PDA

View Full Version : So we're just gonna ignore the fact that Michael Jordan was a poor 3pt shooter?

keep-itreal
01-20-2019, 07:24 PM
and that in today's game if you can't shoot the 3 then you're a liability?

While Jordan is busy getting separation for his pull up 2's, Steph Curry and Lebron just walks up near the 3 point line and hit the 3 effortlessly.

hiphopanonymous
01-20-2019, 07:27 PM
OP...

Do you honestly think Blake Griffin or Lonzo Ball for example - are better 3 point shooters than Michael Jordan when all conditions are equalized?

Different rules present different strategies and opportunities for scoring. This is the no contact era from the perimeter. The NBA has all but banned defense on perimeter players. If you couldn't touch MJ he'd shoot a hell of a lot better than how he shot when he was being raked shoved and pushed by the 1980's Pistons and 1990's Knicks. Do you agree with this?

And1AllDay
01-20-2019, 07:29 PM
He was a good dunker no doubt, but he had no modern era range check out his last three years if yall dont believe me

Putting up Giannis shooting numbers yikes even made a solid thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458191&page=3

superduper
01-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Seriously.. how fking stupid are you guys? Like for real? Do you have any idea how real life actually works?

In the era Jordan played with the three point shot was considered THE MOST INEFFICIENT SHOT IN THE ENTIRE GAME. As a collective era, they DID NOT PRACTICE THAT SHOT BACK THEN because it was literally considered an INEFFICIENT shot by the entire era. Coaches told their teams to NOT SHOOT the shot, only for last resort purposes.

Do you people actually understand what that means? It means that had Jordan or any of those players of the past played in THIS ERA, then they would be practicing the shot A WHOLE LOT MORE. Do you know what happens when people practice something? They get better at it. Do you know what happens when people don't practice something? They aren't good at it, speaking in relative terms.

You CAN NOT just transition Jordan's 3pt% back then and compare it to people now. That has literally got to be the dumbest form of stupidity if you actually think that's how life works.

In Jordan's era both teams COMBINED would literally shoot 2-6 threes max. BOTH TEAMS COMBINED. This era you literally both both teams combining for 60-100 3pters in a game.

Are you actually able to fathom what this means relative to reality? Because every single time this type of thread is made it is really alarming to think how many people out there lack basic understanding of reality. Then again everyone that makes this sort of thread can't be older than 16. If you are I am truly alarmed for your mental state.

1 *'d, morons.

fsvr54
01-20-2019, 08:55 PM
He didn't need the 3pt shot to be the greatest scorer in nba history. If he actually practiced it, he'd be even GOAT-ER.

You guys look at things the wrong way so much of the time.

Spurs m8
01-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Seriously.. how fking stupid are you guys? Like for real? Do you have any idea how real life actually works?

In the era Jordan played with the three point shot was considered THE MOST INEFFICIENT SHOT IN THE ENTIRE GAME. As a collective era, they DID NOT PRACTICE THAT SHOT BACK THEN because it was literally considered an INEFFICIENT shot by the entire era. Coaches told their teams to NOT SHOOT the shot, only for last resort purposes.

Do you people actually understand what that means? It means that had Jordan or any of those players of the past played in THIS ERA, then they would be practicing the shot A WHOLE LOT MORE. Do you know what happens when people practice something? They get better at it. Do you know what happens when people don't practice something? They aren't good at it, speaking in relative terms.

You CAN NOT just transition Jordan's 3pt% back then and compare it to people now. That has literally got to be the dumbest form of stupidity if you actually think that's how life works.

In Jordan's era both teams COMBINED would literally shoot 2-6 threes max. BOTH TEAMS COMBINED. This era you literally both both teams combining for 60-100 3pters in a game.

Are you actually able to fathom what this means relative to reality? Because every single time this type of thread is made it is really alarming to think how many people out there lack basic understanding of reality. Then again everyone that makes this sort of thread can't be older than 16. If you are I am truly alarmed for your mental state.

1 *'d, morons.

This forum is at an all time low.

Mods, ban me for life, i do not give a fvck, it'd improve my life hahaha

Bron stans, you are literally the dumbest of the dumb, i actually hope you talk this shit IRL so people can put a face to the sheer stupidity, problem is, none of you f@ggots leave the house and only spin this shit to mommy because you have no fvcking friends.

Jesus fvcking christ, the failure level is beyond anything i've ever seen on any forum....

EAT.MY.FVCKING.C0CK

Cheers

superduper
01-20-2019, 08:56 PM
I honestly can't believe people's minds work this way. If you aren't young or trolling on purpose you have a lot bigger actual problems in life that you need to address and refine.

Dray n Klay
01-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Agreed.. there's a reason 1-9 happened

Duncan21formvp
Never had issues hitting the 3 in the finals when the games mattered and were on the line.

Spurs m8
Agreed.. there's a reason 1-9 happened

Shut up f@ggot

tontoz
01-20-2019, 09:01 PM
When the Bulls played the Blazers in the finals the media was making a big deal about Drexler being more of a 3 point threat than Jordan. Jordan then makes 5 (or was it 6?) three pointers in the first half of Game 1.

When scouts are judging college players for the draft they have found foul shooting has a greater correlation than 3 point percentage when trying to project NBA 3 point shooting.

Jordan was a career 83.5% shooter from the foul line. Methinks he could have been a much better three point shooter if he actually focused on it.

Larry Bird averaged only 1.9 three point attempts for his career, in 38 minutes per game, and he won the 3 point contest. It was a different era.

Rico2016
01-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Bron stans, you are literally the dumbest of the dumb, i actually hope you talk this shit IRL so people can put a face to the sheer stupidity, problem is, none of you f@ggots leave the house and only spin this shit to mommy because you have no fvcking friends.

Jesus fvcking christ, the failure level is beyond anything i've ever seen on any forum....

EAT.MY.FVCKING.C0CK

Cheers

My brother ITS. N0T. THAT. SERI0US. In the end it's just basketball and one man's opinion.

bullettooth
01-20-2019, 09:28 PM

I honestly can't believe people's minds work this way. If you aren't young or trolling on purpose you have a lot bigger actual problems in life that you need to address and refine.

This is the result of years of dickriding an underwhelming fraud that's become a modern day finals loser like Jerry West.

LAmbruh
01-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Poor MJ, the only time he could 'adjust' to being a mediocre 3pt shooter is when the line was moved closer like a womens tee in golf :oldlol:

Keno
01-20-2019, 09:30 PM
practised or not, jordan simply wasn't a good 3 point shooter. he would be borderline elite in this era.

superduper
01-20-2019, 09:33 PM
practised or not, jordan simply wasn't a good 3 point shooter. he would be borderline elite in this era.

How do you know this for a fact without seeing Jordan being born into this era with the difference in training/practicing for the strengths of this era?

I hope you answer me because I really want to challenge your logic here.

Do you realize you can't pick up the figurine of the player that Jordan was back then, put it down into this era and say "LOOK, he would be like THIS because that's how he was back THEN!!"

If you don't realize how retarded that sounds then you're hopeless.

LAmbruh
01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
yup

ugly looking 3pt mechanics too

Psileas
01-20-2019, 09:39 PM

"Borderline elite" is supposed to mean something negative or even neutral?

superduper
01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Everyone reading this thread knows who the morons are. Don't need to say anything more or do anything extra to have the truth stand out..

egokiller
01-20-2019, 09:42 PM
That moment when the insecurity is so strong for not having watched GOAT MJ, that you come on ISH and start talking about how he would be at shooting 3's in today's NBA.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Another day
Another win

fsvr54
01-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Jordan would average 30ppg in todays game on 65% shooting if he just took midrange jumpers and drove the ball.

LAmbruh
01-20-2019, 09:43 PM
He was a good dunker no doubt, but he had no modern era range check out his last three years if yall dont believe me

yup

no range whatsoever

got you bunny turnaround J's from 10 ft though, Defrozan'esque

superduper
01-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Geez you guys are straight embarrassing yourselves.

Yikes.

jstern
01-20-2019, 10:02 PM
OP...

Do you honestly think Blake Griffin or Lonzo Ball for example - are better 3 point shooters than Michael Jordan when all conditions are equalized?

Different rules present different strategies and opportunities for scoring. This is the no contact era from the perimeter. The NBA has all but banned defense on perimeter players. If you couldn't touch MJ he'd shoot a hell of a lot better than how he shot when he was being raked shoved and pushed by the 1980's Pistons and 1990's Knicks. Do you agree with this?

When I read the title of this thread I couldn't help but think how naive and stupid so many people are.

He takes like 50 three pointers in one season, all probably bailout three pointers, because the game was played so differently, and they think it's an actual indication of his capability as a three point shooter.

diamenz
01-21-2019, 12:47 AM
not sure why u people bother replying to op. he's trolling. so the joke is on u.

Akrazotile
01-21-2019, 01:27 AM

EAT.MY.FVCKING.C0CK

Cheers

melted down to a puddle :roll: :roll: :roll:

scuzzy
01-21-2019, 01:30 AM
ITT juicy meltdowns :lol

And1AllDay
01-21-2019, 03:04 AM
ITT juicy meltdowns :lol

:oldlol: Facts hurt there feelings I guess. It is true he has a small impact so why be mad about it just accept it

livinglegend
01-21-2019, 03:04 AM
not sure why u people bother replying to op. he's trolling. so the joke is on u.

No he is not. It s a fact that Jordan was a mediocre 3pt shooter.
Don't start with the if's.

Tennis19
01-21-2019, 03:05 AM
i remember when he was in the 3pt contest. his 5 pts is still the lowest ever. having said that, if he played in this era he would work on this 3 ball and prob be around 34-36% range.

And1AllDay
01-21-2019, 03:07 AM
i remember when he was in the 3pt contest. his 5 pts is still the lowest ever. having said that, if he played in this era he would work on this 3 ball and prob be around 34-36% range.

34-36? No way in heck man. Think Westbrook numbers.

Tennis19
01-21-2019, 03:14 AM
34-36? No way in heck man. Think Westbrook numbers.

one thing about WB %.. he takes a lot of "hero" 3s. super contested or fading sideways. but yea he sucks at 3s.

i figured MJ career number is .327 so adjusting to the game i think he could go up a couple of %

Akrazotile
01-21-2019, 03:19 AM
That moment when the insecurity is so strong for not having watched GOAT MJ, that you come on ISH and start talking about how he would be at shooting 3's in today's NBA.

:roll:

Another day
Another win

FIGHT ME

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

sportjames23
01-21-2019, 03:53 AM
and that in today's game if you can't shoot the 3 then you're a liability?

While Jordan is busy getting separation for his pull up 2's, Steph Curry and Lebron just walks up near the 3 point line and hit the 3 effortlessly.

Ask Clyde Drexler if MJ was a poor 3pt shooter.

sportjames23
01-21-2019, 03:54 AM

1 *'d, morons.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Matppak
01-21-2019, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=And1AllDay]He was a good dunker no doubt, but he had no modern era range check out his last three years if yall dont believe me

You realize Jordan only took 55 and 53 shots the last 2 years of his career Giannis has take 97 this year and has worst stats. All you stat chasers cant even analyze stats correctly when Jordan took more than 200 3s in a year he is a 38% shooter thats 2 years with the regular line and 2 years with it shorter. They didn't move the line for Jordan they moved it when he was retired. Yall act like moving the line less than 2ft in was like it was at the ft line and you prove our point for us it wasn't that Jordan wasn't a capable 3pt shooter it's that his game was in the mid range from the post and at the rim so when you move the line in it's closer to his range. You guys act like 3pt shooters today can do everything but no alot of them cant make a mid range shot because they dont practice them..... Mj was a top 3 mid range shooter of all time top 5 at the least and a top 3 finisher around the rim can't say that about all your 3pt shooters today

Lebron23
06-16-2021, 03:02 AM

Jordan had a terrible shooting from from the 3 points line. He has a weak pulse in Tagalog we called it mahina Ang pulso.

Mr.GOAT2408
06-16-2021, 03:11 AM
He was a better 3p% than the Bronsexuals want to admit but anyone thinking he'd shoot 40%+ today is also out of their mind, if he was that good from long range he would have prioritized that from the beginning. We can do that hypothetical for guys like Bird and Maravich but not MJ, I think in his prime he'd be a 36-38% shooter in today's game.

At his peak with normal line and at least 1 3 attempted per game he shot 34% in RS and 36% in PS. I'm sure a good portion of those 3s were heaves/bailout shots and not the rhythm early in shot clock 3s that today's players like to jack up. That makes a huge difference especially at a low volume which was the case for Jordan

Spurs m8
06-16-2021, 03:15 AM
Such a low iq thread lmao

CountDracula
06-16-2021, 03:22 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Y2ckJBG/origin-gallery-uid-06-A8265-A-FCC3-4580-8724-9-D3-C07-FF0234-1623368570802-source-other.jpg (https://ibb.co/jhyMqkF)

https://i.ibb.co/68zRrX3/0341834-C-2-A7-C-4946-A95-D-00-AE55-C5-C50-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/m0kCbNL)

https://i.ibb.co/SsGGyzv/C3433-D9-A-DE67-4-BCB-BCDC-8-E0-BBB1047-CE.gif (https://imgbb.com/)

06-16-2021, 03:57 AM
So is lebron

Carbine
06-16-2021, 05:23 AM
Westbrook is a worse 3 pt shooter and drops 30 ppg in this era.

Considering Jordan was better at everything when it comes to offense, it's safe to say Jordan not shooting 3s at a high clip wouldn't really matter.

Spurs m8
06-16-2021, 05:25 AM
Westbrook is a worse 3 pt shooter and drops 30 ppg in this era.

Considering Jordan was better at everything when it comes to offense, it's safe to say Jordan not shooting 3s at a high clip wouldn't really matter.

The thing is though, Jordan would have adapted to the modern game....and given he's elite at basically everything, as if he wouldn't have had at least a slightly above average 3pt shot...at the very least.

06-16-2021, 05:55 AM
Michael shot 39% in the playoffs in his first threepeat, and literally set a three point record that only Ray Allen has broken by a hair

Carbine
06-16-2021, 06:01 AM
I don't think he would have. Not to the extent some think. He said routinely over the years that he didn't like taking a lot of 3 pointers because he took away from his aggressive mentality.

He knew his game better than anyone. Which is being the GOAT mid range/finishing combo there has ever been. He wouldn't go away from that.

Spurs m8
06-16-2021, 06:13 AM
I don't think he would have. Not to the extent some think. He said routinely over the years that he didn't like taking a lot of 3 pointers because he took away from his aggressive mentality.

He knew his game better than anyone. Which is being the GOAT mid range/finishing combo there has ever been. He wouldn't go away from that.

I disagree.

No way he wouldn't have done what was necessary to win and be right up there tbh

Carbine
06-16-2021, 09:52 AM
He would have won his way. Your best player doesn't need to shoot a lot of 3s to win.

Shooter
06-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Putting up Giannis shooting numbers yikes

Mike = Demar in 2010+

Clifton
06-16-2021, 10:47 AM
Interesting.

The thing about Jordan was that he was always in control. An individual player relying on the three-ball isn't in control of anything. It's a smart strategy for a whole team to do, but for an individual scorer to be in control, he needs to be getting into the paint, using his body, measuring things from the high post, and patiently sticking midrange Js in people's faces. You see this with the truly dominant scorers: Kobe, TMac, Dirk, Durant.

The shine of guys like Curry and Harden is always a little dimmer in the playoffs than the regular season, and even more so in the fourth quarters of close games. Reliance on long jumpers will always mean a guy is more up-and-down.

As good as Doncic is, I really don't love the stepback 3s. Not from a guy like that who can get anywhere he wants on the court at any time. When they start missing, the team can't win.