PDA

View Full Version : Moment in GOATness

andgar923
01-15-2019, 09:33 AM
I know that reply threads are forbidden, but this needs it's own thread.

The final 3 minutes of the Game 6 98 NBA Finals are what the epitome of GOATness is all about.

Running on fumes and having a bad shooting game as he's forced to do almost everything due to Pip's injury, MJ puts together a clinic of skill, wit, determination and IQ.

People always claim that you'd have to cut MJ's heart out to win and this is an example of those hyperbole cliches people throw around, but guess what? they're used because they're true.

In this clip of the final 3 minutes we get a glimpse of what MJ was about. He is responsible for almost every defensive and offensive possession that kept them in the game and ultimately won them the game.

Aside from the obvious defensive and offensive plays, what gets overlooked is his high IQ.

He knows the shot clock, he knows the situation and knows what to do. He attacks and puts pressure on the defence using minimal time and thus maximizing his team's chances.

He doesn't dribble, dribble and dribble taking time away. He doesn't wait or tries to decide, he simply takes matters into his own hands and manages the game and more importantly the CLOCK. It's all precise as if he has a natural timer in his head. He knows his shot isn't dropping so he attacks and puts pressure on the defense instead of bailing them out with forced 3pointers. He doesn't let his fate lay on the hands of others as he takes initiative and decides who will win or lose.

Sit back and enjoy on how it should be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530z-_yjdlU

andgar923
01-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Honestly... I implore you all to simply sit back and watch.

Let the moment sink in.

THIS is why those of us who saw him say he's the GOAT.

jstern
01-15-2019, 10:41 AM
That moment, where everyone watching, casual and hardcore fans alike knows you're the GOAT, and you go ahead and prove it in stunning fashion. It was a stunning moment. That's the reality of that moment. Perhaps the most famous person in the world at that point in time, specially in the concept of being the best, and then going ahead and proving it.

FKAri
01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
David Stern and MJ were on walkie talkies for the 4th quarter of that game.

andgar923
01-15-2019, 11:25 AM
David Stern and MJ were on walkie talkies for the 4th quarter of that game.

Let's take a huge leap and pretend that was the case.

he still had to perform.

The theories by haters are old... "MJ and the league were in cahoots" "Mj is a manufactured star" etc.etc.

But at the end of the day he still had to perform. He still had to make free throws, he still had to play defense and make moments happen for he and his team, he still had to do tons of stuff. It wasn't like other moments in which other 'stars' got most things given to them one way or another.

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Utah scored 54 total points in game 3 of that series.

Houston had 77pts at the half Saturday Night.

Let that sink in.

Overdrive
01-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Should've never come back after that.

bigkingsfan
01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Clicked on the link and first thing I see is MJ bricking a wide open three, closed it right after that.

superduper
01-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Let that sink in.

Games in this era are 100-100 by the end of the 3rd.

Meanwhile games in the real eras ended like 90-88 final score.

Are you trying to argue that this zero-defense-zero-rim-protection clown fest era is better because it's 10x easier to score? :biggums:

superduper
01-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Clicked on the link and first thing I see is MJ bricking a wide open three, closed it right after that.

So did you also close out of the first 12 years of Bran's career?

kennethgriffen
01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
i aint gonna lie.. jordan got some harden type calls back in the day

lol@ 2:45 ... what foul

5:11 coulda went either way too

then on the game winner he punches russells achilles lmao

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Games in this era are 100-100 by the end of the 3rd.

Meanwhile games in the real eras ended like 90-88 final score.

Are you trying to argue that this zero-defense-zero-rim-protection clown fest era is better because it's 10x easier to score? :biggums:
:oldlol:

Which era's were those.... what years?

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Let that sink in.

so, defense vs no defense.

how many 40+ point games have there been so far this season, has to be a record.

anybody got the $tats?

jordan's career ftr: .358

the beard's career ftr: .536

not even remotely close.

:eek:

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:17 PM
so, defense vs no defense.

how many 40+ point games have there been so far this season, has to be a record.

anybody got the $tats?
Naaaaaa...... it's called no offense, over the hill veterans in a watered down era vs. higher paced, much better all around players.

andgar923
01-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Naaaaaa...... it's called no offense, over the hill veterans in a watered down era vs. higher paced, much better all around players.
You call chucking 3s better?:lol

Do you know how easy it would be for them to simply chuck 3s all game if they had the same rules and lack of game?

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 12:22 PM

no, it's called the nba not allowing defense to be played.

it's in writing, chief.

:lol

andgar923
01-15-2019, 12:23 PM
The Jazz were ran a surgeon precise offense. They had 3pt shooters, low post players, mid range assasins all with high IQ and great passers.

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:28 PM
no, it's called the nba not allowing defense to be played.

it's in writing, chief.

:lol
There's a lot of shit in writing, doesn't mean it's enforced 100% of the time.

If you don't think that players are more renowned offensively than they were in 1997-98, then that just proves you weren't watching back then.

ShawkFactory
01-15-2019, 12:31 PM

The final 3 minutes of the Game 6 98 NBA Finals are what the epitome of GOATness is all about.

Running on fumes and having a bad shooting game as he's forced to do almost everything due to Pip's injury, MJ puts together a clinic of skill, wit, determination and IQ.

People always claim that you'd have to cut MJ's heart out to win and this is an example of those hyperbole cliches people throw around, but guess what? they're used because they're true.

In this clip of the final 3 minutes we get a glimpse of what MJ was about. He is responsible for almost every defensive and offensive possession that kept them in the game and ultimately won them the game.

Aside from the obvious defensive and offensive plays, what gets overlooked is his high IQ.

He knows the shot clock, he knows the situation and knows what to do. He attacks and puts pressure on the defence using minimal time and thus maximizing his team's chances.

He doesn't dribble, dribble and dribble taking time away. He doesn't wait or tries to decide, he simply takes matters into his own hands and manages the game and more importantly the CLOCK. It's all precise as if he has a natural timer in his head. He knows his shot isn't dropping so he attacks and puts pressure on the defense instead of bailing them out with forced 3pointers. He doesn't let his fate lay on the hands of others as he takes initiative and decides who will win or lose.

I know this thread is just as much about Lebron as it is Jordan.

Check out the last minute and a half of game 7 in 2013. Offensive rebound with a minute left (that would lead to a Battier miss but still), jumper to put them up 4 with ~35 seconds left, steal on the next possession and 2 FTs right after that, then a heavy contest to force a awkward 3 from Ginobili with about 20 seconds left.

Not quite like the GOAT here, but a fine job of closing out a game 7 in the finals in a completely back and forth game.

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 12:35 PM
The Jazz were ran a surgeon precise offense. They had 3pt shooters, low post players, mid range assasins all with high IQ and great passers.

nah, it's cuz they couldn't score 140 points in regulation against advanced modern defensive schemes like today. :roll:

'91 lakers
reg. season: 106.3 ppg (13th in nba); 112.1 ortg (5th in nba)
finals: 91.6 ppg (-14.7 ppg); 104.5 ortg

'92 blazers
reg season: 111.4 pts/gm (#4 in nba); 111.4 ortg (#7 in nba)
finals vs bulls: 96.7 pts/gm (-14.7 pts/gm); 103 ortg

'93 suns
reg. season: 113.4 pts/gm (#1 in nba); 113.3 ortg
finals vs bulls: 106.7 pts/gm (-6.7 pts/gm); 113 ortg

'96 sonics
reg season: 104.5 pts/gm (#2 in nba); 110.3 ortg (#8 in nba)
finals vs bulls: 89.2 pts/gm (-15.3 pts/gm); 106.7 ortg

'97 jazz
reg season: 103.1 pts/gm (#2 in nba); 113.6 ortg (#2 in nba)
finals: 87.2 pts/gm (-15.9 pts/gm); 103.8 ortg

'98 jazz
reg season: 101 pts/gm (#1 in nba) 112.7 ortg (#1 in the nba)
finals: 80 pts/gm (-21 pts/gm); 96.1 ortg

but nah, all those teams just got old and unskilled as soon as the finals started.

:yaohappy:

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:36 PM
yeah, it was called "get the ball to Malone cause nobody else is scoring"

That Utah team's middle name was un-athletic. They did nothing that season to address their scoring woes from the previous season.

superduper
01-15-2019, 12:37 PM

If you don't think that players are more renowned offensively than they were in 1997-98, then that just proves you weren't watching back then.

You do realize the footwork and overall basketball skills involved in creating a quality efficient mid range/post shot with the clogged up/no spacing of that era is a lot more difficult than chucking 50 threes a game right?

There's a reason Korver said "I spent over half my career looking for efficient twos". Look at the way that is worded. Just by that quote you can see it was a lot more difficult to score back then due to the rules/spacing/real defense/etc. and that's coming from one of the greatest pure shooters in history.

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:42 PM
nah, it's cuz they couldn't score 140 points in regulation against advanced modern defensive schemes like today. :roll:

'91 lakers
reg. season: 106.3 ppg (13th in nba); 112.1 ortg (5th in nba)
finals: 91.6 ppg (-14.7 ppg); 104.5 ortg

'92 blazers
reg season: 111.4 pts/gm (#4 in nba); 111.4 ortg (#7 in nba)
finals vs bulls: 96.7 pts/gm (-14.7 pts/gm); 103 ortg

'93 suns
reg. season: 113.4 pts/gm (#1 in nba); 113.3 ortg
finals vs bulls: 106.7 pts/gm (-6.7 pts/gm); 113 ortg

'96 sonics
reg season: 104.5 pts/gm (#2 in nba); 110.3 ortg (#8 in nba)
finals vs bulls: 89.2 pts/gm (-15.3 pts/gm); 106.7 ortg

'97 jazz
reg season: 103.1 pts/gm (#2 in nba); 113.6 ortg (#2 in nba)
finals: 87.2 pts/gm (-15.9 pts/gm); 103.8 ortg

'98 jazz
reg season: 101 pts/gm (#1 in nba) 112.7 ortg (#1 in the nba)
finals: 80 pts/gm (-21 pts/gm); 96.1 ortg

but nah, all those teams just got old and unskilled as soon as the finals started.

:yaohappy:
Inflated point totals and offensive ratings due to expansion/watered down era.

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Inflated point totals and offensive ratings due to expansion/watered down era.

this guy :lol

https://i.postimg.cc/kMcFxBpT/NBA-Freedom-of-Movement.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/6pT06tzY/NBA-Freedom-of-Movement-2.jpg

2018-2019
ortg: 110.1 (highest all time)
efg: .522 efg (highest all time)

Lakers play defense with hands behind their backs because they were sick of being called for fouls (https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-put-hands-behind-back-defense-sick-called-fouls-182852369.html?guccounter=1)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

3ball
01-15-2019, 12:49 PM

lol@ 2:45 ... what foul

5:11 coulda went either way too

then on the game winner he punches russells achilles lmao
Nah, the replay at 5:10 showed that Stockton was cringed up and turned sideways, despite being there on time and otherwise drawing a great charge.. again, if not for the turning sideways..

But that's a charge Stockton wouldn't get in today's game because the players are spaced out more now to guard 3-point shooters.. it's not that they didn't shoot threes and space the floor in the late 90's, but not nearly as well as today - Stockton would've been further away, and he also wouldn't be paint-camping at the 4:10 mark in today's game either, because his man would be further from the paint

And the rodman charge on Stockton wasn't a charge - MJ was right - Rodman's allowed to come down.

Also, there was a lot of forearm checking on the perimeter that isn't allowed today.. between the hand--checking, paint-camping, physicality and weaker spacing, it's clear why ortg was only 105 back then, compared to a record 110 today.

I also notice how there's more player movement in the middle of the floor, which makes the game look more random compared to today's open-paint, neat/organized, marching band look, and predictable/planned movements.

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 12:55 PM
You do realize the footwork and overall basketball skills involved in creating a quality efficient mid range/post shot with the clogged up/no spacing of that era is a lot more difficult than chucking 50 threes a game right?

There's a reason Korver said "I spent over half my career looking for efficient twos". Look at the way that is worded. Just by that quote you can see it was a lot more difficult to score back then due to the rules/spacing/real defense/etc. and that's coming from one of the greatest pure shooters in history.
With the illegal defense back then, it was a lot of man to man defense. No shading/help D allowed against the player holding the ball. It was much easier to do what you wanted.

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 01:01 PM
this guy :lol

https://i.postimg.cc/kMcFxBpT/NBA-Freedom-of-Movement.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/6pT06tzY/NBA-Freedom-of-Movement-2.jpg

2018-2019
ortg: 110.1 (highest all time)
efg: .522 efg (highest all time)
Memo's are from 2015 and 2016.

Yet they're just now enforcing them 3-4yrs later????

Like I said, just cause it's in writing doesn't mean it's enforced 100% of the time.

What next? There hasn't been a hand check on defense in 10yrs.... :oldlol:

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 01:06 PM
It was much easier to do what you wanted.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3E6uhDAN3W7vylji/giphy.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2018/7rkDFz.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2018/YEzlTG.gif

^rockets scored 126 in regulation and the beard had a 50 pt triple double in that game.

the lakers were litrally playing defense with their hands behind their backs. the latest innovation in modern advanced defense.

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Memo's are from 2015 and 2016.

Yet they're just now enforcing them 3-4yrs later????

Like I said, just cause it's in writing doesn't mean it's enforced 100% of the time.

What next? There hasn't been a hand check on defense in 10yrs.... :oldlol:

why do you keep doing this to yourself? :facepalm

NBA OFFICIAL VIDEO: 2018-19 Points of Education Video (https://official.nba.com/2018-19-points-of-education-video/)

How NBA 'freedom of movement' rules will effect refs in 2018/19 season | The Jump (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnfL60mG7g0)

r.i.p.

https://i.gifer.com/57sE.gif

Hey Yo
01-15-2019, 01:10 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3E6uhDAN3W7vylji/giphy.gif

^rockets scored 126 in regulation and the beard had a 50 pt triple double in that game.

the lakers were litrally playing defense with their hands behind their backs. the latest innovation in modern advanced defense.

It's called "keeping my hands away from a possible rip though or drive into my arms/hands.

Jesus Christ, I ought to be charging you for today's lesson.

superduper
01-15-2019, 01:14 PM

LMFAOOOO holy shit the defense in this era is absolutely pathetic.

Buh buh ma zone defense that wasn't allowed in the 90s that would SHUT Jordan down!! :mad:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is equally as funny as that black and white Cousy gif that always gets posted.

Mr Feeny
01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Nah, the replay at 5:10 showed that Stockton was cringed up and turned sideways, despite being there on time and otherwise drawing a great charge.. again, if not for the turning sideways..

But that's a charge Stockton wouldn't get in today's game because the players are spaced out more now to guard 3-point shooters.. it's not that they didn't shoot threes and space the floor in the late 90's, but not nearly as well as today - Stockton would've been further away, and he also wouldn't be paint-camping at the 4:10 mark in today's game either, because his man would be further from the paint

And the rodman charge on Stockton wasn't a charge - MJ was right - Rodman's allowed to come down.

Also, there was a lot of forearm checking on the perimeter that isn't allowed today.. between the hand--checking, paint-camping, physicality and weaker spacing, it's clear why ortg was only 105 back then, compared to a record 110 today.

I also notice how there's more player movement in the middle of the floor, which makes the game look more random compared to today's open-paint, neat/organized, marching band look, and predictable/planned movements.

Yeah i thought the Stockton one was close but I thought he was turning as well. That seemed to be it. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

The Rodman was was a foul on Utah that wasn't called. But Chicago has the shot clock buzzer situations go their way so it evens out.

3ball
01-15-2019, 01:29 PM

It wasn't just the injury those last 2 games.. In the entire 98' playoffs, pippen only scored 15.8% (https://stats.nba.com/player/937/usage/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4) of the bulls' 4th quarter points while on the floor (less than 1/6th), compared to MJ's 48.8% (https://stats.nba.com/player/893/usage/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4) (1/2)

Btw, pippen's 15.8% is less than... everyone... i.e. Ray Allen's 16.4% (https://stats.nba.com/player/951/usage/?Season=2013-14&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4) in 2014 playoffs.. or Bosh's 21.5% (https://stats.nba.com/player/2547/usage/?Season=2013-14&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4), let alone Wade's 26.0% (https://stats.nba.com/player/2548/usage/?Season=2013-14&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4)

Imagine if MJ had help like that, versus pippen and r_dman... Surely he's surpass his team's 92', 96, 91' and 97' offenses (#2, 6, 12, 16 all-time.... that's more top 10, top 15, and top 20 offenses than anyone)

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Jesus Christ, I ought to be charging you for today's lesson.

do you take money orders? :lol

[URL="https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/nba/214164-nba-emphasizes-freedom-of-movement-this-season"][B]NBA emphasizes

superduper
01-15-2019, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=SomeBlackDude]do you take money orders? :lol

[URL="https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/nba/214164-nba-emphasizes-freedom-of-movement-this-season"][B]NBA emphasizes

SomeBlackDude
01-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Nah bro, LeGOAT's impact is so divine that he ELEVATED the entire era with his mere presence for all of the players to be the most offensively skilled of all time!! :eek:

#LeGOAT!! :rockon:

once everyone starts using lehands behind leback defensive strategy, 200 points in regulation will be a regular thing.

so modern.

so advanced.

:bowdown: