PDA

View Full Version : How does Greg Oden have more potential than Dwight Howard?

Pages : [1] 2

VeeCee15
06-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Serious question.

They are both around the same height and Dwight Howard can probably jump higher.

So why the hype surrounding Oden, what makes him head and shoulders potentially better than Dwight?

Nygher
06-21-2007, 03:53 AM
Because IMO...Oden is already as good as Howard...and he hasn't even played in the NBA yet...remember...hops isn't everything

Oden will be a better defender on helping in the paint and one on one

The biggest thing he has over Howard is size. They are the same height but Oden is much thicker and wider and at one point he was weighing a muscular 275 before he was injured...I'm sure by the time he is 28 he could weight a muscular 285 or 290 which is scary

Another reason is...if Portland does keep Zach, Oden will be able to learn a lot of low post offensive moves as Zach is probably the best low post scorer in the NBA...hate it or not...so Oden will be a beast on the D and has potential to be the same on the offensive end

BradMiller52
06-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Oden's 2 inches taller, he has better post moves, he can shoot free throws, he has nice touch around the basket, etc. He has actual skills... Dwight has athleticism and strength.

RoseCity07
06-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Cause Greg Oden keeps up with point gaurds in work outs. Have you seen the video of him dribbling 2 basketballs. He's been more dominant in the post to from what I saw in the NCAA finals. He is probably going to be a better shot blocker. Oden is incredibly fast on defense. He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOL7ohUSFA

WoGiTaLiA1
06-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Because right now Howard is a solid man to man defender that gets garbage points. Oden will be at least a solid man to mand defender and a very good help defender from day 1, he should get garbage points at least as well.

He isnt a miles better prospect, but he is certainly better.

LakerWarrior12
06-21-2007, 04:42 AM
But will Greg Oden be one of those players who are injury prone?

WADE MONEY
06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.

i'm pretty sure there are very few people in NBA history that were as athletic as dwight. Off the top of my head I can say for sure Kemp and Wilt were probably there. Pippen too. Young Ewing too. James White of course.

thenextgreatbigman
06-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Because IMO...Oden is already as good as Howard...and he hasn't even played in the NBA yet...remember...hops isn't everything

The biggest thing he has over Howard is size. They are the same height but Oden is much thicker and wider and at one point he was weighing a muscular 275 before he was injured...I'm sure by the time he is 28 he could weight a muscular 285 or 290 which is scary

Another reason is...if Portland does keep Zach, Oden will be able to learn a lot of low post offensive moves as Zach is probably the best low post scorer in the NBA...hate it or not...so Oden will be a beast on the D and has potential to be the same on the offensive end
Actually howard is way bigger. And Oden was measured at 257

http://www2.indystar.com/allstars/images/greg_oden1.jpghttp://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/11/28/dhoward.jpg

Orlando Magic
06-21-2007, 09:10 AM

Oden is already as good as Howard?

He may end up better than Howard, way better.

But if Oden drops 18ppg & 12rpg next year along with shooting 60%+ from the field, I will be flat out amazed. Know why? Because he won't.

Orlando Magic
06-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Cause Greg Oden keeps up with point gaurds in work outs. Have you seen the video of him dribbling 2 basketballs. He's been more dominant in the post to from what I saw in the NCAA finals. He is probably going to be a better shot blocker. Oden is incredibly fast on defense. He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.

More athletic body than Dwight? Are you on crack? Do you know Dwight is the most athletic person in the league for his size, far and away? He outdid Ben Gordon & numerous other guards in the pre draft agility tests, by the way.

Rockets(T-mac)
Oden is just as quick if not quicker. He is better at free throws and has more post moves than Dwight and he hasn't even played a game yet. If not now Oden will better in 1 or 2 years.

Lebron23
Greg Oden is a better defender than Dwight Howard and is 2 inches taller. Oden would be the future standard that other bigmen would be compared to.

He got the skills
A better lowpost scorer
A better Shot Blocker
a higher basketball IQ
much fundamentally sound that DH.

Orlando Magic
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Oden is in no way stronger, faster, more athletic, quicker, or whatever than Dwight. There is nothing that Greg Oden does in the physical department that is superior to Dwight. The only thing that may elevate Oden above Howard as their careers progress is if Dwight does not develop his game any further than it already is, which is a distinct possibility.

allball
06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
he is a true center,better defender,has better post moves, better defensive awareness, maximizes his length yada yada. you will see soon.

The Answer
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I certainly don't think so. Dwight Howard is the best physical specimen in the NBA. No player can match his combination of size, speed and strength. With that in mind, Oden is certainly as good a prospect. He is taller and, although he's still tremendously raw, has better footwork and post play. However, that could be attributed to his one year at college, whereas Dwight came straight out of high school. Whoever said Oden's already better, though, is completely wrong. Dwight put up better numbers for the Magic than Oden did the Buckeyes.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Oden has more potential cause Chad Ford says so. :confusedshrug:

Valliant13
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Much higher basketball IQ. (and lets be honest IQ in general)
Shot better free throw with his off hand than Dwight can with his good hand.
Can play back to the basket better than Dwight all ready.
Has a Ducanesque mentality in term of learning fundamentals instead of solely relying on his freakish athleticism.

Essentially Oden seems to be smarter, a more disciplined student of the game, and he's bigger now than Dwight was at the same age. He ceiling is higher because his seems willing to compliment his freakish athletic gifts with a strong ability to learn, and very professional approach to the game.

*Obvious most of that is supposition at this point. It is however supposition that is strongly supported by the evidence at hand and widely agreed upon expert analysis.

ZHAKIDD532
06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
They'll both be good, maybe great, let's leave it at that...

I do think however, that Portland's FO seems to have its priorities straighter than Orlando's over the past year or so and they are in position to give him a better supporting cast so that might contribute to his development...

Sharas
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
howard is IMO clearly better athlete, but he has no skill at all yet. although he isn't tim duncan, oden has potential to be way better offensive player. he'll be better man-to-man defender and better shot blocker IMO.

also, as someone already said, i agree that he seems to be really willing to learn and improve, and seems like he has decent bball IQ. howard does not.

Sean77
06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
At this point, Howard's the better athlete(Oden still gets winded too early) and Oden is the more skilled player(right now Howard's go-to move is just the two-handed dunk) offensively, but who knows once Oden comes into the L. Howard might work on his post moves and shooting over the offseason. I do think Oden is in a better position for success than Howard if he goes to Portland, which he most likely will - they need a big man to complement Zach more than they need another offensive threat next to Roy.

But even Howard needed to put on more weight when he came in, so we'll see.

ballahalic
06-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Serious question.

They are both around the same height and Dwight Howard can probably jump higher.

So why the hype surrounding Oden, what makes him head and shoulders potentially better than Dwight?
he does hes going 2 be the best blocker ever in the nba just watch and see

geeWiz15
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
because Oden's taller, more mobile and is much more coordinated.

2LeTTeRS KD
06-21-2007, 02:54 PM

Height Oden 7 Howard 6'10.25
Weight Oden 257 Howard 240*
Wingspan Oden 7'4.25 Howard 7'4.5
Standing Reach Oden 9'4 Howard 9'3.5
Vert Oden 34 Howard 35.5
Lane Agility Oden 11.67 Howard 11.21
Bench Press Oden N/A Howard 7

http://www.draftexpress.com/measurements.php?year=2004&sort2=ASC&draft=100&sort=

And this is before Dwight even got into weight training, and he put up these numbers straight out of high school whereas Oden had a year of college training. Howards numbers are even more impressive since historically straight out of high schoolers have not been known to impress with there measurable at the pre-draft combine (see Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Shaun Livingston, etc.) and since joining the Magic he began working with weights seriously for the first time in his life and had gained 20 pounds before the season started that you can see on his frame as well as reportedly growing an inch. The quickness arguement also holds no weight because if you remember, which I'm sure you dont, you would know that prior to the draft Howard was hyped as being a former point guard who had a late growth spurt that supposedly had guard skills (that we still to this day haven't seen) and was even faster than Oden who you say keeps up with point guards.

Oden at this second is by no means a better prospect than Howard. Actually imo he's slightly worse because althoguh their both raw on offesne, Dwight has shown me an ability to put points on the board in the league to the tune of 18 a game shooting about 60% from the field, which we haven't yet seen that from Oden, as well as being slightly more athletic (no slight to Oden just shows how much of a beast Dwight is) as well as seeming to lack the fire and agression that I see inside Dwight.

eliteballer
06-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Oden has a better feel for the game. Has more natural basketball instincts and skills. It's like asking what makes Vince Carter and T-Mac better than James White and Darius Miles.

BFRESH44
06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Oden has a better feel for the game. Has more natural basketball instincts and skills. It's like asking what makes Vince Carter and T-Mac better than James White and Darius Miles.

http://campuslife.byu.edu/uac/reach/mainnew.jpg

i seen hippos
06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Did anyone take the seriously after reading "Dwight can probably jump higher"?

Pyro
06-21-2007, 03:13 PM

:no: Dwight is much stronger than Oden and wider to

But Oden does have better post moves

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 03:30 PM
And this is before Dwight even got into weight training, and he put up these numbers straight out of high school whereas Oden had a year of college training....
GTFOH. You trying to use logic and numbers to disprove the obvious?! That's a biatch move.

No matter what those numbers say Oden is the better prospect because everyone says so. Can't believe you h8 Oden so much you'd try and throw up FACTS to argue everyone else's THEORY. :rollingeyes:

What has the basketball world come to when someone has the nerve to question the authority of experts like Jay Bilas, Chad Ford, and Dick Vitale?

:)

Sneakerpro
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Call me crazy but I think Dwight will be a better player when their careers are over.

Collie
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah everyone must be stupid.

Rockets(T-mac)
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Call me crazy but I think Dwight will be a better player when their careers are over.
It is a possiility, but Dwight needs to show that it is a possibility. He needs to take control of the paint on offense and become a leader, he just hasn't done this yet.l

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
It is a possiility, but Dwight needs to show that it is a possibility. He needs to take control of the paint on offense and become a leader, he just hasn't done this yet.l
Cause Oden has. :rollingeyes:

dffsaf9
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Oden's 2 inches taller, he has better post moves, he can shoot free throws, he has nice touch around the basket, etc. He has actual skills... Dwight has athleticism and strength.

THREAD CLOSED!

2LeTTeRS KD
06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
howard is IMO clearly better athlete, but he has no skill at all yet. although he isn't tim duncan, oden has potential to be way better offensive player. he'll be better man-to-man defender and better shot blocker IMO.

also, as someone already said, i agree that he seems to be really willing to learn and improve, and seems like he has decent bball IQ. howard does not.

Thats untrue Dwight is the better man defender if anything Oden's advantage will be in help D.

boozehound
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
exactly, he already has better post moves than howard.

RoseCity07
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
People come up with a crappy counter argument no matter how good the other player is. Next I'm going to here that Mark Madsen is better than Tim Duncan because he is a hustle player.

sunsfan1357
06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Oden's offense was the weakest part of his game in college, yet judging from these posts I'd think he's Kevin McHale. People are just trying to remember his last game against Florida or something because Oden rarely got over 20 point in a game. Didn't he average something like 16 a game for the season?

2LeTTeRS KD
06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
People come up with a crappy counter argument no matter how good the other player is. Next I'm going to here that Mark Madsen is better than Tim Duncan because he is a hustle player.

Man stop with the bull****. If Mark Madsen was a 21 year old all-star that averaged an unreal 18 and 12 as a 3rd year player and Tim Duncan was a prospect that people where calling the best thing since sliced bread when he has shown to have the same strenghts and weaknesses as Madsen while himself being just as raw as Madsen then your comparison would make sense. But since none of that applies please come back with better responses than that.

boozehound
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Oden's offense was the weakest part of his game in college, yet judging from these posts I'd think he's Kevin McHale. People are just trying to remember his last game against Florida or something because Oden rarely got over 20 point in a game. Didn't he average something like 16 a game for the season?
do you forget hes playing with his offhand? and still shooting a reasonable % from the field and the line? I even saw him finish a scoop with his left. Howard dunks the ball like 70% of the time. Regardless of how raw Oden may be (and Ill admit he is pretty raw), Howard has no discernable skilled post moves.

boozehound
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Serious question.

first off ( I failed to address this originally), how is oden getting hyped inn any way detracting from Dwight Howard's standing? What team (outside of HOu and MIA) wouldnt want him in their paint? Its not like hes in this draft and projected in the late lottery.

RoseCity07
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Man stop with the bull****. If Mark Madsen was a 21 year old all-star that averaged an unreal 18 and 12 as a 3rd year player and Tim Duncan was a prospect that people where calling the best thing since sliced bread when he has shown to have the same strenghts and weaknesses as Madsen while himself being just as raw as Madsen then your comparison would make sense. But since none of that applies please come back with better responses than that.

Did Dwight Howard lead a college team all the way to the NCAA fnals? ...No. It's hard not to throw in the he did it with his left arm too. 15 ppg and your talking trash about his offense, Howard's career high in PPG is 17.

Greg Oden has won over 800 games and only lost 16, stupid not to think he is going to be a winner in the NBA. Dwight Howard is in the EAST and didn't do **** in the playoffs, out first round.

There is a reason no one compares Oden to Howard, and it's because he has done more than Howard did in his basketball career and even Howard is doing okay in the league.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 06:03 PM
....Greg Oden has won over 800 games and only lost 16, stupid not to think he is going to be a winner in the NBA. Dwight Howard is in the EAST and didn't do **** in the playoffs, out first round.

There is a reason no one compares Oden to Howard, and it's because he has done more than Howard did in his basketball career and even Howard is doing okay in the league.
:oldlol:

Oh, and I'm sure you can find plenty of people to co-sign your implied theory that Ohio State would beat the Detroit Pistons in a seven game series. :oldlol: :rollingeyes:

When did being a really good college player become more career success than being an All Star?

The Answer
06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Did Dwight Howard lead a college team all the way to the NCAA finals?

Dude, Dwight went straight to the NBA. How can you hold that against him?

No. It's hard not to throw in the he did it with his left arm too. 15 ppg and your talking trash about his offense, Howard's career high in PPG is 17.

What do you expect from Oden next season? I bet his rookie numbers won't be any better than Dwights. Remember, Howard's only in his third season, and his numbers have gone up every year. Oh yeah, and 15 ppg, even with an injured wrist, against mostly mediocre college frontcourts < 18 ppg against NBA competition.

Greg Oden has won over 800 games and only lost 16, stupid not to think he is going to be a winner in the NBA. Dwight Howard is in the EAST and didn't do **** in the playoffs, out first round.

True they were out the first round, but the Magic's next best players were Jameer Nelson and an aging Grant Hill. Where do you think Oden would've been with that team? He certainly couldn't have got them past the Pistons.

Oden hasn't done anything yet. I don't know what you're talking about.

The Answer
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
he does hes going 2 be the best blocker ever in the nba just watch and see

This is the type of blind, unrealistic hype that makes people think the two players don't have close maximum ceilings.

Darius
06-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Good question.

I've always thought the most important thing for a big man is soft hands... Dwight seems to have mediocre hands while Oden catches everything.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
This is the type of blind, unrealistic hype that makes people think the two players don't have close maximum ceilings.
I mean sure, he wasn't even a top 5 shot blocker in college last season, but hey you never know. :oldlol:

2LeTTeRS KD
06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Good question.

I've always thought the most important thing for a big man is soft hands... Dwight seems to have mediocre hands while Oden catches everything.

Good point and honestly I can't really judge how good Howard's hands are seeing that the men throwing him entry passes his whole career have been Steve Francis and Jameer Nelson, neither being among the purest of point guards when Oden has always had Mike Conley. Hopefully under Stan Van Gundy Diener can get a little PT and we can see if Howard really doesn't have the hands or it was the men passing him the ball.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
At least Dwight didn't stink it up so bad in a predraft workout that he apologized to the coaches conducting it. :oldlol:

Cheap shot I know but to me that's funny.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Good question.

Yet, you can make a two plus minute long highlight reel of Howard catching ridiculous one-handed alley-oops so calling his hands mediocre is a stretch.

The Answer
06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Howard dunks the ball like 70% of the time. Regardless of how raw Oden may be (and Ill admit he is pretty raw), Howard has no discernable skilled post moves.

Most of Oden's points also came off dunks, and Howard's post game would've looked pretty good against college frountcourts as well. I admit Oden's more skilled, but it's by no means a huge margin, and not necessarily enough to make up for Dwight's superior rebounding and athleticism. Truthfully, they're both quite close as prospects, and I don't see why people disagree.

Yet, you can make a two plus minute long highlight reel of Howard catching ridiculous one-handed alley-oops so calling his hands mediocre is a stretch.

Indeed. Dwight is being heavily underrated in order to prove that Oden's far and away more talented.

sunsfan1357
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Oden didn't play with his off hand the whole season did he? I'm pretty sure I remember his hand being healed up a couple weeks after the regular season started.

Day La Ghetto
06-21-2007, 07:51 PM
THREAD CLOSED!
So what ? Adam Morrison had a jumpshot in college and can't find it in the NBA. Most of the time guys don't make the move into the NBA very well right off the bat, and some because they can't compete with superior talent. Put Dwight in college basketball and he'll eat defenses alive. NBA he can basically only scrap points together.

boozehound
06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Oden didn't play with his off hand the whole season did he? I'm pretty sure I remember his hand being healed up a couple weeks after the regular season started.
uhm, no he missed the first part of the season and came back with his left. his right wrist is still not fully healed.

i seen hippos
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
At least Dwight didn't stink it up so bad in a predraft workout that he apologized to the coaches conducting it. :oldlol:

Cheap shot I know but to me that's funny.

You hate Oden more than I hate Durant. :roll:

At least I find actual things to nit pick about.

2LeTTeRS KD
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
uhm, no he missed the first part of the season and came back with his left. his right wrist is still not fully healed.

In my eyes thats anotehr negative for Oden. Dwights never been hurt whereas Oden hasn't been healthy for over a year and theres thoughts that that wrist may never be 100% healthy.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Not accurate. His hand has been healed since Nov. and full range of motion since Jan/Feb.

You hate Oden more than I hate Durant.

At least I find actual things to nit pick about.:roll: I don't hate Oden at all. Just hate how insanely over-rated he's become.

Dude only faced NBA caliber bigs about 4 times last season and didn't look special in any of those meetings except for the second half of the title game. Yet people are saying he's better than some NBA All Stars right now.

VeeCee15
06-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I just see Dwight Howard being better in the long run.

I mean the MAIN hype surrounding Greg Oden is that he is a 7 footer with athleticism that comes around once every 10 years. There's too much hype!

Dwight Howard is an INCH shorter than Greg Oden and he has superior athleticism...so ...

boozehound
06-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Not accurate. His hand has been healed since Nov. and full range of motion since Jan/Feb.

then why was he flagged at draft for less than full range of motion in his wrist (plus a bulging disc already)?

wouldnt participate in the benchpress cause his wrist isnt fully healed (could re-injure it).

Orlando Magic
06-21-2007, 10:29 PM
In my eyes thats anotehr negative for Oden. Dwights never been hurt whereas Oden hasn't been healthy for over a year and theres thoughts that that wrist may never be 100% healthy.

Dwight sprained an ankle against the Lakers but came back to play in the next game.

Brian Hill is a dick. He stopped Dwight's streak of starts. Basically the dude has started every possible game his team has played in his career. He was pissed at Dwight for something or other and pulled him off the bench. Ass. Still hasn't missed a game though.

Da KO King
06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
then why was he flagged at draft for less than full range of motion in his wrist (plus a bulging disc already)?

wouldnt participate in the benchpress cause his wrist isn't fully healed (could re-injure it).
Maybe he reinjured the wrist during March Madness cause the announcers made a big deal about the wrist finally getting to normal range of motion right in time for the home stretch of the Big 10 season. Unless the doctors for Ohio State were bullsh#tting to keep Oden's stock higher than Kevin Durant's.

Where the hell Oden got a bulging disc in his back I have no clue. Honestly, that did surprised me.

Collie
06-22-2007, 02:36 AM
You know he's gonna have a great career because he almost has as many hatres as Lebron did when he was drafted (no jumpshot, terrible summer league, etc.) :oldlol:

Take Your Lumps
06-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Dwight averaged almost 18ppg last season with an extremely raw offensive game and horrendous free-throw shooting.

His game is coming along though and should see even more improvement under SVG.

Easy choice.

I can't sit here and say I'd rather build a team tomorrow around Oden when I also have Dwight as an option. Sorry.

RoseCity07
06-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Dwight averaged almost 18ppg last season with an extremely raw offensive game and horrendous free-throw shooting.

His game is coming along though and should see even more improvement under SVG.

Easy choice.

I can't sit here and say I'd rather build a team tomorrow around Oden when I also have Dwight as an option. Sorry.

17.6 ppg on a crappy team like Orlando? How did they ever win a game. Oden wins games plain and simple, Dwight Howard seems nice, but Oden is bigger and faster. Oden is a real defensive specialist and that's important.

sunsfan1357
06-22-2007, 03:29 AM
17.6 ppg on a crappy team like Orlando? How did they ever win a game. Oden wins games plain and simple, Dwight Howard seems nice, but Oden is bigger and faster. Oden is a real defensive specialist and that's important.

Oden's won games in the NBA already :confusedshrug:

Howard won 40 games with Jameer Nelson, over the hill Hill, Darko, Hedo and whatever other crappy players they have. In the East or not Howard was the reason they were in the playoffs.

RoseCity07
06-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Hedo is pretty good, but Darko has been a huge bust. I'll have to play more attention to Howard next year, but I have been impressed by watching Oden's games. I don't usually get impressed by the way centers play either. Shaq was cool because he is the only guy that would back people down and jam on them one hand. It's just not common anymore though.

The two players that I feel get too much credit are Gilbert Arenas and Howard though. They only got this mega attention because they hit game winners. At least Howard didn't embarrass himself like Arenas with all that trash talking.

ODEN RULES
06-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Give me Oden any seconds........................:applause:
Dwight is overrated & overhype :hammerhead:

RoseCity07
06-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Give me Oden any seconds........................:applause:
Dwight is overrated & overhype :hammerhead:

Lol @ your name, no ones going to think your biased. I agree though.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-22-2007, 07:18 AM
It's not a big gap.

Dwight is a better athlete. Oden is a better thinker. Physically they are very even though, Oden probably has better hands and slightly more refined post movement, Dwight is bigger and stronger.

Next year is a huge year for Dwight though, he has to become more assertive offensively and start demanding the ball, he really needs to be at the kind of level Hakeem was as a rookie next year. He also needs to get far more active on defense. For a guy with his gifts he is a poor help defender and gets beaten far to often man to man.

Oden is an interesting one. I personally think he is about where Okafor was as a rookie, probably slightly behind, which would put him at close to the level Howard was as a rookie. I think he is about half way in between them, he obviously has a lot of potential and it is true that he probably has the best footwork at his age since probably Shaq, certainly since Duncan. What he makes of that footwork is another story altogether, but having it there in the first place is a great start.

AtTheDriveIn
06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I just see Dwight Howard being better in the long run.

I mean the MAIN hype surrounding Greg Oden is that he is a 7 footer with athleticism that comes around once every 10 years. There's too much hype!

Dwight Howard is an INCH shorter than Greg Oden and he has superior athleticism...so ...

You make yourself sound pretty stupid right here man. There has been MANY MANY guys who are 7 feet tall with athleticism that come into the league pretty much every year.

Height doesn't matter either, you think an inch means anything in the NBA. If it did, Yao Ming would be averaging 50 and 20 because he's so much 'taller' then everyone else.

Give me Oden any seconds........................
Dwight is overrated & overhype

Typical response from someone whose user name is ODEN RULES. Care to explain this? The one being overhyped this entire time is easily and obviously Oden. You have people in here saying 15ppg in college is better then 17ppg in the NBA. You have people already calling him a superstar when it's obvious they haven't even watched him play, but they're just going off what everyone else is saying about him and a couple statistics.'

By the way, whats with all the talk about how Oden is so much better because he played an entire season with his left hand and how he's going to dominate because of this? Has anyone ever though that playing an entire season with your LEFT hand might impact on how you play with your RIGHT hand?

Hedo is pretty good, but Darko has been a huge bust. I'll have to play more attention to Howard next year, but I have been impressed by watching Oden's games. I don't usually get impressed by the way centers play either. Shaq was cool because he is the only guy that would back people down and jam on them one hand. It's just not common anymore though.

Yeah, you should watch the Magic more. Hedo has been average and extra streaky this year. One night he'll give you 20 points on 10-12 shooting, next time he'll get you 3 points on 1-7 shooting, with the only shot he made was a 3 pointer in the first quarter of the game.

Have you seen Darko lately? Did anyone take time to watch the Magic play in the 4 games against Detroit in the playoffs? Darko was really playing quite well. He knew what he was doing on the court, he was defending whoever he had to defend (usually Webber or Mcdyess) quite well, and he put up some nice numbers. He's still only 21 years old and it's still early to call him a BUST. Sure, any time might've gotten more value had they taken Wade or Bosh or Hinrich, but he's not a bust, just when he was drafted, he was a little overhyped.

Shaq has post moves. Have a look at some of his earlier games in his career.

The two players that I feel get too much credit are Gilbert Arenas and Howard though. They only got this mega attention because they hit game winners. At least Howard didn't embarrass himself like Arenas with all that trash talking.

The guy hit an alley oop on the buzzer on top of Tim Duncan, as if you wouldn't give him recognition for it, but it's not like anyone is saying 'Oh, He's an awesome player now because he made one alley oop.'

JohnnyBravo5
06-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Because the basketball media has been sucking Oden's d#ck for so long they can't accept anyone being a better player. I am sure there are people who think Oden is better than Duncan or will be eventually despite having no evidence whatsoever.

abuC
06-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Oden is a natural center, and has been one all his life, he looks comfortable with his back to the basket.

Dwight had a late growth spurt, the majority of his life he was a guard, he didnt turn into a post player until 10th or 11th grade, he does not look comfortable with his back to the basket.

Younggrease
12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Greg Oden is a better defender than Dwight Howard and is 2 inches taller. Oden would be the future standard that other bigmen would be compared to.

He got the skills
A better lowpost scorer
A better Shot Blocker
a higher basketball IQ
much fundamentally sound that DH.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sharas
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
a great bump:applause: :oldlol:

2LeTTeRS KD
12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Damn reading my posts in this thread I spoke the truth abought Dwight even back in June. Dwight >>> any young big in the league, case closed.

Da KO King
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Damn reading my posts in this thread I spoke the truth abought Dwight even back in June. Dwight >>> any young big in the league, case closed.
No he's not. Oden is still better than him. :D

Uchiha_Hai
12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I love it.

brandonislegend
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
dwight > oden imo.

VCMVP1551
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
If you compare them physically Oden probably has the edge.

Greg Oden
Height: 6'11"
Weight: 285
Wingspan: 7'4.25"
Standing Reach: 9'4"
Max Vertical: 34

Dwight Howard:
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 275
Wingspan: 7'4.5"
Standing Reach: 9'3.5"
Max Vertical: 38.5"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2004&sort2=ASC&draft=15&sort=

I know Dwight's vertical was measured 35.5" inches but simple math tells you that if a man with a 9'3.5" standing reach can touch 12'6" high that his vertical must be atleast 38.5". I also know Oden weighed 257 lbs at the pre-draft camp but it is well documented that he gained 28 pounds. Anyway from a physical standpoint Oden may have the edge but from a basketball standpoint you have to give the edge to Dwight and that is what counts. Dwight is already an MVP candidate.

The Answer
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Nice bump, Younggrease. A lot of people were really overhyping Oden and underrating Howard in this thread.

If you compare them physically Oden probably has the edge.

Greg Oden
Height: 6'11"
Weight: 285
Wingspan: 7'4.25"
Standing Reach: 9'4"
Max Vertical: 34

Dwight Howard:
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 275
Wingspan: 7'4.5"
Standing Reach: 9'3.5"
Max Vertical: 38.5"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2004&sort2=ASC&draft=15&sort=

I know Dwight's vertical was measured 35.5" inches but simple math tells you that if a man with a 9'3.5" standing reach can touch 12'6" high that his vertical must be atleast 38.5". I also know Oden weighed 257 lbs at the pre-draft camp but it is well documented that he gained 28 pounds. Anyway from a physical standpoint Oden may have the edge but from a basketball standpoint you have to give the edge to Dwight and that is what counts. Dwight is already an MVP candidate.

Wait, how is Oden better even from a physical standpoint? If, like you say, he truly has put on 28 pounds, do you really believe he'll still have that nice 34" vertical when he returns? Of course not. Even before Oden bulked up Dwight was still faster, quicker, and more explosive. Significantly increasing his weight, particularly during a time of recovery from a serious knee injury, will only further add to that disparity. The only thing Oden has on him is height. That is simply not enough to justify his physical superiority.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
BYNUM IS GOING TO BE BETTER THEN BOTH HOWARD AND ODEN......7.1 ht 300 pounds......does anyone have his actual measurements?

LA.MJ&KB#1
12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
BYNUM IS GOING TO BE BETTER THEN BOTH HOWARD AND ODEN......7.1 ht 300 pounds......does anyone have his actual measurements?

:applause: I agree but, they would expect us to say that. Another time and Another place bro.

steve
12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
It's only reasonable for Lakers fans to think that Bynum is going to light the world on fire (of course they also thought the same thing when they aquired Kwame Brown). As far as Howard being better than Oden, god I'd hope so, he's been in the league for over three years now. if he didn't make the jump this season then he'd start getting stuck in the "good player but not a great player" argument.

VCMVP1551
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM

He measured 7'0.25" barefoot with a 7'6" wingspan and a 9'4" standing reach when he entered the league. He has now grown to 7'1".

geeWiz15
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure if the question has been answered in 82 posts. probably has. but the answer is coordination, offensive awareness, and length. DHo doesn't really have any of the 3 in copious amounts. he's got EVERYTHING else in spades... but he has weaknesses. Greg Oden doesn't have any weaknesses that he doesn't have the ability to improve upon. but no matter what Howard does he'll never have offensive awareness, coordination, and length at an elite level.

and keep in mind that's just potential. Oden wasn't half the player on the college scale that Howard is on the NBA scale. he's the better player. but Oden has more potential. difference isn't that great and I definitely wouldn't trade Howard for Oden because Howard is already there and can improve still.

The Answer
12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure if the question has been answered in 82 posts. probably has. but the answer is coordination, offensive awareness, and length. DHo doesn't really have any of the 3 in copious amounts. he's got EVERYTHING else in spades... but he has weaknesses. Greg Oden doesn't have any weaknesses that he doesn't have the ability to improve upon. but no matter what Howard does he'll never have offensive awareness, coordination, and length at an elite level.

and keep in mind that's just potential. Oden wasn't half the player on the college scale that Howard is on the NBA scale. he's the better player. but Oden has more potential. difference isn't that great and I definitely wouldn't trade Howard for Oden because Howard is already there and can improve still.

First off, Greg Oden didn't show any particularly great offensive awareness last season. Secondly, according to VCMVP's post, Oden's wingspan is shorter and his standing reach is only half an inch longer, so I'm not sure I see the edge in length you're referring to either. As for the coordination, well, I suppose I'll give that to you.

2LeTTeRS KD
12-11-2007, 10:22 PM

When has Oden ever struck you as incredibly coordinated? Or aware on offense? I know he was good but he never showed those skills, especially not in the amounts that Howard who has shown himself to catch any lob no matter how far away from the basket with either hand no matter whose defending him. Or leaking to the basket any time one of his teamates drive the lane giving his teamates the option to throw him an alley for an easy 2 no matter the defense while also normally taking away the opposing teams best shot blocker who doesn't dare leave Dwight to help on D because he knows if he does the plays going to be on Sportscenter. Oden has never shown the coordination and awareness on offense to do either of those things and we're supposed to believe he has more potential than Howard who has made both of these plays that only a handful of players in the league can do a routine thing.

HeyIt'sMe
12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Howard doesn't have elite length? A 6'10 player with a 7'4.5 inch wingspan and 9'3.5 standing reach I'd consider pretty damn long.

2LeTTeRS KD
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Wasn't it reported that Howard grew an inch to 6'11 between his 1st and 2nd season anyway? 6'11 and 260 lbs is pretty elite size for a center, bigger than Hakeem, Ewing, Tim Duncan, and a lot of others. I don't think an extra inch would make Oden a better prospect either.

steve
12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
You know, shouldn't we wait until Oden's able to get on the court again before we make any more assumptions. Because right now, it's just a one sided argument.

Y2Gezee
12-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Oden has more defensive potential IMO... that is all.

I don't think Oden was ever or will ever be a consistent 20ppg guy, maybe once or 2x, but mostly a 17-18 range guy. Pretty good rebounder, but the defense was where he was to make his mark as one of the best

RoseCity07
12-12-2007, 05:00 AM

I know I already posted after you but this is true.

RoseCity07
12-12-2007, 05:01 AM
I also would like to add that Greg Oden is far stronger than Dwight Howard. That is something a lot of people just don't seem to understand.

Safety20
12-12-2007, 05:07 AM
For me to compare Oden to Dwight ill have to see a great season out of him, with numbers consisting of AT LEAST 15 ppg and 10 rpg.

As of now, Dwight is on another level.

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Wasn't it reported that Howard grew an inch to 6'11 between his 1st and 2nd season anyway? 6'11 and 260 lbs is pretty elite size for a center, bigger than Hakeem, Ewing, Tim Duncan, and a lot of others. I don't think an extra inch would make Oden a better prospect either.

I never heard that besides Ewing is 6'11" barefoot, Howard was measured at just 6'9" barefoot while Hakeem is 6'10.25" and Duncan is 6'10.5".

Optimus Prime
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Greg Oden does not have more potential than Dwight Howard. Oden is already 40.

:oldlol:

Sorry, I had to. And yes, I know this thread is old.

But really, Howard > Oden now and forever!

HeyIt'sMe
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I also would like to add that Greg Oden is far stronger than Dwight Howard. That is something a lot of people just don't seem to understand.

Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, Captain Homer.

Younggrease
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Im not sure if your joking or not...Oden wasnt even beasting in the NCAAs...and he was playing little dudes..Howard came in as a rookie beasting grown men...

bringthetruth
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Dwight Howard is a God fearing man who will dominate for yrs to come.

This is one of the reasons why he's not out there abusing his body drinking and clubbing.:rockon:

JohnnySic
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I love Howard's game - he could be the most dominant big in the league already. He is every bit the "big" equivalent of LeBron James - among the young (under 25) players in the league, those 2 stand out.

That said, Oden will destroy him one day. Oden is taller and has a bigger frame, so he will be stronger. Oden also has a true center's game, where as Howard is a 4. Oden will be a bigger force defensively as well, and will be harder to defend once his offense rounds out. Really, this is like comparing Shaq with 'Zo in thier early years........Zo was a beast, but Shaq was........Shaq.

yeaaaman
12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Really, this is like comparing Shaq with 'Zo in thier early years........Zo was a beast, but Shaq was........Shaq.

wtf?? how is it like comparing Shaq with Zo when howard is an early favourite for league MVP and oden has yet to play 1 game in the nba... what has he done in the NBA so far to prove his greatness over howard?

jamal99
12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Oden will never be better than Dwight...
He injured knee for whole season and he won't be the same when he's back. Dwight's got whole season ahead of him and maybe he'll be MVP. So my vote to Dwight...

Of course I'm going to be better than both of them...

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
At first when Dwight switched to center I thought he was too short at 6'9" buit his massive wingspan, standing reach, incredible strength and amazing athletisism actually give him a huge advantage at that position.

HeyIt'sMe
12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Howard's at least 6'10.

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Howard's at least 6'10.

Looks like it but no he measured just 6'9". He is barely over 6'10" in shoes.

Da KO King
12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure if the question has been answered in 82 posts. probably has. but the answer is coordination, offensive awareness, and length.....
:rolleyes:

I hate to be the jerk who "calls people out" but I honestly don't believe you've watched Greg Oden more than maybe twice.

Your opinion on Oden's versus Dwight Howard's coordination and length plus the fact that you've admitted in the past to not being a big NCAA watcher leads me to believe that you are came to conclusion based on one, at most two, games of Oden's and some reports you read.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
There sure are a lot of future telling going on around here. As of right now Oden has been hobbled with injuries and if u look at the past it doesn't fair well with bigs.

Lets wait and see Oden play 1 game before we start comparing to the best big in the game right now

HeyIt'sMe
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Looks like it but no he measured just 6'9". He is barely over 6'10" in shoes.

Well, you play basketball in shoe's, so Dwight's at least 6'10. Additionally, there have been various reports that Howard grew during his first season in the league and that he's now close or at 6'11 (with shoes on). Al Horford was listed at nearly 6'10 in shoes at the combine, and when he matched up against Dwight the other day, he looked significantly shorter than Howard. Take it FWIW.

'Toine=MVP
12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
i skipped most of this thread, but portland would trade oden and more to orlando to get howard.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Howard is 6"11 with shoes that was when he was 19

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, you play basketball in shoe's, so Dwight's at least 6'10. Additionally, there have been various reports that Howard grew during his first season in the league and that he's now close or at 6'11 (with shoes on). Al Horford was listed at nearly 6'10 in shoes at the combine, and when he matched up against Dwight the other day, he looked significantly shorter than Howard. Take it FWIW.

Yeah but I go by barefoot heights. Many players are listed their barefoot heights...Shaq, Bosh, Garnett, Durant ect. Anyway Howard being a little short at the C position doesn't hurt him at all because of the other advantages I mentioned.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah but I go by barefoot heights. Many players are listed their barefoot heights...Shaq, Bosh, Garnett, Durant ect. Anyway Howard being a little short at the C position doesn't hurt him at all because of the other advantages I mentioned.
Howard is anywhere from 6"11 to 7"0 that by any means isnt undersized

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Howard is anywhere from 6"11 to 7"0 that by any means isnt undersized

Howard is 6'9" barefoot and 6'10.25" in shoes.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/VCMVP1551/73356959.jpg

Despite Howard being closer to the camera and Shaq not even standing up close to straight while Howard has great posture and Shaq is still much taller. Shaq is 7'1" barefoot and 7'2.75" in shoes btw.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/VCMVP1551/73364122.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/VCMVP1551/73364054.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/VCMVP1551/71623527.jpg

Chris Bosh is 6'10.25" barefoot and 6'11.5" in shoes. Chris is about an inch taller atleast

This is a quote from Dwight about his height when asked right before switching to the center position in 2006

"No way, I'm barely 6-10 in shoes, hedo is taller than me, people percieve me as taller because i am big this way (across his chest)."

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
^ Those pics are old with Bosh, he was 18 in those pics. I'll try and find em but there is 1 with tyson chandler were tyson had a centimeter on Howard.

Also doctors said with Dwights bone structure he could reach 7"1 that was 3 years ago so Dwights at least 6"11 now

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
The all star pictures with Bosh are from 07'. Dwight wasn't an all star until then and the other picture is form 2006.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Those snap shots r at angles and Dwights standing a little in front of Bosh not doing him justice

Plus Shaq doesn't look 3 inches taller in that pic

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Those snap shots r at angles and Dwights standing a little in front of Bosh not doing him justice

Plus Shaq doesn't look 3 inches taller in that pic

What the hell are you talking about? Shaq isn't even standing up straight and Dwight is closer to the camera and Shaq is still taller. If Shaq was standing up straight you could see Dwight's head would be up to Shaq's eyebrows. That usually means he is 4.5" inches shorter. Shaq is 7'2.75" in shoes and Dwight is 6'10.25" in shoes that is a 4 inch advantage. Bosh is clearly taller too.

Lebron23
12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Dwight Howard is the same height as Kevin Durant both are measured at 6'9" without shoes in the NBA Draft Camp.

Highschool Phenom Greg Monroe is taller than both of them he is a legit 6'10".

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Shaq isn't even standing up straight and Dwight is closer to the camera and Shaq is still taller. If Shaq was standing up straight you could see Dwight's head would be up to Shaq's eyebrows. That usually means he is 4.5" inches shorter. Shaq is 7'2.75" in shoes and Dwight is 6'10.25" in shoes that is a 4 inch advantage. Bosh is clearly taller too.
Shaq's right leg is locked so theres no way if he were to stand straight up he would be 4 inches taller:hammerhead:

When you look at a player profile it shoes height with shoes cus that how they play

When Dwight steps out on the court hes 6"11

END OF STORY

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Shaq's right leg is locked so theres no way if he were to stand straight up he would be 4 inches taller:hammerhead:

When you look at a player profile it shoes height with shoes cus that how they play

When Dwight steps out on the court hes 6"11

END OF STORY

Dwight is equal to a 6'11"-7'0" guy because of strength, athletisism and wingspan but in reality he is 6'9" if you go by barefoot heights and 6'10" if you go by height in shoes. Those are facts but he plays much bigger.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Dwight is equal to a 6'11"-7'0" guy because of strength, athletisism and wingspan but in reality he is 6'9" if you go by barefoot heights and 6'10" if you go by height in shoes. Those are facts but he plays much bigger.
Bro let it go.....

He is listed at 6"11 on every site espn, yahoo, nba even has him 6"11/ 2,11. So nba.com or vcmvp1551?

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Bro let it go.....

He is listed at 6"11 on every site espn, yahoo, nba even has him 6"11/ 2,11. So nba.com or vcmvp1551?

Everyone knows players choose what to be listed at. Josh Howard was listed 6'7" for years but now listed 6'5". He can pass for 6'11" but he isn't.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Everyone knows players choose what to be listed at. Josh Howard was listed 6'7" for years but now listed 6'5". He can pass for 6'11" but he isn't.
Dwight is 6"11 but plays like he's 7'5 (back to topic at hand) and will be Odens father for the next 10 years

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Dwight is 6"11 but plays like he's 7'5 (back to topic at hand) and will be Odens father for the next 10 years

You are very stupid. By saying he plays like he's 7'5" you mean he plays like Yao? Dwight is 6'9" if you go by barefoot height and 6'10" if you go by height in shoes. End of discussion.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 06:01 PM
You are very stupid. By saying he plays like he's 7'5" you mean he plays like Yao? Dwight is 6'9" if you go by barefoot height and 6'10" if you go by height in shoes. End of discussion.
23 pts 15 reb 3blks actually he plays better than yao so he plays like hes 7'6 sorry

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
23 pts 15 reb 3blks actually he plays better than yao so he plays like hes 7'6 sorry

That makes no sense. 32.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 8.0 apg is better than that...what did Jordan play like he was 7'7"?

johndeeregreen
12-12-2007, 06:10 PM
This reminds me of 2005 when I said Al Jefferson would be as good as Bosh someday and I was ripped on for it. Popular opinion doesn't mean jack on a site like ISH.

MoPizzlez
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
That makes no sense. 32.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 8.0 apg is better than that...what did Jordan play like he was 7'7"?
Ur getting dumber and dumber as this goes on

Jordan never avg 15 reb are 3blks so how did he play like a big man at 7"7(not talkin bout ast. big men arent good passers)

VCMVP1551
12-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Ur getting dumber and dumber as this goes on

Jordan never avg 15 reb are 3blks so how did he play like a big man at 7"7(not talkin bout ast. big men arent good passers)

How does a 7'6" guy play? The only guys around 7'6" have been yao, bradley, muresean and bol so saying Dwight plays 7'6" means he plays like those guys which he doesn't. Dwight plays like a legit 7 footer.

Gotterdammerung
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I hate to state the Painfully Obvious, but when someone "plays bigger than he is," and if its someone who's 6-10, and he is said to play like a 7-5 guy, it doesn't mean he plays exactly like a certain 7-5 guy.

Guys who play bigger than they are can rebound against taller players, post against larger or stronger players, and defend bigger guys.

Tim Duncan, for example, is 6-10, but he has the reach of a 7-3 normal guy. That's why he plays bigger than he is, with that reach. :)

fiad06
10-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I stumbled upon this page and the love fest for Oden is pretty funny! I cant believe people think he is better than Dwight.:lol

Kiddlovesnets
10-21-2008, 02:19 AM
1. Dwight Howard is older.
2. Dwight Howard is undersized.
3. Dwight Howard will never ever develop the ability to shoot even 7 foot jumpers, he's merely a dunker offensively.

chains5000
10-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Serious question.

The only thing that matters...:rolleyes:

I'm not saying Oden has more potential than Howard, but that's just retarded.

WildStyle
10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Dwight sucks. Oden is god.

sick_brah07
10-21-2008, 08:41 AM
kobe = GOAT......who is this mj guy?

ihatetmac2524
10-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Wow this is disrespectful to Howard. Greg Oden could be great, yeah, but to say he's already better than Howard who averaged 20 and 13 last year is crazy. Don't judge him based on the Olympics.

tontoz
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM

That is pretty much it. Oden can shoot foul shots left handed better than Howard can right handed.

People are forgetting that Oden tested like a small forward athletically at the combine. His time in the sprint (3.27) was better than Jeff Green (3.34), Julian Wright (3.36), and Crittenton (3.32),

Howard can't shoot outside 3 feet and is a turnover machine. He isn't exactly known for his defensive effort either.

tontoz
10-21-2008, 10:07 AM
As for their official measurements Oden was measured as 6'11" barefoot

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2007

while Howard was measured at 6'9" barefoot.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2004&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

tontoz
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Bro let it go.....

LOL the NBA is notorious for exaggerating player heights. Just on the Hawks Josh Smith measured 6'7" barefoot but is listed at 6'9". Ditto Marvin Williams. Childress was measured as 6'5.75" barefoot but was listed at 6'8".

abuC
10-21-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL the NBA is notorious for exaggerating player heights. Just on the Hawks Josh Smith measured 6'7" barefoot but is listed at 6'9". Ditto Marvin Williams. Childress was measured as 6'5.75" barefoot but was listed at 6'8".

The heights listed at places like NBA.com or ESPN are those with shoes.

A.M.G.
10-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Oden is 2 inches taller, stronger (at least he looks stronger, he may actually have bulked up TOO much) and more skilled.

The things Dwight does have on him are athleticism, lack of injuries, and several years of actual NBA experience. Dwight is an established player.

ihatetimthomas
10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Obviously a guy who has been hyped as much as Oden and hasnt played a game is going to heralded as a player with more "potential" than an established NBA player.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Oden is 2 inches taller, stronger (at least he looks stronger, he may actually have bulked up TOO much) and more skilled.

The things Dwight does have on him are athleticism, lack of injuries, and several years of actual NBA experience. Dwight is an established player.

This thread is ridiculous Oden has yet to play a game yet and some people are saying he is better than Dwight Howard, this is what makes you want Oden to fail so all his jock riders look like morons, But he will be a good player but how about we wait i dunno maybe a full season before we start breaking out these statements

tontoz
10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
The heights listed at places like NBA.com or ESPN are those with shoes.

Some people (like Joe Johnson and Iggy) are listed at their height without shoes. Some are listed at their height with shoes and some heights are just flat out exaggerated.

Childress and Iggy measured the exact same height at the combine

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2004&sort2=DESC&draft=15&pos=0&sort=

so why was Childress listed 2" taller?

*crickets*

tontoz
10-21-2008, 12:14 PM
This thread is ridiculous Oden has yet to play a game yet and some people are saying he is better than Dwight Howard, this is what makes you want Oden to fail so all his jock riders look like morons, But he will be a good player but how about we wait i dunno maybe a full season before we start breaking out these statements

Wow that was the runon sentence from hell.

BTW you might want to look up the definition of the word potential. When Howard was drafted there was a lot of debate whether he or Okafor should be the first pick. If Oden had come out that year there would have been no debate at all.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow that was the runon sentence from hell.

BTW you might want to look up the definition of the word potential. When Howard was drafted there was a lot of debate whether he or Okafor should be the first pick. If Oden had come out that year there would have been no debate at all.

haha yeah I tend to forgot to end my sentence at times as you probably noticed. But anyways I clearly know what potential means, and I know that the first round draft pick of last year is going to get alot of hype(considering he is a beast). And who would you take now Okafor or Howard?(answer is clear). And your right they probably would have drafted Oden first but that means nothing except for more potential but Howard is still young, Howard is already a very good player and still can learn something. Can you imagine Howard with a post game? or a jumper he would be insane. Oden could very well turn out to be better than Howard who knows but he has not played an NBA game so when you see people talking about he is going to be better then
him for sure then you have to step in. Potential is one thing, but you cant just assume he is going to be as good as he can be.

Sharas
10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
my gut feeling is that, when everything is said and done, oden will be considered a better player.

let's face it, dwight is probably never going to be a go-to scorer. that's where i think oden has the main advantage. his post skills are already better, even though dwight is three years his senior and has four years of NBA play under his belt. his free throws are better, his moves are better and his off hand is miles better. if everything goes well for oden, the only area dwight will be better is going to be rebounding. dwight's man-to-man defense isn't really all that, and i can easily see oden being better there too if he develops right...and i see no reason for him not to really, if not for injuries. he's a extremely hard worker, and has a nearly perfect situation for young player in portland.

2LeTTeRS
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
my gut feeling is that, when everything is said and done, oden will be considered a better player.

let's face it, dwight is probably never going to be a go-to scorer. that's where i think oden has the main advantage. his post skills are already better, even though dwight is three years his senior and has four years of NBA play under his belt. his free throws are better, his moves are better and his off hand is miles better. if everything goes well for oden, the only area dwight will be better is going to be rebounding. dwight's man-to-man defense isn't really all that, and i can easily see oden being better there too if he develops right...and i see no reason for him not to really, if not for injuries. he's a extremely hard worker, and has a nearly perfect situation for young player in portland.

I disagree. Oden's game is just as raw offensively as Dwight. He won't be able to put up Dwight type numbers because Dwight is the man in Orlando and Oden hasn't proven he can do that. Dwight scored 21 a game last year in the NBA with hardly no skills. People seem to not realize how amazing that is, and personally I'll take production over skill anyday.

And also speaking about skills, I refuse to believe Dwight at 22 is done developing. Big men (especially those with Dwight's freak athleticism and quickness) normally take longer to learn the game because they've been able to dominate just off physical ability for so long. Just off his hands (which before last year people said were only average, just to find out that he possibly has the best hands in the league for a big) and athleticism Dwight will continue to give you 20 a game for the rest of the career, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Look at other big men Amare Stoudemiire, Shawn Kemp and Karl Malone (and to a lesser extent his big man coach Patrick Ewigng and Hakeem Olajuwon) as guys who came in the league pretty raw offensively, and over the course of there careers developed into some of the more skilled bigs in the league. Give Dwight a few more years before you count him out as just a guy you can't run an offense through.

statman32
10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
While I obviously wouldnt take Oden over Amare/Dwight today, I do think he can be better than them and thats saying a lot. I get hyped watching Oden block shots and play defense like I get hyped watching Amare put 40 on someone.

tontoz
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Can you imagine Howard with a post game? or a jumper he would be insane.

The problem is that Howard has been in the league 4 years playing big minutes and has shown no signs of developing a post game or a jumper. He hasn't improved at the foul line either.

he benefitted last year by Batties injury. that forced them to play Rashard at the 4 which cleared out the middle and made it easier for Howard to get all the way to the rim. In a traditional offense he wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Even with Howard averaging 14 rebounds a game Orlando was still a below average rebounding team. That should tell you something.

hoopslife
10-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Even with Howard averaging 14 rebounds a game Orlando was still a below average rebounding team. That should tell you something.

And what does Orlando ranking 5th in defensive efficiency with Lewis, Turk, Nelson and Mo Evans in the starting lineup tell you?

Also Orlando ranked 6th in defensive rebounds because of Howard alone so what does that tell you as well.

D. Howard is being severely under-rated here.

2LeTTeRS
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Good question.

Wow....funny how things work there way out, and even though when you said that in June 2007 it could have been valid, now I don't think it could be more wrong. We didn't know it at that time, but I now will go as far as saying there is no big in the league with hands as good as Dwight's. I do agree with you though that (offensively at least) soft hands are the most important thing for a big. As of now this is an undisputed advantage for Dwight, we're still waiting to see how good Oden's hands are.

statman32
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow....funny how things work there way out, and even though when you said that in June 2007 it could have been valid, now I don't think it could be more wrong. We didn't know it at that time, but I now will go as far as saying there is no big in the league with hands as good as Dwight's. I do agree with you though that (offensively at least) soft hands are the most important thing for a big. As of now this is an undisputed advantage for Dwight, we're still waiting to see how good Oden's hands are.
:no:

Forgetting a certain # 1 that plays for the Suns. I have no problem with people saying Dwight is better although I disagree but saying Dwight has better hands? :hammerhead:

Sharas
10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I disagree. Oden's game is just as raw offensively as Dwight. He won't be able to put up Dwight type numbers because Dwight is the man in Orlando and Oden hasn't proven he can do that. Dwight scored 21 a game last year in the NBA with hardly no skills. People seem to not realize how amazing that is, and personally I'll take production over skill anyday.

And also speaking about skills, I refuse to believe Dwight at 22 is done developing. Big men (especially those with Dwight's freak athleticism and quickness) normally take longer to learn the game because they've been able to dominate just off physical ability for so long. Just off his hands (which before last year people said were only average, just to find out that he possibly has the best hands in the league for a big) and athleticism Dwight will continue to give you 20 a game for the rest of the career, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Look at other big men Amare Stoudemiire, Shawn Kemp and Karl Malone (and to a lesser extent his big man coach Patrick Ewigng and Hakeem Olajuwon) as guys who came in the league pretty raw offensively, and over the course of there careers developed into some of the more skilled bigs in the league. Give Dwight a few more years before you count him out as just a guy you can't run an offense through.

at dwight's current age, amare was way more advanced offensively. do you remember his first season with nash, before the surgery? i won't say he was a better player, but offensively, he was much, much better. at least he already had a serviceable jumper and better FT shooting ability.

this is obviously all speculation, since oden hasn't played a NBA game yet, but again, i think he has all the tools to be better at least on offense than dwight. dwight is one of a kind physical specimen, but oden isn't really that much worse. and he easily looks like a more talented basketball player.

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
How does Oden have more potential than D12?

Because it's this simple. Oden has a stronger combonation of athleticism and raw skill. Seems to be a much more intelligent basketball player as well.

2LeTTeRS
10-21-2008, 01:44 PM
:no:

Forgetting a certain # 1 that plays for the Suns. I have no problem with people saying Dwight is better although I disagree but saying Dwight has better hands? :hammerhead:

Well Amare is up there too, I still give it to Dwight though based on degree of difficulty. I've seen him go up and get passes that should not have been humanly possible to be caught with either hand.

this is obviously all speculation, since oden hasn't played a NBA game yet, but again, i think he has all the tools to be better at least on offense than dwight. dwight is one of a kind physical specimen, but oden isn't really that much worse. and he easily looks like a more talented basketball player.

I still don't see it, I guess time will tell. As far as I'm concerned, Oden has better feet, and Dwight has better hands.

statman32
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Well Amare is up there too, I still give it to Dwight though based on degree of difficulty. I've seen him go up and get passes that should not have been humanly possible to be caught with either hand.

Really? I respect your opinion so its gonna be something I watch for this season.

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
If Amare never had the knee injury, and was still the beast that #32 was ... he'd be the best big man in the league once Duncan and KG retired.

tontoz
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
And what does Orlando ranking 5th in defensive efficiency with Lewis, Turk, Nelson and Mo Evans in the starting lineup tell you?

Also Orlando ranked 6th in defensive rebounds because of Howard alone so what does that tell you as well.

D. Howard is being severely under-rated here.

The Hawks got more rebounds than the Magic and the Hawks aren't a good rebounding team. The lack of rebounders on the Magic gives Howard more opportunities to get them. The Magic only outrebounded their opponents by .31 on the season.

I don't know how much credit you can give Howard for his defense since they gave up 3.4 more ppg when he was playing.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ORL16D.HTM

He still can't score outside 3 feet after 4 years in the league.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ORL16A.HTM

he is also a turnover machine. He averaged 3.2 turnovers compared to only 1.3 assists. Considering how many shooters they have to space the floor that is just lame.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 01:56 PM
at dwight's current age, amare was way more advanced offensively. do you remember his first season with nash, before the surgery? i won't say he was a better player, but offensively, he was much, much better. at least he already had a serviceable jumper and better FT shooting ability.

He does have a lot of tools and he might very well be as good as or better than Howard some day maybe who knows but right night Howard is get extremly undrestamated. So what if he does not have a jumper or alot of post moves(not yet atleast) He still produces at a high rates and gives you 20 points on a good field goal percentage and rebounds the **** out of the ball, Basically Oden has a while to go before he will get to were Dwight is

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
The Hawks got more rebounds than the Magic and the Hawks aren't a good rebounding team. The lack of rebounders on the Magic gives Howard more opportunities to get them. The Magic only outrebounded their opponents by .31 on the season.

I don't know how much credit you can give Howard for his defense since they gave up 3.4 more ppg when he was playing.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ORL16D.HTM

He still can't score outside 3 feet after 4 years in the league.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ORL16A.HTM

he is also a turnover machine. He averaged 3.2 turnovers compared to only 1.3 assists. Considering how many shooters they have to space the floor that is just lame.

But look how productive he is inside still is going to dominate the inside

KeylessEntry
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
The key word that most people in this thread are choosing to ignore: Potential

Sharas
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
He does have a lot of tools and he might very well be as good as or better than Howard some day maybe who knows but right night Howard is get extremly undrestamated. So what if he does not have a jumper or alot of post moves(not yet atleast) He still produces at a high rates and gives you 20 points on a good field goal percentage and rebounds the **** out of the ball, Basically Oden has a while to go before he will get to were Dwight is

on an important possession, you can't just give the ball to dwight and get out of way. he just isn't a force 1-on-1 on the offensive end.
if everything goes right, i think oden will be that kind of a force. he just seems like more intelligent and talented basketball player. his skills are same or better even now, and he has all the upside in the world to build upon that.

again, this is all speculation since oden has proven nothing, but if everything goes well, i think he can be better than dwight in just about everything except rebounding and dunking.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
on an important possession, you can't just give the ball to dwight and get out of way. he just isn't a force 1-on-1 on the offensive end.
if everything goes right, i think oden will be that kind of a force. he just seems like more intelligent and talented basketball player. his skills are same or better even now, and he has all the upside in the world to build upon that.

again, this is all speculation since oden has proven nothing, but if everything goes well, i think he can be better than dwight in just about everything except rebounding and dunking.

I'll agree with mos to that I just thought Howard was getting under rated, And Oden could end up being better than Howard as I have said many teams but its all based on potential Oden has not proved anything on the NBA level. So when people are writing Howard sucks Oden is going to be better for sure thats incorrect. But I guess this is a pointless arguement cause most people have agreed its all potential

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Oden already has a better knwoledge of the game, and how to properly utilize himself. D12 has him athletically, but the fact that Oden still has great athleticism, has ALOT of skill already as a young ball player with room still to grow gives him a distinct advantage over Howard. Intelligence really does play a part in upper echelon levels of sports from sperating athletes, when alot of skill and athleticism is of a similar scale. That's when the intangibles come into play. And Oden has those on Howard.

tontoz
10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
So when people are writing Howard sucks Oden is going to be better for sure thats incorrect.

Why don't you point out where someone said that. Looks like a strawman to me.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Dwight sucks. Oden is god.

Just looked at a few pages and found that one, but most of them werent coming straight out with it like this one. And I could be wrong but I think I saw a few were people said Oden is already better but Cant really remeber and dont feel like looking through every page

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
If someone is as biased and down right crazy enough to say Dwight Howard "Sucks" and Oden is "God" would you take said person seriously? Let alone the comment?

tontoz
10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
If someone is as biased and down right crazy enough to say Dwight Howard "Sucks" and Oden is "God" would you take said person seriously? Let alone the comment?

Obviously it was a joke but it went right over the head of Nuggets Fan.

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Obviously it was a joke but it went right over the head of Nuggets Fan.
Right. But he's using it as the foundation for his argument.

:roll:

tontoz
10-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Right. But he's using it as the foundation for his argument.

It is either that or admit it is a strawman. Personally i would rather just admit i made up a strawman but to each his own.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
It is either that or admit it is a strawman. Personally i would rather just admit i made up a strawman but to each his own.

Are you kidding me? Alrite so noone is this thread has been hyping Oden way over the top, noone in this thread has been under rating Howard. Your kidding yourself if I'm going to go threw all these pages to prove that point that is so clear its unreal, go check pretty much every thread and see how Oden is over hyped.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Are you kidding me? Alrite so noone is this thread has been hyping Oden way over the top, noone in this thread has been under rating Howard. Your kidding yourself if I'm going to go threw all these pages to prove that point that is so clear its unreal, go check pretty much every thread and see how Oden is over hyped.

The only thing that I will give you is the fact that not many knowlegable people have said that Howard sucks but many are under rating him so thats what I based my arguement on.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:03 PM

And noone is under rating Dwight Howard? are your dense or just blind?

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Definetely not dense, and since I'm reading your post ... not blind. D12 isn't being underrated at all here. He's already got 3 years of NBA experience. Oden is a rook, and has already shown the potential to be a much greater player.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Hear's one I just saw. Oden wins games plain in simple(has not played an NBA game but ok) Howard just seems nice and Orlando is a crappy team. Like I'm not even a big fan of Howard but some people are ridiculous

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Definetely not dense, and since I'm reading your post ... not blind. D12 isn't being underrated at all here. He's already got 3 years of NBA experience. Oden is a rook, and has already shown the potential to be a much greater player.

He has the potential to be the greater player but as you can see some people think thats a 100% shot to happen. And you seriously think Howard is not being under rated hear...

tontoz
10-21-2008, 04:13 PM

It doesn't matter whether people are overrating Oden or underrating howard. Your quote is more definitive. Let's look at it again..

Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
So when people are writing Howard sucks Oden is going to be better for sure thats incorrect.

I don't see anyone saying Howard sucks or that Oden will definitely be better. The question at hand is potential.

2LeTTeRS
10-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Oden already has a better knwoledge of the game, and how to properly utilize himself. ..Intelligence really does play a part in upper echelon levels of sports from sperating athletes, when alot of skill and athleticism is of a similar scale. That's when the intangibles come into play. And Oden has those on Howard.

Wait a minute what are you basing this intelligence advantage on? I haven't seen it. And it also seems like you're pulling the intangibles thing out of you're ass. Where has Oden shown these supposed intangibles? Even if Oden had no injury concerns I'd still take Howard over him, but seeing that he is coming off a microfracture, one of his legs is at least an inch longer than the other one, and he also had the wrist injury in college.

D12 has him athletically, but the fact that Oden still has great athleticism, has ALOT of skill already as a young ball player with room still to grow gives him a distinct advantage over Howard.

What skills (offensively at least) has Oden shown? I've seen him dunk and score on a little jump hook. Dwight does that too. Oden has never shown himself able to have an offense run through him, and he barely scored 20 points a game in high school. I'm not saying he's a bad offensive player, he does have skills, but people are overrating the man he was hyped as the next Bill Russell, and not the next offensive juggernaut like Shaq, Kareem or Wilt for a reason.

Samurai Swoosh
10-21-2008, 04:23 PM
He has the potential to be the greater player but as you can see some people think thats a 100% shot to happen. And you seriously think Howard is not being under rated hear...
When basing off potential, nothing is certain. Of course. You shouldn't even have to argue that.

But out of what he's show thus far already as a rookie, COMING OFF MAJOR INJURY, he's near the same level as Howard already. On defense no less, and thats Howard's greatest strength. On offense, Oden has already shown he is the better basketball player, with even more room to grow and flourish.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:25 PM
The only thing that I will give you is the fact that not many knowlegable people have said that Howard sucks but many are under rating him so thats what I based my arguement on.

If you read like 4 posts above you would see that I agree and over stated my self with that so that is my bad, And I relize it is potential and Oden has alot but when people just start ripping on Howard and saying how Oden is going to be much better based on potential than I think that is wrong. The question is does Oden have more potential than Howard and the answer could be yes or no and explained why but people are under rating Howard and over hyping Oden plain and simple. Howard is still young and can become better just as Oden is still young and basically is all potential except for his size and the ablities he has shown thus far. Thats all I was trying to say and if you look up a few more posts I showed a more quality example of under rating Howard and admitted that the one quote I used was stupid and lazy of me

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
When basing off potential, nothing is certain. Of course. You shouldn't even have to argue that.

But out of what he's show thus far already as a rookie, COMING OFF MAJOR INJURY, he's near the same level as Howard already. On defense no less, and thats Howard's greatest strength. On offense, Oden has already shown he is the better basketball player, with even more room to grow and flourish.

Are you serious you think Oden is near the same level as Howard already after a few preseason games!!! this is what im talking about under rating Howard and over rating Oden

J000
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
potential? i've lost it for Greg Oden ever since his right wrist injury in college. Then offseason he got injured also. His chances are lowering but, Dwight Howard's potential is much higher than his.

Nets fan 93
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Dwight plays good D and his offense is way better than Odens...

kumquat
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Not even close, Oden already has shown more moves in a few preseason games than Dwights NBA career.

1000yearsofPAIN
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
OP is dumb as hell, they aren't the same height, Howard is 6'10 at best while Oden is legit 7'0", that is not the same height at all.

Kiddlovesnets
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Oden can shoot 6-7 foot jumpers like Shaq, while Dwight can't even shoot at all and almost all his points come from dunking over smaller players.

1000yearsofPAIN
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Not even close, Oden already has shown more moves in a few preseason games than Dwights NBA career.
Exactly, people say Dwight has post moves but all he can do is dunk when under the basket or alley oop, or clank a hook shot off the rim. That doesn't equal offensive skill. It's like people only see the PPG but don't actually watch him play. Oden is already better than Howard at offense.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Exactly, people say Dwight has post moves but all he can do is dunk when under the basket or alley oop, or clank a hook shot off the rim. That doesn't equal offensive skill. It's like people only see the PPG but don't actually watch him play. Oden is already better than Howard at offense.

I think everyone who has seen Dwight play would know that he does not have many post moves or a jumper. Tho he can back down defenders. Oden is not better than Howard right now(Get off Odens jock strap) Dwight still puts the ball in the basket gets his points and shoots a good field goal percentage tho he might not have many moves he still produces at a pretty high level. Oden has played in a few preaseason games so you should probably wait a week before you hope on the bandwagon:oldlol:

WildStyle
10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Dwight has a solid jumphook (both a running hook and a stand still hook) and can shoot it equally well with either hand. He has an excellent spin move to the basket off of a face up.

People saying all Dwight does is dunk are just ignorant on the subject. It's that simple.

NuggetsFan
10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Dwight has a solid jumphook (both a running hook and a stand still hook) and can shoot it equally well with either hand. He has an excellent spin move to the basket off of a face up.

People saying all Dwight does is dunk are just ignorant on the subject. It's that simple.

I agree with some of that, Dwight clearly does more things then dunk but he does have a few moves. People just follow other posters and think he just dunks his way to 20+ ppg

fiad06
10-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Oden can shoot 6-7 foot jumpers like Shaq, while Dwight can't even shoot at all and almost all his points come from dunking over smaller players.

Take a look at the shotcharts here

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=281020001
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=281018014
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=281016030
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=281010019

Select Dwights name and see the shots he attempted and made...They all don't look like dunks to me.

You may not like Dwight and thats fine, just don't make bull**** up when you never watch Magic games.

Thanks.

josh99
10-22-2008, 02:49 AM
According to 82games only 30% of Dwight's shots are dunks. Whats wrong with dunks anyway?? Do they go in too much for your liking? And you say that Dwight is just beating up on smaller guys, and yet some people say that he's 6'9.

Obviously Dwight has more potential that Oden because Dwight is already an All-Star while Oden hasn't played a real game in the NBA yet. And Oden was out for a year with a bad injury which doesn't help his case.

Nash-tastic
10-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Oden's hype has gone too far this time!
Im a Dwight Howard fan, call me a homer or bias but Howard is still better than Oden at this point and i dont see that changing anytime soon

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 07:13 AM
BUMP. Had to be a dick after all the heat I took in this thread. I know its only 1 game but how's Oden offensive game looking?

chains5000
10-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Oden's hype has gone too far this time!
Im a Dwight Howard fan, call me a homer or bias but Howard is still better than Oden at this point and i dont see that changing anytime soon
WOW, who would have expected that?:rolleyes:

G-train
10-29-2008, 07:19 AM
if you know its one game, i presume you know its his first nba game, and I presume you know he is returning from injury, and I presume you know he is playing a top team.... really, thats just a dumbass post. no two ways about it.

Geandily
10-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I like the logical arguments from the Dwight Howard haters:

"Ummm Dwight Howard is actually three inches shorter than Greg Oden OK?"

"ALL DWIGHT HOWARD CAN DO IS BULLY SMALLER PLAYERS"

"Greg Oden actually has OFFENSIVE SKILLS"

So lets see their argument here:

Greg Oden is better because he's taller than Dwight Howard and while Superman is only 6'9 all he can do is "bully smaller players".

Greg Oden is better because all Dwight Howard can do is dunk.

:hammerhead:

Do you people even watch Magic games? Good god

G-train
10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
no doubt Dwight is a special player with loads of potential. But todays game is not good evidence to support an argument. At the end of the season, bump this thread and look at the facts.

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 07:29 AM
doubt Dwight is a special player with loads of potential. But todays game is not good evidence to support an argument. At the end of the season, bump this thread and look at the facts.

I will. Heres a few gems though from he 2 years that this thread has been alive.

Did Dwight Howard lead a college team all the way to the NCAA fnals? ...No. It's hard not to throw in the he did it with his left arm too. 15 ppg and your talking trash about his offense, Howard's career high in PPG is 17.

Great touch and precise coordination.
Dwight has neither so far.

Not to mention extreme intelligence.
Dwight don't have that either.

Dwight is about 5 years ahead athletically though :lol:
but Greg, athletically, when he was healthy,
was an athletic mix of Dave Robinson, Shawn Kemp, and...

*tries to think of 7footer with great pigeon-toed lateral quickness*
Young 298lb. Shaq?

HeyIt'sMe
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
BTW, despite the love affair with Oden here and how much of a "freak" he is, Dwight is even more of one. He's every bit as long as Oden (Dwight actually has a bigger wingspan), despite being two inches shorter, he's more athletic, and we all know how strong he is.

Oden might develop better offensive moves in the future, but his offensive game looked hideously bad last night. I can't wait for Dwight to abuse this guy the first time they meet up.

It's simply mindboggling how underrated Howard is. Like it's common for every 22 year old to put up 20/14.

GOBB
10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
BTW, despite the love affair with Oden here and how much of a "freak" he is, Dwight is even more of one. He's every bit as long as Oden (Dwight actually has a bigger wingspan), despite being two inches shorter, he's more athletic, and we all know how strong he is.

Oden might develop better offensive moves in the future, but his offensive game looked hideously bad last night. I can't wait for Dwight to abuse this guy the first time they meet up.

It's simply mindboggling how underrated Howard is. Like it's common for every 22 year old to put up 20/14.

You're not PleezeBelieve?

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
You're not PleezeBelieve?

Nah that is PleezeBelieve I think. I know its weird not seeing him on Bron's nuts, but he always did like Dwight and Kevin Durant.

GOBB
10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Nah that is PleezeBelieve I think. I know its weird not seeing him on Bron's nuts, but he always did like Dwight and Kevin Durant.

He did? Greg Oden went to Ohio State University. I might have to search some threads because I cant see him favoring Durant over Oden. Threw me for a loop. He is a biased Clevland fan (pro/college) if I ever saw one.

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM
He did? Greg Oden went to Ohio State University. I might have to search some threads because I cant see him favoring Durant over Oden. Threw me for a loop. He is a biased Clevland fan (pro/college) if I ever saw one.
I don't think he's really biased for the team. He just likes LeBron. He hates everybody else on the Cavs team. I don't think with him its hometown thing, its more of him liking who he likes.

chains5000
10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
He hates Kevin Durant, and yes, it is him.

HeyIt'sMe
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm not anyone's alter ego. Just making a simple observation since everyone seems to think Oden is so much better than Howard.

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
He hates Kevin Durant, and yes, it is him.

He hates Durant? I know I've seen him alot in Durant threads, maybe I had it backwards. He does seem to like Dwight though.

tontoz
10-29-2008, 12:32 PM
There are obviously some people here who don't understand the meaning of the word potential.

hawksdogsbraves
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Im a big fan of both Dwight Howard and Greg Oden but I can honestly say that I don't think Oden will ever come close to Dwight in terms of being a star in this league. Dwight is better at literally every facet of the game right now, plus Oden is a ticking time bomb in terms of injuries while Dwight has never missed an NBA game (that is absolutely ridiculous for a center).

If Oden ever puts up 20-15 then we can begin to have a legitimate conversation about this, but until then you might as well be comparing Robin Lopez to Amare Stoudemire; there's just no comparison.

eliteballer
10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Dwight is not more athletic. He might jump higher, but Oden is very explosive for a man his size, gets off the floor real quick. Not only that, but Oden is taller, almost/as massive yet he is MUCH MORE AGILE, and probably more coordinated.

brandonislegend
10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Dwight Howard is a TANK never missed a game in liek 3 season i think

greg oden cant even play 1 regular season game

LA_Showtime
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Oden really disappointed me last night but I think he'll be fine in the long run if he can stay healthy. Remember, Amare Stoudemire looked terrible right after his surgery and look at him now.

dab0yech0
10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Oden's legs looked incredibly thin for a guy his size and im sure it has something to do with that surgery. Hes gonna have to build some lower body strength or eat whatever Yao's eating to get those big calves.

HeyIt'sMe
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Dwight is not more athletic. He might jump higher, but Oden is very explosive for a man his size, gets off the floor real quick. Not only that, but Oden is taller, almost/as massive yet he is MUCH MORE AGILE, and probably more coordinated.

Oden is very athletic for a 7 footer, but he's not as athletic as Dwight. Howard tested better at the Orlando pre-draft camps in both the lane and agility tests, and quite honestly, all you have to do is watch the two and it's clear who the better athlete is.

Myth
10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Oden is very athletic for a 7 footer, but he's not as athletic as Dwight. Howard tested better at the Orlando pre-draft camps in both the lane and agility tests, and quite honestly, all you have to do is watch the two and it's clear who the better athlete is.

Dwight is certainly more athletic considering Oden's current physical conditioning. Dwight is probably more athletic than Oden when Oden is in shape too, but I don't think it is a very large gap.

hawksdogsbraves
10-29-2008, 04:08 PM

I just don't know how you could think that Oden is as athletic as Dwight, it makes no sense to me. Dwight is faster, stronger, can jump higher, move quicker, and is insanely tough and resistant to injury.

Oden gets way more credit than he deserves on these boards (he has proven NOTHING except that he is very injury prone). Dwight can be compared to other great centers (Yao, Duncan, Stoudemire) but to compare him to a rookie whose only real accomplishment so far is looking really old is crazy.

NuggetsFan
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Were is the person(s) that said that Oden is already on the same level as Dwight is? all of this is way too premature :oldlol:

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I don't see this coordination or agility out of Oden. When I watch him run he looks clumsy to me, almost like he has to think to put one leg in front of the other. Dwight looks much more fluid.

And you really want to go there with athleticism? You can argue Dwight as one of the games best athletes ever. Oden? He's good, matter fact a damn good athlete but not quite Dwight level. He's a step lower, on the same level of athleticism as an Andrew Bynum. Dwight is faster, jumps higher, quicker, and stronger. What else do you want?

Rameek
10-29-2008, 05:00 PM
To me Oden is quite overrated... He will be a good serviceable big but not as good as Dwight. Unless he learns some post moves he will be a bigger version of Okafor...

eliteballer
10-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think you guys have seen Oden when he has his regular conditioning like in college. He's MUCH more agile/quick than Dwight. He'll likely be stronger as time goes on as well, if he's not now. He's just naturally bigger.

G-train
10-29-2008, 07:36 PM
some guys need to you tube some vids of oden in last years preseason when he was in game shape. There is one montrous two hand dunk in particular that would show he is quite athletic.

HeyIt'sMe
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't think you guys have seen Oden when he has his regular conditioning like in college. He's MUCH more agile/quick than Dwight. He'll likely be stronger as time goes on as well, if he's not now. He's just naturally bigger.

Except he's not. Lane and agility tests have proven this. Stop overrating Olden.

2LeTTeRS
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM

I remember the big dunk attempt that Oden did that almost ended up looking like a Superman like layup against Florida. Oden is a hell of a athlete. But I said it up here that day and I'll say it again now Oden is not the type of athlete Dwight is. He never was, and claiming he's quicker than Dwight, the fastest/quickest center in the league is stupid.

--------------------------------------------------------

And honestly from looking at you're posts in this thread I see you have Oden's d*ck down you're throat almost as far as Kobe's. Theres no reason to go back and forth with you on this.

fiad06
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
There is no center in the league that runs the court faster than Dwight.

RAPSCANWIN
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Until Odens played a NBA game we'll never really know. Cause theres no comparing College to the NBA. I will say that the mins Oden played against the Lakers he looked overwhelmed.

Dwight however is a beast....

No real comparison.

72-10
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd say hell no

LA_Showtime
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Until Odens played a NBA game we'll never really know. Cause theres no comparing College to the NBA. I will say that the mins Oden played against the Lakers he looked overwhelmed.

Dwight however is a beast....

No real comparison.

Well he did play an actual game and look how he did. 13 minutes, early foul trouble, 0 points.

I'm kidding Blazer fans. I think Oden will be fine.

Myth
10-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Well he did play an actual game and look how he did. 13 minutes, early foul trouble, 0 points.

I'm kidding Blazer fans. I think Oden will be fine.

Injured a majority of those minutes. First game ever. Swarmed by Lakers defense. Still managed a big block and some decent rebounding.

Edit: LOL, I didn't see the white text until after my post.

LA_Showtime
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Injured a majority of those minutes. First game ever. Swarmed by Lakers defense. Still managed a big block and some decent rebounding.

Edit: LOL, I didn't see the white text until after my post.

:banana:

Myth
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
:cheers:

hoopslife
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
If you ask most Magic fans they'll tell you Dwight had a lackluster game against Atlanta and he still put up 22 pts, 15 rebs, 5 blks, and 5 stls. It's no comparison right now..

Myth
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
If you ask most Magic fans they'll tell you Dwight had a lackluster game against Atlanta and he still put up 22 pts, 15 rebs, 5 blks, and 5 stls. It's no comparison right now..

Well, no sh!t :oldlol:

bladefd
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I just read that Oden is out 2 to 4 weeks. I seriously wonder if he will get injured again after he comes back.
If he gets injured AGAIN as soon as he comes back, Oden is pretty much done because being injury-prone does not usually change. Just look at T-Mac. He looks healthy at the beginning of every season but he gets hurt A LOT.

LebrickJames84'
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
no

Godfather
01-20-2009, 04:06 PM
no

Good Job...:oldlol:

Biddy77
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
as someone who joined this site relatively recently, i found this thread to be pretty entertaining.

Valliant13
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Depressing.

RoseCity07
02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Dwight Howard rookie numbers: 12 PPG 10 RPG in 32 minutes per game, 52% shooting.

Greg Oden rookie numbers so far: 9 PPG, 7 RPG 22 minutes per game, 56% shooting.

Dwight wasn't coming off a year of not playing either.

NuggetsFan
02-22-2009, 10:24 AM

:confusedshrug:....Kinda funny reading this thread and seeing people overrate Oden.

NuggetsFan
02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Dwight Howard rookie numbers: 12 PPG 10 RPG in 32 minutes per game, 52% shooting.

Greg Oden rookie numbers so far: 9 PPG, 7 RPG 22 minutes per game, 56% shooting.

Orlando still a crappy team?:roll:

1~Gibson~1
02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
You cant get much better than 20/14 (dwight)

but you can improve from (whatever Oden has) to _______

beau_boy04
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM

that's almost a quarter difference. Maybe they are not that far apart comparing their rookie season. You can do alot in 10 minutes, but only if you can stay out of foul trouble and nagging injuries - you heard me Oden? stop being shy and start being more aggressive at both ends of the court.

Goku
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM

The_Yearning
02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
lmao at the fact that the name oden is in the same sentence as dwight...

JustinJDW
02-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Because Dwight is only as good as Jameer Nelson lets him be.

Goku
02-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Because Dwight is only as good as Jameer Nelson lets him be.

HATER ALERT

fiad06
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Dwight came straight from high school.

Younggrease
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM

:rolleyes:

DonDadda59
05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Talk about jumping the gun :oldlol:

2LeTTeRS
05-03-2009, 12:20 AM

I just had to quote this response again. This is a perfect example of overhyping a guy. The bad thing is RoseCity still won't admit he was wrong, he still tries to compare Oden to Dwight but now just sticks to their rookie years even though theres about a 1 year age different and Oden can't stay healthy while Dwight's never been hurt..