PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 all time? Who did I mess up on? (Don't care about the actual ranking 1 to 25)

Ben Simmons 25
01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
This list is not in order... I don't give a **** about the exact order nor do I have any interest in discussing that... I just want to know who you think I listed in the top 25 all time that shouldn't be there and who SHOULD be in their place...

Russell
Wilt
Jordan
Erving
Robertson
Bird
Magic Johnson
O'Neal
Iverson
Duncan
Bryant
James
Nash
Stockton
Olajuwon
Moses Malone
Barkley
Jabbar
Garnett
West
Curry
Durant
Wade
Nowitzki
Pippen

Possible names on the outside looking in... Kidd, Karl Malone, Payton, Westbrook, McGrady, Ewing, Robinson, Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Ray Allen, Pierce, etc...

Odinn
01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Stockton. He finished only 1 time in top 5 in an MVP race. He doesn't belong there. His peak/prime wasn't never as good.
Also, I could argue that Pippen can (or even should) be left out.

There's no David Robinson in the list. But KG's there. Leave out Stockton and include David Robinson. I'm thinking of Pippen replacement.

Wait, Stockton is there and not Karl Malone!?..

I keep editing the post but you got so many things wrong.

Stockton? Has no place.
You can't include Garnett and then exclude David Robinson. It's no brainer.
Pippen isn't as good as Zeke on individual level and thinking that Zeke led his team to 2 titles, and would've threepeated before anybody since Russell if there wasn't a phantom call.

Ben Simmons 25
01-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Pippen was on the bubble but I looked at the other names and I'd rather have him be the first piece I add to build a team over the rest of them.

Stockton absolutely is in the top 25 simply because of his longevity. Longevity matters a HELL of a lot when we're talking about all time ranking, in my opinion...

Maybe I put Karl Malone in Pippen's spot, given that info... maybe so. Probably so.

Longevity is the thing that separates players from being a truly all time great to being a footnote. Look at McGrady.

If McGrady had a sustained, healthy, 20 year career... he would be looked at much differently than he is now. In 10-15 years time most people that watch the NBA won't know who Tracy McGrady is other than being on ESPN commentating...

I agree with you on Pippen though... I was just having a hard time coming up with a name.

Mask the Embiid
01-16-2019, 07:33 PM
:blah :blah

Nash
Stockton
Wade

https://media.tenor.com/images/06b6fbaaf54bc0fffb77c4347f7144b1/tenor.gif

Bankaii
01-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Before my time but I'm pretty sure Baylor is top 25.

Stockton is overrated af for obvious reasons. And definitely has no argument over Malone.

Didn't notice Nash too, come on man:roll:

Odinn
01-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Stockton absolutely is in the top 25 simply because of his longevity. Longevity matters a HELL of a lot when we're talking about all time ranking, in my opinion...

No, he's not. If you actually think this your criterias are flawed and you can not do something other than some stat reading.

Uncle Drew
01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Durant is not a top 25 player.

Odinn
Before my time but I'm pretty sure Baylor is top 25.

Stockton is overrated af for obvious reasons. And definitely has no argument over Malone.
Yeah. Baylor is a great call. Also Havlicek can be named in top 25, thinking those era.

Sakkreth
Karl Malone
Elgin Baylor
Havlicek

Are 3 players that should had been mentioned on the outside look at the very least.

Ben Simmons 25
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM
No, he's not. If you actually think this your criterias are flawed and you can not do something other than some stat reading.

Longevity matters. It is quite possibly the most important thing when considering the all time rankings.

Longevity/staying healthy and being lucky enough to be playing with prime Shaq are the two biggest things that separate Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.

E_Stamkos
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM
I think Elgin Baylor deserves honorable mention.

Maybe Hondo...

Odinn
01-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Longevity matters. It is quite possibly the most important thing when considering the all time rankings.

Longevity/staying healthy and playing with prime Shaq is biggest thing that separates Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.
Longevity matters if your peak/prime is there to back it up. Your arguments and criterias are flawed.

Mate, if you go someone to say John Stockton was better than Karl Malone, there's nothing you can do to be taken seriously.

MrFonzworth
01-16-2019, 07:58 PM

Longevity/staying healthy and being lucky enough to be playing with prime Shaq are the two biggest things that separate Tracy McGrady from... Kobe Bryant.
So what did Stockton actually accomplish with his longevity? A bunch of numbers? He played with a fringe top 5 player practically his entire career and did what exactly?

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.

scuzzy
01-16-2019, 08:02 PM
So what did Stockton actually accomplish with his longevity? A bunch of numbers? He played with a fringe top 5 player practically his entire career and did what exactly?

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was not a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.
This

17 seasons with Malone and didn't amount to shit

offensively an average scorer who couldn't defend for shit

MrFonzworth
01-16-2019, 08:06 PM
I'm a huge Stockton guy. If I'm starting a franchise, knowing about his consistency and longevity, and not the makeup of the rest of the team, the only PG I'd take over Stockton is Magic, and even that isn't definitive.

Stock will give you 20 years of keeping his name out of the papers, loyalty, leadership, and 15 years of elite PG play. But If I want to win ONE series, no way I'm taking him over the likes of Isiah, Oscar, Nash, Paul, Payton, etc.

Odinn
01-16-2019, 08:10 PM
I'm a huge Stockton guy. If I'm starting a franchise, knowing about his consistency and longevity, and not the makeup of the rest of the team, the only PG I'd take over Stockton is Magic, and even that isn't definitive.

Stock will give you 20 years of keeping his name out of the papers, loyalty, leadership, and 15 years of elite PG play. But If I want to win ONE series, no way I'm taking him over the likes of Isiah, Oscar, Nash, Paul, Payton, etc.
I don't see him dragging a team to the NBA Finals like Kidd did even though Kidd didn't face the best competition in the conference but given his players and the competition it was a pretty hard task.
Or I don't see him dragging a team without its main scorer to 54 wins like Nash did in '06. Remember why Nash actually deserved that MVP award?..
He gets ranked ahead of these guys based on reputation. Not actual level of play.

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Somewhat in order

Jordan
Kareem
LeBron
Wilt
Russell
Shaq
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Kobe
Oscar
West
Moses
Dr. J
Malone
KG
Dirk
Barkley
Robinson
Pettit
Baylor
Wade
Curry
Durant

Odinn
01-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Somewhat in order

KG
Dirk
Barkley
Robinson

I'd like to see KG's claim over all those 3 because he's like the one with the least chance for that #1 spot among those 4. I'm not dissing or something, actually trying to have a conversation. :)

Much better list than OP, BTW.:cheers:

Ben Simmons 25
01-16-2019, 08:47 PM
I'd like to see KG's claim over all those 3 because he's like the one with the least chance for that #1 spot among those 4. I'm not dissing or something, actually trying to have a conversation. :)

"Much better"... 4 names different... :roll:

SouBeachTalents
01-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Thanks bro :cheers:

To be honest with you, it's really the top 10-15 of that list that are in more concrete order, the rest are in relative order, more so in tiers than anything else. So if someone wanted to arrange those 4 players in any order, I wouldn't disagree. If we're talking strictly basketball ability & skill, not accolades, I probably would still rank KG first of the 4 because I think he was the most complete player. He'd give you 20-25 points a night, was a monster on the glass, could set teammates up and lead playmaking duties if needed, and of course played phenomenally on the defensive end.

But you could easily choose the others for solid reasons. Dirk for his elite scoring, outside shooting & gravity on offense, and the ability to consistently carry modestly talented teams to 60 wins & deep playoff runs. Barkley for his amazing offensive prowess, relentless effort on the glass, and being able to take his game to an even higher level in the playoffs. Robinson for his absurd athleticism and being an elite two way player, he could score 25+ a game while being a monster on defense

Dray n Klay
01-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Somewhat in order

Jordan
Kareem
LeBron
Wilt
Russell
Shaq
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Kobe
Oscar
West
Moses
Dr. J
Malone
KG
Dirk
Barkley
Robinson
Pettit
Baylor
Wade
Curry
Durant

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Loco 50
01-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Robertson, Iverson, Nash, Stockton, Garnett, Durant, Wade, Nowitzki, Bryant and Pippen over DRob is insulting.

GP being snubbed for Stock and Nash is also really bad.

You appear to undervalue defense.

Odinn
01-16-2019, 09:39 PM
"Much better"... 4 names different... :roll:
Did you try to having a conversation with yourself? You're pretty idiotic.
Also, more than half of those names are pretty set and stone. 4 is a big number.

Gotterdammerung
01-16-2019, 09:49 PM

In his prime, he lost in the first round of the playoffs five times. Four times being the higher seed, you're telling me the 2nd best player on those underperforming teams is a top 25 player of all time? He lost in the 1st round of the playoffs more years than he was the best PG in the league. You can't just rank legacies with regular season stats. His name will always hold weight because of the record books, but he was a fringe superstar at best. And peak > longevity for sure, no argument whatsoever.

John Stockton was a great player, and one of the savviest, most cerebral players I've ever seen. Had a bottomless bag of tricks, textbook ball control, excellent shooting mechanics, and impeccable command of the offense. Quite possibly the best off-hand passer of all-time.

That said, he never truly played above his standard levels, say explode for 30 plus and carry his team through rough stretches in the playoffs. His strength, consistency, was also his greatest weakness. He did not take over games when nobody else was making shots, when the offense was in the toilet, etc. Those are the marks of the very greatest players of all time. :no:

bison
01-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Your list is 2000s heavy:

1960s (4)
1970s (2)
1980s (5)
1990s (6)
2000s (9)
2010s (3)

(It adds up to 30 cause 5 players had primes in multiple decades: bron, barkley, shaq, jordan, kobe)

Ben Simmons 25
01-16-2019, 10:05 PM
He did not take over games when nobody else was making shots, when the offense was in the toilet, etc. Those are the marks of the very greatest players of all time. :no:

And yet this is something that the very GOAT of the entire sport wasn't known for. :roll:

Matppak
01-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Come on man Zeke is top 16 at the very least

'Toine=MVP
01-16-2019, 10:21 PM
I'd probably remove Iverson, Nash, Curry, and Pippen

I'd add definitely add Robinson, Baylor, Karl Malone, and Isiah

Nowoco
01-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Durant is not a top 25 player.

I agree.

He's a top 10 player.

Phoenix
01-17-2019, 08:38 AM
I think the top 15 is pretty easy. Not a defined order but 'roughly' how I see it:

Jordan
Kareem
Russell
Shaq
Lebron
Wilt
Magic
Bird
Duncan
Hakeem
Kobe
Oscar
Moses
West
Dr.J

16-25 gets a little tricky. For me (again a rough order):

Barkley
K.Malone
Admiral
Garnett
Dirk
Wade
Curry
Durant
Baylor
Petit

Honorable mention 10 : Isiah, CP3, Kidd, Ewing, Pippen, Payton, Stockton, Drexler, Iverson, Nash

IGOTGAME
01-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Stockton over DRob. That's silly, even Jerry Sloan would tell you that's some silly shit.

tanibanana
01-17-2019, 10:43 AM
This list is not in order... I don't give a **** about the exact order nor do I have any interest in discussing that... I just want to know who you think I listed in the top 25 all time that shouldn't be there and who SHOULD be in their place...

Russell
Wilt
Jordan
Erving
Robertson
Bird
Magic Johnson
O'Neal
Iverson
Duncan
Bryant
James
Nash
Stockton
Olajuwon
Moses Malone
Barkley
Jabbar
Garnett
West
Curry
Durant
Wade
Nowitzki
Pippen

Possible names on the outside looking in... Kidd, Karl Malone, Payton, Westbrook, McGrady, Ewing, Robinson, Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul, Ray Allen, Pierce, etc...

Remove Stockton, Wade, Pippen, Garnett. Then replace them with Robinson, Havlicek, K. Malone, and Pettit/Mikan (perhaps the best player in the 50s deserves a spot).

kennethgriffen
01-17-2019, 11:00 AM
#1 jordan
#2 kareem
#3 russell
#4 kobe
#5 duncan
#6 magic
#7 shaq
#8 bird
#9 wilt
#10 Hakeem
#11 lebron
#12 Oscar
#13 west
#14 durant
#15 Moses
#16 Dr J
#17 garnett
#18 Karl
#19 Barkley
#20 robinson
#21 dirk
#22 baylor
#23 Havlicek
#24 Pettit
#25 Mikan

HM zeke

FKAri
01-17-2019, 11:18 AM
LeBron should occupy the top 5 spots. He's HUGE you know.

TheCorporation
01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
I have to agree with most

I would omit
-Pippen
-Stockton
-Iverson

From the top 25.

I would include
-Isiah Thomas
-David Robinson
-(not sure on this spot)

hiphopanonymous
01-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Karl Malone
Elgin Baylor
Havlicek

Are 3 players that should had been mentioned on the outside look at the very least.
Baylor :bowdown:

https://i2.read01.com/SIG=4fmqbf/304c374a70494a4e314c.jpg

bizil
01-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Somewhat in order

Jordan
Kareem
LeBron
Wilt
Russell
Shaq
Duncan
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Kobe
Oscar
West
Moses
Dr. J
Malone
KG
Dirk
Barkley
Robinson
Pettit
Baylor
Wade
Curry
Durant

That's a damn good list! The only differences I have is Hondo and Zeke on mine. Instead of Chuck and Bob P. BUT all four of those legends are deserving of top 25 status. I can't argue at all!

And I agree that it's time to start putting KD and Curry in the top 25 GOAT. Those two are frankly the guys who knocked Chuck and Bob P just outside of my top 25. That last ring vaulted BOTH into the top 3 of all time GOAT wise at their respective positions. Even though Zeke had more longevity being great, Steph has 2 MVPs and three rings. And has made just as many All NBA teams as Zeke. And peak-prime wise is better than Zeke was. If u rank THAT HIGH at your respective position, then its time to be on the top 25 GOAT. And from there, BOTH revolutionized their positions big time!

Young X
01-17-2019, 06:22 PM
David Robinson just has to be on this list I'm sorry.