PDA

View Full Version : Luka Doncic vs Toni Kukoc

plowking
02-28-2019, 10:51 PM
How much do you think separates two guys like this?

I have a look at their games, and they're honestly very similar. Doncic clearly has more impact as a first option though given his role and how he came in to the league.

Tall SF's with great ball handling, great shooting (Luka more range, though possibly due to the era), passing (think Kukoc was a better passer), both good rebounders (young Toni probably better again).

Do you think given a change in circumstance, Toni could have been an 18/6/6 guy first year in the league had he not gone to the Bulls?

I think Luka has a much more individual focused, and leader mentality, which makes him so great. Kukoc probably the better athlete, though given the state of the game in the 90's more suited to the second or third option role. How does a 6'10 SF with PG abilities do today? We saw Odom have 18/10/6 type seasons. I thought Kukoc was a more diverse player than him.

Is it really just a matter of mentality that makes Doncic better, or are there parts to his game that far outweigh Kukoc's small advantages?

3ball
02-28-2019, 11:17 PM
FYI - Doncic's rookie stats destroy Lebron's

Doncic has all-nba upside while kukoc never did

Kukoc had a 0.07 WS/48 as #1 option in 99'

Kukoc wasn't all-star caliber.. odom was about the same offensively and a far better defender

Nice reach tho

plowking
02-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Is there anyone who's world doesn't revolve around MJ or LeBron that wants to comment?

Bawkish
02-28-2019, 11:35 PM
i think Kukoc would thrive in today's era much like Doncic's

i see the similarities in their skill sets particularly the ball handling, Kukoc was an underrated 3pt shooter

he's also a defender's nightmare: he's too fast for the bigs and also too big for wingmen that time

zeerghit
02-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Is there anyone who's world doesn't revolve around MJ or LeBron that wants to comment?
:roll:

And1AllDay
02-28-2019, 11:39 PM

Kukoc wasn't all-star caliber.. odom was about the same offensively and a far better defender

Nice reach tho

https://i.postimg.cc/fRx111GH/not-about-lebron.jpg

As for OP I think its a great comparison actually there are alot of similarities with the two players and only time can tell us but I think your on to something for sure

SouBeachTalents
02-28-2019, 11:40 PM
:roll: Dude is pathological

stalkerforlife
02-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Kukoc a better passer than Luka?

Ridiculous.

Luka at 19 is an elite play maker and makes dropping passes regularly.

Luka has a mental edge on nearly everyone; he has a confidence and not give a f uck attitude that can't be taught.

plowking
02-28-2019, 11:45 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/fRx111GH/not-about-lebron.jpg

As for OP I think its a great comparison actually there are alot of similarities with the two players and only time can tell us but I think your on to something for sure

Just found it interesting, as I think the SF's role has changed the least over the last 20 years of ball. Still asked to do all the same things, but it just appears they are becoming more prominent as far as how much of it they are expected to do. Given their skill sets to play big and small, I think a lot of the 2nd and 3rd options of the 80's and 90's, definitely could have been first options now.

plowking
02-28-2019, 11:49 PM

Ridiculous.

Luka has a mental edge on nearly everyone; he has a confidence and not give a f uck attitude that can't be taught.

You know he was called the Waiter for a reason?

A lot of these Yugo players don't get the credit they deserve for their court vision and passing. Good to see Luka does, but Toni was amazing. Same as Vlade. Should always be mentioned as one of the best passing big men ever.

Even Stojakovic as a shooter had some amazing court vision.

Bawkish
02-28-2019, 11:49 PM

Ridiculous.

that's not really far-fetched IMO

Kukoc was a decent passer and also has a clutch gene

he's considered the MJ of Euroleague that time, but had the unfortunate of being with the true MJ in the NBA. Well not really all that bad because he won 3 rings but had he played other than Bulls he'll definitely be an all-star in his own right

3ball
02-28-2019, 11:54 PM
I mentioned lebron to point out that Luka has the best stats of any 19 year old.. ever.. he has all-nba potential, while kukoc never did

Comparing Kukoc is a reach.. and that's obvious.. sorry to interrupt your fantasy land with reality kid.. :oldlol:

zeerghit
02-28-2019, 11:58 PM
I mentioned lebron to point out that Luka has the best stats of any 19 year old.. ever.. he has all-nba potential, while kukoc never did

Comparing Kukoc is a reach.. and that's obvious.. sorry to interrupt your fantasy land with reality kid.. :oldlol:
says the guy who doesnt watch nba..

And1AllDay
02-28-2019, 11:59 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/FRH6qrxH/tenor.gif

And1AllDay
03-01-2019, 12:00 AM

the dude really thought his name was Brandon Ingraham for like two weeks

plowking
03-01-2019, 12:18 AM

Stop posting.

You quite literally addressed none of the points highlighted in the OP.

3ball
03-01-2019, 12:19 AM
I've forgotten more about the game than you'll ever know

And I still ball.. and dominate..

Im seeing guys do "new" moves that I was doing 5 years ago.. the NBA always lags the street in handle and moves.

You ain't got that kind of knowledge son.. weren't you one of the many ignoramuses that thought ingram was trash? Or that the Cavs would be good when IT got back? what game were YOU watching..

It's amazing to me how little most know about the game.. i.e. "lebron must handle the rock because he's the best player".. :rolleyes: .. as if ball movement hasn't always gotten better shots for role players than 1 guy dominating the ball in the half court.. what a joke.. how can people enjoy something they know nothing about.. but carry on... Enjoy 3/9 bud

MrFonzworth
03-01-2019, 12:22 AM

Im seeing guys do "new" moves that I was doing 5 years ago.. the NBA always lags the street in handle and moves.

You ain't got that kind of knowledge son.. weren't you one of the many ignoramuses that thought ingram was trash? Or that the Cavs would be good when IT got back? what game were YOU watching..

It's amazing to me how little most know about the game.. i.e. "lebron must handle the rock because he's the best player".. :rolleyes: .. as if ball movement hasn't always gotten better shots for role players than 1 guy dominating the ball in the half court.. what a joke.. how can people enjoy something they know nothing about.. but carry on... Enjoy 3/9 bud
Look at this fakkit melting down about LeBron in a thread about Kukoc and Doncic:lol

3ball
03-01-2019, 12:31 AM
Look at this fakkit melting down about LeBron in a thread about Kukoc and Doncic:lol
I'm melting down?

I got 3 posters attacking me because they can't handle the truth I posted

Comparing 19-year old Luka to Toni as if it's a comparison?.. Again, enjoy your fantasy land

Odom was a greater talent than Kukoc

If you can't see that, then you don't know shit

Kukoc never had all-star potential.. 47-49% ts and horrific team when he had the reigns, AFTER winning 3 rings.. demonstrating his inferiority to 19-year old, green-ass Luka

zeerghit
03-01-2019, 12:35 AM

u got nothing and never had, end of story.

3ball
03-01-2019, 01:12 AM
u got nothing and never had, end of story.
If you knew me, you'd wish you had it like I got it

Rico2016
03-01-2019, 01:15 AM

:roll: :roll:

plowking
03-01-2019, 01:45 AM
Thread ruined by this insecure loser.

Lesson learnt by me. Don't have a thread about anyone that can compare to LeBron, or anyone who has played with Jordan or LeBron. 3ball clearly sees the hidden messages in my post as out to try and get Jordan.

Almost had him.

LeBron>Jordan.

Celtics 1825
03-01-2019, 01:46 AM
Thread ruined by this insecure loser.

Lesson learnt by me. Don't have a thread about anyone that can compare to LeBron, or anyone who has played with Jordan or LeBron. 3ball clearly sees the hidden messages in my post as out to try and get Jordan.

Almost had him.

LeBron>Jordan.
More like don't make threads at all because these guys will find a way to bring LeBron into literally ANYTHING :oldlol:

3ball
03-01-2019, 01:50 AM
In a few years, OP will pretend he never made this thread.. it will seem so ridiculous by then

If ur gonna reach, have better backup then "doncic has better handle but kukoc was the better rebounder"

Rico2016
03-01-2019, 01:51 AM
In a few years, OP will pretend he never made this thread.. it will seem so ridiculous by then

Please...just...stop...

3ball
03-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Please...just...stop...
Please.. just.. stop acting

You know this is a shit topic

Better hope the mods delete it in their next mass deletion before someone stumbles upon it in a few years.... and bumps it for shits and giggles

scuzzy
03-01-2019, 01:58 AM
2bell melting hard

3ball
03-01-2019, 02:03 AM
2bell melting hard
I'm having fun

Plowking salty as ****... :( :rant ... openly credits me with taking a dump on his thread.. and pontificates on what he'll do better next time.. :yaohappy: :oldlol:

plowking
03-01-2019, 02:08 AM

If ur gonna reach, have better backup then "doncic has better handle but kukoc was the better rebounder"

What level of schooling did you complete?

Seriously asking because you probably have some of the worst reading comprehension I've ever seen.

bigkingsfan
03-01-2019, 02:08 AM
Nick Anderson

And1AllDay
03-01-2019, 02:13 AM
2bell melting hard

2beLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:oldlol:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-01-2019, 02:36 AM
there literally isnt a single aspect of the game Kukoc plays at a higher level at than current Doncic

Bulls win 70+ multiple times and they wouldve made the ECF in 94 since Lukas game is far more complete and he wouldnt choke like Toni did

Uncle Drew
03-01-2019, 03:32 AM
If you knew me, you'd wish you had it like I got it
What D1 school did you play for again? Oh wait, you always avoid those posts like a coward.

Sakkreth
03-01-2019, 05:07 AM

Nice reach tho

The insecurity levels in this one :oldlol:

Nobody was talking about LeBron.
You don't have to dis every Jordan's teammate to make Jordan look better. Everyone understands your angle.

SpaceJam
03-01-2019, 05:29 AM
Daily 3ball cringe