PDA

View Full Version : How did everyone on here not notice that Ben Simmons attempted one 3pt shot tonight?

AirBonner
02-11-2019, 12:03 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ben Simmons 25
02-11-2019, 12:06 AM
He can shoot. The problem is psychological and having the balls to start doing it regularly in games.

Which is no small thing when it's an issue... but I mean... hey... that's his challenge.

Celtics 1825
02-11-2019, 12:19 AM
Was it a legit 3 or a half court heave?

Ben Simmons 25
02-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Was it a legit 3 or a half court heave?

https://streamable.com/rzfcb

chains5000
02-11-2019, 04:08 AM
Only trying that against the weakest teams in the league

HylianNightmare
02-11-2019, 08:45 AM
It's coming

Kblaze8855
02-11-2019, 08:48 AM
What bothered me is Lebron might play 15 feet off him and he would just walk over to where Lebron was as if he was uncomfortable being left that open. Like he knew people saw and would expect him to try to score.

He doesnt even have to shoot in that situation. Walk to the other side of the court and attack on the catch. He literally walked up to Lebron to appear defended a couple times.

Now its possible Lebron knew their set and knew where he was going....players who watch a lot of film can do that...but it was a bad look.

Gileraracer
02-11-2019, 08:51 AM
He can shoot.

He's 0 of 13 from 3PT for his career. :confusedshrug:

AlternativeAcc.
02-11-2019, 09:05 AM
He can shoot. The problem is psychological and having the balls to start doing it regularly in games.

Which is no small thing when it's an issue... but I mean... hey... that's his challenge.
Are you sure?

I mean, technically anybody can 'shoot'.. in an open gym.. I see fat out of shape old men shooting and making shots all the time.

The question is can Ben shoot in a game setting efficiently enough to justify taking 3's more than he does now? If he could, he'd almost certainly be doing it. I don't think he can shoot at all. Yes it's partly a mental thing, but that's because he knows he hasn't had much success with it and it's not his game.

Ben Simmons 25
02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Are you sure?

I mean, technically anybody can 'shoot'.. in an open gym.. I see fat out of shape old men shooting and making shots all the time.

The question is can Ben shoot in a game setting efficiently enough to justify taking 3's more than he does now? If he could, he'd almost certainly be doing it. I don't think he can shoot at all. Yes it's partly a mental thing, but that's because he knows he hasn't had much success with it and it's not his game.

So if you recognize it's at least partially a mental thing, in your words, what else could it be that's causing him to miss? Fill in the blanks for me.

The pressure of the crowd? Simmons is one of the most composed rookies I've ever seen. Doncic is the only other guy I can even remember maybe ever that carried himself with as much poise on the court as a rookie. Most rookies have a super nervous energy about them throughout the season... out of Simmons, I maybe saw that a couple of times. Almost always calm and collected.

Not being in good enough cardio shape with muscle memory that functions well enough during high cardio situations? Not sure I can get behind that. He's in tremendous shape and it shows when he regularly out sprints people down the court that are significantly smaller than him. I remember a game last year that he, while dribbling, outran LeBron in the open court... that shit doesn't happen. It's not like the dude gasses out in games. Simmons routinely finishes games at the same speed he started. This isn't a motor issue.

I think Simmons' biggest initial problem was that he was able to utterly and completely dominate everyone he faced prior to the NBA for years just based off of his physical tools alone and so he never put the work in to developing a jumper. Then, once getting to the NBA level, and as he has put some of the work in and can nail them in practice, psychologically it's become such a big thing for him that he can't shoot because of all the media scrutiny that... he actually can't shoot. It's a self perpetuating situation, if you will.

And now it's all in his head... and that's no small thing. A lot of guys... a LOT of guys, never overcome it.

I'm open to hearing reasons why he can't make shots in game though that aren't psychological... given that 1) he's extremely confident on the big stage except for this one aspect of the game and 2) his conditioning is beyond excellent.

It could be that it's not psychological... I'd just like for someone to explain how that's the case.

GOBB
02-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Can shoot
Can

superduper
02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Imagine celebrating because a dude attempted a 3pt shot :facepalm

Trade this guy ASAP

FKAri
02-11-2019, 12:17 PM
He can shoot.
I admit I doubted him but he certainly showed he could the other day. He sure as hell can't put it in, though.

Celtics 1825
02-11-2019, 02:31 PM
https://streamable.com/rzfcb
DAMN that almost went in :eek: :eek:

The NBA community is gonna erupt whenever he makes his first 3

MrFonzworth
02-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Greatest almost make in NBA history:bowdown: