PDA

View Full Version : Current era = Most talented era 100%

Rico2016
02-10-2019, 05:10 PM
I just freakin saw Ben 6'10 Simmons running point guard and pulling off sick ass euro steps. This current era really is the most talented of all time. Every player has to defend multiple positions, almost all need to shoot 3s, the euro talent pool is being tapped into even moreso. This era is the most talented 100% for sure. It's crazy to think otherwise.

90s era was so watered down compared to now.

superduper
02-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Defense is absolutely pathetic in this era. Scoring is the easiest it's ever been. If you're impressed by this you clearly started watching basketball 5 years ago

Rico2016
02-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Defense is absolutely pathetic in this era. Scoring is the easiest it's ever been. If you're impressed by this you clearly started watching basketball 5 years ago

When players have more skills it might look easier. 90s era you just run straight into people while defenders try to put you in a head lock.

Dude! I just saw 6'10 Ben Simmons running Point Guard and pulling off a sick ass Euro step. That shit didnt even exist in 90s time

superduper
02-10-2019, 05:15 PM
When players have more skills it might look easier. 90s era you just run straight into people while defenders try to put you in a head lock.

Dude! I just saw 6'10 Ben Simmons running Point Guard and pulling off a sick ass Euro step. That shit didnt even exist in 90s time

You know what existed in the 90s time?

Defense being played and actual rim protection. Both of which are absolutely non-existent in this garbage layup line 3pt chucking era.

andgar923
02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
I just freakin saw Ben 6'10 Simmons running point guard and pulling off sick ass euro steps. This current era really is the most talented of all time. Every player has to defend multiple positions, almost all need to shoot 3s, the euro talent pool is being tapped into even moreso. This era is the most talented 100% for sure. It's crazy to think otherwise.

You do know the GOAT PG was basically 6'10 and played in the 80s right?

The need to shoot 3s is a result of lack of interior-mid game. You lose a mid-post game when you concentrate and focus on the 3pter and that is not more talented.

Big men have always been able to step outside and shoot from long distance, they just chose not to because they could play inside.

You wanna talk about players having to defend every position? well players were more specialized back then because the roles and the skill levels in those positions were more advanced. Today's players may appear to be more well rounded or skilled, but they don't specialize in anything (for the most part). If you had more players specialized in specific positions they would need to adapt.

But since everyone is shooting 3s and the game is open allowing them to run and gun, there isn't a need to be specialized or be as skilled.

diamenz
02-10-2019, 05:48 PM
defense is at it's absolute worst today. if it were better, u may have had an argument.

andgar923
02-10-2019, 06:12 PM
OP stated players need to defend every position. That shows there

bigkingsfan
02-10-2019, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=andgar923]OP stated players need to defend every position. That shows there

superduper
02-10-2019, 06:17 PM
It is straight up pathetic watching the defense in this era. Not so much the player capabilities but the rules are straight trash. But still player capabilities a bit.

game3524
02-10-2019, 06:27 PM

:oldlol:

It has less to do with skill and more with the fact they neutered defenses.

sportjames23
02-10-2019, 06:41 PM

#Facts

FreezingTsmoove
02-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Magic Johnson and Penny Hardaway > Ben Simmons

NBAGOAT
02-10-2019, 07:08 PM
lol people bringing up the best pgs of some previous era being better than simmons proves nothing. Simmons isnt even a top 5 pg yet.

Rules do make it harder for defenders but I could see multiple scorers from this era just constantly going to the foul line(physical play means more free throws leaguewide). There are definitely stretch bigs who couldnt guard even an average post player but who cares. They're helping their offense more and that's why someone even as effective in the post as enes kanter is unplayable because he cant switch and cant shoot to stretch out the defense. There are tons of guys like enes playing center in the 90s

andgar923
02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
lol people bringing up the best pgs of some previous era being better than simmons proves nothing. Simmons isnt even a top 5 pg yet.

Rules do make it harder for defenders but I could see multiple scorers from this era just constantly going to the foul line(physical play means more free throws leaguewide). There are definitely stretch bigs who couldnt guard even an average post player but who cares. They're helping their offense more and that's why someone even as effective in the post as enes kanter is unplayable because he cant switch and cant shoot to stretch out the defense. There are tons of guys like enes playing center in the 90s
It proves that those players not only existed but were better, that's what bringing up past players proves.

There were other big men that could handle the ball and even play pg if the game was different.

Stretch bigs always existed, but again the talent level of the players in the mid and low post was simply greater than today. Because the talent in the middle and bigs was so great you needed to guard the middle and interior. They were skilled so they didn't just shoot the 3. The rules and lanes were crowded so they also couldn't afford to be cute and dribble all game like a PG.

As some mentioned, the rules today allow and even encourage perimeter players getting cute with the ball.

Today's rules and style force the 3 because players aren't talented enough to play in the middle and paint. The 3 is an easier shot for them than the post. It's easier to stand and wait for the pop shot than to work inside, cut, pump, have footwork, bang in the paint, etc.

Today's game is watered down, plain and simple.

ArbitraryWater
02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
easily.

Never been more abled players

FKAri
02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Most skilled that I've seen. But it's easier to show your skills with the rules as they are currently. One thing for sure is depth. The level of bench play has continued to improve over the years. Bench play in the 90's was worse than it is now.

kennethgriffen
02-10-2019, 08:15 PM
i guess defense, offensive sets and post play isnt a talent

three ball chucking is the only talent worth a damn

:lol

Rico2016
02-11-2019, 03:10 AM
i guess defense, offensive sets and post play isnt a talent

three ball chucking is the only talent worth a damn

:lol

Who was the perimeter defensive juggernaut back then? Did they even play defense back then or just pack the paint and put people in headlocks? :oldlol: :oldlol:

FreezingTsmoove
02-11-2019, 03:37 AM
Rules were different back then.... I remember a time where I could barely do a hop step without 4 people calling travel, a crowd screaming at me, and getting laughed out a park for trying to defend my move... I wouldnt dare try to attempt a euro step. Now you have guys doing double step backs, carrying the ball every play, guys getting away with taking 3-4 steps on their drives, and no one bats an eye. Back in the day if you did some bullshit you got called out on it immediately. “You dont know your calls” was a very popular phrase back in the day....The game is much easier to play, much more fluid because of the lax rules.

True story. I worked on my jumpshot all summer long before my middle school basketball tryouts. I was raining HS 3s like they were going out of style during my training. On one of my first possesions of the tryouts I grabbed a rebound and jogged into a 3 point shot from the top of the key. The coaches didnt even wait to see if the shot would go in, the 3 coaches blew their whistle stopped the whole gym and told everyone we are not going to do that bullshit in here.... The 3 point shot was looked down upon by a lot of people back in the day for whatever reason... especially “bad” 3 point shots. Im sure a lot of players back then could have shot the ball just as good as todays players if it was encouraged

masonanddixon
02-11-2019, 03:41 AM
This current era is the worst basketball I have ever seen in my life.

Only a few guys right now could compete in the early-mid 2000s and the complete death of big men has rendered the league at present a joke.

Bawkish
02-11-2019, 03:53 AM
Who was the perimeter defensive juggernaut back then? Did they even play defense back then or just pack the paint and put people in headlocks? :oldlol: :oldlol:

Big men were mostly the defensive catalyst in the 90s. Guys like Olajuwon, Ewing, D.Rob, Mutombo or Mourning were constant contenders for DPOY. Great perimeter defenders were rare but most defensive schemes were team oriented rather then individual matchups.

Back then, great defensive teams like Pat Riley's Knicks & Heat teams or the Dynasty Bulls or Mike Fratello's Cavs or George Karl's Sonics didn't just play physical defense but also play a slow paced half court sets to frustrate the offense and create forced turnovers in defense

TheImmortal
02-11-2019, 04:13 AM
This current era is the worst basketball I have ever seen in my life.

Only a few guys right now could compete in the early-mid 2000s and the complete death of big men has rendered the league at present a joke.
Truth.

jstern
02-11-2019, 04:54 AM

Softer rules = more flopping, more soft fouls. Tougher rules = less flopping because harder fouls are allowed.

Just because the league was more physical doesn't mean that they will get more fouls, because it's not being called the same.

nayte
02-11-2019, 07:27 AM

I want to agree op but the rule changes make it hard so I dunno. Still I agree in a way. Rule changes aside which have changed the game so much I wonder what is the point of this thread

allball
02-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Man you're nuts. Yes the talent is great but defense in the league is awful and I've been watching since the 70's. so what the eurostep didn't exist. It's not that great of a move to jack off about

bison
02-11-2019, 03:50 PM
The Eurostep sometimes feels like a vague travel to me. It’s almost a semi-hop. It’s not that impressive a skill.

superduper
02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Bran stans might as well be screaming "I was in my mother's womb when Bran was drafted!!"

NuggetsFan
02-11-2019, 04:07 PM
I think the 1% or even the 5% is always going to be similar and could adjust to any era. I do think everyone else gets better over time tho. With nutrition, PED's, working out etc. all improving it's impossible for guys not to be in better shape. Development starts alot younger too. In 2018 you have like 14 year old kids on work out routines, special diets etc.

Were finally seeing the international game catch up as well. Doncic, Jokic, Embiid, Gobert etc ... the next 15-20 years in the NBA we'll be the peak of international players.

I just think it's a tough sell thinking players got worse with improved nutrition, technology, coaching, development etc. Like in 1980 teams couldn't watch tape on opponents from there ipad on the plane before the game. Schemes have evolved, everyone knows more space = harder to play defense which leads to everyone chucking 3's now.

NuggetsFan
02-11-2019, 04:14 PM
I do think from an entertainment stand point it's alot worse tho. Basketball was better to watch back in the day. Analytics and efficiency has made teams play better and smarter .. but it's hurt creativity and just overall entertainment.

Chucking 3's is just a smart shot. It forces defense's to guard you all the way out there. When you have 3-5 guys that have the green light to fire away, even if there 30% shooters, as a defense you have to guard it. It creates a ton of space. Makes defense almost impossible.

It's only going to get worse too.