressing. Then we gotta figure out how often he lifted weights. Some lift 4 days a week for 1.5-2hrs while changing thier diet increasing protein intake, eating large meals or meals throughout the day WHILE even taking SUPPLEMENTS to help give them a boost in the gym. Thats what gym rats do...people who love lifting/working out and are disciplined in it.

We got people who lift here...I'm sure they can tell you it takes time, effort, dedication and discipline when lifting weights. Why would Durant go psycho lifting weights and injure himself, his muscles when he needs to be healthy for the season to play BASKETBALL. Durant can lift wrong by putting on more weight then he can handle just to prove JtotheIzzo he aint weak and guess what? His back is now injured because of it. Yet he has a game vs Texas A & M tonight at 9:30 on espn. Come on bruh, use the common sense GOD gave you and think things out rationally, logically.

A lot of posters above mentioned that after a short amount of time working out 185 is easy, and it is especially for someone as big as Durant (215lbs)..but oh yeah, Durant never worked out before, that was his first time, college coaches dont do any conditioning, especially at Texas, and I should not be surprised that the 2nd pick inthe draft (a 6'11" 215lbs) forward is by far the weakest player.

Give me the time frame for which Durant should have been able to lift 185. There are so many factors, variables you leave out, dont know that makes you look silly. Durant was physically WEAK the day he entered Durant. It was one of his big knocks that he has to get bigger, stronger. He got bigger because he was around 200lbs at best graduating HS. So Durant strength was behind the 8 ball. You're not gonna easily get to 185 no time soon. I dont care what no poster here says because they were probably stronger than Durant when they started out lifting.

GOBB
06-10-2007, 02:14 AM

Durant increased his weight during the college season. He wasnt 215 when he entered Texas. He added on weight.

Day La Ghetto
06-10-2007, 02:16 AM
JtotheIzzo going to a club, next in line outside to get in

Bouncer" name please"
JtotheIzzo"JtotheIzzo "
Bouncer" not on the list"
JtotheIzzo" But you ain't even lookin at it!"
Bouncer" But i'm looking at you biitch!"

Point is you've got atleast 10 people calling you out and you're running in place.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Until he got to Texas he never lifted a weight. And I dount count BS'ing around in his friends basement while breaking wind then hoping on the joeystick to play video games lifting weights.

Da Ko King posted info about weight training and the HS Durant attended. You choose not to buy it...I choose too. At my HS weight lifting wasnt a top priority...the players on the team made the call if they wanted to pursue that and how extensive/far they wanted to go with it.

This is basketball not football.

I didnt bump this topic...others did. Even later on. But feel free to do your classic "GOBB = Heliege....he has to be". Because your success rate at "exposing" posters aliases is about the same as Durants success rate benching 185. Zero.

Of course he did at Texas. He got there in August. August to March which was the end of Texas bball season is 8 months. If you wanna go August until the day he sat on the bench that'll make it what roughly 10 months. During those 10 months who knows what workout regime Durant was under when it came to lifting weights. He added on weight from the time he graduated HS to now. Who knows what weight he started out with benching. t could have been 135....it could have been LESS! He has to get down the technique, breathing first. He has to strengthen his core muscles in order to help aide him bench pressing. Then we gotta figure out how often he lifted weights. Some lift 4 days a week for 1.5-2hrs while changing thier diet increasing protein intake, eating large meals or meals throughout the day WHILE even taking SUPPLEMENTS to help give them a boost in the gym. Thats what gym rats do...people who love lifting/working out and are disciplined in it.

We got people who lift here...I'm sure they can tell you it takes time, effort, dedication and discipline when lifting weights. Why would Durant go psycho lifting weights and injure himself, his muscles when he needs to be healthy for the season to play BASKETBALL. Durant can lift wrong by putting on more weight then he can handle just to prove JtotheIzzo he aint weak and guess what? His back is now injured because of it. Yet he has a game vs Texas A & M tonight at 9:30 on espn. Come on bruh, use the common sense GOD gave you and think things out rationally, logically.

Give me the time frame for which Durant should have been able to lift 185. There are so many factors, variables you leave out, dont know that makes you look silly. Durant was physically WEAK the day he entered Durant. It was one of his big knocks that he has to get bigger, stronger. He got bigger because he was around 200lbs at best graduating HS. So Durant strength was behind the 8 ball. You're not gonna easily get to 185 no time soon. I dont care what no poster here says because they were probably stronger than Durant when they started out lifting.

I agree with most of that, my surprise stems mainly from the fact that a guy at that level cant do it.

I dont think it is a big deal, I am just surprised. I've never seen it outside of Shaun Livingston (who we all know is a toothpick).

btw I dont think you Heilige

RobertSwift31
You keep saying how he is a 6'11 athlete, and you never mention the 7'5 wingspan, which makes lifting more difficult.

GOBB

Bouncer" name please"
JtotheIzzo"JtotheIzzo "

Point is you've got atleast 10 people calling you out and you're running in place.

Excentric
06-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Bouncer" name please"
JtotheIzzo"JtotheIzzo "

I might have gotten dumber reading that post. I thought it wasn't possible in this thread that another poster out dumbed JtotheIzzo.

whatever clown, go watch some more Fresh Prince

I apologize. JtotheIzzo somehow out dumbed you in less than 5 minutes.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Bouncer" name please"
JtotheIzzo"JtotheIzzo "

whatever clown, go watch some more Fresh Prince

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I might have gotten dumber reading that post. I thought it wasn't possible in this thread that another poster out dumbed JtotheIzzo.

teach me your intellgient ways, and back to my question, perhasp you can enlighten a 'dumb' person:

How long would it take a 6'11" 215lbs athletically inclined 19 year old to get his max bench up to 185, enough to even push it up once.

Tell me please in your ten years of lifting weights infinite wisdom.

Why dont you post that on body builder dot com

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:22 AM
I apologize. JtotheIzzo somehow out dumbed you in less than 5 minutes.

how is that dumb falkwad?

Day La Ghetto
06-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Jtoizzo: "fuak it"

http://www.gearthblog.com/images/jumperi.jpg

Excentric
06-10-2007, 02:24 AM
how is that dumb falkwad?

Because it wasn't funny thus making it dumb.

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Because it wasn't funny thus making it dumb.

you do know how he got his name and how that relates to it dont you, it wasn't meant to be funny

GOBB
06-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Here are some of the responses I got:

Thanks for the replies.

LOKI is either lying, exgerrating or he isnt giving the whole story. I wonder if he was doing push ups, chin ups and other excercises that strenthen muscles. If so its possible he could get 185 up....still dont know about 10 times, 2-3 sets. But once? I'd say it could be a rare feat. He had to be working out his muscles and just didnt disclose that.

Day La Ghetto
06-10-2007, 02:30 AM
you do know how he got his name and how that relates to it dont you, it wasn't meant to be funny

Might as well be my street name. Because this rape just turned into a murder .

GeeWiz: "oh snap"

GOBB
06-10-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm done with this thread. :cheers:

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Might as well be my street name. Because this rape just turned into a murder .

GeeWiz: "oh snap"

you got the name because you are a little wanna be homeboy w-i-gger who got it from a Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode (Samuel De La Ghetto, Will's fake poet).

Day La Ghetto
06-10-2007, 02:43 AM
you got the name because you are a little wanna be homeboy w-i-gger who got it from a Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode (Samuel De La Ghetto, Will's fake poet).

I know where I got my name . Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Heilige
06-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Jtoizzo: "fuak it"

http://www.gearthblog.com/images/jumperi.jpg

JtotheIzzo
06-10-2007, 03:28 AM

yeah, almost as good as this:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9804

Loki
06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

LOKI is either lying, exgerrating or he isnt giving the whole story. I wonder if he was doing push ups, chin ups and other excercises that strenthen muscles. If so its possible he could get 185 up....still dont know about 10 times, 2-3 sets. But once? I'd say it could be a rare feat. He had to be working out his muscles and just didnt disclose that.

I posted in the other thread about this that I was doing 3 sets of 80 push-ups every other day (one wide grip, one shoulder width, and one set pyramid push-ups), 3 sets of 350-450 crunches, and 2 sets of 30-35 pull-ups a few times a week when I was 17 (I was in kickboxing, so this is what we did). So maybe that helped me when I eventually got on the bench.

dgbigballer9329
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
You're making this story up........

You finally say all these workouts you did now after saying before "no prior lifting experience, no manual labor." So now, according to your story, you DID have a lot of prior lifting experience, push-ups and pull-ups are indeed weightlifting. WITH DIFFERENT GRIPS, EVEN!

Secondly, it would STILL have been extremely rare for someone to be able to do 3 sets of 185 in their first time on the bench, 10 times, even with that experience. It universally takes time for your stabilizing muscles to get used to that much weight. Even naturally strong people struggle with the bench their first time, because of it. And if you were indeed 6'1, 180, the upper body you were pushing up on those pushups isn't near the weight you were supposedly throwing up on the bench.

You simply didn't accomplish this feat.

Dizzle-2k7
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
atleast loki is a little more realistic now.

he once said he used to do 1500 pushups and situps a day.

Loki
06-10-2007, 12:24 PM
You're making this story up........

You finally say all these workouts you did now after saying before "no prior lifting experience, no manual labor." So now, according to your story, you DID have a lot of prior lifting experience, push-ups and pull-ups are indeed weightlifting. WITH DIFFERENT GRIPS, EVEN!

Umm, I've never considered push-ups "weight lifting." I figured most in-shape people do push-ups. By "manual labor," i meant things like working construction or moving air conditioners and stuff, which I never did.

You simply didn't accomplish this feat.

Okay.

Loki
06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
atleast loki is a little more realistic now.

he once said he used to do 1500 pushups and situps a day.

Situps maybe, since I used to do 3 sets of 450 at the top end (I'd vary it). Never push-ups. I topped out around sets of 80.

And I'm not sure where you're getting these "quotes" from me from, but whatever. :oldlol:

EDIT: As an aside, I worked up to that sh!t. When I started trying to do push-ups at age 15 and a half or so, I literally couldn't do two of them. I then just focused on doing one more every week, which, over a year and a half or so, got me up to 80 per set. Same thing for crunches, but I was able to do around 70 of those to start and added in increments of 5 per week.

Heilige
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Jtotheizzo.......GOBB owned you!!!

Jtotheizzo: Faulk it!!!

Day La Ghetto
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Jtotheizzo.......GOBB owned you!!!

Jtotheizzo: Faulk it!!!

:rockon:

32MJ32
06-19-2007, 10:01 PM
This thread kinda looks like it has been sidetracked somewhat and I didn't read it in its entirity, so forgive me if this has already been said, but I think the importance of bench press has been exagerrated a fair bit.

Low post positioning and being able to effectively beat defenders and get into the lane comes from leg strength and power through the hips. A strong base is the key. With the new hand checking and anti-wrestling-for-position focus, upper body strength is not greatly important anywhere other than finishing at the rim, and Durant's spring and wingspan should negate any need to bully his way to the hoop. He can simply shoot over and around most guys.

I'd be a lot more worried if he had leg strength issues.

RainierBeachPoet
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
bump--- lets keep this train going

Chalkmaze
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I missed the first 16 pages, so maybe this was mentioned already... but I heard that Michael Jordan didn't lift weights until he got in the NBA, and even then he wasn't into it that much until a few years into the league. I can't verify that, but that's what I remember hearing. He did alright in the league.

blazerfan22
08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I can bench more with my d?ck!