PDA

View Full Version : Do you suffer through nerve pain?

bladefd
12-27-2018, 10:48 PM
I have been getting severe nerve pain in my left foot for a few weeks - feels like getting stabbed by knife over and over again. I couldn't sleep or stay awake - couldn't even read a book at night, bunch of times got tears in my eyes when it got real bad. This is the sort of pain I don't wish on my worst enemies.

Anyways, I went to my doctor once it started. He thinks I have nerve damage and put me on gabapentin. 2 weeks in, and it seems to help a bit. Pain still kicks in often at night, but I deal with it. I sometimes take Advil or Tylenol. I will ask my doctor to raise dosage to 900mg/day of gabapentin. It is frustrating, but I am sure it will get better.

How about you? What do you do for nerve pain? (if you get nerve pain)

highwhey
12-27-2018, 10:54 PM
yes, people who say Ayton can

ILLsmak
12-27-2018, 10:59 PM
I got chronic pain myson. Aspirin is the most op for pain other than like hydrocodone.i used to take one Tylenol n two aspirin every morning then at night too. I just started back on one Tylenol one aspirin a day and it makes a huge difference. Gotta keep inflammation down

Amitriptyline is also good. Helps u sleep too. I take a small dose (half pill) at night. Legit tho u can work thru it. I had shoulder pain, elbow pain, wrist pain finger pain, both sides but esp left. Also my left leg, neck. Maybe my spine is ****ed. Too much over training haha. Starting the spring balls 2 da wall. Anyway, rest, anti inflam, get some blood work cuz tons of shit can cause that. U mite have diabetes or something. But I've still got pain in various places but in general it's way better. Like not I rested and it comes back but it's actually better. Do stretches, lift lighter weights, do weight lifting movements w out weighs. If you got a trapped nerve or something is pushing on it, you owe yourself a good year of really focusing on getting it under control before you go down the super med or surgery route.

Get on Google and find some exercises or try to get into pt. I haven't done pt but I may at some point.

-Smak

egokiller
12-27-2018, 11:11 PM
I have been getting severe nerve pain in my left foot for a few weeks - feels like getting stabbed by knife over and over again. I couldn't sleep or stay awake - couldn't even read a book at night, bunch of times got tears in my eyes when it got real bad. This is the sort of pain I don't wish on my worst enemies.

Anyways, I went to my doctor once it started. He thinks I have nerve damage and put me on gabapentin. 2 weeks in, and it seems to help a bit. Pain still kicks in often at night, but I deal with it. I sometimes take Advil or Tylenol. I will ask my doctor to raise dosage to 900mg/day of gabapentin. It is frustrating, but I am sure it will get better.

Did he rule out Plantar fasciitis?

oh the horror
12-28-2018, 02:11 AM
Give timeric a try. You can buy supplement pills at most vitamin shops. It works wonders for inflammation.

Be sure to ask them about turmeric with pepper extract as the pepper helps activate the effects of the turmeric. I

Cleverness
12-28-2018, 03:09 AM
Are you on your feet all day? What's causing it?

insidehoops
12-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Good general health tips that may help with SOME physical nerve-related stuff:

Quit coffee
Quit all sodas, including diet soda
Quit candy/junk-food
Take in way less sugar. Be aware of different kinds of sugar, but also be aware that even healthy drinks like juice/smoothies/etc have a LOT of sugar. It's good natural sugar but it's still sugar. Everybody's MAIN drink should be water.

bladefd
12-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Did he rule out Plantar fasciitis?

Plantar fascistic is in heel or bottom of foot.

I realize I didn't get into detail. My pain is in sural nerve - the nerve is damaged due to years of incorrect foot placement while sleeping I believe. It has essentially deformed my left foot permanently, and now it's fu<king with my nerve. That's what the cause is.

I don't want to go through surgery - very costly and no guarantee it would even help. Doctor said it could make things worse.

I'm doing physical therapy (just went today) and on gabapentin, which is for nerve pain control. There are other meds out there that people take for nerve pain, but idk. I wear a nighttime brace too now to keep my foot straight rather than crooked, but the damage is already done..

Give timeric a try. You can buy supplement pills at most vitamin shops. It works wonders for inflammation.

Be sure to ask them about turmeric with pepper extract as the pepper helps activate the effects of the turmeric. I’ve had issues with my hands and the timeric helped, a LOT.

As you get older you have to research alternative solutions because these doctors will just give pills.

I applied turmeric for muscle sprains in the past, and it helped. I'm not sure if it would help with nerve pain :confusedshrug:

ILLsmak
12-28-2018, 08:23 PM

Quit coffee
Quit all sodas, including diet soda
Quit candy/junk-food
Take in way less sugar. Be aware of different kinds of sugar, but also be aware that even healthy drinks like juice/smoothies/etc have a LOT of sugar. It's good natural sugar but it's still sugar. Everybody's MAIN drink should be water.

All Tru cept coffee. Coffee is good. Life is better with it. Scientific testing.

Don't drink bad coffee or too much but coffee is superb. Tea is good too tho. It's not a sub for coffee.

Make coffee w purified/bottled water. Drip that shit thru a cone, grind n pour over. How can u say it's bad. It's not bad

French press Kids eat shit u oily bastards.

-Smak

fiddy
12-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Nope, but i know it sucks. Dont get hooked on the pills, OP. Do B vitamines help? I know they work for nerve related stuff

Jasper
12-30-2018, 11:07 AM
feet are a dangerous thing to play around with // good to see you are involed in a doctor.
Insidehoops has a good point ,
But as I have plantar factitious I was very close to having surgery.
It does not cure it.
My point is any operation with feet , puts you in a position to have a numb foot the rest of your life.
I know a guy that had ankle surgery and screwed up his mobility.
Sometimes his foot gets 'caught' under him , so he purposely has to be conscious of every foot fall.

Nerve correction surgery would IMO mean a numb foot ... maybe be better than pain , or addiction to med's.

Loco 50
12-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Plantar fascistic is in heel or bottom of foot.

I realize I didn't get into detail. My pain is in sural nerve - the nerve is damaged due to years of incorrect foot placement while sleeping I believe. It has essentially deformed my left foot permanently, and now it's fu<king with my nerve. That's what the cause is.

I don't want to go through surgery - very costly and no guarantee it would even help. Doctor said it could make things worse.

I'm doing physical therapy (just went today) and on gabapentin, which is for nerve pain control. There are other meds out there that people take for nerve pain, but idk. I wear a nighttime brace too now to keep my foot straight rather than crooked, but the damage is already done..

I applied turmeric for muscle sprains in the past, and it helped. I'm not sure if it would help with nerve pain :confusedshrug:
At the risk of sounding corny, don't lose hope. Nerves can and do grow back and repair themselves, it's just a really slow process.

Do the PT. I'd look into a beginner's yoga program that will not only rehabilitate your foot, but help to increase your tolerance for discomfort and pain. The yoga will help release endorphins (natural pain killers) that will alleviate pain and lift your mood.

The shittier you feel moodwise, the worse the pain will be, which will cause you to dwell on it and create a vicious cycle. Yoga can help a lot.

As far as meds, unfortunately as you've found out, they're extremely limited here. You're not on the max dose of gabapentin though, so you could continue to go up IF, and I stress if you think it's working.

You haven't mentioned narcotics, but others have so I will say this. Any doc that prescribes narcotics for neuropathic pain is a F'N BAD doc. It's currently doubtful that they work better than NSAIDs for any pain, but it is known that they don't work for nerve pain. The only reason some people will swear by them is because they get you high, which as a side effect can dull pain. That high is not sustainable though, and when the pain breaks through. Now you're in a new type of pain/addiction hell that too many have fallen into.

Good luck, I know it's a shitty hand but there can and will be improvement with time.

Edit: I am curious what position you were sleeping in that would cause this sort of damage? Was it comfortable at the time? Could you describe that a little for me?

bladefd
12-30-2018, 10:28 PM
At the risk of sounding corny, don't lose hope. Nerves can and do grow back and repair themselves, it's just a really slow process.

Do the PT. I'd look into a beginner's yoga program that will not only rehabilitate your foot, but help to increase your tolerance for discomfort and pain. The yoga will help release endorphins (natural pain killers) that will alleviate pain and lift your mood.

The shittier you feel moodwise, the worse the pain will be, which will cause you to dwell on it and create a vicious cycle. Yoga can help a lot.

As far as meds, unfortunately as you've found out, they're extremely limited here. You're not on the max dose of gabapentin though, so you could continue to go up IF, and I stress if you think it's working.

You haven't mentioned narcotics, but others have so I will say this. Any doc that prescribes narcotics for neuropathic pain is a F'N BAD doc. It's currently doubtful that they work better than NSAIDs for any pain, but it is known that they don't work for nerve pain. The only reason some people will swear by them is because they get you high, which as a side effect can dull pain. That high is not sustainable though, and when the pain breaks through. Now you're in a new type of pain/addiction hell that too many have fallen into.

Good luck, I know it's a shitty hand but there can and will be improvement with time.

Edit: I am curious what position you were sleeping in that would cause this sort of damage? Was it comfortable at the time? Could you describe that a little for me?

I think gabapentin is working after a week of going up to 600mg/day.. I can finally sleep at least after 2 weeks of hell when I was sleeping ~4hrs/night only after taking advil or tylenol. I don't feel the stabbing pain, just tingling and springy feeling. Much more tolerable now. I will see for a week - maybe 900mg/day would eliminate that tingling too. We will see. I read that it takes 3-6 weeks for gabapentin to reach full effect as your body gets used to it. I'm just 8 days in at 600mg/day.

I don't think gabapentin is a narcotic either so I don't have to worry about addiction or getting high. I don't feel high at all.

As for my foot, I was sleeping with it a bit tilted to the right and bit flat at maybe 120 degrees instead of at 90 degrees (if that makes sense). I also used to sit in my teenage years with my left foot hanging bit crooked on office chair. I sat like that since I was a 12yr kid. 16 years of that I think made my foot crooked, almost a bit bent from the center. Even the PT said my foot is crooked

Akrazotile
12-30-2018, 10:32 PM
I think gabapentin is working after a week of going up to 600mg/day.. I can finally sleep at least. I don't feel the stabbing pain, just tingling and springy feeling. Much more tolerable now. I will see for a week - maybe 900mg/day would eliminate that tingling too. We will see. I read that it takes 3-6 weeks for gabapentin to reach full effect as your body gets used to it. I'm just 8 days in at 600mg/day.

I don't think gabapentin is a narcotic either so I don't have to worry about addiction or getting high. I don't feel high at all.

As for my foot, I was sleeping with it a bit tilted to the right and bit flat at maybe 120 degrees instead of at 90 degrees (if that makes sense). I also used to sit in my teenage years with my left foot hanging bit crooked on office chair. I sat like that since I was a 12yr kid. 16 years of that I think made my foot crooked, almost a bit bent from the center. Even the PT said my foot is crooked

Like on some Little Foot Long Foot type shit from Chappelle Show?

Loco 50
12-30-2018, 10:43 PM
I think gabapentin is working after a week of going up to 600mg/day.. I can finally sleep at least after 2 weeks of hell when I was sleeping ~4hrs/night only after taking advil or tylenol. I don't feel the stabbing pain, just tingling and springy feeling. Much more tolerable now. I will see for a week - maybe 900mg/day would eliminate that tingling too. We will see. I read that it takes 3-6 weeks for gabapentin to reach full effect as your body gets used to it. I'm just 8 days in at 600mg/day.

Glad to hear it's working. Nah, Gabapentin is not a narcotic, didn't mean to give that impression at all. No dangers of addiction.

Stick with the PT. Your problem doesn't sound in any way like it would be permanent with the proper therapy.

Smoke117
01-01-2019, 03:39 AM
My alcoholism started from nerve pain about 11 years ago. I had this issue with my back. I'd get these electric shocls that would put me to my knees and then just get this pain like a sunburn throughout the day but 100x worse. I couldn't even lay on my back for awhile. I started drinking to numb the pain and my mind. The issue eventually went away...the drinking didn't. D:!

Also, feet...*smirk* GTFO...you don't know anything about nerve pain until it's in your back, neck or thighs. Feet, Jesus fukking christ.

SomeBlackDude
01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
My alcoholism started from nerve pain about 11 years ago. I had this issue with my back. I'd get these electric shocls that would put me to my knees and then just get this pain like a sunburn throughout the day but 100x worse. I couldn't even lay on my back for awhile. I started drinking to numb the pain and my mind. The issue eventually went away...the drinking didn't. D:!

Also, feet...*smirk* GTFO...you don't know anything about nerve pain until it's in your back, neck or thighs. Feet, Jesus fukking christ.

wow, that sounds like torture :(

how did the problem end up getting fixed (nerve issue)?

been experiencing nagging lower back pain for a while. got an mri, found nothing. went to a chiropractor, got some treatments/readjustments which helped for a while. but it's temporary.

anyone tried acupuncture? thinking about doing that next. maybe try starting a yoga routine.

Patrick Chewing
01-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Quit coffee

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7btT1T9qpQZWhNlK/giphy.gif

Akrazotile
01-01-2019, 01:01 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7btT1T9qpQZWhNlK/giphy.gif

Coffee is fine if you're in a state of good health. If you're having any issues with blood sugar it can really exacerbate some problems. Anyone who is making significant changes to their diet, I would leave out the coffee at first while your body adjusts. Changing your diet will initially destabilize your immune system, glucose levels, etc. Caffeine will make things more difficult during that period from my experience.

Once you're over the hump and into a healthy routine, bring coffee back into the mix if it's something you enjoy.

*The preceding was based on the personal opinions and experiences of Akrazotile and not intended to diagnosis or treat any medical condition. Akrazotile is not a doctor. If you are experiencing symptoms of illness seek professional medical care.

Bosnian Sajo
01-01-2019, 02:15 PM
I have this weird tingling feeling that goes down my left arm occasionally. I thankfully havent felt it in a while, but there was a point when it would happen like 3-4 times a day. Only thing I could think of was that it was a nerve, but it wasn't nearly as painful as you describe so it probably wasnt as serious.

I do deal with pain, though. I get horrible migraines, its something that has been in my family for at least 4 generations. My mom gets really bad migraines, her mom had them, and her mother's mother as well. It gets so bad to the point that I literally can't do anything else until the pain subsidizes, and the pain lasts anywhere from an hour to ALL DAY.

These days, I work full time so keeping a constant routine really helps with my general health. Mon-Fri I rarely get headaches, but it seems like every Saturday since I started my job I'd get these bad migraines that start around 12pm, 1pmish and last all day until 10pm; effectively ruining my weekend.

I'm sorry you're going through this. People who experience pain, whether its from nerve damage or migraines know just how miserable it can get...really hope you find a way to deal with it without taking pills.

Patrick Chewing
01-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Lack of proper sleep is a thing that's plaguing this country, and is one of the underlying reasons many of us have these adverse conditions.

Norcaliblunt
01-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Gotta figure out what you are doing to yourself to cause the damage and stop it.

bladefd
01-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Well yeah, some nerves hurt more. Especially in areas where multiple nerves meet, such as the back. Sciatic nerve is the major nerve in the leg that runs from waist to foot - thank goodness that's not hurting. I don't know how long sural nerve is, but it's not one of the main nerves. Ultimately, it was fairly severe pain - I don't know what else to tell you.. Not quite as bad as when I broke my hip in compound fracture some years ago and I was screaming, but c'mon, it's not a game. I feel for those dealing with even worse pains.

Loco 50
01-01-2019, 06:45 PM

This statement makes me think you'd like to stop drinking. Is my thinking correct?

Loco 50
01-01-2019, 06:47 PM
It's not going to make anyone feel any better to mitigate someone else's pain, so no point in taking that approach.

MrFonzworth
01-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Thought this was gonna be a "you may be entitled to a lawsuit" thread.

oh the horror
01-01-2019, 08:55 PM
wow, that sounds like torture :(

how did the problem end up getting fixed (nerve issue)?

been experiencing nagging lower back pain for a while. got an mri, found nothing. went to a chiropractor, got some treatments/readjustments which helped for a while. but it's temporary.

anyone tried acupuncture? thinking about doing that next. maybe try starting a yoga routine.

I've tried both acupuncture and yoga and let me tell you I can't sing enough praises. Itll take a few sessions but give it a shot. Yoga will make you feel better after a mere couple of classes.

AlternativeAcc.
01-01-2019, 08:59 PM
This statement makes me think you'd like to stop drinking. Is my thinking correct?
:biggums:

Smoke would give his liver to stop drinking

it's robbed him of his work life, social life, family life, and any other aspect of life you can think of

I can relate as someone that's withdrawn themselves for periods of time due to drug dependency

only in my case I was a celebrity in my hometown and the constant socializing forced me to create an escape plan, just turned out that plan was to take opiates and not answer anyones messages for months on end :lol

not a strategy i recommend though

ZenMaster
01-02-2019, 05:05 PM
I got chronic pain myson. Aspirin is the most op for pain other than like hydrocodone.i used to take one Tylenol n two aspirin every morning then at night too. I just started back on one Tylenol one aspirin a day and it makes a huge difference. Gotta keep inflammation down

Amitriptyline is also good. Helps u sleep too. I take a small dose (half pill) at night. Legit tho u can work thru it. I had shoulder pain, elbow pain, wrist pain finger pain, both sides but esp left. Also my left leg, neck. Maybe my spine is ****ed. Too much over training haha. Starting the spring balls 2 da wall. Anyway, rest, anti inflam, get some blood work cuz tons of shit can cause that. U mite have diabetes or something. But I've still got pain in various places but in general it's way better. Like not I rested and it comes back but it's actually better. Do stretches, lift lighter weights, do weight lifting movements w out weighs. If you got a trapped nerve or something is pushing on it, you owe yourself a good year of really focusing on getting it under control before you go down the super med or surgery route.

Get on Google and find some exercises or try to get into pt. I haven't done pt but I may at some point.

-Smak

I see insidehoops official has already written a bit about it, but have you looked into or considered a keto diet for the inflamation? I can personally recommend it.

Been suffering myself last few days with pain in my gums because of a wisdom tooth, been leading to quite a bit of neck and back pain as well. Finally got a deep tissue massage today and pain killers at the dentist - which are working quite nicely. But damn do I hate that consistent tooth pain, it really screws up my mind.

Rocket
01-04-2019, 02:38 PM

I also take Gabpentin daily for nerve pain due to having two ruptured disc. It does help somewhat. I have had two back surgeries to repair the disc but still live with daily sciatic nerve pain. It sucks but I have learned to accept it.

SomeBlackDude
01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
I've tried both acupuncture and yoga and let me tell you I can't sing enough praises. Itll take a few sessions but give it a shot. Yoga will make you feel better after a mere couple of classes.

started a new yoga/stretching regimen. working like a charm so far. gonna research some acupuncturists in my area. :cheers:

sundizz
01-05-2019, 02:06 AM
You won

Stephonit
01-05-2019, 04:23 PM
If there is no easily identifiable source or cause of the pain the stress related psychosomatic response route should be given a hearing.

The two times I went to two different neurologists for two seperate cases of general back pain I was prescribed Neurobion both times. It is basically a vitamin B complex supplement which supposedly aids in nerve regeneration. Given the description of the ailment I'm surprised you weren't prescribed any.

Chick Stern
04-06-2021, 05:41 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-01-2016/-mW3XX.gif

As far as nerve pain.
-anti inflamatories/NAIDS are bad for you, especially your kidneys. Alonzo and Kenny Easley say hi.
-turmeric has merits. Laird Hamilton turmeric creamer is good.
-Tom Shady May be a douche, but the anti inflamitory diet works.