PDA

View Full Version : Zion is underwhelming

90sgoat
02-03-2019, 08:53 PM
I just watched Duke vs Wake Forest, so I am now an expert on Zion.

Here's my take:

Primitive ball player with decent bball IQ and very good athleticism.

His post game, while better than Lebrons, is still bottom tier at the NBA level. He is going to get blocked A LOT when he tries that back down finger roll (really more of a "whatever works hail mary move").

Reminds me A LOT of Julius Randle except a more willing passer. He just bumbles into the paint by sheer force and then looks to pass out/to backdoor cut, when the defense collapses.

His size is largely wasted on the wing. No need to be that big as a perimeter player. Doesn't use his size on the wing. Should play post, but doesn't have the game.

Conclusion:

Zion won't be a star unless he develops an elite post game to back down smaller defenders.

SouBeachTalents
02-03-2019, 09:02 PM
We know

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2019, 09:06 PM
A finger roll out of the post is far from a whatever hail mary move... Karl Malone crushed it on the left block with basically identical size / strength of Zion using that move only he didn't jump as high.

Wilt's go to "inside turn" move as well, off of either block.

Malone and Wilt did it.

One of them hail married their way to the best scorer in NBA history the other is #2 all-time in points.

Jabbar, McHale, and a litany of others did the finger roll out of the post as an option. That's a nice move so long as he understands the timing and at the college level he seems to. The idea is to beat the defender with quickness on the jump after you've used strength to find your spot - it really can work well. Most bigs don't have the touch to combine with the strength.

FireDavidKahn
02-03-2019, 09:08 PM
LOL.

People that call Zion not very skilled and simply an amazing athlete that can dunk have no idea what they are talking about. Zion is incredibly skilled. Good rebounder, can handle it, willing passer, nonstop motor, amazing body control when driving, knows how to use his body to gain position/rebound, absolutely ridiculous instincts which will allow him to dominate weakside blocks and will get a ton of deflections which will lead to steals and fast breaks.

People only think Zion is unskilled because they watched his highlights from high school where he played against guys a foot smaller and 100 pounds lighter than him.

He is really skilled and people just don't want to admit it. The ONLY thing that will keep him from being a star is if he becomes injury prone.

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Actually keep posting how bad he is I want word to spread so Cavs guaranteed get a chance to pick him

r0drig0lac
02-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Actually keep posting how bad he is I want word to spread so Cavs guaranteed get a chance to pick him
:applause:

Kblaze8855
02-04-2019, 08:00 AM
A finger roll out of the post is far from a whatever hail mary move... Karl Malone crushed it on the left block with basically identical size / strength of Zion using that move only he didn't jump as high.

Wilt's go to "inside turn" move as well, off of either block.

Malone and Wilt did it.

One of them hail married their way to the best scorer in NBA history the other is #2 all-time in points.

Jabbar, McHale, and a litany of others did the finger roll out of the post as an option. That's a nice move so long as he understands the timing and at the college level he seems to. The idea is to beat the defender with quickness on the jump after you've used strength to find your spot - it really can work well. Most bigs don't have the touch to combine with the strength.

I agree. Those who are good at it are fine. Mchale used to kill it with the finger roll and Kareem had a good one too. Far as wings....Penny had a good one in the post. So did Drexler both driving and back to the basket and sweeping across the lane. Its useful.

Haymaker
02-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Zion's advantages at the college level make his look so good. He'll be an exciting player in the NBA but I'm not sure about his impact in the W/L column. He could be Randle 2.0 which isn't bad at all but don't expect a franchise player.

k0kakw0rld
02-04-2019, 08:08 AM
LOL.

People that call Zion not very skilled and simply an amazing athlete that can dunk have no idea what they are talking about. Zion is incredibly skilled. Good rebounder, can handle it, willing passer, nonstop motor, amazing body control when driving, knows how to use his body to gain position/rebound, absolutely ridiculous instincts which will allow him to dominate weakside blocks and will get a ton of deflections which will lead to steals and fast breaks.

People only think Zion is unskilled because they watched his highlights from high school where he played against guys a foot smaller and 100 pounds lighter than him.

He is really skilled and people just don't want to admit it. The ONLY thing that will keep him from being a star is if he becomes injury prone.
CTRL + F + Shooting = 0 result :confusedshrug:

nayte
02-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Zion has haters already. Dude is gonna be goat. Get ready for it

RoseCity07
02-04-2019, 08:26 AM
He looks like bust in the making. Anthony Bennett 2.0.

I keep seeing him listed as 6-6 but he plays like a big. Haven't we seen enough of these player go to the NBA and they have no advantage. :lol

Kblaze8855
02-04-2019, 08:30 AM
There is too much running today with too many open lanes for him to not be better than Bennett. Hes gonna be a highlight machine week one with the right guards to run with.

nayte
02-04-2019, 08:30 AM

I keep seeing him listed as 6-6 but he plays like a big. Haven't we seen enough of these player go to the NBA and they have no advantage. :lol

Nope get ready for the new goat

julizaver
02-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Here's my take:

Reminds me A LOT of Julius Randle except a more willing passer. He just bumbles into the paint by sheer force and then looks to pass out/to backdoor cut, when the defense collapses.

His size is largely wasted on the wing. No need to be that big as a perimeter player. Doesn't use his size on the wing. Should play post, but doesn't have the game.

Conclusion:

Zion won't be a star unless he develops an elite post game to back down smaller defenders.

I think it would be quite the contrary - in the NBA high scoring pro-games Zion will be a start - a 20/10 player easy right from the beginning. And some corrections: He is a decent basketball player in terms of skills and ball handling and he is not very good athlete - he is an exceptional athlete for his size !!!

ShawkFactory
02-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Here's my take:

His post game, while better than Lebrons, is still bottom tier at the NBA level. He is going to get blocked A LOT when he tries that back down finger roll (really more of a "whatever works hail mary move").

Conclusion:

Well he's 18 so...

You need to watch more. On top of his athleticism he's more coordinated than anyone he's played against and always seems to be a step ahead.

raprap
02-04-2019, 09:41 AM
He

jayfan
02-04-2019, 09:45 AM
LOL.

This.

tanibanana
02-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Him playing good or bad in College won

Overdrive
02-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Could be anything between Derrick Coleman and Charles Barkley.

BarberSchool
02-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Rodney Rogers AF

Not saying that hatefully.
Rodney Rogers prime seasons were solid af

BarberSchool
02-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Could be anything between Derrick Coleman and Charles Barkley.Both good comparisons too.

Nash
02-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Zion is like a rich mans Anthony Bennett

Haymaker
02-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Or a financially well off Julius Randle.

imdaman99
02-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Could be anything between Derrick Coleman and Charles Barkley.
He plays more defense than either of those guys. Not that he would have a bad career if he became the next Barkley :lol

But Derrick Coleman was a mental bum with all the tools.

FireDavidKahn
02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Except they aren't even remotely similar as a player.

FireDavidKahn
02-04-2019, 03:50 PM
He at least has some semblance of a jump shot.

And since when did prospects have to have no holes as they are coming into the league?

Not *every* player in the league needs a 3 point shot to be good. Especially when people complain that bigs are falling in love with the 3 point shot and the era of a low post game is gone.

90sgoat
02-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Well he's 18 so...

You need to watch more. On top of his athleticism he's more coordinated than anyone he's played against and always seems to be a step ahead.

His instincts are good, but his execution is lacking. Threw the ball away a lot.

PeroAntic
02-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Theres nothing special about his handle or passing. Average at best. His rebounding is ok, maybe a bit above average, but hes playing with kids. His shooting is a joke. Most overrated prospect since Wiggins.

julizaver
02-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Theres nothing special about his handle or passing. Average at best. His rebounding is ok, maybe a bit above average, but hes playing with kids. His shooting is a joke. Most overrated prospect since Wiggins.

I can bet that if healthy next year Zyon will cause a lot of troubles for NBA players, I don't see how they stop him with nowadays don't touch defense - his bread and butter is at the rim where he excels.
I can't understand people talking about handling, passing - are they blind or just stupid ? He had a decent handling and passing for his role ... with his physical gifts he will be the highlight reel every single game he played.
I am watching basketball for decades and I have never seen a player/athlete like Zyon, and it is not an exaggeration - I don't know if he is exactly 285 or 280 but this guy is a beast, something like combination of Shaq with Nique explosiveness and elevation. His college highlights/dunks reminds a little bit of the late Len Bias, who was also extraordinary athlete at the time. And he is just 18 years old ... You can throw Wiggins/Bennet comparisons out of the window.

coin24
02-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Julius randle with hops..

Playing an nba schedule he's going to need to lose some weight, or he'll be injured in no time..

brutalBBQ
02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
Played a little one on one with him the other day.
Faked the jumper, he's touching the rafters so I just ran underneath him for the easy lay-up.
#scoutnotes

ralph_i_el
02-05-2019, 07:50 AM

This isn't a Been Simmons thread.

julizaver
02-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Julius randle with hops..

Playing an nba schedule he's going to need to lose some weight, or he'll be injured in no time..

To all the posters here - Barkley was 283 pounds in 1984 (in the trials for 1984 Olympics). Off course in NBA he trim down to 250 pounds and he was around this in his prime. Although visibly overweight he still rebounds and dunks the basketball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE1V9SmIgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtTF8rAHU4

Maybe Zion could trim to 270 at best, as he got very big frame and he did not look uncomfortable with his weight, he also use it as an advantage.

Haymaker
02-05-2019, 08:33 AM
I can bet that if healthy next year Zyon will cause a lot of troubles for NBA players, I don't see how they stop him with nowadays don't touch defense - his bread and butter is at the rim where he excels.
I can't understand people talking about handling, passing - are they blind or just stupid ? He had a decent handling and passing for his role ... with his physical gifts he will be the highlight reel every single game he played.
I am watching basketball for decades and I have never seen a player/athlete like Zyon, and it is not an exaggeration - I don't know if he is exactly 285 or 280 but this guy is a beast, something like combination of Shaq with Nique explosiveness and elevation. His college highlights/dunks reminds a little bit of the late Len Bias, who was also extraordinary athlete at the time. And he is just 18 years old ... You can throw Wiggins/Bennet comparisons out of the window.

Physical gifts? He's a 6'6 PF. Not fast enough to handle quick SFs and not big enough to handle tall PFs.

r0drig0lac
02-05-2019, 09:00 AM

Here's my take:

Conclusion:

in the bully-ball era he will not need, today 90% of offensive fouls that should be whistled, are somehow whistled against the defense, in fact I think it will be the opposite, he will probably beat the modern record of free throws for a rookie.

Overdrive
02-05-2019, 09:31 AM
He plays more defense than either of those guys. Not that he would have a bad career if he became the next Barkley :lol

But Derrick Coleman was a mental bum with all the tools.

Not saying he's a mental bum, but his tools could turn out to not cut it in the NBA, because he can't use them right.

Could also be Derrick Williams, great body for college, but too much of a tweener for the NBA.

FireDavidKahn
02-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Bump.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082632

julizaver
02-06-2019, 04:03 AM
Physical gifts? He's a 6'6 PF. Not fast enough to handle quick SFs and not big enough to handle tall PFs.

Can they handle him is the next question ? Barkley was shorter and still considered one of the best PF ever ....

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-06-2019, 04:07 AM
he will be a better defender than Barkley most likely but i dont see him being the terror Charles was on offense

Akrazotile
02-06-2019, 04:17 AM

Stop.

Uncle Drew
02-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Bump.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082632
Every time I see a Duke score Barrett shoots 7-21 or something.

90sgoat
02-06-2019, 05:56 AM
Barkley was the most effective post player in the NBA and led the league in FG% for several years straight.

Zion does not have a post game worth mentioning.

He looks like LJ in his swagger and style, except LJ also had an elite post game.

This is a different league for sure, but there's a reason both Barkley and LJ were effective and it was because they were MISMATCHES all over the court.

Zion is a mismatch on the perimeter against big and small, but he isn't a mismatch in the post.

I feel like this is Lebron all over again. If you're as big as Lebron or Zion, then you need to play the post regularly, simple as that. Lebron played a lot of post in Miami and finally won as a result.

Why waste Zion's almost 300lbs on the perimeter? No reason! He should get in the post and grab 15 rebounds a game like Sir Charles.

julizaver
02-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Barkley was the most effective post player in the NBA and led the league in FG% for several years straight.

Zion does not have a post game worth mentioning.

He looks like LJ in his swagger and style, except LJ also had an elite post game.

This is a different league for sure, but there's a reason both Barkley and LJ were effective and it was because they were MISMATCHES all over the court.

Zion is a mismatch on the perimeter against big and small, but he isn't a mismatch in the post.

I feel like this is Lebron all over again. If you're as big as Lebron or Zion, then you need to play the post regularly, simple as that. Lebron played a lot of post in Miami and finally won as a result.

Why waste Zion's almost 300lbs on the perimeter? No reason! He should get in the post and grab 15 rebounds a game like Sir Charles.

I am sure pro-coaches will use his natural advantage/mismatches - for sure he will spent some time in the post and grab 10+ rebounds by game or score with high percentage ala prime Barkley.

nayte
02-06-2019, 07:42 AM

To me all your posts in this thread have been decent. Not sure where the hate is coming from apart from agendas. I think zion is the next to dominate the NBA. Could be wrong tho

andgar923
02-06-2019, 10:17 AM
I've only seen clips, but from what I've seen.

He's very agile for someone his size. I think that's something that many overlook. They see his size and jumping ability but don't realize how nimble and agile he is. He moves unlike any player his size. I've seen Barkley play, LJ, Bron (naturally), Rodney Rogers, and other big men that were athletic. Yet his agility is something that's comparable to a much smaller 2 guard, say DWade... yup. I think that's extremely underrated as he's not simply agile, but he is extremely quick at adjusting within the play. I've seen him make blink of an eye cuts and moves at times 2 or 3 in a row which are amazing in general, but then you consider his size and it's mind blowing at times. His instincts to not only be able to physically make those moves but to react is awesome. People shouldn't get too hung up on his jumping, his overall athleticism is all time great.

His quickness is all time level elite. Yeah I know some are gonna say "he's playing against college players". He's matched up against players smaller than him on the perimeter and he beats them with ease using solely his first step. Again, in the NBA where the floor is spread out and there's no touching allowed he'll be able to blow by almost anyone using solely his speed. And if they happen to keep up he'll just bully his way to the rim.

And to go back to my first comment regarding his agility, he is quick and agile. Again, he combines both of those elements and he'd be hard to stop. He's too strong for smaller players (and even then he could beat many with his 1st step) and too quick for bigger players.

He not only jumps high, he jumps quick. He's an explosive leaper that translates into any era/league. He jumps 2 times while other players are gathering to jump once. Shit like this is usually done by leaner player under 250 (at most).

He's a top prospect solely based on his athleticism. His athleticism alone would earn him a solid 6th man spot in most NBA teams. His energy will allow him to draw fouls, his limited minutes would allow him to go after every block and not be afraid to foul out. As a 6th man he won't draw as much defensive attention and would do a good job at feeding off easy buckets. I think he can average 12 pts 4 boards 1 blk 1.5 assists as a 6th man with limited minutes. And again, this is solely based on his athleticism and energy.

andgar923
02-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Like some mentioned, he's only 18.

Yes his jumper isn't consistent. Yes his post game isn't impressive. Yes he's undersized for a big man. Yes his game isn't fully developed.

But that's fine.

He's being coached by Coach K.

He has all the right tools, mind set, and support staff to help him become an elite player.

Imagine having a history of Duke greats teach him what he needs to learn to become successful in the league? A history of Duke greats that will take him under his wing and teach him all the fundamentals and hard work ethic required to be great?

I think what's not mentioned is his effort and energy. People aren't talking about his fearlessness and aggressiveness. He aint no jumper happy softy, he's a BULLY a REAL bully (shots thrown at Bron). He is Mike Tyson looking to break you in half if you try to contest him. So his mentality alone will help him improve. His energy and effort are amazing. What that shows me is someone that's willing to work hard and sacrifice to win. And if he's willing to do that, he'll put in work in the off season to learn and grow. So his mentality and will to win are in the right place.

His IQ is actually rather good if not above average. He reads the defence very well and knows when to attack, he knows when to help on defense. He knows when to pass and he's already finding gaps in the zone to exploit. Teams are doubling him zoning him up every chance they get. They're trying to confuse him with different defensive schemes yet he's still getting to the lane, he's making good plays for his team. Yeah, he aint perfect but it's still better than some think.

I feel he has all the right tools, motivation and resources to help him become a good to great player in the NBA.

Today's NBA isn't big man driven. I think he'll create matchup issues for many teams right now, let alone once he improves and tweaks his game.

imdaman99
02-06-2019, 10:39 AM
90stroll talking about him needing to get in the post... yeah cuz he should hold the team hostage and not play the style Coach K needs from him right??? Are you serious? Do you not realize in college, coaches ask for something from you and if you don't have a cancer ego you will abide by it and try to win a championship? Did Jordan average 30 points in college, we all know he was capable of it? Why didn't Jordan force his legendary coach to let him gun for 30? Get a clue.

Zion will have more freedom and free reign to do what he needs to do once he's on the Knicks.

andgar923
02-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Im surprised that some of us old timers are actually pro Zion, while most of the young cats are Con.

Nobody will ever know for sure as we've all seen busts.

But the difference (aside from injuries) is that Zion has the support system from the Duke family to keep his head straight. Other players didn't have the same support system and they flopped (aside from injuries of course).

90sgoat
02-06-2019, 11:02 AM
I think Zion can be good or great, but I can almost guarantee, it won't be a Doncic type rookie season.

Zion is a 5 year prospect at best. Lots of learning to do. He is a Giannis type prospect of raw athleticism (with good IQ), but skill wise he is very raw.

Also, RJ Barret is not worth drafting for. Dime a dozen chucker. Ben McLemore.

hiphopanonymous
02-06-2019, 11:20 AM
You mean too powerful for both SF's and PF's to handle him

Far far to powerful for SF's

And far too quick and agile for PF's

He's going to kill it in the NBA.

The Bennett comparisons are ridiculous. Even the Randle ones are missing the mark and failing to recognize the significance of his size, quickness, agility and leaping combo mixed with what his IQ and work ethic are refining all of it with. He's 18 and already got effective moves in the post. Zion is a generational talent.

PP34Deuce
02-06-2019, 12:14 PM
I think Zion can be good or great, but I can almost guarantee, it won't be a Doncic type rookie season.

Zion is a 5 year prospect at best. Lots of learning to do. He is a Giannis type prospect of raw athleticism (with good IQ), but skill wise he is very raw.

Also, RJ Barret is not worth drafting for. Dime a dozen chucker. Ben McLemore.

RJ is not Ben Mclemore. RJ is going to be real good in the NBA. Legit crafty scorer with excellent prototypical size.

FireDavidKahn
02-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Every time I see a Duke score Barrett shoots 7-21 or something.
Same.

For the hope Barrett got he has been underwhelming if you could say that for anyone on Duke. Dude gets severe tunnel vision and has been kinda a chucker so far.

The good, good, good thing about him is that he gives a shit and plays hard and doesn't loaf around.

Uncle Drew
02-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Thanks captain obvious.

PeroAntic
02-06-2019, 03:42 PM
lol people think athleticism + good attitude is a recipe for stardom.

The guy has zero talent beyond strength and jumping high. 'he reads the defense well' stop grasping for straws pls.

Simmons cant shoot but hes a crazy good passer and floor general. Zion is gonna be exposed.

Wally450
02-06-2019, 04:01 PM
He's gonna be Kenneth Faried.

hiphopanonymous
02-06-2019, 04:01 PM

The guy has zero talent beyond strength and jumping high. 'he reads the defense well' stop grasping for straws pls.

Simmons cant shoot but hes a crazy good passer and floor general. Zion is gonna be exposed.

He's gonna be Kenneth Faried.
This thread is going to be gold to bump :oldlol:

andgar923
02-06-2019, 04:15 PM

lol @ zero talent

90sgoat
02-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Thanks captain obvious.

Why won't Zion post an all time great rookie season if you think he is so great?

Shaq, MJ, Doncic, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Kareem had all time great rookie seasons, why won't Zion?

PeroAntic
02-06-2019, 04:54 PM
lol @ zero talent
ability to dunk is not nba level basketball talent

andgar923
02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
ability to dunk is not nba level basketball talent

You haven't seen him play if you believe that. Solely based on condensed game clips you'll notice he has a good post game (better than I thought), good IQ and court vision, moves well without the ball, can dribble like a guard etc.

Main thing he lacks is a jumper but most NBA players come into the league without one. Most NBA players don't develop a consistent jumper into their 3rd season or so.

Hell if we're being honest, he already has some advantage over Bron.

And btw... YES having the proper mentality matters, it matters a lot. That's what separated greats from busts.

It's what made Kobe greater than VC.

FireDavidKahn
02-06-2019, 05:37 PM
This thread is going to be gold to bump :oldlol:
No kidding.

Something like 80% of this board thought DonThicc was going to be a bust.:roll: :roll:

That alone shows you the high level of basketball discussion that happens here:roll:

andgar923
02-06-2019, 05:42 PM

Have you seen him handle the ball? Sure he's not the professor, but he breaks down defenders and double teams ALL THE TIME. And it aint like he's simply beating bigs off the dribble, he's usually beating players smaller than him with the crossover.

He gets doubled a ton.

He has good-great court vision and makes smart decisions with the ball. He's a legit passer that can pass. He aint gonna be running the offence but he doesn't have to cause unlike Bron he can move without the ball.

FireDavidKahn
02-10-2019, 01:15 AM
The ground he covered on this block is:biggums: :biggums:

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1094397231157805057

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2019, 01:53 AM
His lack of ability to punish much smaller defenders on the block, or clear out just to get a pass in the post is severely underwhelming.

As is his handle, and creativity going off the dribble in the face up game.

Not to mention, he’s only a freshman, and he is like a cheeseburger or two away from being fat.

PeroAntic
02-10-2019, 06:38 AM
Have you seen him handle the ball? Sure he's not the professor, but he breaks down defenders and double teams ALL THE TIME. And it aint like he's simply beating bigs off the dribble, he's usually beating players smaller than him with the crossover.

He gets doubled a ton.

He has good-great court vision and makes smart decisions with the ball. He's a legit passer that can pass. He aint gonna be running the offence but he doesn't have to cause unlike Bron he can move without the ball.
So basically hes 'kinda okayish' in some aspects of basketball. Sure, that will work in the NBA.

btw Andrew Wiggins had a better handle in college, just for reference. And what good is it if he can move without the ball, if he can't shoot?

In this league you either handle the ball and create plays, or space and shoot. He does neither. Era of scrappers is over

scuzzy
02-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Definitely not the prospect to be betting against

Very very unique athlete, NBA is in for a good treat

ImKobe
02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
So basically hes 'kinda okayish' in some aspects of basketball. Sure, that will work in the NBA.

btw Andrew Wiggins had a better handle in college, just for reference. And what good is it if he can move without the ball, if he can't shoot?

In this league you either handle the ball and create plays, or space and shoot. He does neither. Era of scrappers is over

Ok, so he's similar to what Blake was coming into the NBA.. he can develop his shot and he can work on his handle, but you can't teach the kind of raw talent he has.

Problem with Wiggins was(and still is) that he wasn't aggressive enough, he didn't have that "dog" in him, you saw all-time great athletic ability, but he didn't look like he wanted to play half the time. I don't ever see that issue with Zion, who's actually playing defense and is putting his body on the line.

PeroAntic
02-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Ok, so he's similar to what Blake was coming into the NBA.. he can develop his shot and he can work on his handle, but you can't teach the kind of raw talent he has.

Problem with Wiggins was(and still is) that he wasn't aggressive enough, he didn't have that "dog" in him, you saw all-time great athletic ability, but he didn't look like he wanted to play half the time. I don't ever see that issue with Zion, who's actually playing defense and is putting his body on the line.
I was referring to Wiggins' handle, which was called 'decent' in college and turned out to be shit for the NBA. Now if Zion works as hard as Blake MAYBE he will reach his level of shooting and handle (its not a given because it works different for everybody). I could see Zion go down Blake's route, including the injuries, but that is not ATG level. And Blake is not an undersized tweener.

ImKobe
02-10-2019, 10:19 AM
I was referring to Wiggins' handle, which was called 'decent' in college and turned out to be shit for the NBA. Now if Zion works as hard as Blake MAYBE he will reach his level of shooting and handle (its not a given because it works different for everybody). I could see Zion go down Blake's route, including the injuries, but that is not ATG level. And Blake is not an undersized tweener.

Zion looks like he's willing to put in the work though. If Randle could be successful in today's NBA off sheer athleticism, so can Zion, and take into account that Randle didn't shoot 3s at all in College and wasn't known for his defense either, nor was he nearly as efficient at scoring.

andgar923
02-10-2019, 10:38 AM

:facepalm

Even if he's more than 'kinda okayish' you're ignoring the reason why he's such a big prospect with high potential, I'll let you figure that out.

Andrew Wiggins??? :roll: The two are nowhere near comparable at all, just log off while you can to save face.

You show your ignorance yet again.. either you're young or you're an idiot that knows nothing about basketball. Moving without the ball will free him to get easy opportunities specially in this no touch wide open lane era. But you'd know that if you understood basketball. Moving without the ball makes a player a more potent threat because he's in constant motion which not only makes him more of a threat to score, but opens up more offensive possibilities for this teammates. But of course you already knew that :rolleyes:

But he does handle and creates plays. I just mentioned he's constantly beating doubles and traps in a more congested/physical environment. They actually play true zone in college and they tend to surround him with multiple defenders. The college 3pt line is also closer which makes space more congested and harder to maneuver. Yet Zion does a great job at beating zones, doubles, traps etc. All without charging and creating turnovers which is impressive for someone his size.

I honestly think you're young and don't understand ball yet, so I'll cut you some slack. But next time think twice before posting.

FireDavidKahn
02-13-2019, 12:32 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: