PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Sonics not considering Yi Jianlian over Durant at #2?

Howard5Dirk41
06-19-2007, 01:24 AM
I just saw some Yi Jianlian footage on youtube and he looks awesome, so why arent they considering it.....?

L.Kizzle
06-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Darko and Skita also looked awesome on those ESPN highlights from 2002 and 2003?

Y2Gezee
06-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Why aren't they considering Wright over Durant:confusedshrug: KG2 baby:)

lovethetriangle
06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Because he's Chinese.

And I don't disagree.

BradMiller52
06-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Howard5Dick69 you're the dumbest poster I've EVER seen on here, and considering I've seen a ton of idiots that says a lot.

Howard5Dirk41
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Howard5Dick69 you're the dumbest poster I've EVER seen on here, and considering I've seen a ton of idiots that says a lot.
:oldlol:

WoGiTaLiA1
06-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Probably because they project as similar players and they know more about Durant. Worst case Durant should develop into the same sort of player as Shard. He can be better though.

BradMiller52
06-19-2007, 02:01 AM
:oldlol:

I'm glad you agree and think its funny:cheers:

DCL
06-19-2007, 02:06 AM
I just saw some Yi Jianlian footage on youtube and he looks awesome, so why arent they considering it.....?

if he looks "awesome" to you, then what does durant look like to you? a freaking god of hoop legends?

yi's first step isn't even that quick. his athleticism is sooooo overrated. wade is athletic. lebron is athletic. yi in the nba? slightly above average in the athleticism department. are people blind or have no sense of speed or something? look at the clips again. he makes durant's first step look like iverson's, and durant isn't even that athletically gifted.

only see him getting by incredibly slow and skinny chinese defenders. in the nba, it'll be a much different story because the players are a lot bigger, more well-built, and also lot quicker. and since his speed is nothing special, what can he do? yi isn't a banger. he ain't getting any rebounds over guys like boozer. and if he's put at the 3, he's too slow to get by quicker athletes. he has height and wingspan though. if he wants to make it in the nba, he better develop that fadeaway jumper because he ain't banging any nba guys nor blowing by any nba-level defenders.

yi over durant??? quit smoking that stuff.

Sharas
06-19-2007, 02:40 AM
don't know if you're really serious:confusedshrug:

right now only way yi can score consistently is facing up against slower 4s. he is too thin to play back-to-the-basket and too slow to be a nba small forward. he's a wildcard and has tantalizing potential, but he's far from a surefire star.

wally_world
06-19-2007, 03:10 AM
because Yi didn't really attend a college and can only rely on workouts to prove how good he is... and workouts have inconsistent results so he might seem better to some teams and worse to some...

Y2Gezee
06-19-2007, 03:15 AM
For a 7ft tall man he's very athletic. If he can put the ball on the floor he can be a really good scorer in the NBA, especially if he bulks up to boot. He's more athletic than the pfs that'll probably guard him, and should be able to drive by them. And he can simply shoot over SF or take them to the post.

What he really needs to bulk up for is so that he can try to guard pfs.

jo3y91
06-19-2007, 03:53 AM
because they dnt smoke crack.

Nashformvp
06-19-2007, 04:10 AM
:roll:
because they dnt smoke crack.

true dat true dat..

:D

WoGiTaLiA1
06-19-2007, 04:18 AM
My problem with Jianlian is that he is weak. For a guy that is 7' he moves well. But for me the biggest thing for a guy that size is strength and he is just weak. I mean he gets pushed around in China where the league in general is not strong.

Thats the problem. The ideal size for a SF is 6'7. Yi is not athletic for that size and because of his strength he basically cancels out the height advantage(ie. He cant take them to the post because 19/20 are stronger than him).

All that said, he does have a lot of potential. He is still young(if you believe the Chinese government anyway) and he does have the sort of frame that looks like he can get a bit bigger without sacrificing anything. Tough to make a comparison for him but in a way he reminds me a bit of Shawn Bradley. He isnt the shot blocker or defender but he has much better range and handling but more that in his body is deceptive. Sure he is athletic for his size but the lack of strength basically kills that advantage because no one will play a guy his size on him. Otherwise guys like Vlad Rad and Skita are decent comparisons.

bdreason
06-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Troll.

IP Ban.

Nashformvp
06-19-2007, 04:29 AM
My problem with Jianlian is that he is weak. For a guy that is 7' he moves well. But for me the biggest thing for a guy that size is strength and he is just weak. I mean he gets pushed around in China where the league in general is not strong.

Thats the problem. The ideal size for a SF is 6'7. Yi is not athletic for that size and because of his strength he basically cancels out the height advantage(ie. He cant take them to the post because 19/20 are stronger than him).

All that said, he does have a lot of potential. He is still young(if you believe the Chinese government anyway) and he does have the sort of frame that looks like he can get a bit bigger without sacrificing anything. Tough to make a comparison for him but in a way he reminds me a bit of Shawn Bradley. He isnt the shot blocker or defender but he has much better range and handling but more that in his body is deceptive. Sure he is athletic for his size but the lack of strength basically kills that advantage because no one will play a guy his size on him. Otherwise guys like Vlad Rad and Skita are decent comparisons.

so ur saying hes a chinese dirk...

:D

det2orl
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Because they picked two soft, wack centers in the 1st round the last few years in Swift and Petro.

AtTheDriveIn
06-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Because they picked two soft, wack centers in the 1st round the last few years in Swift and Petro.

Three years in a row. :)

Swift
Petro
Sene

Thorpesaurous
06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
The Chinese Brad Lohous.

RainierBeachPoet
06-19-2007, 10:04 AM
The Chinese Brad Lohous.

lohaus would be flattered

too bad youtube didnt exist back then, brad would have gone higher in th first round...

det2orl
06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Three years in a row. :)

Swift
Petro
Sene

Forgot about Sene. Thanks!! Overdrafting strictly for size gets you nowhere. Biggest examples since Luc Longley, Joe Kleine, and Uwe Blab were lottery picks.

jerky10
06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Yi - Bosh
Oden - Al Jefferson
Durant - Melo

Real Men Wear Green
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Oden isn't like Jefferson. He's stronger and more athletic while being less offensively polished.

Comedy Central
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
if he looks "awesome" to you, then what does durant look like to you? a freaking god of hoop legends?

yi's first step isn't even that quick. his athleticism is sooooo overrated. wade is athletic. lebron is athletic. yi in the nba? slightly above average in the athleticism department. are people blind or have no sense of speed or something? look at the clips again. he makes durant's first step look like iverson's, and durant isn't even that athletically gifted.

only see him getting by incredibly slow and skinny chinese defenders. in the nba, it'll be a much different story because the players are a lot bigger, more well-built, and also lot quicker. and since his speed is nothing special, what can he do? yi isn't a banger. he ain't getting any rebounds over guys like boozer. and if he's put at the 3, he's too slow to get by quicker athletes. he has height and wingspan though. if he wants to make it in the nba, he better develop that fadeaway jumper because he ain't banging any nba guys nor blowing by any nba-level defenders.

yi over durant??? quit smoking that stuff.

Are Paul Gasol and the Spanish national team good enough to be an reasonable yardstick? Paul isn't a quick defender but look closely for the slow mo replay of that dunk, he couldn't even grab Yi for a foul.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z-nfAJJJV_M

DCL
06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
look at the clip again. gasol's stance in that play was just teeerrible. even mehmet okur would had blown him by in that one.

Edgar Friendly
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
LOL

http://a516.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/47/l_83e9692bde6463b8e71e7dce12709c73.jpg

"Yo punk. Why did you bump this? Don't make me sit on your face!"

The_Yearning
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
C'mon now

Jasper
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
The Chinese Brad Lohous.
This pretty much covered it back in 2007 and 2010 :applause:

Kiddlovesnets
05-06-2010, 09:18 PM
lol someone bumped this one?

magnax1
05-06-2010, 09:19 PM
genius

CeoTypeDoe619
05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
genius
No need for a bump. This idea was just as stupid then as it is now

RainierBeachPoet
05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
it just brings joy to my heart to see the word "sonics" in the nba forum

Meticode
05-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Wow, the thread title made me laugh even if it is almost 3 years old.

Edgar Friendly
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
it just brings joy to my heart to see the word "sonics" in the nba forum

they should have just let OKC have the name.Their fans actually care about the team

magnax1
05-06-2010, 11:33 PM
No need for a bump. This idea was just as stupid then as it is now
I didn't bump, it was bumped in the page before.

Alhazred
05-07-2010, 12:09 AM
they should have just let OKC have the name.Their fans actually care about the team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY&feature=related

RainierBeachPoet
05-07-2010, 12:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY&feature=related
:applause:

may God bless you with many children!!!

scott0326
05-07-2010, 12:25 AM
lol Fail

Go Getter
05-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Lol...Great bump.

On par with the "Westbrook Will We Biggest Bust in Draft, Bulls Will Regret taking Rose Over Beasley" threads.:roll:

O.J A 6'4Mamba
05-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Lol...Great bump.

On par with the "Westbrook Will We Biggest Bust in Draft, Bulls Will Regret taking Rose Over Beasley" threads.:roll:

Let's not forget the OJ Mayo/John Wall bust threads, or the Beasley is a once in a lifetime talent.

When we will learn you never take a non-black american born player or your asking for disappointment. If your euro turns out like Parker, Manu, Gasol, Dirk that's great, but i'll wouldn't take my chances and just try to snag them later in their career ala Lakers.

Go Getter
05-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Let's not forget the OJ Mayo/John Wall bust threads, or the Beasley is a once in a lifetime talent.

When we will learn you never take a non-black american born player or your asking for disappointment. If your euro turns out like Parker, Manu, Gasol, Dirk that's great, but i'll wouldn't take my chances and just try to snag them later in their career ala Lakers.

I never saw a "Mayo Will Be a Bust" thread...and I don't see Wall coming in and being as good as Mayo...so with the high expectations bestowed Wall I can see how he might be considered a bust somewhat after it's all said and done.

As much as it pains me to say to you I thihnk Mayo will be one of the top SGs in the league as he grows and Kobe and Wade get older and stiffer.

ashbelly
05-07-2010, 01:54 AM
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I never saw a "Mayo Will Be a Bust" thread...and I don't see Wall coming in and being as good as Mayo...so with the high expectations bestowed Wall I can see how he might be considered a bust somewhat after it's all said and done.

[COLOR="Black"][B]As much as it pains me to say to you I thihnk Mayo will be one of the top SGs in the league as he grows and Kobe and Wade get older and stiffer.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go Getter
05-07-2010, 01:59 AM

Who else is there at the SG position once Kobe gets 33-34, Manu ages a couple more years, and Wade's lift starts to diminish?

Roy?
Ellis?
Martin?
Reke? [Yes]

I said one of the top not the best there buddy.

Birmingham1955
05-07-2010, 02:01 AM

what is so funny about this? He is the best young sg in the league, can you name someone better. The only guy i can think of is Monta Ellis, and his sealing isn't nearly as high. I think don't think he is going to be better than Rose or Durant. To me, he and evans will be fighting for that 3rd spot. i though OJ was moving to pg also.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
05-07-2010, 02:07 AM

this guy deserves a haters are going to hate gif. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/VespertineIconoclast/Obama-haters-gone-hate.gif

OJ is switches to the PG position next year, the movement has begun Birmingham.

OJ is just a talent. Kobe is 31, Wade 28. Brandon Roy had a knee injury those kill careers. Monta has a low IQ and is injury prone.

Luckily OJ isn't going to be an SG or he will be the very best one in his prime. He is switching to PG where the real competition is between Curry, Rose, Evans, Jennings, Holiday, Wall, Paul, Dwill. and they will be battling for the #1 spot.

There is only one guy that could be better than any pg i listed including OJ and that's Tony Wroten Jr.

Go Getter
05-07-2010, 02:10 AM
this guy deserves a haters are going to hate gif. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/VespertineIconoclast/Obama-haters-gone-hate.gif

OJ is switches to the PG position next year, the movement has begun Birmingham.

OJ is just a talent. Kobe is 31, Wade 28. Brandon Roy had a knee injury those kill careers. Monta has a low IQ and is injury prone.

Luckily OJ isn't going to be an SG or he will be the very best one in his prime. He is switching to PG where the real competition is between Curry, Rose, Evans, Jennings, Holiday, Wall, Paul, Dwill. and they will be battling for the #1 spot.

There is only one guy that could be better than any pg i listed including OJ and that's Tony Wroten Jr.

Dude you stay hyping young guys :lol

CanYouDigIt
10-18-2013, 12:51 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mr Exlax
10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I thought Yi Jianlian was gonna be really good. I wanted the Rockets to get him so he could play with Yao.

inclinerator
10-18-2013, 05:41 PM
yi had potential, he just sucked

KyleKong
10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
We'll see how their careers pan out...

:coleman:

WesWelkerACL
10-18-2013, 07:42 PM
What a classic thread.

305Baller
10-18-2013, 11:38 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kUXK6azldF0/UE5YveZFI7I/AAAAAAAACy8/xBXs1gccHFA/s1600/crazy-laughter.jpg

kNicKz
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Jianlin was a bust at 6 overall but he did have 1 good year on the nets

kennethgriffin
10-19-2013, 12:07 AM
hindsight is 20/20

everyone says the #1 pick should be andrew wiggins

5 years from now he could be in the nbdl or china... nobody knows

stupid to laugh at anyone whos only seen a few highlights of players in the draft.

CelticBaller
10-19-2013, 12:26 AM
hindsight is 20/20

everyone says the #1 pick should be andrew wiggins

5 years from now he could be in the nbdl or china... nobody knows

stupid to laugh at anyone whos only seen a few highlights of players in the draft.
Everybody in this thread were clowning the OP. He was the only idiot who actually though Yi had a chance at the top 2 pick