PDA

View Full Version : Pistons 2018 Off Season Moves

dd24
05-12-2018, 05:04 AM
The first one is the most obvious. The Pistons need a head coach. What are you all thinking? Stackhouse is a former Piston who has been interviewing with teams. I kind of like that idea. Budenholzer is another name that is getting thrown out there. I'm suprised Mark Jackson isn't a name we ever hear of with all these vacancies. I think he is a good coach.

For the front office I'd really like to see them bring in Billups. I think that would be the best choice.

There's not much this team can do unless they are somehow able to make a major trade. I don't see teams taking on Griffin's contract. I don't see us getting a fair return for Drummond. If they trade Jackson they would need another starting PG and I don't see them getting on in return. We're kind of stuck with this team. We really need to hope Kennard and Johnson can step their games up. Kennard gets a lot of heat for being picked before Mitchell. I actually think he had a good rookie season considering. SVG was terrible at developing young guys yet Kennard was the first one that showed he had promise. His usage wasn't anywhere near those other top rookies. Otherwise I think he would have had pretty good numbers. I think he'll definitely be starting next season. Hopefully he keeps working. Seems like a solid starter at SG for a long time for us. I kind of wish they just would have went into full tank mode quite a while ago though. There's not a lot to look forward to. Do we really think Johnson is somehow going to get to that next level? Seems like a bust to me. Maybe Ellenson can finally step up. They could just trade everyone for draft picks and tank next season. I'd actually be fine with that. Get out of mediocrity and try to get a few young game changers. I don't see that happening though so our only hope is players get better. Healthy the team would have made the playoffs this season. They would have got crushed, but they would have been there.

dd24
05-16-2018, 01:18 AM
I will say this. It's not as deep of a draft this year so the guys outside of the top 10 would have been hard to choose from. It's not the worst possible season to lose that pick. It still gives Detroit no financial flexibility though.

dd24
05-19-2018, 02:50 AM
I don't know if you all saw this but it would have made things so different..... The Celtics would not be in the ECF right now lol. We should have pulled the trigger. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-celtics-offered-monster-trade-161118609.html

Bimbo Coles
05-23-2018, 11:55 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448675

dd24
05-24-2018, 12:02 AM
They would need to get way more first round picks back. I understand blowing it up, going young, and building through the lottery. I always hated how they would fight to be a late lottery pick. Dumbest thing ever. But you can't fire sale and not get picks.

Bimbo Coles
05-24-2018, 12:54 AM
It'd be a tough ask getting much back on Griffin and Jackson. At this stage, I'd be clearing up minutes for the young guys to play. Take a bit of a bath now on what you get back. Develop your players + build through the draft. The picks will come.

dd24
05-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Reggie sure, but for a team with cap space they should be willing to give up a high first round pick for Blake.

Bimbo Coles
05-24-2018, 01:14 AM
Target?

dd24
05-24-2018, 02:13 AM
A team who misses out on a FA. I don't know that we will see any changes this off season. I think if we see a big trade it will probably happen before the next dead line. The new management will definitely want to put their mark on the roster. But they aren't just going to go into full tank mode. That wouldn't look good to the league or the fans.

dd24
05-31-2018, 12:43 AM
So it sounds like they are going to interview Kenny Smith, Juwan Howard, and are interested in Casey. Really it doesn't matter who they get for the most part. I don't see it changing things. This is a mediocre team.

dd24
06-02-2018, 05:15 AM
Beilein was interviewed today. I find that interesting. I would suck for U of M but he is a really good coach. Bet he would be great with player development. Probably quite the opposite of what we're used to. He is a guy who seems to get a lot from not much, which is a position the Pistons will need to be in for quite a few years in the future now.

dd24
06-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Jason Kidd is interviewing today.

dd24
06-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Keith Langlois: Pistons holding a free-agent minicamp. Most interesting name: Derrick Williams, former No. 2 overall pick out of Arizona

insidehoops
06-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Pistons confirm that Dwane Casey is the team's new head coach:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=21546

They will officially introduce him at a press conference next week

dd24
06-12-2018, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I'm just not super excited with the hire. He did a good job in Toronto. I just hate being stuck in mediocrity.

dd24
06-20-2018, 01:53 AM
What's everyone looking for to happen at the draft Thursday? There's part of me that would like to take a shot at a PG since we really lack depth there. It could be another SG drops there though. They still need another C too. I suppose it doesn't matter much. 2nd round picks are so tough to rely on. It's pretty much all we have to look forward to this post season though lol.

dd24
06-22-2018, 12:55 PM
What does everyone think about the draft? I actually like Thomas. Have no idea on Brown. I think he'll be in the G-league all season. What is odd to me is we gave up 2 second round pics to get one. Not a smart idea for a team that has 0 cap flexibility. In a league where you need those cheap players to give them away so easily is kinda crazy. The other thing to consider is if we give one of those up in say 2021, that could be when high schoolers first get allowed in the draft again and it could be an extremely deep draft. That 2nd rounder turns into nearly a 1st round pick with far less money attached to them. I think it's kinda weird that we took two more SG's too. We just drafted Kennard and he seems like he's going to be the starter there for quite a while. They also have Bullock (they said they will resign him) who can play there and Galloway. It's the most overloaded position they have. They should have looked at C, PF, or PG it seems like.

dd24
06-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Also, what are your thoughts on that Blake Griffin trade now? Could have had Porter with our draft pick. I would have rather took that gamble and kept Tobias. Seems like a better young core. It's not like the Pistons are competing for a championship yet. May as well have a bunch of young assets that can help us get there.

dd24
06-22-2018, 07:38 PM
I think this about sums it up:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/06/21/detroit-pistons-fans-mad-what-could-have-been-nba-draft/724077002/

dd24
06-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Good article on SF's.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/06/28/detroit-pistons-nba-free-agency-small-forward/744040002/

Probably the biggest hole we have in the lineup. I doubt they could afford him but I would go after Beasley. He could immediately start at SF and provide some much needed scoring. I also liked the idea of Williams at the FA camp. Ennis seems to be the guy they plan to resign. Saw that in the rumors today.

dd24
07-01-2018, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE]Shams Charania: Sources: Robinson will sign a two-year, $8.3M deal with the Pistons, including team option. Robinson has financial security and Detroit gets talented wing.

dd24
07-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Bummer we won't be seeing Kennard in summer league. There's not a lot to look forward to this year.

dd24
07-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Ellenson has had a pretty bad summer league. Being that it's his 3rd go at this he should be dominating out there. Last summer he did. He's unfortunately starting to look like a bust.

dd24
09-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Apparently the Pistons have talked about trading for Jimmy Butler. That would be very interesting. I wonder what they would have to give up.

So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia and Portland are among the teams interested in probing for deals.

boozehound
10-04-2018, 12:44 AM
probably too much. big salary to match so its likely jackson (do they want?) or maybe something like a first, a decent young like kennard and maybe leur and filler to match salaries? Sounds like offers are low, so maybe they should shake the tree

dd24
10-04-2018, 01:55 AM
probably too much. big salary to match so its likely jackson (do they want?) or maybe something like a first, a decent young like kennard and maybe leur and filler to match salaries? Sounds like offers are low, so maybe they should shake the tree
Yeah, it's definitely worth looking into. Butler, Griffin, Drummond would be a very good big 3 in the East. They still wouldn't be favored over Boston but they would be right up there with the top seeds and at least have a decent chance.

TheSilentKiller
10-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Such an up and down opening night ...

Positives:
1 - Blake gelled with the offense much better than last year. His penetration led to 3-4 open looks down low to Drummond
2 - Kennard confidence to shoot looks up from last year.
3 - ZaZa is a nice backup piece, even tho at times his lack of speed can be difficult on the defensive end
4 - team seems to be having fun, big part imo has to due with Casey's demeanor
5 - Bruce Brown plays really damn hard

Negatives:
1 - Drummond got roasted on defense multiple times
2 - Every team goes through slumps during a game, Pistons slumps always seem to be rife with as bad of play as you can get
3 - Reggie had a really bad game shot selection wise

It's nice to start the season w/ a win and it's nice to see parts of the game filled with a legitimate offensive gameplan. Still remains a lot of work to do, but getting Bullock back for spacing and shooting will help.

insidehoops
10-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Good thread. Will keep eye on it

dd24
10-20-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm not super excited for this season for the Pistons. Sure they have a shot to make the playoffs. I just don't like the direction they took. Mediocrity makes me so upset. Be really good or really bad trying to. Don't just settle.

TheSilentKiller
10-24-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm not super excited for this season for the Pistons. Sure they have a shot to make the playoffs. I just don't like the direction they took. Mediocrity makes me so upset. Be really good or really bad trying to. Don't just settle.
i think mediocre is selling them the slightest bit short. They aren't contending, there is a clear gap between the top two teams in the East and them, but I feel like they are going to compete with everyone else in the 3-8 range. Dwayne Casey is already a much needed presence in late game situations.

dd24
10-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Blake can't save them and put up 50 every night lol. At least Cleveland and Chicago will be bad. It puts us in the top 3 of the division. I still find that overall to be mediocre. If they could pull off a trade and get another major player that would be huge. I just think we really need help at PG. Reggie will have to play lights out for this team to be good and I just don't see him as some kind of budding superstar. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Boston at the end of the month.

TheSilentKiller
10-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Blake can't save them and put up 50 every night lol. At least Cleveland and Chicago will be bad. It puts us in the top 3 of the division. I still find that overall to be mediocre. If they could pull off a trade and get another major player that would be huge. I just think we really need help at PG. Reggie will have to play lights out for this team to be good and I just don't see him as some kind of budding superstar. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Boston at the end of the month.
This is certainly a glaring issue, that has been hidden by Ish playing out of his mind. Reggie is certainly not the long term answer in any sense of the word.

Another glaring issue is the development of young talent. Going back 6 years, Drummond is the only true impactful player that we've drafted. If you can't get contribution from your young players in Kennard, Stanely, and Brown / Thomas, then the future gets super bleak super fast. Especially with Blakes contract.

dd24
10-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Absolutely agree. Kennard was the one I had hope that might develop into something. Next thing we know he has a sling on. Luckily it's just a couple weeks, but a shoulder can definitely linger and cause issues with your shot. Stanley Johnson has shown us nothing. He's a bust. At least on everything but defense. I don't expect much from the guys they drafted this past summer. I doubt they'll even make the rotation. Ellenson we had hope for. That obviously is going nowhere.

Couple that with the fact that we have a starting back court of Reggie Bullock and Reggie Jackson and I just can't get excited about this team even when we are off to our best start in a decade. We do have one of the best front courts in the NBA. There's just 3 other positions we need major help on lol. And I see no way of making an upgrade at them.