PDA

View Full Version : This Lakers squad is arguably the worst shooting team around LeBron during his career

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Don't get me wrong... he's had less talented teams in terms of the individual players compared to the individual players... but that was way back at the beginning of his Cleveland stint and he was more athletic then with a better ability to get to the basket... and he's just about never had a team that was this incredibly inefficient at shooting threes.

LeBron is still the same guy he's always been... a slightly worse version offensively and a much worse defender... but that's not the big problem with the Lakers. And it's not the fact that he's moved to the West.

LeBron, as he has done throughout his career, either shoots threes or he bullies his way to the basket for a score or a kick out to a three point shooter. This has been his bread and butter for the duration of his ENTIRE CAREER. Drawing doubles and finding the open man.

Well... he's still drawing doubles on his way to the basket... he's still finding the open man. The guys around him are just completely awful three point shooters, with or without him.

The Lakers are 28th/30th in 3 point shooting percentage. This is completely atrocious for a LeBron led team and the fact that they're 28th with him means it's extremely likely they would be 30th without him.

If you look back at 2009 and onward, he's almost always had a team that was in the top 10 if not top 5 in terms of three point shooting percentage. And part of that has always been his ability to find open guys... but obviously, him finding guys that are actually capable of hitting threes is a huge deal.

The Lakers don't have any shooters.

Anyone that believed prior to the season starting that the Lakers were going to contend for a title with this roster is retarded.

Anyone that is using this season as an indictment on LeBron's entire career is retarded.

Chances are... you... you reading this... you're retarded.

kennethgriffen
03-05-2019, 03:43 PM
if only lebron could conform to a normal offensive system that doesn't rely on a drive and kick bran ball philosophy

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 03:44 PM
if only lebron could conform to a normal offensive system that doesn't rely on a drive and kick bran ball philosophy

And that's a completely fair criticism of his game. No doubt about it. But I'm just tired of hearing about how he can't handle the West. No, that's not the problem. The problem is that this team and him do not mesh at all... not in the slightest.

NBASTATMAN
03-05-2019, 03:53 PM
And that's a completely fair criticism of his game. No doubt about it. But I'm just tired of hearing about how he can't handle the West. No, that's not the problem. The problem is that this team and him do not mesh at all... not in the slightest.
Worst shooting team in the league... Lebron the best three point shooter on team ... Tell me a player that did well with the worst shooters and all those injuries

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
You're not wrong.

The Lakers have crappy shooting. They're littered with young talent but as mentioned, they're ultimately constructed poorly. 'Magic surrounding Lebron with a bunch of players who need the ball in their hands? Yeah. Sounded ridiculous then just like you're seeing it now, unravel.

With that being said, missing the playoffs your first year OUT WEST matters. I don't know to what extent. It counts for something though.

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Worst shooting team in the league... Lebron the best three point shooter on team ... Tell me a player that did well with the worst shooters and all those injuries

Given the incredible focus of 3 point shooting in today's league, even if LeBron was an incredibly versatile scorer, it's likely the Lakers still struggle. But they'd be better than they are now.

But... you're at least partially right.

There might not be a single player in the league that could drag this team out of the gutter.

Maybe Harden because of his step back 3, maybe... that'd probably be it.

kennethgriffen
03-05-2019, 03:58 PM

wrong

lebrons needed to coast, play laid back on defense, have little squabbles/coaching/player changes/growing periods that you can get away with in the west

in the west you need to be locked in from day one. you gotta buy in at the start of training camp and give 100% all year. theres no time to slack off

the reason lebrons been able to turn it up so much in the playoffs each of the last 3-4 years is because he could save himself... in the west doing this makes you miss out on the post season

last years cavs team misses the playoffs in the west too. lebron should have been finished a long time ago if he played in a real conference

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 04:01 PM
wrong

lebrons needed to coast, play laid back on defense, have little squabbles/coaching/player changes/growing periods that you can get away with in the west

in the west you need to be locked in from day one. you gotta buy in at the start of training camp and give 100% all year. theres no time to slack off

the reason lebrons been able to turn it up so much in the playoffs each of the last 3-4 years is because he could save himself... in the west doing this makes you miss out on the post season

last years cavs team misses the playoffs in the west too. lebron should have been finished a long time ago if he played in a real conference

No, I'm not wrong. You're wrong.

If those shitty Cavs from last year were in the West with LeBron this year they 100% would be a playoff team because they were way better constructed to LeBron's game.

You're right that he's coasted the regular season and you're right that's saved his ability for the playoffs... but neither of those things has anything to do with the fact that this is an incredibly shitty three point shooting team and if you gave him a team this year that was even in the middle of the pack in terms of three point shooting, they'd be in the playoffs. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but you're wrong.

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 04:03 PM
You're not wrong.

The Lakers have crappy shooting. They're littered with young talent but as mentioned, they're ultimately constructed poorly. 'Magic surrounding Lebron with a bunch of players who need the ball in their hands? Yeah. Sounded ridiculous then just like you're seeing it now, unravel.

With that being said, missing the playoffs your first year OUT WEST matters. I don't know to what extent. It counts for something though.

It only matters if you don't put an ounce of thought into it. If you literally only think about it in terms of LeBron = East = Finals... LeBron = West = missing playoffs.. HURR DURR... LEBRON SUX COX!!... then sure... it "matters."

If the Lakers use this offseason to get LeBron some shooters and defenders and don't trade their entire roster for Anthony Davis, you will see the Lakers skyrocket up in the standings and all of this hoopla about the West will be instantly dead and over with.

Da_Realist
03-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Sure. Now let's finally look at it from a different perspective.

The Lakers needed a guy that would provide the necessary leadership and experience to get them over the hump. A guy hyped as the best in the league. A guy they can count on to set the example in effort, competitiveness, defense and discipline. Maybe they got the wrong guy.

Ben Simmons 25
03-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Sure. Now let's finally look at it from a different perspective.

The Lakers needed a guy that would provide the necessary leadership and experience to get them over the hump. A guy hyped as the best in the league. A guy they can count on to set the example in effort, competitiveness, defense and discipline. Maybe they got the wrong guy.

Or maybe I'm right. (I am)

kennethgriffen
03-05-2019, 04:06 PM
No, I'm not wrong. You're wrong.

If those shitty Cavs from last year were in the West with LeBron this year they 100% would be a playoff team because they were way better constructed to LeBron's game.

You're right that he's coasted the regular season and you're right that's saved his ability for the playoffs... but neither of those things has anything to do with the fact that this is an incredibly shitty three point shooting team and if you gave him a team this year that was even in the middle of the pack in terms of three point shooting, they'd be in the playoffs. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but you're wrong.

with all the problems the cavs had last year you actually think that team makes the playoffs out west?

:lol

no chance in hell

tpols
03-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Kobe at the same age led a poor 3pt shooting team with even more injuries to a playoff berth.

Man can you imagine the circus if dwightmare was on this years laker team? :lol Forget the awful on court fit with LeBron the off court media frenzy would be untoppable.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-05-2019, 04:18 PM
It only matters if you don't put an ounce of thought into it. If you literally only think about it in terms of LeBron = East = Finals... LeBron = West = missing playoffs.. HURR DURR... LEBRON SUX COX!!... then sure... it "matters."

If the Lakers use this offseason to get LeBron some shooters and defenders and don't trade their entire roster for Anthony Davis, you will see the Lakers skyrocket up in the standings and all of this hoopla about the West will be instantly dead and over with.

Riiiiight.

By that line of "thinking", you have no issue with Lebron's play this season.

Not his inability to play off the ball. The costly, missed freethrows in crunchtime. His bad defense. Or that he's been a terrible in-game leader.

In other words? There's no accountability for Lebron.

Seriously though. He does just ONE of these things better, and LA is a playoff team.

Da_Realist
03-05-2019, 04:26 PM
In other words? There's no accountability for Lebron.

Bingo. Never ever LeBron's fault. Ever. Even when his own teammate has to push him to play defense in a must-win game. He doesn't have the right mix or the right chemistry or the right coach.

LeBron chooses his team every four years! He chose the Lakers well before leaving Cleveland. He knew what kind of players he was choosing to team up with. Nobody forced him to move to LA.

tpols
03-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Not everybody is cut out for the wild west, sorry.

Even Derozan has felt its wrath, a man who regularly led 1 and 2 seeds in the east, is an 8 seed out west with better teammates and franchise.

Its just that brutal out here.

NBASTATMAN
03-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Kobe at the same age led a poor 3pt shooting team with even more injuries to a playoff berth.

Man can you imagine the circus if dwightmare was on this years laker team? :lol Forget the awful on court fit with LeBron the off court media frenzy would be untoppable.:facepalm
Hey idiot didn't that team have Nash ,MEEKS,BLAKE ..Three guys that can shoot better than any teammate of Bron with their eyes closed.

tamaraw08
03-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Don't get me wrong... he's had less talented teams in terms of the individual players compared to the individual players... but that was way back at the beginning of his Cleveland stint and he was more athletic then with a better ability to get to the basket... and he's just about never had a team that was this incredibly inefficient at shooting threes.

LeBron is still the same guy he's always been... a slightly worse version offensively and a much worse defender... but that's not the big problem with the Lakers. And it's not the fact that he's moved to the West.

LeBron, as he has done throughout his career, either shoots threes or he bullies his way to the basket for a score or a kick out to a three point shooter. This has been his bread and butter for the duration of his ENTIRE CAREER. Drawing doubles and finding the open man.

Well... he's still drawing doubles on his way to the basket... he's still finding the open man. The guys around him are just completely awful three point shooters, with or without him.

The Lakers are 28th/30th in 3 point shooting percentage. This is completely atrocious for a LeBron led team and the fact that they're 28th with him means it's extremely likely they would be 30th without him.

If you look back at 2009 and onward, he's almost always had a team that was in the top 10 if not top 5 in terms of three point shooting percentage. And part of that has always been his ability to find open guys... but obviously, him finding guys that are actually capable of hitting threes is a huge deal.

Anyone that believed prior to the season starting that the Lakers were going to contend for a title with this roster is retarded.

Anyone that is using this season as an indictment on LeBron's entire career is retarded.

Yes, Yes, I said thi before too. The past Lebron's teams thrived with good 3pt shooting. Even without Kyrie last year, Cavs ranked 5th in the league at 112 but for the Lakers to be this bad, it's a combination of things. TWolves ranked 4th in ORTG last year and barely made the playoffs.
The bottom 11 teams in ORTG will not make the playoffs this year.
Bottom 7 teams in 3pt% will NOT make it to the playoffs too.
OKC ranked 23rd in 3pt% but make it up with being 3rd best in DRTG.
The last 10 games, Lakers ranked 27th in DRTG while still middle of the pack in ORTG at 16th place.
Yes the defense or lack thereof from an 80% Lebron might have something to do with it but it's plain stupid to simply pin this only to him esp when you consider where the Lakers ranked BEFORE he got injured.
For the month of December, Lakers was ranked 9th best in DRTG.
https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3 (https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3)
Its a combination of Lonzo injury, trade rumors and McGhee's lack of focus IMO.

tamaraw08
03-05-2019, 07:14 PM
:facepalm
Hey idiot didn't that team have Nash ,MEEKS,BLAKE ..Three guys that can shoot better than any teammate of Bron with their eyes closed.
Kobe's team at age 34 shot 35.5%, ranked 19th(Kobe shot 32%) while Lebron's current team actually ranks 28th at 33.6%(Lebron shoots at 35%) and dead last in FT%.
Now, who can use math if the current team only shoots 35.5% from the 3pt area and about 76% (ranked 19th in the league):confusedshrug:

Charlie Sheen
03-05-2019, 07:39 PM
I defend the guy as a coach, but this is one of Luke's weaknesses. They've never even approached an average 3pt shooting team during his tenure.

NBASTATMAN
03-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Kobe's team at age 34 shot 35.5%, ranked 19th(Kobe shot 32%) while Lebron's current team actually ranks 28th at 33.6%(Lebron shoots at 35%) and dead last in FT%.
Now, who can use math if the current team only shoots 35.5% from the 3pt area and about 76% (ranked 19th in the league):confusedshrug:

Take Kobe and Lebron out of the equation numb NUTS.. :lol

Lakers without Kobrick shot 36.256 :eek:

Lakers without Lebron shooting 33.412 :facepalm

Kobe's lower shooting brought the team down.. Lebron's higher shooting than his teammates brings his teams up..

NICE TRY :lol

NBASTATMAN
03-05-2019, 10:46 PM
I defend the guy as a coach, but this is one of Luke's weaknesses. They've never even approached an average 3pt shooting team during his tenure.

I dont think Luke is such a bad coach.. His team just quit after all star break.. Not his fault either.. Magic and Bron are the culprits

34-24 Footwork
03-06-2019, 06:33 AM
Welp....at least we all saw this coming.

Let me guess...this squad is worse than the 2007 Cavs?

34-24 Footwork
03-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Ironically, Lebron is probably the WORST defensive teammate the young core has had, as well.

iamgine
03-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Hart, Kuzma, KCP were very good shooters a season ago but I'm not sure why they've tanked their 3pt% this season.

nayte
03-06-2019, 07:05 AM

You maybe right but from all I have read. Isn't this the team LeBron wanted

Gileraracer
03-06-2019, 07:11 AM
That's why he tried to trade half the roster.

UNfortunately the Pelicans weren't interested :lol

Shaquille O'Neal
03-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Too many other flaws with Lebron's game though to even be thought of as GOAT; finals losses aside.
Never learned how to play off the ball.
Never developed a back to the basket / post game

Free throws especially late game

I can't say he's really evolved over the years. Outside of the paint, he's still a below average jump shooter. Most of his offensive is due to his size/muscle/strength and athleticism, not pure skill / footwork / tons of moves. He either stiff arms and spins or just spins really.

tamaraw08
03-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Ironically, Lebron is probably the WORST defensive teammate the young core has had, as well.

And yet Lakers with Lebron ranked 9th in defensive rating for the month of December. :(

tamaraw08
03-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Take Kobe and Lebron out of the equation numb NUTS.. :lol

Lakers without Kobrick shot 36.256

Lakers without Lebron shooting 33.412

Kobe's lower shooting brought the team down.. Lebron's higher shooting than his teammates brings his teams up..

NICE TRY :lol
Well duh :rolleyes: , that's the whole point of me INCLUDING THEIR respective 3pt% with their teams' overall 3pt% at age 34.

Try to imagine if you replace Lebron with Harden, would this team really be better. Imagine Harden trying to set up guys like
Kuzma- 31% or Ingram, Hart, Ball all under 33%. Would he really make a difference esp if he miss 17 games?:confusedshrug:
For the month of January, 15 games this team shot UNDER 31% from the 3pt area. :banghead:

TheCorporation
03-08-2019, 02:18 AM

Bingo :bowdown: