PDA

View Full Version : This just in... Jayson Tatum is still a kid.

Ben Simmons 25
02-11-2019, 11:42 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-tatum-would-not-mind-being-face-of-pelicans/ar-BBTstRa

Report: Tatum ‘would not mind’ being face of Pelicans
Bryan Kalbrosky 6 hrs ago

If the Boston Celtics pulled off a blockbuster trade for New Orleans Pelicans star Anthony Davis, it's very possible Jayson Tatum would be involved.

The Athletic's Sam Amick reported that the possibility of including Tatum in a deal was " discussed extensively" between the Pelicans and Celtics. That is likely why the Los Angeles Lakers (or another suitor) were unable to make a deal with New Orleans before the trade deadline.

The Pelicans know they must wait until the offseason for Boston to offer the 20-year-old wing (since Kyrie Irving and Davis are both on designated-player contracts and each NBA team can only have one such player on their roster). And according to Chris Mannix, New Orleans' front office believes that Tatum can be a long-term solution for the Pelicans without Davis ( via Sports Illustrated)

"[The Celtics] know the Pelicans are enamored with Tatum, whose potential to develop into a franchise forward dwarfs that of any player the Lakers have to offer."

Since the beginning of his rookie season, Tatum has averaged 18.3 points per 36 minutes during the time he has appeared without high-usage players Irving and Gordon Hayward on the court.

At just 20 years old, the former Duke star is still adding to his game and was a key figure for the Celtics during last year's postseason run. He even had a 28-point performance against the Philadelphia 76ers.

While one would imagine he would prefer to remain in Boston for a better chance at returning the postseason, perhaps the young Celtics stud would not mind a change of scenery.

In the Anthony Davis column, I'm told Jayson Tatum has definitely been discussed in Pelicans-Celtics talks. Both sides know that he'd be a major part of the discussion in June https://t.co/5JpBR81QOS

- Sam Amick (@sam_amick) February 6, 2019

Tim MacMahon spoke to Brian Windhorst about how Tatum feels about possible trade rumors ( via ESPN):

"I was talking to about the Celtics the other day and they said the worst thing that happened to the Celtics was their success last season. Because now you've got Tatum, [ Jaylen] Brown, [Terry] Rozier - these young guys are thinking dude, we went to Game 7 of the East Finals without you, Kyrie, without you, Hayward. We're this level of player … This summer, they could be gone. They might up end in New Orleans [for Davis]. It's gossip, but the gossip is Jayson Tatum wouldn't mind if he's shipped to New Orleans and has a chance to be the face of the franchise somewhere. Because he's not going to get that opportunity in Boston, at least not in the immediate future."

His colleague Jackie MacMullan argued that Tatum could become the face of the franchise of the Celtics if there is no trade that is completed for Davis andIrvingsigns elsewhere this offseason.

But it's an interesting point considering the reluctance that Los Angeles Lakers guard Lonzo Ball has reportedly shown in a trade to the Pelicans.

If the front office in New Orleans is able to land a top pick in the upcoming draft and pull off a trade to land Tatum from Boston, it suddenly becomes at least possible that their rebuild is not as long as one would have expected.

ESPN's Zach Lowe recently reported that Jrue Holiday would be willing to stay with the organization depending on the inevitable return for Davis. He is one of the better two-way guards in the NBA.

His presence with Tatum (and whatever other assets the Pelicans land) could be enough to at least fight for a spot in the postseason, should luck and fortune favor New Orleans.

Guess it really shouldn't be surprising eh? I think sometimes I expect too much of these guys because of their positions of prominence in society... I mean the dude still is a kid, after all.

That ego's probably going to be a problem for another 6 or 7 years at a minimum.

PickernRoller
02-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Some people need to get into his ear. Ain't nobody wanna go to that sh1t hole in New Orleans. He'll be demanding a trade in 1 years time. Tatum has the chance to outlast everyone in a Celtics jersey as the best talent to keep and build around. He just needs to wait it out and improve.

CP3 gave them a big @ss long shot and they failed him. AD not dancing around too much...cashed in well and bailed.

Ben Simmons 25
02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
I agree, not to mention having a solid team around him right where he's at... but... how much can you really get in the ear of a head strong 20 year old though... really, how much?

imdaman99
02-11-2019, 11:50 PM
If Tatum goes to the Pelicans, I'm becoming a huge fan. Fk the Celtics

Big_Dogg
02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Makes sense from Tatum's perspective though, go the N.O,m get a max deal and be set up for life, then either demand a trade or leave in free agency, I know if I was him I'd be wanting the same.

Hittin_Shots
02-12-2019, 12:12 AM
What did Tatum do here thats requiring someone in his ear? sounds like the 'rumor' is if he was shipped by boston he'd be happy with being the face of a franchise? What am I missing.

Real Men Wear Green
02-12-2019, 12:59 AM
If he's included in a deal he doesn't have much say in the matter. All he could do would be to threaten to have a bad attitude. Might as well make the best of the situation if it happens.

Hittin_Shots
02-12-2019, 01:16 AM
If he's included in a deal he doesn't have much say in the matter. All he could do would be to threaten to have a bad attitude. Might as well make the best of the situation if it happens.

yea apparently he would be being a kid by being mature about being traded, no idea what OP was reading.

Ben Simmons 25
02-12-2019, 04:01 AM
yea apparently he would be being a kid by being mature about being traded, no idea what OP was reading.

He

Akrazotile
02-12-2019, 04:11 AM
He’d be happy to go to an inferior team so he can be the unquestioned best player on a team, and feed his ego.

If you don’t think that’s childish then we have differing life philosophies.

The author’s admitted source for that info was literally “gossip.”

It’s probably 100% made up speculation.

JohnnySic
02-12-2019, 06:50 AM
I'd be very surprised if Tatum is traded. Ainge is smart; he knows he can make the deal work without including Tatum.

Wally450
02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
He's going through what Kyrie went through in Cleveland. A team with a shot at making the Finals, and you're worried about wanting to be the man. He'll realize his mistake in a couple years.

PP34Deuce
02-12-2019, 10:53 AM
A 19 year old gets told he could be the face of the franchise... Then Kyrie comes along...

It's all rumors but it's very plausible he feels that way.

either way, Rozier needs to leave simply because he's not happy and has proven he can be a starter. Situation reminds me of Reggie Jackson and Westbrook.

Ultimately to get Anthony Davis, You have to put Horford, Rozier, first round picks, and Jaylen Brown, might need to include Theiss.

Ben Simmons 25
02-12-2019, 11:01 AM
He's going through what Kyrie went through in Cleveland. A team with a shot at making the Finals, and you're worried about wanting to be the man. He'll realize his mistake in a couple years.

Bingo.

Except he’s not even as good... yet... as Kyrie was in Cleveland...

This would be like Kobe being ok with being traded before he and Shaq won anything together just so that he could be the face of a team... which thankfully from an entertainment standpoint, never happened. But wow talk about shortsighted selfish immaturity.

ronniec
02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
If Tatum goes to the Pelicans, I'm becoming a huge fan. Fk the Celtics

If Celtics do really trade away Tatum (in the AD trade), probably you want to FK Danny Ainge also.

Rudeboy3
02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
It's very obvious Tatum sees himself has the man and wants his own team. Especially seeing how he got his ego inflated by the media during his rookie season. He can't be the man on the celtics because there are so many mouths to feed.

That's why he doesn't mind being traded to the Pelicans because there he can take the bulk of the shots and be the focal point. Something he can't do in boston

Real Men Wear Green
02-12-2019, 01:37 PM
He's going through what Kyrie went through in Cleveland. A team with a shot at making the Finals, and you're worried about wanting to be the man. He'll realize his mistake in a couple years.What mistake? The huge fact that this thread and the replies to it is ignoring is that Tatum is initiating none of this. He didn't demand or even request a trade. It's like people are criticizing him for not responding to the idea he could be traded with depression. What has he actually done aside from just about everything he's been asked to do and better than 90% of the 19/20 year-olds that have come into the league?

We're really going to criticize a guy for accepting the possibility of a trade?

Real Men Wear Green
02-12-2019, 01:39 PM
[quote=Ben Simmons 25]Bingo.

Except he

Wally450
02-12-2019, 04:47 PM
What mistake? The huge fact that this thread and the replies to it is ignoring is that Tatum is initiating none of this. He didn't demand or even request a trade. It's like people are criticizing him for not responding to the idea he could be traded with depression. What has he actually done aside from just about everything he's been asked to do and better than 90% of the 19/20 year-olds that have come into the league?

We're really going to criticize a guy for accepting the possibility of a trade?

Wanting to be the man on a different team while you're in the middle of a season in which the majority of the team success comes from everyone on the team. There's no real franchise player on the Celtics. Brad's philosophy is about team ball. When you get a young kid talking about wanting to be a franchise player, especially on another team, it's not a good look.

tontoz
02-12-2019, 04:59 PM
What did Tatum do here thats requiring someone in his ear? sounds like the 'rumor' is if he was shipped by boston he'd be happy with being the face of a franchise? What am I missing.

Looks like a nothingburger to me too

Real Men Wear Green
02-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Wanting to be the man on a different team while you're in the middle of a season in which the majority of the team success comes from everyone on the team. There's no real franchise player on the Celtics. Brad's philosophy is about team ball. When you get a young kid talking about wanting to be a franchise player, especially on another team, it's not a good look.Nowhere here or anywhere else does he say he wants out. Even if you assume everything in the article is true it only means that he could be happy taking on the challenge. Nowhere does he demand or even request a trade.