PDA

View Full Version : is alex ovechkin the most skilled hockey player ever

kennethgriffen
03-03-2019, 07:33 PM
sure he'l never be the greatest but considering the era and how advanced the game is. then factor in that he's been a 50 goal scorer seemingly every year since his rookie season

he's on pace to score nearly 60 goals this year at age 33

which would give him around 670 goals for his career

gretzky holds the record with 894..

he would only need to average 32 goals per season till age 40 to break the record

https://cdn-na16.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/gretzky-ovechkin.jpg

Jasper
03-03-2019, 08:17 PM
without injuries = good luck.

MrFonzworth
03-03-2019, 08:19 PM
He's already 33?

I havent watched a hockey game in years.

AlternativeAcc.
03-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Mike Trout > Ruth

ROCSteady
03-03-2019, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't say the most skilled ever but he has a wrist shot that may be the most unpredictable and effective ever because goalies have a hard time tracking it. Furthermore, they have a ton of power and he shoots bullets anyway imaginable. The most unstoppable play in hockey history may be Ovechkin one-time slap shot on the power play from the other point man.

Ovechkin has always been a good powerful skater, he was lightning fast in his first 5-7 yrs. Got a little lumbered by being too bulky and perhaps not training as intently as he should have. In that sense, his skills are still there but been worse at times

The thing that limits him from being most skilled ever is that his stick handling and dekes around defenders have deteriorated drastically, more stone hands than when he was young and dominate anybody.

Make no mistake though, Alex Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in hockey history

ROCSteady
03-03-2019, 10:43 PM
https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/298999104/1024x576/cut.jpg

LEGEND

kennethgriffen
03-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Mike Trout > Ruth

babe ruth won 3 world series as the best pitcher

then another 4 world series as the best hitter

at a time when 1 guy could carry a team since he was hitting more homeruns than most entire teams combined

ruth will never be topped. its almost impossible

DaHeezy
03-03-2019, 11:05 PM
He's not even the most skilled Russian ever. Many think Datsyuk was more all around skilled. Crosby is more skilled. McDavid is more skilled. Ovie may have the best one timer in history though. Up there with Brett Hull.

ROCSteady
03-03-2019, 11:37 PM
OV best one timer ever, not a debate. Hull def top 3.

Def more skilled players than OV this generation in terms of stick handling and playmaking, feathering passes, etc.

kennethgriffen
03-03-2019, 11:53 PM
He's not even the most skilled Russian ever. Many think Datsyuk was more all around skilled. Crosby is more skilled. McDavid is more skilled. Ovie may have the best one timer in history though. Up there with Brett Hull.

meant most skilled scorer

obviously theres better playmaker/scorer combos

but assists are whored out and overrated in hockey cause they give them to the 3rd last guy to touch the puck

it massively inflates the point totals of non goal scorers

Uncle Drew
03-04-2019, 06:21 AM
People watch hockey?

DukeDelonte13
03-04-2019, 08:43 AM
People watch hockey?

we exist.

72-10
03-04-2019, 03:16 PM
why ask such an insipid, penile question?

kennethgriffen
03-04-2019, 04:02 PM
why ask such an insipid, penile question?

this statement is sort of ironic considering insipid means lacking flavor and penile refers to what you suck on routinely

ROCSteady
03-05-2019, 09:54 AM
People watch hockey?

NHL has rabid fans. It's more of a niche sport but still very popular. Hockey fans >>>>>> basketball fans too. More knowledgable, not as autistic.

This very board proves that

JohnnySic
03-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Mario Lemieux is the most offensively skilled that I've seen.

Nanners
03-05-2019, 10:15 AM
back in my day, when your big boy teeth came in your hockey coach would pull em so you wouldnt miss a shift

DaHeezy
03-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Mario Lemieux is the most offensively skilled that I've seen.

I wouldn't say the most offensively skilled. He was a great mixture of size and skill and he was a great 2 way player. He did have great vision and creativity. Jagr was a little more skilled offensively.

Really, I think McDavid may the most skilled player of all-time. The things he can do at top speed most players can't do at half speed. Combined with being literally the fastest skater of all-time. He's unmatched. Too bad the Edmonton organization is a shit show. The seem to **** it up every year getting the right pieces.

DaHeezy
03-05-2019, 03:35 PM
NHL has rabid fans. It's more of a niche sport but still very popular. Hockey fans >>>>>> basketball fans too. More knowledgable, not as autistic.

This very board proves that

A-fricken-men

Basketball fans are literally stans.

A Gretzky stan is way more reasonable than a Jordan stan. Not even debatable.
And Gretzky in his sport >>>> Jordan in his sport in regards to debating who the greatest is.

Arguing a Greztky/Lemieux/Crosby debate is far more reasonable and civil that a Jordan/Kobe/Lebron debate. NHL fans seem to be a lot more open minded to the accomplishments of the other players than NBA fans are as a whole.

If you pointed out a flaw in Gretzky an NHL fan would likely agree with the flaw. Try and point out a flaw in Jordan and his delusional fans come guns a blazing, call you a hater and show their insecurity.

insidehoops
02-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Need to watch more hockey. Playoff hockey is awesome.

ROCSteady
02-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Ovechkin hit 700 goals 2 games ago, second youngest ever to do so. When you factor in how bad goalies sucked in the 80s and prior and how much easier it was to score goals . . . phenomenal stuff. Basically LeBron level dominance.

What's astounding is that he's 66 goals behind Jagr, who was basically the Kobe of NHL, and he's ten years younger than when JAgr retired.

Best Goal SCorer ever. Living Legend.

JohnnySic
02-25-2020, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't say the most offensively skilled. He was a great mixture of size and skill and he was a great 2 way player. He did have great vision and creativity. Jagr was a little more skilled offensively.

Yeah, I dont know about that. Lemieux would do things on offense that made me say "wtf was that?". He was like a cheat code. He wasn't just a great scorer with a great shot, he created plays and he seemingly did it on the fly.

ROCSteady
02-25-2020, 05:13 PM
Lemieux was a freak because he was like 6'6" and had the hands of an all-time great, great shot and one-timer too.

his stride in the open ice was uncatchable because he was so GD long.

Anyways, fck the Pens but I'll say since this is a basketball board

Gretzky : Jordan
Lemieux: Durant
Jagr: Kobe
Ovechkin: LeBron
Crosby: Magic