PDA

View Full Version : Build a team around - James Harden or Anthony Davis?

Milbuck
01-14-2019, 08:26 PM
You’re building a team from scratch, and get your choice of James Harden or Anthony Davis at 19 years old to start your team with.

With either guy you get the same level of supporting talent, coaching, etc. You're the GM and get to build the roster and pick the coach.

who you got?

superduper
01-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Nikola Jokic.

Voted Harden though. AD has no impact as a first option.

RRR3
01-14-2019, 08:29 PM
I went with AD, but I also am more of a fan of him so I’m biased. Harden can lead a bad team farther for sure (and I would pick him over AD to lead a team if the rest of the roster wasn’t a strong to elite one), but I think AD would perhaps be more valuable on a championship team. If I get to pick the coach, it’d be crazy to see AD with Popovich. If I get to build the roster I think I can build a team in which AD would flourish.

Btw, I told you already but in our fantasy league each roster has two injury reserve spots so you can put injured players there and pick up temporary replacements. Just a heads up. You and I are marched up this week btw.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Davis. There are nights that AD can match Harden's offensive impact. Harden will never be anywhere near Davis defensively. Your roster has to cover for Harden on that end while Davis helps cover for other people.

ClipperRevival
01-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Kind of tough right now given Harden's run but AD. The D, taller, longer and can better impose his will on the game. I honestly think the issue with AD is that dumb HC in Gentry. That dude is cringe. Has no business being a HC. Just doesn't have the personality to galvanize men. He's an assistant. I think once you give AD a competent coach, he can take off like Giannis this year.

Akrazotile
01-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Davis.

Basically because I think he would play much better with another elite player, which will be necessary for either of them to actually win a title.

superduper
01-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Davis.

Basically because I think he would play much better with another elite player, which will be necessary for either of them to actually win a title.

King James and Chris Paul would've made the finals last year if CP3 was healthy.

AirBonner
01-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Harden. Davis continually underwhelms despite having decent rosters. The guy puts up a lot of empty stats. He is a good 2nd option though.

BigShotBob
01-16-2019, 10:04 PM
I'll go with Harden.

Historically every good big needs at least two very, very good guards or so. Good luck finding them that fits with him. Harden just needs shooters to spread the floor and you can let him go to work.

Bigs need a lot around them to help facilitate what they do.

keep-itreal
01-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Once again this thread shows how overrated Anthony Davis is. No matter how many times he fails people will still worship this guy.

James Harden has been winning many games without Chris Paul. He led the Rockets to the playoffs when Dwight Howard was injured most of the time.

Anthony Davis? Look at the Pelicans record right now. Jesus Christ most overrated player in the NBA

FKAri
01-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Kind of tough right now given Harden's run but AD. The D, taller, longer and can better impose his will on the game. I honestly think the issue with AD is that dumb HC in Gentry. That dude is cringe. Has no business being a HC. Just doesn't have the personality to galvanize men. He's an assistant. I think once you give AD a competent coach, he can take off like Giannis this year.
I was very high on AD a few years ago. He's been in tough situations so it took longer to make a true assessment. But I feel he has a ceiling imposed by his ball IQ. He's not going to make another leap. This is who he is now. Still a great player but not on Harden's level. I'll take AD only if I already have another top 5 on ball playmaker on my team. Whereas Harden can give you similar results paired with much less valuable defensive role players.

Celtics 1825
01-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Harden because his numbers aren't empty

atljonesbro
01-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Harden.

ClipperRevival
01-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Once again this thread shows how overrated Anthony Davis is. No matter how many times he fails people will still worship this guy.

James Harden has been winning many games without Chris Paul. He led the Rockets to the playoffs when Dwight Howard was injured most of the time.

Anthony Davis? Look at the Pelicans record right now. Jesus Christ most overrated player in the NBA

I can definitely see this argument too. I sometimes too say why isn't he winning more? He could be an empty stats player. He'll definitely have to start winning more as he can't rely on that, "oh, he's only XX years old" argument forever. He's now starting to enter his true prime years.

ClipperRevival
01-16-2019, 10:38 PM
I was very high on AD a few years ago. He's been in tough situations so it took longer to make a true assessment. But I feel he has a ceiling imposed by his ball IQ. He's not going to make another leap. This is who he is now. Still a great player but not on Harden's level. I'll take AD only if I already have another top 5 on ball playmaker on my team. Whereas Harden can give you similar results paired with much less valuable defensive role players.

He's not taking another leap. The trick for him now is how to tweak/adjust his game to help his team win more. All true superstars that win need to know how to do that. Kobe didn't do it right away. He was just a chucker from 2005-2007. But once he got some help, he got his teammates involved more and knew when to take over and when to hold back. Still think Gentry is just a bad HC.

highwhey
01-16-2019, 10:39 PM
going with Harden here, he's an MVP and has shown he can move the needle on his own. AD is constant discussion about empty stats bc he hasn't led his team anywhere meaningful.

'Toine=MVP
01-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Ugh. I kind of hate King James, but have to go with him. The refs/league need to change the way the game is called, but assuming we are talking about building a team for this era, it has to be King James.

Mr Exlax
01-16-2019, 11:21 PM
Give me AD. He can put up points and shut the opposing team down on defense.

SpaceJam2
01-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Nikola Jokic.

Voted Harden though. AD has no impact as a first option.

Oh :(

SpaceJam2
01-08-2020, 11:38 AM
Harden. Davis continually underwhelms despite having decent rosters. The guy puts up a lot of empty stats. He is a good 2nd option though.

Spot on

AD was good for 33 wins last year

Jasper
01-08-2020, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Milbuck]You

superduper
01-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Once again I said "as a first option" as I have been in every quote you fools have used against me :oldlol:

SpaceJam2
01-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Once again I said "as a first option" as I have been in every quote you fools have used against me :oldlol:

So LBJ is 1st option?

Le17Szn, 1st option?

insidehoops
03-03-2020, 03:14 PM
There's one CLEAR choice here...

Marchesk
03-03-2020, 03:23 PM
There's one CLEAR choice here...

Davis, because I much prefer watching that style offense to iso dribble, dribble, dribble, step-back with 8 dudes standing around waiting for 23 seconds.

Derka
03-03-2020, 03:25 PM
Davis. I'll take the big guy who can ball every time.

Smook A.
03-03-2020, 04:29 PM
You can surround Harden with anyone and he'll take that team to the playoffs

bobopenguin
03-03-2020, 07:41 PM
AD.
i would never cheer and sit through FT show.

tanibanana
03-04-2020, 08:46 AM
In what era...?
Before 2010 - Davis
2010 onwards - Harden

Duncan21formvp
06-02-2020, 11:04 PM
Davis beat Portland who got to WCF a year later.