PDA

View Full Version : NBA TV ratings down 50% since 2010 among 18-34 year olds

STATUTORY
03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
https://twitter.com/JacobFeldman4/status/1101585769880342531

Lebron killed the NBA y'all :facepalm

I remember back in the day everybody couldn't wait to discuss Mamba's game at work the morning after. Nowdays people downright ashamed of the fact they watch this soft ass sport

FKAri
03-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Has nothing to do with Lebron or even the Warriors. Just look at the product, itself. Basketball as it is played in the NBA today is just not fun to watch.

kennethgriffen
03-04-2019, 12:37 PM
the miami collusion had a snowball effect that the nba has yet to recover from.. it only got worse with the warriors superteam

maybe when durant goes to new york things will finally be back to normal

its crazy how lebron killed the nba for an entire decade though

only the hardcore fans like us stuck with it out of spite. adam silver says nobody watched the allstar game.. wonder why. possibly cause its team lebron vs team nobody knows who the **** these guys are???

the nba fans wanted lebron vs durant.. or lebron vs harden... not that shit

FreezingTsmoove
03-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Not a single likeable star in todays game so no one really cares to watch. You would think the superstars of today wouldnt act like huge douchebags because of all the money they get paid BY THE FANS but they still do on a weekly basis. Giannis has to make a deep run this year so he can change the game, hes the only star who has respect for basketball fans.

FKAri
03-04-2019, 12:41 PM
adam silver says nobody watched the allstar game.. wonder why. possibly cause its team lebron vs team nobody knows who the **** these guys are???

the nba fans wanted lebron vs durant.. or lebron vs harden... not that shit
Is this a shot at Giannis? wtf you talking about? :oldlol:

Not a single likeable star in todays game so no one really cares to watch. You would think the superstars of today wouldnt act like huge douchebags because of all the money they get paid BY THE FANS but they still do on a weekly basis. Giannis has to make a deep run this year so he can change the game, hes the only star who has respect for basketball fans.
How is Curry not likeable?

ArbitraryWater
03-04-2019, 12:43 PM

this is what he did last game:

https://i.gyazo.com/e75af8061b592d5290fe5775650e6057.gif

FreezingTsmoove
03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Curry and Klay are very likeable. The game peaked in viewship when it was just Curry/Klay/Green ! But when you have a douchebags like Durant who is always disrespecting the fans of the game and Cousins who is the definition of an asshole its no suprise that no one wants to watch the Warriors.

bullettooth
Giannis has to make a deep run this year so he can change the game, hes the only star who has respect for basketball fans.

It takes an immigrant to have respect for american basketball fans.

Prometheus

:facepalm

wow

ArbitraryWater
03-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Curry and Klay are very likeable. The game peaked in viewship when it was just Curry/Klay/Green ! But when you have a douchebags like Durant who is always disrespecting the fans of the game and Cousins who is the definition of an asshole its no suprise that no one wants to watch the Warriors.

Klay has many dislikeable traits... dude walks out after losing, talks trash in press conferences before that (its a mans game), "thats what you get for being petty", stuff like that...

bullettooth
03-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Klay has many dislikeable traits... dude walks out after losing, talks trash in press conferences before that (its a mans game), "thats what you get for being petty", stuff like that...

Does he leave before the buzzer ends and hops on a bus before anyone else?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-04-2019, 12:49 PM
50% though?

:biggums:

I have to agree with the Giannis mention though. Dude seems genuine and down to earth. Easy to root for someone like that, but also one whose willing to improve every year.

ArbitraryWater
03-04-2019, 12:50 PM
50% though?

:biggums:

I have to agree with the Giannis mention though. Dude seems genuine and down to earth.

Giannis, Mitchell, Tatum... I like the look of the future, tbh.

Just gotta wait out this Warriors thing.

FKAri
03-04-2019, 12:53 PM
:facepalm

wow
If you find Curry unlikable then maybe narcissistic sociopaths are your thing. Have you looked into Lebron, MJ and Kobe? You know, the kind of guys who would do nothing for someone who can't do something for them in return.

BANE?
03-04-2019, 12:55 PM
NBA is a social media league. Not many people watch full games, they just watch highlights off of Instagram/Twitter and discuss soap opera shit

Prometheus
03-04-2019, 01:01 PM
If you find Curry unlikable then maybe narcissistic sociopaths are your thing. Have you looked into Lebron, MJ and Kobe? You know, the kind of guys who would do nothing for someone who can't do something for them in return.

To me, there's a big difference between liking a player on the court vs. off. Whenever I've heard Curry speak, I have liked him. He seems like a decent human being, and a bright one at that. I liked Kobe more, but still like Curry. MJ and LeBron are both 100% unlikeable off the court.

But ON the court, Curry is obnoxious as fuuuuuuck. People were outraged at LBJ dancing on the sideline once when he was like 15. Curry does it after every play (as long as his team is winning). Can't stand watching him play.

kennethgriffen
03-04-2019, 01:10 PM

its a shot at lebron having basically all the best players on his squad and giannis picking nobodies

they had curry and westbrook. but they're both frauds that are no real challenge to lebron

durant/kawhi/harden/george are the guys who can actually match up with lebron

and giannis is still relatively a nobody among casual fans

Mask the Embiid
03-04-2019, 01:11 PM
It's not fun watching lebron dominate the league if you're not a fan....id stop watching too

If dogshit ever took over the league id be done with the NBA.The amount of dick sucking espn/ his fans would do,would drive me right out of watching the sport.

Blame LeBron's dominance.When he was on bad teams for his 1st 7 years, everyone watched.

FKAri
03-04-2019, 01:12 PM
To me, there's a big difference between liking a player on the court vs. off. Whenever I've heard Curry speak, I have liked him. He seems like a decent human being, and a bright one at that. I liked Kobe more, but still like Curry. MJ and LeBron are both 100% unlikeable off the court.

But ON the court, Curry is obnoxious as fuuuuuuck. People were outraged at LBJ dancing on the sideline once when he was like 15. Curry does it after every play (as long as his team is winning). Can't stand watching him play.
I guess I have zero issues with "antics" like that. It's a game for entertainment. Taunting, celebrating, trash talk should all be legal imo. I don't want to see things like Trae Young's technical for staring last night.

PP34Deuce
03-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Curry has that "I've always been rich, but I still am an underdog so I'll gloat" type vibe. I actually like Curry though. He's a front runner but most players are.

MJ has had celebrities come out and say they didn't like his persona off the court. Lebron is actually pretty cool off the court. Most NBA legends can't stand how he controls on the court but even the ones that dislike rarely say bad things off the court.

G0ATbe
03-04-2019, 01:19 PM
TV ratings are down for everything. Nobody buys cable anymore, at least not young people. Have y'all been living under a rock?:lol

dankok8
03-04-2019, 01:31 PM
I live in Canada and at my work more people are debating soccer at this point than the NBA. There is really truth to the fact that basketball has become boring to watch. No physicality and the games have become 3pt shooting contests. Teams resting star players so much also deters fans IMO. You see these MVP candidates playing 33 minutes per game or sitting out back to backs. WTF...

ShawkFactory
03-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Steph Curry has maybe the league unwatchable, not Lebron.

It

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 01:56 PM
The players and coaches have destroyed the nba.

The constant of superstars banding together to negotiate playing together, and then the lack of defense, and folks running up and down the court shooting 3's.

Indian guy
03-04-2019, 02:21 PM
The numbers do not support this statement at all. All 3 channels that televise NBA games - ESPN, TNT and ABC - started posting their best ratings ever from 2011 onwards. And the NBA is a young person's game. If 18-34 year olds aren't tuning in, then the ratings would reflect that pretty clearly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_on_television

EDIT: OK, I get what he's saying now and it has absolutely nothing to do with the on-court product. Viewership on paid cable (ESPN, TNT) is down because less people choose to get cable than ever now. Streaming has completely changed how America, and particularly young people, watch TV today.

:oldlol: @ people using this opportunity to push their agenda. LeBron killed the NBA alright :oldlol:. When fact of the matter is, The Decision is the best thing that ever happened to the NBA. The ratings sky rocketed.

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 02:25 PM
The numbers do not support this statement at all. All 3 channels that televise NBA games - ESPN, TNT and ABC - started posting their best ratings ever from 2011 onwards. And the NBA is a young person's game. If 18-34 year olds aren't tuning in, then the ratings would reflect that pretty clearly.

The best ratings were clearly during the Jordan era, by your own information.

I think it has more to do with the style of play than anything else. 90's basketball was a special time. Even when Jordan was not around ratings stayed high.

Indian guy
03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
The best ratings were clearly during the Jordan era, by your own information.

I'm talking about the ESPN/ABC era (2003-current). They began posting their best ratings post-Decision. MJ, obviously, wasn't part of the ESPN/ABC era.

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 02:30 PM

EDIT: OK, I get what he's saying now and it has absolutely nothing to do with the on-court product. Viewership on paid cable (ESPN, TNT) is down because less people choose to get cable than ever now. Streaming has completely changed how America, and particularly young people, watch TV today.

:oldlol: @ people using this opportunity to push their agenda. LeBron killed the NBA alright :oldlol:. When fact of the matter is, The Decision is the best thing that ever happened to the NBA. The ratings sky rocketed.

Ratings improved, slightly but took a dive. 90's basketball was clearly the height of ratings and viewership.

Game 1 and 6 against Utah Jazz (Bulls) highest rated finals games....about double the viewership.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals_television_ratings

SouBeachTalents
03-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Ratings are down for almost everything because people are no longer purchasing cable, but of course your obsessed ass would make it out to be about LeBron :lol

ImKobe
03-04-2019, 02:32 PM
TV ratings are down for everything. Nobody buys cable anymore, at least not young people. Have y'all been living under a rock?:lol

This. You can google the live streams for free.

Indian guy
03-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Ratings improved, slightly but took a dive. 90's basketball was clearly the height of ratings and viewership.

Game 1 and 6 against Utah Jazz (Bulls) highest rated finals games....about double the viewership.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals_television_ratings

It's downright dumb to compare TV ratings from 20+ years ago to today. TV ratings for pretty much everything are wayyyy down. How we consume media has completely changed.

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm talking about the ESPN/ABC era (2003-current). They began posting their best ratings post-Decision. MJ, obviously, wasn't part of the ESPN/ABC era.

ok....

I think folks were interested in Lebron, but this constant narrative that has existed has destroyed the game along with lack of defense. I don't think the reasons rests on his shoulders. But Most NBA enthusiasts in my age group believe that this has destroyed the NBA.

Might as well make the NBA down to teams in only the 10 largest cities, and let them team up until their hearts are content.

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 02:39 PM
It's downright dumb to compare TV ratings from 20+ years ago to today. TV ratings for pretty much everything are wayyyy down. How we consume media has completely changed.

WRONG
Stop making excuses.
We consume television differently, but we do not consume sporting events differently.

The Superbowl has remained a constant, ratings down a tad this past season, but many were angry with the result of the officiating leading up to.

Baseball ratings have been up and down, no level of consistency.

Basketball ratings have had a steady decline..

NHL has had a steady uptick in viewership

Pushxx
03-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Ratings overall have been good though especially considering all TV ratings are down.

Spurs m8
03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
It's not fun watching lebron dominate the league if you're not a fan....id stop watching too

If dogshit ever took over the league id be done with the NBA.The amount of dick sucking espn/ his fans would do,would drive me right out of watching the sport.

Blame LeBron's dominance.When he was on bad teams for his 1st 7 years, everyone watched.

This is wheels, right?

This guy is so fvcking stupid...it has to he hahah

90sgoat
03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Doncic is going to save the league like Bird did in the 80s.

People just don't want to watch these primadonna losers.

I think Doncic should not do it though, the owners and the admin of the league hates europeans like him.

bigkingsfan
03-04-2019, 03:59 PM
The Superbowl has remained a constant, ratings down a tad this past season, but many were angry with the result of the officiating leading up to.

Super Bowl is national holiday, people watch it no matter what. NFL ratings been down vs 2016 season.

bison
03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
NBA is a social media league. Not many people watch full games, they just watch highlights off of Instagram/Twitter and discuss soap opera shit

This. Plus the 18-34 are probably more likely than any other demographic to illegally stream games.

bison
03-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Bowl is national holiday, people watch it no matter what. NFL ratings been down vs 2016 season.

Exactly. No one is going to get their friends and family together to watch the super bowl streaming from a laptop.

72-10
03-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Wonder what it is among the fiddy+ crowd

3ball
03-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Basketball isn't cool anymore because cool people don't do it anymore

In the old days, guys were tougher and harder, whereas now it's usually a former player's kid or some softie like Devin Booker..

no one wants to be like these guys anymore.. the average grocery store bagger is cooler, real talk

72-10
03-04-2019, 04:41 PM

No, it's not. It's a rating. Even when taken relatively, I bet it's way down.

SouBeachTalents
03-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Basketball isn't cool anymore because cool people don't do it anymore

In the old days, guys were tougher and harder, whereas now it's usually a former player's kid or some softie like Devin Booker..

no one wants to be like these guys anymore.. the average grocery store bagger is cooler, real talk
True, this was the epitome of cool bruh

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/john.stockton/images/john-stockton-1995.jpg

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/aSJEw5GznfY72JC_g5T40A--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjMwO2g9NDc0O2lsPX BsYW5l/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/MJITtop11513.jpg

red1
03-04-2019, 04:49 PM
True, this was the epitome of cool bruh

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/aSJEw5GznfY72JC_g5T40A--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjMwO2g9NDc0O2lsPX BsYW5l/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/MJITtop11513.jpg
straight up laughed out loud :oldlol:

'Toine=MVP
03-04-2019, 05:46 PM
There are a few problems. Lack of physicality hurts, especially since star players have always got generous calls and this makes it even worse. The FA superteam era is bad for the sport, but there have been other kinds of superteams before so it isn't that bad probably. The 3 point revolution has been bad for the game as well overall. Some pluses, but more minuses. None of these are the big problem with the NBA.

The NBA is a star driven sport and for some people to even have enough interest in the sport itself to watch their own home teams with no real super stars on it, they need the NBA itself to have a big hero. The closest thing we've had since Jordan has been Shaq and he was sort of an odd case since a lot of people hated him because of his playing style. Since then, we haven't had a big marketable star. Steph was looking like one for a while, when they were showing slow motion commericals of him all the time and people were happier watching those than the TV show being aired at the time. But he has been since exposed in the finals, and thoroughly and the NBA no longer really tries to market him as the star of the league. There is currently no one to market the league around.

SouBeachTalents
03-04-2019, 05:49 PM
There are a few problems. Lack of physicality hurts, especially since star players have always got generous calls and this makes it even worse. The FA superteam era is bad for the sport, but there have been other kinds of superteams before so it isn't that bad probably. The 3 point revolution has been bad for the game as well overall. Some pluses, but more minuses. None of these are the big problem with the NBA.

The NBA is a star driven sport and for some people to even have enough interest in the sport itself to watch their own home teams with no real super stars on it, they need the NBA itself to have a big hero. The closest thing we've had since Jordan has been Shaq and he was sort of an odd case since a lot of people hated him because of his playing style. Since then, we haven't had a big marketable star. Steph was looking like one for a while, when they were showing slow motion commericals of him all the time and people were happier watching those than the TV show being aired at the time. But he has been since exposed in the finals, and thoroughly and the NBA no longer really tries to market him as the star of the league. There is currently no one to market the league around.
LeBron & Kobe weren't marketable stars

:roll:

Even after PR fiascoes like The Decision & legal issues like Colorado, LeBron & Kobe are easily two of the biggest stars the league has ever had. Just look at this board for proof of that

knicksman
03-04-2019, 06:08 PM

damn. you bron stans really are dumb. Of course its high in the short run but it sacrifices the future of the nba. We all know, players would be forming superteams from then on and thats what will kill the nba.

sd3035
03-04-2019, 07:21 PM

This is the truth. MJ and Lebron are about the 2 biggest douches the league has seen. Kobe, Durant, and Shaq aren't far behind

Curry is a rare exception. He might showboat sometimes but he's as unselfish as they come as far as NBA superstars go

STATUTORY
03-04-2019, 08:03 PM

This is very true, NBA viewers has more overlap with TMZ than other sports

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 08:22 PM

2 years of ratings declining is not enough to claim a decline. Especially when ratings were the highest in 2012 and 2015, the highest since the 80's.

Callystarr
03-04-2019, 08:23 PM
This is very true, NBA viewers has more overlap with TMZ than other sports

Oh sure... :facepalm

What facts have you pulled this from?

eliteballer
03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Lack of parity is the problem.

NBAGOAT
03-04-2019, 10:14 PM
r/nbastreams should make up for a decent portion of that

Ben Simmons 25
03-04-2019, 10:15 PM
Has nothing to do with Lebron or even the Warriors. Just look at the product, itself. Basketball as it is played in the NBA today is just not fun to watch.

It's not even just that.

2007 was when the first iPhone hit the market.

I mean... HELLO, PEOPLE? HELLO?

Once smartphones truly started to become a staple of one's pockets, sports started to take a back seat.

It also doesn't help that the league has turned into dogshit, you're definitely partially correct.

Ben Simmons 25
03-04-2019, 10:26 PM

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :applause:

90sgoat
03-04-2019, 10:28 PM

:lol

Watching right now.

Celtics 1825
03-04-2019, 10:29 PM
This.

Who the **** is gonna pay for league pass when they can watch all the games on the internet for free?

NBAGOAT
03-04-2019, 10:37 PM
This.

Who the **** is gonna pay for league pass when they can watch all the games on the internet for free?

pretty much every tv show in the world is dropping in ratings besides a few that hit us culturally and grow every season which is pretty much just Game of Thrones. Even Walking Dead is dropping even though that is related to quality too.

Friends and Seinfeld used to get 30mil/episode in the 90s. NCIS even in 2010 was getting 20mil/episode and now it is one of the highest watched on Tv with like 13mil. TV is imo a lot better than it was in 2010 so it's not a quality problem either. Ik the NBA is less entertaining for most and likely a factor but it doesnt have to be.

Marchesk
03-05-2019, 12:56 AM
Even Walking Dead is dropping even though that is related to quality too.

That's for sure. I couldn't finish season 8. The whole Savior conflict was done so poorly.

SpaceJam
03-05-2019, 01:09 AM
I can understand why, most of basketball fans my age were pretty disgusted when Gasol was robbed of FMVP in 2010

'Toine=MVP
03-05-2019, 09:02 AM
LeBron & Kobe weren't marketable stars

:roll:

Even after PR fiascoes like The Decision & legal issues like Colorado, LeBron & Kobe are easily two of the biggest stars the league has ever had. Just look at this board for proof of that

They are not stars. This board is proof of that. Only goods try to pretend Jordan's popularity is a result of YouTube. Those guys were seen on a different level. Kobe and LeBron are great talents but just not inspiring players and had some questionable histories. The fact that a quarter of this board is dedicated to trying to get the rest of the place to see the light on these guys is proof.

Wally450
03-05-2019, 10:29 AM
OP is such a cuck. Can't not talk about LeBron. :lol

sd3035
03-05-2019, 10:31 AM
People got bored of seeing the league try to rig things for Lebaldo and him still failing to deliver most of the time

Charlie Sheen
03-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Local fans are less interested in paying for these rich tv deals, plus a combination of tanking and load management strips away some of the interest in the regular season.

game3524
03-05-2019, 03:17 PM
They are not stars. This board is proof of that. Only goods try to pretend Jordan's popularity is a result of YouTube. Those guys were seen on a different level. Kobe and LeBron are great talents but just not inspiring players and had some questionable histories. The fact that a quarter of this board is dedicated to trying to get the rest of the place to see the light on these guys is proof.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Kobe and LeBron are the two biggest stars the league has seen outside of MJ. LeBron is on pace to be a billionaire and Kobe is one of the most financially successful NBA players of all-time. Both guys shoe lines are big time anchors for the Nike brand.

Anyway, the league's problem isn't lack of marketable stars. The issue is the game itself. The analytic nerds like Daryl Morey and John Hollinger have made the game unpleasant to watch. Now every team plays exactly the same way due to what the numbers says. No one wants to watch a three point chuck fest and a free throw shooting contest.

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
You have no clue what you are talking about. Kobe and LeBron are the two biggest stars the league has seen outside of MJ. LeBron is on pace to be a billionaire and Kobe is one of the most financially successful NBA players of all-time. Both guys shoe lines are big time anchors for the Nike brand.

Kobe, LeBron & Jordan certainly aren't the three best players of all time, but yeah, I tend to agree with you... I'd say it's arguable that they are the three biggest star NBA players/most famous NBA players of all time.

Magic and Bird are household names also not to be cast aside... Shaq is too... but I'm not sure that any of those guys have bigger names than Kobe, LeBron & MJ as of 2019.

In terms of global fame? It probably goes something like...

1) Jordan
2) LeBron
3) Kobe
4) Magic
5) Bird
6) Shaq

Something like that.

game3524
03-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Kobe, LeBron & Jordan certainly aren't the three best players of all time, but yeah, I tend to agree with you... I'd say it's arguable that they are the three biggest star NBA players/most famous NBA players of all time.

Magic and Bird are household names also not to be cast aside... Shaq is too... but I'm not sure that any of those guys have bigger names than Kobe, LeBron & MJ as of 2019.

In terms of global fame? It probably goes something like...

1) Jordan
2) LeBron
3) Kobe
4) Magic
5) Bird
6) Shaq

Something like that.

I would throw Iverson and Yao on there. But those top 6 should be on anyone list.

'Toine=MVP
03-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Global fame is far from what I'm talking about. When Kobe and LeBron are the faces of the league, the league is going to suffer.

game3524
03-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Global fame is far from what I'm talking about. When Kobe and LeBron are the faces of the league, the league is going to suffer.

This makes zero sense.

The league is better off when it expands globally. Being as big globally as LeBron or Kobe is good for the league.