PDA

View Full Version : It's time we've discussed this.

Lakessss
01-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.
Have they both surpassed Kobe?

Durant has the same amount of FMVP's in far less tries.
Curry revolutionized the sport and has more MVP's than Kobe in way less time it took Kobe to get his first.

superduper
01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
They both own Bran's soul

Phoenix
01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.
Have they both surpassed Kobe?

Durant has the same amount of FMVP's in far less tries.
Curry revolutionized the sport and has more MVP's than Kobe in way less time it took Kobe to get his first.

Durant isn't winning FMVP over Shaq from 2000-2002, so that particular point is irrelevant. Kobe led his teams to back to backs, he proved what he can do in that position. Durant still has yet to prove what he can do outside of being the cherry on the cake as he is with the Warriors.

As for the Curry MVP argument, he has the same amount as Shaq and Kobe. Or Shaq and Hakeem if you want to look at it in that light. Not sure the MVP argument holds much water there, when Steve Nash also has two MVPs won when Shaq was at the tailend of his prime, guys like Kobe, Garnett and Duncan were at their apex, with youngblood like Lebron and Wade ascending into 'we got next' torch-bearer status. It's not something you can argue on a straight line.

raprap
01-13-2019, 10:45 AM
They both will eventually.

Doranku
01-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Durant and Curry won their rings playing on the most stacked team of all-time against a bunch of injured WC teams and atrocious LeBron-led teams.

2017 & 2018 Cavs were ranked 20th and 29th defensively. :oldlol: Unheard of to face that kind of trash in the finals. And we all know the story about the 2015 Cavs.

None of their rings hold any weight. Roughly as impressive as a USA basketball Olympic Gold. Meanwhile, Kobe led Pau "0-16" Gasol and a bunch of roleplayers who were out of the league a couple years later to back-to-back titles... on top of a threepeat with Shaq.

It's not even close.

Keno
01-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Individually, yes. Accolades wise no, not yet. They will eventually pass him though, along with Harden.

Kobe will be 15th all time around 2022-2023.

Ben Simmons 25
01-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Individually, yes. Accolades wise no, not yet. They will eventually pass him though, along with Harden.

Kobe will be 15th all time around 2022-2023.

This is somewhat accurate. I'm not sure they pass him in accolades though... maybe, maybe not. They both probably go down lower on the all time list than they otherwise would have if they had stayed apart. And I'd take both of them over Kobe at both of their peaks. Durant was absolutely amazingly nasty during his MVP run and the same with Curry.

When you look at accomplishments... Kobe is winning by a wide margin right now over Durant but not as wide over Steph. They both may or may not get there to surpass him all time. I'd actually say... probably not. Anyone see Durant winning another MVP? Probably not. Any more rings after this year? Probably not, if they get it this year. So it becomes... will Durant have done more than Kobe after this year ends? The answer is obviously no.

Now Curry is a bit more tricky because he's going to amass so many shooting records unless he goes down with injury. Whether Curry gets to pass Kobe all time depends entirely on how the Warriors do after they lose Durant. I think they're going to drop off hard because of the utter lack of depth, but if they maintain and stay steady and Curry is able to get another ring or two post Durant, he will pass Kobe both as a player and in accolades.

I'd say 90% chance Durant does not pass Kobe all time.
I'd say 60% chance Curry does not pass Kobe all time.

Despite that, I'd take both of their peaks over Kobe.

DMAVS41
01-13-2019, 11:38 AM
I heard Zach Lowe say, if I understood his point correctly, that KD was essentially the 12th best player ever (at worst) on a recent podcast.

Without getting into right or wrong (I think he's definitely wrong)...

I think this thread is likely to be true...especially if Curry ages well....and this season is a good sign...

Curry is doing 29/5/6 66% TS and he's likely going to win another ring.

Curry, if KD leaves, has a chance to vault up the all-time rankings to...honestly I don't know how high...but maybe knocking on the top 8...because if KD leaves and Curry wins a title and fmvp....

At age 32 or 33 or something...he's going to go down as a top 10 player ever.

KD, without another fmvp, and expected longevity...will likely vault up the all-time rankings as well if Lowe is an indication of how people are thinking. To me, I'd think KD would need to do something on his own for once, but perhaps people just don't care at all. Which would be sad.

kennethgriffen
01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
i don't think anyone in the collude era will ever crack the top 10

lebrons only in it cause of his media fan boys that won't even be around in 10 years

3ball
01-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Neither Durant nor Curry has a case for top 10

Whereas I've heard pundits argue for Kobe as goat and saying he's the most skilled player of all-time... No one offered any rebuttal to this, because it's somewhat a mainstream opinion (I'd still go with mj)

So no..... Durant and curry - with their narrower repertoires, skillset, inferior strength/overall athleticism, less accolades, and no case for even top 10 - can't match kobe

Lakessss
01-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Whereas I've heard pundits argue for Kobe as goat and saying he's the most skilled player of all-time... No one offered any rebuttal to this, because it's somewhat a mainstream opinion (I'd still go with mj)

So no..... Durant and curry - with their narrower repertoires, skillset, inferior strength/overall athleticism, less accolades, and no case for even top 10 - can't match kobe
They don

FKAri
01-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Skill wise Curry's above Kobe without a doubt. But Kobe's 6'6'' and was a better athlete.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Doubt it.

Durant has an outside shot assuming he led another team to a championship.

At their best? Kobe and Durant are both better than Curry imo. Kobe being slightly better than Durant because of his playmaking and defensive ability.

FKAri
01-13-2019, 02:00 PM
Doubt it.

Durant has an outside shot assuming he led another team to a championship.

At their best? Kobe and Durant are both better than Curry imo. Kobe being slightly better than Durant because of his playmaking and defensive ability.
KD can be a pest on D and have big man level impact at times. The difference is playmaking and bball IQ. Kobe's way ahead of KD in terms of decision making and how to control a game.

bullettooth
01-13-2019, 02:15 PM
They both own Bran's soul

https://i.postimg.cc/KzTx2hn9/lebron-goat-loser.jpg